News:

"Why do you call it soulriders?"
"Because we grind your souls, hopes, and dreams down ... and ride the wave."

Main Menu

Appreciations of the day

Started by thepanda, November 25, 2005, 11:45:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thepanda

There is actually something I want to watch this season!

Dog Days always delivers. ^_^

Ranma_007

In other exciting news, I LOVE my new job!

Dracos

First RL game in a long while today.

Game was good.  Fun was had by all.  Mark did not successfully party wipe.

Monk McMonkerson of the +18 mod was legitimately killed (save for house rules) on the very first session, exactly as predicted.

Orc: "Let's capture this guy.  Grapple"
Monk: "This seems a bad idea...just hit him until he goes down...shit, I can't attack anymore without hitting you."
Enemy: "MASSIVE DAMAGE and STUN"
Monk: "...well, yeah, that was not cool.  Seriously, can we stop with the grappling now?"

I suppose he deserved to get that off though.

I did start the fight by sneaking up behind him and smashing his face into his alchemy equipment and rubbing it around in the acid and glass shards.  He really didn't like that.  Sadly, I failed the follow up init, so I didn't get to continue rubbing his face along the counter while punching him in the gut.

Gonna give the star Party Wipe moment of the session though, because it is amusing comedy for folks.

So our job was to carry this magical grenade and chuck it into a portal.  It was gonna explode, terribly.  Being the most sensible of the party, I took it and kept it in my backpack until we got to our target.  We then steadily killed everything in the dungeon.  We got to the last room containing 1 soon to be really miserable alchemist and a giant horrible portal to EVIL.  Our target.  Certainly, we could've chucked it and ran, but then any loot would be destroyed.  So I snuck up behind the guy and gave him a really bad day.  Our archers filed into the room and lined up their shots.  Our whole party all crowded into this room ready to ruin this guy's shit.

TeamKillerDude: So I'm going to go over to the monk who's beating up the boss and reach into his backpack, take out the magic grenade and chuck it in the portal.
Me: No, no you're not.
TeamKillerDude: Yes I am, look I just grab it.
Lawerance (Played awesomely by Gate): No, you're not taking the grenade.
Rest of the part (Joining in): No you don't  get to do that.

Few minutes later, we finish the boss off, get the loot, get ready to leave.  Everyone gets near the stairs, fastest party member tosses the grenade and we run.  Rumble a few seconds later.

The entire floor is leveled.   Even if the portal isn't destroyed, there's no way that anything is coming through there.

Realization: Yeah, we almost were wiped by that guy.  We would've all been killed if we tossed the grenade in during that fight.

Still, rationality prevailed, we got to the surface, a prisoner in tow.  The dungeon solidly defeated behind us.  And introduced to the War against the Darkness Below...
Well, Goodbye.

Brian

It is good to GM again.

Even if That One Guy is still That One Guy.
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Yuthirin

There's always That One Guy.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Arakawa

Quote from: Yuthirin on July 09, 2012, 11:26:00 AM
There's always That One Guy.

... except when there's more than one of him...
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Dracos

hum.

Today I got asked "What is an RPG?"
Well, Goodbye.

alethiophile

Did you answer "a large gun"? Because if not I find you remiss.

Iron Dragoon

Actually, my first response to that is usually 'Rocket Propelled Grenade.'
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Brian

Saw Les Miserables.  I enjoyed it overall, even if it wasn't as good as I was hoping.

My thoughts on it here.

~exploding tag~

thepanda

Finally making some headway into Bridge of Birds. This is my third time starting the book and narrative finally clicked with me.

Arakawa

Huh. As someone who ravenously devoured the narrative on the first go, I'm curious as to what was failing to click for you earlier...
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

thepanda

I think I was expecting it to be more crouching tiger, less Jackie Chan. The humor was just not clicking for me, so it all read really alien. And until Li Kao shows up the story is slooow.

Brian

His slight flaw of character is critical, but I know what you're talking about.  Number Ten Ox and Li Kao are a duo, and with one of the two missing....

~exploding tag~

thepanda

That and he's the one who moves the story along. "This is the problem, this is what we need to find, here is where we'll go!"