News:

"Why do you call it soulriders?"
"Because we grind your souls, hopes, and dreams down ... and ride the wave."

Main Menu

Appreciations of the day

Started by thepanda, November 25, 2005, 11:45:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arakawa

Strange things I've enjoyed wasting time on lately: arguing with Catholics.

(I do want to understand how they think, for writing-related purposes.)
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Anastasia

Oh? I'm a (lapsed into more general, non-denominational Christianity) Catholic, if I can help you with anything about that.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Dracos

Well, Goodbye.

Yulia

Anastasia

Quote from: Dracos on May 01, 2014, 01:51:02 PM
Mushroom, mushroom!

Careful of the mushrooms, Drac. They're watching.
<Afina> Forever.

KLSymph

Oh god they do more than watch!

Anastasia

So absolutely true. Watching is only the beginning.
<Afina> Forever.

Arakawa

Quote from: Anastasia on May 01, 2014, 02:10:39 AM
Oh? I'm a (lapsed into more general, non-denominational Christianity) Catholic, if I can help you with anything about that.

I haven't had any problem so far; it's been polite but very depressing back-and-forth with the kind of people who argue that the vast majority of people being damned to Hell is an aesthetically pleasing outcome, because it provides the necessary contrast for the saints to comprehend the extent of God's mercy towards them.

I came up with this character who's internalized those sorts of teachings and become a sort of genteel misanthrope (difficult to explain in one go), but in terms of understanding and fleshing out his point of view, it's necessary to understand the context he would have formed it in. And whether a person like that could even conceivably exist within Catholicism. This is where talking to people comes in handy.

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Anastasia

People who endlessly talk about damnation are missing the point, anyway. As far as your second point, people of all types end up in religion. The message may be holy, but people are forever screwing things up. It's human nature, and that includes doing bad things with the good word.

If you wanna go into this, toss me a PM. SR isn't really the place for serious religious discussion, so it's best done in private.
<Afina> Forever.

Dracos

I appreciate both of you guys taking that private (or to a side thread if you guys think it makes sense) :)

Not that I mind a variety of religious points, but this is a pretty heavily trafficked thread and rarely do pleasant things come out of recorded pitched discussion of religious theory.
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

Yeah, discussions on religion and politics can be flashpoints. Even when the original participants mean well, all it takes is one person joining up and taking offense to set it off like a fireball. There's a lot to be said for taking them to private discussion or to the appropriate venue.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Anastasia on May 01, 2014, 09:17:13 PM
Yeah, discussions on religion and politics can be flashpoints. Even when the original participants mean well, all it takes is one person joining up and taking offense to set it off like a fireball. There's a lot to be said for taking them to private discussion or to the appropriate venue.

*makes signs and burns things outside of Dune's and Arakawa's homes*
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Arakawa

Quote from: Anastasia on May 01, 2014, 09:17:13 PM

Yeah, I agree. Not to mention any flame wars on such topics tend to consist of things everyone has heard a thousand times before....

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on May 01, 2014, 10:40:06 PM
*makes signs and burns things outside of Dune's and Arakawa's homes*

>_>

<_<

*joins Iddy's impromptu barbecue*

---

(from Wm. Blake)

Iron Dragoon

I appreciate open bars. And roast pig.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Merc

Isn't it delicious?

If you really liked that pork, consider buying some Alaea salt while you're in Hawaii, Iddy.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.