News:

"I stand humbled by your vast My Little Pony knowledge."

Main Menu

Prelude 2: Sadly, the library detective isn't a Mr. Bookman.

Started by Sierra, July 23, 2007, 10:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sierra

<El-Cideon> It is a Friday morning in late May, on the grounds of Margranth. The practice field on the western edge of the grounds is deserted when Nemesio arrives at the appointed time, no instructor in sight. The field itself is a plain field of dirt, though scarred here and there with the small craters, footprints, and the like--signs of magic in action.
<Nemesio> Barbaric magic, more like, Nemesio scoffs inwardly, settling in to wait. Instructors are free to be late for examinations, after all.
<El-Cideon> It is a still and quiet morning, the sun just risen, a cool spring mist still clinging to the ground. Nemesio hears the footsteps before he notices the shape of another man approaching from the direction of the University's center.
* Nemesio quite expected the only other person around to be a woman, and thus examines the approaching man curiously.
* Derrick walks steadily towards the practice field, seemingly lost in thought as he goes. As he draws near, he looks up at the other gentleman waiting there, though he doesn't seem suprised in the least to see him.
<Derrick> "Good morning."
<Nemesio> "Morning," Nemesio returns, though his interest fades upon finding what seems to be a fellow student.
* Derrick also seems rather uninterested in making further conversation, though less because of being uninterested in other students and more because he's trying to focus his thoughts on whatever the upcoming exam may be.
<El-Cideon> An awkward silence as the two students wait together in the empty field, no sign of their supposed instructor. Suddenly, with a small, barely noticeable outrushing of air as previously unoccupied space is filled, a third figure appears. Short, and with brown hair.
<Pilfer> "Right on time!" Pilfer grins.
* Pilfer looks around.
<Pilfer> "Hey, where's the prof?"
<Derrick> That, however, does get Derrick's attention. Taking an involuntary step back from where the third man appeared, he blinks a couple of times , "Ah, good morning. And simply running a bit late, I would assume."
<Pilfer> "Hmm. There's a ten minute rule, right? If the teacher doesn't show up, ya get to go home and back to sleep, right?"
<Derrick> "I suppose you could. But I would also suppose that if the instructer arrives after you've left you've got no room to complain if he fails you."
* Pilfer shoves his hands in his pockets and rocks slightly back and forth on his heels.
<Pilfer> "Maybe it's like a practical test? The prof has been kidnapped and we gotta figure out where they went and go rescue 'em?"
<El-Cideon> More footsteps, from the south this time. A heavy tread, from a rather large figure from the sound of things. After a moment, a man wearing nondescript clothes, with the distinctive blue-gold-red pin shield that signifies a Registry agent pinned to his chest. The man is tall, brutish-looking, and not at all reminiscent of a teacher.
<Derrick> Looking the man over, Derrick figures that he may have something to do with the reason he was told nothing of this examination other then 'be there'. Nodding his head politely, he greets the man, "Good morning, sir."
* Pilfer glances back and forth from the big man to his fellow student.
* Pilfer shrugs thin shoulders beneath his oversized jacket and smiles cheerfully, awaiting any further response.
<Nemesio> Hmph, more recruitement. Are they handwaving the exam, Nemesio wonders, but seems in no particular reason to speak to the man.
<El-Cideon> From his expression, the man does not agree with Derrick's assessment. His heavy brow creases. "What are you lot doing here?" he asks. He must have been patrolling the grounds near the West dormitory--as is known to be the case during odd hours--and heard the voices. "Too early for students to be about."
<Pilfer> "Well, ask the Chancellor about that. He said the test would be here'n'now," Pilfer points out.
<Pilfer> "Besides, we're hardly students at all anymore. Ten minutes and we're graduates."
* Pilfer grins widely.
<Derrick> Somewhat suprised, Derrick shrugs, "I was instucted to be here at this time by the Chancellor. I would assume," he nods to Pilfer, "that the others are here for a similar reason."
<Nemesio> "Quite true," Nemesio volunteers with a curt nod.
<El-Cideon> The agent manages somehow to increase the amount of furrows in his brow. "Come off it. The professors don't wake up at the break of dawn this time of year, with the season winding down." He folds his arms across his chest in an obvious attempt to appear imposing. "You sneaks out from the West dorm to cause trouble?"
<Pilfer> "Well, sure, but not today."
<Pilfer> "Today I'm OFFICIAL."
<Derrick> Sighing, Derrick shakes his head, "I don't have the time or energy to devote to 'causing trouble', sir. I am simply here because the chancellor told me to be 'at the practice field at first light', with no idea of what it is he's intending to do here."
<Pilfer> "Maybe there's another practice field and they forgot to tell us where it was?"
<El-Cideon> The man seems to take Pilfer's flippant remarks too seriously, and reaches behind him as though he had some sort of weapon there. "Here now, I don't like the looks of any of you too much. I think maybe you're practicing subversion here. Maybe I should run you all in?"
<Derrick> 2d8
* Hatbot --> "Derrick rolls 2d8 and gets 4." [2d8=3, 1]
<Pilfer> "You can try..."
* Pilfer smirks
<Pilfer> "But you get to explain why I missed the big important test."
<El-Cideon> Derrick has a sudden creeping notion that he should look behind him. He gets the impression of a human form out of the corner of his eye, but once he's turned there's no one there. The evaporating mists seem to shift oddly a few meters behind the students, though/
<El-Cideon> The agent snorts. "'You can try.' Brat." He brandishes a stout cudgel which he must have had behind his back and thunks it menacingly into his palm.
* Pilfer nudges Nemesio with a sharp elbow.
<Pilfer> "You don't suppose THIS guy is the test, do ya?"
<Derrick> Keeping one eye on the registy officer should he decide to do anything rash, Derrick turns his attention to the moving mist, giving it the once over.
<Nemesio> "If you intend to assault a Registry official as part of some test, be my guests," Nemesio says, going as far as to physically distance himself from the violence-minded people.
<Pilfer> "Hey, I'm not the one who's playing with his short little rod out in the field," Pilfer points out, shifting slightly the other direction.
<El-Cideon> The agent rolls his eyes. "Yammer yammer yammer. I'm your reckoning, you stupid twat, so shut up and take it." He steps forward, towards Pilfer specifically.
<Derrick> "There's someone else here. At least there was a moment ago."
* Nemesio covertly takes a look around at those words.
<Derrick> "There." Derrick points directly at a pair of leg-sized pits that the mists seem to swirl around some meters away.
<Derrick> "Show yourself."
<Pilfer> There is a faint whoosh-pop, and a moment of eye-straining uncertainty, and Pilfer is standing behind the cudgel-wielding man. He snatches the cudgel away, and with another faint pop is standing some ten yards away.
<Pilfer> "None of that, bucky. There's invisible spooks around. Or something."
<El-Cideon> A woman's voice, dryly amused from the sound of it, speaks up. "Took you long enough."(more)
<El-Cideon> About five meters behind the students, in the disappearing mists, she appears. A bit on the short side, running into her middle years and with a slight stoutness that shows it. Short, graying black hair that juts up just a tad in front and deep green eyes.
* Pilfer tosses the cudgel in a lazy spin, catching it again in one hand.
<El-Cideon> The beefy man fumes but does nothing, apparently waiting on the supposed instructor to tell him what to do, with a dejected air decidedly not that of a distinguished government employee.
<Nemesio> "Please don't let our test be on diplomacy," Nemesio deadpans.
<Pilfer> "What? I didn't hurt him. I saved him from big trouble, actually. What if he'd gone and hit students right in front of the professor?"
<Derrick> Refocusing his attention on the woman, Derrick nods in greeting, though he does not smile, "And you are?"
<El-Cideon> She laughs richly, and shakes her head. "No need to worry yet, any of you." She waves to the "Agent," and tosses him a coin. "Go on home, we're done here." The man shuffles off out of sight, and the woman shrugs. "Local porter, fancies himself an actor. We like to indulge him once in a while."(more)
* Pilfer glances at the cudgel in his hand.
* Pilfer shrugs and tucks it into a pocket, into which it disappears with disturbing ease.
<El-Cideon> "I would be your instructor, yes. Justine Ferryman. 'Instructor,' 'Madam,' "Hey you' if I take a liking to you--whichever name serves you best, but by the Goddess Above do not call me ma'am. It's unflattering. Now, care to introduce yourselves to one another?"
* Pilfer looks to Derrick, since he's the one who spoke to her first.
<Nemesio> "Nemesio Lamperouge, minor healing talent," Nemesio introduces himself briefly, not waiting on the others.
