(Arc 6-3) TEAM UP AGAIN! COMMANDER, WE CAN FORM VOLTRON NOW!

Started by Anastasia, May 14, 2007, 03:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

<Seira> "I intend on investigating these crimes, Sir," Seira tells the Captain. "May I receive access to the case file for this other... disturbance?"
> "Here," he takes out a sheet of parchment, "The notes from the guard on duty." It's handwritten and fairly neat, easy to read common. It talks about how a merchant talks about how a 'magical gem of value' was stolen in the night. It has his location, the Dawn Pointe Inn, as well as basic information. He claimed to the guard it was worth thousands of gold, a rare artifact.
<Seira> "Is anyone assigned to this investigation at present, Sir?" Seira asks, not finding that information on the sheet.
> "Not at the moment. I'd held off for you. Here, it's all yours and anyone one else the Commander wants to have on it." He shakes his head, "If it's magic...you're the ones to deal with it, anyway."
<Seira> "I shall give it my all, Sir," Seira vows. "May I have a pair of guards to assist me, as the investigation inevitably leads towards arresting the thief?"
> "If you want two, but we'rea  little short today." He ponders a moment at that, "Do you have your own manpower to call on?"
<Seira> "I would prefer to keep this official and not rely on mercenaries," Seira says, frowning lightly. "Of course, I could check with my friends in the Guard who are currently off duty and see whether they are available."
> A quick nod at that, "If you would. Manpower continues to be a problem at times."
<Seira> "Then my next move is clear to me, Sir." She salutes the Captain. "I'll question the second victim, and proceed from there."
> "Good fortunes to you," Captain Johannes agrees with a nod, as Seira salutes. OOC - Ball's in your court at the moment. What'cha doin'?
<Seira> OOC: Go to that guy, ask him what expensive trinklet he lost, etc
> The Dawn Pointe Inn is still quiet. The butchery besides it continues to do business, a last bleat of a sheep heard, then silence as you go to the inn itself. A woman sits at the counter, yawning deeply. "Hm? City guard, what can I do for you?"
* Seira names the merchant listed in the report, and asks to see him.
> The name is Lyria of Aquaveil. The woman at the desk smothers another yawn, trying not to let her eyes close. "Y..yes, he's here. He mentioned that a guardsman should come and return what was stolen, by the Gods."
<Seira> "I will need his room number, Ma'am. The Guard has follow-up questions for him."
> "Room 3 - oh, it's the one that madman smashed up and some guardsman made him pay for. Oh yes, now that I think of it," she blinks away her sleepiness, "Didn't you come by a few days later to see Febras?"
<Seira> "Oh yes," Seira responds. "So this madman was also staying here? Your clientele is most colorful, Ma'am."
> "Yes, Floor 3, I'm sorry. Room at the end." Wiping at her eyes, "I've had the Godsdamned strangest luck with it."
* Seira nods politely at that, and proceeds to the man's room, where she knocks on the door firmly.
> As Seira walks up and goes from the second story stairs to the third, she notes a familiar face is at the far window. Febras's back is turned to you, staring out at the sunshine and out the window. But beyond that, the way to the room is quiet and without incident.
* Seira decides to go and say hello to Febras later, but for now, she has her duties to attend to.
> On knocking at the door, you only need a few moments to get it thrown open! Inside is a man - he's short, quite short. Barely over five feet tall, stewing and with a short black bear. His skin is darkened by time in the sun, well tanned. His clear blue eyes constract well, and he wears a green tunic. "Finally! Did you get it back?" he asks, giving Seira a once over. "You've come back with my stolen gem and an apology from the city guard, yes?"
> "You've come back with my stolen gem and an apology from the city guard, yes?"'
<Seira> "I need to ask you more questions about your unfortunate loss, Sir," Seira tells him. "Naturally, this will go towards recovering your gem with proper swiftness."
> "Then come in!" He says, standing aside. His movements are quick, hasty, energetic. His eyes roam over you six times over in a few moments, hands opening and closing.
* Seira comes in, and takes a casual glance around the room to catalogue its contents.
<Seira> "Sir, first I must ask you about the purpose of your visit to Balmuria," she begins, taking out her notepad.
> It has brand new furniture, looking quite nice. "Well, I came to buy, sell and talk on my way to Valandia - at great pains I got a travel permit to go that far into Malmuth." He sniffs at that, "Such chances can't be wasted, but I still needed a few days to rest here."
> There's a few bags and a single small treasure chest besides the bed. Otherwise the room's neat and looks new.
* Seira makes a note, nodding to herself. "Where did you come from, then?"
> "From the city of Peshwar, in the great Fiefdoms of the Desert." He huffs at that, "From before that, the reachest past and past. I have travelled quite a ways to see the world and make money, young lass. I will not lose some of it to a petty thief!"
<Seira> "Of course not, Sir," she agrees, nodding once more before resuming her questioning. "Were you traveling alone, Sir? Any hired help? Guards? Apprentices? Family, perhaps?"
> "I don't need those! I can take care of myself." A little humph at that, but swallowed as he goes on, even quicker. "Let me tell you something! The jewel I had was one I haggled from one of your kind, no less! A jewel that gives you real magical power! It's worth enough to buy a dozen lives."
<Seira> "Do you know the proper name of this device?" she asks, unwilling to let such an opening pass by. "Or, alternatively, could you describe its functions in more detail?"
> "A Gem of Imbued Spellcasting! See here!" Aquaveil concentrates a moment, and in front of him a shimmering plane of force. It's about three feet wide or so, conclave. "I tried one myself. Real magic, and you don't even have to learn it. Even if I wasted a few thousand gold that way, it's amazing to see that they really work. Now do you see why it's valuable?"
<Seira> "You had two, and used one on yourself?" she asks to clarify, raising an eyebrow.
> "I had six, used one and I've traded most of the others for other things," He elaborates. "I had one left and it was stolen."
<Seira> "I see." Seira makes more notes on her notepad. "Sir, I would like to ask you to name all those who knew that you possessed these gems, including the people they were sold to."
> "I haven't sold one or told anyone about one sine before the Desert Fiefdoms," Aquaveil shakes his head, "I'd been saving that last one since the spell was 'unique', from what I understand."
<Seira> "What are the spells in question?"
<Seira> roll 1d20+7
<Reiko-chan> Seira rolled : 1d20+7 --> [ 1d20=10 ]{17}
> "Detect Magic, Floating Disc, Acid Arrow, Cure Light Wounds, Shield and Sandalphon's Unerring Projectile - that's the one that was stolen."
* Seira frowns deeply as that spell is named. "I see," she repeats. "Sir, are you absolutely certain you have not mentioned your possession of the orb to anyone in Balmuria, and that no one from the Fiefdoms who could have known of it traveled to Balmuria with you?"
> "I'm quite certain." A shake of his head at that, "Very! I don't go screaming that I have magic! I like not being targetted more than usual1"
<Seira> "Yes, Sir." Seira pauses, considering her next set of questions before venturing forth. "Did you already have a buyer for the last gem?"
> "No. I was saving it. I'd heard of a magic shop in this town, but a mere half hour before I found my gem was stolen!" He growls at that, muttering. "Since it was a unique spell, odds laid that I could get more for that one in particular."
<Seira> "I agree, Sir. That spell is very unique. I did not think it known outside of elven lands." Seira doesn't quite frown this time, instead asking, "Was anything else taken?"
> "No, just that." He looks irate, irritated. "It was the only magic I had on my person now. I'd been going more for gold and regular gems. Easier to carry."
<Seira> "Could we please go over the details of the incident? Where was the gem kept? When did you notice it stolen? Did you notice something, no matter how impossible-sounding, or how insignificant it appeared at the time, which you would like to add to your previous statement?"
> "I kept it in that box there," he points at the small treasure chest. "Under a fake bottom. I noticed it stolen last night and nothing that I can think of."
* Seira proceeds to examine the box carefully.
<Seira> OOC: 20 on search for 26?
> OOC - Yeah, cool.
> Inside are a few scrolls and papers - it looks like records. You find that the bottom is hollow and can be lifted out, a little empty storage space underneath.
* Seira wonders how easy that fake bottom would be to discover.
> OOC - Mmm. Relevant field feels like disable device. Go ahead and make a check on that?
<Seira> roll 1d20+11
<Reiko-chan> Seira rolled : 1d20+11 --> [ 1d20=18 ]{29}
> It's not too hard. Moderately hidden, but a good rouge or thief would likely figure it out in a bit of time.
<Seira> "Sir, can you narrow down the timeframe somewhat?" Seira asks the merchant. "Also, have you been followed lately?"
> "Timeframe of what, and no, not that I've seen. I'd notice something like that!" He hisses at the last, crossing hisa rms.
<Seira> "Of the theft, Sir," she explains patiently. "Rather than the entire night, it might be helpful to know when you last saw the gem, and the time you noticed the loss."
