News:

You have made a powerful enemy today, stop sign.

Main Menu

Appreciations of the day

Started by thepanda, November 25, 2005, 11:45:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracos

Well, Goodbye.

DY

Awesome news, congratulations!
My name is Vash the Stampede. I have been a hunter of peace who chases the mayfly known as love for many, many moons now. There is no rest for me in my search for peace. I meditate diligently every morning. The subjects are life and love. I quit after 3 seconds.

Anastasia

Thanks. It's been awhile so I'm really relieved that I got another one.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Dracos

Well, Goodbye.

Ranma_007

Anastasia

Backroom stocking and loading. Nothing fancy, just a job.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Grahf

Congrats. I hope to be in the same, job-having boat soon.

Brian

Got 29/30 for my HSC.  You can get up to 25% wrong (though I'm unclear on how, with those numbers).

10 days of waiting!
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Brian

Onigiri gave me a humble bundle for no reason at all.  Thanks, Onigiri!

~exploding tag~

Merc

He is ever so humble, that riceball.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Ranma_007

I got a second Windows 7 keycode because, through school, the Windows 7 download was updated to Windows 7 service pack 1, which, when I downloaded it, gave me a new keycode! w00t!

Brian

Thanks to co-workers leaving the company, I have a better desk location, and am even more important. :\

Today I have been putting out fires left and right.

This isn't all good; I'm fighting some incompetence with hardware installation (I got really pissed at a bad install leaving our 60 kilo tech trying to wrestle with 40 kilos of server when it came out of the rack it was in; she really doesn't seem to understand that I'm saying, "No, it's completely okay to jump to safety and let the hardware fall.  We can buy a new server, but can't get a new you.") in the lab.

My direct manager has been getting flack from his bosses about being incompetent and is assigning me busywork because he thinks it'll make his job more secure.  There's also mounting evidence suggesting we're doing a full lab shutdown over the Thanksgiving break, and I'm going to be asked to come in to check the mounting for 8 racks worth of equipment in the downtime, to prevent further accidents and issues.

Also, no raise or bonus in sight.

But, hey.  Prestige.  I'm important to a gang of incompetents ... hopefully enough to outlast them, should the CTO ever get around to removing the silo of incompetence.

Right?

~exploding tag~

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Brian on November 25, 2013, 07:08:31 PM
Thanks to co-workers leaving the company, I have a better desk location, and am even more important. :\

Today I have been putting out fires left and right.

This isn't all good; I'm fighting some incompetence with hardware installation (I got really pissed at a bad install leaving our 60 kilo tech trying to wrestle with 40 kilos of server when it came out of the rack it was in; she really doesn't seem to understand that I'm saying, "No, it's completely okay to jump to safety and let the hardware fall.  We can buy a new server, but can't get a new you.") in the lab.

My direct manager has been getting flack from his bosses about being incompetent and is assigning me busywork because he thinks it'll make his job more secure.  There's also mounting evidence suggesting we're doing a full lab shutdown over the Thanksgiving break, and I'm going to be asked to come in to check the mounting for 8 racks worth of equipment in the downtime, to prevent further accidents and issues.

Also, no raise or bonus in sight.

But, hey.  Prestige.  I'm important to a gang of incompetents ... hopefully enough to outlast them, should the CTO ever get around to removing the silo of incompetence.

Right?

I believe you need to start documenting these things. And then, when a review comes up and they ask you to defend your job, slap them in the face with a list of all things gone wrong and then slap them on the other side of the face with a list of all the things you would have done to prevent and/or fix them.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Brian

Oh, my CYA policy is to save every e-mail I ever get.  Outside of weekly 'caption contest' crap and other people's 'I'm WFH today' messages.

The backlog of evidence only grows stronger.  It is likely mightier than my base stats, at this point. o_O

~exploding tag~

Ranma_007

Got 15 bucks in promo gift cards with Discover for doing a half hour call to discuss mortgage rates (their rates were good, but I will pass.... for now).