<Derrick> Still not looking either pleased or relaxed, Derrick looks over at the others, "Of course. Derrick Oaks." Taking a moment to nod politely to Nemesio, he considers Pilfer for a long moment before adding, "Pleasure to meet you."
<Pilfer> "Pilfer."
* Pilfer gives a cheery wave to the others.
<Pilfer> "Howyadoin'?"
<Derrick> Giving Pilfer another look, Derrick deadpans a line of his own, "I've had better mornings."
* Nemesio shrugs at that. "I'm entertained. I had no idea the tests were so... colorfull. Certainly not from the Chancellor's depictions."
<Pilfer> "Getting up early does that, yeah," Pilfer nods sagely.
<El-Cideon> Justine raises an eyebrow at Nemesio's brusqueness, but continues regardless. "My apologies, Mr. Oaks, but in any business involving magic, one has to deal with all manner of unexpected turns."(more)
<El-Cideon> "However, you are all right to presume this is not the standard run of things when it comes to evaluations. Your fellow students, or perhaps others among the faculty, may have told you that such affairs are the merest demonstrations of talent followed by a pat on the back."(more)
<Pilfer> "That's what the Chancellor said, too," mutters Pilfer under his breath.
<El-Cideon> Justine raises a hand, palm up, and an exaggerated display of self-congratulatory celebration plays out in the air above her, students in green and blue downing mass amounts of wine.
<El-Cideon> She nods. "Often this is in fact the case. However, we have decided the proceedings will be somewhat different this year."
* Nemesio raises an eyebrow at this display of useful magical ability.
<Pilfer> "Lucky us," Pilfer's subvocalized commentary continues. "They get drunk, we get cranky groundskeepers."
<Derrick> "If they drink enough, I'm sure they get cranky groundskeepers as well."
* Pilfer sighs and watches the cavorting in the illusory image.
<El-Cideon> "Some on the board of directors deplore the laxness finishing students are allowed at the time of evaluations and insist upon a more rigorous series of tests, something more 'representative' of the tumultuous times in which we live."(more)
<El-Cideon> "I am not wholly in agreement with this outlook, you may like to know. But I do as I am charged as a public servant."
* Pilfer considers that the visit with the Chancellor and his sideways offer of employment are looking less and less appealing.
<Nemesio> "I would hazard a guess and speculate this is not a return to the times of dueling, at least," Nemesio voices. "Are we to work together towards some mutual goal, then?"
<El-Cideon> "The three of you may consider yourselves a test of this new approach." She nods at Nemesio. "No measures so extreme will be employed, no. And I was coming to the latter as well." She waves her hand and the illusory students vanish.
* Pilfer addresses Nemesio. "Hey, a duel could work. You go easy on me and I'll take a dive in the third round, how about that?"
* Nemesio taps his chin thoughtfully. "It could work, yes. Cooperation at its finest, I would say."
<Derrick> Sighing, Derrick ignores the other two and addresses the instructor again, "So what exactly is to be out test, then?"
<El-Cideon> Justine nods again. "That is one more respectable aspect of this approach, in my opinion," she says, a tad under her breath. To Derrick, she says, "My superiors have a variety of tasks in mind, I gather, but the first is to be of my own decision. In light of the extra lengths we are asking you to go to, I have made something simple enough."
<Nemesio> "Simple enough, Madam?" Nemesio asks, his words urging her to continue.
<El-Cideon> "I am aware that none of you asked for the extra effort this approach entails, and that despite having done at least as much work as your fellow students already, you are essentially being asked to wait a little longer for your certification to be complete for reasons beyond your control. Thus:"(more).
<El-Cideon> She points to the east. "Professor Rivers has possession of a book of mine. She borrowed it some months ago and has resisted all suggestions that this is somewhat longer than is considerate. I would like you to retrieve it."
* Pilfer bursts out laughing.
* Derrick blinks.
<Pilfer> "Tell me where her office is; I'll be back in ten seconds."
<Derrick> "You're serious, aren't you, Instructor?"
<Nemesio> "We are to break the law as part of our exam?"
<Pilfer> "What law? It's HER book, innit?"
<El-Cideon> Justine frowns. "No laws to be broken at all. It IS my book, after all."
<Nemesio> "I was referring to the breaking and entering part, myself."
<Pilfer> "If anything, we're being good citizens by restoring property to its rightful owner."
<Pilfer> "Who needs to break?"
* Pilfer disappears and reappears ten feet away.
<Pilfer> "C'mon, guys, this'll be a cakewalk."
<El-Cideon> Justine shrugs. "Alethia actually rarely leaves the science building if she doesn't have to. Technically, you would not be breaking and entering anywhere."(more)
<Derrick> Looking over at the other two, Derrick shakes his head, "At what point did you two assume this would by nessecity include practically stealing the book? I would like, IF you don't mind, to attempt a more polite option first."
<El-Cideon> Justine looks at Derrick. "If you can convince your fellows that this is a viable course of action, you are welcome to try it."
<Pilfer> "Pfft. Yeah, if you wanna be boring and take forever..."  
* Pilfer pauses.
<Nemesio> "The assumption comes from one of a time limit to our test, and the early hour," Nemesio responds. "Though if this matter can wait until a more reasonable time...."
<Pilfer> "No, wait, it's perfect! You go distract her while I nab the book and Nemesio keeps an eye out for the guards. It's perfect!"
<Derrick> Derrick raises an eyebrow "I heard no mention of a time limit."
* Pilfer rubs his hands together gleefully.
<Nemesio> "When is this part of the test to be concluded, then?" Nemesio asks Justine.
<El-Cideon> "I should note that she is quite stubborn. She is also wholly unaware of this excercise and may react poorly if she becomes aware of any scheme. As for the time..." she glances up. "I would say you have until noon. That gives you a solid six hours, I should think."
* Pilfer rolls his eyes.
<Pilfer> "We could be DONE by now," he points out.
<Pilfer> "What's the book?"
<El-Cideon> Justine smiles, "Only if you know what you're looking for."
<El-Cideon> Justine glances at Pilfer. "Well, I do have to allow for some level of challenge. I am accountable to my superiors for what goes on here, you know."
* Pilfer sighs.
<Derrick> "So we are to retrieve a book that we do not know the title of?"
<El-Cideon> She looks at Derrick. "I leave the means of determining that to you three. Though I can say that the matter it concerns will not likely be far away from her mind."
<Nemesio> "Very well. You will wait for us here, Madam?"
<Pilfer> "Until noon?"
<El-Cideon> Justine considers this for a moment, and then shrugs. "I believe I have enough confidence in what I've heard about you to wait here, yes. Don't disappoint me. I become a hostile creature without breakfast."
* Pilfer wanders a few feet away and waits for the others to follow.
<Derrick> Derrick shakes his head again, "That really shouldn't be nessesary. Also, others will be wanting to use the field, I'm sure. Do you have an office we could take the book to?"
<El-Cideon> "I'll keep out of their way well enough, Derrick." With that, she vanishes again, apparently just for kicks. "The only other note I have is that we would like to see clear cooperation between the three of you. Beyond that, you are left to your own devices."
<Pilfer> "Naw, naw, c'mon, we got this. Easy as pie. Cakewalk. C'mon, guys. I got a plan."
<Derrick> Clear cooperation? Somehow, Derrick was very much doubting any of THAT was going to be seen.
* Pilfer waits until they are out of range of Professor Ferryman.
<Nemesio> "Out of curiousity, you mentioned a meeting with the Chancellor as well?" Nemesio asks once they are far enough away from the professor.
<Pilfer> "Oh, yeah, he's a real sweetheart. Okay, Plan A: We figure out what Professor Rivers is working on. No worries there, we can just look in a window or something. Then, we go to her office and take every book on that subject, and she can sort out which one is hers later. We finish in half an hour and can go get breakfast."
<Derrick> Walking along with them, Derrick nods to Nemiso. "Indeed. Though I cannot call it a pleasant meeting."
* Derrick just levels a stare at Pilfer that would seem to indicate that he is NOT impressed with this line of thinking.
* Nemesio coughs. "During my chat with him, he attempted to blackmail me into working with him," Nemesio states bluntly. "He tried to use trumped up charges, but he would not have to if we are caught breaking the law during this 'test'."
<Derrick> "No. I am not going to condone stealing from the professor."
<Pilfer> "Not stealing, not stealing. Borrowing. She'll get 'em back afterwards."
<Pilfer> "Heck, if we're fast enough, she won't even know they're gone."
<Derrick> "Also, I doubt that our instructor will consider 'here's every book she had on whatever, one of them is yours' to be success."
<Pilfer> "Why not? It works, doesn't it?"
<Pilfer> "She didn't say bring ONLY her book back."
* Nemesio raises an eyebrow. "Which part of 'I don't want to be caught breaking the law' did not come clear through, I wonder?"
