(Arc 6-1) Odds and ends. No space for a weirdo and ass joke.

Started by Anastasia, May 14, 2007, 03:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

GM note: I think all these odds and ends are in order, roughly. I could be mixing a few small things up, but such is the nature of the beast. This part is somewhat solo and non linear as well, so take it how you will.

---

> So the day has come! The party has reunited and reformed, but within moments of it happening? You receive a page - a literal page serving boy, passing on a simple note. It reads simply: "Shop's opening today, come over. - Stronger." So the party heads therein - and now? The doors open as you approach, not a man needing to touch them. Sparkles glow inside, pedestools with glass cases on pillars, and several rows of glass covered display cases in the rear. It's quite pleasant here, carpeted with read and with light, etherial chimes playing...
> covered display cases in the rear. It's quite pleasant here, carpeted with read and with light, etherial chimes playing...
* Berlioz blinks, vaguely awed at the sparkling display of luxury presented. "This is... amazing."
* Shamal is dogless as she enters the shop, taking in the ambience. "She's done a good job fixing this place up," the witch can't help but marvel. Even if she does now have to go to a less competent bakery for her bread...
* Seira enters further into the shop, spending her time browsing.
> "Haven't I? THis place will be the talk of the city!" Countess Stronger comes out from a door in the rear, grinning from ear to ear. "I wanted to let you get a first look before it opens officially - well, again, since the last time was preparation and it wasn't fully set up. Since I have you to thank for all of it."
<Seira> "It certainly deserves to be the talk of the city," Seira agrees analytically.
> "So," she waves, "Look around! Buy something! Come back plenty, since I'm going to try to turn THIS into the hub of magic in the United Baronies, hell, in the entire region!"
<Shamal> "I trust you put the bear's heart to good use, then?" Shamal asks, fighting down the urge to say something nasty and unlike her. She took the job with her eyes open, and has no one to blame but herself.
> "Go look over there," she waves towards one of the pedestools. That thing'll even turn a midget into a weightlifter, I declare!" Countess Strong beams, and brushes back her hair, preening.
* Berlioz inspects each display and object carefully, looking at the inventory available in fascination. "Hmmmmmm."
* Lyselle looks around in silent wonder, not used by far to such magic as she just wanders randomly, looking about at anything to catch her fancy. "You put together an awful lot..." she notes, wondering how one even gets this much magic in one place.
<Shamal> "Yes... are all of these your creations?" Shamal asks, browsing around after a brief look at the belt.
> "It's the results of over ten years of work. In ruins, in caves, in towns, in crusty old lunatic's sittings rooms." The Countess stretches, "This is an entire career of work that you're looking at, and I'm hoping it'll spark enough to keep things moving."
<Shamal> "Speaking of lunatics," Shamal snorts as she spots a familiar battleaxe. "Hmm... I might need to save up a bit more, to be honest," she admits.
* Seira admires the rapier and its elegance.
> "Well yes, not any rube can afford all this," Countess STronger admits. "I pawned two of my best items, it's how I got rich - from men with too much gold for fascinating magical items in the Desert Fiefdoms or in Malmuth."
* Berlioz glances at the leather armor lushly displayed. "Impressive work, particularly considering it was done from a measly leather clothing."
> "Oh yes. It's quite excellent. I'm surprised it was passed up..." Countess Stronger smiles a bit, going over to that case and peering at it. "It was in the rewards I offered to Lyselle and Seira," she murmurs, smiling ever so sweetly to Berlioz.
* Berlioz snickers. "Wasteful that they didn't take up the offer."
* Shamal frowns slightly at the mention of rewards. "Really?" she asks, slowly turning to regard the other two named. "What wondrous items did you two win for all of our sacrifices?"
<Seira> "The best defense against the elements is not to get hit by them in the first place. Would you not agree, Countess?" she asks, gravitating closer to her.
> The Countess quickly starts to frown, but schools up her expression. "Yes, yes, I suppose so," she says. "Such a shame. "You'd just look ravishing in it, hm?" She leans out, running a finger over Berlioz's arm. "But yes, Seira is entirely correct. Avoidance is far better, but a good barrier is livesaving when all else fails."
* Berlioz smiles cynically. "It's good to have the appropriate defensive measures in any case. You cannot avoid suffering injuries forever, you know. I find this piece of armor to be way too good to pass up, myself...", the bard softly remarks, not objecting to Stronger's advance.
