News:

Populated by the admins and moderators of your other favorite sites!

Main Menu

Fate: Mechanus Impero (Alex Breslau)

Started by Carthrat, September 26, 2007, 08:25:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carthrat

(The formating is awful, but here we go.)

Emiya Kiritsugu says:
Day 1: Friday, 1/02/XX.

The raspy, screeching cries of cicadas are what wake you up from another muggy sleep, filled with lurid, heat-induced dreams. The nights are too humid and warm for much in the way of blankets, but that hasn't stopped your bed getting drenched in sweat.

Was it a nightmare or is it just that hot? Right now, you can't tell. The digital clock across from your bed flashes 8:14am, and the white noise of the city outside is slowly filtering in.

In a different room, the TV's on. "...welcome to the 9-o'clock news. I'm your host..."
Alex says:
Only nine o'clock? Suppressing a groan, Alex rolls over and tries to catch the already fleeting remnants of his dreams. Nightmares though they might have been, at the moment, anything seems better than the humid, far-too-warm reality.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
Even the pillow's wet, and you realise that you can't hear the now-familiar hum of the air-conditioning unit that usually keeps your house at a tolerable tempreature.

The TV refuses to be silent. "...dy was found today near the botanical gardens, in one of the garbage catchments at the side of the river..." continues the announcer, in his nasal, uncaring tone.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
You suddenly get the feeling that you've forgotten something terribly important.
Alex says:
There is no escaping it, then, Alex reasons with a sigh. Passing the back of his hand over his face to wipe off the sweat, he gets up from the bed, casting it a longing look and wishing the air-conditioning were on. Something important... he racks his mind over what it could be, while idly examining his alarm clock, still flashing 8:14. Is it time to buy a new one, again? Those things seem to last less than certain computer paraphernalia.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
The clock doesn't usually flash, except when it's turned on for the first time... or there's a power shortage and everything gets reset.

"...appears to have been exsanguinated, though there were no other marks of injury found..."

Alex says:
Disturbing. But first of all, time to check on the electrical fuses to make sure all is working properly, and then start up the air-conditioning again. Once that has been achieved, thinking clearly would be easier, Alex reasons. It's a shame, really, that he doesn't keep a journal, and the only way to keep appointments is to remember them in time. But journals and day planners carry their own organized brand of evil with them, and he's simply unwilling to submit to that.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
Padding outside your room leads you into the hallway, and going to the fusebox requires going to the kitchen. You pass the lounge along the way, where a bunch of empty packets of chips and a couple empty cans of beer are strewn across a coffee table. The TV's here, too, and you catch a shot of the Yarra river, the main waterway through the city, in all of it's brown and leaf-strewn glory.

When you get to the kitchen, it's clean. Tim hardly uses it (the man lives off pizza), leaving it to your tender mercies. The fusebox is fine, with everything turned to the proper position.

Emiya Kiritsugu says:
*BEEP BEEP*
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
*BEEP BEEP*
Alex says:
Turning on the A/C, Alex goes to hunt for his cell, using the annoying default set of sounds he never bothered to change to guide him.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
Well, it's where you left it. It's apparently from Tim!

hay alex at
uni if u got
time come by
ps u coming
tonite? free
drinks : )
Alex says:
Alex sends back, 'free drinks = im there,' and goes to see what else is on the TV. Perhaps some foreign news.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
"NHK Newso yoroshiku. Kyou wa-" Japanese news at 9 on SBS, it seems. Children's shows about getting a clue, some Oprah knockoff that's yammering on about the perils of online games (apparently someone died a few days ago in this very city from not eating whilst play WoW). Tim never did bother getting cable, so you're stuck with the usual stations, which suffer from a crippling lack of entertaining daytime television.

*BEEP BEEP*

cool cool ok
meet you at
pizza place
at 11? sci
club having
contest : )
Alex says:
Why not? Alex sends the standard 'okay' cell phones offer as one of the built-in responses, and then decides to go and check up on the electrics in the house. It wouldn't do to have them reset and forget the time -- that's annoying, so that's what Alex will fix, among other problems.

Emiya Kiritsugu says:
The electrics seem pretty much intact and don't look like they're in any sign of terrible disrepair. It must've been a random power surge during the night that caused the safety to flick off, or something like that.

As you pad around the house, you get to see the sky through a few of the un-curtained windows, and it's shaping up to be another beautiful, blue-skyed day, provided you're from the sahara and treat 40c as a refreshing breeze.

Semester has just started at uni, so Tim's been adjusting to his new schedule, which requires him to get up in the morning an awful lot and generally leaves him relatively disgruntled for the rest of the day.

Alex says:
Sucks to be Tim, though Alex muses beer must make everything better after a long day of boring lectures and self-important professors. He sets up his alarm clock with plenty of time to spare to make it to the pizza place, and goes to take a nap in his now-cooler room.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
The AC does indeed make a difference, though it is probably only postphoning the inevitable when you'll have to go outside and face the day.

You're still having a bit of trouble sleeping, though, because when you do sleep, you find yourself dreaming of the sun, and it's just as hot- if not moreso- than in reality. It's rare you feel this kind of sensation, as if fire coated your arms and danced from your lips. It's hard to tell if you're actually dreaming or not.

This only lasts until you wake up, of course, when you remember that you often have dreams of things like this. The sky is an ever-present theme, quite similar to the way *BEEP BEEP* is an ever-present irritation this morning.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
*BEEP BEEP*
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
*BEEP BEEP*
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
*BEEP BEEP*
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
*BEEP BEEP*
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
A happy red light on your alarm clock reveals where to *BEEP BEEP* push it to make it stop.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
*BEEP BEEP*
Alex says:
The cloak must die-- Alex slaps the snooze button, before opening his eyes and turning the alarm off. Maybe talking about his dreams with someone would help, he thinks to himself. Over drinks, perhaps, told as an amusing interlude from one of his wanderings. Even voicing it out might reveal a fresh aspect he had been missing.

And then he's up, dressing casually to fit in the crowd of university students, taking care to turn off the A/C while setting the timer to activate it about half an hour before he expects to return, from past experience, and grabbing his car keys and wallet.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
Past experience... anything can happen when you go out to things like this. Tim seems to enjoy having someone who has no apparent schedule to his life to call and pester at irritating moments to do stupid, pointless things.

It's lucky you have a sense of humour.

Heading out, you see an unmarked white van pull out of the next-door driveway and trundle slowly down the street. The crickets refuse to shut up, and the heat hits you full-force. Nobody else is around your sleepy little suburb at this hour.

