Diplomatic aftermath

Started by Anastasia, November 13, 2018, 03:39:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Once the three of you are in the Luna Del Stronger, Elle asks, "What happened?"

Lady Honeydip flutters to a display case and sits atop it.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Corwin

"Take us home for the time being," Seira says, getting herself a drink. "He refused to budge on the two slavery clauses and his counter offer was money to get us to go away. It's open war now."

Her fingers tap against Luna Del Stronger's bar as she asks Honeydip, "Would you mind telling me where the Court would stand on this issue?"
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

"A glass as well, please," Lady Honeydip asks as Elle gets to work. "I don't know for certain," she admits, "But I know you're a friend of the Court and that matters for a lot. I believe Her Majesty would be willing to hear you on this matter."
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Seira pours one for Honeydip before refilling her own. "The chance always existed, though I hoped things would go better. Since you were there, give me your honest opinion. Did I cause this? Or was our goal impossible through diplomacy?"

Anastasia

Lady Honeydip has a long sip of her drink before she smacks her lips, "Strong," she murmurs, putting it down. "I don't know. I got a sense the Grand Sultan felt you asked too much, but asking someone not to be a slaver is hardly a sin. Perhaps he hoped to bowl you over or curry your favor to a palatable agreement."
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

"It was all about slavery. Stopping it, and freeing the slaves. He didn't show willingness to entertain either under any conditions. The opening bid was just that, but he refused to consider any proposed amendments either. If we weren't walking out of there with a road map to abolition, it was always going to be war. Please tell me that's how you saw it, too? It'd be just my luck if I misread his responses."

Anastasia

"No, I don't think he was willing to bend there - or couldn't. Lord Barachiel mentioned a coup and I wonder if he feared the same if he folded to your demands." Lady Honeydip says. "The efreet are not kind or are they forgiving, many desire to rule."
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

"In the end, he was another dreary tyrant in a long line of them. Gathering his people to his banner was possible, even if he had to take refuge in audacity." Seira sighs. "All water under the bridge, now. I'll visit the Court and Sylica... Amaryl would probably be best as the one approaching the Seldarine," she murmurs to herself. "The trade initiatives, of course, but those can be left to Sanzha for the time being. Any other obvious allies? Ah, Aurora, can't forget them."

Anastasia

"We're back," Elle calls over, "This is going to cascade now, so let's focus on that. More importantly, we're likely looking at the efreet, the devils and the dao at a minimum, before they call on any other allies."
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

"The dao aren't a given, since we've yet to act against them," Seira muses. "Even if they know our plans, quiet intervention on a low level might be preferable to direct warfare. Still, we'll have to prepare for that."

Giving the liquor a longing glance, Seira puts down her glass. "This is what we're going to do. Elle, fill everyone in and then I'll ask you to look in on Balmuria. Suggest to Hellman, Marianne and Lyris that the need for resolving the Da'avid situation has become pressing, and get a clear timetable from them. If it is doable now, see what reason there is for delays."

For her part, Seira will indeed ask Amaryl to approach the Seldarine without delay, and have Donald and Kascha meet with Aurora's leadership to appraise them of the developments on Fire and ask for their involvement if at all possible. This is one case where even if the vampires decide to throw in their lot with the efreet, Fire is hardly an ideal staging ground for them.

"The two of us will make way for the Court at once," she tells Lady Honeydip. "I'll bring my general along, and hopefully we could figure out our next move together."

Assuming agreement, she intends to depart with Lady Honeydip and Valar to the Court of the Stars.

Anastasia

"Let us go," Lady Honeydip says.

"One thing," Elle speaks up before you go, "Do you know how fast official declarations of war will take to be issued?"
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

"No, though you could check in with Celestia about that and let us know."

Anastasia

Okay, just one question. What do you want Amaryl to approach the Seldarine about? Joining the war? Advising them that it's happening? Something else? Just want to be clear here.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Advising them on events, yes, and then inquire about joining the war effort. I'll leave the judgement to her, though I'm interested in at least a token 'show the flag' assistance. It would be better if she secured more, of course.

Same for Donald (and Kascha) with Aurora's leadership. I'm leaving that to the npcs since they're there, since Kascha was one of the officers, and since I was one of the leadership and want to recuse myself from that.

Sanzha receives a reminder that we're on the clock and that it would be supremely helpful if she had results from her mission to the Mercane (it was to see if they're willing to deal on our two requests, try to determine whether they're being on the level, and seeing if she can tell what happened with their apparent coup).

I will issue an 'official' announcement to my allies after the meeting at the Court, or if the Sultan's people show up at the Cauldron to deliver an official declaration of war, whichever comes first.

Anastasia

Okay, we'll round that up once you return from the Court of Stars. Any prep before you go?
<Afina> Forever.