News:

"It occured to me while drunk, so it must have been genius."

Main Menu

Prologue: The Commission

Started by Halbarad, June 10, 2004, 06:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carthrat

"A geomancer," replies Arkian, shrugging. "What of you?"
[19:14] <Annerose> Aww, mouth not outpacing brain after all?
[19:14] <Candide> My brain caught up

Ebiris

The card reads:

Rowan Lammermuir
Licensed Summoner Second Class, Third Category, Unlimited
Bsc Magical Theory
Ma History
Royal Mugen Institute

"That's right," the redhead confirms Michael's words. "What of yourself?"

Jon

"As I said, a grad student in archeaology. I was about to get my master's, when this happened." He motions vaguely with his right hand a bit. "It's a long story that includes the words 'Then, since I was an idiot' a lot, but I guess we don't have much else to do while we wait."

Ebiris

"Oh, dear..." Rowan winces, sitting down. She doesn't ask directly, but her posture does make it clear that she's curious.

Jon

"Well, to make that long story shorter, I managed to conspire my way into having the first shot at a newly discovered artifact. My thesis was going to be just great. Unfortunately, as I walked home from picking it up, some thugs decided to dispute my good fortune." Michael pauses to see what reactions his small audience has to this.

Carthrat

Arkian raises an eyebrow. "I see you must have given them quite a shock," he observes.

Ebiris

"They stole it?!" Rowan gasps, horrified.

Don't people take precautions against this sort of thing?

Jon

"Ah, no. The artifact resolved the conflict by, I don't know; probably the best word is 'melding' to my hand." Michael holds up his right hand again. "As far as anyone can tell, my hand is solid rock. But it still works like my old one, except my sense of touch is a little dulled and my hand is now a whole lot stronger." He lets it drop back to his side.

"The other guy... Well, while I was screaming at my hand, rocks pulled themselves out of nearby buildings and the ground and spontaneously built a wall between myself and the thugs. Unfortunately for the ringleader, he got caught in the middle. I think he's still alive, but he'll be in intensive care for a long time. I still don't know how it happened, except that the artifact did it somehow."

Carthrat

Arkian glances at the rock hand, an impressed look coming across his face.

"It did it by itself?" he says, with intrest. "Where did it come from? Does it have a name?"

Ebiris

Rowan winces, shaking her head. "Have you tried having an exorcism or anything? I can recommend a good priest for that."

It doesn't sound like he has any conscious control over it at all... that could be extremely dangerous, she thinks, rather alarmed.

Jon

"It's a rock, Rowan. How do you exorcise a rock? They thought about cutting it off and fitting me with a prosthetic hand, but it seems to be interfacing with my neural structure, and the medtechs at the university hospital decided the shock would probably kill me. That's part of why I'm here, to keep this thing away from other people, in case it goes off again, or in case someone else decides they want it."

Michael shrugs. "Sorry if I got carried away. It's just that this thing has given me a lot of stress these last few months. And no, Arkian, I have no idea what it is. My brother found it on his farm, and we were going to submit it to the National Museum once I'd finished my thesis, but it's too late now."

Carthrat

Arkian pauses. "Are you sure this is the best course of action, though?" he asks. "After all, if your intent is to keep away from people in general, this will only be a temproary solution."

Ebiris

Rowan gives Michael a flat look. "Rock's don't have a sense of touch, and they can't make other rocks fly out of buildings to make walls. Its obviously magic, and dangerous.

"If it melded itself to your arm, it can UNmeld itself as well."

Giving his arm a more curious examination, she goes on, "It actually reminds me of a Golem's arm, if a bit smoother."

Jon

"Well, maybe it'll unmeld itself on its own, or maybe I'll figure out how to control it. In the worst case, this gives me time away from crowded areas while the medtechs continue to try to figure out a way to sever it."

What's with this girl? Michael thinks. First meetings and already she wants to burn me at the stake or something. I'm not THAT dangerous. Am I?

Carthrat

Arkian smiles. "I, for one, hope you gain control over it. It would be a pity to sever it when it could hold so much utility.

Utility beyond violence," he amends, giving Rowan a quick glance.