Getting to the university presents you with a choice; drive through the CBD and hope there isn't a traffic jam, or cut around it via other roads on your way to the university? Either option is fraught with peril, as the road toll is rising along with the population.
Alex says:
Alex braves the traffic jams, confident in his car's mighty A/C capabilities, and unbothered as he is, unlike most people, about being stuck in traffic as long as he has decent music to listen to as he waits.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
Driving through the CBD during the day proved to be a poor choice for expediency, but someone appreciative of his own music will find it well enough. through the corner of Swanston and Flinders, getting a good look at an electronic screen displaying scrolling headlines, mounted on the side of one of many buildings.

"Howard to resign after election defeat... Australia defeats Sri Lanka to take the Ashes cup (again)... Geoffery McGain shot dead three days after release from jail..."

There are a couple of goths still hanging out around Flinder's St. Station, too, which is also on the corner; probably kids skipping school, since hardly any college-age students have time for that bullshit. One of them's even got a crow perched on his shoulder, which stares intently at your car.

Emiya Kiritsugu says:
And then the lights turn green and you have to drive on. The crow takes off (leaving a rather surprised-looking goth kid standing there) and you're on your way again.

You can't park at the university because you don't have a permit, and traffic is always lame around it at this time of day, so you're stuck finding some parking joint to stash your car in the meantime. Luckily, they're pretty cheap around here, too (24 hours for a couple dollars.)
Alex says:
Alex ignores it, smarter animals though they are rumored to be, crows are low on his list of priorities. Sports are only fun if you play or watch, occasionally, so scores themselves are meaningless to him, and Geoffery McGain? He must be out of it, or this McGain character isn't too important in the greater scheme of things, since he has no memory of what he was in jail for, to begin with.

A couple dollars is nothing compared to his monthly benefits, and Alex finds a place he's certain to find the car again, and unscratched, upon his return, before continuing.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
You do dimly remember Tim talking about this guy a while back; the guy got off easy on rape charges despite somewhat overwhelming evidence, and wound up only serving a couple of years.

You shortly find your way to the pizza place within the mazelike university. As it's constantly undergoing updates and new buildings are always being constructed somewhere, the style of archtecture varies wildly. Making your way through the rather bland and unappealing exterior office and medical places, you soon find the popular pizza joint that's not far from the central lawn.

There's a loud of loud, carnival-style music playing, and a couple of students tear past you, running from an angry, brown-haired asian woman in overalls wielding a wooden sword... no sign of Tim, though.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
*there's the sound of
Alex says:
May this not be the scientific contest, Alex silently prays. If someone approaches him one more time offering to LARP....
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
Truly, the world of the student is frought with peril.

"Oi, Alex!" calls Tim (you think it's Tim), appearing from around a corner... and... he's... got a girl with him, a very preppy-looking girl in a sleek red jacket with a little red ribbon serving as a tie.

The guy himself is wearing an NY baseball cap, shorts and a t-shirt with a pirate emblem on the front. He waves as he approaches, almost dropping his bag in the process.

Alex says:
With his 'casual' attire, Alex would probably end up standing out in the crowd today. But as long as the drinks keep on coming, that should make things manageable. Smirking as Tim's bag takes a dangerous dip, Alex tips his nonexistent hat. "I'm not late, I hope?" he asks, smiling at the preppy girl before returning his attention towards his friend.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
"Your timing is disgustingly punctual, as always," replies Tim, forthrightly. "Penny, this is my creepy roommate. All he does is eat, sleep, and drink. Alex, um, this is Penelope. I forgot to tell you-"

The girl hits him on the shoulder, before smiling cheerily at you. "We're going out," she affirms, with a very high-class-english accent.
Alex says:
"My condolences," Alex tells her sadly, before snorting at Tim. "True, true and true, and yet I'm the more productive of us two. Didn't you go to uni to actually advance in life?"
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
"No, I came to uni because all my friends were, and then they all dropped out and I was left alone," replies Tim, faux-morosely. "Which means it'll just be you, me, Penny, and about half the science club at my party tonight."
Alex says:
"You're not planning anything I would be obligated to hurt you for?" Alex confirms, raising an eyebrow at the fakely morose tone.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
"Even if I was, you'd hurt me on this most special of days?" replies Tim, clutching his head. "Woe is me! Such an uncaring companion I have been granted in this life!"
Alex says:
"You make 'companion' sound so dirty," Alex deadpans, his eyes narrowing. "That, and your non-denial waken my killing urges from their deep slumber."
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
Tim visibly flinches at your not-so-subtle threat, but quickly recovers. "Well, I thought I told you last week? It's my birthday, and I managed to get a reservation at the bowling alley- you know the one, Strike, it's called?" It's a pretty swank bar/alley, frequented by the yuppie crowd and the richer students. With a bit of work, you might even convince the guys at the desk to put on decent music.
Alex says:
"You know how I am with dates and times," Alex says with a wince. "It's entirely your fault for not reminding me. The only birthday I remember is my own, and that's mostly because I've learned to anticipate the traditional yearly ambush."
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
"Yes, I remember what happened last year. It was an unpleasant surprise for us all," replies Tim, nodding sternly.

"What happened?" queries Penny, blinking, and sticking her hands in her pockets. Come to think of it, she must be awfully hot in that jacket.
Alex says:
"Aren't you hot in that jacket?" Alex asks Penny, swiftly changing the topic.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
"Eh? Oh, not really," she replies, shrugging. There's something weird about her e-

"LAAAAAADIEEEEEEEEEEEES AND GENTLEMEEEEEEEN! FIRST YEARS AND VICE-CHANCELLORRRRRRS! THE THIRTY-FIRST ANNUAL PIE-EATING COMPETITION IS ABOUT TO BEGIIIIIIN!"

"Aha! That's what you're here for!" announces Tim, nodding. "I knew I called you for a reason!"
Alex says:
He hadn't eaten that day, yet, and Penelope is cute enough while Tim a good enough friend, so Alex decides to go with the flow. "Are you entering?" he asks, a note of curiousness entering his voice.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
"Naturally. There's no way I'll lose to you," he replies, firmly.

Penelope rolls her eyes. "Don't they throw the leftover pies at each other when they're done?" she asks, to which Tim nods.

