News:

You have made a powerful enemy today, stop sign.

Main Menu

Emancipation

Started by Anastasia, August 22, 2019, 01:38:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corwin

"I'll see what I can do," Seira promises, producing a sword almost as tall as she. Wielding it without much trouble, she says, "Could you please cast a holy spell at an artificially low power into it so that I might absorb and thus purify it? One of Shar's proxies had it, so it's for a doubly worthy cause!"
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Mystra glances at the sword.

It isn't really the same as a mage casting a spell.

It's not quite like alter reality, either. It simply happens, a spell passing through the blade, holy energies tingling throughout your body as you hold the sword.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Corwin

Trying to match Mystra's spellcasting while activating the sword's ability to absorb magic might be a bit too cheeky normally, but since Seira asked her to use a much lower power for the spell it should work!

I hope so, anyway. This was the original sword:
Sorrowful Sword: Large greatsword+6. Any damage this blade deals is vile damage. As a swift action, you may attempt to absorb a spell cast on you into the blade. Make an opposed caster level check, the sword has a modifier of 1d20+33. Success absorbs and negates the spell, failure has the spell unaffected. 350,000 gold.

Anastasia

The spell is absorbed...and in your hands the blade shatters into dust.

Yet another blade is in your hands, lines of purple running down the polished steel of the sword.

Loot.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

"Thank you~!" Seira chirps, stowing it away again. "My advice request had to do with this set."

This time, three weapons are summoned over and she keeps them floating in mid-air off to the side.

"I assume they are a set, at least, given the same maker and the same final user, plus the curse. Now, I've tried legend lore and all the usual tricks, so that's how I learned of the evil they were used to slay and of how the curse was made by some force rather than hostile sapience. I hit a wall there, however. My first thought was to ask the Seldarine for insight into the last owner's final quest, but then I realized that I was thinking as a mortal. Instead of pursuing such knowledge personally, wouldn't it be more effective if I knew, as a goddess of knowledge, how to draw it to me? Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, a proverb goes; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Do you think you could teach me to catch a fish, Mystra?"

Anastasia

Do me a quick favor and paste the stats of those in here, would you? I'll need them for reference.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Here you go.

Spoiler: ShowHide

Qualles: This cloak of elvenkind grants a +15 competence bonus to Stealth checks and a +6 enhancement bonus to Dexterity. When worn by an elf, they gain a +2 bonus to Dexterity (stacks with the enhancement bonus), a +2 to attack rolls with long swords or longbows and a +5 bonus to saves against enchantment spells and effects. However, Qualles is cursed. Any who wear it suffer 4d10 damage per round and are nauseated (no save). As it is cursed, no price is provided.

Qualles was made by Ardunlan the Gold, an elven warrior who wore it for many adventures, including the slaying of Nolofar, the Plague from the Stones. The last owner is easy - Alumar Starwarden. Whatever cursed it wasn't a person - it was a force. Dark as these curses are, they weren't the result of an intelligent being.

Star Shot: Longbow+5, anarchic. Gains the ghost touch, holy and keen properties under star light or in the hands of a star elf. Star Shot is cursed. Whenever an arrow is fired from it, one of the wielder's fingers are sliced away by the razor sharp bowstring. This deals 3d10 damage as well as results in the loss of a finger. A DC 20 Dexterity check avoids this fate. This check must be repeated for each arrow and any result of a natural 1 always fails this check, no matter how the total. As it is cursed, no price is provided.

Star Shot was made by Ardulan the Gold, an elven warrior who wielded in many adventures, including the rout of the Twivel. The last owner is easy - Alumar Starwarden. Whatever cursed it wasn't a person - it was a force. Dark as these curses are, they weren't the result of an intelligent being.

Star Sword: Longsword+5, holy. Gains the ghost touch, keen and frost properties under star light or in the hands of a star elf. Star Sword is cursed. Any attack with it has a 25% chance to strike an adjacent ally instead. If there is no adjacent allies, the attack instead targets the wielder. As it is cursed, no price is provided.[/i]

Star Sword was made by Ardulan the Gold, an elven warrior who wielded in many adventures, including his last. It is said that he gave his life to defeat Rodal, The Ever-Night. The last owner is easy - Alumar Starwarden. Whatever cursed it wasn't a person - it was a force. Dark as these curses are, they weren't the result of an intelligent being.

Anastasia

Mystra examines each weapon, "So you wish a spell to understand their history better, superior to even Legend Lore?"
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

"If that's your advice to me to understand the reasons behind curses properly, then I would appreciate such a spell."

Anastasia

Mystra nods, "Understanding curses is no small undertaking, for there are more reasons and causes of them than bestow curse," Mystra says, "I suggest you get comfortable."
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Seira summons a queen's ransom in golden coins from her treasury to sit down on, looking attentively at Mystra.

Anastasia

Mystra has the grace to look pleasantly amused by your choice of seat.

"What is a curse?" Mystra asks you to begin, "As you understand it?"
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Mystra really has no place to judge, sitting on books! That's practically sacrilege, isn't it? At least gold is multi-purpose, and serves as a good bed or sofa!

"A magical effect like any other," Seira responds, giving no sign of her brief pique as she focuses on the topic at hand. "What makes it a curse is the detrimental and often hidden or ironic nature of the effect, such as protective gear cursed into making you a bigger target, or a magical force artificially lowing your cognition and decision making."

Anastasia

"True, it is a magical effect and part of the Weave," Mystra agrees, "A curse is at its core malicious magic, no matter how it is used. A blood or death curse may be justified for great crimes, but it is still a creation of malice. Malice..." A consideration here, "Malice poisons the soul, but fuels the desire for justice and revenge. Malice towards the one who wrongs you, manifested into a creation of magic."
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

"I've used curses in the past. It's very easy to lose yourself and go too far with them. And yet, the burden on one during a purification quest is in a sense a curse. Do you mean to say that one bears the malice of the evil item or its creator during such times, Mystra?"