> "Oh, I last saw it when I first got in around midafternoon. I checked it and then went out. I found it was missing around...dusk? A bit past? Into the night."
* Seira nods. "Very well, Sir. Thank you for your time. I will continue my investigation, now."
> "Thank you!" He nods once more, "Find that thief and cut his hands off!"
* Seira bids the man goodbye, and walks down the stairs, pausing outside Febras's room.
> Febras is still at the hallway window. His hat is propped upward just a bit, sunlight presumably streaming at his face.
<Seira> "Hello again," Seira greets the man.
> "Good day," Febras murmurs without turning around, hands at his side. "The sunlight is tolerable today."
<Seira> "It is not tolerable on some days?" she asks conversationally, approaching the hallway window herself.
> "Some days more than others." Febras brings his hands up, rubbing them, rubbing past a plain gold ring on one finger. He bows his head a moment, had sliding down to hide his face. "This city still pleases me. It exceeds my expectations for such a place. I suppose you stay here for such reasons as well, half breed?"
<Seira> "I certainly don't stay here for the insults," she snaps back curtly.
> His shoulder lift up, a dry chuckle escaping his mouth. "I will bear that in mind. What business brings you here?"
<Seira> "I saw a friendly face, I had thought in my naivete, and came to say hello." She frowns, crossing her arms in front of her chest. "Clearly I was mistaken. I shall take my leave, now."
> "Come, I did not mean insult," Febras corrects himself, turning slightly. "My mood is simply curious. Does half breed offend you?"
<Seira> "It does when it comes from someone I don't immediately dismiss as a person," she admits.
> "Then I apologize." He says it quite calmly, "I will not say such again." A pause as he looks up, out at the sky, "Business here this day? The noisy merchant whom claims a great treasure was stolen from him?"
<Seira> "It is quite an expensive loss, and I have no reason to doubt his claims," Seira responds, sighing. "I don't suppose you have witnessed anything or anyone suspicious the day of the theft between midafternoon and dusk?"
> "I was out at the time, I am afraid. I wish I could have helped you more, but I had business elseware." Febras sighs a moment, head bowing down again.
<Seira> "Well, that was not why I came, anyway." Seira shrugs. "If you are bored at the time being, with no business to take care of, would you like to try tracking down the merchant's loss with me? I could offer you a retainer for your trouble, if you so wish."
> "On the outs with your friends," Febras turns, face shadowed, hidden. "I have no objection. Heh...wise men do what they can to help the forces of order."
<Seira> "Not as much, no. But I consider this to be a personal matter. I believe this thief dared to strike during my first official command. That remains a stain on my honor until he is caught by myself."
> "Well then, I suppose. Still..." A stretch by Febras, turning to go. "Would you mind one other? I had wished to inquire with Lyselle about her affected sword at some juncture. The timing is fortutios.""
<Seira> "Not at all," she returns. "I was merely... concerned... that my zeal would be mocked. You might have a point, however. My friends might understand, after all."
> "Mmm." For once, Febras turns. His face is half visible, a little smile on his face. An unusual one, solid. "If they don't understand, are they truly friends?"
<Seira> "It seems we are about to find out," she decides firmly. "Let's go explain the situation to them. I believe the others are off duty right now."
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

> So the party meets in one of the garrison meeting rooms, on request of Seira. As they do, they notice another is here - Febras lingers near the back, leaning against a wall with his hat well down on his face, covering it.
* Shamal is of course a professional, and thus shows no sign of her lingering resentment towards the half-elf as she sits down with a pleasant smile. Laika is left at home, however. "So what did you want to see us for?" she asks nicely.
* Berlioz raises an eyebrow at the presence of Febras, quickly assuming his usual demeanor. "It's a small world. Hello, Febras."
* Lyselle raises an eyebrow at their guest as she finds a chair, sitting carefully and folding her hands. She nods to Shamal's question, looking back to Seira.
<Seira> "If you have no pressing matters to attend to, I was wondering whether you would be interested in bringing a thief to justice," Seira responds, observing her friends for their reactions.
> Febras smiles but faintly, a bare nod to the others as he stays quiet.
<Shamal> "Dispensing justice is what we're paid for," Shamal replies, eyeing Seira speculatively. "Yet I see no sign of our commander. Is this a personal matter, Seira?"
<Berlioz> "I'd question the matter of justice we dispense, but I've spent my language on more productive matters today. Anyhow, what ills your mind, Seira?"
* Seira dips her head. "Correct. I have requested to take on this case, so my actions are sanctioned. I have also been allowed to recruit others for this task, should they be willing to assist." She turns to Berlioz. "The justice will be most swift," Seira tells him, coldness creeping into her voice.
* Lyselle just shrugs, tapping a gloved finger against the pommel of her sword. "What's it about? Other than simply a theft..."
<Seira> "I have two documented cases of theft, where the thief appears to leave without leaving any tracks or witnesses, despite the incidents taking place in public, in one case in broad daylight. I also have good reason to suspect the thief uses magic in their deeds."
<Lyselle> "And how do you propose we locate them if they leave no trail from their crimes?" Lyselle probes curiously, wondering where Seira's going.
<Seira> "Only magical artifacts are being targetted, while gold, gems and other valuables are being left alone," Seira elaborates. "In fact, that is one of the reasons I have to suspect a mage, as it would be hard to believe anyone else would have found a magical artifact before stumbling upon a merchant's small fortune. More to the point, this artifact is most unique. A spell of divination of the second circle would be able to track it specifical
<Seira> A spell of divination of the second circle would be able to track it specifically, not just any object similar to it, which would be irrefutable proof of the theft."
<Shamal> "I don't believe such divinations hold any legal basis," Shamal notes, having had to deal with just such a problem herself recently. "Certainly not without additional evidence of foul play. It does provide a starting point to find such evidence, but by itself would not secure a conviction."
<Seira> "It consitutes probably cause for a search, and finding the artifact in question would be enough to arrest the thief," Seira insists. "The spell used in the creation of the gem is most unique. I have not seen it listed in any of the libraries I perused in my studies of the arcane in Balmuria."
<Shamal> "What does it do?" the blonde witch asks with a note of professional curiousity in her voice.
<Seira> "It works similarly to the magic missile spell, in some ways," Seira responds. "I'm afraid it has been a while since I have seen it last."
> Febras listens, "Mmmph. Magic," he murmurs, "Quite a lot of money in that."
<Seira> "Its range was superior, and it worked better on the unnatural and unholy," Seira adds, straining her memory.
* Shamal nods. "I recently had cause to use the same divination I think you're planning on using - its range does require a solid idea of the item's vicinity to start with. Do you have any such clues?" she asks, shelving the properties of the actual magic missile-alike, since she's not likely to get much more.
<Seira> "On the off chance that the thief is a person who purchased a gem of spell imbuement that allows him to detect magical auras, I wish to visit the Countess. If that turns out to be a dead end, however, I plan on asking her to locate the artifact in question. From my understanding of the divination spell and her abilities, she should be able to cover the city's residential areas." Seira pauses then, glancing at Shamal curiously. "You say you
<Seira> "You say you had cause to use this spell recently?"
<Shamal> "I suppose there must be perks to being her apprentice..." Shamal notes distantly, before collecting herself and nodding. "Yes, a friend of mine lost some scrolls. Unfortunately I think the person who walked off with them went and cast them all by the time I cornered him." She shrugs helplessly, "No evidence, so nothing I could do."
* Seira nods. "Most unfortunate. If she needs new scrolls which you cannot provide to replace the loss, I could talk to the Countess about a discount."
<Shamal> "The ones I couldn't replace are only available to priests," Shamal replies, shaking her head.
* Seira nods once more.
> So the party heads to Countess Stronger's shop. On entering the glittering, etherial place atop the sea breeze swept hill, they find her awaiting. She's going about, fixing up a few scrolls in cases...
<Seira> "Good day, Countess," Seira greets her, bowing once she has her attention.
> The Countess turns, looking over the 5 person strong party. "Oh, Seira, SHamal and company," her eyes linger on Febras a moment, but not long. "Looking to make a purchase?"
* Shamal gives Stronger a small nod of greeting but leaves things to Seira. This is her case, after all.
* Lyselle gives their sometimes employer, sometimes ally a more formalized, but smaller bow, snickering a little at the sales pitch. This was Seira's venture, though.
<Seira> "I need to locate a thief who made off with a unique magical artifact," Seira tells her. "One of these gems of imbuing, in fact, but holding an unusual spell within. I have hoped you could help me, Countess."
> "Oh, are more of those floating around?" Countess STronger cocks her head to the side, a curious little look on her face. "What do you want, then?"
<Seira> "The divination spell of locating objects," Seira responds. "The item is unique enough to allow us to proceed and conduct a search should you point us in the right direction."
