News:

Game for the gaming god; co-op for the entertainment couch!

Main Menu

Appreciations of the day

Started by thepanda, November 25, 2005, 11:45:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

I voted today and it went smooth'n'quick. Always nice to have happen.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Dracos

It was pretty smooth for me.  There was only 15 more candidates I'd never heard of for spots I wasn't aware.  Yay.  Lots and lots of judges, and not with any clarity on who was for what.

Only had to go through 3 desks, and have them look confused about addresses.  Someone from the street next to mine was having the exact same problem 20 seconds after me, so it took some challenge to keep a straight face as they gave them the same "are you sure you're at the right place" spiel.  Apparently every desk had a different set of addresses, and nobody had clarity on where they were.
Well, Goodbye.

Kaldrak

If you call that smooth I'd hate to see what complicated looks like.
"Do what you want to do. Do what you like doing. Write the stories you want to see written and give other people the same courtesy. That is all that is important."

Merc

Project manager scheduled a half-day meeting for today at the start of the week and wouldn't really talk about what the meeting was going to be about, only insisting that the people invited HAD to be there, that it WOULD be that long, and the title of the meeting said that it was to discuss future of the projects we were working on. We've been a bit worried about state of the projects, since we haven't heard about any future projects coming in and the price of gas has dropped, so we were either expecting at worst bad news saying we weren't getting anymore projects, or at best that even with all that we'd gotten some new projects. Couldn't be much else besides those two, right?

Well, come today, we get there...manager takes us all out for golf (driving range, technically), with food and drinks included for the whole afternoon as an appreciation for all the hard work we've been doing. And we got to go home early, thus beating traffic. Oh yeah, and a five minute 'lessons learned' lecture at the start to make it look like it was going to be doom and gloom. Dude has mischievous sense of humor clearly.

So we all still have to worry about whether we'll be getting more projects or not soon, but that was definitely a nice distraction, at least! Had fun, even though I did absolutely terrible at it and my arm hurts a bit from all the time I kept hitting the ground instead of the ball (Tiger Woods, I am not).
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Kaldrak

I appreciate the fact that writing is what I love to do and lately I've managed to do quite a lot of it.

I am quite pleased. Soon I will finish my book.
"Do what you want to do. Do what you like doing. Write the stories you want to see written and give other people the same courtesy. That is all that is important."

Rukatin

Quote from: Kaldrak on November 09, 2014, 03:08:57 AM
I appreciate the fact that writing is what I love to do and lately I've managed to do quite a lot of it.

I am quite pleased. Soon I will finish my book.

Very nice! Keep on going!
I'm going to need your signature for the metric ton of whoop-ass you're about to receive.

"A 'Cult'? Such disrespect for other people's beliefs."
"You enslave minds!"
"And I believe that's okay."

Dracos

I apparently have survived another year in a few days.  Good to do.
Well, Goodbye.

Kaldrak

Quote from: Rukatin on November 10, 2014, 09:17:23 AMVery nice! Keep on going!

Thank you, I intend to. It's nice having people who are supportive of my endeavors, even if I don't know you personally.

Quote from: Dracos on November 10, 2014, 11:54:07 PMI apparently have survived another year in a few days.  Good to do.

Congratulations Drac. ^_^

Rukatin

Quote from: Kaldrak on November 11, 2014, 01:38:11 AM
Thank you, I intend to. It's nice having people who are supportive of my endeavors, even if I don't know you personally.

If I may ask, what is it about?
I'm going to need your signature for the metric ton of whoop-ass you're about to receive.

"You enslave minds!"

Anastasia

Yeah, what is your book about, anyway?
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Kaldrak

Ah yes, the trap.

Here I will attempt to ramble on about my vanity project in a way that doesn't make it seem like a pile of rubbish. Being a somewhat talented writer, (at least so I keep telling myself) you would think that this would be easy to do.

Alas, it is not.

What is my book about?

The book contains a mixture of supernatural elements from Greek and Celtic mythology in a modern day setting, but I also included some science fiction, pretty much just because. I believe the only genre it fits one hundred percent into is called 'urban fantasy'.

That doesn't tell you that much, though.

So what is it about, really?

I could tell you that the three main characters are female. I could tell you that each of them goes on a supernatural journey and they all encounter strange and sometimes terrible things. I could tell you that the main characters of the first and second part of the book used to be best friends, but now no longer speak to one another. I could tell you that the main character of the third part is a rather young and naïve werewolf.

I could tell you that there is a prophecy that binds them all together. I could tell you of the monsters that some of them face. I could speak of the fact that some of the monsters wear human faces.

I could talk about nightmares and insanity and darkness and death. I could tell you of terrible obsession and black desire. I could mention forces of incredible power contesting amongst themselves behind the scenes. 

I could say so much, but I'm not quite sure how. It all sounds terribly cliché, wouldn't you say?

Anyway, this is a bit of a derail and I apologize. I can discuss this further by PM or over in the writing section perhaps.

Rukatin

That sounds rather epic. Don't be too hard on yourself! I have the same problem explaining anime plots to people!

"You enslave minds!"

Rukatin

Sending out ALL the job applications.

"You enslave minds!"

Rukatin

"You enslave minds!"

Rukatin

My extra credit class Art Metals and Jewelry is fun!

"You enslave minds!"