<Derrick> Seeming rather irritated now, Derrick nods, "And I will not be a part of it. Caught or no."
<Pilfer> "So what's your plan? Tip off Rivers that something tricky is up and get Professor Ferryman in hot water?"
<Nemesio> "A manner of phrasing," Nemesio tells Derrick with a light shrug. "Nothing more."
<Derrick> Nodding to Nemesio, Derrick seems to have no issue with him, despite the phrasing. Just Pilfer.
<Pilfer> "There ya go. We're retrieving stolen goods, see."
* Nemesio consider the question. "Talk to her, and ask her about the books. It's not illegal to find out which of them she had borrowed, and why."
<Derrick> "There are more options then 'steal it' or 'get Instructor Ferryman in trouble', you know."
<Pilfer> "Yeah, but she'll smell a rat if some random student comes up to her and starts chatting about Professor Ferryman's books."
<Pilfer> "Especially if Ferryman's been asking for it back already."
<Derrick> "In fact, I'm willing to bet that there are other teachers or student who know which book she borrowed"
<Nemesio> "The professor's name will not be mentioned, and she had been asking for it back over months, it seems."
* Pilfer shakes his head.
<Pilfer> "Who's gonna talk to her? I've never set foot in the science labs. Don't even know what Professor Rivers looks like."
* Nemesio levels a flat stare at Pilfer. "Does none of this setup smell of a trap to you?"
<Derrick> Sighing again (he seems to be doing alot of that this morning), Derrick nods to Nemesio, "the thought had occured to me, yes. The Chancellor did not put me at ease at all during our meeting, and now somethig like this."
<Pilfer> "Oh, sure. That's why you check first. Rivers probably has alarms on the room, stuff like that. I've seen a lot of those things; they're pretty easy to bypass if you know what you're doing."
<Nemesio> "We only have this instructor's word that the terms of the test have changed, and we are the only ones singled out. Yet, I find it hard for me to trust it right after she tricked us once already."
<Pilfer> "So what are you suggesting? Bailing on the whole test? Blabbing to the Chancellor? That'll look great on our records, won't it. 'Came running and crying like a little bitch.'"
* Pilfer mimes writing a report in midair.
<Nemesio> "We have the time. Let's find out more about Professor Rivers."
<Derrick> "That strikes me as a good idea. What do we know of her already?"
<Pilfer> "Sneaking around in the labs is hard. All sorts of weird stuff in there, lots of locks - real tricky ones, too."
<Nemesio> "That she has trouble getting around, from what I recall. Specializes in biology research, teaching rarely. The biology department, thus, would be a good starting place."
<Derrick> Derrick was starting to lose his temper, "Will you stop? For now at least, there is no reason to sneak around, pick locks, or engage in anything else of the sort. Whatever your aversion to doing anything BUT turning the three of us into criminals is, you had best get over it and quickly."
<Pilfer> "All I was saying is someone's gonna have to go in and bluff talking to her face," says Pilfer, looking wounded.
<Nemesio> "I'll go, once we learn more of her daily routine."
<Pilfer> "Ferryman said she spends most of her time in the labs," Pilfer points out.
<Nemesio> "She did say that, yes," Nemesio agrees. "Now let's see if that part, at least, was true?"
<Derrick> "I still think speaking to someone else who works with her, rather then her directly, is a good idea. At least at first. But yes, we do need to confirm that she is what Ms. Ferryman says she is."
<Derrick> "It's a bit sad that I've been given precious little reason to trust the staff here as of late..."
<Pilfer> "Eh, they turn invisible and make you steal books. And they have stale candies. What can you do?"
* Pilfer shrugs philosophically.
<Nemesio> "Graduating with honors is my plan."
<Derrick> Derrick chuckles, "The same."
<Pilfer> "The honors program probably has you vandalize someone's apartment and start a numbers racket."
<Nemesio> "It seemed quite tame, so far, actually." Nemesio shakes his head, then. "Well, shall we go and talk to a coworker of this professor?"
<Pilfer> "To the labs!" cries Pilfer, pointing dramatically.
* Derrick nods. "I have been taking some first aid courses. Perhaps someone in that department would know about the biology proffessor?"
<Derrick> "The two fields are related, after all."
<Derrick> "At least somewhat."
<El-Cideon> So the trio ambles out of the practice field and past the central commons to Pollaea Hall, home of medicine and science at Margranth. It's as large as the other academic buildings, but somewhat less grand. Vines climb the walls, and some of the masonry crumbles.
<Pilfer> "Medicine, huh? Training as a doctor or something?"
* Pilfer trudges along, hands deep in his pockets.
<Derrick> "Something like that. With my Prima, I can already do alot, but there are things it can't do."
<Nemesio> "It's only a matter of time and training, seems like," Nemesio comments.
<Derrick> "Mainly any kind of illness, for example. I can heal almost any wound with little effort. But I can't cure a cold."
<Pilfer> "What do you do, anyway? What's your schtick?"
<Derrick> "My prima is, well..." he pauses, "Meat. I can shape flesh. Repairing it, or...well, doing the opposite."
<Pilfer> "Cool. That must come in handy in the lunch line."
<Pilfer> "Look, we can't just march in there in lockstep. You two know your way around the Science building; I'll just look weird wandering in. No sense attracting attention at this point."
<El-Cideon> The world begins to wake up around the three as they walk up to the academic building. Birds sing in the trees lining the University's perimeter walls and the sun's entirety finally becomes visible over the horizon. There are still very few other people about the campus, though.
<Derrick> "That, I can at least agree with. What do you want to do while we're in there?"
* Pilfer shrugs elaborately.
<Pilfer> "Not much I CAN do, really."
<Pilfer> "All I'm saying is let's try not to look like a brute squad on the hunt. Separate. Run serpentine or something."
<Nemesio> "I have no problem with that."
<Derrick> Having actually encountered a couple of brute squads during his time in Dockside, Derrick half snorts at the mental image of any of the three students being in one. "Alright. Hmm, maybe you can try to find out where her office is, or something?"
<Pilfer> "Easy as pie, captain. Back in a flash."
<Pilfer> "Meet back here in ten?"
<Derrick> "Those of use who need to use our feet might need more then ten minutes. Give me thirty. Not even a tenth of our alloted time, and I can find out alot more with that time then with only ten."
<Pilfer> "Yeah, but she's waiting at the field, all invisible and stuff. Try to hurry, okay?"
* Pilfer blinks out of sight.
* Derrick would much rather take his time and get it done right then rush and likely blunder, but that seemed to be yet another point he and this 'Pilfer' differed on.
* Derrick also made a mental note to ask Pilfer's real name after this was done. Surely that HAD to be a nickname...
<El-Cideon> The inside of Pollaea Hall is subdued, almost tomblike at this time of morning. Dust motes drift lazily in the few rays of sunlight. If Derrick's going for an instructor, they'd most likely be in the offices on the second floor.
<Derrick> Considering exactly how to go about this, Derrick heads up to the office of his anatomy teacher, Proffessor Melish.
<El-Cideon> The second-floor offices are by and large well-apportioned, showing that the administration is making good (?) use of its voluntary students' fees. Judit Melish's office is at the far end of the north wing, in the back corner of the building.
<Derrick> Reaching the office, Derrick knocks gently, loud enough to be noticed but not enough to be considered a raquet at this early hour.
<El-Cideon> There's a rather surprised "Hm?" from inside, as though someone was not expecting visitors, but footsteps soon follow and the professor opens the door. It's a moment or two, but recognition does flicker in her eyes. "Oh, Derrick?"(more)
<El-Cideon> Judit Melish, like instructor Ferryman, seems to be in her mid-forties, though Judit is a tad heavier and black ringlets cascade past a round face to her shoulders. She smiles. "What are you looking for this early?"
<Derrick> Derrick lets out yet another sigh, one of those deep ones that typicially signifies having 'one of those days', and gives the proffessor a half smile, "Mainly a bit of advice, if you have the time, Proffesor. May I come in?"
<El-Cideon> Judit nods and shuffles back inside. "Of course." The office is close and homey: superfluous quilts drape the few chairs, books clutter the corners. It feels like the warm abode of a contented housecat.(more)
<El-Cideon> Judit sits at her desk, closing a book it appears she was writing in, and turns back to Derrick. "So?"
<Derrick> Taking a seat, Derrick half chuckles, "I seem to have somehow gotten myself a bit in over my head with my examination. Well, have you heard of the...unusual nature of today's exam?"
<El-Cideon> Judit looks slightly perplexed. "I'm not really involved with the certification process at all. I may not have mentioned it in class, Derrick, but I can only rely on conventional surgery." She says this with a smile. "I don't interact much with the Magic staff, no."
---

