News:

"The truth is stranger than fiction, but not stranger than fanfiction."

Main Menu

Mission 3: The Passion of Kaguzachi Momoro

Started by Ebiris, January 05, 2007, 04:54:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ebiris

[10:39] <@Ko-Ratsmellsfunny> It is to sleep and it is to dream? In her landscape of dreams and delusions, Anastasia hears it.  Chaotic crashing, dizzied destruction. One could sleep here and sleep well if it wasn't for that. The sounds of this, all consumed by a great -white- roar, endless and engulfing.
[10:41] * @Ana-chan shudders in her sleep, curling up in her bed at the discordant wandering of her dreams.
[10:45] <@Ko-Ratsmellsfunny> It's like a gateway into something vast, the portal of the very essence of destruction. IN it's wake you can hear nothing, only silence. Long stretching, eternal silence. It should never have been broken, but it is. You hear that sound again, that noise - like crystal, like shimmering. An impression, a sound, then a chaotic flash. Anastasia finds herself sitting upright in bed, body shaking and brow covered in sweat.
[10:46] * @Ana-chan lets out a sharp gasp as she wakes with a start, one hand held to her chest as she tries to calm her racing heart. "What WAS that?" she mutters to herself in Russian, going over what she can remember of the dream. "That sound again..."
[10:48] <@Ko-Ratsmellsfunny> It's just a hazy blur, a mishmash of fragmented dreamscape. HEr heart needs several long seconds, but as it does - the sound of a knock on Anastasia's door. Quite plain, uncaring of the time.
[10:49] * @Ana-chan shakes her head, trying to still her racing thoughts. "Who is it?" she calls, switching back to Japanese.
[10:51] <@Kotono> "Myself." IT sounds like Alexandria's servant, his knocking ceasing once Anastasia replies.
[10:52] <@Ana-chan> "What did you want, then?" Ana says, sighing a bit as she tries to relax.
[10:53] <@Kotono> "I have water and a sleeping aid. Please take them." HIs voice is level and calm as always, the knocking restrained.
[10:54] * @Ana-chan falls silent - she KNOWS she didn't make that much noise waking up. "...leave them by the door, I shall get to them in a while," the blind blonde says, her voice a bit flat.
[10:54] <@Kotono> "As you wish." You can hear the sound of the tray being put down, then the servant walking away.
[10:57] * @Ana-chan gets out of the bed wordlessly, although the door isn't her destination. Heading over to the window, she rests her arms on the sill, letting what little light comes from outside wash over her - she's not exactly sleepy at this point, but not too interested in Alexandria's 'sleeping aids' either.
[10:59] <@Kotono> It's a cold, nearly moonless night. What little light there is comes from below - one of the first story rooms facing the ocean is alit. You think that's one of the leisure rooms, though you couldn't be sure without going downstairs.
[11:01] * @Ana-chan finds the fact that there are lights on below to be a rather odd occurrence, and with sleep out of the question for the moment a walk wouldn't be unwelcome as it is. Taking a moment to change out of her nightgown and into a sweater and slacks, she heads out, ignoring the tray near her door as she pads silently down to the first floor.
[11:03] <@Kotono> On it are a few plain pills and water, as advertised. On heading down the stairs you find it to be dark and very silent here. The entire house is asleep, no untold irritants besides your own footsteps ruining the nighttime serenity. On coming to the leisure room, you find it's door closed.
[11:05] * @Ana-chan places her ear to the door - it's a little unusual for it to be closed at this time of night, and the light has her curious. Maybe it's just Alexandria or Karuma watching TV - she can't really picture the servant kicking back with the TV to relax - but there's no harm in checking, is there?
[11:08] <@Kotono> You can hear slow breathing - Alexandria, you think. The TV's off, but she's in there. It's quiet beyond that, nothing disturbing.
[11:09] * @Ana-chan keeps her own movements silent as always, lingering for a few moments more before turning away.
[11:10] <@Kotono> roll 2d8
[11:10] * +Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 11." [2d8=4, 7]
[11:10] <@Kotono> OOC - Check based on listening/noticing things. Body.
[11:11] <@Ana-chan> roll 2d8 for hearing, target 13
[11:11] * +Hatbot --> "Ana-chan rolls 2d8 for hearing, target 13 and gets 6." [2d8=5, 1]
[11:11] <@Kotono> It's an incredibly soft footstep behind you.
[11:12] * @Ana-chan straightens up from the door, heading away from the leisure room herself without a sound - and away from the footstep, as well.
[11:13] <@Kotono> "Miss Anastasia." It's the servant,s peaking up softly - no, a whispier - as you begin to go. "Please, take the pill."
[11:14] <@Ana-chan> "I am not sleepy at the moment," Anastasia replies, shaking her head. "I intend to take a walk for a while - I will take it when I am finished," she says stiffly.
[11:14] <@Kotono> You hear him step away, a bow. "As you wish."
[11:15] * @Ana-chan hunches her shoulders a bit, heading away from the servant - the man moves like she does! - deciding that a walk on the grounds would probably help. Some fresh - if cold - air should help to clear her head, at least if it's stopped raining.
[11:19] <@Kotono> It is rainless outside. Only the chilly grounds, sea swept cliffs. It's perfectly solemn outside here, peaceful and silent int he dark night. The fountain flows in an endless melody, accompained by the perfect silence of the still, unused cars.
[11:21] * @Ana-chan walks slowly towards the cliffs, taking a deep breath of the clean seabreeze as she tries to relax. For all the tension she feels inside the mansion sometimes - Alexandria and her silent servant make her more than a little nervous at times - the grounds outside are peaceful and calming.
[11:22] <@Kotono> The cliffs are ragged, a slender metal fence mostly wrapped around to prevent any unpleasant accidents. Down below you can hear the sea, smell the salt and foam. So peaceful here...
[11:26] * @Ana-chan closes her eyes, resting her hands against the fence as she takes in the roar of the spray below. Soon, though, the cold begins to make itself felt a bit too keenly, and so the assassin heads back inside, having at least found a small measure of peace for the moment. Back to her room she ascends, pausing for a moment at the tray.
[11:26] <@Kotono> The tray is still here - cool water and small pills.
[11:27] <@Ana-chan> Shaking her head, she takes the entire tray inside, setting it on a small endtable by the door before closing the room once again. The pills disappear into her purse, the water left untouched for now. She doesn't entirely trust medicine in the house of a woman who raises nightshade and other poisonous plants for whatever purpose.
[11:28] <@Ana-chan> With that detail taken care of, she changes back into her silk nightgown, wrapping herself up in the blankets to try to get back to sleep if she can.
[11:28] <@Kotono> The rest of the evening is a torrid, horrible glaze. Anastasia can't sleep at all, only a thin visage of restful slumber that instead butchers her awarenes and leaves her tired the next morning.
[11:33] * @Ana-chan does the best she can, but she can't keep her feet from dragging. At least there seems to be no rush on their next job, so maybe some afternoon napping won't be out of the question. And if she's lucky she might be able to get Chizuru to take a look at those pills.
[11:34] <@Kotono> OOC - Going to do anything of note before ringing up Chizi-chan?
[11:34] <@Ana-chan> OOC - Grabbing coffee and fruit for breakfast, then probably checking out the news. Other than that no.
[11:37] <@Kotono> The news is quiet today. There's  areport on Officer Musashi, with the police issuing a terse statement that the matter will be investigated. Past that unusually quiet statement, the anchor goes on. "Today the Japanese Army announced it's new recruitment figures reached their goal of a 1.5 million man standing army for national defense." (More(
[11:41] <@Kotono> "Here to talk about it is relations officer Lt. Colonel Tejada. Welcome." The camera pans over, said man there. He has short black military cut hair, wearing a suit today. His face is polite and attractive, a perfect television face. This is lost on Anastasia, but his voice isn't. Even if it is poisoned with practiced calmness and ease.
[11:43] <@Kotono> "Thank you. WIth achiving our goals, the future safety of Japan can be insured." A pause, the anchor taking over then. "Thank you, Colonel. With recent instability in Neo Tokyo and several unexplained murders, will the military play any roll in this?"
[11:44] <@Kotono> "No. This is a civil matter," he goes on, "Our military is still a military of primarily defense. Despite what certain pundits claim." A little laugh there, civility at the dead maximum.
[11:46] <@Kotono> "I see. What of popular speculation that Magnu-" This ends abruptly, sharply. Tejada cuts in, throat cleared like a knifethrow. "Such speculations have no basis in reality whatsoever. The active imagination of a few...overpaid personalities does not make a conspiracy when there is no other evidence."
[11:47] <@Kotono> "Aah..." The anchor seems at a loss, dignified 40something voice lost and unusually unbalanced. "T-thank you, Colonel."
[11:47] * @Ana-chan raises an eyebrow at that - this same guy has been asked about Magnum Deus 666 several times, and seems to be pretty vehement about denying its existence. Perhaps a bit of research on her own employer's organization wouldn't be entirely out of order - but that'll mean a trip into Neo Tokyo.
[11:49] <@Kotono> OOC - Ball's in your court right now.
[12:03] <@Kotono> IT's the morning when the call comes to Chizuru. A ringing of the phone, disturbing her breakfast routine.
[12:06] * @Chizuru-san blinks, and grumbles to herself (her teeth currently hang onto a half-bitten slice of cheese, you have to compromise somewhere!). However, she finishes her business with that piece of breakfast as she gets up, picking the phone soon after. "Good morning, Takematsu speaking."
[12:07] <@Ana-chan> "Chizuru-san?" Ana's voice comes over the line. "I hope I'm not disturbing you."
[12:12] * @Chizuru-san eases her mind somewhat upon hearing Ana-chan's voice, and she shakes her head needlessly. "Oh, not really, Ana dearie. I was just finishing breakfast. How are you, my dear?"
[12:21] <@Ana-chan> "A bit tired today, to be perfectly honest, but... mmm. I have some business in town today, and I was wondering if you could give me a lift?"
[12:25] <@Chizuru-san> "Well, can you give me a few minutes, then? I'm not dressed for the outside world right now. I should be ready in about twenty minutes, so just tell me where to pick you up."
[12:26] <@Ana-chan> "I'm at the mansion right now - I know it's a bit of a drive, but Karuma's still in bed I think, or at least I haven't seen her this morning, and I didn't want to disturb her."
[12:28] * @Chizuru-san snickers. "Well, if you say so. A third-party coming to the mansion might disturb her a bit more than just waking her up, depending on the situation, but it's your call. Don't worry, I'll pick you up as soon as I'm dressed."
[12:29] <@Ana-chan> "Thanks, I appreciate it," Ana says with a smile. "I'll see you when you arrive then, Chizuru-san."
[12:32] * @Chizuru-san nods. "Okay. Bye-bye, Ana-chan." Hanging up the phone, Chizuru assumes a pensive, yet light-hearted semblance. She heads for the bedroom in order for a timely change. Ana-chan shouldn't be left waiting for too long, after all.
[12:33] <@Kotono> So soon Chizuru is driving. Driving to the mansion, to the front door where Anastasia awaits her ride. It's clear and blue skied today, a respite from the rain in late November.
[12:35] * @Ana-chan waits outside, dressed in a cream white sweater and a powder-blue skirt. Near the fence she stands, facing out over the sea cliffs and towards the crash of the surf and the calling of the birds.
[12:37] * @Chizuru-san looks up to the sky, somewhat grimacing. Despite the inviting cheerfulness of the day, something ominous seemed to roam around, beyond the eyes of people... but regardless. Chizuru honks, calling Ana's attention.
[18:38] * Ana-chan turns, quickly jogging over to the older woman's car. "Sorry, I didn't mean to keep you waiting," the Russian replies as she climbs inside. "I hope I wasn't interrupting anything today?"
[18:40] * Chizuru-san shakes her head with a smile, waving her hair back a little. "Ana-chan, I had basically nothing planned for today. If anything, it was a nice breath of fresh air. So... getting inside the car or you'd rather jog your way to downtown?"
[18:44] <Ana-chan> "All right, all right," Ana grumbles good-naturedly, slamming the door closed behind her. "How was your evening, then?"
[18:48] <Chizuru-san> "Pretty typical, really. I usually have a bit of trouble sleeping, so I tend to spend half my nights playing with my lab. Sometimes, I fall asleep sitting, although tonight I managed to slump off to bed. Probably did wonders for my mood", Chizuru snickers heartily.
[18:50] * Ana-chan smiles wryly. "Glad to hear at least ONE of us got some sleep last night - had a miserable time last night myself," Ana says, covering a yawn halfway through to emphasize the point. "Which does bring me to a favor I'd like to ask you, if you don't mind."
[18:51] <Chizuru-san> "Hm?", Chizuru raises an eyebrow as she starts the car and accelerates. "What do you have in mind, Ana-chan?"
[18:52] * Ana-chan digs in her purse briefly, producing the sleeping pills from the night before. "Alexandria's servant brought these by for me last night and seemed rather insistent that I take them - they're supposed to be sleeping pills, but I'm not entirely sure I trust that. Do you think you could check them out?"
[18:54] * Chizuru-san nods pensively. "... oh. I see. That's the real reason you called me, then? Well. I'd rather go back home to check the pills, myself. You willing to do the trip yourself?"
[18:56] <Ana-chan> "I really don't have a lot else to do at the moment - well, I do have one other thing to do, but it can wait," Ana replies. "I didn't really want to talk about it over the phone, though. I don't know how much to trust Alexandria right now."
[18:58] <Chizuru-san> "Okay, then. Back home is our next destination", Chizuru says blankly, driving back to her house.
[18:59] <Kotono> Soon the girls are at Chizuru's. It's a nice, quiet day still, the pills ready to be taken to Chizuru's lab.
[18:59] * Ana-chan lets the scientist take the lead here, not really sure what - if anything - she can do to help here.
[19:05] * Chizuru-san hums, taking the pills to hand and preparing them for chemical analysis. "I think this won't take too long, mmy dear."
[19:07] <Chizuru-san> roll 2d8
[19:07] * Hatbot --> "Chizuru-san rolls 2d8 and gets 11." [2d8=8, 3]
[19:09] <Kotono> OOC - Pass. They're normal but potent prescription sleeping pills. Not hard to get or that controlled, but they'll get you a good 8 hours of sleep.
[19:11] * Chizuru-san nods to herself and signals to Ana-chan as she finishes identifying the pills. "Well, Ana... it seems that they are just sleeping pills. Stronger than your average sleep pill, certainly. Those would smack you into a full night of slumber, but nothing else."
[19:12] * Ana-chan sighs a bit. "Guess I was worried for nothing, then. I don't suppose she'd be interested in doing harm to one of her assassins, but it's hard to be sure with all those poisonous plants she keeps in the greenhouse."
[19:14] * Chizuru-san snickers. "I'm certain she has much better things to do than prepare weaksauce poisons for the people living in her house with that kind of greenhouse, my dear. I would never leave that place If I lived there, myself."
[19:16] * Ana-chan shakes her head. "There's a lot she hasn't told us, so I'm a bit skeptical about what she's really after," Ana says with a frown. "My other project in town today was going to be looking for a library and trying to see what I can turn up about Magnum Deus 666 - for all that I apparently work for it, I know almost nothing about it other than the name."
[19:21] * Chizuru-san nods. "You're not the only one who's disoriented, my dear. If you're going to research, count me in. I'm interested myself... mostly regarding possible motivations."
[19:23] <Ana-chan> "I'd definitely appreciate the help," Ana says with a small smile. "They try, but so much in a library is meant for people to use their eyes for - I'm hopeless when it comes to using computers without reader software, and I hate using it even when it's available."
[19:25] <Chizuru-san> "I understand. It's shocking that so few libraries have a wide assorment of Braille books, considering the language itself has existed for over a century."
[19:27] <Ana-chan> "Oh, I can understand why," Ana says dryly. "Have you ever seen a Braille book yourself?"
[19:29] * Chizuru-san nods. "I have seen them, but never really tried to read them myself. Don't know the language. Still."
[19:34] <Ana-chan> "There's no real reason why you would," Ana says with a wry smile. "It's not like there are books written ONLY in Braille - pretty much everything you'd ever find in Braille you can find in print, and in a smaller form too. It's a big part of the reason why I learned how to read normal printing."
[19:36] * Chizuru-san raises an eyebrow in surprise. "Good lord, Ana-chan, that's... impressive. Sounds like a darned difficult task, though... the texture in print is very subtle."
[19:37] * Ana-chan shrugs. "It's just a matter of practice, but yes, it took quite a bit to get to this point," the blind girl replies. "But it doesn't help me much with a computer screen - there's no texture to that other than glass."
[19:38] <Kotono> OOC - To the library
[19:38] <Kotono> ?
[19:38] * Chizuru-san nods comprehensively. "I'd imagine. But... well, are we going to do some library-hopping or not? We might want to hurry."