Alex says:
"There is a pie out there with your name on it," Alex states firmly, eyeing Tim.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
"That's right. And I'm going to eat it!" he replies, promptly ripping off his shirt revealing an awesomely skinny frame, and making a mad dash towards the lawn!
Alex says:
"You are dating this guy, why?" Alex makes a show of asking Penelope, as he follows at a more sedate pace, t-shirt firmly on.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
"He's sweet," replies Penelope, coughing. "And, you *live* with him, don't you? I am permitted my breaks, I'm sure."
Alex says:
"I can't argue with that logic," Alex agrees. "So when did the joyous occasion of you two meeting take place?"
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
"Just three days ago," she replies. "We're both doing english, and it was pretty spontaneous, now that I think of it... what about yourself?"
Alex says:
Alex shrugs. "Ages ago. Not sure I could even give an exact date or point to some moment. We've just always worked well together, so when I needed a roommate, Tim was the best choice. His jokes are lame, but you've got to take the bad with the good, however that saying goes." He considers briefly. "I guess I'm lucky that it's my biggest complaint about Tim."
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
"Old friends, eh... heh, I hope you don't mind me stealing his time. Though, aren't you coming to college?" Her upturned face is pretty cute, and she clasps her hands behind her back, seeming more like a highschooler than a college-bound student.
Alex says:
"Oh no, I'm a professional bum," Alex responds with a laugh. "I just travel all over, and return to crash at our place for a few months occasionally. I swore I wouldn't set foot at a uni as a student until I've been to every country on the map."
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
"I think the world will teach you better than classes will," she replies, laughing with you for a moment.

You approach the lawn. There's a giant, rubbery jumping castle here, and a bunch of students are bouncing around and throwing pies at each other within. A couple of tables nearby hold dozens of cream pies, and a large crowd of students has gathered around to watch. Tim has already joined a small queue that's forming- it seems that most people aren't brave enough to face culinary artillery.

"Especially if you go to the more dangerous countries."
Alex says:
"I guess I'm not important enough to make disappear, jail without trial and horribly torture for years on end," Alex suggests with a snort, before eyeing the queue. "It's his birthday, so I might as well go and join."
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
"If that does happen, though, at least you'll be able to write a good book," replies Penelope, nodding. "Ah, really? I'll wait, then. There are some parts of Tim I could live without," she admits.

Emiya Kiritsugu says:
Alex meets up with his friend Tim, at uni, and prepares to undergo most grevious peril, all under the careful eye of Penelope, his new girlfriend.

"You're going down," boasts Tim, shirtless and walking boldly up to a table full of pies, along with about four other guys. Most of them are wearing shirts.

A student armed with a whistle is standing on the other side of the pie-table, and a small section of the lawn has been suitably cordoned off. Penelope watches from the crowd, looking a little bemused.
Alex says:
Alex sees no reason to divest himself of his shirt. Should it be damaged beyond repair in the battle, he would just get a new one, and let that be the end of it. He confidently follows in Tim's footsteps, coming to a stop at his right.

"How about placing a bet on your impending loss?" Alex asks Tim with a smirk. "A full tank of gas would be suitable, I think."
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
Tim *winces*, but nods. "Accepted!"

The student with the whistle announces the rules.

"No shots at point-blank! No fisticuffs! No shots at the groin! No shots at me- I've got more pies than you, and some are still hot," he proclaims. "The winner is the one declared the least filthy by the end of it!"

And with that, the  Tim grabs a couple of pies and dashes off

Emiya Kiritsugu says:
*and dashes off to one side! The table of pies is actually quite long, with pies evenly spread across it, so you'll have to run around to get them. The only other student with a shirt grabs a pie and flings it in your direction!
Alex says:
Alex jumps reflexively back, grabbing a pie at random and flinging it, as some of it drops precariously off the plastic plate, to meet the one on course with him in an explosion of cream. Revenge crosses his mind momentarily, but he dismisses the though just as quickly. This one's just a mook -- his true target is Tim! Acquiring a pair of pies, one for each hand, he closes in on his roommate as much as possible without violating the point-blank range rule, willing to accept certain hits on his own person as long as Tim's face meets a pie.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
Someone's turned on a radio! System of a Down blares out across the campus grounds. (WAKE UP! GRAB A BRUSH AND...)

Tim meets you head on, throwing his pies at you like demented frisbees! You feel a dangerous impact on your back!
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
(HIDE THE SCARS TO FAKE AWAY THE SHAKEUP)
Alex says:
Alex ducks under the first, springing forward from his crouch with a burst of speed. He slides sideways to avoid the second, presenting only his profile to Tim. His back is hit, with what he cannot tell, but it has to be a direct pie impact. But that is irrelevant, because his two pies remain largely unspent, and he flings them at Tim's face, feinting with one to make his roommate dodge straight into the follow-up strike.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
Tim fires away at you! Pies burst, revealing that the cream has been dyed to a variety of colours, each one more jarring than the last!

For a moment, everyone is left empty-handed. You feel stuff dripping from our shoulders, but Tim's face is a mask of white. A bit of pastry drops off his nose, and he stares at you with bestial eyes.
Alex says:
Alex smirks again, and suddenly dashes back to the table, zig-zagging to avoid the crazy few who still have ammo. After reloading, he turns around and sends a pie flying into each direction further down the table, certain that those slower than him would just be arriving to equip themselves. Not waiting to see if he hits, Alex grabs two more pies and retreats, intent on using one of the pies to knock any projectiles coming dangerously close to his head, while the other would surely deliver a victorious blow to those who tried that.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
Alex is granted a brief respite (as most of the participants crowd around the table, blissfully ignoring the point-blank rule). The crowd is cheering, mostly for the shirtless guys. Penelope's... talking to some gothy blue-haired girl. She looks kind of peeved- oops, no time, here comes another pie!

Of course, Tim is responsible, but he's got another one ready, and he's coming straight for you!
Alex says:
Tim thinks that he will succeed in a double knock out. Tim is wrong, of course. Alex will close in on him with the appearance of accepting his challenge of mutually assured destruction, but turn agilely at the last moment, presenting his already-dirtied back to the other man, while shooting his as close to the groin he thinks he can get away with -- which, in turn, depends on how closely their referee is watching them.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
It would take keen eyes to see where the referee is watching, (though, judging by the sudden "OOOOOOOOOOOH", the crowd is certainly watching).

Tim seems to be breaking the rules as well, closing to what is surely point-blank range before dumping his pies on your head, before comically stumbling over and landing on his face. Luckily, the ground isn't *that* hard.
Alex says:
The groin it is, then. And since he has another pie left, Alex would helpfully place it below Tim's face as he feebly struggles to get up.

Alex shakes his head, dislodging pieces of pie from his hair while no doubt leaving countless others firmly nestled. That's two rules broken. Might as well reload and look for the ref?
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
Everyone's breaking the rules at this point. Winning has taken a back seat to inflicting as much humiliation as possible. The rest of the pie-fight rapidly devolves into a melee.