Meanwhile: Pilfer

<El-Cideon> Warping to the top of the library to get a view of the campus as a whole, Pilfer can see the Administrative building at the far south end of campus, unremarkable academics building along the north-south corridor, the Magic building across the commons, and the dorms in the far corners of the grounds.
* Pilfer makes a few more quick hops, and arrives at the Admin building within seconds.
* Pilfer looks around for the world-appropriate object. (map, or listing of profs for the mailman, or what have you. I know real colleges, I don't know this one.)
<El-Cideon> Margranth Hall has a wide passageway bisecting it, a tunnel which runs through the length of the building, allowing carriages to pass under without having to maneuver around the building. Any mail slots would likely take advantage of this shelter.
* Pilfer proceeds thence.
* Pilfer examines the mailboxes in the hopes that there will be an office number listed.
<El-Cideon> The mailslots merely list initials and surnames, "T. Adamsen," "M. Cuesniet," and so forth. It seems the staff have to go to the trouble of visiting the building if they want their mail. All of the mailslots are, of course, locked.
<El-Cideon> There is a door next to the mail slots.
* Pilfer wanders in casually, looking as though he has every right to be there.
<Pilfer> (Any chance of swiping a clipboard? Does wonders for making you look important, carrying a clipboard.)
<El-Cideon> There is indeed a desk in the room with a clipboard, along with a ghastly flood of paperwork--apparently this some sort of multipurpose file room. Probably if an absent teacher collects too much mail in their absence, it'll be stored here until their return.
* Pilfer checks for a listing of office numbers; they may have a way to deliver all the mail in such an extremity.
<El-Cideon> There is such a listing buried amongst the debris on the desk--tacked onto it, actually--but there is no actual listing for Professor Rivers. It may be she doesn't have a formal office, that mail tends to get handed off to someone planning to meet her--or that she simply doesn't get enough mail to have bothered listing her. The list could even be outdated; in any event, she's not listed.
<Pilfer> Any mail for Rivers in the piles?
<Pilfer> failing that, where's the attendant or clerk who mans this atrociously kept desk?
<El-Cideon> It would take an extensive search to determine whether there is anything useful among the paperwork (read: mind check with no bonus), and there's no sign the clerk's in yet.
<Pilfer> no one around?
<Pilfer> for at least five minutes, say?
<El-Cideon> There's no sound to indicate that the admin building is notably populated at this time.
* Pilfer produces a set of lockpicks and pops Professor Rivers' mailbox open.
<Pilfer> Any mail in there?
<El-Cideon> Professor Rivers must not be one of the most popular members of the faculty. There is a plan slip of paper with "Wednesday 10:00" written on it in an elegant and feminine hand, a reminder about alumni donations, and various scraps of old envelopes.
* Pilfer picks up the reminder (it is in an envelope, right?) and heads off to locate a staff member.
<El-Cideon> The administrative building is close to deserted at this time of day. A sound highly reminiscent of snoring can be heard a few doors down the hall, though.
* Pilfer adopts an expression of youthful innocence, aided by his small stature and generally young features, shucks his distinctive overcoat, and knocks at the door with a firm, rapid pattern.
<El-Cideon> A rustle of paper falling to the ground, a hurried "Huhr, whuh?" and the sound of someone staggering heavily to his feet. "Who is it?" a masculine voice says.
<Pilfer> "Terek Vins! I'm a student here, but I think I need some help..."  
* Pilfer attempts to strike just the right tone of fretfulness mixed with eagerness.
<El-Cideon> Someone opens the door--a thin, balding man in worn grey slacks and shirt. It might not be possible for him to look more like an accountant. He looks to be glad just to see that Pilfer is not another member of the faculty. "Right, what?"
* Pilfer smiles.
<Pilfer> "I was over in the science lab, trying to get my final project completed, and Professor Rivers - she's been helping me out - said there was some mail she needed, and could I get it for her and take it to her office? So I went and I found it even though there's no one at the front desk," Pilfer winkles a hint of reproach into his speech, "But I'm not sure where her office even IS! I only see her at the science lab; she doesn't really teach
<Pilfer> many classes, you know. Can you tell me where it is?"
<El-Cideon> The man is still clearly groggy, but manages to stare at Pilfer as though he'd grown a third arm. "Huh? In the science building, where else would she be?"
<Pilfer> "Yes, but which room? She didn't say, and I don't like to bother her again when she's working."
<El-Cideon> The clerk frowns at this. "Yes, trouble with that is, she's always working, right? Don't think you'll have much choice in interrupting, unless she's fallen asleep there. I mean, she's always in the lab, right? Lot of the basement space is hers. Strange girl."
<Pilfer> "Oh, she's not so bad, once you get to know her," Pilfer chirps.
<Pilfer> "Thanks for your help!"
* Pilfer waves the envelope bearing Rivers name and departs.
<El-Cideon> The clerk blinks, as though this is a task beyond his personal skills, and just waves in apparent relief.
* Pilfer scoops up his jacket on the way out. (Science building, eh? In the basement. Tricky tricky.)
* Pilfer heads for the Science building again in his own inimitable fashion.
<El-Cideon> The science building remains quiet and mostly devoid of life when Pilfer returns. Inside the entryway two grand staircases arc up to the second floor, wherein can be found the instructors' offices and a number of lecture halls. Three hallways stretch forward down the visible length of the first floor.(more)
<El-Cideon> The central corridor is lined with small study rooms open for any student's use. The side hallways lead to classrooms and towards the back of the building, where the staff is known to conduct their own research in private labs. Basement access should be in this area..
* Pilfer proceeds cautiously forwards, endeavoring not to alert anyone to his presence. He checks the labels of doors first and, if none say "Basement Access", will guess at the best location for a downward staircase and start listening at and subsequently opening doors.
<Pilfer> (worth noting that "Professor Rivers" or "Basement Lab" are also acceptable door labels) :-P
<El-Cideon> There is no obvious means of descent, but the entrance to the laboratory wing is clear enough--a plain wooden door contrasting with the more ornamented approach used everywhere else in the building, the rooms beyond being quite utilitarian. Most of the labs are currently empty, some have a scattering of equipment for disciplines unknown to Pilfer.(more)
<El-Cideon> One that looks more recently used than the others does show evidence that chemistry experiments of some sort have recently been performed there. A cold stone stairway at the back of this room descends downwards.
* Pilfer listens carefully for anyone nearby, or perhaps lurking in the dark depths.
<El-Cideon> It's obvious enough that the labs around Pilfer are currently empty, but someone seems to be present below. The clink of metal containers being moved about makes its way up the stairs occasionally.
<Pilfer> (My inclination - and probably Pilfer's - would be to check out the basement anyway, and try to bluff his way out of it if caught, but I'm feeling guilty about Nemesio...)

