News:

No longer content with mere attendance, the middle-class suburban poseurs have begun to put their hands in the air and wave them like they just don't care

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Dracos, June 20, 2005, 03:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracos

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7679074/1/The-Dragon-King-s-Temple  - This is sort of a fun story in the StarGate universe, crossing over (due to some confusion) Avatar the Last Airbender.  It's got some strange 'hey Avatar world isn't really all smiles' bits, but largely is a character piece focusing on Toph and Zuko in a strange world dealing with spirits and soldiers.
Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

Well, Goodbye.

Yuthirin

Quote from: Dracos on November 24, 2017, 04:35:54 PM
https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/rolling-out-worm-crossover-slight-au.464956/ Optimus lands on worm-verse.  Saves taylor from station of canon.
This author's other fics have me leery, but so far it doesn't suck.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Dracos

Yeah, know what ya mean. 

Any good ones from your view, Yuth?
Well, Goodbye.

Yuthirin

Since you asked!

Stone Spiders Worm/Slender Man fic. Taylor gains the power to summon Slender Man. In spite of the author's crippling self-loathing issues and author notes filled with self-doubt, the fic's not bad. It's pretty intense, yeah, but not bad. Slender Man isn't the kind of thing that lends to a happy little world. Warnings for torture and self-harm.

Queen of Blood Worm/Castlevania. Taylor dies in the locker and gets Dracula's power. All of it. It's a real wild ride. The author's wrapping up the fic. It's now into the third slice of the epilogue. It didn't suck.

Containment ReportWorm/SCP Foundation. Taylor gains the ability to create copies of numerous subjects of the SCP-verse. Oh boy did this not go at all like I'd expected it to.  It spirals out of control very, very fast and is a real hoot. If you need context, the SCP-verse in its entirety is found here.

Ethnic Difficulties World of Warcraft SI. Not usually my cup of tea because Warcraft fics tend to be just AWFUL. Love the game, hate the fandom. This one is from a new perspective. SI is thrust into a child's body and has approximately 0 power. I haven't thrown my hands up in disgust yet, so whatever.

Fur and Fire Warcraft/RWBY. Team RWBY are tossed into the Warcraft universe right as the Second War of the Shifting Sands kicks off. I fully expected this to blow. It does not. The author is well-versed in Warcraft knowledge as well as RWBY knowledge and it shows. The writing itself is good, moderately compelling.

Dead TiredDC OC is a non-evil necromancer. Amusing.

Playing Hooky Worm AU, where Taylor gets Hookwolf's powers and a huge amount of emotional baggage! Good stuff.

Y'all Are Stupid Worm/Pokemon. Taylor starts Team Skull in Brockton and there's also a break-dancing crew she starts with Aisha. Also teenage taunting. It's...Stupid. Really, really stupid. I couldn't slog through more than the first two chapters.

VAINGLORIOUS Worm/Thor. Taylor gets-you know what? No. I didn't make it past the first line of this fic. I have this thing where I think that fiction should be written from the character's point of view. A character in America, raised in America, with American parents should not have an English accent. Taylor calling her mother "Mum" right in the first line completely shatters any desire I have to read the story. Same for anything set in the UK and characters calling their mother, "Mom." It just doesn't jive for me. So yeah, I have no idea how it is because I get so irritated that I can't read it. Good luck.

One Hell of an Afternoon Worm/Young Justice. Post-Golden Morning Taylor gets dropped into the YJ-DCverse and promptly goes on a rampage through Gotham. Fun stuff. It's a little choppy, but I like the story.

When in Doubt, Blame the Eldar Planetary Annihilation/Warhammer 40k SI. Hooooooooboy. This has been linked a couple times, I think. SI is thrust into a commander unit from Planetary Annihilation (which is a lot of fun btw) and dropped from orbit into Dawn of War. Everyone not SI proceeds to have a bad time while the SI is also having a bad time. Things progressively get worse for SI. Fun.

A World of Bloody Evolution RWBY/Warhammer40k. Post-series team gets dumped into the Warhammer 40k universe because reasons. It's better than it sounds.

Glorious Shotgun Princess Mass Effect/Exalted. Starts at the end of ME1, Shepard exalting as she falls from the sky. Ends better than the games, so that's a plus. 5/7.

Browncoat, Geen Eyes Harry Potter/Firefly. Picks up after Serenity ended. Harry is recruited as the Serenity's new pilot after River proves unreliable.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

thepanda

Did the Serenity crew ever amount to anything other than cheerleaders in that fic? I remember having it recced to me and stopping when it seemed the Serenity characters were almost superfluous.

Been trying some stories on webnovel dot com (quidian International?). Release That Witch is easily the best of what I've tried to read. Engineer Guy dies and is reincarnated into the body of a recently deceased prince. A pretty entertaining yarn ensues.

On the other hand I tried Swallowed Star. I tried to like it. I wanted to like it. I kept at it for nearly 300 chapters before I had enough. Its like a parody of all the crap people make fun of xianxia for.
"And even the small sea monsters were as big as houses! And the river was filled with millions of them!" But the worst is how the main character seems to get power ups handed to him like water in the ocean. Its all bad. Would not recommend. 0/10

Jason_Miao

Quote from: thepanda on December 04, 2017, 01:40:49 AM
Been trying some stories on webnovel dot com (quidian International?). Release That Witch is easily the best of what I've tried to read. Engineer Guy dies and is reincarnated into the body of a recently deceased prince. A pretty entertaining yarn ensues.

I won't go to the QI site, so haven't read that one in awhile.  But I remember reading Release that Witch when it was being translated on Volare's site, and I liked it quite a bit.  Sort of like a Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, but replace Arthurian England with a human-centric high-magic fantasy setting and more focus on chemical engineering rather than mechanical. 

thepanda

Volare's site's was constantly loading and reloading when I tried to read it there on mobile. To the point where it ate my battery and caused my phone plan to go over enough that I had to shell out $75 in overage fees.

Yuthirin

Dracos

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/a-subtle-knife-worm-yj-si.342043 - I enjoyed this SI.  Guy gets Jack Slash powers and thrown into marvel-verse without any records.  It's been going on a few years, telling his tale of trying not to end up a villain, joining the sidekick team.
Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/vainglorious-worm-thor.589593/ - this is kinda cracky.

And awesome.

But really, it's some weird fusion of Worm/MCU(thor) mythology.  Taylor, the ever-bullied, is the last dark elf(half).  Her mom (last dark elf) vanishes along usual timeline...  and instead this time Taylor gets into her mom's space ship and tries her heroic suicide run against The Smurgh instead of Lung(Not Appearing in This Fic).

Then Jotuns take over australia.
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

Yeah, I wasn't sure what it was but it was too out there for me.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Ebiris

Tried Vainglorious but had the same problem Yuth did, seeing Taylor call Anette 'Mum' took me right out of it from the start.

Dracos

Heh.  It doesn't do a great job of making sense in the early parts either.  It's really mostly for it's later post-world-going-to-shit set pieces.

That said I wouldn't have called line one as the 'flip table' point :)
Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/a-dovahkiin-without-dragon-souls-to-spend-worm-skyrim-gamer-completed.513694/

Dragonborn taylor story finishes with a whimper and a pretty crummy finishing arc.  It was never a good story, largely following a taylor-shaped ditz but it's over now.
Well, Goodbye.