News:

I have a dream that one day, men will be punched in the face not for the color of their skin, but for the awful content of their character.

Main Menu

There's not enough bitching

Started by Dracos, October 23, 2004, 03:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merc

I usually don't go to cinemas actually, mostly because of the sound problem, but every once in a while I do get the urge to do so. Problem is that the movies I like to see in cinemas tend to be the action/adventure types which is what ends up hurting my ears because cinemas are set too loud typically, especially the modern kind. I have no clue why people think its awesome if the room shakes when the bass at the start occurs, but I just fucking hate that.

I liked this one because it had the sound just perfect, and I often waited for that period betwen a movie finishing its theatrical run and dvd run, which is often when those movies showed up in this place.

I found out it closed because I was passing by waiting to see Antman and Wasp show up in there and suddenly the billboard was just noticeably empty. Oh well, I can just rent/watch it in redbox when it comes out there.

Probably will be going a lot less to cinema unless I find one that has a reasonable sound setting.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Dracos

Bleh aging.  And mortality and all that.
Well, Goodbye.

Arakawa

Quote from: Anastasia on September 21, 2018, 07:21:47 PM
Or don't see movies in the theaters. I haven't seen one in a theater in like two decades.

Admittedly, that's mostly due to vision problems and having problems with sustained loud noises, but I find I don't miss it at all.

Watching any 3D movie destroys my branes for the entire next day. There is a Scientific Reason.

See, what happens is that there is the convincing illusion of a 3D object. So my eyes want to look around it and focus on different things in the scene. But none of my muscle motions actually change the focus. Instead the cameraman decides which part of the scene to focus on, and my muscles strain to match. This causes all of the lovely headach of someone jamming an imaginary fishhook into my visual cortex and pulling it around. You must focus your eyes at THIS thing now because the filmmaker commands it! After which I feel like the guy in Clockwork Orange getting force-fed with movies, after which my branes stop working.

This happens even with well-thought out 3D movies where the cameraman thought carefully about where to jerk the fishhook next for optimal 3D headach. For 3D movies where they took a 2D movie and did some lazy post-processing it's even worse.

And most movies at the cinema are 3D. Going to a not-3D movie is like having to ask for the vegan option now.

I guess the Hollywood theory is that no one uses their branes for anything important anyways. And if they happen to do use their branes, it Must Be Stopped lest they happen to brane in ways that are Not Conducive to Hollywood.

Also, when you watch 3D gimmicks in not-3D afterwards, it just looks foolish. Why did Frozen, a movie about Disney Princesses, start with the guy jabbing a jagged saw at the camera through the ice? Wut even?? Then you realize it was because the filmmakers thought having your eye nearly stabbed is exciting in 3D somehow. Why filmmakers hurt eye? Do filmmakers subconsciously hate eye because audience having eye means filmmakers must work hard to make film visually pleasing?

I could mock this filmmaking trend endlessly........
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Merc

Quote from: Arakawa on September 24, 2018, 06:46:42 PM
And most movies at the cinema are 3D. Going to a not-3D movie is like having to ask for the vegan option now.

Oof, that sucks. I actually didn't think Rogue One was too bad in 3D, but that's the only one out of three movies I've seen in 3D that was alright. I totally agree with your comments for the other two movies though. I don't recall the movies but I do recall the headache.

Thankfully here in Houston, every cinema seems to always offer 2 or more rooms with a new movie and there is always a 2D offering. But we do have a significant amount of vegan restaurants too so you may be on to something with the comparison!

Merc

My dad's uncle and aunt were in a car wreck yesterday, their car got sandwiched between two others, and the uncle died at the hospital.

So far, all I've really gotten out of my parents is that his ribs cracked, and one actually punctured a lung, and between his age and injuries, things didn't work out.

My dad's aunt is physically okay as far I know. Distraught, obviously, but physically okay from what I've heard.

I admittedly don't have the strongest recollection of them, as it's been well over a decade since I last met them. Most of my memories are of my dad's cousin. Still saddened that he didn't have the chance to pass on painlessly.

Haven't really found out what led to the accident either, if the guy that sandwiched them was drunk, speeding/tailgaiting, a side collision from someone running a light, or what.

Anastasia

Condolences, Merc. That's terrible.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Dracos

Same.  :(  Life remains immensely fragile.
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

Itchy mosquito bite on my foot. ARGHARGHARGH.
<Afina> Forever.

Dracos

That is truly one of the most human posts.

Murder the insect horde.
Well, Goodbye.

Merc

Doubles as an FYI/warning if people want to pass this on in IRC to those that don't frequent the board:
https://www.reddit.com/r/FanFiction/comments/9qigub/warning_do_not_check_user_profiles_on_ffn/

Basically message in link is: Don't visit ff.net for a while.

Edit: mostly only matters if you're logged in supposedly, but why take chances?

Arakawa

I was bitten by a zombie on the weekend, and have been feeling woozy. Anxious about turning into a zombie. However the doctors reassure me that I will be good as new with some bed rest.

Ten thousand other people have been bitten by the same zombie today.
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Anastasia

Fingers crossed, man. That's some scary stuff. I remember when my Mom got the zombie plague, worst week of my life. Fortunately she fought it off, but all you can think about are the news stories about those who didn't make it and went zombie.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Woken up at 5 30 AM and find the dog had an accident. Again.
<Afina> Forever.

Kaldrak

Quote from: Anastasia on November 17, 2018, 07:05:28 AM
Woken up at 5 30 AM and find the dog had an accident. Again.

That's annoying. I think I speak for cat owners everywhere when I say that we've trained ourselves to wake up at that distinctive hairball/puke noise cats make right before they ralph on the bed.
"Do what you want to do. Do what you like doing. Write the stories you want to see written and give other people the same courtesy. That is all that is important."

Anastasia

Yeah, helps if you can manage it.

In today sucks news: Furnace is dying, will require a 1300 or so repair or a 2700 replacement. There goes Christmas.
<Afina> Forever.