---

Elsewhere: Nemesio

<El-Cideon> Few students populate the hall at this time, it being early in the morning, and the end of the term at that. Anyone around is likely to be in one of the quiet study halls strung along the central corridor of the building.
<Nemesio> Then that's where Nemesio wants to be, walking with a purpose towards the closer one to take stock of its inhabitants.
<El-Cideon> Most of the rooms are empty; that's plain to see as he walks by. There are a few young people inhabiting the building this early, though, probably for the peace and quiet. He passes several before he finds one with an occupant. The first he spies holds a very young man, probably finishing his first year; another down the hall holds a red-haired girl of more advanced years.
<Nemesio> The red-head it is, Nemesio decides, opening the door and stepping inside. "Am I intruding?" he asks, glancing down at the girl, and specifically at what she seems to be doing at the moment.
<El-Cideon> She looks up quickly, as if shocked at something, and closes the book in front of her. She seems drowsy. "Um, no, I guess," she mumbles sleepily. "Do you need this room? Most of them looked empty when I came in."
<Nemesio> "I need a book, actually," he responds, chuckling. "A rare find. The only copy was checked out at the library, however, to my misfortune."
<El-Cideon> The girl brushes her hair out of her face and stuffs the book into one of her large pockets. It did not appear to be a textbook. "Oh, well...it's not this one. This is just...rubbish I got at a senka-stall in Bazaar..." she looks confused for a moment, them: "What were you looking for?"
<Nemesio> "The Environmental Biology Thesis -- A Thorough Case Study Through The Decades," Nemesio lists off, managing a wince at the end. "Can the title get any more pompous?"
<El-Cideon> She rubs her eyes, and finally starts to look passably awake. "Prob'ly. Add more adverbs." She gathers herself up and stands. "What do you need it for?
<Nemesio> "Research, what else?" He spreads his arms, shrugging helplessly. "It seems I've caught the eye of some professor, and they've saddled me with an extra credit assignment. One which I apparently cannot decline." Nemesio pauses, before tilting his head ever so slightly, looking at the red-head. "I don't usually hang out on this part of the campus, so I might be a bit out of the loop. Would you have any i
<Nemesio> deas where to look?"
<El-Cideon> "Um, past asking one of the professors?" She looks around. "This isn't really my building either, but I think most of them have their offices on the second floor."
<Nemesio> "Any of them more open to students with stupid requests showing up on their doorstep too early in the morning than others?"
<El-Cideon> The girl manages a grin at that. "Well, I mainly just know from gossip...Adamsen's supposed to be a pompous fart, so not him...Rivers is creepy and doesn't leave the basement labs much. The head of the medicine folks is probably your best bet. Melish, I hear? I don't know where she is, though."
<Nemesio> "I heard about Melish," Nemesio acknowledges, nodding. "Sounds like she's worth tracking down for this. I'll leave you to your perusal of exciting Bazaar literature and bother you no further, Madam." He bows exaggeratedly.
<El-Cideon> The girl blinks at Nemesio's formality, and eventually nods. "Well, hey, sure, glad to help," she says.
<Nemesio> "It was helpful," he affirms. "Thanks again." With a wave, he leaves the room, closing the door behind him.
* Nemesio decides to go all the way down the hall to pass the time to their meeting, glancing into the rooms with a bored expression on his face as he passes them by.
<El-Cideon> There is a wide double-door at the end of the hall, possibly leading to a lecture hall of some sort. One study room near this is occupied, by a young and and woman talking casually.

---

Back to channel one:

* Derrick_Oaks chuckles, "Well, it's not exactly the kind of test I've studied for. The Chancellor decided to make things more...interesting then the usual demonstration of abilities. So, for only the first part, our instructor has us retrieving a book she loaned out and wants back. (more)
<Derrick_Oaks> "But here's the catch: she won't even tell us the name of the book. And I'm afraid I haven't, well, ever interacted with the professor we're supposed to be getting the book from. Really, you're the only instructor in this building I know well, so I was hoping you'd be able to help."
* Derrick_Oaks waits to see if she seems to even have the inclination to help before continuing with his request.
<El-Cideon> Judit blinks, and toys with a coil of oil-dark hair. "I hadn't heard anything about this, no. I...am not exactly in agreement with the board of directors on a great many things as of late, and they rarely see fit to consult with me these days. What is it, exactly, you were asked to do?"
<Derrick_Oaks> "We have to get a book back from Professor Rivers. Professor Ferryman has asked us to get her book back, and has hinted that Ms. Rivers is not inclined to just give it back at all. I was hoping that, as you work in the same building as Proffessor Rivers, you might have heard of what book she had terminally borrowed." Pausing, he shrugs, "And if this doesn't seem in the least like a proper exam for a magic academy, I'm in full agreement."
<Derrick_Oaks> "I know it's a long shot, but I litterally have nothing more to go on right now. Everyrthing about this I know, I've just told you."
<Derrick_Oaks> "And I would assume, as Proffessor Ferryman said that we were left entirely to our own methods of succeeding, that asking for assistance would be alright."
<El-Cideon> Judit nods along, seems to consider Derrick for a moment, then says. "Alethia is nothing if not stubborn, this is true." Another moment's contemplation, then: "So...you were given no specific instructions at all on what methods of retrieval were acceptable?"
<Derrick_Oaks>  Derrick's expression darkens for a moment, and he shakes his head, "No, none. But I have no intention of just stealing it. That's...it just doesn't seem right."
<El-Cideon> Judit frowns. "Quite frankly, I have no issue with taking it myself. It's not hers to begin with, and if she had any intention of giving it back, she would have." She stands up. "I am not sure whether she is present today or not, but...what was the name of the book?"
<Derrick_Oaks> "That's just it. Instructor Ferryman wouldn't tell us. Said we had to find that out for ourselves. I'm a bit annoyed at this for an exam, as I don't recall taking any detective courses..."
<Derrick_Oaks> Derrick shrugs again, "But nothing to be done for that, I suppose. I only hope the other parts of the exam make more sense."
<El-Cideon> Judit laughs a little, ruefully. "That sounds like Justine. There are some on the board who like to use evaluations to see what the students might have learned OTHER than their assigned subject matter. Well..." She sighs. "Let's see if my friend is in residence or not, then."
* Derrick_Oaks nods and stands back up, intending to follow her as he didn't know where ms. Rivers's office was.
<El-Cideon> Judit walks over to the door, opens it and steps out into the hall. "She'll be downstairs, if she's here." Judit sounds disapproving as she walks back down the hall Derrick came from, towards the grand staircases at the entryway. "She spends far too much time wrapped up in her own private pursuits. She even sleeps here some nights. Alright, this way, back downstairs."
<Derrick_Oaks> Derrick nods and follows.
<El-Cideon> Derrick and Professor Melish descend back to the elegantly tiled floor of the building's main entryway. Judit is about to take the leftmost of three hallways that lead further back into the building when there is a small rush of air behind the two of them, and--
* Pilfer pops into existence with the sound of outrushing air.
<Pilfer> "Yow!"
* Pilfer disappears again.
* Pilfer reappears a moment later.
<Pilfer> "Wait, it's you, Derrick. Hi! Who's your friend?"
<Derrick_Oaks> Startled, Derrick spins, then sighs. "Pilfer. This is Proffesor Melish, who taught my anatomy and health classes. Proffesor, this is Pilfer, who is one of my partners in this exam."
* Nemesio happens to return himself at this time, albeit in a rather mundane fashion, coming across the others.
<El-Cideon> Judit halts looks over the new arrival with an expression of curiosity more than anything else, then turns back to Derrick. "This IS somewhat unorthodox, yes."
<Derrick_Oaks> Seeing Nemesio, Derrick raises an eyebrow, "And this would be Nemesio, the third member of our, hmm, class I suppose it should be called."
<El-Cideon> She then notices Nemesio enter from the central corridor, blinks with something like surprise as she appraises him, then motions for Derrick and his apparent friend to stand by. "I'm sorry, can I help you?" she says to Nemesio.
<Pilfer> "Well, I found Professor Rivers' lab, but she was in it, or someone was, so we don't have the books yet. Hi, Missus Melish! Pleased t'meetcha!"
<Nemesio> "Hello, Professor," Nemesio greets her, bowing. "A pleasure to see you, as always."
<El-Cideon> Judit nods to Nemesio. "Yes, of course. ...Nemesio, yes, that was it. Well..." She looks over Derrick, then Pilfer, then Nemesio, and again. "A motley crew, I must say." She sounds amused. "I wonder whose notion this was now. Well...your friend Pilfer can lead on from here, he says?"
* Pilfer nods, his smile going a bit forced.
* Pilfer swivels and trots down the hall, heading for the lab with basement access.
<El-Cideon> The professor follows along, hanging back with Derrick and Nemesio on either side of her as she goes. "He IS a student here, isn't he?" she asks, not quite quietly enough to avoid being heard by Pilfer up ahead.
* Derrick_Oaks nods, "I dont' think I've run into him before, but Proffesor Ferryman said he was supposed to be here, so..."
* Pilfer 's eyes narrow.
<Pilfer> "Here we are," Pilfer announces, spinning and giving a dramatic flourish.
* Pilfer steps aside so that others can enter before him.
<El-Cideon> The corridor leads past a string of classrooms, through a plain woodern door and into the rear portion of the building. Much more spartan and utilitarian than the rest of the building, this area is frequently used for the faculty's independant projects when no classes are in session.
<El-Cideon> Pilfer eventually leads the way to a lab with scattered tools that appear to be have been used in chemistry, or preparing medicine. A stairway in the back of the room leads downwards. The clink of glass can be faintly heard from below. "Well, this is it, yes," Judit says.
* Pilfer looks around expectantly.
* Nemesio likewise gives Derrick and the professor a calculating glance. "I take it that you came to help us reason with Professor Rivers, Ma'am?" he asks Judit.
<El-Cideon> Judit halts by the stairway, arms crossed over her chest, her round oval of a face looking serious now. "Something like that. You'll need all the help you can get. Derrick tells me you don't actually know what you're looking for? No hint at all?"
<Nemesio> "For this to be a book Professor Rivers would not part with, it is bound to be rare, perhaps out of circulation, and almost certainly on a topic she is partial to. That should narrow it down, at least."
* Pilfer 's lips quirk unhappily, and he avoids meeting the professor's gaze, instead hanging back.
<Pilfer> "And it's supposedly related to whatever she's working on right now," he adds, unhappily volunteering the information.
<Nemesio> "Would you have any idea what that is, Ma'am?"
* Derrick_Oaks just nods, having nothing further to add to what the others have supplied.
<El-Cideon> Judit frowns. "I'm not sure that narrows it down considerably from what she's bound to have her for reference and research. Alethia is *always* working on something. Her usual interests tend to be along the lines of physiology--circulation, body chemistry...that sort of thing."(more)
<El-Cideon> "But...I am not sure there is any one book she would rely on for her work. She knows more than most already. Nor could I imagine why Justine would have such a text in the first place, since the field doesn't interest her. Are you sure it's related to her work? I'm not sure the Board would countenance an exam that denied a professor necessary research material."
* Pilfer shrugs elaborately and moves away from the others.
<Pilfer> "It's what the lady said. C'mon, guys, time's a-wasting. You wanted to talk to Professor Rivers, so go on."
* Pilfer perches on the edge of a countertop.
<Pilfer> "Or send the professor you decided to bring along," he mumbles, shoving his hands in his pockets.
* Derrick_Oaks shakes his head, "I'm not sure about anything about the book, really."
<El-Cideon> Judit sighs. "Well, I'm sure she'll mostly want to talk to me rather than someone she doesn't know. If you can, take the opportunity to look over her books." The, she turns to the stairway and speaks: "Alethia? It's Judit. I'm coming down."
* Nemesio decides to hang back as this goes on, adopting a thoughtful expression. "Why would you think the book is relevant to Professor Rivers' work?" he asks Pilfer, drifting over to him.
<Pilfer> "She said it was important to her, and everyone else says that she only cares about her work." Pilfer shrugs. "It'd make more sense than some silly romantic tale, right?"
* Pilfer hangs back farther.
* Nemesio snorts. "It would. I was just hoping you managed to get some more direct confirmation."
* Pilfer shakes his head shortly.
<Derrick_Oaks> Derrick follows down the stairs, but rather then going with Judit, he moves over to wherever he sees books, intending to look over then and see if anything stands out.
<Pilfer> "Shh," he whispers. "I'm trying to listen in, but I don't want Rivers to see me. In case Derrick's ham-fisted plan doesn't work and we have to go to MY plan."
<Nemesio> "I'll go browse, then," Nemesio agrees with a nod, and goes to try and take a look at the oldest of the books, memorizing the titles along the way.
<El-Cideon> Wooden walls give way to cool stone as one descends into the basement. The laboratory itself is filled from wall to wall with equipment and, from the looks of various small cages, probably specimens. Various chemicals, powders, and other arcane substances fill other tables.(more)
<El-Cideon> Alethia Rivers leans with her palms down on a table, entranced in observation of some chemical reaction, for a long moment before noticing the newcomers (despite Judit's greeting), so the group has ample time to look at her. Professor Rivers is short, probably thinner than is healthy for a human being. She wears a man's clothes--dull-colored slacks, tunic and overcoat--and sports a short-cut mop of dirty blond hair.(more)