> "Oooooh. That's Locate Object..." A quick look to Shamal, "Didn't work out well last time?"
<Shamal> "I did detect the scroll," Shamal nods, "But unfortunately I tipped my hand and gave the person who stole it time to dispose of all the scrolls. By the time I got in his house all I could detect was the lingering aura of a spell recently cast, presumably from him using the scrolls to get rid of them quickly."
<Shamal> She pauses, cocking her head, "Also, it was my first time using the spell, but is it normal for it to make your head ache? I wasn't sure if it was a countermeasure against divination or just something normal."
> "No, that's not normal. That's not normal at all," Countess Stronger goes to the scroll case, getting a scroll out. "Someone's up to something in that case - some sort of fuzzy misdetection or misleading spell. Anyway, if you want this, it's 150 gold."
<Shamal> "Perhaps it bears further investigation, after all," Shamal sighs, rubbing her temples.
<Seira> "I was hoping I could get you to cast the spell yourself, Countess," Seira asks of her. "The merchant did mention wanting to sell the gem to you, and if you were involved in its recovery, perchance he could be persuaded to do it at cost?"
> Countess Stronger considers a moment, but shakes her head. "I'll sell you the scroll, but really, I'd recommend you do it yourselves. Not only do I not want to get involved, it's entirely possible you'll need to cast it more than once. That'll add up quickly."
* Seira nods briefly. "The scroll would do, then. Thank you for your help."
> The money and the scroll are exchanged. "Thank you for doing business with me, Seira." Stronger nods and grins, money going away. "Good luck catching whomever the thief is."
<Seira> "Oh, yes." Seira glances at the merchandise. "Have you sold any of the spell-imbuing gems yet, Countess?"
> "Not yet. I had someone ask about them a few days ago, though." A casual pause, Stronger tapping at her chin. "The gem of detect magic in particular. I got the impression he was interested, but the funds weren't in order."
<Seira> "Ah." Seira makes a curious sound. "It might be relevant to the investigation. Could you tell me more about him?"
> "Middle aged? Very twitchy at first, but calmed down. Had this unibrow thing going for him, totally gray. Seemed to know his magic, but he said he wasn't a spellcaster, just a studier."
* Seira goes over the people she had encountered within the past few days, comparing the image.
> Nothing that Seira really remembers.
<Seira> "Thank you," she repeats, and bids the Countess goodbye, going to decide her path over a map.
> roll 1d20+3
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+3 and gets 8." [1d20=5]
> OOC - Make a caster level check, Seira.
<Seira> roll 1d20+2
* Hatbot --> "Seira rolls 1d20+2 and gets 12." [1d20=10]
> So Seira begins her trip. She zig zags quickly from the docks, but within minutes, finds her way. Despite a headache setting in, painful distractions, she finds herself pulled. To a familiar street, near the Sunset Bakery. Where Roald and family's wares can be smelled, but near it. Towards a new storage shop in particular, quiet.
<Seira> Once she is close enough to it, Seira does her best to blend in, following the pull while doing her best to stay out of sight.
> This leads Seira to the front doors of the storage shop. She can feel it's inside.
* Seira looks for another entrance, one farther from prying eyes!
> Her headache stays steady as she loops around. There's only one narrow alleyway that crooks back to the far side, meeting the back of other buildings.
> Meanwhile, as Seira does this, the time on her spell runs out.
> There look to be no other entrances that Seira sees.
* Seira makes extra certain she stays well out of sight as she continues on her way down the street, looping back through an alternative route once she is reasonably out of sight from the building. She heads to rejoin the others, where she quickly describes the situation.
<Shamal> "What do you propose, then?" Shamal asks.
<Seira> "We go in straight away, using our mandate with the Guard under Balmuria's criminal code. We shall detain everyone on the premises, and search the place from top to bottom, after which we shall find out who is the owner of the property and question them as well," Seira says succinctly.
<Lyselle> "...Think we might want to get the local patrol to help out? We're not precisely well outfitted for prisoner taking," Lyselle points out mildly, tapping the pommel of her sword.
<Seira> "I have a Sleep spell ready," Seira tells her. "We could collect a patrol, yes. What do you expect to get out of them?"
<Shamal> "It is a rather heavy handed approach, but very well, we shall try this," Shamal accedes reluctantly. "Bringing a few more guardsmen will help to ensure they matters seriously and prevent misunderstandings," she agrees with Lyselle, wishing she'd done that before tipping off her own recent suspect.
<Lyselle> "Prisoner guarding if we have to go search things in the warehouse," Lyselle answers simply, shrugging. "Otherwise we'd have to leave someone behind at each juncture, and I don't think any of us are carrying manacles."
<Seira> "I always carry a length of rope with me when I'm on official business," Seira informs Lyselle.
<Shamal> "I left mine at home," Shamal agrees, blushing ever so faintly.
<Seira> "It is to be expected that one of us will sometimes find something lacking. Thus, we compliment each other. That is the good thing about being part of a team."
> Febras hangs back, quiet the entire time. He fingers the hilt of his rapier a bit, but mostly leans hangs back by the docks.
<Lyselle> "Rope is easier to get out of than manacles, particularly for rogues," Lyselle answers, shrugging. "Just my suggestion based on what we may encounter."
<Seira> "I could observe the building while you return with a patrol," Seira proposes. "Both options are equally viable to me. But we should decide soon."
* Lyselle offers a shrug, nodding and heading off to locate the nearest patrol, and abuse her rank into commandeering them for thisoperation.
* Seira returns to the building in question, to observe it from cover.
* Shamal tags along with Seira and casts Detect Magic before making a circuit around the building to see if she can detect any auras within.
* Seira keeps an eye on Shamal as well, on the lookout for anyone being too interested in the druid.
> Lyselle gets a 3 person patrol wtihout incident, spears and breastplate soldiers. Shamal casts detect magic as she reaches the building - no magic is radiating from the building proper. No one's really around the shop, the bakery does all the business here.
<Seira> "Anything?" Seira asks Shamal, rejoining her.
> OOC - Caster level check, Shamal.
> roll 1d20+3
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+3 and gets 20." [1d20=17]
<Shamal> roll 1d20+3
* Hatbot --> "Shamal rolls 1d20+3 and gets 22." [1d20=19]
> Shamal begins to get a headache, but she notest here is a magical aura somewhere inside.
* Shamal marks the location of the aura based on distance from her location outside the building as she tries to identify its strength and school.
<Shamal> OOC: spellcraft, taking 10 for 23
* Lyselle looks curiously to both the mages of their group, just wiaiting for whatever they have to do before storming the place.
> It's faint. It's a blended aura - several schools, just bleeding together.
<Shamal> OOC: Can I tell which particular schools?
> OOC: Transmutation, abjuration, divination.
> OOC: There could be more, but it's a muddied mess.
<Shamal> "I can sense some minor magic in there, something which combines several schools," Shamal explains, wincing a bit and rubbing her temples. "Transmutation, abjuration, and divination... I'd expect Evocation for your magic missile type spell gem, though."
<Shamal> Furrowing her brow, she looks down, "I also have a headache, which makes me wonder if there's another anti-divination effect here. Odd, since I felt fine when I cast detect magic at the house of my last suspected thief."
<Seira> "I have also experienced this effect," Seira admits. "Well, nothing will be gained by waiting here. Shall I connect us with Message before we head inside?"
<Shamal> "If you wish," Shamal nods, continuing to concentrate to maintain her spell as she looks back to check Lyselle and company are ready as well.
* Seira casts it over Lyselle and Shamal after explaining the process to the former in a few words, and then gets to work on unlocking the door.
> OOC: Disable devices, yeah.
<Seira> OOC: Can I take ten for 21?
> OOC: Yeah, sure, it's not particularly hard case.
<Seira> OOC: Onwards, bravely~
> With a bit of effort Seira is able to pop a simple lock on the door. Inside first off is a small square room. There
> OOC - Gah.
> With a bit of effort Seira is able to pop a simple lock on the door. Inside first off is a small square room. There is a table and chairs here, and another, heavier door past this room. There's a few cups on the table and a pitcher of water.
* Seira relies on Shamal for magic-detection for the time being, ready to relieve her when the druid's spell runs out.
<Shamal> "Is no one here?" Shamal wonders at the lack of anyone manning the shop, or whatever it is.
> Febras walks inside, as does Berlioz. Both are being unusually quiet today. Febras does at least look around briefly, hanging back.
<Lyselle> "Well, there's another door..." Lyselle muses, gesturning.
<Seira> "They might be further inside," Seira says, and tells one of the guardsmen to stand watch here, before approaching the second door and giving it a cursory glance for any traps.
> OOC - Search check if you like, Seira.
<Seira> roll 1d20+6
* Hatbot --> "Seira rolls 1d20+6 and gets 10." [1d20=4]
> One of the spear holding guards does just that, taking the outer door.