[19:40] <Ana-chan> "I'm ready to go if you are," Anastasia says agreeably. "I'm not in any real rush, but we can go now."
[19:41] <Kotono> OOC - What library are you going to? General public?
[19:41] <Ana-chan> OOC - Cheese-chan's driving, ask her!
[19:42] <Chizuru-san> OOC - A general public library wouldn't have much available on the subject, truth be told, but it's a bit of a start. Heading back to Alexandria so soon might raise a bit of suspicion.
[19:43] <Kotono> OOC - Okay.
[19:44] <Kotono> The public library is a place of white walls, tall bookshelves and several floors. It's compacted and yet filled - half with computers, the information age in full swing. Yet there are also plenty of books and magazines, as well as old newspapers...OOC - Describe what you're looking for and how.
[19:45] <Ana-chan> "I'm betting that newspapers will probably be our best bet," Ana says, turning her head to pick up the sounds of the quiet building. "Probably more on the internet as well, but I won't be much use there."
[19:46] <Chizuru-san> "We probably should focus on a medium for this, in this particular case. Let's sift through newspaper archives first, then we start websearching."
[19:46] <Kotono> It's very quiet - keyboard strokes, sniffles, pages turning. That sort of thing. Demure - some punk kids are screwing around on a batch of computers, but most of the people are respectful.
[19:47] <Kotono> OOC - Okay. Mmm. Go ahead and make mind checks - this is pretty much information sorting/gathering along with a dollop of luck. There are lots of newspapers, after all. Both of you can make the check.
[19:48] <Ana-chan> roll 2d8 for mind ahahahahaha target 6
[19:48] * Hatbot --> "Ana-chan rolls 2d8 for mind ahahahahaha target 6 and gets 8." [2d8=7, 1]
[19:48] <Chizuru-san> roll 2d8
[19:48] * Hatbot --> "Chizuru-san rolls 2d8 and gets 9." [2d8=3, 6]
[19:49] <Kotono> Anastasia ends up mostly helping Chizuru. The genius dynamo rips through newspapers, finding several things of relative use:
[19:53] <Kotono> - Magnum Deus started appearing around 2008 or so. Scattered references, referring to something known but not seriously. Very rumorlike. Usually with a government official denying any comment on the matter.
[19:53] <Kotono> - Deus roughly means 'God' in Latin. This is mentioned in an article in passing.
[19:53] <Kotono> - Magnum+God+Number of the Beast? It leads one article in 2009 called the 'Magnum Deus phenominon' to describe it as latent anxienty over the fate of the world. This one dismisses it as purely fearmongering.
[19:53] <Kotono> - In 2014 a murderer claimed innocence despite overwhelming evidence; Magnum Deus framed him by his claim.
[19:55] * Chizuru-san hmmms at the information gathered, pondering over what they have so far. "Huh. This isn't exactly comprehensive, but we expected that. Fortunately, there are some things of interest..."
[19:56] <Ana-chan> "It's only a few fragments, sadly," Ana answers, shaking her head. "Nothing at all about what they're after or much beyond really vague rumors, other than the end of the world stuff."
[19:58] <Chizuru-san> "However, Magnum Deus 666 is very closely related to that, and Lady Alexandria herself hinted at it. I wouldn't say we're in the wrongest of paths, here. What interests me, though, is this murder case. This could yield some interesting info on Magnum Deus..."
[19:59] * Ana-chan picks up the paper in question, running her fingers over the tiny printing to glean more details about the case - even if it is more than a decade old.
[20:01] <Kotono> It's a pretty basic article, not long at all. Nozio Sanjuro was arrested for murdering his best friend and his best friend's wife, but he claimed it was a conspiracy by Magnum Deus 666.
[20:02] * Ana-chan looks for any details of how the two were murdered, or who the accused - or victims - might have been.
[20:03] <Kotono> Knife wounds. The vicims were his best friend and best friend's wife, as you already read. The article doesn't go into a ton of detail.
[20:04] <Ana-chan> "Hmm..." Ana says, considering for a moment. "Chizuru-san, do you think you could search online for more information about the people mentioned in this article?" the Russian asks, passing the old newspaper over to Chizuru.
[20:06] * Chizuru-san bites her lips. "Hm. I guess so. This murder case itself may warrant some digging over other places, but there's no rush for this right now, correct?" The Black Widow rummages through the pages of the newspaper given to her...
[20:06] <Kotono> The newspaper itself doesn't have any other hits.
[20:06] <Ana-chan> "Not in particular, although I'd like to know as much as I can before too much longer." Ana shakes her head.
[20:12] * Chizuru-san sighs. "If you want, we can rummage through the internet for extra tips, but I'm afraid we won't be able to extract much more than this in the library."
[20:13] <Ana-chan> "Where else could we look, though?" Anastasia asks, frowning a bit. "If you think we're done here we don't have to stay, but I have no idea where else to look."
[20:17] * Chizuru-san ponders. "Well... you think we could rummage through Alexandria's library? It's a potshot, and I doubt it'll be very productive, but it's a vague thought."
[20:18] <Ana-chan> "As far as I know we should be able to," Anastasia says a bit doubtfully. "I've never gone up there other than on business, but as far as I know it's not off-limits or anything."
[20:20] <Chizuru-san> "Then, we're heading up there. Better than scavenging through ancient tabloids, I guess."
[20:21] <Kotono> OOC - Skip ahead to there?
[20:22] <Ana-chan> OOC - Sure.
[20:24] <Kotono> So you return to the mansion. It's a little past lunch time when you arrive, a few errant clouds drifting over the sun. At the front door Alexandria's servant waits, holding it open as the two women approach.
[20:28] * Chizuru-san nods silently to the servant as she arrives, a blank look on her face. She waits for Anastasia...
[20:29] * Ana-chan heads in, her features rather blank as she passes the servant - nice as it was when she first moved in, the mansion is starting to give her the creeps sometimes, and being on short sleep isn't helping her mood much today.
[20:30] <Kotono> He doesn't say anything, but merely stands aside. The stairs are ahead, the library waiting on the top floor...
[20:31] * Chizuru-san moves onwards, somewhat hurriedly.
[20:33] * Ana-chan heads for the stairs at a more measured pace, blinking a bit - last night is starting to catch up with her, sadly.
[20:33] <Kotono> The libarary is silently restful. The shelves are stacked tall, books waiting. No sign of anyone up here, at least not obviously.
[20:36] * Ana-chan decides to wait and listen for a moment, and if the library really is as empty as it seems she'll head back towards Alexandria's usual 'hiding spot' towards the rear of the library, the place where she first heard the sound.
[20:38] <Kotono> OOC - Hearing check.
[20:38] <Ana-chan> roll 2d8 for hearing, target 13
[20:38] * Hatbot --> "Ana-chan rolls 2d8 for hearing, target 13 and gets 7." [2d8=2, 5]
[20:39] <Kotono> Anastasia can hear someone turning bookpages far, far in the back of the library, hidden behind curves.
[20:42] * Ana-chan decides to play it safe for now - headed back towards that part of the library, but not intruding on Alexandria - for it certainly has to be her, the servant didn't pass them on the stairs and she can't see Karuma hanging out in here. Deciding on a point about midway between the entrance and the back, she selects a book at random and starts to scan it - if nothing else to find out what it's about.
[20:43] <Kotono> roll 2d8
[20:43] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 7." [2d8=3, 4]
[20:44] <Kotono> It's a book about worldwide politics and history in 1700-1899. Very dense and difficult to read, but a few notes have been enscribed in places. Handwritten in soft pencil, easy to erase.
[20:45] * Ana-chan grimaces, doing her best to keep her touch light - it's easy to smear pencil if she's not careful, but at least it leaves indentations on the page even if she does.
[20:46] <Kotono> The notes are generally little things in a Western language you don't understand. It's consistent, though. The writings aren't that old, either.
[20:47] * Chizuru-san stops the search for a moment, realizing she's lost track of Ana. Chizuru tries to keep her steps light, looking for her companion.
[20:48] <Kotono> Chizuru finds Anastasia reading a book by a bookshelf. It's a thick, heavy looking one as well.
[20:50] * Chizuru-san approaches slowly. It seems Ana is rather focused on the book... that, and there's a clear, nervous atmosphere in the air. So dense you could shear it apart with a blade.
[20:51] * Ana-chan turns to Chizuru, passing her the book. "I can't read the language, whatever it is," she whispers.
[20:54] * Chizuru-san approaches, looking at the book. "Wonder if I can decipher it myself, although... knowing miss Alexandria, I'd doubt it..."
[20:56] <Kotono> The normal writing is in Japanese but those little notes are in another, Western languague. OOC - What tongues do you speak?
[20:58] <Chizuru-san> OOC - Portuguese, Russian, English and Japanese. I'd assume it's not enough here.
[20:59] <Kotono> OOC - Go ahead and make a mind check here.
[20:59] <Kotono> OOC - One piont bonus, I think.
[21:01] <Chizuru-san> roll 2d8 target 13
[21:01] * Hatbot --> "Chizuru-san rolls 2d8 target 13 and gets 8." [2d8=2, 6]
[21:02] <Kotono> It's not a language you can read, but you know enough about English and he like to tell it's French.
[21:08] * Chizuru-san grimaces. "I cannot read this language, dear... it's French."
[21:09] * Ana-chan shrugs - if it can't be read, then it can't be read. Selecting another book from the shelf, she begins to skim over it as well - paying attention more to the contents than to any notes made on it, since those will undoubtedly be incomprehensible as well.
[21:09] <Kotono> roll 2d8
[21:09] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 12." [2d8=8, 4]
[21:10] <Kotono> This one is a treatise on nuclear power generation. It's quite complex, but no notes are in this one.
[21:11] <Ana-chan> "Odd pair," Anastasia murmurs under her breath in Russian, replacing the book on the shelf before choosing another.
[21:12] <Kotono> roll 2d8
[21:12] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 14." [2d8=8, 6]
[21:12] <Kotono> This is old and in some languague ANastasia's never seen before. Arabic? The words are totally insane.
[21:14] * Ana-chan shakes her head, replacing the book before heading back towards the front of the library. This has turned out to be a real bust.
[21:15] <Kotono> "Hm?" As you go out, you hear Alexandria's voice carrying.
[21:20] <Ana-chan> "I beg your pardon, Alexandria-san," Anastasia says quietly, pitching her voice just loud enough to carry in the quiet library. "I didn't mean to disturb you."
[21:21] <Kotono> "Are you looking for a subject in particular?" She sounds amused, slowly heard foosteps approaching. She comes into view, smiling and relaxed. "You'd be better off asking - a lot of the books in this area aren't in Japanese."
[21:22] <Ana-chan> "So I found," Anastasia replies, blushing a bit as Alexandria appears. "I think one of them was in Arabic. But I'm not looking for anything in particular - just something to pass the time."
[21:24] * Chizuru-san rubs her chin pensively, considering if the question is worth it. "We... well..."
[19:14] <Kotono> "Hm?" Lady Alexandria smiles, almost cute in the sunny, pleasant library.
[19:16] * Chizuru-san sighs and shakes her head resignedly. "I... don't know. It's tempting to just ask, but I doubt we have this kind of intimacy just yet."
[19:17] <Kotono> "In that case?" Alexandria goes a few bookshelves down, two books chosen. "I think both of these suit each of you." One is offered to each, sunny and nice.
[19:19] * Ana-chan accepts the book from Alexandria, although it can wait until she gets back to her room to read it. "Thank you, Alexandria-san," Ana says smoothly. "I'm sorry if we disturbed you."
[19:20] <Kotono> "No, no." Alexandria seems bright and happy, smiling the entire time. "REad when you can - knowledge..." Her voice drops, becoming lower, darker. "Is the most important thing and the most important gift."
[19:21] * Chizuru-san takes the book and smiles blankly, bowing to her employer. "I understand. Thank you, lady Alexandria..."
[19:22] * Ana-chan bows briefly, heading back for the staircase - she's not any happier about Alexandria now than she was BEFORE the trip to the library, and at least she's got something to look over while she heads off for a nap.
[19:23] <Kotono> As you turnto go, Alexandria's smile twists, darkens. She turns, the sunlight in the room dimming drastically. Did clouds just come out?
[19:25] * Chizuru-san blinks, a shiver racing down her spine for a second. But capitulate, Chizuru. It's... probably not any stranger than what they've seen so far... or is it? Before heading down, she turns her head slightly, to see anything possibly different. And, once again, shakes her head, finally leaving.
[19:25] <Kotono> roll 2d8
[19:25] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 14." [2d8=6, 8]
[19:25] <Kotono> As Chizuru turns, she catches a glimpse of Alexandria turning. Her eyes glisten green, green like deep, dark emeralds as she walks back into her library.
[19:28] * Chizuru-san blinks. That... was... unexpected. Chizuru rubs her forehead in vague disbelief, as if the eerie glow blinded her reason for a moment. A nervous biting of lips, a pensive expression, all the cliche semblances appear in a hurry. "Ana-chan..."
[19:28] <Ana-chan> "Hmm?" Ana says quietly, already having started down the stairs. "What is it, Chizuru-san?"
[19:29] * Chizuru-san leans close to Ana's ear and whispers. "I saw... an eerie, darkly glow from Alexandria's eyes as we left..."
[19:30] * Ana-chan nods almost imperceptibly, motioning to Chizuru to follow her as she heads back to her room.
[19:31] * Chizuru-san follows silently. Whatever musings had to come from that, they would be better elaborated in a quieter place.
[19:32] <Kotono> The trip back to Anastasia's room goes without incident. Karuma's room isnt' too far away as well, if she's desired to be disturbed.
[19:37] <Chizuru-san> "Okay. What we do now? We read the books or discuss?" Chizuru murmurs blankly once she's inside.
[19:39] * Ana-chan remains silent for a moment, climbing onto her bed and taking a seat cross-legged. "This isn't the first time I've noticed something... unusual, about Alexandria. Did you see any of what happened in the police station the other day with Musashi and the colonel?"
[19:42] <Chizuru-san> "I could barely see anything - Chisato's the one who got a priviledged wiewing of the incident. The best that I could make of it was that they were arguing and, suddenly, Tejada disappeared. All I can deduct is that we're involved in something strikingly supernatural... something that may well be flying way above our heads for significance."
[19:44] * Ana-chan still seems rather quiet for a moment. "There's a direct connection between Tajeda disappearing and Alexandria," she finally says. "Apparently Karuma didn't hear it, but I did - when Tajeda disappeared, there was a strange noise - almost like a piece of crystal ringing, a sort of chiming noise. I heard the same noise, or one almost exactly like it, in Alexandria's study."
[19:47] * Chizuru-san muses, sitting down on Ana-chan's bed and looking down for a moment. "So... maybe this kind of power could be tracked down to a certain type of artifact, maybe? It's a pretty jumpy deduction, but... the idea of objects impairing high-profile powers to their wielders is a lot less farfetched in the current state of this world that it would have been back when I was born, for starters."
[19:49] <Ana-chan> "I really couldn't say," Ana says, shaking her head. "I don't doubt that there's something supernatural about whatever it is, or that there's a connection between the two. Alexandria just makes me very... edgy, in general," the blonde says, shaking her head. "There's too much she's not telling us."
[19:51] * Chizuru-san nods. "On the other hand, if there's a church involved, this is most likely a battle of beliefs hanging. We're simply luxury mercenaries, which means that we're not supposed to align with their philosophy and whatnot. Just execute the missions and get paid for them. In this case, telling may be dangerous, particularly considering we have no ties other than the obvious coercion and the money involved."
[19:54] * Ana-chan snorts. "This goes a bit beyond beliefs, Chizuru-san," Anastasia says with a frown. "Whatever was done to Musashi, he was able to try to... I don't know what, but the air where I was standing exploded. I could care less if it's a clash of beliefs about who's right, but if there's some kind of mystic force involved that can harm me like that? I would really, really like to know more about it."
[19:57] <Chizuru-san> "In a fight of beliefs, the highest level of brute force is often applied. They obviously have a frightening arsenal of magic and control over their disposal, and they seem overtly willing to use it. Musashi himself is proof. If you're concerned first and foremost about your safety, it's fine. But there's a big picture we're missing here. Those things most certainly tie unto each other in some way, and finding out might not even be the battle."
[20:00] <Ana-chan> "Perhaps we do have stake in who wins, and perhaps you're right - we're nothing more than very specialized mercenaries, I really don't know which is true." Ana sighs. "But my primary concern, contract or no contract, regardless of my employer, is to keep my skin intact - and yesterday it almost wasn't. I'd like to know what he was doing and how, so I know how to avoid it in the future; I think Alexandria has an idea of what it was, but I really
[20:01] <Ana-chan> but I really doubt she's going to tell me."
[20:07] <Chizuru-san> "It's... probably best if we started reading right now. There's not much point in arguing in the dark as it is. Is it okay with you, Ana-chan?"
