News:

"The truth is stranger than fiction, but not stranger than fanfiction."

Main Menu

Appreciations of the day

Started by thepanda, November 25, 2005, 11:45:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Music-chan

Quote from: alethiophile on September 21, 2012, 03:31:18 PM
Cool to see, but depressing when you think about it. We can't even get up there anymore.

Come on, SpaceX, get people in orbit. Apparently the people we trusted with it last have given up.
NASA hasn't given up, they're just looking into other ways to get the goals done.  The old system really was pretty antique at this point.
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

alethiophile

Wasn't that Constellation/Ares program supposed to be the "other ways"? Got cancelled back in 2010 because it's more important that we pour money into the black hole that is, like, everything the government ever does in this country than that we maintain spaceflight capability. I'm not disputing that the shuttles needed replacing, but they're not being replaced.

* alethiophile attempts to cease ranting. Sigh.

Ranma_007

I won a Kindle! Sure, it was the old Kindle 3 with special offers (70 bucks), but hey, I'll take it. It's a good re-gift. :p

alethiophile

Old Kindle 3 is best Kindle. Not every device needs a touch screen. Physical keyboards are really nice sometimes. I don't want to be unable to turn pages without smudging all over my screen.

Unless, you know, it's not the keyboard version, in which case disregard.

I'm annoyed they're not making any of the new models in keyboard version.

Music-chan

Quote from: alethiophile on September 27, 2012, 10:31:12 AM
Old Kindle 3 is best Kindle. Not every device needs a touch screen. Physical keyboards are really nice sometimes. I don't want to be unable to turn pages without smudging all over my screen.

Unless, you know, it's not the keyboard version, in which case disregard.

I'm annoyed they're not making any of the new models in keyboard version.
Honestly, I'm not sure enough people used the keyboards to make them viable.

alethiophile

I did. I jailbroke mine and put a terminal emulator on it. You ever tried using a terminal emulator with an emulated keyboard? Because it's just one step this side of completely useless. </grump>

Ah, well. When I get warranty replaces on mine I get the same model back, which is good enough.

Brian

Quote from: alethiophile on September 28, 2012, 01:07:56 PMYou ever tried using a terminal emulator with an emulated keyboard? Because it's just one step this side of completely useless. </grump>

Yes, I have.  And it is.  However, I like having the option of physical vs. emulated keyboard; sometimes you don't need to type that much.  Does the Kindle have a bluetooth option for an external keyboard, like the iPad?  Because for me, that was the optimal solution....
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

alethiophile

I kind of doubt it. It isn't geared around data input so much as output; it is after all a reading device, not meant to be a general-purpose computer. (Though it actually is--it's a little ARM processor running Linux. I do rather like that.)

Brian

Inbox down to one item.

I suspect that thread will languish forever, waiting for a reply that will never come.

So this is the new 'empty'.
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Arakawa

Been feeling massively drained the past couple of weeks. Contemplating the greastest bad fanfic in the history of Haruhi has not helped, nor has people asking about lucid dreaming, which just reminds me that it's the last thing I have the energy to worry about. Nor is the sales people's tradition of blaring music on Fridays.

Which is why I'm glad for Thanksgiving Canadian Edition. I'm going to need every minute of this weekend to recover.
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

thepanda

Had an awesome dream this morning with a solid narrative and interesting characters set in an urban fantasy world.

And I can actually remember some of it!  Left me feeling pretty good, too.

Merc

First time in a while getting home by 5:30pm.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Merc

I have a three day weekend, I was told I didn't have to come in to work tomorrow! =D

Sure, that's how it's supposed to be, but after two weekends not really getting a weekend at all, I'm super happy.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Anastasia

<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Music-chan

Cy and I are getting a new bed/mattress on Saturday!  I know this isn't the most exciting thing ever, but our current one is SUPER OLD and we needed an upgrade.

Someday we might even be able to afford getting a new mattress for the spare room.  Maybe!