News:

Populated by the admins and moderators of your other favorite sites!

Main Menu

The Grand Sultan

Started by Anastasia, November 02, 2018, 05:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

For the sake of both our references, could you paste your proposal? Just easier for both of us to have it here instead of another tab open on it.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Corwin

This is the original proposal by the Grand Sultan:

1. Celestia, The Cauldron and the Efreet Empire will cease direct conflicts until the time Shar is deemed adequately checked, defeated or slain. There will be a grace period of 3 years thereafter for all sides to recover and adjust before this agreement dissolves. This includes influencing allies against each other. Minor conflicts amid mortal followers and worshipers are deemed inevitable and understandable, but no side will escalate a situation that occurs naturally nor will they openly charge their follows to continue it.
2. Celestia and the Cauldron will ignore the slave trade. In return, no escalations or further reprisals will be instigated by the Efreet Empire or any allies of the Efreet Empire over slavery.
3. All sides of this agreement will make a good faith effort to uphold all aspects of this agreement. Previous matters of contentions are agreed by all parties to be tabled until this agreement is dissolved.
4. The Efreet Empire, the Cauldron and Celestia shall share intelligence related to Shar and Sharran activities. A good faith effort by all parties will be made to share information. Information that directly exposes or compromises other interests may be held back, so long as a good faith effort is made to not abuse this. To establish this cooperation, a bureau will be created to facilitate this transform of information, with the details to be resolved at a later date.
5. A joint commission will be established to mediate any conflicts that arise from this bureau or related matters of this agreement. It will be manned by three parties - one to represent the interests of the Cauldron and Celestia, one to represent the interests of the Efreet and one neutral party chosen in agreement by all sides of this agreement. In cases of dispute or disagreement, the rulings of this commission will be final. All sides agree that no effort to suborn or magically enchant the members of this commission will be attempted.

This is our counter-proposal:

1. Celestia, The Cauldron and the Efreet Empire will cease direct conflicts until the time Shar is deemed adequately checked, defeated or slain. There will be a grace period of 3 years thereafter for all sides to recover and adjust before this agreement dissolves. This includes influencing allies against to cease any such direct conflicts between them and one of the signatories. Minor conflicts amid mortal followers and worshipers are deemed inevitable and understandable, but every effort must be made by those further up the literal or spiritual chain of command to deescalate the situation.
2. The slave trade will be stopped at once, and any subject of the Grand Sultan found in violation of this clause will be put to final death, his belongings seized for the Grand Sultan's treasury. Any resident of Fire engaging in the slave trade and existing outside the purview of the Grand Sultan will not enjoy the throne's protection and may be attacked by the signatories of the treaty with impunity.
3. All slaves held by the subjects of the Grand Sultan must be freed at once, and delivered to a planar location of their choice. The location in question may not be one of the lower planes or a hostile environment unable to sustain life. Failure to adhere to this on the part of the slave owner will mark them as in violation of the treaty, subject to the seizure of all their assets by the Grand Sultan.
4. All sides of this agreement will make a good faith effort to uphold all aspects of this agreement. Previous matters of contentions are agreed by all parties to be tabled until this agreement is dissolved.
5. The Efreet Empire, the Cauldron and Celestia shall share intelligence related to Shar and Sharran activities. A good faith effort by all parties will be made to share information. Information that directly exposes or compromises other interests may be held back, so long as a good faith effort is made to not abuse this. To establish this cooperation, a bureau will be created to facilitate this transform of information, with the details to be resolved at a later date.
6. A joint commission will be established to mediate any conflicts that arise from this bureau or related matters of this agreement. It will be manned by four parties - one to represent the interests of the Cauldron, one for Celestia, one to represent the interests of the Efreet and one neutral party chosen in agreement by all sides of this agreement. In cases of dispute or disagreement, the rulings of this commission will be final. All sides agree that no effort to suborn or magically enchant the members of this commission will be attempted.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

The two are read and the Grand Sultan flashes both of you a smile.

"So," he says, "What do you hope to argue down to?"
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

"We wanted to put our wishes out there, but as with any negotiations, I expect that both of us shot far enough to be able to meet somewhere in the middle," Seira responds. "Since the proposals were both to the point, I would be happy to follow suit in the actual negotiations with the understanding that this directness does not in any way imply disrespect."

She points at their counter proposal. "Clauses two and three form the core of our ideals. To put it simply, all of us do not wish to see people enslaved, each for our own reasons. However, as with any true negotiations, we are willing to go a great deal to try and find a solution that is acceptable to you. After all, Waukeen teaches us that the best deals, the ones that endure the test of time, are those where both sides profit."

Anastasia

The papers vanish and the Grand Sultan says, "I require a short time to consider and analyze them," he says. "Have you eaten yet?"
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

"Not yet. And even if I had, I wouldn't refuse such an offer after the meal we were served last night."

Anastasia

You'll be to your own devices for a little while. Want to skip along or do anything in the interim?
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

This is more important to me than anything else, so I would like to skip along to the negotiations.

Anastasia

About an hour later you're back in the same room. As the Grand Sultan enters, "Ah, Barachiel, Seira!" he greets, "I trust your fast was broken well?"

"We are ready," Barachiel agrees, "Are you?"
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

"Yes, thank you," Seira says for her part, wondering what the Sultan's name actually is. She never considered looking it up since she didn't think a situation where she might use it would arise, but perhaps she should look into that later?

Anastasia

"You understand why parts 2 and 3 can't be accepted," The Grand Sultan continues.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

"I think they could be, actually," Seira comments. "Though I am certain a suitable alternative could be negotiated. What are the most difficult aspects, and which ones could you live with, if I might ask?"

Anastasia

Give me a Sense Motive check here before anything else.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Taking 10, Divine Insight, +14 Wis-boosting marshal aura (Honeydip's last setting), result of 88.

Anastasia

Since I saw a certain person lurking super late...

"The honorable slave trade has been a part of efreet culture since times of the tribes." The Grand Sultan smiles knowingly, "Formalized by the Crimson Firebrand in his reorganization of the efreet into the empire you see today, it is an integral part of the world. Slaves are used properly for the greater glory of all efreet."

As he speaks, Seira can notice a feeling. A feeling of heat, a feeling of being sized up.
<Afina> Forever.