[20:09] * Ana-chan shrugs. "I suppose not, I just wish there was a way to get OUT of the dark." That elicits a wry smile. "Figuratively speaking, at least."
[20:11] * Chizuru-san pats Ana-chan, her mind suddenly springing to a state melancholy. "Yes... I am aware of the irony." With that, Chizuru picks up the book Alexandria gave her and opens it, slowly flipping its pages.
[20:12] <Kotono> It's about poisons and poison development. It starts off slow, but a lot of it looks to be quite advanced. A chemist's dark cookbook.
[20:13] * Ana-chan takes a moment to get a feel for the book she was handed, before opening it and starting to scan the words within.
[20:13] <Kotono> It's a book on Eastern meditation and mind over matter control. It's estoric, but it seems oddly geared to you. Way sto control the outer self with inner power.
[20:13] * Chizuru-san blinks as she advances, rapidly feasting the content of the book with her eyes. "This is... incredible..."
[20:15] * Ana-chan frowns a bit. "...meditation?" she says, a bit taken aback. "My mind is hardly my strong point, but..." she shakes her head, taking a bit more time to get more detail.
[20:16] <Kotono> The beginning is plain, but it begins to talk of advanced feats: Invisbility and amplifying the senses. Things...you can do?
[20:17] <Kotono> Chizuru gets the feeling she could learn a lot of she keeps reading. Whomever wrote this was surely a master of the craft.
[20:17] * Ana-chan raises an eyebrow, taking time to go over the section on invisibility - how exactly do they explain it working? Is it the same way she works, or some other method?
[20:18] * Chizuru-san ponders, intently scanning the pages with her eyes. This certainly is something she should keep handy when doing her experiments... and possibly more.
[20:19] <Makoto> and the the thought of said bubbly blonde makes Makoto's heart ache, and her eyes water a little. *I want to go HOME...* \
[20:19] <Makoto> OOC- Strike. SORRY.
[20:21] <Kotono> It's mostly the same way,but with some variants. There are also other things described to study...most interesting. Chizuru feels herself enthralled as she reads...
[20:24] * Chizuru-san completely forgets there's even a world surrounding her during her reading. Inbetween her self-musing and the contents of the book, she's pretty much set for a few days in pure reading.
[20:24] * Ana-chan settles back on the bed, taking her time to read - but not really resisting the temptation to drift off, either. It's been a long day, and she got almost no sleep last night.
-------
[19:49] <Kotono> So Karuma gets to work! The internet is her friend as she begins to research the Church of the Last Testament! OOC - Describe your searching means IC for log reasons and clarity.
[19:50] <Karuma-chan> Sitting cross-legged in front of her computer, Karuma idly sucks on a carton of apple juice as she starts off by searching on Wikipedia for this church to see what it has to say. It's always a good starting point, if nothing else.
[19:55] <Kotono> FouFounder: Kaguzachi Momoro. He has a picture, scarred, mutated with pustules and tumors, wearing a brown robe. Helooks absurd and creepy, but there's a distinct air of something nasty about him.
[19:55] <Kotono> Beliefs: The Church of the Last Testament believes humanity is dying and all should find peace in the radioactive wastes, to perish silently in them. Once you join, you donate money and eventually take a pilgrimage to the wastelands after 'intense meditation and spiritual work' to 'prepare oneself for oblivion'.
[19:55] <Kotono> Controversy: Most accurse the church of being horrible at best and a congame at worst. They're compared to Scientologists by detractors - well, not that the latter exists post nuclear war, but the memory lingers. Initiaties often pass over most or all of their worldly possessions to the Church.
[19:55] <Kotono> Chapels: They have chapels in most major cities, as well as a private holding in Tokyo.
[19:56] * Karuma-chan decides to click on the wikilink for Kaguzachi Momoro. Might as well find out where this freakshow came from, after all.
[19:58] <Kotono> He's 43(Some dispute over this due to lost records), has an unnanounced net worth, though he's noted as living in a quiet, nice residence that speaks of money. He's the victim of extreme radiation poisoning since WW3, but he's yet to perish from it. (Disputed as well.)
[19:58] <Kotono> There's a lot of noise about him - calling him a conman, a thief, a liar, a crook and so on. The government investigated him for tax fraud a few times, but nothing ever stuck.
[20:01] <Karuma-chan> So far so normal... Karuma sighs a bit in disappointment. Oh, well. Google will hopefully throw up some more wild theories. Opening another browser window, she proceeds to search under the church's name, keeping an eye out for either the church's official site or a site made by their detractors. Something to get the dirt from either side...
[20:01] <Kotono> roll 2d8
[20:01] <Kotono> roll 2d8
[20:01] <Reikobot> Kotono rolled : 2d8 --> [ 2d8=14 ]{14}
[20:03] <Kotono> You find a sight - www.downwithlasttestament.jp.org; it's a scathing commentary on their practices. IT calls them 'robbing murderers who indoctrinate and hypotise vulnerable souls, turning them into sheep that get fleeded and then sent to die agonizing deaths.' There are a few pictures and testamonials of families that lost track of members and only found them out to claim the mported, radiation scarred body for burial.
[20:04] <Karuma-chan> Hmm... nothing from any actual former members? Karuma trawls through this site and a few others to see if she can get some negative responses from the horse's mouth,
[20:04] <Karuma-chan> .
[20:06] <Kotono> There's a few mentionings, but it notes, most gloomily, 'that most former members only come back in a bodybag.'. There is a mention of a Sasuki Johnson, a US refugee after the war that escaped before the final trip. No address, but there is an email.
[20:09] <Karuma-chan> It's a start. Karuma decides to send Sasuki an email, portraying herself as an investigator looking into the cult (it's somewhat true!), and asking for an interview. That done, she has a look around for the Church's official website to get the other side of things.
[20:11] <Kotono> The official websight shows a blasted crater with the captions 'New York City', 'London', 'Berlin'. Below that, 'All is lost - come embrace The End.' A hyperlink, and past that is a glowing description of how you can embrace the void.
[20:11] * Karuma-chan clicks the link so she can find out how to save her soul!
[20:12] <Kotono> There isn't much beyond the Embracing the Oblivion line - but it comes with directions to the weekly meetings, including the one at the Tokyo chapter.
[20:14] * Karuma-chan takes a note of when the next meeting is. Surely they'd be happy to welcome an interested party such as herself, right? Just need to keep quiet about the fact that she's filthy rich. Oh, and wants to kill their leader. Yeah.
[20:16] <Kotono> As Karuma works, there is a knock on her door.
[20:17] <Karuma-chan> "Come in," Karuma calls, swivelling around on her chair to face the door.
[20:18] <Kotono> The door opens - Alexandria's servant bows once, standing outside. He carries a tray, coming inside. You can smell sweet rolls and rice crackers, as well as tea. Karuma also sees white pills esides those. "If you wish...I recomend taking these before bed tonight."
[20:18] <Karuma-chan> "Why's that?" Karuma asks, raising an eyebrow.
[20:19] <Kotono> To that, he only bows and places the tray next to Karuma. He glimpses up, brim of his cap pushed up. You can see his eyes, white and pupilless, blank. "Trust me. The Mistress means well, but she is still not fully aware of how others are impacted. Please."
[20:21] <Karuma-chan> "That only makes me more curious," Karuma returns dryly. "Pray tell, how might I be impacted by Miss Ourobouros'... kindness?"
[20:22] <Kotono> He pushes the brim of his cap down, face hidden again. The servant turns away quickly, "She is not all seeing, yet I fear that I tempt fate if I stay here longer. I wish not to return to the cold sleep of stone. Not while I have the dream of being HERE." Quickly he turns away, hurrying out.
[20:26] <Karuma-chan> "How odd..." Karuma murmurs as he leaves, slowly rising to her feet so she can go close the door, returning to her computer and nibbling on one of the rice crackers. Thinking things over, she resolves to stay up late tonight - they're probably sleeping pills, and she's curious enough to want to know what the fuss is about.
[20:27] <Kotono> OOC - Skip ahead, then?
[20:27] <Karuma-chan> OOC: sure
[20:27] <Kotono> OOC: Set up what you'll be doing tonight.
[20:30] <Karuma-chan> As night falls, Karuma keeps herself up by posting on 2channel... actually, that's an idea. Sure, Anonymous acts patently retarded, but can sometimes be surprising... besides, no real harm in asking. Therefore she sticks up a "Hay guys, what's this Church of the Last Testament about?" post up on one of the boards to see what response it elicits.
[20:31] <Kotono> roll 2d8 (Oh come on, 2chan if nothing else deserves randomised responses!)
[20:31] <Reikobot> Kotono rolled : 2d8 (Oh come on, 2chan if nothing else deserves randomised responses!) --> [ 2d8=10 ]{10}
[20:31] <Kotono> The genearl concensus is crooks but a few trolls spam the topic with all caps of them being 'GOD'.
[20:32] <Karuma-chan> About what she'd expected. Oh, well. Karuma amuses herself by getting into random arguments and practicing her ASCI art skills as the night wears on...
[20:33] <Kotono> OOC - Does Karuma possess enhanced noticing skills or any sort or enhanced hearing?
[20:34] <Karuma-chan> OOC: She has heightened awareness
[20:34] <Kotono> OOC - Mmm. Make a ...mmm, body with the bonuses for that applying.
[20:34] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 target 10
[20:34] <Reikobot> Karuma-chan rolled : 2d8 target 10 --> [ 2d8=4 ]{4}
[20:36] <Kotono> As Karuma starts to doze, perhaps past midnight, she is awoken! Her ears prick up as she hears it. A strange sound that carries throughout the house, a crystalline tinkling. A shimmering, a sound that's hard to fully explain.
[20:38] <Karuma-chan> Doze? It's not even midnight! That guy must've put something in those crackers! Getting up from her computer, Karuma steps out of her room and looks around, trying to discern the direction of the sound.
[20:39] <Kotono> It's passing, but you get the feeling it's coming from...below?
[20:40] * Karuma-chan goes for a walk, heading in the general direction it seemed to be coming from.
[20:41] <Kotono> First floor, perhaps? But the first floor is quiet when you walk here, quiet and without incident at all. It's a peaceful night.
[20:42] * Karuma-chan ponders a moment, before she starts in the direction of Alexandria's kickass subterranean world domination planning room. The one with the huge table and maps and demon statues and model of the solar system.
[20:43] <Kotono> So Karuma coems to it in the back. But the door to it is closed as always, - no, check that. The door opens as Karum approaches, Alexandria striding out. Her eyes glisten green as she stretches, smiling. She holds a manila folder in her hand, barely seeming to notice Karuma as she goes to carefully close the door behind her.
[20:45] <Karuma-chan> "Good evening, Miss Alexandria Ourobouros," Karuma smirks as she approaches. "Having a busy evening?" Oddly, the thought of Alexandria labouring late at night to photocopy folders full of information on people she wants them to kill strikes an amusing chord.
[20:47] <Kotono> Once the door is closed Alexandria turns, "Oh yes, very, Miss Karuma." She sounds almost giddy, darkly revelling. Strangely, Karuma's stomach suddely decides to do a 180 six times in a row, her flesh chilling.  "More informatino on those little annoying, arrogant cultists."
[20:49] <Karuma-chan> Karuma's cheeks briefly bulge out, feeling bile bubbling up in her stomach... with an effort, she represses it, smoothing over her features. "Really, now? I've turned up a small lead or two, but surely nothing compared to the resources you must have at your disposal," she replies modestly.
[20:51] <Kotono> "I'll finish it in the 'morrow. Good, you'll just alln eed to go and do what needs to be done then. Mmm, then back to..." Giddy with sickening bliss, her eyes green like shadow forged emeralds. "Isn't it a beautiful night, Karuma? Come with me, we'll eat a deadly, venomous banquet together!"
[20:53] <Karuma-chan> "I do so hope that's merely a figure of speech, Miss Ourobouros," Karuma returns dryly, narrowing her own slate-grey eyes. "Deadly venoms disagree with my palate."
[20:54] <Kotono> Karuma does get to see Alexandria draw herself in, glee fading away to a tight, nasty smile. "...aaah. Apologies. I had thought you were Chizuru in my sleepiness. Forgive me."
[20:56] <Karuma-chan> "Sadly we can't all be blessed with such refined tastes as you two," Karuma laments. "No matter, if you are sleepy I shall leave you to your rest," she sketches a bow to the blonde woman, before taking her leave.
[20:56] <Kotono> OOC - Body check with heightened awareness factored in again.
[20:56] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 target 10
[20:56] <Reikobot> Karuma-chan rolled : 2d8 target 10 --> [ 2d8=11 ]{11}
[20:58] <Kotono> "Rest well...oh. I haven't seen Chisato lately...I do hope she's preparing well. Have you heard from her?" Alexandria inquires, heading along as well.
[20:59] <Karuma-chan> "Not since you told us about the church - I've been keeping to myself since then, however," Karuma admits. "Only just now decided to stretch my legs after spending all day in front of my computer."
[21:00] <Kotono> "Mmm, she seems more distant then the other three. I wonder..." Alexandria muses aloud, eyes flashing green again. "Miss Karuma, if you would...?"
[21:01] <Karuma-chan> "Yes?" Karuma pauses, turning to face her employer fully.
[21:02] <Kotono> "What do you think of her?" she presses, as you pass towards the front, back to the twisted crystalline stairs.
[21:05] * Karuma-chan folds her arms below her chest, wondering just what to say, here. "She knows her job, and does it well," she admits.
[21:05] <Karuma-chan> "Her reaction to the bonus scheme for murdering Mr Musashi, however... In principal I agree, it causes friction the group could do without, and lends the impression of you playing us against one another," she regards Alexandria with steely eyes as she goes on, "However, making threats - even if just as bait to have you change your methods - strikes me as unprofessional."
[21:08] <Kotono> "Mmm. She is aggressive," Alexandria muses as you go to the stairs, slowly ascending.  She holds her hands behind her back, folder jutting out. "No matter, she seems effective as of now, don't you agree?"
[21:10] <Karuma-chan> "I can't dispute her skills," Karuma agrees, walking side by side with Alexandria. "I may not favour her methods for myself, but I acknowledge that they do fill a desired niche in our business."
[21:10] <Kotono> "Mmm. The Left Hand of God...you're not a fool, either." To this Alexandria smiles, better and energised. "Even if you demand the most money."
[21:12] <Karuma-chan> "As the old saying goes," Karuma wears a predatory smirk of her own, "You get what you pay for."
[21:13] <Kotono> "Except for dear Anastasia. The poor girl has no business sense. She'd do good to learn from you...or from Chisato or Chizuru." She stops at the second floor, starting to idly walk down a hall.
[21:15] <Karuma-chan> "I suppose she could be considered a bargain. Still, she's a bright girl - I've no doubt she'll figure out her worth in due time." Bowing again as Alexandria departs, "As always, it has been a pleasure - Goodnight, Miss Ourobouros," she offers, before heading to her own room.
[21:16] <Kotono> "Rest well, Left Hand of God," Alexandria murmurs, heading up and away a well, going back to the stairs.
--------
<Chisato> Starting from a cafe's wireless connection, Chisato begins simple - trying to locate an official website of the cult via google and wikipedia.
<Kotono> This isn't hard at all. There's a scary frontp age with a crater and some hype on it. This is found easily enough.
<Chisato> From there, life gets interesting. Chisato starts resolving IP addresses and ports, trying to find a route by which she can get the deepest into whatever server has this on it.
<Kotono> OOC - Computers/hacking check here, I think. I don't know enough about this to do much besides abstract it, so let's keep it simple.
<Chisato> roll 2d8 target 14
* Hatbot --> "Chisato rolls 2d8 target 14 and gets 7." [2d8=6, 1]
<Kotono> This goes well, getting closer to inside. There's some security - a lot of it, but it's like a ton of layers of cloth, rather than a solid bar of steel. Like someone just piled on whatever they could vs an intelligent defense.
* Chisato tries to not yawn, fingers blurring as they cut their way through the system, slowly moving deeper and deeper to find out where this is, and running a location check on the IPs- is this a professional server they're sharing content on, or a private one with bandwidth hosting?
<Kotono> It's private - layer after layer of poorly coordinated security. The IP resolves to somewhere in Tokyo on a casual glance. The meat of the server can probably be reached with another good push.
* Chisato keeps going, making sure her active scanning and personally programmed security software is running before she runs really deep, and just continuing in from there.
<Kotono> OOC - Go ahead and make another check with a 1 point mod against you.
<Chisato> roll 2d8 target 14 (15-1)
* Hatbot --> "Chisato rolls 2d8 target 14 (15-1) and gets 6." [2d8=3, 3]
<Kotono> Ker-rack! Inside is a heavy database. Most of it's open - you can see a lot of records and some internal correspondance, as well as a partitioned off sector. That's surrounded by some heavy grade protections, cleary done by a more comptent hand.
