News:

"Destiny Challenged us and so we chose to end the world.  There was nothing to regret.  Nothing."

Main Menu

The "What Are You Playing Today" Thread

Started by Dracos, December 29, 2005, 01:48:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Dracos

Lots of Touhou the Spire (https://store.steampowered.com/app/646570/Slay_the_Spire/ ) with some Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Skies SC.
Well, Goodbye.

Pinkerton

Played a lot of Anthem in the past few days. I expected a lot more depth, but the core gameplay is pretty fun. First "modern" game I played in a long time. haha

Anastasia

I've heard a lot of negative buzz about Anthem. Would you say it's shallow?
<Afina> Forever.

Arakawa

Anthem's Law:

Anything that involves a jetpack cannot be irredeemable.
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Dracos

Been playing Final Fantasy 4 The Darkness Within mod.  Does some interesting things but overall neutral on it.  Cecil, post paladin, has a really rough period.  Generally turning down the battle speed is necessary as otherwise enemies end up getting too many attacks (Something isn't quite right in how player and enemy action speeds scale with that setting).

It definitely tries to do some interesting things with weaknesses to encourage not just strongest weapon/armor but largely that ends up being a bit of a pain since the game just doesn't have good shuffle gear mechanics.

It's most interesting bit is a rework of the order of events and corresponding plot drives.  It cuts down the number of crystals and sets a lot of bonus encounters with former team-mates.  That said it's whole death and recovery thing is kind of arbitrary and just shrugs off killing a few kids.
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

Yeah. As far as FF4 mods go, I think the randomizer is the best thing that's come out for it. I watched some of TDW's story and I wasn't terribly impressed.
<Afina> Forever.

Dracos

http://ngplus.net/index.php?/forums/forum/13-super-mario-rpg-armageddon/ - I enjoyed this.  It was an interesting remix with a lot of crossover bosses, custom events, and just mixing it up.  Definitely has an xp curve problem in the middle though.

Beat Wonder Boy the dragon's Trap recently.  It was a beautiful love letter to a game I'd never played.  Every bit of it put to try and capture the charm behind an 8-bit dream.  And for the most of it, it was fun.

Screw mouse-man's unknown level.  Seriously.  I finished every bit but that.
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night is very good. I'm playing through it, maybe halfway or so. At the moment, all I want to say is that the entire run around to get full access in water is the one glaring flaw in the game so far.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

I'm near the end of Bloodstained. I'd call it a high, high, high 9/10 verging on 10/10, but not quite. The only game in this SOTN style that I'd put higher than it is....SOTN. Surprise.

I may do a big, long post about this ala Kaldrak once I finish, as I have a ton of thoughts about this game. Ideally I finish in a day or two, depending on how much time I have to sink into it.
<Afina> Forever.

Dracos

Enjoying Bloodstained so far.  kind of grinding it too hard.  I'm no where near as far as Kotono.  I feel excessively rewarded for going in and out of room slaughtering the same few demons a huge number of times.  I think I'd rank a few of them above this (and SoTN) but it's a great take on the style so far.
Well, Goodbye.

Jason_Miao

Played Overload w/friends in a private match.

It's like Descent with more modern graphics.

Dracos

Lots of Earth Defense Force 5 lately.

Tried 20XX.  It's like Necrodancer but with megaman.  Cute.  Unsure if I like megaman gameform quite enough to do it a while.
Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

Replayed FF13-2.  Still like certain parts of it, but man does the Puzzle Rush segment drag hard and Caius is just a really stupid concept.  "Pardon me, my victory conditions are:
1) you beat me
2) I beat you
3) You do nothing
4) I do nothing"

Just in general it's an odd way of stacking the deck.
Well, Goodbye.

Jason_Miao