ECB v Granberry's Farewell to the FFML

Started by Dracos, October 15, 2003, 12:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracos

Okay, this one bears some lead in for those not familiar with Granberry or the FFML events surrounding him.  Roughly a week ago, there was a big ruckus over on the FFML surrounding Kenko's new fic "Queen of the Amazons".  During this, Brian posted a clipped C&C of the fic, expressing his disappointment with the completely tensionless environment and overly obvious setup of the fic.  This incited a huge, for that list, public flame war from Kenko's fans, most notably lead by Don Granberry, illustrious writer of Comes the Cold Dragon.  Leading off with a public recrimination of the FFML as a whole for daring to criticize Kenko, he proceeded to lay into Brian publicly and indicate that we were all fools for not finding Kenko's latest fic hillarious.  Following this were many heated comments and my own C&C of the work slipped within the swarm in response before the Admins, quite intelligently, closed the thread.  Now, we were generally expecting this to be the end of it, the rest of the list apparently cowed as the admins considered what to do with those who'd been at the heart of the whole issue.  DB Sommers though decided to add his two cents privately to Don Granberry, sending him a couple relatively civil emails disagreeing with his opinion...  only to remarkably have Don explode after two emails.  Don's second email back, littered with profanity, ended up being bounced by a server side filter on DB's email, placed without DB's knowledge.  Don, being the clever man that he is, decided to go ahead and post the private email to the list along with a very loud and public flame and a Farewell to the FFML.  We, getting a hold of this, found it too too amusing, and have decided to ECB it.  Today's ECB was one of our rare joint efforts by myself and Brian.  Read it and enjoy.

It'll be a few days till I send it to Granberry in accordance with a new personal policy that stems from the fact that somehow some error slips through and gets noticed 24 hours after I post this here.

Evil Commentary Bureau Versus Don Granberry's Farewell to the FFML

Dracos
Well, Goodbye.

thepanda

DB: "I have spoken. None my refute my judgement."

May

What he's doing now is a sufficient divergence that he can't have the
chracters act like they're still in the 'canon' universe

characters

Dracos

Not editting any of the Don/DB posts.

Dracos
Well, Goodbye.

thepanda

Doh! >_<

Ignore that then. >.>

Being the fan of irony that I am, I couldn't help but to laugh at the bit about your c&c. ^^

KLSymph

Not a FFML'er myself, and I don't believe I've ever read Comes the Cold Dragon, but now thanks to this ECB I will always associate the name Don Granberry with the image of a little green muppet hunchback holding a lantern and steak knife.

Which makes statements like
ECBDon: "WHYFORE PUNY HUMANS ALWAYS PICK ON DONBERRY?"
All the more amusing. ^_^

Good work as always Dracos, Brian.

Olvelsper

Don is secretly Tonberry in disguise?

*doinks Don before he gets doinked in response* o_o
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2589971/Ol%27Velsper : Then we will write in the shade.

Dracos

The setup Brian made for that was just beautiful.  I loved adding the final little touch to bring it out.

Glad to hear you guys enjoyed it ^_^

Dracos
Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

Additional information:

Following the posting of this Farewell and his public recrimination against Brian, Granberry sent off a certain request to all his prereaders.

Remarkably...Brian was among them.

*email*

All of you who subscribe to FFML, know by now or will know shortly that I
have been "indefinitely" banned from posting there. If you bother to read
everything I posted to FFML, you will also know that I very coldly and with
forethought violated FFML rules. It is not for me to say whether you should
support me for having done this. Also, I am well aware that I am not the
easiest writer to pre-read for. Worse, CtCD has grown into a drawn out
series rather than a novel-length story. Many of you, I am sure, are tired
of working on it.

So here is what I will ask of you. Upon receiving this message, please
respond to it as quickly as you may, and let me know if you wish to continue
receiving it. I will wait until Friday, 10 Oct O3 before I make changes to
the list. If I do not receive word from by that date, I will assume you are
no longer interested in working on the project and will not trouble you to
justify your decisions. More importantly, please rest assured that a
negative decision on your part will not result in hard feelings on my part.