> A pause, the Countess turning to Shamal. "...aaah. I see. Yes, a ring for protection and a magic bow."
> "Weellll..." Countess Stronger considers, smiling nicely to Shamal after a quick, glancing look to Berlioz, "Yes, I suppose you're not terribly thrilled by that. Got left out of the loop?"
<Seira> "As soon as he reached Balmuria, he had to go. Urgently."
<Shamal> "Hmph. I'm glad to see it wasn't for nothing, then," Shamal remarks dourly, before shaking her head at Stronger. "It's not so much that, Countess," she admits, "The reward doesn't rankle so much as the cost that was borne."
> "Aaah." Another nod as she looks down at the armor, "What was the cost, then?"
<Shamal> "Five of us departed, four of us returned," the blonde replies with a sad sigh. "The bear made sure to sell its life dearly."
> "...Oh. I see." Countess Stronger looks to Berlioz and shakes hier head, "Well, that just made my oneupsmanship ring hollower. It was so much more fun when I got to imagine it as a field trip out for all of you."
* Seira marshalls her inner strength not to react outwardly to any of this, as she usually does with Berlioz's antics.
<Shamal> "I was lax in my guardianship... I won't be so in future," Shamal promises, looking down. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset everyone..."
> A pause as she blows out her breath, "Blelch. I apologize - I shouldn't have played with you like that under the circumstances. Even if I never met that fifth person, that's still terrible." A look to Berlioz, "Yes, sorry."
* Shamal twitches a bit. Poor Rin, beneath everyone's notice...
* Berlioz coughs. "Regardless. I am interested in this piece of armor..."
* Lyselle moves over, giving a slight pat on Shamal's shoulder. "Mmm, it's alright," she offers, wincing sharply at that overstep by Stronger. Oh how one never knows...
> "Well then, losing someone close to you. Hmph. I already gave out a lot in merchanside, but...oh, what the Abyss. Take it, Berlioz, and do you want something as well, Shamal?"
> Countess Stronger sighs once more, looking. "Why didn't yout ell me in the first place, though?"
* Berlioz smiles gracefully. "Thank you, Countess Stronger", as the bard carefully picks up the leather armor.
* Shamal emits a dark little chuckle, shaking her head. "I couldn't, no - that armour and what you've already given the others, it seems like you're taking a loss on the ingredients for making that belt to begin with."
<Seira> "The memory of that brave, dead dog was still too fresh in our minds," Seira says expressionlessly.
> "The belt alone sells for 16000 gold coins, and-...wait,what?" Countess STronger sputters badly, choking and coughing. "DOG?"
* Seira nods curtly.
* Shamal twitches again, glaring at Seira. "You speak as if she was some mere housepet! Rin was my beloved companion, blessed by Mielikki herself!" she snaps indignantly.
> "Dog..." The Countess twitches again, "You mean your familiar?"
* Berlioz begins giggling softly, yet incontrollably at Seira's childlike mischief, covering his mouth with the backpalm.
<Seira> "Did you already replace your irreplaceable companion?" Seira idly wonders.
<Shamal> Sighing as she deflates, Shamal shakes her head. "No, I have a rabbit as my familiar. But I was entrusted with Rin's guardianship as well..." Seira's next words raise Shamal's ire once more, however. "How dare you! Rin wasn't some mere tool that can be 'replaced'! She was my companion - even if I have found another ward, she in no way replaces Rin. You demean her sacrifice by speaking in this way!"
* Seira breaks into a sudden coughing fit.
> Taking a long breath, the Countess rubs her forehead, "I believe I get the thrust of your inten-oh." Countess Stronger clears her throat, "Alright, by the Goddess Mystra, enough. Take the armor and...oh, take something!" Countess Stronger says
> .
<Shamal> "I believe I am finished," Shamal replies curtly, storming out.
* Berlioz golfclaps Seira as she coughs, a cynical smirk in his face. "Brilliant rhetoric there, Seira. What next? You going to tie bells to a cat's tail or such a brilliant act of maturity bereft of a five-year-old?"
> "Well." Stronger brushes her dress off. "So...ah...going to buy anything?"
<Seira> "You. Lecturing me. On maturity." She blinks, before turning her attention to the Countess. "Yes, in fact. Could I commission a wand from you, Ma'am?"
> "Yes. I'm not fully familiar with wands yet, but I should be soon. I'm spending all my efforts focusing my skills into magical creation now."
<Seira> "That has my interest, then."
* Lyselle just rubs her forehead, this entire tirade something out of a nightmare. She could get her shield enchanted...but on second thoughts, she really doesn't want to be in the goblin-chamber-pot of words much longer, so she slips out. She has some embroidery that probably makes better conversation at the moment.
* Berlioz sighs, slipping out himself. He certainly could buy something, but better wait until a certain half-elf isn't around.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