"There's no hope of deciding a victory like this," nods Tim, once all the pies have run out.
Alex says:
"My face is not white or a garish flourescent color," Alex notes with a raised eyebrow, while flicking a bit of cream trickling down his forehead off his brow. Hmm, cherry-red. His gaze then drops lower significantly for a moment. "Also, my humiliation's not as complete as that of certain others."
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
Tim winces. "That's not the kind of move I need to take in good graces, you know," he replies, sounding genuinely pissy.
Alex says:
"I think your ship was sunk from the moment you volunteered to humiliate yourself before your peers," Alex comments, shrugging. "But hey, pay for that tank and I'll cover for you."
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
"Fortunately, the referee is saying we are all equal failures," he replies, nodding. "'sides, you can afford it better than me."

(SELF RIGHTEOUS SUICIIIIIIIDE) blares out the speakers.
Alex says:
"Good luck, then!" Alex tells Tim cheerfully, patting his pie-covered shoulder with a squishy sound, before shaking his hand to clean it. "What's next? Female mud wrestling?"
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
"That was yesterday," replies Tim. "You should've been there, it was rollicking good fun. Ah, man, where'd Penny go..." he mutters, heading back to the crowd and fishing around in his bag.
Alex says:
Alex follows more sedately, using the time to look over the crowd nonobtrusively for either Penelope or the goth girl she was talking to.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
Tim grabs a towel and wipes himself off, before offering the device to you. With a bit of inspection, you can see Penelope and that girl just before they vanish into one of the nearby uni buildings.
Alex says:
Alex gives a casual swipe of the towel over the heavier-damaged areas, while being careful not to get bits and pieces of pie on what little remains clean. "That building," he says, nodding in the direction he saw Penelope go.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
"Man, we don't have class again today," he grouses, pulling his shirt back on and starting towards the building.
Alex says:
Alex follows, asking Tim, "So hey, what can you tell me about 'Penny'? Hobbies, friends, life's ambitions?"
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
"She's into books," replies Tim. "Pretty hardcore, and it seems like she wants to write one, too. Friends, well, she's here on exchange, you know? She's English and came down this semester, so she hasn't had much chance to make many." He wipes his forhead, and gives a bit of a tepid grin. "Can't believe I was so quick to ask her out."
Alex says:
Alex shrugs. "She's pretty, so it's very hard to fault you."
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
"Well, yes. You could say it was one of my bravest moments," he muses. "You should study part-time or something, man! Don't be forced to do extra years like me to make up credit points!"
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
"And you can't possibly be meeting any girls, staying at home all day. Well, I guess you travel everywhere, but nobody ever comes back *with* you..."
Alex says:
"There was that nice Chinese girl, last time, but I couldn't get her past Customs." Alex sighs, running his hand through his pie-covered hair. "I think I'll take your advice on girls, while cheerfully ignoring any vile suggestions to pick up a textbook."
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
The cream would probably taste ok, if you cared to try.

"Advice... you should ask them out before you know them very well. See, if you already know each other, then you can't really be surprised and amazed at each other, right?"
Alex says:
"Let's go be surprised and amazed at your girl," Alex mentions with a snort, picking up his pace while idling tasting the cherry-colored pie.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
You find Penelope reading a notice-board, with various boring academia-related announcements on it. "Sorry about that," she apologizes, when she sees you both. "A friend of mine wanted to talk to me in private."

Tim looks a little surprised, but nods. "Ah, no worries. Wanna go grab lunch?"
Alex says:
"Haven't eaten yet today," Alex comments. "Anything's good right now."
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
Time passes swiftly. Tim aimlessly chatters about random games, how school's going, and the like. Penelope isn't too chatty herself, though she does comment whenever he talks about his classes. And then...

"Man, I've got to go," says Tim, checking his watch. "Class and all. I'll see you guys tonight?"
Alex says:
"Wouldn't miss it for the world," Alex promises. "Or, you know, unless I forget. Give me a call if it seems I'm late."
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
"I'll be there," indicates Penny, standing up. Tim gives her a quick kiss, and then sighs. "It's so lame. I'm not suited for being in class for so many hours at a time," he complains, before bustling off.
Alex says:
"Tim said you were done with classes for the day?" Alex states curiously, observing Penelope.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
"Hmm? I am," she replies, nodding. "Uh, do you mind if I stick around you for the time being? I'm still not sure where the bowling place is," she comments.

It's not that far away, though it'd be a real pain to walk from the university.
Alex says:
"That's okay, though I was planning to return home for a while and get changed. If you've got nothing better to do, my car's parked pretty close by," Alex offers, standing up himself.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
"Oh, great," she replies. "He really hadn't told you about me?"
Alex says:
"I'm moderately confident it didn't happen during one of the many times I tuned him out," Alex confirms with a nod. "I like gaming like the next person, but there's just so much you could say about them before repetition occurs. Feel free to rectify this and tell me plenty about yourself."
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
"Let's take turns," she announces. "Fact: I'm the youngest of a family of four."
Alex says:
"Ditto, if you make it three," Alex responds, leading the way to his ride.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
"English major."
Alex says:
"You already know mine, so anything else you'd like me to talk about?" Alex offers.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
"Hobbies?"
Alex says:
"Ah, that's easy. Painting." Alex smiles happily. "Now, the picture of a bum is complete?"
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
"Depends if you're good at it or not," she replies.

You shortly reach the streets outside the university. While a lot of people are coming and going from the nearby tram stop, you'll have to walk away from it (and to quieter locales).

There's a crow cawing away rather noisily, perched on one of the nearby trees.

"Depends on what you paint," she replies, curiously. "Though, I assume you're not selling it..."
Alex says:
"Just nature," Alex tells her, glancing at the crow while passing it by. "Though I make an exception for some people."

But this is still Tim's girl, so a change of topic is in order. "What made you come here all the way from England?"

Emiya Kiritsugu says:
"England is very dreary, and you wouldn't believe how popular Australia is as a tourist destination," she replies. "The university here was offering scholarships to international students, too, and I got one, so..."
Alex says:
"When you put it that way, it makes me feel a bit bad about leaving it so much, and for tourism, to boot," Alex admits, scratching the back of his back in mild embarrassment. "Congratulations on the scholarship, though!"
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
"Ahaha, thanks. I don't have any relatives here, sadly, but I hope to travel between semesters- to Japan and China and so forth."
Alex says:
"You're a fan of the Orient, then?" Alex asks, and his attention returns fully to Penelope. "Japan's pretty much my next destination, though I haven't really given it much thought. Thinking of traveling with a group, hired guide, the works?"
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
"I don't think I'd like travelling with guide and all that," she replies, musing. "I like to find things out by myself, you know?"
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
You reach the parking lot, though it'll take a bit more to get to your car. You're confronted with the choice of taking the stairs or the elevator, though.
Alex says:
They'll be resting their legs soon enough, and so long that they're relish the chance to stretch them, if traffic isn't agreeable. Therefore, Alex leads Penelope through the stairs.