> Seira doesn't find anything of note on the door, or anything to tip off a trap.
* Seira gives the door a try, checking whether it is locked.
> It appears to be unlocked.
* Seira steps inside!
* Shamal follows Seira, keeping the location of the magical aura she detected in mind if it's no longer in range so that they can move towards it. She also keeps an eye out for any other auras that might show up.
> As Seira opens the door, she hears the tinkle of chimes. Quite metallic and worldly, coming from above the door. In here is a small hallway, about ten feet long or so. After that you can see it opens up into a large backroom full of boxes, but you can't see most of the sides without coming out.
* Lyselle follows in, Shield held before her, though her sword isn't drawn yet. Best not to make bad impressions...really.
> It's kind of dim in here, but not too dim - there are a few candles just inside of the large room, sitting on tables.
* Shamal glances up to see what caused the chimes.
> Shamal notices a few metal chimes have been placed, so rigged to move when the door is opened.
* Seira heads further into the backroom, using the boxes and darkness for cover, on the lookout for anyone.
> OOC - How far out?
<Shamal> "Should we really be so furtive?" Shamal wonders aloud as Seira creeps inside. "We are here on official business, are we not?"
<Seira> OOC: Keeping to the side of the room, intending on making a circle around it.
> OOC - Which side? You're in the hallway feeding out, so you're not even in the proper room to see yet.
<Seira> "We may get to catch them in the act," Seira responds in a whisper, before taking the right side of the room to explore.
> OOC - Go ahead and make move silently/hiding checks sicne you're sneaking out.
<Seira> roll 1d20+11 hide
* Hatbot --> "Seira rolls 1d20+11 hide and gets 20." [1d20=9]
<Shamal> "Act of what?" Shamal mutters under her breath, deciding to nonetheless hang back and let Seira do her thing.
<Seira> roll 1d20+11 move silently
* Hatbot --> "Seira rolls 1d20+11 move silently and gets 13." [1d20=2]
> roll 1d20+5
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+5 and gets 12." [1d20=7]
> roll 1d20+3
> roll 1d20+3
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+3 and gets 17." [1d20=14]
> roll 1d20+3
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+3 and gets 20." [1d20=17]
> roll 1d20+3
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+3 and gets 23." [1d20=20]
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+3 and gets 21." [1d20=18]
* Lyselle stays put since Seira seems bent on stealth. Certainly, three amrored and armed figures wouldn't be good at this...
> roll 1d20+5 hearing
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+5 hearing and gets 24." [1d20=19]
> roll 1d20+3 hearing
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+3 hearing and gets 6." [1d20=3]
> roll 1d20+3 hearing
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+3 hearing and gets 22." [1d20=19]
> roll 1d20+3 hearing
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+3 hearing and gets 10." [1d20=7]
> roll 1d20+3 hearing
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+3 hearing and gets 12." [1d20=9]
> Seira comes out onto the right side of the room! There are lots of boxes here, and five people are in front of one part in particular. You can't get a view of it because they're all in front of it, but you see a middle aged man with a fierce unibrow turn. Besides him are four people, adults but not too much older. One woman and three men, each turning to look! (More)
> "I thought I heard something!" The man with the unibrow rumbles, as one of the men points right at Seira! "There!" (More)
> One is a slightly scruffy man, looking like he hasn't shaved in a day or so. He wears normal clothes, hands already starting to dance as he steps back. "Hm?" he speaks calmly, as a woman with sharp brown hair falls in front of him. She wears a chain shirt, quickly having her hand on the hilt of a sword. The third is a great, hulking man, at least six and a half feet tall! He holds a giant club, wearing stretched out, tight leathers. The last is a normal, non descript man, just a little below six feet tall.
> The last is a normal, non descript man, just a little below six feet tall.
<Seira> "This is the Guard!" Seira announces loudly, her voice echoing in the large room. "You are surrounded! Put your hands up in the air and avoid threatening moves!"
* Lyselle marches forward, taking a more prominent place with Seira and their brought help to add more than a half-elf to the idea of being surrounded.
* Shamal brings up the rear! Probably along with Berlioz.
> "Well..." The man with a unibrow scowls in annoyance, "This is unexpected." He steps back, behind the others. He casually turns his back, going to what the others are in front of - you can catch something that looks like a small box. "Do negotiate with them, would you?"
<Seira> "Come quietly, or we will be forced to use force!" Seira warns the man. "This is your last warning!" An arrow is notched, the bow levelled at his feet.
* Lyselle draws her sword at that, not wanting to be surprised.
> The scruffy one calmly steps forward, familiar to Shamal. "We aren't going to fight," Hamand says, quite calm.
<Seira> "Do not move!" Seira commands. "Get down on your knees with your hands in the air!"
> The man with the unibrow calls back, "Well then. Good day, United Baronies," he speaks casually, then begins to speak! "Zephyr of the forgotten winds, banished by the rage of the Gods. Come forth and travel with me, on the wings of etherial light!"
> Meanwhile, the other four just stand there, in front of him and starting to raise their hands.
<Seira> The bow is immediately raised, the arrow released!
<Seira> roll 1d20+9
* Hatbot --> "Seira rolls 1d20+9 and gets 29." [1d20=20]
<Seira> roll 1d20+9
* Hatbot --> "Seira rolls 1d20+9 and gets 14." [1d20=5]
> OOC - Damage. Non crit.
<Seira> roll 1d8+1
* Hatbot --> "Seira rolls 1d8+1 and gets 3." [1d8=2]
<Seira> "Stop him!" she calls out, just as the arrow is released.
> roll 1d20+10
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+10 and gets 28." [1d20=18]
* Lyselle rushes him at the same time, trying to bowl him over with her shield.
> OOC - You can, Lyselle, bu tyou'll have to rush past those other four.
<Shamal> OOC: Can I summon something?
<Lyselle> OOC - I'll rush past them. Unless they have Quick Draw, they can't AoO me without taking AoOs. >_>
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

GM note: There was a slight time rollback from the end of the last post to this one, about a round or so. Bad GM organization, basically.

> > "Well..." The man with a unibrow scowls in annoyance, "This is unexpected." He steps back, behind the others. He casually turns his back, going to what the others are in front of - you can catch something that looks like a small box. "Do negotiate with them, would you?"
> <Seira> "Come quietly, or we will be forced to use force!" Seira warns the man. "This is your last warning!" An arrow is notched, the bow levelled at his feet.
> * Lyselle draws her sword at that, not wanting to be surprised.
> > The scruffy one calmly steps forward, familiar to Shamal. "We aren't going to fight," Hamand says, quite calm.
> <Seira> "Do not move!" Seira commands. "Get down on your knees with your hands in the air!"
> OOC - Roll initiative now so that there can be some sort of order.
<Lyselle> roll 1d20+2
* Hatbot --> "Lyselle rolls 1d20+2 and gets 9." [1d20=7]
<Berlioz> roll 1d20+1 ohpleaseletmebefasterthankongol
* Hatbot --> "Berlioz rolls 1d20+1 ohpleaseletmebefasterthankongol and gets 17." [1d20=16]
<Shamal> roll 1d20+2
* Hatbot --> "Shamal rolls 1d20+2 and gets 12." [1d20=10]
> roll 1d20+9 Febras/NPC-chan
* Hatbot --> "Anastasia rolls 1d20+9 Febras/NPC-chan and gets 10." [1d20=1]
> roll 1d20+0 big guy
* Hatbot --> "Anastasia rolls 1d20+0 big guy and gets 17." [1d20=17]
> roll 1d20+3 girl
* Hatbot --> "Anastasia rolls 1d20+3 girl and gets 21." [1d20=18]
<Seira> roll 1d20+4
* Hatbot --> "Seira rolls 1d20+4 and gets 17." [1d20=13]
> roll 1d20+5 Hamand
* Hatbot --> "Anastasia rolls 1d20+5 Hamand and gets 17." [1d20=12]
> roll 1d20+2 mr non descript
* Hatbot --> "Anastasia rolls 1d20+2 mr non descript and gets 13." [1d20=11]
> roll 1d20+4 Mr mage
* Hatbot --> "Anastasia rolls 1d20+4 Mr mage and gets 22." [1d20=18]
* Retrieving #dunes modes...
>  The man with the unibrow calls back, "Well then. Good day, United Baronies," he speaks casually, then begins to speak! "Zephyr of the forgotten winds, banished by the rage of the Gods. Come forth and travel with me, on the wings of etherial light! Zephyr, I call on the pact!" The words spill out, coming! OOC - Seira, since you made such a point of having a projectile shot ready, you can choose to shoot if you wish.
<Seira> OOC: New roll?
> OOC: Yeah, I think so.