<Chisato> She clearly needs to revisit this place from home. But for now, Chisato archives the correspondance and records, then hunting down the internal server log file to delete her activity. They'd have to go analyzing hosting records to see anything.
<Kotono> This goes welle nough now that Chisato's inside. Done and done.
<Chisato> Chisato backs out, closing all the doors behind her, and then gets to searching over these correspondences and internal records. What the hell's in them?
<Kotono> OOC - Searching for anything in particular?
<Chisato> OOC - Refferences to the leader? But overall abusing my immense genius to sift.
<Kotono> A lot of it is semi innocent stuff. A pile of boring supply invoices, organizational and promotinoal email schemas, that sort of thing. Past all the mundane there's a few emails that mention the leader - always in glowing, radiant terms. No one too high up - this doesn't look to be anything too sensitive. There are a few things, however...
<Kotono> 1. On one invoice you note the requisition of 'security systems for chapterhouses.' The company name, AG Funderhouse, is a well known security company.
<Kotono> 2. There are mentions of 'Plane trips to the promised lands'. Always mentioned obliquely, but quite pointed inmeaning.
<Chisato> Chisato runs a search and check on AG Funderhouse to find out what kind of 'security systems' they specialize in. This could mean cameras, it could mean SAMs.
<Kotono> 'Enterprise level intergral security' is the official line. Looks like solid industrial or private means.
* Chisato raises an eyebrow, trying to work deeper into their sight, maybe look into purchasing to determine what exactly they supply.
<Chisato> *site
<Kotono> This is easy, since they wanna make sales, after all. The basics describe 'A grid of fully integrated and synergistic optical cameras, laser technology, defenses, alarms' and so forth. It doesn't get into truly brass tacks, instead having numbers and emails to schedule an appointment. It looks legit enough on the surface.
<Chisato> Well at least she knows what she's getting into.  So Chisato goes back to those 'plane trips', looking for any possible further details.
<Kotono> IT mentions a private plane outside of Tokyo, a private airfield with flights into China. Looks standard enough, and it touched on various things - it's illegal/radiation control and lack thereof for the plane, ect ect ect.
* Chisato raises an eyebrow. That should be easy to keep track of when push comes to shove... She taps her lips, looking for the two in cross-refference: any mention of the leader flying on this plane?
<Kotono> None that you see.
* Chisato hmphs, but leaves it there for the moment. She'll need to get home to really do this, or get into the deeper part of that server. Well, there's something useful at least. So she logs it, sending off phone messages to ask the others to her house for a display of what she'll have, and logging off. She'll get back to work when she gets home.
<Kotono> OOC - you wanna get everyone together when?
<Chisato> OOC - Whenever~. Tomorrow's good! We can do lunch.
<Kotono> OOC - Gonna do your research before that, I assume?
<Chisato> OOC - Guess so.
<Kotono> OOC - Go ahead and go on/describe your effortstaru!
<Chisato> Once home, Chisato transforms and sits in her workshop, using her various computers and her personal supercomputer to firstly spoof her IP before heading back in. Somewhere in the Brazil would be good.
<Kotono> This is done without difficulty, and the outer security isn't hard to breech again.
<Chisato> Cracking her knuckles for posterity's sake, and setting ALL of her security software into place, she takes a shot at that cordoned off partition, trying to crack in.
<Kotono> OOC - Check with a 4 point penalty.
<Chisato> roll 2d8 target 13
* Hatbot --> "Chisato rolls 2d8 target 13 and gets 8." [2d8=3, 5]
<Kotono> Woof. It's a computer bunker, with a well integrated layer of protection followed by redundant, well organized secondary barriers. The data's encrypted and difficult to begin with, and parts of it are under sub protections. There's a ton of it, though.  You really need to crack the encryption to do a lot or understand it, though.
<Kotono> This is clearly done by a different hand than whomever did the front defenses, competence versus spastic splattering of catchy protections.
* Chisato hmmms, pulling the information down onto one of her own computers, encrypted, before disconnecting that computer from the network.
<Kotono> roll 2d8
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 7." [2d8=3, 4]
<Kotono> OOC - Go ahead and make a second check.
<Kotono> OOC - No mod this time.
<Chisato> roll 2d8 target 17
* Hatbot --> "Chisato rolls 2d8 target 17 and gets 7." [2d8=6, 1]
<Kotono> About three fourths of the way through your protections begin to note counter measures beginning!
* Chisato just smirks, throwing a few roadblocks, offensive firewalls, and all sorts of fun doodads into the countermeasure's face, doing her best to stop it cold or even send it reeling or shutting down while she copies.
<Kotono> OOC - Opposing skill checks here, I think.
<Kotono> roll 2d8
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 9." [2d8=7, 2]
* Hatbot --> "Chisato rolls 2d8 target 17 and gets 4." [2d8=1, 3]
<Kotono> Chisato does good work, keeping the counterprobes away as she finishes. She gets her copy done, able to log off safely if she wishes!
* Chisato goes and trashes the log files first, or rather, deletes her presence, trashng leaves evidence. Then she connects a few viruses from other websites, the usual porn/spam/pop up crap just to annoy, and backs out along her Brazilian IP spoof line.
<Kotono> This also goes well and without incident, and like that, Chisato is out!
* Chisato disconnects the house from the network so she can reset her modem and thus her IP, just in case they are that talented, and then gets to work on decrypting the files she pulled down.
<Kotono> Ugh. It's naturally a very well designed cryptograph. This'll take time and skill to crack short of luck. OOC - What's the exact thrust of your skills, Chisato
<Kotono> ?
<Chisato> OOC - Computers (Security).
<Kotono> OOC - Okay, I figure that'll at least run into encryption some. Go ahead and make a check here, 6 point mod. Yeah, that's a big mod, but you're clearly not likely tor ip open good encryption in ten seconds.
<Chisato> roll 2d8 target 11
* Hatbot --> "Chisato rolls 2d8 target 11 and gets 12." [2d8=6, 6]
<Kotono> It's a mess. Chisato won't know for a bit, her programs having to run. At worst she can brute strength it, but it's still looking to be a goodly difficult crack. Oh well.
* Chisato sets her computers to run her cracking programs, and she can try again in the morning. Ah well.
<Kotono> roll 2d8
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 3." [2d8=1, 2]

Ebiris

[18:23] <Kotono> Lunch! The late days of November are cool and cloudy as three women gather. A nice little corner bistro is private and forgettable, thick and mostly imitation European style spices and flavors in the air. Italy, Germany, France, all shown in pictures, pictures of famous places now smouldering, glass coated ruins. It's simple to get a table in the back, only Chizuru begging off, to be late or to miss things altogether pending something that ca
[18:23] <Kotono> roll 2d8
[18:23] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 12." [2d8=7, 5]
[18:24] <Kotono> pending something that came up.
[18:31] * Chisato smiles warmly to her fellow assassins, a laptop near her feet and resting on its case. She doesn't seem terribly concerned, a little casual, maybe a tyouch miffed at the time it was taking to break that encryption, but little else was on her mind, she brushes off the light blue suitcoat and skirt she wears for the occasion, humming. "How've your investigations been going?" she asks curiously, glancing from Karuma to Anastasia.
[18:32] <Karuma-chan> "I've turned up one possible lead - waiting on them getting back to me," Karuma replies offhandedly. "Miss Ourobouros also mentioned finding out some more last night, but I haven't had a chance to speak to her today, yet."
[18:33] * Ana-chan shakes her head. "Nothing much to report here," the blind blonde replies. "With the best places to research all being on computer, there's not much I can really do to help with this part of things."
[18:36] <Chisato> "Mmm," Chisato agrees, smiling slightly still. "I took a wandering into their private server yesterday, pulled down most of their official records and some emails. Nothing blaringly interesting, other than the fact they make flights into what used to be China on a private plane without radiation protection or decontamination," she snorts.
[18:36] <Chisato> "We'd have to get either a satellite or do some wide ranging reconaissance of local airfields to figure out where it is, but it should only take a geiger counter to figure it out..." she muses, offering another shrug. "And there's another part of their server that's encrypted. I ripped the whole thing off and I'm waiting for my computers to crack it open...which should be another day or so."
[18:38] <Karuma-chan> "Yes, I read about those trips they take into the wastes - after donating all their wordly goods to the church, naturally. People don't tend to return from those excursions," Karuma notes languidly. Stupid sheep like that deserve to die, really.
[18:40] * Ana-chan simply shakes her head, not offering any comment.
[18:42] <Chisato> "Mmmm," Chisato hums quietly, tapping her cheek. "So we...really don't have a whole lot, do we?" she asks curiously, a little taken aback seeming. "Any further plans for information gathering as of yet?"
[18:44] <Ana-chan> "Not much I can do unless or until we actually decide to go and see their operation," Ana replies, shrugging a bit. "I certainly wouldn't mind taking a very quiet look around there, though."
[18:44] <Karuma-chan> "As I said, I'm waiting on someone getting back to me," Karuma shrugs. "Once I've spoken to them, I'll do some more personal investigation - or I may have to do that anyway if I don't get a reply," she frowns a little, there. What kind of person wouldn't have checked their email by now?
[18:49] * Chisato nods, checking her laptop and sighing softly. "How've things been at the mansion? Unrelated," Chisato asks curiously, smiling easily and relaxing.
[18:51] <Ana-chan> "Not really much going on for me," Ana replies. "I slept poorly a couple of nights ago, but nothing too unusual outside of that. Alexandria gave me a rather interesting book yesterday, though."
[18:51] <Karuma-chan> "Our employer and her servant continue to drop ominous hints," Karuma adds, idly buffing her fingernails on her shirt. "It's a most strange place, by any standard."
[18:56] * Chisato makes a slight shiver gesture, grimacing slightly. "That butler makes me glad I'm not sleeping in the same building, to be honest," she murmurs. "Maybe I'm just unfriendly to a constant employer."
[18:58] <Karuma-chan> "He's very unsettling, yes," Karuma nods. "But no more so than Miss Ourobouros, on occassion..."
[19:03] <Ana-chan> "I've never seen anyone that can move as quietly as the servant," Ana adds, shaking her head. "He ALMOST managed to sneak up on me the other night, and I can tell you that I've never had anyone manage to do that for a very long time."
[19:04] * Karuma-chan frowns a bit - there's no almost at all where she's concerned, which doesn't reassure her in case he ever decides to cause her harm. "It's clear both of them are as... talented, in their fields as we are," she allows.
[19:07] <Ana-chan> "I want to know just how much they're keeping from us," Ana says, shaking her head. "I'm quite sure she knows something about what was done to Musashi - and about that colonel. And with that incantation or whatever it was that Musashi used, I would definitely like to know a lot more about whatever it was."
[19:09] <Chisato> "You make me happier that I sleep at home by the minute..." she snorts, Chisato nodding. "I think she's been handing out her token grain of truth on that - she keeps talking about how the wars tore the planet up and brought things like that...and now look at our latest assignment."
[19:10] <Karuma-chan> "She seems to have far more interest in this than our previous assignments as well," Karuma provides. "Whenever this church comes up, she seems positively hateful. None of our previous jobs have elicited that sort of reaction."
[19:16] * Chisato nods, tapping her lips. "And even our friends the Yakuza had supernatural capabilities...almost like what you described Musashi's power to be, only less overt in some cases...or relatively more similar like meathead's chi blast."
[19:17] <Karuma-chan> "I would say a fiery dragon's head tearing up the pavement is more overt than what Mr Musashi pulled off," Karuma chimes in, keeping her voice down. "Though since neither connected with their targets, who is to say which would have been more devastating?"
[19:18] <Ana-chan> "I'm quite satisfied with never knowing, as it seems that either would have been rather... painful." Ana murmurs. "Let the two of them sort it out wherever they are now."
[19:22] <Chisato> "Agreed," Chisato snorts, huming softly. "For now I suppose it just remains that we should keep our eyes open on this..."
[19:24] <Kotono> So the lunch goes on, assassins planning. On going back home that afternoon, Karuma finds that she has a new email waiting. OOC - So that I'm sure I'm clear, what was the exact things you asked in your email, Karuma?
[19:24] <Karuma-chan> OOC: I'd asked the person who's name I'd forgotten if he/she was amenable to a meeting, implying I was investigating the church.
[19:26] <Kotono> After sitting down and deleting a few emails promising 'Bigger manhood' and 'Hot Asain babes', Karuma gets to the heart of the matter. A reply email. 'Why? How do I know you're not working for them? Why do you need to see me face to face?'
[19:28] <Karuma-chan> Oh, a person after her own heart! If only she had such a choice when starting this job... Taking a moment to create a new ID on one of the ubiquitous messenger services on the internet, she sends an email back offering to conduct the interview online.
[19:29] <Kotono> OOC - Like AIM or IRC or whatever?
[19:31] <Karuma-chan> OOC: Yeah, whatever the 2026 equivalent to the latter. Since I doubt AOL exists anymore.
[19:32] <Kotono> JOC - Japan Online Chat - is the medium chosen. It takes a half hour before the screen name Sephiroth45YZA sends a "Hello, are you there?"
[19:34] <Karuma-chan> Sadly the significance of Sephiroth is long lost on Karuma, not being a fan of 30 year old video games. "Hello, thank you for talking to me." Karuma types back, idly firing up another program to track this person's IP and see if she can find their physical location. Couldn't hurt, right?
[19:34] <Kotono> OOC - Computers check.
[19:35] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 target 16 (17 if this counts as intrusion/security)
[19:35] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 target 16 (17 if this counts as intrusion/security) and gets 8." [2d8=3, 5]
[19:36] <Kotono> "What is it? Get on with it." As he types back, you see it's a bland residence in Sydney, Australia. Looks like a proxy.
[19:38] <Karuma-chan> "Right to the point? I can respect that," Karuma types in. "I want to know about the Church of the Last Testament - what's involved in joining, and how you got yourself out of it."
[19:38] <Karuma-chan> "And why, for that matter," she adds.
[19:40] <Kotono> "Go to them and they'll brainwash you. Oh, it starts easy, chats and nice people, then it begins. All the talking, the submersion, the pressure, everything, you start going along with it..." A pause her,e a hard break and enter. "Soon you won't know what was is up and what way is down."
[19:41] <Karuma-chan> "So what made you change your mind? What did you see there?"
[19:42] <Kotono> "Heh, I couldn't resist going to see the plane once so I got to help them. ...the images...they brought some of the bodies back. Have you ever seen advanced radiation poisoning?"
[19:42] <Kotono> "The leader looks that way, but...seeing it...I knew one of the people, and..."
[19:43] <Karuma-chan> "Tell me about the leader," Karuma presses, not caring that much about the radiation poisoning. It's a sensible reason to leave, surely, but it doesn't tell her anything new.
[19:47] <Kotono> There is a looooooooong pause here, long and deep. About a minue passes before you can see the small 'Sephiroth45YZA is typing...'
[19:48] * Karuma-chan takes the time to snack on some melon bread while she waits.
[19:49] <Kotono> "Kaguzachi Momoro...silver tongue. Charming. Charisma - he's ugly but...but...he could talk down a snake from a tree. He has it. He makes you believe. He makes you rmind feel strange."
[19:50] <Karuma-chan> "So you met him in person?" Karuma prods, wondering if simple charisma is all that's behind this. Given Magnum Deus' interest, it's far more likely he has a way to mentally influence people.
[19:52] <Kotono> "Twice - the first time...I gave away my money, my parent's inheritance, all of it. The second time is when I managed to get away..I..." There's another long pause. "I got lucky. I think most people don't get out even if they want to. I would've gone back to him, but he slipped  and fell. It...I could think again and I just ran."
[19:53] <Karuma-chan> "So you had trouble thinking around him?" Karuma asks, pondering this over. Could be troublesome...
[19:55] <Kotono> "Couldn't think right." It's a short answer, then there is a long pause before he times out, connection dropping.
[19:57] * Karuma-chan frowns. Closing off the JOC program, she sends another email to her contact, asking if everything's okay and if they could talk again some time. That's about all she can do from this angle, for now.
--------
[20:06] <Kotono> It's late evening when the computer finishes it's work. It's done! Most of it, that is. A few bits are too scrambled too decode entirely, but the errors and data losses are relatively minor.
[20:07] * Chisato starts her sifting, just digging through the whole mess and looking for anything that catches her eyes.
[20:09] <Kotono> roll 2d8
[20:09] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 15." [2d8=8, 7]
[20:09] <Kotono> The info's a mess, so it takes a few hours.  Chisato has to resist a yawn by the end, but the useful information is:
[20:10] <Kotono> 1. Slightly dated  floorplans of various chapterhouses. Notably, all have well designed and very large basements, but they aren't labelled at all.
[20:17] <Kotono> 2. Some internal emails. It frankly mentions 'trimming the herd' and a brag that Momoro has '100 billion yen' hidden away somewhere.
