Appreciations of the day

Started by thepanda, November 25, 2005, 11:45:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuthirin

An unexpected infusion of cash means that it's very likely I'll make it to the gathering this year! Huzzah!
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

KLSymph

This is a story of Dark Souls PVP.

There I was in the Undead Burg, dueling using two-handed Silver Knight Spear and a Pierce Shield (for novelty).

Silver Knight Spear: ShowHide

Silver Knight Spear

A black phantom invader entered, wielding a Large Club and a talisman with Wrath of the Gods and Gravelord Greatsword Dance.

Large Club: ShowHide

Large Club

We went back and forth a bit, but it became clear his club and AoE spells were too slow against my spear and shield attacks, and he had no poise so my attacks kept knocking him out of his animations.

The invader ran out of the arena.

He climbed up to the firebombing Hollows' platform overlooking most of the level.  Now I, having had experience fighting griefers leading you into enemies, immediately put on a Fog Ring whenever an invader runs away from me.  The Fog Ring gives a transparency effect, which made me invisible at the long distance between us.  Thus, while he is on a high platform surrounded by Hollows who would attack me if I try to get to him, I pulled out my Black Bow of Pharis with Feather Arrows (longest ranged attack in the game) and shot him in the head.

Black Bow of Pharis: ShowHide

Black Bow of Pharis

Ah, watching him flinch and run around, then watching him shoot his own arrows onto my side of the Burg and not hitting anywhere near me--I shot him again, and again whenever he paused, one time knocking him down from the roof when he was trying to escape.  It was both funny and sad.

After it became clear he couldn't stay on the roof, we had a fifteen minute battle of wits, sneaking on up on each other in the Burg's twisting paths.  I had my Fog Ring providing limited invisibility as well as a Slumbering Dragoncrest Ring to silence my footsteps, though I couldn't use them at the same time because my second ring slot was occupied; he had all of the NPC Hollow enemies on his side who would aggro on me if I tried to chase him.  He missed with a plunging attack that I didn't see coming, while I couldn't do enough damage to him with my spear to kill him before he retreated and healed.

Ultimately, I slowly managed to kill the Hollows one by one with spear or with bow, and push forward alley by alley until I cornered the invader inside Havel the Rock's tower (he got no help from Havel, who I killed long ago).  With no escape or NPC aid, he had no choice but to finally turn and fight with skill and valor alone.

At which time I promptly falchioned him to death.

Falchion: ShowHide

Falchion

And then I celebrated.

Gesture: ShowHide

Praise the Sun

And I sent the invader a message.

Quote from: KLSymph by PS3 messaging
Subject: Ha ha ha...

Good times.

Dark Souls!

Brian

Second-to-last image link is broken.

Also, plunging attack?  The gear sounded pretty crazy before, but now....
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

KLSymph

Danbooru must be locking the image away. I've replaced it.

Quote from: Brian on September 19, 2013, 11:49:21 AMAlso, plunging attack?  The gear sounded pretty crazy before, but now....

A plunging attack is merely him dropping from a roof and trying to hit me from above.  But if you want to imagine some other meaning of "plunging" using a Large Club, by all means.  By the way, the Large Club is poisonous.

...Dark Souls!

Brian

~exploding tag~

Ranma_007

Woot, a raise that wasn't due to my performance!

Grahf

Well, today was the last day of my job. I wasn't as excited to leave as I expected I would be, nor was I maudlin about it. It was just sort of a thing that ended, and is now done.

Oh well, to the next chapter, I suppose.

thepanda

Should be able to move into the newly renovated house this week!

The (really nice) stove the previous tenant left was salvageable! And cost zero dollars to salvage! Lots of elbow grease, but no money!

Now we just need to fix the soft spot in the bathroom, tile the bathroom floor, and lay the wood in the hallway.

Yuthirin

What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Brian

My boss was so disturbed by my disfigurement that he was quite happy to let me finish the rest of the week from home.

~exploding tag~

Merc

Clearly you need to get zombie make-up so that next time you have to pop in at work, they decide you can permanently work from home. Lest you eat someone's brains.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Brian

Pre-order Might and Magic X on Steam now and get MMVI for free.  Admittedly, it (and MM1-5) costs about as much as dirt on gog, but it's one of my favorite games, and there's a great fanmade patch that really helps bring the game a bit closer to the modern era (major mechanics bugfixes, mouselook, keyboard rebinding -- good stuff).

MMVI may not be a great game, but for reasons I have a hard time putting into words, it's one of my favorites.

~exploding tag~

Brian

I seem to be healing, though the scarring should be fairly impressive.

~exploding tag~

Iron Dragoon

Vacation was good. Hiked about half of the south rim of the Grand Canyon. Hit up a state park for a day, and spent a day doing off-road motorcycling. Which I video'd.

Vacation is being cut short by 2 days, however. Which is not a bad thing. As much fun as it is, the thing I'm sleeping on has given me a crick in my neck for the last three or four days. I am looking forward to my comfy bed.

After the18 hour drive we have ahead of us.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Yuthirin

Alas, the fates have conspired against Iddy and I meeting face to face. I am convinced that our combined presence would cause a cosmic collapse and result in a singularity, destroying all life on Earth.