I have, since being banned from FFML, received a couple of invitations to
contribute on other fan-fiction oriented mailing lists. I may or may not
elect to post to either or both. I have to think about it for a few days.

I have just received word from my current host, http://www.iamnota.net/ will
be happy to continue hosting CtCD, so its web address will NOT be changing.

That's all, folks! Thanks for all the fish!

Don.

*end email*

Not terribly relevent, but I found it funny that after the whole mess went down he still emailed Brian asking for help on C&C'ing.

Dracos
Well, Goodbye.

Brian

Ah, man.  That's a masterpiece, Dracos.  Brilliant editing and additions on your part really shined the rock I handed you into a true gem.
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

DB

Quote from: "Brian"Ah, man.  That's a masterpiece, Dracos.  Brilliant editing and additions on your part really shined the rock I handed you into a true gem.

% Agree with Brain there. That was brilliant stuff. Though I still think he was posturing and will be back. They always come back. :(

Brian

And now, further confusion.

Since this is in the same vein, I'll toss it up here, though we may remove or relocate it later.

Of somewhat related circumstances, and linked in with the Donberry Incident, we have this: http://ww...

But wait, this too requires a small bit of backstory.

Part of the original Donberry Incident was Lurker's public flaming me for being an idiot for not appreciating the genius of Kenko.  Quick note here: I have nothing against the guy.  He's not a bad person.  But his writing is really weak on dramatic tension, the plot is telegraphed, the scenarios are often painfully contrived, and his humor usually just doesn't work for me.

When Thermopyle wrote some scathing C&C of another author on the FFML, I replied to his comment publically and encourated him not to post if he didn't enjoy it.  Seeing as I had stopped C&Cing Kenko's fic when it did nothing for me when I read it; that was the genesis of the Donberry Incident.  In reply to me telling Thermopyle he shouldn't waste his time with things he didn't  enjoy, Lurker sent me a private flame, which you can now read below....

http://www.rakhal.com/durandall/secret/lurker/index.html

And in a moment, you can SKIP all of this, and read our resident ECB master's' 'ECB meets DPR' take on the situation:
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Dracos

FFML Goodness in 60 seconds!

Delphi: THERM, EVEN YOU CAN'T SAY SOMETHING NEGATIVE ON THIS!
Therm: Oh yeah?
Therm: *Says something negative.  Quite negative*
FFML: SHOCK AND HORROR!
Gaijin Togashi: You have hurt my feelings. KILLFILE!
SKjam: You know, vitrolic as therm was, he did have many good points which you should read.
Brian: Man, you should've stopped when you concluded it was lame, Therm.  Why read further?
Lurker(to brian): EVIL HYPOCRITE!
Lurker(To Therm): You are today's vitrolic evil villian of the week!  FUCK YOU!  AND AND, I KILLFILE YOU!  THERE LOLOLOLOL!
Brian: Aren't you the guy who is famous for being super negative and attacking new authors?  You know, I spell Hypocrite "L-U-R-K-E-R"
Lurker: Well, You've hurt my feelings too!  I'll KILLFILE YOU!
Brian: Congrats, I was predicting you would, but you beat my message telling you that you would killfile me by 30 seconds.  Good thing I have another email to send it.  You win, Captain Maturity.
End Show.

Dracos
Well, Goodbye.

thepanda

Kaneda

Well, It's been awhile since I've read an ECB, but I must say that It was very amusing, Drac, Brian. :)
I am matter. I am antimatter. I can see your past. I can see your future. I consume time and I will consume you!"-Culex

Dracos

Just a little addition.

Lurker apparently still hasn't killfiled Thermopyle.

After multiple times telling him and the list he would.

"I'll Killfile you just after I respond to one more of your messages.  Just one more!"

Dracos
Well, Goodbye.