News:

You have made a powerful enemy today, stop sign.

Main Menu

There's not enough bitching

Started by Dracos, October 23, 2004, 03:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Korsar13

Quote from: Arakawa on September 05, 2018, 11:36:50 PMThe remaining unknown is whether this is open to literally anyone that can string a coherent story together, or if you need to have a cool uncle in the publishing mafia.
Anyone.
http://samlib.ru/rating/publish/index_izd.shtml

Arakawa

Quote from: Korsar13 on September 07, 2018, 06:00:01 AM
Anyone.
http://samlib.ru/rating/publish/index_izd.shtml

From what I can tell, samlib.ru is just an ff.net-equivalent. It doesn't actually print your book. (With my earlier question, I was speculating more about the fics that seem to be getting picked up by publishers of pulp literature, with cover art and an actual print run on paper.)

Hmm... just remembered the Russian 'Alice in Space' pulps. Now that was some imaginative pulp literature. None of this 'Tom Clancy, Six-Armed Killer Gnome'.
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Arakawa

Albeit I'm not 100% sure which of these books are on paper. But the cover art I linked looks a lot more like a paper book cover rather than the kind of designs used for ebook-only publication.
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Kaldrak

Steam has arbitrarily decided to censor community content without asking. If you care about such things and wish to disable it, the following path will lead you to the setting change.

Go to Steam, settings, account, view account details, preferences, then community content preferences and enable/disable whatever you want.

Censorship irks me, and activating censors without even asking me irks me even more.
"Do what you want to do. Do what you like doing. Write the stories you want to see written and give other people the same courtesy. That is all that is important."

Anastasia

What precisely are they censoring?
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Kaldrak

Quote from: Anastasia on September 12, 2018, 04:12:03 PM
What precisely are they censoring?

Images, from what I noticed. Screenshots that people post to the boards on steam.
"Do what you want to do. Do what you like doing. Write the stories you want to see written and give other people the same courtesy. That is all that is important."

Dracos

"We are going to establish a special small strike group to go after *objectives*"
*eyes current working objectives that are identical and team that has been working against that for months*
"Well, I guess today is gonna be an angry day."
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

Got sleepy, split up sleep. Bleh.
<Afina> Forever.

Kaldrak

Ever since I got back from the hospital in May, I've found that eating dairy stuff produces the most horrendous problems in my digestive tract. Goodbye milk, ice cream, mac and cheese, and cream based sauces of all kinds. Also cereal, cause I am not a savage and refuse to eat it dry or with other stuff in it.

Interestingly enough, I can still eat cheese with no real problems. Must be something in how they prepare it.

Merc

Is it lactose stuff by any chance? Have you tried lactose-free products, or substitutes like goat milk (or even fake not-milk like almond/soy milk)?

When I got hit with the thyroid problems some years back, I started to have similar problems with regular milk. I still have a bit of problems with lactose free milk on occasion but it's more of an occasional thing rather than all the time like I did with regular milk.

I never really picked up a taste for milk substitutes, but those seemed to not cause me problems either.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Kaldrak

I'm not sure. It took me a while to figure out what was causing the problems in the first place. I can try to experiment with that lactase stuff and see if that works.

Anastasia

Worth a shot. I've heard lactose intolerance sometimes hits someone like that. Don't supposed you've mentioned it to your doctor?
<Afina> Forever.

Kaldrak

I have not, no. That's not a bad idea, thanks. Once things quiet down at work I should make an appointment.

Merc

We used to have a dollar cinema here in Houston. Been around for something like 40 years supposedly and while new movies didn't play there, they'd often play just before they got DVD releases, and I honestly liked the non-IMAX style of cinema where my eardrums didn't burst.

Unfortunately, it's now closed down. There's supposedly another location still open but that one is way out of my way, so I'll just have to say bye to it. Alas.

Guess I'll have to settle for burst eardrums when I do want to see a movie on big screen again.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Anastasia

Quote from: Merc on September 21, 2018, 07:02:16 PM
We used to have a dollar cinema here in Houston. Been around for something like 40 years supposedly and while new movies didn't play there, they'd often play just before they got DVD releases, and I honestly liked the non-IMAX style of cinema where my eardrums didn't burst.

Unfortunately, it's now closed down. There's supposedly another location still open but that one is way out of my way, so I'll just have to say bye to it. Alas.

Guess I'll have to settle for burst eardrums when I do want to see a movie on big screen again.

Or don't see movies in the theaters. I haven't seen one in a theater in like two decades.

Admittedly, that's mostly due to vision problems and having problems with sustained loud noises, but I find I don't miss it at all.
<Afina> Forever.