News:

"In closing, we have the best hobby ever. The End."

Main Menu

Appreciations of the day

Started by thepanda, November 25, 2005, 11:45:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracos

Eh, There's a Lot of Cavaets there.

75k for an individual living in illinois is very different from 75k for Cape of Good Hope Africa is very different then Downtown Manhattan.  Do all of those just naturally share the same balance point when cost of food, transport, and living space may be double or triple in difference between them?

Are you a bachelor?  One of two incomes?  Supporting a family of 4-6 on your own?  Living with friends/family that help subsidize or split things?  The idea that all of these have the same 'happy' point is kind of absurd on its face.  I have about the same salary as a coworker right near me, but he has 4 kids and a wife to support on it so finds it a challenging in a way I who don't have that burden (and pleasure) don't.  Doubling my salary again would hardly mean much personal pleasure (more generousity maybe) but he would see a significant ease of life difference with it.

There's totally an 'enough' point where afterwards additional income of modest changes does not particularly adjust lifestyle (or you've reached a pleasant local maximum in which you could argue the social adjustment of going to the next one alone is unpleasant enough to merit this being The Happy Point), but saying that everyone has the same one or that it's just greed isn't really fair.

Being paid more for some roles often can translate into working less and having more freedom.  Taking Merc's example: If he had his current salary for 3 days a week work, he'd probably not be strongly interested in the 5 days a work option (Or maybe he would, being some of the many that derive pleasure from their work focused accomplishments).

Living in less sometimes can be a thing too.  There are folks in SF who live in 20 person communes, sharing life spaces for very minimal rents.  Their monthly needs to keep them good are less.  I'm pretty sure I'd end up on the news as crazed maniac if I tried to pull that off, being someone that burns out after enough social hours and having gotten raised the vast majority of my life having my own private area.

You'd be at least closer saying "Once you hit 10 percent of your income as freely available luxury, more doesn't make much difference", but then is a nice living space luxury?

Freedom is very nice, but how many of us really have (regardless of income) the ability to just take off a few days anytime at random?  I 'kinda' do, but I also work in a pretty high intensity field at the same time.  Truthfully, are there really that many low salary jobs that also offer lots of flexible vacation (Outside of I guess, quitting and being able to easily get rehired)?  I haven't seen that to be much of a thing.

(The yammering Dracos appears)
Well, Goodbye.

Ranma_007

Yeah. Honestly, all I want to do is gather up my friends and play a few rounds of Secret Hitler and have some Chicago pizza and 312 beer. That's happiness there (darn if Secret Hitler doesn't ship until April though... and Yuth/KL, can I get a what what for Chicago's awesome pizza and excellent beer?). Family. Friends. Good social networks (I mean this not in the sense of Facebook). Making a zillion dollars doesn't mean much if you don't have that.

I definitely don't have the ability to take off a few days at random... we just planned the entire years' worth of vacations/trips/surgeries, because if it's not booked now, it's not happening this year.

With all the snow though, I would be happy retiring in Florida. I could get used to no snow in the wintertime...

Ranma_007

And sleep. What I wouldn't give for several nights of uninterrupted sleep, the kind that refreshes you and you feel a zillion times better when you wake up. I miss that sleep.

Dracos

Retiring to florida is a trap.  a TRAAAAAP.

*waves from sunny cali of 'snow, what snow' and knows there is a lot of other options outside the hurricane capital*
Well, Goodbye.

VySaika

Cali > Florida. Add more > as needed. Sure, it'll fall off into the ocean one day, but still not as annoying as getting hurricanes to the face on a yearly basis(disclaimer: I hate rain).

And while Cali has it's problems, we do have 100% less Florida Man!
All About Monks
<Marisa> They're OP as fuck
<Marisa> They definitely don't blow in 3.5
<Marisa> after a certain level they basically just attack repeatedly until it dies
<Marisa> they're immune to a bunch of high level effects
<Marisa> just by being monks

Anastasia

I'm not convinced California exists. It seems to be some mysterious and terrifying land where Democrats come from. I for one consider it a myth akin to the Lost Cities of Gold or Atlantis.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Rukatin

Quote from: Anastasia on January 27, 2016, 10:33:01 PM
I'm not convinced California exists. It seems to be some mysterious and terrifying land where Democrats come from. I for one consider it a myth akin to the Lost Cities of Gold or Atlantis.

Where does Wisconsin rate on your scale then?
I'm going to need your signature for the metric ton of whoop-ass you're about to receive.

"A 'Cult'? Such disrespect for other people's beliefs."
"You enslave minds!"
"And I believe that's okay."

Anastasia

<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Ranma_007

They do have the Dells in Wisconsin, I hear. Haven't been, but that's what a lot of people talk about.

Rukatin

Quote from: Anastasia on January 28, 2016, 01:30:49 PM
Canada with more cheese.
Sounds about right. Though we aren't as polite and our weather changes constantly.
I'm going to need your signature for the metric ton of whoop-ass you're about to receive.

"A 'Cult'? Such disrespect for other people's beliefs."
"You enslave minds!"
"And I believe that's okay."

Ranma_007

Quote from: Gatewalker on January 27, 2016, 06:52:23 PM
Cali > Florida. Add more > as needed. Sure, it'll fall off into the ocean one day, but still not as annoying as getting hurricanes to the face on a yearly basis(disclaimer: I hate rain).

But... the taxes... and the water shortage...

Kaldrak

Quote from: Ranma_007 on January 29, 2016, 11:56:18 AM
Quote from: Gatewalker on January 27, 2016, 06:52:23 PM

But... the taxes... and the water shortage...

Blame agriculture. That's where most of the water usage is anyway, but since it makes big bucks it'll never be cut and the citizens will just have to do without watering their lawns or getting water at a restaurant, which accounts for a tiny, piddling percentage of it, but who really cares about what actually causes a problem? Nope, it's those dastardly normal people using too much. Couldn't be almonds or anything....
"Do what you want to do. Do what you like doing. Write the stories you want to see written and give other people the same courtesy. That is all that is important."

Merc

I've had an order for board games sitting since July 3rd last year. Unfortunately, one of the items was a pre-order item, but fine, I was expecting it in August. Except then it was October. Then it was November. Then it was December. Finally it was January. I think I would have murdered someone if it got pushed back -again-.

Thankfully, it finally came in.

I don't know how much of it is frustration with the delay, but I've felt sorely unhappy with the preorder item.

The rest of the order has been fun at least.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Olvelsper

Was it a kickstarter type thing?
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2589971/Ol%27Velsper : Then we will write in the shade.

Merc

No. Game in question was the Race for the Galaxy expansion "Xeno Invasion". It was originally meant to come out during that August period, which I was fine with, and I tossed it into an order not thinking much about it.

Unfortunately, some problem or another rose, I hear that the card back was off-color so you could tell when the cards came up compared to the base set/other expansions, and that apparently caused a half a year of delay somehow.

The worst part is that there was no communication of any sort besides the release date just continually getting pushed further, no explanations, and the Rio Grande website page for it?

http://riograndegames.com/Game/1290-RFTG-Xeno-Invasion

Look at the Errata: "This game is perfect"

-_-;;;
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.