<Seira> roll 1d20+9
* Hatbot --> "Seira rolls 1d20+9 and gets 13." [1d20=4]
<Shamal> roll 1d20+13 spellcraft
* Hatbot --> "Shamal rolls 1d20+13 spellcraft and gets 30." [1d20=17]
* Seira shoots! It's what she does when people ignore her clear and easy-to-follow instructions!
> You feel a warm gust of wind, blowing onto the wizard! He shimmers like the summer air hanging heavy over the city, rippling away and through the wall, gone in an instant! Seira's shot is quick enough, but her aim fails entirely, whizzing by him.
> The girl glances back as the man teleports away, but raises her hands.
* Seira is visibly angered, but does not shoot the complying people.
<Seira> "Cuff them," she commands, nodding at the guardsmen present.
* Lyselle sighs, rubbing at the bridge of her nose, and eyeing the accomplices. Why would they comply so easily? Especially when he just teleported away...
> There is some lingering magic where the wizard was. The guards come forward, the four not offering resistance. You here Febras click his tongue in his mouth, smiling a little bit.
<Shamal> "A teleport spell?" Shamal mutters, sounding a bit distressed. If he could cast such magic, things might have gone poorly for them if he'd fought...
> Hamand turns to Shamal, face calm, deathly unmoving. He merely smiles.
* Shamal meets Hamand's gaze with a cold expression of her own, letting the guardsmen do their work in detaining the suspects.
> This seems to go well, takinga way weapons and tying them up. They aren't really resisting at all now, almost placid.
<Seira> "Take them into custody," Seira tells the guardsmen. "Solitary confinement for each." Her gaze lands on the woman in the chainshirt. "Except for her. Leave her here."
> The woman stays - trying to be calm, but her lips twitch a little bit.
<Seira> "There is no need to worry, yet," Seira tells the woman. "Cooperation will pave the way towards redemption and a lightened sentence." Her eyes glint menacingly. "Make no mistake about it. There will be cooperation."
* Berlioz quietly mutters a couple dystics, staying somewhat hidden behind the others, casting Detect Thoughts.
> 1st round for Berlios: SHe does indeed have thoughts. Stunning.
> The woman looks on coolly, dead at Seira but not quite, just away from her eyes.
> 2nd round for Berlioz: Int 16 for the woman.
<Seira> "Fine," Seira snaps out. Several words follow, a few gestures that are perhaps a bit too rough, and Seira tries to get the other woman under her thrall.
> roll 1d20 (I should have known better than forget to do her will save, sec for me to total that if the dice roll doesn't determine it outright. Also, waht's your DC, Berli?)
* Hatbot --> "Anastasia rolls 1d20 (I should have known better than forget to do her will save, sec for me to total that if the dice roll doesn't determine it outright. Also, waht's your DC, Berli?) and gets 17." [1d20=17]
> roll 1d20 will save for charm person
* Hatbot --> "Anastasia rolls 1d20 will save for charm person and gets 18." [1d20=18]
> Berlioz cannot detect thoughts. The woman just tosses her hair defiantly, staying put and matching a cool but shaking gaze at SEira.
<Seira> There is a harsh edge in Seira's voice when she speaks. "Fine, we'll do this the hard way."
* Berlioz squints his eyes, trying to scry the surface of the others' minds.
> That would require Berlioz to follow along outside with them.
* Berlioz follows.
* Seira waits for Berlioz to leave, half-turning to follow him with her eyes, while in her pocket, a pearl glows. So do Seira's eyes, when she suddenly looks back at the chained woman!
> Berlioz does follow! So he attemps to scry their minds...OOC - PM, Berli.
> roll 1d20 will save big guy
* Hatbot --> "Anastasia rolls 1d20 will save big guy and gets 12." [1d20=12]
> roll 1d20 will save non descript
* Hatbot --> "Anastasia rolls 1d20 will save non descript and gets 9." [1d20=9]
> roll 1d20 will save Hamand
* Hatbot --> "Anastasia rolls 1d20 will save Hamand and gets 7." [1d20=7]
> roll 1d20 charm person save
* Hatbot --> "Anastasia rolls 1d20 charm person save and gets 17." [1d20=17]
> The woman just stands there, blinking a bit before throwing her gaze at Seira, even rougher.
<Seira> "You seem intelligent," Seira tells her, reigning in her temper without leaving a mention of it on her features. "Why would you work for a man who deserts you so?"
> "He's given us a great gift." Shes ays this, short and to the point. After that, half sits down, half falls voer, getting onto her rear. "I have nothing more to say."
<Seira> "You will talk," Seira informs her calmly. "It is only a matter of time. In fact, I believe you will start by telling us your name."
> Febras leans against the back boxes, watching on. "I daresay that it sounds like a young fool."
<Shamal> As Seira plays bad cop, Shamal enters the fray! "You'll have to forgive my colleague, but she takes her job very seriously," she smiles engagingly at the woman. "However, you have to realise how it reflects on you to be in such company, especially when his rapid departure was tantamount to an admission of guilt."
<Shamal> roll 1d20+8 diplomacy!
* Hatbot --> "Shamal rolls 1d20+8 diplomacy! and gets 17." [1d20=9]
> "Nerylish." She speaks calm and flat, trying to burn a hole in Seira's head with her eyes.
* Berlioz grumbles and keeps following the grunts, paying attention to their thoughts. Something seemed suspicious about that non-descript person...
<Seira> "Most seriously," Seira affirms, nodding curtly at Shamal's words. "Your employer's crimes are well-established. Your assosiation with him is punishable under the Balmuria penal code. Only a full confession would provide relief." She smirks uncharacteristically, her expression smug. "The only question is who cooperates first. I shall enjoy watching you all fall over each other to be that first."
<Lyselle> Seeing that the rest of her colleagues are doing their more involved work, Lyselle begins to slowly search the entire building, taking her time and leaving no detail untouched... OOC - Taking 20 if that's allowable, since we have time now.
<Seira> roll 1d20+12
* Hatbot --> "Seira rolls 1d20+12 and gets 20." [1d20=8]
> Nerylish just shrugs. SHe doesn't look the least bit impressed. OOC - Lyselle, we'll PM it up in a bit since your search will take time.
<Seira> "We'll see whether solitary confinement would improve on your disposition," Seira tells her condescendingly, and turns away, marching outside to follow Berlioz and the other prisoners.
<Shamal> With Seira gone, Shamal helps Nerylish to her feet. "Come on, let's go," she says, repressing a sigh.
> Nerylish just gets up, beign lead along and to the jails. OOC - Is anyone going to do anything or try to keep chatting with her or the others?
* Seira will make sure each of them really are in solitary confinement and in manacles even while jailed! Then, she'll report to the captain!
<Shamal> "So, what great gift did Mr Monobrow give you anyway?" Shamal asks flippantly as she escorts Nerylish in irons through the streets of Balmuria.
> Nerylish looks away, quite content in ignoring SHamal.
* Berlioz sighs and whispers to the little half-elf that could. "Where did you find these strange people, Seira?"
<Shamal> "Let me guess, he gave you some limited spellcasting ability?" the blonde asks, making a guess from what Seira said was stolen. Those imbued gems sure seem to have become a hot topic lately. "The perfect way to skip over the years of pain and study that a real mage must endure?"
> Nerylish twitches a bit at that, but stays silent...
<Shamal> "Hmph," Shamal shakes her head. "I almost wonder if he's a real wizard, or just got lucky and found one of those gems that gave him the ability to teleport. What a prize that'd be... most of the ones I've seen are lucky if they can mimic simple cantrips."
> Despite the temptation, Nerylish does not reply. But she looks irritated, chewing at her lip...
<Shamal> "Still, even a cantrip can impress, in the right circumstances. Some washed up apprentices can make a good living by juggling magical balls of light on street corners, or conjuring rays of frost to chill people's drinks. I'm sure whatever gift he gave you must be at least that useful, right?" Shamal blithely continues to ramble on as they stroll towards the garrison.
> With the thieves locked away in  handy jail cells, the party gathers to Commander Oberuth. On his request, the Captain of the Guard noting that he's gotten wind of this via report and is curious. So the group does just that, the Commander's arms crossed but smiling a bit. "Well, you're keeping busy," he observes to the group once they're all seated. "Report."
<Seira> "Sir!" Seira comes to attention. "Our investigation of the recent thefts of magical items throughout Balmuria lead us to a store, where we had conclusive proof that one of them was being kept. Upon entering the premises and announcing ourselves as members of the Guard, we attempted to place the thieves under arrest. The man we believe to be their leader, however, used a spell of teleportation before we could stop him." She pauses. "I belie
<Seira> "I believe more information could be raised out of the four we have placed in solitary."
<Shamal> "One of them is also suspected of stealing several scrolls from the Temple of Waukeen," Shamal chimes in. "The one named Hamand. Unfortunately I could get no evidence on my initial investigations, but his connection with this incident makes his guilt far more likely."
* Berlioz coughs. "I am not terribly sure if this will be very useful. But I managed to scry some surface thoughts from the boys, and I have a name for their seeming master."