[20:22] <Kotono> 3. Mentions of searching for something - a bit of dogma here. 'A glittering gem deep in the wastelands'. That's all the big stuff, the majority of it turns out to be nothing that capivating overall.
[20:24] * Chisato sighs, frowning darkly. Jack all use, here. She sets aside the floorplans for her more infiltrated minded friends, humming. The gem could be any number of things, from a nuclear warhead to the Hope diamond. The 100 billion yten of course has its own interests, and for that reason, Chisato digs for any and all information she can locate on that, as well as the gem. As an afterthought, she tosses that phrase about the gem into Google.
[20:31] <Kotono> The phrase about the gem doesn't turn up anything interesting beyond a few grazing references to the Church of the LAst Testament. There's somes peculation on the riches of the Church, but nothing too solid there either.
[20:31] <Kotono> IT is known that countless amounts of rarities and valuables are presumably lost in the nuclear wasteland, of course.
[20:35] * Chisato just sighs, lacking much more information to work with here. So she packages up the floorplans, arranging to drop them off with Karuma and the others.
--------
[11:21] <@Kotono> The day passes slowly. As times approach the dinner hour, Anastasia quietly goes to the kitchens. In there is Alexandria's servant, making little sandwiches and a strangely fragrant, pungent tea. It makes your eyes water and your head spin. He works silently,  the first time youv'e seen either for a little while.
[11:22] * @Ana-chan blinks fiercely - even if her eyes can't see, that stuff does sting them. "Am I interrupting anything?" she says after a few moments, hoping that she can at least get to the refrigerator for something to eat.
[11:24] <@Kotono> The smell is just -amazing-. It's herbal and poignant, nothing like tea Anastasia's smelled before. Just beneath that you can smell turkey and beef. "No." He doesn't even look up, taking the tea kettle and putting it on his tray. "...don't drink the tea."
[11:25] <@Ana-chan> "I wasn't planning on it," the Russian murmurs. "What IS that stuff, anyway?"
[11:27] <@Kotono> "Mos Tea. Poisonous to you." So he continues to to make the sandwiches, casually making four of them and then placing the entire thing on a shiny silver tray.
[11:29] <@Ana-chan> "Why make it then, if it's poisonous?" Ana replies, frowning a bit as she retrieves an orange from a bowl on the counter.
[11:29] <@Kotono> "The Mistress desires it." The answer is plain as he lifts the tray up, head bowed.
[11:30] <@Ana-chan> "I see," Ana replies, pausing before she starts to peel the orange. Poisonous tea... well, it fits their employer, in a perverse sort of way.
[11:31] <@Kotono> As he goes, the servant speaks further. "There will be pills at your bedside tonight. Please take them."
[11:33] <@Ana-chan> "Mmm," Ana replies, not really giving a clear answer either way. Maybe another walk this evening would be a good idea, although that servant is awfully quiet... hmm.
[11:33] <@Kotono> WIth that he heads out, leaving Anastasia behind in the kitchen.
[11:36] * @Ana-chan tosses the orange up into the air and catches it, heading up to her room as she peels the fruit and eats it. While she's curious, she's still debating how she wants to try this - while she's far less detectable while invisible, any discovery would be FAR more difficult to explain as well.
[11:37] <@Kotono> By her bed is a tray with water and a few pills on it. Besides that, her bedroom is unremarkable.
[11:39] * @Ana-chan decides to take the less sure, but more easily explained method of remaining quite mundane about her surveillance. Since she's not sure what to expect - or when - she heads down to the living room with her book, figuring that if Alexandria comes down again she'll hear the woman go through at least.
[11:40] <@Kotono> It's past 8 PM when Anastasia hears something. Going down the hall, she can hear steady footsteps.
[11:41] * @Ana-chan doesn't get up yet, although she does angle her head slightly to get a better fix on the footsteps - and a better idea of who it is, too. Alexandria's not particularly quiet, but then neither is Karuma, either.
[11:43] <@Kotono> OOC - I'll call that a mind check here, I reckon.
[11:43] <@Kotono> OOC - It's not hard so 2 point mod in your favor.
[11:44] <@Ana-chan> roll 2d8 for mind, target 8
[11:44] * +Hatbot --> "Ana-chan rolls 2d8 for mind, target 8 and gets 4." [2d8=3, 1]
[11:44] <@Kotono> Oh, it's Alexandria. It's quite easy to tell - her footsteps are strangely heavy despite her small size.
[11:45] * @Ana-chan carefully closes the book, letting the older woman put some distance between them - and taking a VERY careful moment to listen for the servant - before rising to follow.
[11:45] <@Kotono> She's heading to the stairway this time, up the stairs. Her pace is steady, no one else's footsteps nearby at all.
[11:48] * @Ana-chan lets Alexandria make it up to the top of the stairs before following - she should be able to follow quietly and quickly enough, and if Ms. Ouroburos spotted her down here it's best for her not to be seen following - immediately, anyway.
[11:50] <@Kotono> roll 2d8
[11:50] * +Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 12." [2d8=4, 8]
[11:50] <@Kotono> Alexandria goes up to the library without incident, no sign that she's topping or heard you.
[11:51] * @Ana-chan follows up to the library, thankful not for the first time that she's able to sense light - and can thus stay well away from it at need.
[11:52] <@Kotono> It's relatively light in the library as you arrive. You can hear Alexandria going to the back, making good time as she passes onward and deeper in.
[11:53] * @Ana-chan slips along the back shelves, trying to keep them between herself and Alexandria as much as possible.
[11:54] <@Kotono> This goes well enough, but as you do, you begin to smell that pungent, amazing tea again. It makes your nose wrinkle up.
[11:55] * @Ana-chan twitches her nose - at least that tea should mask the smell of anything around her - she did wash her hands after eating the orange, but the scent still lingers a bit.
[11:55] <@Kotono> You're about a shelf or so back, behind one. Alexandria is in a little cul de sac in a far corner of the library - you can hear her getting a book down and settling in. The turning of pages, the sound of a drink being sipped.
[11:57] * @Ana-chan waits where she is, quite close enough to hear and - for the moment at least - concealed by the shelves. Closing her eyes, she keeps her breathing and motion as silent as she can, although she remains ready to move at a moment's notice if the need arises.
[11:58] <@Kotono> roll 2d8
[11:58] * +Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 8." [2d8=6, 2]
[11:59] <@Kotono> About a half hour of this passes. Alexandria sips her toxic tea, turns her pages. This is finally stopped by a loud yawn, Alexandria making a noise of sleepiness. "Mmm, about time..." she murmurs aloud, then softly, says something in a languague Anastasia cannot understand.
[11:59] * @Ana-chan does her best to remember the sound, at least - even if she doesn't understand it, someone else might if she can repeat it later.
[12:01] <@Kotono> After that she chuckles, speaking again in that tongue you don't understand. After that she yawns a second time, going back to her book.
[12:03] * @Ana-chan raises an eyebrow at that, slowly settling down to a seated position while she waits - tired legs lead to unexpected shifts sometimes, and that means noise.
[12:06] <@Kotono> Another twenty minutes or so pass by. Finall you hear Alexandria get up, her book placed down...
[12:06] <@Kotono> roll 2d8
[12:06] * +Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 5." [2d8=3, 2]
[12:07] * @Ana-chan rises carefully, still doing her best to remain silent.
[12:14] <@Kotono> OOC - Mmm. Make a body check with a six point bonus, Ana.
[12:15] <@Kotono> OOC - There's only a very remote chance of something bad happenign, but it feels understanble to check under the dramatic circumstances.
[12:15] <@Ana-chan> roll 2d8 for body, target 11
[12:15] * +Hatbot --> "Ana-chan rolls 2d8 for body, target 11 and gets 10." [2d8=6, 4]
[12:18] <@Kotono> You can hear Alexandria right herself,s tretching out all the way with a soft pop of her back. Then you hear it - the rustle of soundless crystal, the gleaming in the night.
[12:18] * @Ana-chan narrows her eyes, straining her ears - whatever it is, it's there again.
[12:20] <@Kotono> roll 2d8
[12:20] * +Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 14." [2d8=8, 6]
[12:21] <@Kotono> The sound spreads. It's a soft intake, Anastasia feeling warm light splash all over your body! OOC - Soul check.
[12:21] <@Ana-chan> roll 2d8 target 7
[12:21] * +Hatbot --> "Ana-chan rolls 2d8 target 7 and gets 6." [2d8=4, 2]
[12:26] <@Kotono> The light makes Anastasia feel...funny, off, strange, but nothing else happens. It's quite intense for a few moments, before fading into nothing. "Mmm..." Alexandria murmurs, sitting back down on the chair.
[12:27] * @Ana-chan tenses, softly placing one hand against the nearest shelf to steady herself. 'What in the name of God WAS that?' she thinks to herself. 'And what did it just do?'
[12:29] <@Kotono> roll 2d8
[12:29] * +Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 10." [2d8=4, 6]
[12:29] <@Kotono> "...Anastasia," Alexandria says, quite calm as she picks up her book.
[12:31] * @Ana-chan doesn't move a muscle - she KNOWS she hasn't made a sound since she came in.
[12:31] <@Kotono> There's a long pause, a few moments of flawless tension. You hear Alexandria pick up her tea glass, drinking from it...
[12:34] * @Ana-chan remains still, hardly daring to breathe. Hopefully Alexandria will turn her attention back to whatever it is she was doing in a moment and give her a chance to slip away. She mentally curses herself in Russian - she must have slipped up somewhere to even rouse the woman's suspicions in the first place.
[12:35] <@Kotono> "It's a beautiful night," Alexandria switches to Japanese again, standing up. You can hear her walking, going towards the nearest window.
[12:36] * @Ana-chan moves as the other blonde does, keeping the shelf between the two of them still.
[12:38] <@Kotono> Alexandria stops there, looking out. You can hear her voice - it's sharp and strong, like a dagger into your heart. "Such a beautiful night.  Do you think the night has changed in the past twenty years, Anastasia?"
[12:41] * @Ana-chan tenses further... and then sags. "How would I know, Ms. Alexandria?" the young woman replies, a slight tone of defeat in her voice. "I have never seen it, and I certainly have no memories of it from twenty years ago."
[12:42] <@Kotono> "I'll tell you. The night has never changed - ever. The same black depths, the same stars farther away than can be imagined. Science attempts to put numbers, but the distances are grander than the human mind can ever truly comprehend. Such distance dwarves a tiny human being. Everything about the night is dark mystery. A perfect time for an assassin."
[12:45] <@Ana-chan> "Nnn." Anastasia replies, stepping away from the shelf. "It certainly holds more opportunity than the day does, this is true."
[12:47] <@Kotono> "How much opportunity do you crave, Anastasia?" So the other A girl asks, looking upward into the night sky. "Do you just crave to search out what is unknown to you?"
[18:51] * Ana-chan remains silent for a moment. "I do not know if I would say that I -crave- it. Of course I want to know more that I don't now, to become more than I am - but this will happen regardless of whether I force it along or not, as long as I don't avoid it. Which I have no intent towards."
[18:53] <Kotono> "Good. Go back to bed, Anastasia...soon enough, I promise you, you'll find that and so much more." With that Alexandria storms forward, heading to the stairs with a quick, swift gait. Almost berserkly fast.
[18:57] * Ana-chan blinks in surprise at the rapid exit, but slowly she follows after Alexandria, towards the stairs out of the library. It's clear that her employer still has plans for the rest of the evening, but she's pressed her luck enough for one night.
[18:57] <Kotono> OOC- Following or going to bed, intent is unclear.
[18:58] <Ana-chan> OOC - I'll follow enough to see where she's going, but I'm not going to tail her any further. More headed back to bed.
[18:59] <Kotono> She goes to the second floor, heading to her quarters for now. She departs, giving Anastasia privacy and a chance to go to her room ifs he wishes.
[19:00] * Ana-chan heads down to pick up her book from the living room slowly before returning to her bedroom in a pensive frame of mind. 'Just how -did- she figure out I was there?' the blonde muses, settling back on her bed with book in hand.
[19:01] <Kotono> As Anastasia lies down, she notes the pills and water are still there.
[19:02] * Ana-chan leaves them where they are for the moment - she's still a bit too highly string from her little spying mission to sleep in any case. Settling back with the book in the darkened room, she starts to read, hoping to settle her nerves a bit before she even thinks about sleep.
[19:04] <Kotono> Nothing of note happens, and soon Anastasia is beginning to get tired.
[19:05] * Ana-chan doesn't fight it this time - after her nightmares of earlier that week, she takes the pills without protest - at least assuming they're the same as the ones Chizuru checked out earlier.
[19:06] <Kotono> They are. Once taken, Anastasia falls into a deep, dreamless sleep. One that she'll wake up refreshed from, feeling awake and vital in the morning...

Ebiris

[19:15] <Karuma-chan> After her online conversation the previous day, Karuma heads into Tokyo, a black-haired wig and a little makeup to alter her appearance a bit, though not as drastically as when she was infiltrating the police station. Having the location of one of their 'churches' from the website, she makes her way over to drop in on it.
[19:18] <Kotono> It's down one of the many streets of an old Tokyo District. Nerima is mostly prewar houses and fading business, the poorer classes working away here. In a large lot the church is - a modern, new building that stands out, two stories and with a broad, grassy lawn. It really does stick out, a sign simply proclaiming it a Church of the Last Testament. Glass doors lead inside.
[19:20] * Karuma-chan steps inside and nervously looks around, appearing like the sort of skittish and delicate flower that's the bread and butter of these charlatans.
[19:21] <Kotono> Inside is a grand, church style pew. It's decorated nicely, stark glass windows showing the end of the world. Broken cities and ruined lives, a sense of resignation about. Walking here and there are those in brown robes, hoods up and faces hidden. One scurries towards you, quickly bowing. "Welcome, lost one."
[19:22] <Karuma-chan> "Ah, h-hello," Karuma simpers, giving a watery smile. "I... I feel a bit strange, since I've never really been to church before," she admits, "But I read about this one and was curious..."
[19:25] <Kotono> He rubs his hands together - African, rubbing them together slowly. "Ah, yes, yes." His Japanese isn't accented, deep voiced and baritoned. "Are you lost? Tired? Afraid?"
[19:27] <Karuma-chan> "Well, I just..." Karuma cocks her head a moment, as if searching for words, "The world feels so... bleak now, compared to the one my parents lived in. I guess that's why I was curious about this church - most people just try to pretend like everything's fine, but... it really isn't, is it?"
[19:27] <Kotono> "It's alright." He smiles - you can see his face, broad and meaty. He reaches out, taking your hand. "It's not. Humanity clings to the last spasms of life even in death, but it's time to let go." You notice he's luring you forward, deeper in, getting you to walk.
[19:31] * Karuma-chan trots along with her shepherd, a wolf among the sheep, even as she continues her simple minded act. "Isn't it scary, though?" she asks meekly. "Like giving in?"
[19:32] <Kotono> You're lead to a pew, sat down with easy speed. You note there are some books stored in the back of each, but you don't get much of a look. He pushes his hood back - he's in his fourties, well fed but strong, gray and black AFrican hair. He has a well trimmed beard. "Why should it be? Everything dies - it's our race's time to die. We brought it on ourselves, why resist?"
[19:33] <Karuma-chan> "I don't know..." Karuma looks down for a moment, sighing softly. "I just don't know. I suppose that's why I came here?"
[19:34] <Kotono> "You're lucky today." SMiling, "Our Grand Leader is in this very chapter house. He's the final visionary of humankind, here to ease us into tiredness. You want to see him, don't you? He'll show you the path."
[19:37] <Karuma-chan> Oh, dear God... It takes all Karuma's willpower not to burst out into a delighted grin. But no, she has to take this slowly, even if it would be all too easy to collapse the roof ontop of the deranged mutant's head. "You mean... Kaguzachi Momoro?" she asks slowly. "I read a bit about him in the pamphlet..."
[19:38] <Kotono> "Yes, he is here." With confirmation he smiles again, strangely alluring. Appealing. Mmm, appealing...
[19:38] <Kotono> roll 2d8
[19:38] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 6." [2d8=4, 2]
[19:38] <Kotono> OOC - Mind check, two point bonus.
[19:39] <Kotono> OOCc - Also, mental shield applies.
[19:39] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 target 15
[19:39] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 target 15 and gets 9." [2d8=8, 1]
[19:39] <Kotono> Karuma resists - she can feel it, a sweet and skillful probe to water her will down to a manageable lump.
[19:42] <Karuma-chan> This time Karuma can't keep her reaction perfectly controlled as her eyes widen momentarily - she's not quite sure what she's feeling, never having encountered a telepath before, but it's definitely a foreign presence in her mind. Coupled with her contact's warnings... "Really?" she murmurs, trying to play along even as she barricades her mind, "And I could meet him?"
[19:44] <Kotono> "Aaah....yes." A slight frown there as he rises, "You could. Come, child," His smile resumes quickly, "This way?"
