News:

No longer content with mere attendance, the middle-class suburban poseurs have begun to put their hands in the air and wave them like they just don't care

Main Menu

Appreciations of the day

Started by thepanda, November 25, 2005, 11:45:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

I have an interview for full-time conversion tomorrow.  Or Monday, if that's when the boss gets in.

So much anxiety.
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Dracos

Hoo.  Good luck.  Rock out hard :)
Well, Goodbye.

Brian

I finally gave up on ff.net.  Disabled notifications for reviews, PMs, everything.

I did leave a pointer to us, though.

I feel better about this.

~exploding tag~

Anastasia

Can't say I'm surprised that you burned out. Hope it does you some good, man.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Brian

Man, I cared more about your opinions than most of ff.net's anyway.  There were some good reviewers, but so much empty praise that didn't, really, tell me how to improve....

But we've known of their counter-improvement stance for well nigh a decade now.

~exploding tag~

Anastasia

Quote from: Brian on August 12, 2011, 01:19:59 PM
Man, I cared more about your opinions than most of ff.net's anyway.  There were some good reviewers, but so much empty praise that didn't, really, tell me how to improve....

But we've known of their counter-improvement stance for well nigh a decade now.

Eh. I like fanfiction.net for what it is, but what it isn't is a place to get serious critiques of your work. There are good reviewers on ffnet, but it's mostly just an echo chamber. Yeah, being told your stuff is good helps the ego, but it doesn't help you improve.
<Afina> Forever.

Dracos

It's dangerous too in a way.  You can get addicted to it.
Well, Goodbye.

Brian

Lies.

I can quit any time I want.

ANY time.

...hey, can....  Can you link a Haruhi fic for me?

I got ... I got the shakes real bad....

...just to get straight until tomorrow!  I swear!  *snivel*

~exploding tag~

thepanda

Is Motivation not on your website? I cannot find it.

Brian

Motivation is one of several fics that I have failed to put on my own website.

As much as it's a pain to edit on my laptop, I'll start a major overhaul this weekend.  After assembling furniture and shooting an exciting new webisode of My Dinner With Drac.

...I'll be lucky to get four pages done.  Ugh.  I seriously need to learn how to write a script to auto-format in my preferred style.  I'm so slacking on that count.

~exploding tag~

Jon

Quote from: Brian on August 12, 2011, 05:54:53 PM
...I'll be lucky to get four pages done.  Ugh.  I seriously need to learn how to write a script to auto-format in my preferred style.  I'm so slacking on that count.

Give me a ping, we'll get something set up.

Brian

I have the best friends.

I should nudge Drac to help me out with a notification e-mail thingy (or maybe just getting an rss feed set up) for updates to my fics. :x

I'm hoping to actually get a two-stage system, so I can post a rough initial draft and only notify pre-readers (I don't mind if anyone else stumbles across it in rough-draft form, but I would prefer to send a genuine notice to those who only want to read after polishing).  Well, I'll bug him about that while I'm building his furniture.

Oh, something else to appreciate:

I get to assemble stuff.  I love building things. :3

~exploding tag~

Jon

Build me a house!

Quote from: Brian on August 12, 2011, 07:01:40 PM
I'm hoping to actually get a two-stage system, so I can post a rough initial draft and only notify pre-readers (I don't mind if anyone else stumbles across it in rough-draft form, but I would prefer to send a genuine notice to those who only want to read after polishing).  Well, I'll bug him about that while I'm building his furniture.

I know how to do this too. But Drac can do it if he wants. I guess.

Anastasia

Tangent alert: Brian, have you ever considered being a carpenter? It really sounds like you're good with your hands and enjoy doing it.
<Afina> Forever.

Brian

Quote from: Anastasia on August 12, 2011, 10:57:48 PM
Tangent alert: Brian, have you ever considered being a carpenter? It really sounds like you're good with your hands and enjoy doing it.
I love woodworking, and there was a period of my life where I built all of my own furniture by hand.  (Not from kits.  That table I built ... 12 years ago, now, doesn't look nice anymore, but not even Walker was able to actually break it.)

I like machining, too, but my hands aren't steady enough for great welding.  I love mechanical puzzles, too.
Quote from: Jon on August 12, 2011, 10:31:27 PM
Build me a house!
Give me a kit!
Quote from: Jon on August 12, 2011, 10:31:27 PMI know how to do this too. But Drac can do it if he wants. I guess.
Well, this sounds good; Drac was busy with family stuff (and assembling a side-table), so we got nowhere on that front.  Also, the bookshelves seemed to be missing, so another trip to IKEA may be in the future....

Alright -- if it's not too much of an imposition on you, Jon, those tools would really soothe some of the people I may have inadvertently burned fleeing ff.net. :)

~exploding tag~