<Shamal> "What's that, Berlioz?" Shamal prods curiously.
> Commander Oberuth raises one eyebrow at that, ruddy cheeks lighting up. "Magic thieves? WEll then," he grunts considerably. "Hmm, tell me about that, Berlioz. Magic fights magic best."
<Berlioz> In order to answer to the blonde witch, the bard continues. "The dim-witted grunt seemed rather unconcerned with his arrest. He was sure that 'master Irenes' would save them. We might also want to keep an eye on that non-descript boy. He seems to actually know magic arcana."
<Seira> "Inept magic thieves," Seira says with disdain, before remembering where she is. "Sir, there must be more to this than a mere desire to steal a few scrolls and gems of minor spell imbuing. I cannot for the life of me see why so highly skilled a mage would bother with such things."
<Shamal> "Those gems are hardly cheap. Though I think the scroll theft may have been a crime of opportunity," Shamal posits.
<Lyselle> "There was a box with some spell components and random writings...almost a waste basket, actually, but the mages might be able to get something otu of all that nonesense," Lyselle adds quietly, shrugging. "Maybe they were trying to learn how to make them? I don't know how advanced Malmuth is."
<Seira> "They are not, no," Seira agrees. "Yet we are led to believe that he used most of them, if not all, on his apprentices which he then proceeded to abandon."
<Shamal> "Yes, that is especially odd," Shamal agrees, nodding thoughtfully.
<Seira> "I respectfully request that the thieves be under constant guard, or held in a place protected from scrying, if we can manage that, Sir," Seira adds.
<Seira> "You believe the culprits to be from Malmuth?" she asks of Lyselle, then.
<Lyselle> "That's my intuitive jump," Lyselle admits with a shrug. "They may be simple crooks, but in such a case, we should be able to contact other mages...the community isn't particularly enormous, is it? And someone as powerful as this man should be known if he was one of ours..."
<Shamal> roll 1d20+8
* Hatbot --> "Shamal rolls 1d20+8 and gets 12." [1d20=4]
<Seira> roll 1d20+8
* Hatbot --> "Seira rolls 1d20+8 and gets 16." [1d20=8]
> Oberuth nods once more, pondering these words, deeply, thoughtfully. "I don't think we can do much about that scrying business easily, but go ahead and look into this. IT might be Malmuth, it might be crooks, it might be a lot of things. Let's try and narrow down what it is."
<Seira> "Commander, one of the larger temples may be able to accomodate us on this, if you gave us leave to approach them with an official request."
> "Go ahead and get a price. WE can't afford that much, but we do have a few funds for just such an emergency." The Commander considers, "If the thieves were using magic, how did you find them in the first place?"
<Seira> "That is part of the reason I consider them inept, Sir," Seira responds. "I used a spell of divination they could block, but for some reason did not. Both Shamal and I experienced minor headaches upon tracking the place with magic, so perhaps they relied on some other, less effective method."
> "Mages..." Oberuth shakes his head, snorting before he laughs a bit. "It sounds like they used a dagger when a longsword was apt."
<Shamal> "A locate object spell to find the stolen item in each case," Shamal supplies. "Alas in mine it was a scroll, and Hamand had time to use it, which destroys the scroll, before I searched his house. The spell, like most divination, can be blocked with a simple lead screen."
> "Heh. Well then," Commander Oberuth considers that, stroking his chin. "See what you can shake up and report back when you're done."
<Seira> "This brings up an interesting point, Sir," Seira interjects. "While we failed to recover the stolen items, are we to auction off the property and personal items of value the thieves have, so that their victims would receive restitution?"
<Shamal> "We need a conviction first," Shamal points out. "We're not at that stage yet, Seira."
> "We'll let the lawmen and bookkeepers hassle that out. The investigation is just beginning." A nod of agreement, "Horse is just a bit ahead of the cart."
<Seira> "Of course, Sir."
> "Now then, get to work," Oberuth instructs you, standing. "Seira, also, come with me a moment."
* Seira nods, and follows obediently.
* Berlioz silently nods and leaves the room, obeying orders.
> Out of the room and away you go. The others are left behind, Oberuth silent until you're walking down a quiet, forgotten hall in the garrison. A few windows left in light, but it's mostly quiet. "Seira, until further notice, what I say here is to be kept to yourself."
* Seira listens intently, nodding once more.
> "We're considering a serious diplomatic mission to the elven lands. I believe we touched on this possibility before." OBeruth's hands are behind his back, his red face framed into seriousness. "You're a natural choice for it."
* Seira is confident more is to come, and does not comment at this time.
> "Lord Salman's interest has turned to these matters - the capital is calm from all reports. Balmuria is living on the bleeding edge of our nation and attention is slowly beginning to be focused here. With a Malmuth we don't entirely trust, it's natural to look for any sort of ally or assistance where we can."
<Seira> "The idea is to offer the elven nation an alliance similar to that Malmuth wished to secure, Sir?" she asks succinctly.
> "Uncertain at this time - there's still a lot of internal disagreement. It will also depend on how our first efforts are met." At this, Oberuth pauses, looking you in the eye. "In time, you're going to be asked officially. But unofficially...well?"
<Seira> "I will not turn down an assignment, Sir. You can count on that," she vows.
> Oberuth nods once, thoughtful. "Alright, Seira. Dismissed, go catch up with the others. Keep this to yourself, remember."
<Seira> "Of course, Sir." She salutes, and leaves as ordered.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

> So Shamal and Seira prepare, outside the jail cells. There's space here yet, chances to prepare as the jailers wait on the two lieutenants to be ready. It's a quiet and dirty place, only the occasional cry of a prisoner or a laugh over guards joking with each other providing any distraction.
> Berlioz also tags along, the three magic users of the party gathering together.
<Shamal> "I can make it harder for them to resist your spells, but the effect will only last a few minutes," Shamal cautions. "So please get your casting done before my spell wears off."
<Seira> "A few minutes is all I will require," Seira responds, thanking Shamal.
* Shamal nods as she begins to cast. "Mielikki, please grant these unworthy servants with cunning and insight beyond their years, and a healthy respect for nature if it's not asking too much..."
> The guards wait, waiting for instruction on where to lead the heroes.
<Seira> "We are to see Nerylish," Seira says, supplying the name.
> The guards nod quickly, leading you to the closest cell. A heavy wooden door with a single barred grate is here, "They've all been isolated," the guard reports dutifully.
<Seira> "Excellent. Do you check up on them often?"
> "Every hour," The guard goes to unlock the door, swinging it open. Inside, Nerylish sits on the ground, hands and ankles bound with manacles. An untouched plate of food is on the ground besides her, old bread and slightly green meat. She looks downward, hidden inthe shadows.
* Seira uses the spell on her before making an appearance, seeking the chance to surprise her.
> roll 1d20+3 what's your DC?
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+3 what's your DC? and gets 5." [1d20=2]
<Seira> OOC: 18 haha
* Seira strolls in after casting Charm Person on the prisoner, and takes a look around the barren cell. "Did you have enough time to reflect on your actions?" she asks curiously.
> The cell is bare except for a matting of hay to lay on. Nerylish looks up, a deep, snotty snort. "I don't care. I did exactly what I wanted to do."
* Berlioz mutters his typical dystics muffledly, casting Detect Thoughts.
> roll 1d20+3 getting to the point since Berli has plenty of time, and what's your DC now?
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+3 getting to the point since Berli has plenty of time, and what's your DC now? and gets 7." [1d20=4]
<Seira> "It seems I was not entirely clear the other day," Seira casually informs the manacled prisoner, casually leaning against a no-doubt grimy wall. "The crime which you are being charged with is punishable by death. On top of that, we have all the evidence we need to convict you and your three accomplices. When I mentioned cooperation, my desire was to spare you this uncomfortable, undeniable reality." She shrugs, then. "I have the power to d
<Seira> "I have the power to do that."
> "Are you kidding?" Nerylish looks up, a momentary flash of anger. "So, you should know I can't do that! Master Irenes, he gave us something wonderful."
<Seira> "He gave you something that was stolen," Seira points out calmly. "If everyone were to grant themselves such wonderful gifts, civilization would dissolve into anarchy." She spreads out her arms. "I am not your enemy, here. Neither is the law."
<Seira> roll 1d20+12
* Hatbot --> "Seira rolls 1d20+12 and gets 24." [1d20=12]
> "Master Irenes' gift is more important!" Nerylish looks up, eyes bright. "Magic's more important than the law!"
> Nerylish shakes her head, "Master Irenes, he'd help you if you asked. He's incredible, he's cracked the greatest secrets of the universe."
* Seira rubs her chin thoughtfully. "This presents us with a problem. Your Master Irenes refused to stay behind and answer questions."