[19:47] <Karuma-chan> "So soon?" Karuma stands up, faint surprise showing. "Heh, one of my friends said this was just like Hubology, but if I'm getting to meet Momoro-sensei so quickly then it can't be anything like that, right?"
[19:49] <Kotono> "...nothing at all..." He says, guarded as he gets up. "My homeland clings to false hope as well," he goes on, as the both of you rise, heading out from the pews. "Dear Nigeria...but it's time for everything to die..."
[19:50] * Karuma-chan really wishes she could just debate this idiot properly and grind his rhetoric into the dust - psychic powers or not, he's clearly not her intellectual equal if he believes all this tripe. Nonetheless, she has her role to play... "There's really no hope?" she sounds downcast, yet also somewhat accepting.
[19:51] <Kotono> Out and to the back - there are several doors here. A few hooded men linger as well, as, "The only hope is to let go, let go of your pain and accept the peace of nothingness. No more pain, no more suffering, only going to sleep for the last time.
[19:51] <Kotono> "
[19:53] * Karuma-chan bites her bottom lip, almost seeming nervous. In reality it's a symptom of her struggle to keep from berating the man and yelling at him to go kill himself if he thinks it's such a great idea. "Yes, the world has so much suffering, even now. It's as if we learned nothing from the war," she murmurs, continuing to go through the motions.
[19:54] <Kotono> "We only learned to delay the inevitable," he intones, heading for the middle of seven doors. A hooded figure lingers there, face hiddena s you stop there. Your unnamed guide shakes his head to him, the other hooded one looking to you.
[19:54] <Kotono> "Delay the inevitable..." He intones, voice a low, gravely mourning. "If only more people would let go of their pain."
[19:56] <Karuma-chan> "You're very brave," Karuma simpers. "Not many people are strong enough to accept that." She looks down a moment, "I'm not sure if I am..."
[19:57] <Kotono> roll 2d8
[19:57] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 10." [2d8=2, 8]
[19:57] <Kotono> OOC - Mind check, 2 point bonus and mind shieldapplies.
[19:57] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 target 15
[19:57] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 target 15 and gets 10." [2d8=4, 6]
[19:58] <Kotono> Again Karuma feels the brushing against her mind, but she repels the intrusion! "...Aaaah," he murmurs, deep voice wavering. "It's only common sense."
[20:01] <Karuma-chan> The next fucker that touches her mind dies, so Karuma swears. Certainly grateful for being made of sterner mental fortitude than the average homo sapiens, Karuma only looks guilelessly up at her 'guide'. "But it's not common sense - if it were common, there'd be no struggle at all. It really is brave to be able to put everything aside like that."
[20:03] <Kotono> "Fear dilutes common sense," The second one says, "Jakawi, would you," he opens the door, a short little hallway haead. "Leader is in his office."
[20:04] * Karuma-chan waits to be led onwards, not showing any initiative.
[20:05] <Kotono> Jakawi does, taking your hand. It's carpeted here, thick gray stuff that muffles foosteps. Down a hall with pictures and art, pleasant. It's just very pleasant here, to the end of the hall. There's another door, a stairwell here. "Don't worry, all your fear will be gone...soon."
[20:07] <Karuma-chan> "Oh, I hope so..." Karuma nods as she obediently trots along, "It's nice to at least meet people who think like I do... makes me feel less alone, like I'm not the only one who sees anything wrong with where we're going."
[20:08] <Kotono> "You're on the right path now," he intones another time, going up the steps. As you do, you pass a third hooded man. He stops and nods, "Oh, a new entry?" she asks - it's a she, a woman's voice as she brushes back her hood. Kind of cute, a bit old though. Middle aged. Nice face and blonde hair, though. "Hi." Right in the middle of a small, white painted stairwell, getting right upstairs.
[20:11] <Karuma-chan> "Hello," Karuma essays a smile back. "I was just curious about the Church of the Last Testament, and now I'm getting to meet Momoro-sensei - I'm a little nervous," she blushes.
[20:12] <Kotono> Jakawi shakes his head briefly to her, as she smiles. "Oh, hiya. It'll be alright, Grand Leader's...amazing!" WIth a smile she looks innocent and brainless, easy.
[20:12] <Kotono> roll 2d8
[20:12] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 10." [2d8=2, 8]
[20:12] <Kotono> OOC - Mind check, 2 point bonus and mind shieldapplies.
[20:13] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 target 15
[20:13] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 target 15 and gets 10." [2d8=8, 2]
[20:13] <Kotono> Again Karuma resists, this time the defense feeling like old hat!
[20:13] <Karuma-chan> OOC: Can I tell if it's coming from her or Jakawi?
[20:14] <Kotono> OOC - You can dimly reckon it's coming from her, I think. I'll rule you can usually tell unless there's a good reason/crowd to prevent you from.
[20:15] <Karuma-chan> "Oh, I hope so," Karuma simpers back, even if her eyes do narrow slightly, the Left Hand of God marking this woman for death. These fools need to respect their betters.
[20:17] <Kotono> "Good! He's..." A Shiver as she moves along, looking strangely to Jakawi before hurring down the stairs.
[20:18] <Kotono> "Let's go...he's waiting," Your guide smiles, picking up his pace to the top of the stairs. There's a grand office here, big with plush chairs, carpets, a huge desk, fish tanks - all the signs of wealth. It's beautiful here...
[20:24] * Karuma-chan smiles darkly to herself as she passes by the woman, time almost seeming to slow down for her as her mental grasp reaches out, encircling her foolish prey... But no. With an effort, she resists the urge. Satisfying as it would be, it would be too big a distraction right now. But she won't forget this slight, oh no. (more)
[20:25] <Karuma-chan> Seeing the opulence upstairs, she really can't hold her tongue, however. "This is a lot of, ah... worldly goods," she simply has to observe.
[20:26] <Kotono> The chair at the desk is turned, a voice that overwhelms your senses heard. "It's to put those that still care about these things at rest." The chair turns - he's hunchbacked and hooded, yet...woaaaah. OOC - Mind check with a 2 point penalty, Mind Shield applies here, I think. Lemme check whle I reread the trait.
[20:27] <Kotono> OOC - Eh, I'll allow the bonus in this case since it's borderline for now. I may change my mind on this if it comes up in a later session, though.
[20:28] <Karuma-chan> OOC: bonus? penalty? clarify what I'm rolling against
[20:28] <Kotono> OOC - Mind check with a two point penalty, mind shield applies, however.
[20:28] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 target 11
[20:28] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 target 11 and gets 8." [2d8=1, 7]
[20:29] <Kotono> The voice is commanding, powerful. Raw charisma drips off it, each syllable entrancing! But Karuma holds her mind mostly together! His hands are steepled in front of him, gnarled and bent. "You're lost...scared...afraid...alone?"
[20:32] <Karuma-chan> Oh, the urge to kill! So strong! She can certainly understand Alexandria's desire to remove this freak of nature from circulation. Nonetheless Karuma keeps her lethal urges in check. "Yes, I was talking to Mr Jakawi - the world seems so bleak, like everyone's just going through the motions. When I read about this place, I just... I just had to come!" she gets out, words tumbling forth like she's some scatterbrained true believer.
[20:33] <Kotono> He stands up - only about four feet up or so, hunched. His face his hidden, as he comes over to you. "It's alright," he soothes, approaching Karuma. "Tell me all about it - we understand."
[20:36] <Karuma-chan> "You do, don't you?" Karuma smiles sappily. "I suppose on some level I've known ever since I was little... I'd read old books, look at my parents' photo albums... the world seemed so different, before the..." she swallows nervously, "Before the war. Now it's like a sad shadow of what it was..."
[20:36] <Kotono> "The death throes are terrifying to watch," He's in front of you now, pushing back his hood. "Look to me, child..."
[20:39] <Karuma-chan> Here comes the hypno-vision... Confident that her mental faculties are more than a match for this mutant before her, Karuma looks down at the stooped and robed figure expectantly.
[20:39] <Kotono> OOC - Looking at his face or just down.
[20:41] <Karuma-chan> OOC: well, same thing - he's short, right?
[20:41] <Kotono> OOC - Heh, true, I'm just trying to be clear here.
[20:42] <Kotono> You catch his eyes as you look down.  They're...they're...!!!!!
[20:42] <Kotono> roll 2d8
[20:42] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 9." [2d8=4, 5]
[20:42] <Kotono> OOC - Mind check with a 2 point penalty again, but mind shield most assurredly plays in.
[20:42] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 target 11
[20:42] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 target 11 and gets 11." [2d8=8, 3]
[20:43] <Kotono> Ugh! Karuma's stomach churns as her mind goes blank! For a horrifying second she is completely prone, but her mind rallies! She reemerges, staggered mentally but in control!
[20:54] <Karuma-chan> That. Is. It. This... thing, must die. Dropping her facade, Karuma glares down at the one who would seek to mentally dominate her. Her! The Left Hand of God! Snapping a hand out at Jakawi, she attempts to grab him telekinetically and hurl him back down the hall and down the stairs.
[20:54] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 TK check target 16
[20:54] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 TK check target 16 and gets 8." [2d8=4, 4]
[20:54] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 ACV target 12
[20:54] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 ACV target 12 and gets 14." [2d8=7, 7]
[20:56] <Kotono> You grab him with your mind, tossing him like a javelin! He's tossed but misses the stairs, instead landing besides them! He coughs as he tries to get up, stunned! Momoro gasps, vice angry. "A disbeliever! A heretic has come to our most sacred...our are you just some stupid kid?! What's going on?!" OOC - Initaitive is good here, yes.
[20:56] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8+10
[20:56] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8+10 and gets 16." [2d8=1, 5]
[20:56] <Kotono> roll 2d8 Momoro watch him roll good
[20:56] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 Momoro watch him roll good and gets 15." [2d8=8, 7]
[20:57] <Kotono> OOC - Other guy is kinda stunned and I'll integrat ehim last in a few rounds if he has a chance. Anyway, order is Momoro>Karuma. Ow.
[20:59] <Kotono> "You..." He scrambles back, putting his hands out! An oval of shiny light gleams around him, shielding his body! OOC - Karuma.
[21:00] <Karuma-chan> "You overstepped yourself, cretin," Karuma glares, waving her hand towards his massively ornate desk which she promptly wrenches off the floor and floats over to position where it can settle over the stairwell to block access.
[21:01] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 TK target 16
[21:01] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 TK target 16 and gets 13." [2d8=6, 7]
[21:02] <Kotono> The deks spreads it's fancy contents around as Karuma picks it up with her mind! It blocks the stairs easily, a barrier between interference and your target! But his hood goes back at this, an ugly, pustule filled face glaring! A demonic charisma fills it, making your knees quake! "HERETIC! NO ONE OPPOSES ME!"
[21:02] <Kotono> roll 2d8
[21:02] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 11." [2d8=7, 4]
[21:03] <Kotono> OOC - Mind check with a 2 point penalty, mind shield applies.
[21:03] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 target 11
[21:03] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 target 11 and gets 13." [2d8=6, 7]
[21:04] <Kotono> Karuma feels her will overwhelmed! A command roars in her mind - Sit.
[21:04] <Kotono> OOC - Strike.
[21:04] <Kotono> OOC - We'll deal with emntal combat first.
[21:06] <Kotono> OOC- I'm going to have him act first then you can choose your action.
[21:07] <Kotono> Your mind swelss with him! You can feel his will all around you, crushing! It's overwhelming you!
[21:07] <Kotono> roll 2d8
[21:07] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 9." [2d8=4, 5]
[21:07] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 target 9
[21:07] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 target 9 and gets 14." [2d8=6, 8]
[21:08] <Kotono> Karuma's mental will is battered down! Her mind recoils as she feels memories ripped into, her very being slashed! (11 points of damage.)
[21:08] <Karuma-chan> OOC: With my Mind Shield providing 10 points of armour, that's... 1 damage. Yay!
[21:10] * Karuma-chan reinforces her will, trying to force the intruder out.
[21:10] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 target 9 (Mind 12 -4 for attempt, but +1 for Mind Shield)
[21:10] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 target 9 (Mind 12 -4 for attempt, but +1 for Mind Shield) and gets 11." [2d8=3, 8]
[21:10] <Kotono> OOC - Go for it.
[21:11] <Kotono> No good! Karuma's will is pinned down, the overwhelming aura too much to manage! The battlefield of the mind swirls, the outside world lost on Karuma! She can feel him, like a tidal wave washing over a village! A great deluge, looking to sweep away her mental will!
[21:11] <Kotono> roll 2d8
[21:11] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 15." [2d8=8, 7]
[21:12] <Kotono> But it leaves no damage, only a failed effort forward! OOC - Karuma.
[21:13] * Karuma-chan visualises her mind not as a village, but as a fortress, secure from all intruders! Redoubling her mental focus, she once more attempts to hurl the intruder out, before she can make a far more physical attempt at hurling him someplace.
[21:13] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 target 9
[21:13] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 target 9 and gets 4." [2d8=1, 3]
[21:14] <Kotono> With a snap Karuma returns to the real world! She staggers, that overwhelming power repelled, at least for now! Her vision clears - Momoro is back a few more steps, eyes clearing as well. "Little heretic..." he hisses, low. "Mind armor?" OOC - He's holding for the moment, go.
[21:18] <Karuma-chan> "Foolish mutant," Karuma sneers, "Those mental parlour tricks might work on the sheep you surround yourself with, but you're out of your league, now." Holding up her hand, she attempts to grab Momoro and hurl him at Jakawi. Two birds with one mutant, and all that.
[21:18] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 TK target 16
[21:18] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 TK target 16 and gets 12." [2d8=5, 7]
[21:19] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 ACV to grab Momoro target 10 (mistake earlier, it's 10 to gra, 12 to throw)
[21:19] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 ACV to grab Momoro target 10 (mistake earlier, it's 10 to gra, 12 to throw) and gets 10." [2d8=7, 3]
[21:19] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 ACV to throw him at Jakawi target 12
[21:19] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 ACV to throw him at Jakawi target 12 and gets 8." [2d8=6, 2]
[21:22] <Kotono> He is tossed at Jakawi just as he rises! The poor black man is knocked over like a bowling pin, whilst Momoro bounces off and lands unharmed! His field doesn'te ven die as he gets up, glaring! Another mental attack, the only words a call of mental combat!
[21:22] <Kotono> roll 2d8
[21:22] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 7." [2d8=6, 1]
[21:22] <Kotono> OOC - Mind check, 2 point penalty, mind shield applies, blah blah blah you know it by now.
[21:22] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 target 11
[21:22] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 target 11 and gets 16." [2d8=8, 8]
[18:16] <Kotono> Karuma's mind is pinned down, beaten and battered. You can feel a pressuring roar, a deafening tidal wave coming to crash down on Karuma's mind!
[18:16] <Kotono> roll 2d8
[18:16] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 11." [2d8=8, 3]
[18:17] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 target 9 assuming no mods
[18:17] <Kotono> OOC - DCV.
[18:17] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 target 9 assuming no mods and gets 9." [2d8=2, 7]
[18:18] <Kotono> Karuma is able to bunch her will up! She's nearly washed away mentally, but her sense of self remains!
[18:20] * Karuma-chan frowns darkly. She could just resist again and toss him out of her mind, but this will just keep going back and forth. Far better to simply give him an incentive... Not even bothering to gesture, now, she mentally grabs Momoro, intending to dump him headfirst into one of the handy aquariums and hold him there.
[18:20] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 target 16 TK
[18:20] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 target 16 TK and gets 12." [2d8=4, 8]
[18:20] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 target 10 ACV
[18:20] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 target 10 ACV and gets 4." [2d8=1, 3]
[18:22] <Kotono> OOC - They're not open topped, so you'd know he'd have to crash through glass and/or top. You okay with that?
[18:23] <Karuma-chan> OOC: Yep. I'd try and angle the crash so he didn't shatter all the glass - I need enough water retained to drown him with, after all.
[18:23] <Kotono> OOC - Okay.
[18:23] <Kotono> OOC - Just making sure we're clear.
[18:26] <Kotono> OOC - As an aside, on thinkign about it there could be a rules issue here but we'll go ahead and roll with this as is.
[18:26] <Karuma-chan> OOC: I don't think there are rules for drowning, so just have to go with your judgement!
[18:27] <Kotono> OOC - Well, I meant some of the TK stuff and mind combat, but we'll go into it later OOCwise. Anyway
[18:30] <Kotono> Tossed like an apple off William Tell's head, Momoro crashes into an aquarium's top! The top shatters, as Karuma tries to dunk him into the cool, cold water for a good drowning! OOC - React whilst I check something.
[18:32] * Karuma-chan simply maintains her telekinetic grip, holding the mutated prophet upside down in the air with his head submerged while doing her best to keep her mind closed from his mental intrusions. "That nice glow of yours might protect against blunt trauma, but I wonder if it obviates the need to breathe," she smiles nastily.