<El-Cideon> The most striking thing to note is the strange, connected nodules of metal that seem embedded in what one can see of her skin. They seem to follow the lines of limbs--fused to her fingers, the backs of her hands, some running up her neck and even to the side of her jaw. Some spots of her flesh nearby the metal links look bruised or necrotic.
<El-Cideon> After a moment, she looks up at the newcomers. "Yes?" she says. Her voice is as friendly as the crack of a whip.
<Pilfer> Lurking on the stairs, Pilfer pulls back in shock.
<Pilfer> (They didn't tell us she was a monster!) he thinks.
<Derrick_Oaks> Derrick blinks at the sight of her, but quickly finds something else of interest near her to look at so as to avoid staring.
<El-Cideon> A low table near the stairway holds a scattering of books which appear to be on varied subjects; others, more organized, crowd bookshelves to the left of Judit and the students. Professor Rivers stands up--producing a series of clicks and pops, and what faintly sounds like the movement of fluid--and peers at Nemesio and Derrick. "Judit," she starts, "why are there students here?"
<El-Cideon> Judit seems not the least bit put off by Rivers's abrasiveness; presumably she's used to it. She ignores the question and poses one of her own, walking up to Alethia to start up a conversation that clearly isn't meant to involve anyone else--and probably take up Alethia's full attention. "Didn't sleep again last night, I take it?" she asks, sounding almost sympathetic.
* Derrick_Oaks takes this opportunity to move towards the low table and examine the books there
* Nemesio looks for the oldest books around, although he takes care to note which seem to have been consulted recently, dismissing those that have managed to collect dust.
<Pilfer> roll 2d8
* Hatbot --> "Pilfer rolls 2d8 and gets 6." [2d8=5, 1]
<El-Cideon> Most of the books on the table appear unconnected with Rivers's supposed area of interest; though there is stack of anatomy texts, most of these are probably what would pass for her casual reading. One a traveler's account of an extended stay in Kalbemarle; one a commentary by "social theorist" Irena Kaur--the cover of this one has been bent brutally, and there almost seem to be finger imprints in it; a large, ornate book bound in green and gold and stamped with circle of Fyrdaella.
<Derrick_Oaks> Well, while that book might not be in Rivers' area of expertise, it certainly catches Derrick's interest. Trying not to make enough noise to divert her attention from Judit, he opens the front cover of the book(just in case it IS the one and Ferryman put her name in it or something. never hurts to check)
<El-Cideon> The shelves, by contrast, are highly organized, apparently by subject matter. Biology and life science texts on an upper shelf, two shelves of chemistry books in various states of repair below it, a scattering of works on the physical sciences (this lot looking neglected). A plain tin box sits along on one of the middle shelves; no dust sits upon it.
* Nemesio glances casually at the pair of professors, trying to gauge the attention any of them are paying him.
<El-Cideon> Professor Rivers seems to be focused on her discussion with Professor Melish. On closer observation, it seems as though Alethia avoids making any movement which is not strictly necessary.
* Nemesio uses this chance to move so that he's covering the tin can from view with his form, and open its lid to take a look inside.
<El-Cideon> Derrick finds that the apparent religious text is not the common Sangmyrle he might have thought it to be. The book, on close inspection...
<El-Cideon> The tin box appears to contain metal fragments similar to those seen fused to Professor Rivers, though different in color, as though some aspect of the chemical makeup was altered.
* Derrick_Oaks considers the book, and thinks about things for a moment. Looking discreetly back at the proffessor, he considers the first story that seems to be in the book...
* Nemesio places the lid back, moving away casually to consider the books near it.
<El-Cideon> Professor Rivers, meanwhile, seems to be growing irritated with her comrade's ongoing inquisition as to the state of her health, and wonders aloud again why Judit saw fit to bring outsiders into her lab in the first place--agitated enough to make a few frustrated hand gestures as she speaks, something which looks to take some effort. It almost looks like something else is moving her.
* Pilfer waits impatiently on the stairs. (I thought we were just going to come out and ask her for the book?) he thinks, beginning to grow impatient.
<El-Cideon> Nemesio sees that on the shelf above the tin are a variety of books on body chemistry. A few have Alethia's name as the author.
* Nemesio gives up on this pastime and tunes into the agitated professor's thoughts, seeking to hear any of the more prominent ones.
<El-Cideon> "Look," Alethia says, "state what your actual business is or begone with the lot of you. I'm not an idiot, Judit. What are these children here for?"
<El-Cideon> "I thought you could use some company that doesn't arrive on a gurney," Judit deadpans. "To be frank, I'm on an errand for Justine."
* Nemesio decides to take this moment to drift further away from the container, so that Professor Rivers' thoughts would focus on what truly interests him, now that the topic had been brought up.
* Derrick_Oaks starts paying very close attention now, though he leaves the book exactly as he found it.
<El-Cideon> Rivers crosses her arms now, adopting a defensive posture. It's a somewhat elaborate maneuver for her, with the attendant pops and clicks of unseen joints moving. "If she wants something from me, she can ask for it," she says.(more)
* Nemesio figures it is time to see for himself which books of import are on the table, and moves up to Derrick.
<El-Cideon> "She has," Judit says, "several times, I gather. Some book of hers you borrowed, wasn't it? It's apparently quite important to her. Could I persuade you to act like a human being for a bit and return it?"
<Derrick_Oaks> As Nemesio moves over, Derrick gestures to the Frydellian book as the only one he saw that was of interest.
<Nemesio> "Professor Ferryman merely wants her book back, Ma'am," he states directly as Judit speaks, inclining his head in greeting as he approaches. "Would you be so kind as to return it to her?"
<El-Cideon> Professor Rivers looks over at Nemesio and Derrick; she does not deign to address either one, but turns back to Judit, expressionless but clearly annoyed to judge by her voice. "Just take it," she says, waving her hand dismissively. "I don't want to see it, or any of you, any more."
* Nemesio picks up the book, bowing in response. "Thank you for your cooperation, Professor," he says, turning to leave.
* Pilfer blinks.
* Derrick_Oaks blinks, but follows Nemesio as he goes.
* Nemesio walks deliberately outside.
<El-Cideon> Judit trudges back up the stairs silently after saying farewell to Alethia--a gesture which is not returned. "Well," Judit starts, brushing a fall of coiled black hair out of her face, "I think it'll be some time before she addresses me civily again, but you got what you needed?"
* Pilfer falls in next to Nemesio.
<Nemesio> "Yes, Professor. Thank you for your much-appreciated help," Nemesio tells her.
<Pilfer> "I thought the prof said she'd asked a whole bunch and Rivers said no every time? How come she gave it to you guys?" He thinks for a moment. "Maybe there's some kinda feud going on?"
<Derrick_Oaks> "I suppose. And, I'm sorry I dragged you into that, Professor. I just didn't really know what else to do."
<Pilfer> "Well, whatever works." Pilfer trots ahead. "Let's just go turn in the book. I hope we can get the rest of these done just by annoying professors."
<El-Cideon> Judit leans against one of the big black lab tables. "No need to worry. She'd've been worse without me around, I'm sure." She looks up. "You ARE doing this as part of your evaluations? I will ask Justine about this later, of course. I don't mean to impugn any of your reputations, of course..." she trails off, and avoids looking at Pilfer. "I just can't have allowed students to steal an instructor's property."
* Pilfer scowls.
<Pilfer> "If I wanted to steal it, believe me, you'd never have known," he snaps, growing tired of the insinuations.
* Derrick_Oaks nods, "Yes, it is. I have no idea why recovering a borrowed book would be part of an evaluation, but that's what she had us do."
<El-Cideon> Judit frowns. "Well. That is not exactly a commendation, you know. In any event...I have work to do. Derrick, bring Justine her book. And the lot of you...good luck on the rest of your trials, if this is what they are to be." If she has any opinion on the nature of the evaluations, she leaves it unspoken as she leaves.
<Nemesio> Once their helpful professor is on her way, Nemesio considers the book in his arms. "Would you not like to take the time and see what the fuss was all about?" he asks his companions. "Our next part of the exam might just be relevant to the contents."
<Pilfer> "Yeah! Open it up!"
* Pilfer gathers closely around.
* Derrick_Oaks nods, "That's a good idea. And I'll admit that I have a rather personal interest in the text as well."
<Nemesio> "There are plenty of private study halls around," Nemesio mentions, pointing in the direction of an unoccupied one.
<Derrick_Oaks> Once they're in a study hall, Derrick reaches for the book, "May I? I already got a bit of a look at it in the lab. It seems to be a collection of old stories that, for some reason or another, are no longer part of the official texts of the Faith."
<Nemesio> "Certainly," Nemesio agrees, offering the book freely. "Would any of them be relevant to a person who has... transcended humanity the way Professor Rivers has?"
<Derrick_Oaks> "The first one just might. I didn't get a very close look at any of the others." Opening the book to the story about Monarae, he takes the time to read it more thouroughly, reading aloud, but quietly, for the benefit of his companions.
<El-Cideon> The story, apparently a myth from the old Empire, concerns a son of Fyrdaella's by the name of Monarae, a lesser patron of music, celebration, and all things festive and lively. The lad was poisoned, practically on a whim, by the demigod Inuga (misbegotten daughter of the violent goddess Lakshrima and her war-wolf, and dubbed the Betrayer and exiled by the other deities after the even

