News:

"With great power comes the opportunity to abuse that power."

Main Menu

Diplomatic aftermath

Started by Anastasia, November 13, 2018, 03:39:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corwin

Seira doesn't rush to a response, going over everything once more in her mind. Just like that, the stakes have risen far beyond what she had originally intended, so now she'll need to make the right choice for her.

"Maintaining my alliance is paramount, if I am to achieve victory on all fronts," Seira says at last. "For that to happen, the rules of engagement throughout must adhere to those of my forces during the Androlynne and Agares campaigns. To avoid a misunderstanding, are you familiar with them?" she asks Yan-C-Bin, her tone professional and with exceptional effort towards avoiding any hint of offense. Perhaps if she'd made that extra effort with the Sultan....

"The targets in this war are the adult dao and those who have joined the war on their side as their allies," Seira continues to lay out the way said rules of engagement would be interpreted in the current war. "Noncombatants amidst the dao and amidst their aforementioned racial allies are defined as either those who have yet to reach the age of majority for races capable of growing up, or those who do not hold slaves, do not enlist to fight in the war and do not live in any settlement the population of which has a majority of combatant. In the event of edge cases where adhering to these rules of combat will put undue danger to your forces, such as a planned assault on a majority-civilian metropolis with a very strong contingent of military defenders, you may call on me to come in person and shoulder those risks myself."

Dune, as discussed in PM, I'm detailing the 'minimal requirement'/'lowest common denominator' rules of engagement for those fighting on my side by referring to previous campaigns. This way rules-lawyering over some forgotten aspect is avoided while the intent is clear and present. Please let me know if sufficient clarity is lacking.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

"Mercy to those of Earth," Yan-C-Bin hisses like a gale squeezed through a straw, "Why spare their children? They will become more dao, more of the slavers you hate."
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Corwin

"The slavery is part of their culture, not nature. They weren't born slavers, and if we do this right they won't grow up like the previous generations. I have people who oversaw the deprogramming of Sharran nations with quite the degree of success after we subjugated them, so I'm confident I could make it work. Also, regardless of my sentiments, I believe this to be a superior tactical choice. Those with no way to retreat will fight as cornered, wounded animals. On the other hand, give those cowards a way out and they will fall over each other to surrender, bringing overall victory that much closer."

Anastasia

"Foolishness," Yan-C-Bin says, "The dao will not change - they will play at sword point if they must, but they will not find a better nature. Your hope blinds you to reality - they must be wiped away with winds, reduced to dust."

"Hey Seira," Donald speaks up, even as wind blows his hair, "Someone doesn't know your record of doing impossible things through hope. You really need to make sure people hear this before they open their mouths."
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

"Donald truly does cut to the heart of things," Seira agrees. "Not only do I believe in this, but that very belief is part of my nature, as much of it as the winds are a part of yours. Perhaps time will prove me the foolish one, yet leave that failure to me. Your victory will be just as clear regardless. After all, I doubt you would find facing against children a worthy challenge."

Anastasia

"Yeah, and besides," Donald goes on, "You're destruction," He points at Yan-C-Bin, who gazes on at Donald like he is a bug to be crushed. "You really want to sit back and not take your shots at Earth, twiddle your breezes while war comes to Earth? So let me lay this out here: We don't agree, we don't get along. But you know what? We both need the dao dealt with. Play along with our rules and you'll get plenty of destruction. Don't and well...why would you be the representation of winds and destruction again?"
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

"We'll get more done working together," Seira says, presenting a more mellow message while not contradicting or rebuking Donald for his all the same. "I know it, which is why I've approached you. You know it too, which is why you're here listening. We're negotiating over the specifics, but here too there is little maneuvering space due to your interests and my pre-existing allies. And yet, despite that, we're still here, talking, because we see a way for both of us to get enough of what we want out of this. I propose we make it official."

Anastasia

Give me a diplo check, +2 since Donald helped out and you said some of the right things.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

19:47 <CC> roll 1d20+67+15+16
19:47 <Penuche> CC invokes Penuche's magic: < 106 > [d20=8]

+2 so 108.

Anastasia

There is a pause where the only noise is the blowing of the air. Finally, he says, "I would see this item of Earthbone Steel for myself before anything else. Show it to me."
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Seira shoves her right hand into a rift that appears at her side; it leads to the Cauldron, and her avatar hands over the mace in question after having retrieved it from the secure vaults.

"Dylisal," Seira announces, drawing it forth. "A powerful if profane weapon, taken from a worthy foe in battle. Incredibly powerful enchantments, even for a regular weapon, but it is its composition that makes it truly priceless, either to use or as a bargaining chip with Earth."

Corwin

Dylisal: Earthbone Steel Heavy Mace+8, profane burst and impact. No price because Earthbone Steel is essentially priceless. You pay favors and other such things for it, not money.

Anastasia

Winds begin to whip around Yan-C-Bin, his gaze intent on the mace. He says not a word, but his attention seems fully on it, eyes locked on hard.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Seira is happy to be holding it through a glove, frankly, though she doesn't show any signs of it. She can wait Yan-C-Bin out.

Anastasia

"I will destroy it," Yan-C-Bin intones, winds starting to pick it up, "Destroy that loathesome thing! Give it to me and I shall wreak my vengeance on the dao."
<Afina> Forever.