"Finding things out sounds pretty exciting, until you realize that while asking a farmer for directions you've just insulted his favorite goat." Alex shudders. "True story, that."
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
"However did you escape that one?" she asks.

The lights of the parking lot flicker a bit, and you can hear some irritatingly loud music coming from one of the other levels (could be some wog with a subwoofer in his backseat...)
Alex says:
"I run really fast when given a good incentive," he responds, before frowning at the flickering lights. Darkened parking lot, loud music to cover any noise... better they get to the relative safety of his car before some louse decides this makes a grand place to try and rob people. They would have, abroad, in the countries he frequented, and though Alex wants to believe Australia different, he's not in the habit of gambling needlessly without having anything to gain from it.

Emiya Kiritsugu says:
The loud music from the lower levels of the parking lot continues to thump at you as your hurry towards your car. The air is a bit chilly down here, a welcome respite from the blazing heat outside.

The culprit of the noise is shortly revealed; some idiot has double-parked his car, and he's blazing out some trashy rock at full pelt. Annoyingly, he's blocking the quick way out the parking lot.

Your own car is within sight, and not far away. Penelope looks over at the other car with a bit of disdain. "I can't believe that rot passes for music," she mutters.
Alex says:
"I think I have something better in the glove compartment," Alex muses, deactivating the alarm as he makes his way towards his car.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
Penny gets in the passenger side, and although it's a bit of a hassle, you manage to get out the carpark.

"Hey, this car is pretty nice. Is it yours?" asks Penelope, curiously. She doesn't put her handbag down as she straps herself in.
Alex says:
"In all the ways that matter," Alex responds, taking the same route home. He reaches towards the glove compartment at the first red light, opening it to show an array of CDs. Most musical streams are represented, though New Age and Classical seem to dominate the collection.

"Pick one," he suggests, returning his attention to the road. "With my luck, we'll be stuck in traffic again."
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
She slips in a piano sonata, humming along to a familiar tune. "I used to think all classical music sounded the same. I wonder why children and teenagers always seem to find it so boring..."
Alex says:
Alex shrugs. "Peer pressure? I think it's been centuries since listening to classical music was considered cool in any way, shape or form."
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
The road is pretty clear as you head back. The goth scene has cleared out of the station as you pass by it, leaving only ordinary types coming and going.

"Probably, though most wouldn't really know the difference between 'classical' and some kind of modern orchestral thing. They just see the violins and flutes, and deride it from the start."
Alex says:
"I remember a teacher of mine saying that classical music is to be enjoyed from the neck up, while rock came to do the opposite," Alex comments, ignoring the pedestrians they pass by. "It sounded pretty funny at the time, but I wonder if there's anything in it, after all."
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
"Well, people talk a lot about 'appreciating' music, like wine or something. But to a layman, it's just liking it or not, surely."

There's a *BEEP BEEP*, but Penny seems to identify her own phone, and quickly checks it, before putting it away.
Alex says:
Not really disagreeing, Alex lets a comfortable silence settle over them, Beethoven's piano sonata No. 14 playing enchantingly in the background.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
Soon enough you reach your house once more. A crow sits perched on the roof, staring at your car as it pulls up.
Alex says:
"There's... probably something to drink in the fridge," Alex says, leading the way inside. "Maybe even some halfway decent snacks, but I wouldn't count on that. Give me fifteen minutes, and I'll be as good as new."
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
"Right," replies Penelope. "Are you freshening up or something?"
Alex says:
"Though I may not look it, I don't actually like having pie in my hair," Alex says with a shrug. "I hope you won't blame me."
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
"Ah, right. Who won, anyway?" she asks, heading to your fridge and pulling out... a coke.
Alex says:
Alex shrugs once more. "I'm pretty sure everyone involved lost, as expected. Anyway, I'll only be a few, so feel right at home."
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
"Yeah, thanks."
Alex says:
The evening outing is planned as classier than a university pie-flinging contest, Alex considers, and decides to lay out a fresh change of clothes accordingly for himself, before stepping into the shower to get cleaned up.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
But not *that* much classier. After all, it IS Tim.

You almost trip over the trap-door that leads to the basement as you head to the bathroom (it's something both you and tim constantly forget exists). The last people that lived here left a lot of old junk in there, including plenty of old-school softcore magazines, a broken exercise bike, half a drumkit, and several incomplete sets of screwdrivers. Apparently, the realtors missed it when surveying the area.

Water restrictions necessitate rather short showers, so you can't really afford to spend too long in there today.

Emiya Kiritsugu says:
When you emerge from the shower and get dressed, you find Penelope looking rather nervous, pacing in the hallway. "Um, you've got a message on the house phone," she says.
Alex says:
"Sure thing," Alex says, toweling off his hair with one hand, as he heads over to rewind the tape, listening to this message on the speaker.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
Penelope refuses to meet your gaze as you go past her, and the message plays out.

Your father is the speaker. A man given to few words at the best of times, he was generally far too busy working to spend much time with you. A few holidays every now and then was all he really had.

"Alex, it's me." There's an uncomfortable pause. "I've got some bad news. Your mother got a call this morning, and her mother was... has left us." The words are quite clumsy, but their meaning carries terrible finality.

"There are some.. things we need to discuss with you. Please try to come around some time today..." *Click*.
Alex says:
Alex freezes. Granny died? The towel drops heavily on his head as Alex's hand goes slack.

But he had always been quick on his feet during a crisis. Before he even realizes it, his hand punches in the numbers to his father's cell phone, the only phone number Alex remembers by heart.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
Ring, ring. Ring, ring.

*Click*, "Alex?" asks your father, rather gruffly.
Alex says:
"I just got the message," Alex says hurriedly. "What-- how?"
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
There's a pause. "I don't know the details. But she apparently had a stroke, and, well, nobody realised for quite some time. By the time she got to hospital..."
Alex says:
The pause is returned. "...I see," Alex says at last. "When do you want me back home?"
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
"Ah... that was your mother's request," he replies, sighing. "She has something that your grandmother intended to be given to you.

"I think it would be best if you came around for dinner, as well. Um. I think your mother would appreciate just your being here, so..."
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
Your father never was particularly close to his parents-in-law, after all.
Alex says:
Not many people like their inlaws, especially their mothers in law. But to Alex, she was important....