Sierra

<El-Cideon> It is midmorning as the group arrives back at the practice field. Instructor Ferryman is sitting on the low stone rim at the edge of the field watching what appears to be a bear juggling axes several meters away from her. She looks up on hearing the approaching students and the apparition vanishes. "So," she says, standing, "you got it? Let's see the loot, then."
* Nemesio decides to listen in on their instructor's thoughts as he hands the book over to her. Would they be filled with amusement? Anticipation? Something else entirely?
<Derrick_Oaks> Holding out the book to her, Derrick nods, "Here it is. Might I ask to read this at some later point though? It looks rather fascinating."
<El-Cideon> Justine takes the book, gently, as though it were fragile, and looks it over for a moment. "Very good," she says eventually, all seriousness now. "And...perhaps, Derrick." She looks over each of the students in turn for a long moment before speaking again, glancing down at the book. "My grandfather gave this to my mother. It's quite valuable to me. Thank you for retreiving it."
* Derrick_Oaks nods, understanding her reluctance to let anyone else borrow it after just having it returned.
<Pilfer> (Probably just worried she'll get in trouble if she flashes around her non-Church-approved books any more,) Pilfer muses, his face a cheerful mask.
<El-Cideon> Justine continues: "I am sure you took your time to look over what you'd gone to all the trouble for. It should be apparent this is not one of the Faith's standard texts. Moderately heretical, perhaps--it does center around the Goddess Above, though the stories themselves have been...written out of continuity by the Faith."(more)
<El-Cideon> "It's of historical as well as personal interest, then. I am sure you realize I took a certain amount of personal risk in asking you to retrieve it."
* Pilfer 's eyebrows raise.
* Derrick_Oaks nods, though despite what someone might expect from a proffessed devout follower, he does not seem irritated, angry, or any other kind of hostile or confused.
<Nemesio> "As did we in venturing to do just that, Professor," Nemesio mentions casually.
<El-Cideon> Justine nods to Nemesio. "Quite true. Then you understand the nature of the test? Some manner of risk was demanded for your evaluation; I felt it only fair that I share in it." She pauses for a moment. "I would like you to be able to trust me. I say this knowing you have little cause to do so."
<El-Cideon> "And that we have not had the best of introductions."
* Pilfer glances from side to side.
<Pilfer> "So that's it? No second tasks or anything?"
<El-Cideon> Justine laughs now, some of the mood from her initial meeting back now. "Oh, you're not done yet. Merely for today. I simply wanted to assure you all...that I AM on your side, if there are doubts at some point."
<Pilfer> "Oh."  Pilfer pauses. "Good," he adds, without much certainty.
* Derrick_Oaks wants to trust her, he really does. His time here has led him to trust, respect, and in some cases actually like many of his teachers. But the earlier meeting with the chancellor, the very bad meeting, and then the nature of the task alloted them has made it difficult to do so.
<Derrick_Oaks> Still, he nods, "Then when can we expect our next assignment?"
<El-Cideon> "Monday, I believe," Justine says. "You have the weekend to yourselves. Rest well until I see you Monday morn."
* Nemesio inclines his head. "Very well, Professor."
<Derrick_Oaks> "Here at first light again, or a more civilized hour?"
<El-Cideon> She grins. "Oh, I'll let you sleep in 'til eight this time, I think. Don't push it, though."
* Pilfer bobs his head agreeably.
<Derrick_Oaks> "Eight is at least enough time to get breakfast, so that's perfecly fine with me."
<El-Cideon> Justine looks at the book and it vanishes--if you look close you can tell she's still carrying the weight in one hand, though. With a final wave, she makes her exit towards the south.
* Pilfer watches her go, quite carefully.
<Pilfer> "Well, that was weird," he comments once she is out of earshot.
<Derrick_Oaks> Waiting until he's sure she's gone, Derrick then looks over to Nemesio and cocks his head to one side, "How did you do that?"
<Nemesio> "Do what?" Nemesio asks, raising an eyebrow.
<Derrick_Oaks> "Know which book to grab? I suspected it was that one, but you didn't look at it nearly as closely as I did. How'd you know?"
<Pilfer> "Didn't she point to it?" Pilfer asks curiously.
<Nemesio> "You indicated it to me, and seeing only a few choices, it was worth the gamble. Her reaction only indicated I made the right call," Nemesio reponds, shrugging.
<Derrick_Oaks> "Hmm. You're either very lucky, very sharp, or both. If I were the betting sort, I'd bet on the last, then."
<Nemesio> "Thank you kindly," Nemesio says with an exaggerated bow.
<Pilfer> "Either that or he's clairavoyawhatsit and just didn't mention it. I know *I* didn't tell you guys everything I can do," Pilfer stretches his arms easily and starts towards the dining hall. "C'mon, let's get breakfast."
<Nemesio> "Breakfast it is," Nemesio agrees, straightening up.
<Derrick_Oaks> Derrick look sover Pilfer, "And while we're on the subject, if we're going to be counting on eachother to pass these tests, maybe we should fill each other in on everythig we can do. Still, breakfast is the more pressing concern, yes."
<Pilfer> "Aw, where's your sense of adventure? Think of these little discoveries as, y'know, something to look forward to."
* Pilfer glances sidewise at Derrick.
<Pilfer> "Well, at least you were right about just asking her. I still wonder why she wouldn't give it back to Ferryman on her own, though."
<Nemesio> "Maybe her relationships with the different professors vary, and Professor Rivers merely respects some more than others."
<Derrick_Oaks> "My sense of adventure is currently trailing behind my desire to graduate."
<Pilfer> "Good thing Derrick knew her friend, then. So you study anatomy much, Derrick?"
<Derrick_Oaks> "I took the course for awhile. Goes hand in hand with my power, of course. Didn't have the time to stay in it for too long though. Too many other classes to take, as well as needing to have time for the church and other projects."
<Pilfer> "Just humans, then? No animals or anything?"
<Derrick_Oaks> "All I can really do is basic first aid, without my magic. So yes, only people. With my magic, I can heal wounds on anything that's made of meat though. Human, animal, side of beef, you name it."
<Pilfer> "Hmm. That's interesting, anyway." Pilfer shoves his hands in his pockets. "At least now I can get back into Rivers' lab if Ferryman sends us to steal her research notes or something. I can't jump anywhere I don't know, see," he explains, by way of a reciprocal confidence.
* Nemesio shrugs as he walks. "I'm just as happy if I never have to return to that place, myself."
<Derrick_Oaks> "After all that talk about wanting us to trust her, I seriously doubt she'd ask for that. But, I am curious," looking over at Pilfer, he raises an eyebrow, "what do you do if you 'jump' to a spot that another person is in? Or if a table has been moved to the spot you jumped to since you last saw it?"
<Pilfer> "Dunno. I haven't ever tried it." Pilfer shrugs, his hands still in his pockets. "I can usually get a sense of what's in a place. Like a feeling, except without touching, y'know? Unless someone was trying to purposely mess with my head, like with magic, I think I'd be able to tell if there was something in my way. Usually."
* Derrick_Oaks shrugs, "I'm afraid I don't know, actually. Nothing of mine provides any such sense to me. Though I can get the gist of what you mean."