> After resting up, the party heads to the garrison. Such a place is normalcy after a few weeks in the wilds of the Barbarian Lands, soldiers waving and saluting the stll newly promoted cadets. Commander Oberuth sits in the briefing room, sword hanging at his belt and posture straight. "Well then, it's good to see that you're alive. That trip was longer than I imagined it would be."
> After a moment, he does stop, "Barring Shamal? Where is she?"
* Berlioz frowns. "A rather unfortunate mishap happened."
<Seira> "She has requested a few days off, Sir," Seira adds.
* Berlioz sighs. "Her animal companion was slain by the dire bear we killed on the Countess' request."
> Commander Oberuth begins to grimace, but stops at Seira's quick addition. "Thank you," he says, a nod. "Very well. Then, sit down so we can get to business."
* Lyselle sits, not looking very happy with the meeting off on that foot, but it was unavoidable. What lays in store for them next, though, is surely to be distracting.
> "For now, things are quiet. You'll be put back into the general duty rosters for now, I believe. Since you were promoted, gate guarding isn't entirely apt." The large, pondering man considers, steepling his fingers together.
> "Ah yes. Leading along a street patrol should be fine." A though after that, "Starting once Shamal arrives in a few days."
<Seira> "I see, Sir," Seira says, nodding. "Then I will have the time to further my studies into the arcane in the meanwhile."
> "Very well." A nod to each of them, "Dismis-oh, damnations." Oberuth looks annoyed a moment, "I had nearly forgotten this entirely. The civilian you fought with against the ghouls was named Donald?"
<Berlioz> "... yes", Berlioz remarks blankly. "Did he smack into the middle of trouble again?"
* Lyselle nods, standing and waiting for further dismissal, her expression professional. "He seemed nice enough when I met him..." she muses, raising an eyebrow at the bard.
> "There was an incident in his inn room. The window was smashed, the wall was torn and he swore a ghoul climbed up the walls, broke into his room and battled him until he drove it off. Just before the Guard arrived to investigate the ruckus, of course. There wasn't any visible evidence beyond the destruction at hand.  If you see him again, remind him that I'd rather not have him in the stockaides."
* Berlioz sighs awkwardly, a condescending tone in his voice. "Sounds typical of him. Good to know he won't stop at cleaving furniture when overtaken by zeal."
> "Indeed." Commander Oberuth clears his throat in irritation, "Well then, dismissed. If he does make more trouble, arrest him. Meaning well or not, that boy looks to be an incident waiting for a spark to set him off."
* Seira nods once more. "Yes, Sir. I shall not hesitate to arrest a friend of Berlioz."
* Berlioz pinches Seira in the arm. "That buffoon is not my friend. I hope this is clear by now", he finishes with a canine smile.
> Commander Oberuth's lips twitch a moment, before he smothers a laugh. Nonetheless, his shoulders push upward. "You sound more like comrades now...almost."
<Lyselle> "It's just them showing how much they love each other at heart," Lyselle agrees, nodding as she awaits dismissal.
<Seira> "I would not go that far," Seira protests. "Or even in that direction," she adds with a frown.
* Berlioz frowns with a grumble. "If the speculation about the relationship between the chippergirl and I is done...", the bard coughs at Lyselle, "... I will take my leave if it is allowed."
> "Go ahead," Commander Oberuth smiles broadly.
<Lyselle> "Haven't you been listening at the bar? It's never done!" Lyselle offers brightly, before slipping out the door, and away to her own practicing.
* Seira offers the Commander a salute, before leaving as well.
* Berlioz bows to Oberuth. "Thank you, sir", and leaves muttering and grumbling. "Noisy mongrels..."
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?