"I'll be there," he responds. "Can you tell mom I'll cancel my plans and be there in an hour?" Half an hour to drop Penelope off, some time to spare for traffic heading back... he should make it.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
"Alright. Take care, son," he replies.
Alex says:
Alex says something in agreement he can't quite remember a moment later, and hangs up the phone. He moves methodically to the bathroom, tossing the wet towel into the pile of laundry, and goes to look for Penelope.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
Penelope has taken a seat on one of the couches, looking suitably sad. She opens her mouth to say something, and then closes it with an audible swallow.
Alex says:
"I won't make the party today," Alex tells her, grabbing his keys. "Tell Tim I'm sorry, and party enough for my share as well, okay?"
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
"Um.. alright," she replies, standing up. "Uh, just drop me at a train station? I'll get home from there."
Alex says:
"I'll drop you home," Alex tells her. "I need the time to think, anyway, before I go to my folks."
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
"Oh, uh, alright," she replies, looking a bit flustered for a moment.

She doesn't say much once you're in the car, though, apart from her address (some inner-city apartment block.)
Alex says:
Alex drives in silence, his eyes on the road, while his mind goes back to the last time he saw his grandmother, reliving the occasion.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
You manage to keep enough of your wits in the here and now to navigate your way safely to Penelope's apartment, who eventually jolts you out of your reverie by saying "Ah, here."

She doesn't get out right away. "Um, I'm sorry. Were you close?" she asks, sounding a bit feeble.
Alex says:
"Yes," he says honestly, sighing. "I should've called more. The kind of things you're thinking about, when it's too late--"

Alex shakes his head. "I'm sorry for getting you involved."
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
"Uh, no, you don't have to apologize to me," she replies, awkwardly undoing her seat-belt and opening her side of the car. "Well, um, I'll see you around."
Alex says:
He manages a smile. "Seems pretty inevitable, if you stick with that bum. He has his good points, so it won't be a wasted effort."
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
"Heheh. I'll probably be dragging his body home," she remarks, getting out the car and closing the door.
Alex says:
Alex gives her a wave, and waits for Penelope to enter the building before driving off. Along his way, he seeks out a flower shop, something with yellow daisies, his grandmother's favorites.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
Penelope fumbles around in her handbag for something, seems to curse to herself, and then hits the intercoms.

A short while later an asian student opens the door, and she talks to him for a bit before entering the apartment.

You certainly have no trouble finding a suitable florist, and soon enough you're heading out of the inner city and into the realms of suburbia...

Emiya Kiritsugu says:
Out of the city you go. Melburnian suburbia is packed with schoolkids arriving home at this time of the day, clutching the freedom of the weekend whilst scurrying back home.

But traffic is low, so you only take around fourty minutes to travel across the city and get to your parent's place.

The house used to look bigger when you were younger. A two-story affair and the culmination of your father's career, the house is just one of a couple of properties they own. It's not quite ostentatious or pretentious; respectable would be the adjective most use. Naturally, the surrounding street is picturesque; mowed lawns, birds chittering, and everyone has a perfect front garden...
Alex says:
Just the way Dad likes it. A perfect neighborhood, with no doubt likewise respectable neighbors. Not that he would have time to meet any of them, but he derives satisfaction from the fact that they're there, and he could.

But now it's time to see Mom, and put the flowers in a vase with some water. It would be nice if they survived the week without wilting pathetically.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
Of course nobody meets each other on this street. You could fire a gun here at noon and nobody would want to know what's going on- because nobody is ever home.

Emiya Kiritsugu says:
When you open the door and head inside, you find your mother and father sitting quietly in the lounge, sipping from glasses of wine.

Your father looks like he always does; a bit tired, but a man with firm determination and unyielding will. The years have finally started eating at his hairline, but not at his sharp mind. His face is one of stony sympathy.

On the other hand, it's evident your mother's been crying a little, and she might've had a bit more to drink than your father; she's slouching a bit on the sofa, and is the first to greet you when you enter. "Hi, Alex. Thanks for coming around," she says, smiling a bit.

Alex says:
Alex offers her the flowers, taking his mother's hand as he takes a seat next to her. "I came as soon as I heard," he says needlessly, disliking his unnatural calm under pressure, for once. Being composed is useful, but there are times he would like to let go, too....
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
"Oh... thanks. I'll find a vase," she says, standing up and heading the windowsill, where she deposits them in a suitable recepticle.

The silence is deafening for a moment, before your father picks up the bottle of wine. "Drink?" he asks.
Alex says:
He usually doesn't, but-- "Alright," Alex agrees curtly.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
He can only afford a couple of glasses if he intends to drive around later tonight (that is, if he cares about the law.)

"I'm sorry for giving the news so abruptly," says your father. "It must be very hard for you, having been so close to her."
Alex says:
"It was... sudden," Alex opts to say. He looks questioningly at his father. "There were no signs, no-- just, a call to Mom when it was too late?"
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
"She'd been left alone in her house for almost a full day," replies your father, frowning. "Since she lives alone, nobody realised until her neighbour went around to return one of her appliances..."
Alex says:
Alex sighs, closing his eyes. "It's frustrating," he says. "Especially when you're so far away. There must haven been something you could've done, that's all you keep on thinking."
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
Your father looks uncomfortable. "After her husband died, I told her she should have someone else in the house with her," he replies, indeed sounding frustrated. "If she'd gotten to a hospital sooner..."
Alex says:
Alex snorts, drinking a bit of the wine without tasting it, as usual. "She had her ideas about how to live her life, and wouldn't be swayed, whenever she made a decision."
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
Your mother sets down her wineglass with a bit of a tink, and you can see her clench one of her fists on her lap.

"We're not independant creatures," replies your father, sounding cross. He looks like he's going to go on a bit, but then the phone rings. "I'll get it," he adds, standing up and heading into a different room.
Alex says:
There is much he wants to ask. Trivial things like whether she's okay -- of course she isn't. Curiousity, despite himself, of what exactly of Granny's that she wanted him to have. Practical matters, such as whether arrangements have been made.

Instead, Alex sits quietly next to his mother on the sofa, merely being there for her and reminiscing about happier times with his grandmother.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
Your mother seems to want to say something, but is fumbling around the words. Normally immaculate hair seems to be fraying a bit at the edges today, and she eventually indicates something on the table; a box, about a foot wide in any direction; it's been carved out of wood, and looks very old. You've never seen it before.

The letters 'G.B' are stamped on one side.

"..when I was growing up, I hardly saw my mother," says your mother, slowly. "I think she was a lot like you, always travelling everywhere..."
Alex says:
"I never thought about her that way," Alex responds, surprised, even as he absent-mindedly reaches for the box. "She had those amazing stories, yes, but she was always there... she seemed like she would always be there...."
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
The box is smooth to the touch. It is also locked and cannot be opened. Your mother seems to be grimacing.