> "He's busy and he said he had so many things to do, so he couldn't be slowed down here." A sigh there, Nerylish shaking her head, "He said he'd come back for us, and I'm sure he'd help you, too."
<Seira> "Did he say when? Or where he was going?"
> "He said he had a lot of things to do, but he'd come back because the greatest treasures in all the world were near here."
> Nerylish sniffles a moment, "I can wait."
* Seira looks puzzled. "Why did he not approach ourselves, or any of this city's high mages with an offer, or with a request for help? Would Balmuria's finest not wish to be part of the greatest adventure in recent times?"
> "Share with you?" A shake of his head, "Master Irenes said he has to be the one to reach the bottom. Others wouldn't be strong enough without him."
<Seira> "I remain confused," Seira tells her. "He clearly recruited you four, correct?"
> "We're special. It's because Master Irenes helped us. I'm sure he'd help you, but..." Nerylish pauses there, frowning. "Just...that...Master Irenes said that he has to be the one."
<Seira> "I see." Seira pauses briefly, collecting her thoughts before launching the next wave of questions. "Do you know what the criteria for being chosen by Master Irenes are? Are there, in fact, more of you who have been chosen by him?"
> A shake of her head, "He chose us. He's the Master, he just...knows, because he can cast magic." Nerylish looks away again, down at the floor.
<Seira> "Which gifts did he give you four, specifically?" Seira asks her. "It is important for us to know. Misunderstandings between the guards stationed here and your friends might prove dangerous to the latter."
> "John...he can change. Different - he can become totally different." A nod there, "That was the Master's first gift. He can even look like a woman or a tall adolescent. I can...see things. I can see magic. It surrounds things, consumes them."
<Seira> "When you look at me, what do you see?" Seira asks curiously.
> "Hamand.he's just...you can't make him afraid any more. Ever. He's so in control, and Gregort? He's a giant." A nod, a strong, quick nod there. "All because of Master Irenes...hm?" The woman concentrates a moment, narrowing her eyes. "Magic's on you, too."
<Seira> "Can you tell the more minute details? The kinds and strength of magical auras? Has he taught you that?"
> "Not yet. Master Irenes said he could teach me!" A quiet little nod there, thoughtful. "It takes a lot of study."
<Seira> "Yes it does," Seira agrees with a level nod of her head. "Yet if the gift is a shortcut, what manner of shortcut is it if study is required to master it nonetheless?"
> "It's the gift of magic! It's not a shortcut!" Nerylish bites back quickly.
<Seira> "Can you use your gift to do more than just see the magic?"
> "Not yet, but he promised that one day..." A trailing off, "He showed us a few tricks. Controlling animals, making something stronger, even a lighting bolt. I know I'll be able to do that when he comes back."
<Seira> "I see. Would that happen with further gifts, or by learning to control the one you currently have? Similarly... Hamand and Gregort. Were they gifted by Master Irenes? If so, are they altered permanently, unlike you and John, or can they turn their gifts off, so to speak?"
> "Uh huh. I told you. It just seems to be. It's magic!" Nerylish smiles at that, "Magic doesn't need to have time limitso r change, he said - some of it makes things so."
<Seira> It is easy for Seira to agree with that statement. "Truth. However, I remain confused. Will you require additional gifts before you can control animals or throw a lightning bolt, to name two examples?"
> "I..." Nerylish shakes her head, "Master Irenes said he'd show us how."
<Seira> "How did he first show you how to use your gift?" Seira questions. "Did it happen when you first met? Much afterwards?"
> "He..." Nerylish pauses, "Should I really talk about it? Master Irenes said other people won't really understand it."
* Seira holds out her right arm, palm up, and a small globe of light springs into being an inch above it. "I'll understand," Seira says dryly. "Do continue, please."
> "Ooooh! Well..." Nerylish blushes, "Master Irenes, he...just...he did a ritual. He broke a gem into a glass and has us drink it. He said it was the first step to learning magical power."
* Seira nods thoughtfully. "Was there a second step?"
> "No, he said that was the start and then...that's magic!" A nod by NErylish. "He said you have to have the gift to use magic, but almost no one has it anymore."
<Seira> "Curious." Seira ponders her next step. "Did you know any of the others before meeting Master Irenes?"
> A nod, "We all knew each other." Nerylish smiles, "He said it was unusual to see a group of people with the potential together, butthat it seems to be happening more lately."
<Seira> "You all met Master Irenes together?"
> A nod, quick. "Hamand met him first and then we all did." A small nod at that, "It just..happened."
<Seira> "When, if I might ask?"
> "It was a..." A deep frown at that, "A few weeks ago? It's all been so busy since them.":
<Seira> "Hamand brought Master Irenes back to your home, where the rest of you met him a few weeks ago?" she asks to clarify.
> A nod to that.
<Seira> "You said that there was a concentration of magical sites at this area, and it was the reason that Master Irenes would return?" Seira asks, changing tracks.
> "The ruins," Nerylish smiles and nods, "Seira, this is funny...you're a friend, aren't you? It's just so nice to talk to you."
<Seira> "I can be a pleasant conversationalist when off duty," Seira informs her. "Having spoken to you, I do find myself reassessing you and your friends." She shakes her head, then. "But there will be time for all that later. For now, what can you tell me about the ruins?"
> "They're full of 'old magic', that's what Irenes said. He said what was in the bottom was the most powerful magic in the world." A solid, small nod at that, "He said there was even a sword there that could grant any wish, or a bracelet that made you heal faster than a troll, and those weren't even the real things of power."
<Seira> "What else did he say?"
> "That he was going to figure it out and go there." A sure nod at that, "I know he will, no matter who has has to go to."
> *he has
<Seira> "Do you know where the ruins are?"
> "They're just west of town - the ruins that are being explored and you hear about them occasionally."
<Seira> "The way you spoke made me think of several locations," Seira elaborates. "Are there additional ruins?"
> "I...don't know," Nerylish said after a moment.
<Seira> "He never spoke of more ruins than those west of town?"
> A shake of Nerylish' head after that.
<Seira> "I can't believe I forgot to ask this. Master Irenes must be very talented and strong in the arcane. What is the strongest spell you have seen him use?"
> "He said the one that moved him on the wind was very powerful. He can go from here to anywhere with it, he said! From the Desert Fiefdoms to home to Malmuth, even." A slight frown at that, irritated.
<Seira> "Did he get it from a gem, like you did your ability?"
> "I don't know," Nerylish shrugs. "He knows so much more about magic than I do."
<Seira> "Yes, such is often the case between master and apprentice." Seira nods for good measure. "Have you ever seen him study spells from a book? Memorize them?"
> "You mean like magic books? HE did once to show us, but he said that's only one way to do it." A small nod at that, agreeable as the charm person holds her attention well.
<Seira> "Do you know where he kept his magic books?" she asks, unable to resist.
> "No," Nerylish admits, looking down.
<Seira> "I suppose I'll have to ask him when I see him," Seira says, somewhat down but not showing it. "Was he staying with you at your home when he wasn't in Malmuth?"
> "He stayed here he wanted. He can go where he wants, remember?" A quick, happy nod at that. "Just with those words."
<Seira> "Have you seen him travel that way more than once per day, then?" Seira asks in surprise.
> Nerylish thinks, "I'm not sure," she admits after thinking a few mometns.
<Seira> "Never mind, then. Did Master Irenes ever mention any names? People or places?"
> "No, not really. He doesn't talk about himself that much..."Nerylish says after a little more thought.
<Seira> "Not even where he was staying in Malmuth, or with whom? Where home was?"
> Nerylish shakes her head yet again, the time passing by as you chat. "He said it wasn't important."
<Seira> "What about 'Ankisoth'? Has he ever mentioned that word?"
> "Ankisoth?" A thought by her, "Maybe?" A frown, thinking, "It sounds sort of familiar."
<Seira> "What do you think when you hear that?"
> "It's familiary," Nerylish shrugs, as the time passes by. A fair bit has as Seira talks, surely the durations on her spells starting to be pushed.
<Seira> "I felt a strange headache when I approached that store you were gathering at. Do you know why that was?"
> "Oooh! That! Master Irenes said that he has a special spell. It would stop lots of things, from my vision to finding spells to all of that. He said it's not the strongest, but it works on almost everything."
<Seira> "Did you and your friends have other gathering places, besides your home and that store?"
> "That was it," Nerylish nods, "That was all of it. Nice places, don't you think?"
<Seira> "Yes, very. It is a nice area. I might purchase property there, myself." Seira ponders. "Did you hide or conceal anything at either your home, that store, or elsewhere? A journal? Anything else?"
> "No," A shake of her head, "There was the box, but...that was it."
<Seira> "I see," Seira says at length. "Now comes the hard part. I need to know everything about how you and your master got the scrolls and gems."
> Information comes, Seira listening. (Talked about OOC in PM, glazing over here.) Eventualy it ends, Seira coming out to finally rejoin her friends.