[18:34] <Kotono> You can hear him struggle, forcefield and water meeting! As the slow process begins, Karuma can hear noises below, but the desk seems to be blocking progress for now! Yet his struggles cease as he holds his breath, another mental assault coming!
[18:34] <Kotono> roll 2d8
[18:34] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 10." [2d8=3, 7]
[18:34] <Kotono> OOC _ Mental DCV
[18:34] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 target 9
[18:34] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 target 9 and gets 13." [2d8=8, 5]
[18:36] <Kotono> A vast tidal wave washes over Karuma! Memories are submerged, will is battered, the mind is washed heavily! She feels her very sense of self buckle, mind trying not to go watery-glassy smooth! (50 points of damage before mind armor. Current HP now?)
[18:36] <Karuma-chan> OOC: 39
[18:37] <Kotono> OOC: Wait, does mind damage use normal ACV for damage or men...oh fuck it. 50 for now, I'll review the rules later.
[18:37] <Karuma-chan> OOC: Average of Mind and Soul
[18:38] * Karuma-chan winces horribly, but daren't let up on what she's doing. "I will not lose..." she grates out furiously, keeping him held under. It's just a matter of who breaks first, now...
[18:39] <Karuma-chan> OOC: Actually, since I already have him held, does it count as an action to keep him like this? Otherwise I can just make an attempt at mentally forcing him out.
[18:39] <Kotono> OOC - Mmmm. You can, but I'll rule it splits your concentration and you get another 2 point penalty on the check.
[18:40] <Karuma-chan> OOC: better than nothing
[18:40] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 target 7
[18:40] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 target 7 and gets 9." [2d8=1, 8]
[18:41] <Kotono> You can briefly hear him try to vainly struggle, but he seems to understand he's pinned by the power of Karuma's mind! Taking action instead, he attemps to finish flooing the assassin's mind with his own power, before he dies of oxygen loss!
[18:41] <Kotono> roll 2d8
[18:41] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 12." [2d8=5, 7]
[18:43] <Kotono> But Karuma isn't affected, wobbly and up, mind half blank! She can distantly hear the sounds of a struggle with the desk, trying to push it up!
[18:43] <Kotono> roll 2d8 generic check for those below
[18:43] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 generic check for those below and gets 11." [2d8=8, 3]
[18:46] <Karuma-chan> "Just give in and lead your followers by example, you cretin," Karuma glowers, making another attempt at ejecting him from her mind with only a bit of attention directed to keeping him held - his struggles aren't in the physical realm, anyway.
[18:46] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 target 7
[18:46] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 target 7 and gets 9." [2d8=3, 6]
[18:47] <Kotono> He merely tries to hold on, keeping his mind together or trying to!
[18:47] <Kotono> roll 2d8 body check
[18:47] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 body check and gets 7." [2d8=3, 4]
[18:47] <Kotono> He seems to hold on awhile longer, another forceful tidal wave of mental horror at Karuma!
[18:47] <Kotono> roll 2d8
[18:47] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 7." [2d8=3, 4]
[18:47] <Kotono> OOC - DCV
[18:47] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 target 9 oh god
[18:47] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 target 9 oh god and gets 5." [2d8=1, 4]
[18:48] <Kotono> But Karuma has enough in her! Just barely, resisting the siren song of mental oblivion! Meanwhile, she can hear them going at the desk again, trying to budge it forward!
[18:48] <Kotono> roll 2d8
[18:48] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 14." [2d8=6, 8]
[18:48] <Kotono> But it's not moving! Karuma really pried it in just so! OOC - Go.
[18:49] * Karuma-chan wonders if he has extra lungs in those horribly deformed lumps of his, again trying to repulse the mental intrusion.
[18:49] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 target 7
[18:49] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 target 7 and gets 6." [2d8=2, 4]
[18:50] <Kotono> Karuma is somehow able to resist, destroying the pull of mind to mind! She stumbles, FEELING the damage to her pysche. Things are wrong, blurred over, making her entire body shake! Even with her defenses, the Left Hand of God has not come away unscathed!
[18:50] <Kotono> roll 2d8 body check
[18:50] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 body check and gets 9." [2d8=1, 8]
[18:51] <Kotono> Somehow, just barely he still seems to function! You can feel his wobbly probe, desperately reaching for Karuma, seemign to want to snuff her out so he has a prayer of life and escape!
[18:51] <Kotono> roll 2d8
[18:51] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 14." [2d8=6, 8]
[18:51] <Kotono> But nothing happens! Meanwhile another effort happens at the desk, a heavy push on it!
[18:51] <Kotono> roll 2d8
[18:51] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 13." [2d8=5, 8]
[18:51] <Kotono> But nothing happens there, either! OOC - Karuma0chan!
[18:52] <Karuma-chan> Resolving to make Alexandria pay through the nose for all the trouble she's enduring. Still, nearly done. Karuma saves her efforts for now, only just holding him in place and letting nature take it's course. She could help things along if that shield of his was gone, but for now oxygen deprivation should see him to oblivion soon enough.
[18:53] <Kotono> Karuma still feels wrong, violated, damaged. Her mind, she has trouble remembering things, basic things -b ut for now, her focus is ahead of her!
[18:54] <Kotono> roll 2d8 I'll be surprised if he clears this one with teh stacking mod
[18:54] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 I'll be surprised if he clears this one with teh stacking mod and gets 13." [2d8=8, 5]
[18:55] <Kotono> Finally! He goes still, suffociation latching on! No more struggles, no more intrusions into Karuma's mind! But even as she can feel that in her mentally numbed state, the desk is again hit hard!
[18:55] <Kotono> roll 2d8
[18:55] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 9." [2d8=8, 1]
[18:55] <Kotono> With a final POP the desk is pushed up, a gap there! You can see a few brown robed persons charging through! "LEADER!" one calls, "What's going on?!"
[18:56] <Kotono> OOC - Goa head and take a singel action then we'll go into initaitive as needed.
[18:58] * Karuma-chan sighs. Witnesses... so bothersome. "It would have been far better if you'd waited just a moment. Now I have to kill you all," she smiles maliciously at the group, keeping Momoro held in case he's putting on an act.
[18:59] <Kotono> OOC - Initiative here, I think.
[18:59] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8+10
[18:59] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8+10 and gets 20." [2d8=7, 3]
[18:59] <Kotono> roll 2d8 group for however many cultists are down there
[18:59] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 group for however many cultists are down there and gets 6." [2d8=3, 3]
[18:59] <Kotono> OOC - Karuma>Hooded cultists
[19:01] <Karuma-chan> With the desk still within her radius of control, Karuma is able to retain her hold on Momoro while exerting a slight mental effort to replace the desk over the stairwell, cutting off both reinforcement and retreat.
[19:01] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 TK target 16
[19:01] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 TK target 16 and gets 8." [2d8=2, 6]
[19:02] <Kotono> OOC - Can you hold more than one target at once, Karuma?
[19:04] <Karuma-chan> OOC: TK doesn't use the targets, it uses Area, so I can effect things within a 10 metre radius up to my weight limit (which is 10 tonnes)
[19:04] <Kotono> OOC - Okay then, making sure.
[19:05] <Kotono> The desk goes back, pinning all but one back! This one is able to squeeze through, already having cleared a good part of the area! With a cry he sees the situation, before rushing at Karuma! "STOPSTOPSTOP HERETIC MAAASTER!" It's a full on body tackle, berserk and crude!
[19:05] <Kotono> roll 2d8
[19:05] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 8." [2d8=2, 6]
[19:06] <Kotono> OOC - DCV, Karuma.
[19:06] * Karuma-chan just raises her hand, her own telekinetic forcefield coming into play to block the crude attack.
[19:06] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 block defence DCV target 15 (stops up to 80 damage)
[19:06] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 block defence DCV target 15 (stops up to 80 damage) and gets 7." [2d8=2, 5]
[19:08] <Kotono> The TK successfully stops the charge! He freezes solid, held in place by Karuma's mind!
[19:09] <Karuma-chan> "Just wait a moment longer, will you?" Karuma sneers at the cultist. "I'll get to you once I'm sure Mr Momoro has left behind his worldly concerns. Then I'll let you join him in the beyond."
[19:12] <Kotono> "N...nooooo!" He cries, hooded face blank and hidden! But as he struggles, you see that Momoro struggles no more...
[19:12] <Karuma-chan> OOC: is his field gone?
[19:12] <Kotono> As you watch, his field fizzles and vanishes away.
[19:13] * Karuma-chan is never one to leave a job half done, her grip around Momoro abruptly contracting to crush his bones and make absolutely sure this deranged mutant will never trouble her again.
[19:13] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 target 10 ACV
[19:13] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 target 10 ACV and gets 8." [2d8=2, 6]
[19:13] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 for damage
[19:13] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 for damage and gets 8." [2d8=6, 2]
[19:14] <Karuma-chan> OOC: 28 damage
[19:16] <Kotono> Ker-rack! The sound of bone breaking is heard - boy is it ever! Nothing but a bloody, broken man now bleeds into the fishtank. Those poor fish!  But meanwhile...
[19:16] <Kotono> "Stop!" The very far doors open, thrown open! Two cultists are coming from there, one having a shiny mental object in his hand -a g un! OOC - Karuma's up, they'll take over on the cultists initaitive.
[19:18] * Karuma-chan lets Momoro drop - even if he's not quite dead, the lack of resistence or protest just now tells her all she needs to know. "Such dangerous toys you fanatics play with," she admonishes, snapping her fingers to yank the firearm from the cultist's hands.
[19:18] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 TK
[19:18] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 TK and gets 11." [2d8=6, 5]
[19:18] <Karuma-chan> OOC: he gets a body check at -5 penalty to hold on
[19:19] <Kotono> OOC - How's your range again?
[19:19] <Karuma-chan> OOC: 100 metre range, hits 10 metre radius. I've dropped Momoro.
[19:19] <Kotono> OOC - Okay.
[19:19] <Kotono> roll 2d8
[19:19] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 12." [2d8=6, 6]
[19:21] <Kotono> The one with the gun has it yanked out of his hadn! He stares in shock, while the other runs up! But he stops when he gets fairly close, instead concentrating!
[19:21] <Kotono> roll 2d8
[19:21] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 10." [2d8=2, 8]
[19:21] <Kotono> Karuma feels a push against her mind, but nothing comes of it! You can hear heavier and heavier pounding against the desk, too! OOC - Go.
[19:22] <Karuma-chan> "Fingerprints are wonderful things, aren't they?" Karuma smiles pleasantly, turning her telekinetically held gun towards Momoro and discharging it. "I wonder just what the police will think when they find all the bodies?"
[19:22] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 ACV target 10
[19:22] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 ACV target 10 and gets 4." [2d8=3, 1]
[19:23] <Kotono> The bullets enter his body, slamming several horrible wounds into him! AS the water runs even redder, the stunned one charges, the two close to you! "S...oh...Leaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaader! FOR THE GLORY OF THE CHURCH!" You feel both assault, mentally pounding Karuma!
[19:23] <Kotono> roll 2d8
[19:23] <Kotono> roll 2d8
[19:23] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 8." [2d8=6, 2]
[19:23] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 9." [2d8=7, 2]
[19:23] <Kotono> OOC - Two mental DCVs
[19:24] <Karuma-chan> OOC: just to check - don't I make mind checks first and if I fail them it then goes to mental combat and DCVs?
[19:24] <Kotono> OOC - Yes. My fault.
[19:24] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 target 13
[19:24] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 target 13 and gets 7." [2d8=5, 2]
[19:24] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 target 13
[19:24] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 target 13 and gets 11." [2d8=4, 7]
[19:25] <Kotono> Karuma is able to resist both entreaties, mind battered but still shielded! OOC - Go.
[19:26] <Karuma-chan> "Really, now," Karuma shakes her head, turning the gun around to fire on Jakawi's prone form as she continues in her maddeningly calm and conversational tone. "I'm only helping you along with your doctrine - wasn't the whole point to die, after all? At least this way you get to do so in the comfort of Tokyo and with your glorious leader, rather than out in the blasted wastelands."
[19:26] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 ACV target 10
[19:26] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 ACV target 10 and gets 13." [2d8=5, 8]
[19:28] <Kotono> The gun is out of bullets, Jakawi quite dead. "LEADER! NO!" One is clearly crying, as he charges at Karuma, while the other tries to mentally assault her! "I STILL HAVEN'T GIVEN YOU EVERYTHING, LEAAADER!"
[19:28] <Kotono> roll 2d8 charging fool
[19:28] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 charging fool and gets 9." [2d8=7, 2]
[19:28] <Kotono> roll 2d8 mr mind
[19:28] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 mr mind and gets 3." [2d8=1, 2]
[19:28] <Kotono> OOC - Mind check.
[19:28] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 target 13
[19:28] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 target 13 and gets 12." [2d8=4, 8]
[19:29] <Kotono> Once again Karuma resists, as the second charges futilely! Meanwhile below...
[19:29] <Kotono> roll 2d8
[19:29] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 11." [2d8=7, 4]
[19:29] <Kotono> ...you hear the desk hit again, but it's not moving!  OOC - Go again.
[19:30] <Karuma-chan> Letting the gun drop, Karuma decides to hoist up Momoro's desk and hurl it at the one who seems to be under the impression that they can pit their feeble intellect against her superior brainpower.
[19:30] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 TK
[19:30] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 TK and gets 9." [2d8=4, 5]
[19:30] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 ACV target 12
[19:30] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 ACV target 12 and gets 10." [2d8=5, 5]
[19:30] <Karuma-chan> OOC: Chair!
[19:30] <Karuma-chan> OOC: Momoro's chair, not desk
[19:30] <Karuma-chan> OOC: typo
[19:30] <Kotono> roll 2d8 he at least gets DCV against a flying chair!
[19:30] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 he at least gets DCV against a flying chair! and gets 11." [2d8=6, 5]
[19:31] <Kotono> OOC - Mmm. For damage let's just call that 5+ACV. Go ahead and roll your damage.
[19:32] <Karuma-chan> OOC: is it worth rolling a percentage of 5?
[19:32] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8
[19:32] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 and gets 13." [2d8=5, 8]
[19:32] <Kotono> OOC: Probably not, no.
[19:32] <Karuma-chan> OOC: 12 damage
[19:34] <Kotono> Clang! The chair slams into his  nogging, sending him down and dazed! A bit of blood flows from his cracked head, as the other one takes a wild swing at Karuma!
[19:34] <Kotono> roll 2d8
[19:34] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 5." [2d8=4, 1]
[19:34] <Kotono> OOC - DCV
[19:35] * Karuma-chan once again just holds up her hand to stop the attack cold with pure force of will.
[19:35] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 block DCV target 15
[19:35] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 block DCV target 15 and gets 5." [2d8=3, 2]
[19:35] <Kotono> The punch is blocked completely, frozen in midair! Meanwhile, the desk shudders again!
[19:35] <Kotono> roll 2d8
[19:35] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 8." [2d8=7, 1]
[19:36] <Kotono> It's startign to crack and break -s omeone's taking a fire ax to it, chopping it up!
[19:37] <Karuma-chan> "Yes, rush onwards to your deaths, cretins!" Karuma sneers, before focusing her baleful glare on the one who just tried to punch her, telekinetic pressure constricting like a vice...
[19:37] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 TK target 16
[19:37] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 TK target 16 and gets 12." [2d8=8, 4]
[19:37] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 ACV target 10
[19:37] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 ACV target 10 and gets 10." [2d8=6, 4]
[19:37] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 damage
[19:37] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 damage and gets 13." [2d8=8, 5]
[19:37] <Karuma-chan> OOC: 22 damage
[19:38] <Kotono> The powerful squeezing pops his shoulder out of place, making him scream! As he's caught, the chair clubbed one weakly gets up, taking the chair and throwing it at Karuma!
[19:38] <Kotono> roll 2d8
[19:38] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 12." [2d8=5, 7]
[19:38] <Kotono> But it's too far, flying and landing near one of the windows instead! Meanwhile, you can see the desk being torn apart, and you can hear several angry voices!
[19:40] <Karuma-chan> "Why don't you tell your friends how it feels?" Karuma glowers, not letting up the pressure on her current target. Might as well thin out their ranks before reinforcements arrive.
[19:40] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 ACV target 10
[19:40] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 ACV target 10 and gets 10." [2d8=4, 6]
[19:40] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 damage
[19:40] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 damage and gets 5." [2d8=3, 2]
[19:40] <Karuma-chan> OOC: 28 damage
[19:41] <Kotono> With a gory, meaty POP his head explodes! Skull and brain goes about like a spastic rain, staining the area around his body!
[19:41] * Karuma-chan hopes her own forcefield prevented any ichor staining herself.
[19:42] <Kotono> The chair thrower stalls and blanches, stunned - but it doesn'ts top the desk from falling apart altogether! SEven of them charge through - one has a baseball bat, two have guns and the lead one is big, burly and has a fire hax in hand! Karuma isn't bloodsplattered, her damage is mental!