"...I know she was very special to you," she says, slowly. "Special enough to teach you those.. things."
Alex says:
"She liked art," Alex agrees with a fond smile. "I don't think I ever enjoyed learning anything else as much."
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
"I'll bet you didn't," mutters your mother, sounding unusually cold.

"She didn't settle down until I had you, and then.. she gave me this. We hadn't spoken for years, and suddenly she appears out of nowhere and has me hold onto this for you," she says, pointing at the box.

"Do you know what it is?"
Alex says:
"A box," he responds, taken aback by the cold tone. "I can't seem to open it."
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
"Well, it's yours, now," replies your mother, fishing something out of her pocket- an old envelope. "I don't know why she never just gave it to you herself, or wanted me to wait until she died..."
Alex says:
"I'm sorry you didn't get to see her more," Alex tells his mother, asscepting the envelope and pocketing it for now.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
"I'm glad, at least, that she passed on everything she knew," she replies, embracing you.

"I don't know what they are, but it seems our family secrets are in good hands."
Alex says:
"I'll try to be worthy of them, and not betray your trust in me," Alex says rather formally, though the way he holds his mother back is warm.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
"I know you won't," replies your mother, hugging you tightly.

Your father enters shortly thereafter. "That was from the funerists," he replies. "Seems there's no beating around the bush- we'll be flying back to her home in a fortnight."
Alex says:
Alex nods, having expected that.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
"You'll be staying for dinner, Alex?" asks your mother, a rhetorical question. "Well, then..." She releases you, and starts heading over to the kitchen. Your father accompanies her, leaving you alone to inspect your inheritance...
Alex says:
Alex moves into the backyard, sitting down on the cultivated grass with his back to the house's outer wall, and carefully opens the envelope, trying not to rip it by accident.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
Alex finds a small iron key inside the envelope; it's very light, and is unmarked.

There's a small note as well. "Hello, Alex. If you are reading this, then I have passed on. My greatest regret is that while your mother had the spark, I never had the time, until it was too late.

This box was given to me by an old friend of mine. Inside it is something that you may need. I can only pray my death was of natural causes.

Stay away from your mother until it is safe. Do not open this unless you must. Keep it close at all times.

Remember, the sky is never still outside of art."

Alex says:
The words are chilling, and the sky dances madly in Alex's vision, before he closes his eyes again, resting the back of his head against the smooth surface of the wall. 'Until it is safe?' Until what is safe? Is he supposed to run off into the sunset without so much as an explanation, based on a note his grandmother must have written years back?

One thing does become apparent, and Alex adds the key to his house and car keys, easily within reach, and heads inside to find a suitable plastic bag to place away the letter and box, before seeking out his father. Alone, if at all possible.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
It comes to mind that english wasn't your grandmother's strong language...

Your father is in the lounge when you return, going through some papers- probably the details of the funeral, and other such things.
Alex says:
"I've been wondering," Alex asks without preamble. "The way you left that message for me, it sounded a bit strange. It's probably nothing, but... there is no reason to suspect--" He finds himself rambling, and cuts to the chase. "It was of natural causes, yes?"
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
Ever the pedagogue, your father launches into an explanation of what a stroke is, and how it can work, and eventually; while it's possible her diet might've had something to do with it, a stroke is just something that happens, often closer to old age than not. In short, natural causes is indeed the most likely culprit.
Alex says:
Alex raises his hands in surrender that is only partially faked. "I tend to over-analyze things, especially in situations like-- well, you know." He runs his hand through his hair. "Anyway, I'm sorry about this, but Granny asked me for this... I guess, her last wish. I think she wanted a painting at her funeral. Would it be a problem if I won't be staying past dinner?"
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
Your father sounds a bit dissapointed, but shrugs. "We have to do what we have to do," he replies.
Alex says:
"I think she's asking me to paint in solitude." Alex shifts uncomfortably. "Her English wasn't the best."
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
"Yeah... no, it's no trouble. You've been okay, right? Not staying out too late in general, I hope?"
Alex says:
"Not really. I can safely say my life's as normal as they come whenever I'm in Melbourne."
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
He snorts. "Sleeping in until noon isn't normal."
Alex says:
Alex manages a laugh. "I guess you got me, there."
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
He ruffles your hair, in that annoying way he always does.

The next few hours pass rather quietly. As expected, dinner is delicious; the pre-roasted chickens you can grab from shops never stack up to the home-cooked versions.

It's around seven when you finish up, and the sun is slowly starting to go down.
Alex says:
He had been meaning to visit the Eureka Tower at some opportunity, and one just presented itself. Spare canvas, easel and paint are all in his car's trunk, along with a variety of brushes; he never knows when he'll see something exceptionally beautiful, ready to be immortalized.

And since he doesn't want to go home just yet, Alex decides to head to the observation deck and distract himself by painting the sunset.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
Painting takes time, but the sunset obligingly stays where it is while you put it onto canvas. As far as rituals go, painting is remarkable.

Sorcery, your grandmother said, begins with langauge. Man needed to codify the world before they could change it, it's as simple as that. So, the powers that man wielded evolved at the same rate as langauge.

Naturally, a picture is worth a thousand words. If you have enough time to paint, you could change the sky itself. But it's not immediately useful magic, and there's no telling what long-term effects constantly changing the sky in this fashion could have.

Althought portraits could hold great power, words could be quickly pronounced... and thus they were the chosen magical tool of mages, your grandmother said.

Alex says:
It does make him wonder, as he paints, reminiscing on her words, just how many mages are there in the world. His grandmother's friend, perhaps, but who else? Alex can't, for the life of him, recall his grandmother talking about any kind of organization for mages, and with attitudes as they run these days, would the younger generation even want to learn this particular art? Or would it, like classical music, be left behind, considered archaic by teens, consigned to a slow, certain death?
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
Magic has been replaced by science, anyway. Putting great power into the hands of the few doesn't really do a lot for the world.

Back in the old days, it must have taken courage for the enlightened few to bring their knowledge to the masses.

There's a rustle next to you, and you see a crow has perched itself on top of one of the other viewing modules.
Alex says:
Alex adds the crow into the picture, locked in mid-air in vicious combat with a pale golden bird of myth, the fading sun as their background.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
Appearing to be watching you work, the crow caws, sounding rather pleased, and then flaps off into the sunset once the picture is completed.

By the time you realise it, it's dark.
Alex says:
Alex observes the city below, lights illuminating it like bright, colorful stars set in a chaotic sky of the swirling gold and red of car taillights, merged together.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
Naturally, you've got a good view of the river, as well. There's a boat slowly making it's way downstream, filled with tourists, most likely. You can see a couple trains running alongside it, too.

