News:

I have a dream that one day, men will be punched in the face not for the color of their skin, but for the awful content of their character.

Main Menu

Appreciations of the day

Started by thepanda, November 25, 2005, 11:45:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Right.  I'd been studying necromancy in my spare time, in the hopes of someday making all of those fanfic authors from way back when actually finish what they write....

Iddy, you may have a spot on that list soon....

Edit:

To more relevant appreciations.

Augh.  I spent the entire day shopping, outside of the time I was waiting for the installer for my phone and internet.  (Which is ... weird.  My phone goes through my cable modem.)

I got so ... much ... stuff.  The irony of cutting myself opening the container of knives was when I realized that for all of my work, I forgot a first aid kit.

But you know, if that's the biggest thing I have to complain about today, then I am appreciative for it.  :D
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Brian

Ah, the catharsis of independence and honesty.  Now that James is not holding my stuff hostage, I told him what I really think.

And I have my own place.  I hate being deceptive so much ... man, did that ever wear on me.

~exploding tag~

Brian

A far better educated and experienced technician in the workplace shocked me by demonstrating that I have a better grasp of linux than she did.  I felt like a significantly more useful part of the team by helping her move something she SCPed into the wrong directory, following a dev's instructions.

~exploding tag~

Anastasia

You sound like you're on a hot streak, Brian.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Brian

I tell you, having to suppress my feelings QRT the Jim/PHM issue, not having to live with an alcoholic....

Everything's coming together. :D

~exploding tag~

Brian

I am an idiot, and in my rush to get things set up and trying to do too many things simultaneously ... I ordered an AMD CPU and cooler for an Intel motherboard.

I'm appreciative of the fact that this only costs me time.

~exploding tag~

Yuthirin

What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Brian

Ah, Yuth, since this happened to me because I blindly followed your suggestions, I think you're the one person who shouldn't be laughing at me, right there.  Unless you did that on purpose in which case, okay, yeah ... joke's on me. :)

~exploding tag~

Yuthirin

Yeah, that's kinda why I was laughing. I've made this mistake before. :D
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Brian

Quote from: Yuthirin on October 20, 2011, 01:23:36 PMI've made this mistake before. :D
Me, too~!  Enough to be quite proficient at undoing the damage; hooray for return policies! :D

~exploding tag~

Brian

Okay.  Sidestepping the carnival of errors leading to me actually getting all the pieces....

1.) Hardware assembly.  Historically, my greatest problem-area.  After 2.5 hours of painstaking assembly, the system POSTed just fine.  I was so shocked at how smoothly it went I decided to break into the celebratory seagrams sweet-tea vodka/lemonade early.

2.) OS install failed miserably due to an interesting issue where Vista can't work with disks over a certain size -- my new disk is of this size category (evidently, at/above 2 TB).  So, the drive would come up in an onboard boot loader, I could install Vista, and then it couldn't boot off the disk it was just installed to.  Unable to resolve that issue, I fell back on my old disks, knowing they were small enough.

This was a resounding success, and my old install actually booted flawlessly on the new hardware.  Not expected.

This made backing up my data to that new disk a snap, and then I formatted the boot drive and reinstalled.

So, ladies, gentlemen....

Either I have rolled, or taken twenty.  I'm not sure which -- but a twenty ... is a twenty.

~exploding tag~

Yuthirin

Now download a real man's operating system!

Brian

...like what?  AFAIK, I'm the most vocal advocate of UBUNTU here, but it won't run my games.

Edit: Actually, did run UBUNTU off a USB keyfob to format the HDD at one point when I couldn't get Vista to install and thought it was a corrupt boot sector issue.  Sorry, I really don't understand why you want me to break the primary functionality of the system I just got online.

~exploding tag~

Yuthirin

In unrelated news, I have a phone interview on Monday, and I will be making my very famous beef stew tomorrow. Very excited. :D

Yuthirin