* Seira indicates for them to follow her far enough out of the cell so that they wouldn't be overheard, first.
* Berlioz coughs. "The girl is a bit transparent, come to think of it."
<Seira> "If by that you mean she is so smitten it borders on an unnatural mental influence, perhaps even crossing into it...."
<Shamal> "Never cast that on me, by the way," Shamal chimes in.
<Seira> "I have a habit of not casting friend-making spells on friends," Seira affirms.
* Berlioz nods. "Not only that, but her surface thoughs tended to come out as she spoke to you. She's clearly conflicted and confused, to the point that it's really obvious that this Irenes is simply using her and her comrades to do whatever bidding he's trying to achieve."
* Shamal decides not to ruin the moment by making clear her lingering resentment over Rin's death and reactions thereof.
<Seira> "I believe we should take a look at them with magical sight, to try and determine any foreign influences on their minds," Seira suggests. "It might work best with all three of us trying. Also--" she turns towards Shamal, "I have found out that the headaches we experienced were caused by Irenes's spell to foil detection. I do not believe the phenomenon will occur now."
<Shamal> "I detected no magic upon any of them yesterday," the blonde observes.
<Berlioz> "She knows very little herself, and she seems to think of Irenes as some kind of special person. Didn't think magic itself would impress your typical simpleton as much as it does, but I guess hanging around the Crimson Guard does that. On the other hand... we should keep an eye on any mystical ruins around this region. Nerylish's thoughts waned towards nearby ruins, brimming with lost arcana."
<Seira> "I merely urge this as a precaution," Seira says in response, nodding at the blonde's words. "True, it is likely to come up empty, but it costs us nothing. And we could have been influenced by Irenes's spell at the time." She frowns, then. "Also, we must command the guards to place the prisoner John in chains. He can alter his form via a disguise, and I dare not conclude it is only visual, and not a true change."
<Seira> "It would not hurt to reinforce the large man's chains and cell as well," she adds after a brief moment of consideration.
* Shamal nods in agreement with Seira's conclusions. "For all that the spells they appear to have been granted are minor ones, it still seems extremely odd for this Irenes to gift them upon these people and then abandon them."
<Seira> "He is capable of tracking them down and returning. That, however, will likely come later rather than sooner." Her attention captured by Berlioz's words, Seira says, "The only ruins she spoke of were the ones our country is exploring, off to the west. Perhaps the Commander will send us there for reconnaissance once we report back to him."
* Berlioz nods. "We might want to deal with... John, yes? When I scryed his thoughts earlier, he seemed... quite altered. He was actually thinking magical words, in an otherwise incomprehensible language. He might provide a better standpoint for how much influence Irenes may hold."
<Seira> "He was the first... human experiment," Seira says, her face twisting in disgust at the words.
<Shamal> "I have an idea or two for dealing with Hamand thanks to the information we just learned, but I'll need time to prepare," Shamal begins, before blinking at Seira's phrasing. "What were the other experiments?" she asks worriedly.
<Seira> "Nerylish only knew of herself and the other three," Seira supplies. "I cannot fathom they were the only ones, however. It would make no sense to conduct such delicate research in what amounts to enemy territory." A moment later, she elaborates, "Nerylish believes Irenes to hail from Malmuth. While my research revealed that he was not born there, he was indeed seen there somewhat recently. This is troubling." She eyes the prison's corridor
<Seira> She eyes the prison's corridor, then. "I will brief you fully. First, though, let us conclude our business in this place."
* Shamal nods, content to follow Seira's lead for now.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

> So the group meets with the Commander again. It's a pleasant day outside, and inside your Commander slams down a large drink of water as you enter. "Come in, come in. Progress report?"
> So the group meets with the Commander again. It's a pleasant day outside, and inside your Commander slams down a large drink of water as you enter. "Come in, come in. Progress report?"
<Seira> After the customary salute, Seira details the high points of her interrogation of the female prisoner, having briefed the others along the way, while adding Berlioz's insight from reading the woman's mind during said interrogation and their own conclusions to the facts of the case.
<Seira> "And so, it may yet be another attempt by Malmuth to gain power, Sir. We cannot discount the possibility that this Irenes is their agent."
> "It makes sense in a very roundabout sort of way," Oberuth strokes his chin, scowling. "Assuming there are motives we don't understand, I can believe that. WEll then...those damned ruins, eh?"
<Seira> "Sir," Seira states firmly, "I have been assigned this case and I do not consider it closed. May we have your permission to depart for the ruins and attempt to intercept Irenes there?"
> "Do you believe he's heading there?" Commander Oberuth interjects right away.
<Seira> "Eventually," Seira concedes. "Not necessarily now, true. We cannot support such a claim with facts. But my instinct is telling me it is important for us to head there without delay, Commander."
> Commander Oberuth considers, his voice slow. "The word about the ruins makes a bit of popular rumor, but..." He strokes his chin again, "You haven't heard the reports from in there, have you?"
* Seira is respectfully curious. "Sir?"
> Looking at each of them, Commander Oberuth steeples his hands together. "Have you heard that the ruins are dangerous, even if someone's been where you are already?"
<Seira> "It is common sense for magical ruins to retain guardians," Seira ventures. "Is that the danger you speak of, Sir?"
> "Well, yes, but..." Commander Oberuth shakes his head, "Expiditions haven't even broached the first level. Further, dangers seem to replace and repair themselves."
<Seira> "Should we succeed, then, Balmuria is to benefit from this," Seira proposes. "Is that not true, Sir?"
* Shamal coughs. "I think what he's getting at, Seira, is that we're far more likely to die than succeed," she points out gently. "With no actual evidence that our suspect is even going to be there."
> "The ruins are perlious," OBeruth agrees, "It's getting attention because of that in certain circles. We grand som eapplications to go in. Some come back, some don't."
<Seira> "I will wait here, Sir, at inaction, if that is your command," Seira says at length, acknowledging Shamal's words while looking straight at the Commander.
* Berlioz sighs. "If that's the case, we could simply wait for the wizard to get mercilessly killed by those ruins, then, if he's intent on getting there?"
* Seira twitches.
<Lyselle> "We could await in ambush outside of them, but with a wizard such as that one, what is the chance we'd even be in place to intercept him regardless of the location we chose?" Lyselle offers, frowning. "We don't know where in those ruins he's going, how he'll get there, or other such information I'd personally deem necessary to ambush someone."
> "That assumes he fails," The Commander points out, sighing. "If he fails. If." The Commander closes his eyes a moment, rubbing his forehead. "I can grand you an application to go, but I'm not happy about thethought of sending you off into a possible suicide."
> *grant
* Berlioz nods blankly, frowning a bit as he goes. "Seems like we're stepping on eggs as is. We will certainly have to deal with this Irenes sooner or later, but... I don't think we have the -methods- to track him down as is, even if we are right about his destination."
* Seira looks at the others, before returning her eyes to the Commander. "Sir, may we peruse all the relevant data that has been gathered about the ruins so far? It will help us prepare, even if we do not leave right away."
<Shamal> "We lack sufficient evidence at the moment to really make a decent attempt at tracking him down - even if we survive the ruins, there's no telling that he'd be there when we are, anyway," Shamal offers her thoughts. "Admittedly, all the tales of lost and powerful magic down there do intrigue me, but that's hardly relevant to the investigation."
<Seira> "Not entirely true, Shamal," Seira interjects. "His true goal is the prize waiting below, not the ruins themselves. As long as we control that, he will come to us. On our terms."
> Commander OBeruth raises his hand, thinking, "Alright. This is a very dangerous mission if you do so, so tell me - do each of you wish to attempt this?"
<Shamal> "Oh. That makes things so much simpler," the blonde smiles sweetly. "Pardon me for saying, but I think the deadly traps and defences of the ruins would be better at defending whatever's down there than we would be."
* Berlioz snickers at Shamal. "You know, that's a fine point in and out of itself. I don't see anything wrong with trying to tracking down a shady wizard, personally. I just think that going as far as the ruins based on mostly conjecture from muzzled confessions is a bit hasty."
<Lyselle> "I think in short that investigation into the matter as a whole may not be misplaced, but any attempt on the ruins would be a waste of resources and probably lives, and trying to capture him on site would be that as well as a shot in the dark," Lyselle offers her opinion, shrugging.
<Berlioz> "We're not saying we should drop this investigation, far the contrary. It's just that we shouldn't simply jump like starving mongrels at the first easy theory that jumps to our eyes, especially when they're of a nigh-suicidal nature. We should study these affairs further first."
> Turning a bit before he gets up, "I'll grant you the records that are there. Go ahead and do your research first, but I tend to agree. Whomever or whatever put those ruins there had a strong interest in keeping people out. Do your homework at least." Standing, "A page will drop off the reports within a day. Dismissed for now."
<Afina> Forever.