There isn't anyone else up here, though. It's not a spot that many people really know about, and besides, it's no cooler up here than it is down below.
Alex says:
It would probably be best to get back home, now, Alex decides. Remaining on the viewing deck appeals, but he doesn't fancy falling asleep there like a true bum.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
There's nobody else here to compare yourself to, along those lines. Stepping outside the viewing area, it's either a quick trip down via the eleavtor, or a long trip down via the stairs.
Alex says:
The elevator, clearly. And then, the shortest route by car.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
The elevator lurches into motion, and shortly shudders to a halt.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
*Ding!*
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
The doors open, and a petite woman enters. She's kind of cute, and dressed in a sharp suit. She's asian, by the looks of it, with short, pageboy hair, and she favours you with a brief smile as the elevator doors close and it starts trundling down again.
Alex says:
Alex nods in greeting, not in the proper mood for smiling, and patiently waits for the lift to reach its destination.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
The elevator soon reaches the ground floor, and dings it's way open. It'll be a short trip out; the elevators are located in a corridor away from the front exit.
Alex says:
Another nod at the petite woman, and he is off, drawing supplies gathered neatly together.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
When you reach the reception area, you find the great glass automatic entrance doors. Standing in front of them is another woman, wearing a white-grey shirt and a long red dress; one of those long, crinkled affairs.

Startlingly, she has ankle-length red hair, or so it seems. A vivid red, not a natural colour.
Alex says:
Striking, and Alex is taken back despite himself, as he is partial to both long hair and redheads. However, it is hardly the time, and he's not in the mood to make new lady friends at the moment, despite Tim's earlier suggestion.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
The other woman from the elevator strides past you, and seems to slow down as she passes by the redhead.

When she reaches the glass doors, they don't open.
Alex says:
Alex heads up to the doors himself, intent on trying to push them open manually if it wasn't a momentary glitch in the system and they don't open for him, either.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
It feels like you're walking through cobwebs, or a thousand tiny nets, each one hampering your movement by just a little.

The asian woman in front of you has stopped, and is dead still. The redhead turns to face you... she's pretty cute, too. She can't be older than 18 or thereabouts, and her shirt has a little red ribbon tied near the top.

The sunset behind her is refracted through a mosaic of reflective red strings that crisscross the glass doors. You didn't notice them until you got closer; they were too thin to notice.

An icy hand grips your heart, as if you stood before a raging lion. Instincts honed on paintings for years, old teachings you half-remember culminate in a sudden realisation; that woman before you isn't human. And then, she speaks.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
"Good evening. My master wishes for me to play with you tonight. As childish as this desire is, it seems I am duty-bound to obey."

The woman behind her starts to shake, as if shivering. You think you hear her squeak.

"Understand that I have no particular malice towards you. But, I will do what I must. Every Lancer, it seems, is doomed to slay the innocent. Do you have any last requests?"
Alex says:
And there are times he is glad for that unnatural calm, the analytical mind that settles over him, ruthlessly crushing emotion as logic burns through adrenaline to make him perform at his very best.

"A last request, is it?" Alex asks, feeling particularly proud that his voice does not tremble noticeably in the face of something so beautiful and animalistic, so terrifying, so inhuman. "If you're here for me, I don't think unrelated people should get involved. And, since we're having requests.... Hell, I'd like to know why _I'm_ involved."

He sets his drawing supplies on the ground as his arms go into his pockets, the image of nonchalance, while inside them his right hand grips the key he had received from his grandmother tightly. 'Don't open the box unless you must?' And now, this 'Lancer' creature appears, mere hours after? Coincidences like this flat out don't exist.
Emiya Kiritsugu says:
"The reason? Well, in a war between magi, it seems natural that they are the victims," she replies.

The woman behind her evaporates like so much water brought to fire. Only a dim, lingering crimson marks her passing.

"Now, I must hurry before the wrong sort of person sees us. If you run, I may not be able to deal with you in one blow- the result of this could be excruciating."

Her hair twists about, a malevolent tornado. Somehow, she remains perfect poise even as she lunges towards you-

[20:21] <Carthrat> The beautiful, inhuman redhead lunges towards her prey. As she draws closer, you can see the air around ripple; it seems translucent.
[20:21] * CC is now known as Alex_Breslau
[20:23] <Alex_Breslau> Alex kicks his painting gear towards her face in an attempt to slow her down, grabbing the bag with his grandmo
[19:14] <Annerose> Aww, mouth not outpacing brain after all?
[19:14] <Candide> My brain caught up

Carthrat

[20:50] <Carthrat> When you plunge into the elevator, you scrape the ground to get your keys. There- they're in your pocket. But the girl is recovering quickly, it seems... you've hit the button, but it's like you're walking through water as you try to escape. When you plunge outside, your right leg suddenly goes numb before the doors close, and you find yourself sprawling on the ground as it begins ascending- with deadly monster still in tow.
[20:55] <Alex_Breslau> Since escape, even temporary, was out of the question even while it seemed possible -- this woman found him, after all, and at a building he went to on a whim for the first time, not as part of his daily routine -- Alex ignores the numbness of his foot or the proximity of the recovering monster, and does his utmost to open the damn box. Curse that stupid letter and its warning, if only he had opened it ahead of time, he would have
[20:55] <Alex_Breslau> had the weapon already, that girl wouldn't have had to die....
[20:56] <Carthrat> The key slips into the box with a clink. You're still lying on the ground, with an odd feeling of weightlessness. The box opens, and there are two things in it.
[20:57] <Carthrat> The first is a piece of paper sticky-taped to the top. It reads, "If you do not know the way. If you are full of fear and doubt. If the world seems turned against you, you can still have faith in God."
[20:57] <Carthrat> The other thing is a silver comb.
[20:57] <Carthrat> And that is all.
[20:58] <Carthrat> Behind you, there's a thud, and then the scream of tearing metal.
[20:59] <Alex_Breslau> That comb better be a weapon! Alex grabs for it, so he could swipe it against the monster. He could always use it on its eyes, if it works.
[21:00] <Carthrat> The comb is fairly heavy (after all, it's made of metal), but not so heavy that a knife wouldn't be a better choice. The teeth might be sharp? Maybe? As you turn around, you realise you have other concerns, such as where your right leg below the knee has gone.
[21:00] <Carthrat> It's simply not there.
[21:01] <Alex_Breslau> "GYAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"
[21:02] <Carthrat> Nightmares swim through your head for a moment. The dream you had this morning, of the sun, it seems so far away. The tower you are in fades away, and for an interminable amount of time, is replaced with vivid colours, lights, and the sky, always the sky.
[19:14] <Annerose> Aww, mouth not outpacing brain after all?
[19:14] <Candide> My brain caught up