News:

"The truth is stranger than fiction, but not stranger than fanfiction."

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Dracos, June 20, 2005, 03:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason_Miao

Decapitated Off-screen updated.

I suppose it's accurate to say that we have our roots in Ranma fanfic?

Anastasia

It's probably more accurate to say we got started on late 90s-early 2000s anime fanfics. Ranma just happened to be the king of that.

I still have strong, irrational preferences in Ranma fics purely because of the fiancee wars.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Yuthirin

Jesus Christ the fiancée wars.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Rukatin

Quote from: Anastasia on June 13, 2017, 10:29:26 PM
It's probably more accurate to say we got started on late 90s-early 2000s anime fanfics. Ranma just happened to be the king of that.

I still have strong, irrational preferences in Ranma fics purely because of the fiancee wars.
Quote from: Yuthirin on June 14, 2017, 12:41:12 AM

*pulls up chair* You guys sound like old war veterans... Tell me more. 
I'm going to need your signature for the metric ton of whoop-ass you're about to receive.

"A 'Cult'? Such disrespect for other people's beliefs."
"You enslave minds!"
"And I believe that's okay."

Jason_Miao

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6789454/27/For-Want-of-a-War updated

Quote from: Rukatin on June 14, 2017, 03:47:12 AM

Basically, Ranma was in the process of being translated to english, and in the mean time, lots of fanfic writers took sides as to which fiancee ought to win.  Some took it a little more seriously than others...if you're familiar with any Japanophiles in real life, you can probably guess what happens when you mix a bunch of people with that personality type but opposing opinions, first exposure to the internet, and an online area for writing fanfics.

I still think about trying to come up with a plot that uses those characters no one ever used.  Like the boy who didn't want to eat a pill, or the panties ghost.

Yuthirin

Quote from: Rukatin on June 14, 2017, 03:47:12 AM

Quote from: Yuthirin on June 14, 2017, 12:41:12 AM

It was unbelievable. You had Zen on one side, and everybody loved Zen. Zen was part of the anti-Akane faction. A lot of us were. Jared "Skysaber" Ornstead, Fox, Thermopyle, etc.

Now, there were subsets. The Knights of the True Fiancee were Akane worshipers. Some of us favored Ukyo coughcoughDUNEFARcoughcough, some favored Shampoo. Some wanted OCs or crossovers. All of us agreed that Akane was the devil.

Fox was in a subset of his own. The less said, the better.

For most people, it was light-hearted banter. We had a good time, forum and chatroom RP was had, and we were all friends. Probably.

Some of us, like Skysaber, went completely bonkers.

It was the heyday of our time. A lot of great memories. Slacker still posted fics. Sound Hearts actually updated. John Walter Biles could still write. Jim Bader was still alive. So was Brian.

It was a hell of a time.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Rukatin

Quote from: Yuthirin on June 14, 2017, 12:18:04 PM
It was the heyday of our time. A lot of great memories. Slacker still posted fics. Sound Hearts actually updated. John Walter Biles could still write. Jim Bader was still alive. So was Brian.

It was a hell of a time.

Aw man, now I'm sad. I came here around the time Brian died following Kyon Big Damn Hero. I wish I could have met him.
I'm going to need your signature for the metric ton of whoop-ass you're about to receive.

"A 'Cult'? Such disrespect for other people's beliefs."
"You enslave minds!"
"And I believe that's okay."

Anastasia

Quote from: Rukatin on June 14, 2017, 02:51:52 PM
Quote from: Yuthirin on June 14, 2017, 12:18:04 PM

It was a hell of a time.

Aw man, now I'm sad. I came here around the time Brian died following Kyon Big Damn Hero. I wish I could have met him.

Yeah. Just a damn shame all around there.
<Afina> Forever.

Dracos

It was a kinder time.

And brian be missed.
Well, Goodbye.

Kaldrak

Quote from: Rukatin on June 14, 2017, 02:51:52 PMAw man, now I'm sad. I came here around the time Brian died following Kyon Big Damn Hero. I wish I could have met him.

He was my good friend for eight years. Wish I'd spent more time with him.
"Do what you want to do. Do what you like doing. Write the stories you want to see written and give other people the same courtesy. That is all that is important."

Arakawa

When I was around on this forum, everyone was writing Haruhi fanfiction and Brian was in top form.

I miss Brian a lot.

I also miss having a fanfiction scene where everyone is familiar with the same anime and can quickly run ideas past other people due to shared familiarity.
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Arakawa

DK:A is still happening. I did a double-take when I saw that there are now 195 threadmarks.

https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/threads/dungeon-keeper-ami-sailor-moon-dungeon-keeper-story-only-thread.30066/page-8#post-8635933

It sure took a lot of chapters this time for Ami to power through all those dwarves
Spoiler: ShowHide
just to end up locked in a box with Mr. Exposition.

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Anastasia

Quote from: Arakawa on June 21, 2017, 09:01:29 PM
DK:A is still happening. I did a double-take when I saw that there are now 195 threadmarks.

https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/threads/dungeon-keeper-ami-sailor-moon-dungeon-keeper-story-only-thread.30066/page-8#post-8635933

It sure took a lot of chapters this time for Ami to power through all those dwarves
Spoiler: ShowHide
just to end up locked in a box with Mr. Exposition.

To be honest, I think the fic went off the rails when Amy lost the Avatar Islands. Everything since then hasn't felt quite right.

Oddly I think I remember defending that choice at the time, so hindsight is a hell of a thing.
<Afina> Forever.

Arakawa

Quote from: Anastasia on June 22, 2017, 02:39:57 PM
To be honest, I think the fic went off the rails when Amy lost the Avatar Islands. Everything since then hasn't felt quite right.

Oddly I think I remember defending that choice at the time, so hindsight is a hell of a thing.

After thinking about it, I think it's not so much losing the Islands, but that there had been a nice progression going on towards Ami becoming a player on the world stage who has the grudging respect of Good powers, and makes more large scale plans to accomplish things through cooperation (like the strike against Crowned Death's temple) rather than going out and personally punching things. This is rather derailed by e.g. an arc in which Ami has to spend seven consecutive chapters punching things.

The 10,000x variations on "Ami punched the dwarf who was doing his utmost to kill her into a wall and then winced internally over how she'd been forced to hurt yet another innocent being" during the Epic Dwarf Stomp chapters also got a bit old.

Could it have something to do with the fic switching to Sufficient Velocity? It seems to me like the way in which authors receive feedback (& get time pressured, or not) on these Spacebattles-style forums is pretty different. That may affect the resulting feel of the writing.

---

(from Wm. Blake)

Anastasia

Possibly, but I don't get the impression the author's that engaged with SV. I could be wrong there, but my take has been he's using as a place to post the fic, nothing more.

Honestly, the entire dwarf arc's been tiresome. What I want to see is things kicking into higher gear on all fronts, there's so many interesting things going on to pursue. Amy's homefront on Earth is great, the ongoing tension with the Dark Gods is great, the constant worldbuilding and plotting's fun. The dwarves feel like a derail from it all.
<Afina> Forever.