News:

"It occured to me while drunk, so it must have been genius."

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Dracos, June 20, 2005, 03:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason_Miao

Quote from: Dracos on April 26, 2017, 02:11:01 AM
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6789454/26/For-Want-of-a-War hey for want of a war updated *goes reading*

Oh yeah, I'd forgot to mention how he'd updated with chapter 25 a short while ago...wait, that's chapter 26.  *reads*

Yuthirin

What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

thepanda

Rukatin

Oh hey, I forgot to mention that I'm updating my own Worm fanfic Daybreak again. Here's the link since I don't know how to do the highlighted text link things you guys do.

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/daybreak-worm-oc-si.450048/#post-27500826

Tell me what you think!
I'm going to need your signature for the metric ton of whoop-ass you're about to receive.

"A 'Cult'? Such disrespect for other people's beliefs."
"You enslave minds!"
"And I believe that's okay."

Merc

Quote from: Rukatin on May 07, 2017, 04:20:07 AM
Here's the link since I don't know how to do the highlighted text link things you guys do.
Use the bracketed command shown below:
[url=link]link description[/url]

So Daybreak would be:
[url=https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/daybreak-worm-oc-si.450048/#post-27500826]Daybreak[/url]
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Rukatin

Quote from: Merc on May 07, 2017, 11:17:11 AM
Here's the link since I don't know how to do the highlighted text link things you guys do.
Use the bracketed command shown below:
[url=link]link description[/url]

So Daybreak would be:
[url=https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/daybreak-worm-oc-si.450048/#post-27500826]Daybreak[/url]
Thanks!
I'm going to need your signature for the metric ton of whoop-ass you're about to receive.

"You enslave minds!"

Jason_Miao

Tell me what you think!

Briefly,

Good:
Your main character isn't perfect.  Which is excellent, because perfect characters tend to be boring, so coming up with a main character who misses seemingly obvious cues is nice.  Also, most of your characters are personalized and have distinct voices, which is one of those things that people who write self-described SIs tend to mess-up. 

Other:
Your main character tends towards overly-exacting English phrasing at times.  Not always, but still threw me out of a few scenes.  I didn't notice it at all in the latest posted section (2.1).

I'll probably check back on this from time to time, as long as you're continuing to write.

Rukatin

Quote from: Jason_Miao on May 22, 2017, 02:09:04 AM
Tell me what you think!

Briefly,

Good:
Your main character isn't perfect.  Which is excellent, because perfect characters tend to be boring, so coming up with a main character who misses seemingly obvious cues is nice.  Also, most of your characters are personalized and have distinct voices, which is one of those things that people who write self-described SIs tend to mess-up. 

Other:
Your main character tends towards overly-exacting English phrasing at times.  Not always, but still threw me out of a few scenes.  I didn't notice it at all in the latest posted section (2.1).

I'll probably check back on this from time to time, as long as you're continuing to write.

Thank you! That's one thing me and my co-author work on, as we both agree that perfect SI's make a bad fic.

And for the other thing? Could you quote the exact places you had problems with? I want to improve my writing after all.

"You enslave minds!"

Anastasia

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12327719/1/What-Do-You-Want

Ranma and Nabiki centric. Post wedding, Akane decides to break up with Ranma and it deals with the fallout from it. Much better than it sounds and well written.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Dracos

That was a simple but pleasant tale.  *follows it*
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

Quote from: Dracos on June 09, 2017, 01:44:06 PM

Yeah, I have a soft spot for a story that shows an actual crush in Ranma 1/2, not just the normal comedic wackiness. Pleasant is a great word for that story.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Dracos

Quote from: Anastasia on June 09, 2017, 03:26:44 PM
Quote from: Dracos on June 09, 2017, 01:44:06 PM

Yeah, I have a soft spot for a story that shows an actual crush in Ranma 1/2, not just the normal comedic wackiness. Pleasant is a great word for that story.

Same :)
Well, Goodbye.

Rukatin

I keep forgetting that most of you are all die-hard Ranma 1/2 fans

"You enslave minds!"

Yuthirin

Gaming and Ranma fanfics are what this forum was started on!
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Merc

Technically it was just on gaming.

Ranma fanfics was what the forum we sprung out of was started on.

=p

Also, don't quite know about the "die-hard" fan part. I haven't read a Ranma fanfic in almost 8 years before that one above, if I think about that.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.