News:

"In closing, we have the best hobby ever. The End."

Main Menu

Appreciations of the day

Started by thepanda, November 25, 2005, 11:45:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VySaika

Went to see John Carter of Mars today. It was every bit as good as I was hoping, and does not dissapoint in the least. And this is from a fan of the books. Pixar's first forray into live action movies is an A+ success, in my book.
All About Monks
<Marisa> They're OP as fuck
<Marisa> They definitely don't blow in 3.5
<Marisa> after a certain level they basically just attack repeatedly until it dies
<Marisa> they're immune to a bunch of high level effects
<Marisa> just by being monks

Yuthirin

Really glad to hear that, Gate. I was terrified that Disney would screw it up. Good to hear that I was wrong. I'll see it this weekend then.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

VySaika

It's not particularly faithful to the events/pacing/etc of the book, but it's faithful to the spirit of it. And everything changed was changed in the name of being awesome, which I can live with. If you're a purist, you may not like it so much.
All About Monks
<Marisa> They're OP as fuck
<Marisa> They definitely don't blow in 3.5
<Marisa> after a certain level they basically just attack repeatedly until it dies
<Marisa> they're immune to a bunch of high level effects
<Marisa> just by being monks

Brian

Too stressed to go back into work.

Thank goodness I can work from home. -_-
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Anastasia

It's something. Destress away!

---

I did nothing productive today and turns out I needed it. I feel better.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Music-chan

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

Merc

It's not -just- Pi Day. As I learned over radio today, its also Steak and BJ Day!
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Brian

And White Day. >_>;;

I'd return all the Valentine wishes I got, but, erm.

Well, I don't eat beef or drink anymore, so....

...go Pi day!

~exploding tag~

Dracos

We are the Math Nerds.

We will integrate your society.
Well, Goodbye.

Yuthirin

Quote from: Merc on March 14, 2012, 02:58:38 PM
It's not -just- Pi Day. As I learned over radio today, its also Steak and BJ Day!

We were just discussing this over coffee this morning.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Jon

My favorite novel is being made into a film! (Currently in pre-production, so far as I can tell.)

I am cautiously optimistic.

Quote from: Vispop
It's a $30 million film that we plan to shoot in China with all of their incredible film making talent, and post in Australia.  We're building a mix of Eastern and Western crews and film-makers, for a truly international co-production.

Given my druthers, it'd be a miniseries instead, but I'll take what I can get. (And maybe someday if I ever have the funds, I can license the miniseries rights.)

KLSymph

In addition to the other stuff, today is also the day that Exalted 2.5 (and Sidereal errata) is out. And I am happy. Though probably not as happy as the people who are celebrating Merc's thing.

I should be posting the link in one of the gaming subforums, but A) I haven't gotten the impression that anyone here plays Exalted, and B) DriveThruRPG's servers are apparently being hammered so hard you can't download it from there at the moment anyway.

Jon

I have just discovered it's possible to switch Gmail's buttons back to text (from the horrible Egyptian hieroglyphics). Radio button on the settings page. Now I know what I'm clicking without having to hover!

Brian

KLSymph: I like the theory of Exalted....

Jon: Bridge of Birds movie!?  Haruhi/Kyon WAFF imminent!  I suspect the further I veer from addressing canon elements directly, the more successful my attempts in that vein will be; this provides the ideal fuel to test that concept.  Now to write a fic where Haruhi stars in said movie, and....

~exploding tag~

Jon

Like Brian, I like the theme of Exalted; I've just never seen any evidence the rules support it being played by humans. (Maybe that's the secret: you need to be Exalted to play Exalted.)

To keep this from being a "shit-on-Exalted" post, I'd like to talk about my preferred Exalted alternative. Legends of the Wulin is a game where you play a wuxia hero of legend. It's a game where your deeds of renown entangle you with other people and organizations in the setting, thus guaranteeing you won't be playing a group of amoral mercenaries. It's a game where your weapon can be anything you like, as long as you can describe it with a keyword specified by your martial arts style. It's a game where music can lash like a whip and a blade can be turned aside by a well-chosen word.

And it's a game I'm offering to run, for a three-session miniseries. 3-4 players preferred.