[19:42] <Kotono> *Ax
[19:43] <Karuma-chan> OOC: speaking of that, does mental damage stack with physical damage?
[19:43] <Kotono> OOC - Yeah, same pool if you're not using EP.
[19:43] <Karuma-chan> OOC: just checking
[19:43] <Kotono> OOC: I'm not sure I'm thrilled there iether, but it's fine for now. Anyway, you're up.
[19:45] <Karuma-chan> "You'll do," Karuma smiles creepily at the largest cultist, grabbing him to use as a missile weapon against one of the gunmen.
[19:45] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 TK target 16
[19:45] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 TK target 16 and gets 9." [2d8=6, 3]
[19:45] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 ACV target 10 to grab
[19:45] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 ACV target 10 to grab and gets 9." [2d8=7, 2]
[19:45] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 ACV target 12 to throw!
[19:45] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 ACV target 12 to throw! and gets 5." [2d8=4, 1]
[19:45] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 for damage I don't know what
[19:45] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 for damage I don't know what and gets 6." [2d8=1, 5]
[19:46] <Karuma-chan> OOC: 75% of whatever damage you assign + 10 for my ACV
[19:47] <Kotono> OOC - Okay. For the sakeof simplicity I'm going to give the other six a group DCV againstMr. Missile.
[19:47] <Kotono> roll 2d8
[19:47] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 12." [2d8=6, 6]
[19:49] <Kotono> Slam! All seven are a pile at the edge of the stairs! A teeming mass of humanity, struggling to get up! One of the ones with a gun is knocked a bit aside, the only one able to rise and act in the chaos! With a shaking hand his handgun is pointed...and...FIRED!
[19:49] <Kotono> roll 2d8
[19:49] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 12." [2d8=7, 5]
[19:49] <Kotono> But his aim, much like the trend, only shatters a window behind Karuma!
[19:50] <Kotono> The chair thrower takes another swing, infuriated!
[19:50] <Kotono> roll 2d8
[19:50] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 6." [2d8=2, 4]
[19:50] <Kotono> OOD - DCV?!
[19:51] * Karuma-chan smiles infuriatingly, only seeming to use her index finger to block the punch. And a whole lot of mental muscle that this simpleton couldn't comprehend.
[19:52] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 block target 15
[19:52] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 block target 15 and gets 8." [2d8=7, 1]
[19:53] <Kotono> Boing! Spatial force successfully blocks the attack! Meanwhile, another hooded man comes from the back doors - ACK! This one has a freaking shotgun, a hunting weapon his meaty hands! OOC - Go.
[19:54] <Karuma-chan> "There's just no end to you cretins, is there?" Karuma sighs, waving her hand as she proceeds to disarm the shotgun wielder. Oh, the police will have a fun time sorting this one out...
[19:54] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 TK target 16
[19:54] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 TK target 16 and gets 9." [2d8=5, 4]
[19:55] <Kotono> roll 2d8
[19:55] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 13." [2d8=7, 6]
[19:56] <Kotono> As you disarm him, you hear it. Sirens. The sound of the police, cutting through the air! Meanwhile the one who missed you last round aims again, carefully taking a shot!
[19:57] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 13." [2d8=7, 6]
[19:57] <Kotono> But he misses, as the others rise! As one they're coming at you mentally! All six extend their minds, looking to batter poor Karuma!
[19:57] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 8." [2d8=7, 1]
[19:57] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 11." [2d8=7, 4]
[19:57] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 9." [2d8=5, 4]
[19:57] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 8." [2d8=2, 6]
[19:57] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 4." [2d8=2, 2]
[19:57] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 10." [2d8=5, 5]
[19:57] <Kotono> OOC - Four mind checks.
[19:58] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 target 13
[19:58] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 target 13 and gets 9." [2d8=6, 3]
[19:58] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 target 13 and gets 12." [2d8=7, 5]
[19:58] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 target 13 and gets 5." [2d8=3, 2]
[19:58] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 target 13 and gets 13." [2d8=8, 5]
[19:59] <Kotono> Yet Karuma bats each away, her mental shields coming up strong and defended, at least for now! OOC - Go.
[20:00] <Karuma-chan> "Oh..." Karuma looks disappointed at the sound of sirens. "Well, I believe that's my cue to leave. Good luck explaining all these illegal weapons to the police," she smiles, randomly firing the shotgun into the mass of cultists by the stairs as she retreats towards the windows - preferably one that isn't overlooking the main street outside.
[20:00] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 ACV target 10
[20:00] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 ACV target 10 and gets 9." [2d8=4, 5]
[20:00] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 damage
[20:00] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 damage and gets 8." [2d8=5, 3]
[20:01] <Karuma-chan> OOC: 75% shotgun damage + 10 for ACV
[20:01] <Kotono> A fe cultists aer hit, buckshot discharging into them! There's a window into a side alley, but they're all closed.
[20:06] <Kotono> Most of them are too hurt or too disoriented, but the other one with a gun manages to get out! He aims, firing at the retreating Karuma!
[20:06] <Kotono> roll 2d8
[20:06] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 3." [2d8=2, 1]
[20:06] <Kotono> OOC - DCV
[20:07] * Karuma-chan stops the bullet cold in its tracks with the power of her mind. At least that's the plan.
[20:07] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 target 15 block defence
[20:07] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 target 15 block defence and gets 10." [2d8=5, 5]
[20:08] <Kotono> The flyign bullet stops an inch before Karuma's neck, narrowly averting tragedy and disaster! OOC - Go.
[20:08] * Karuma-chan looks out the side window to ensure she won't pick up any more inconvenient witnesses, almost negligently firing another shot from her animated boomstick into the writhing mass of fanatics.
[20:08] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 ACV target 10
[20:08] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 ACV target 10 and gets 11." [2d8=4, 7]
[20:09] <Kotono> This shot is amiss as she sees the alley is empty, for now! Meanwhile another shot is fired at Karuma!
[20:09] <Kotono> roll 2d8
[20:09] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 6." [2d8=1, 5]
[20:09] <Kotono> OOC - DCV again.
[20:09] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 target 15 to repeat my party trick
[20:10] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 target 15 to repeat my party trick and gets 8." [2d8=4, 4]
[20:10] <Kotono> This bullet stops, hanging in air just above Karuma's stomach! OOC - Go
[20:11] * Karuma-chan lets the shotgun drop, focusing her telekinetic powers elsewhere to shatter the window before she jumps out, able to control her fall quite easily with her mental powers.
[20:11] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 TK target 16
[20:11] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 TK target 16 and gets 13." [2d8=7, 6]
[20:12] <Kotono> The window shatters as commanded, as yet another bullet is fired at Karuma! Meanwhile the sirens are wailing loud, the police surely here!
[20:12] <Kotono> roll 2d8
[20:12] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 6." [2d8=3, 3]
[20:12] <Kotono> OOC - Once again DCV
[20:12] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 target 15 bullets can't harm me!
[20:12] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 target 15 bullets can't harm me! and gets 9." [2d8=4, 5]
[20:13] <Kotono> Indeed, the bullet merely is deflected away safely! OOC - Once again, go.
[20:13] * Karuma-chan jumps out the window and floats down to safety before proceeding at a brisk pace deeper into the alley so she can depart the area without attracting yet more attention.
[20:13] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 TK so I don't fall too fast
[20:13] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 TK so I don't fall too fast and gets 11." [2d8=7, 4]
[20:14] <Kotono> Amazingly...this goes without incident! Into the alley Karuma goes, escaping easily! OOC - Skip ahead/cut scene here?
[20:15] <Karuma-chan> OOC: Only a slight skip ahead.
[20:15] <Kotono> OOC: Wehre are you going?
[20:16] <Karuma-chan> Leaving the area, Karuma heads back home, preferring to relax there rather than make the long trip to the mansion - her head still hurts something fierce from that mental invasion, even amid the euphoria of such a blissfully unrestrained display of her powers. She always knew she was something special, but that was just incredible! (more)
[20:16] <Karuma-chan> Safe back at her apartment, she picks up the phone and calls Alexandria...
[20:17] <Kotono> Two rings before a pickup. "Yes?" It's not Alexandria, but her servant instead.
[20:17] <Karuma-chan> "I would like to speak to Miss Ourobouros, please," Karuma replies languidly, settling herself down on her couch after having cleaned up and shed her disguise.
[20:18] <Kotono> No reply, just a pause. "Yes? The news is full of the 'Church Massacre'," Alexandria says, right to the point. "Breaking news."
[20:20] * Karuma-chan sighs, idly grabbing the remote and flipping the TV on. "And I had hoped to discuss the matter of compensation before dropping that pleasant little surprise upon you. Very well, I'll dispense with the charade - Twelve million is a nice round number, is it not?"
[19:42] <Kotono> It's showing a helicopter view of the compound! Dozens of police cars are there, sirens flashing! "More than one dead, a complete riot inside that the police had to put down? How...flagrant of you."
[19:44] <Karuma-chan> "Yes, yes, not exactly what I had in mind when I went in there," Karuma murmurs irritably, dropping the remote and massaging her aching temples. "Momoro forced my hand, however."
[19:46] <Kotono> Karuma's head hurts - occasionally things she thinks turn into glassy, smoothed over blanks, causing her entire brain to throb. "I see. What did the little maggot do?"
[19:46] <Kotono> There is a sharp, bellicose note of disdain in Alexandria's words, revelling in his likely nonlife now.
[19:48] <Karuma-chan> "Got in my head - all of his followers tried the same, but they weren't any trouble." Karuma lets out a long, shuddering sigh. Hopefully she'll feel better after sleep - just need to stay up long enough to take care of business. "He was a real threat, though. I decided it best to kill him there and then rather than take the risk of... whatever it was he wanted to do. Probably make me into another of his flock."
[19:52] <Kotono> "So the Left Hand of God became the Fist of God?" There is a short, sharp laugh, crackling with the noise of the TV coming intot he other ear. They're talking about a 'still developing incident in the Church of the Last Testament's chapterhouse.'.
[19:52] <Kotono> OOc - Gah.
[19:53] <Kotono> "So the Left Hand of God became the Fist of God?" There is a short, sharp laugh, crackling with the noise of the TV coming intot he other ear. They're talking about a 'still developing incident in the Church of the Last Testament's chapterhouse.'.  Pausing to soak up that as she considers, "Such a vulgar, pathetic man deserved no less, but you walk a dangerous path."
[19:55] <Karuma-chan> "I'm trusting to the unreliability of the witnesses," Karuma admits unhappily. "Things were arranged such that the physical evidence points to an internal struggle. I disguised my appearance somewhat as well, but you are right - this is not my typical modus operandi, nor one I would want to pursue in the future."
[19:56] <Kotono> OOC - Body check with heightened awareness playing in.
[19:57] <Karuma-chan> roll 2d8 target 10
[19:57] * Hatbot --> "Karuma-chan rolls 2d8 target 10 and gets 5." [2d8=2, 3]
[19:59] <Kotono> You hear it - the softest sound of incomprehensible crystal, noise shimmering in the very tip of your ears. "Did you..." Alexandria's voice lowers, dangerous, "Enjoy it? Enjoy feeling them helpless before you? That your lessers could only quail as you dealt with them as your whims saw fit?"
[20:02] <Karuma-chan> "It merely confirmed what I already knew," Karuma winces faintly, wondering if hearing things is another symptom of her mental trauma. "Miss Ourobouros, I am very tired and would like to rest. Let us come to an arrangement regarding my compensation and engage in small talk at some other time."
[20:03] <Kotono> "Very well. Rest for now - the matter of compensation can be settled another time." Her voice raises, almost...no. Not light, not soft, but merely neutral again. "Your money waits."
[20:04] <Karuma-chan> "Then we are agreed on twelve million yen?" Karuma confirms, not wanting to end things without a commitment.
[20:05] <Kotono> "Nine." A rare moment of pause, Karuma's head aching as she speaks.
[20:07] <Karuma-chan> "Ten, and not a yen less," Karuma replies, leaning forward over her knees and rubbing her forehead. Small relief that they're doing this over the phone, since her discomfort would clearly weaken her bargaining posture. Sleep better do something to let her mind sort itself out, since this is frankly intolerable.
[20:09] <Kotono> "Very well. Oh, and Karuma?" Alexandria breaks into a throaty chuckle, almost like....mmm. You should've remembered a word here, but more smooth, glassed over pain is your reward instead. "Injuries of the mind take time to heal, just like injuries of the body. I'd recommend lots of rest."
[20:10] <Karuma-chan> "Don't expect me at the mansion for a few days," Karuma returns curtly, ending the call and switching off the TV before she gets up and goes to bed. She can ask one of her neighbours to go shopping for her in the morning...

Asrana

<Kotono> ----------
<Kotono> Now that the cult is dead, it's the later afternoon when Chisato settles into do her work. She's at home today, resting in the confines of her room. Her daughter's asleep, a perfect chance to do 'work'.
* Chisato sets in, first bothering to spoof her IP, and then even rerouting herself through a few computers in Brazil and Russia before hopping back into the familiar cultist server, or trying to. Is it still online?
<Kotono> It is. IT's not too hard to find, nothing's changed and the website hasn't been updated.
* Chisato dives into the server proper, checking all it's outward connections to see if other computers within the building (or at least very immediate vicinity) are connected to it.
<Kotono> OOC: SKill check on computers.
* Hatbot --> "Chisato rolls 2d8 target 17 and gets 11." [2d8=3, 8]
<Kotono> It's connected to several other terminals, yes. They're identified by serials: CoLT001-CoLT018 are all online.  There's also a few connections that are offline, however. CoLT019 and 20, as well as CoLT666.
<Chisato> Given everything CoLT666 would be the OBVIOUS computer to check, but it is sadly offline. Opening the server log, she checks for the last connection/disconnection date of CoLt666.
<Kotono> It went offline two days ago. The timestamp shows that it went offline 3 hours after the incident with Karuma and Momoro.
* Chisato checks if this server acts as a router for the entire network to the rest of the internet.
<Kotono> It's not hard to find out since Chisato's already cracked the network. It does - it's the gateway portal.
* Chisato then searches and digs through the server's cache, looking namely for encrypted files, but searches across the spectrum for anything bank related.
<Kotono> OOC - Computers check with a 1 point mod against you.
<Chisato> roll 2d8 target 15
* Hatbot --> "Chisato rolls 2d8 target 15 and gets 6." [2d8=1, 5]
<Kotono> Chisato managed to dredge up some stuff! She thinks - it's all heavily encrypted. You are able to gleam an interesting bit of information, however: www.firsttahitianbank.com pops up a few times here and there.
<Chisato> Ah the new offshore accounts. Chisato pulls down the whole mess onto her computers, and taking a crack at just hard cracking the mess herself before she sets it to brute force. She might turn a profit on this operation regardless.
<Kotono> OOC - Computers check, 4 point mod against you
<Kotono> .
<Chisato> roll 2d8 target 13
* Hatbot --> "Chisato rolls 2d8 target 13 and gets 8." [2d8=4, 4]
<Kotono> Most of the day passes by and most of the next before Chisato's work bears fruit. It's another rainy day - December 1st by chance - when she finally cracks the code! Lesser computers and mortals would've ran screaming, but she has a working cypher going. Account number is 439XSLDF-45901xxxx-98378-48Dxx. (The x-es are numbers not recovered due to data loss and uncracked encrypted bits that aren't budging.) The password is Adrxxxxx, with the la
<Kotono> The password is Adrxxxxx, with the last five letters being lost. Adr soemthing.
* Chisato goes back to the server on a different connection, doing a straight search for Adr*.
<Kotono> OOC - Where on the server and how?
<Chisato> OOC - One easy/open search going for filenames, unencrypted files, text in documents, etc. One longshot search to look for any occurences at all.
<Chisato> OOC - Likely using the file index that the OS compiles for searches. >_>;
<Kotono> roll 2d8
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d8 and gets 9." [2d8=1, 8]
<Kotono> Nada. Well, there is one unrelated hit - in a gibberish dump file the letters Adr happen to be found a few times, but that looks all the world to be random chance, right?
* Chisato picks out that file anyway, trying to look for any kind of encryption, what comes after it, etc.
<Kotono> OOC - Computers check, 8 point mod against you. G'luuuuuuuck.
<Chisato> roll 2d8 target 9
* Hatbot --> "Chisato rolls 2d8 target 9 and gets 12." [2d8=4, 8]
<Kotono> Nope. If it's encrypted it's clearly something far beyond your ken.
* Chisato growls to herself. Thank heavens it wasn't a part of an operation, or really all that important to anything. She could take shots at it on her spare time, it'd at least give her something to do. And a challenge!
lt;Kotono>  (Currently looks like a 16-year-old girl):I walk up to the leader and say, "Are you so sure you want our money?" and use my alter self ability to grow a massive bulge in my pants.