News:

No longer content with mere attendance, the middle-class suburban poseurs have begun to put their hands in the air and wave them like they just don't care

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Dracos, June 20, 2005, 03:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arakawa

So much Worm... I really need to get off my behind and actually understand what it is.

(Currently rectifying my spotty knowledge of One Punch Man. What I glimpsed the guy watching in Japan was an anime Season 2 that just came out.)

Besides that I just have guilty pleasures.

https://m.fanfiction.net/s/8569846/1/Sakura

(after finishing, discovered the author is halfway through rewriting the fic as https://m.fanfiction.net/s/12461348/1/How-to-Obtain-a-Reverse-Harem-in-Naruto)

Trashy self indulgent SI, but sometimes I just need an SI whose priorities besides "manipulate the plot" include "get hugs" and "decide which villains to take out based on (lack of) fan appeal".

I liked that the fic kept Kakashi participating in the Tora mission. Actually had to go back and check the manga for that. Somehow the way he gets written with emphasis on being an indifferent sensei in so many fanfics, I always picture his role in the D Ranks as "eh. There's a cat. Catch it. *goes to read book*"
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Arakawa

Quote from: Arakawa on May 20, 2019, 04:34:16 PM
Trashy self indulgent SI, but sometimes I just need an SI whose priorities besides "manipulate the plot" include "get hugs" and "decide which villains to take out based on (lack of) fan appeal".

Sakura fic actually gets much better as it goes along; I'm about halfway through. Crossing out 'guilty' from 'guilty pleasure' and 'trashy' from 'trashy self indulgent SI'. Just had to make it through the lazily written initial part. But again, there's something about the author's attitude I liked that made me decide to keep reading it.

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Anastasia

Quote from: Arakawa on May 27, 2019, 11:49:55 AM
Quote from: Arakawa on May 20, 2019, 04:34:16 PM

Sakura fic actually gets much better as it goes along; I'm about halfway through. Crossing out 'guilty' from 'guilty pleasure' and 'trashy' from 'trashy self indulgent SI'. Just had to make it through the lazily written initial part. But again, there's something about the author's attitude I liked that made me decide to keep reading it.

Yeah, I feel that. I have a fair few guilty pleasure fics I stuck with purely because I liked the author's attitude and style.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Arakawa

Hmn, and I finish that story and discover that the author is actually partway through rewriting the story with less 'grammar hell hole' and I could have been reading that.

Oh well. (Link added in my post above.)

Good to see iteration on a thing that has potential.

---

(from Wm. Blake)

Jason_Miao

https://dreamsofjianghu.ca/%E4%BF%AE%E7%9C%9F%E4%B8%96%E7%95%8C-world-of-cultivation/table-of-contents/

Wuxia setting, but about a guy who aspires to make money through farming.  I was a pretty big fan for almost all of it -- the final arc felt rushed.

Dracos

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/i-just-love-killin-worm-rick-and-morty-crossover.446513 Taylor as mentored by K is just sorta charming.  I could read her murderin' folks all day.
Well, Goodbye.

Jason_Miao

http://tapread.com/book/detail?bookId=145

Some scenes in this reminded me of this part of an old fic:
A vein popped up on the zombie dragon's head. "Knives aren't an element, idiot!"

"Technically, neither is fire!" Yukari called out suddenly. "Fire is the resulting energy loss of a chemical reaction, not an element in and of itself!"

"You keep out of this, you little-" the undead dragon glanced over at Yukari, and it started in surprise as it saw Tsukune and Moka creeping closer to the witch to try and free her. "HEY! Stop them!"

"I can't! My knives will only heal him!" the lantern lamented, staring down at his dagger and switchblade with regret.

Dracos

Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

I remember reading a chunk of it and liking it. Good times, shame BD moved on.
<Afina> Forever.

Dracos

His contempt was a fantastic driver of that fic.
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

So anyone been reading anything good lately? I've been in a bit of a rut.
<Afina> Forever.

thepanda

Same. There are like two fics that update regularly enough to keep up with. One was recced earlier in the thread and the other isn't an easy recommend. Haven't picked up a novel lately, either.

Most of my reading lately is comics.

Anastasia

Read a Wand for Skitter. Didn't care for how the fic developed, but it had some high points before I pulled the plug.

The Other Way updated. It's okay - I wasn't a big fan of a few choices a few chapters ago, but it still a solid read.
<Afina> Forever.

Dracos

Took an admittingly distant glance at the other way...  Some of the mixture of realism (gun holes dealing with hookwolf as a problem) just really doesn't do it for me with that setting.

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/i-woke-up-as-a-dungeon-now-what-dungeon-worm.620521/ I continue to enjoy this.  Lot of background characters (too many) but there's the interesting mix of the rebellious society whose trapped between two nations very much on the brink, the Obvious Villain wandering almost entirely off-camera other than occassional evidence that he is there and very dangerous, and the weakened state of Central built on a lie that they haven't puzzled out.
Well, Goodbye.