News:

Because we're grown ups now, and its our turn to decide what that means.

Main Menu

Arc 1: Leaving the Nest

Started by Bjorn, January 25, 2008, 06:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bjorn

There's a short pause, and then Ditchdigger roars with laughter, not unkindly.  "Well spoken, kobold!" he bellows, his manner less now that of a respectable businessman and more of a rural Maredian.  "It is too bad your so-nice manners didn't make you check how these things are done first, heh?"  He winks broadly.  "You come in here altogether, under arms! as if to say, 'We will fight for you, or with you!'  You do not tell me your skills, or the sort of work you wish to do, you only say, 'Give me a job!'  as if buying bread by the road.  Oh, yes, many brokers would not give you the time of day.

"But still," he adds jovially, rising to his feet, "I was the same, once, and Klaus, well... if I was not prepared to show you how it was done, then I would be repaying him poorly, heh?  Besides, I like your thinking, kobold.  Trust!  You trust me to give you a job, and so I will trust that you will do it well.  On such was Maredia built!"

As he speaks, he has gone over to one the cabinets and has started to shuffle through the stacks of paperwork within.  His voice is muffled, so it's rather a good thing that he's loud enough that it makes no difference.  "So first, you show me your charter. You have it, yes?  I gave Klaus his last job -- bad business, bad business, St. Celestine soothe him -- and so I will have the records to prove the charter is yours.  And while I find them you will me tell me your skills, and your name, too, for if we are going to trust each other, I cannot just call you 'kobold and company'!  And then we will talk about contracts."

Dracos

"Thank you, good sir," Mesina followed up, providing the requested document.  "We aren't used to it, as Berginer used to handle it all.  We're still the Free Company, as our charter states.  I'm Mesina ab'Sidir, skilled in archery.  Marcelo," She gestured to the tallest member of the company. "is a deadly bladesman and sorcerer."

She turned slightly, introducing the dwarf.  "Gwythyr here is also of a wizardrily bent, though through his songs and mace.  And..."  She turned to the kobold standing a bit back so he can be seen over the desk.

OOC: *leaves for introduction by Rudi
Well, Goodbye.

Ebiris

"My name is Rudi," the kobold replies, drawing in a faintly hissing breath. "Just Rudi. My own skills lie in the use of magic to... settle, conflicts," he smiles toothily, as if pleased with his euphemism.

"As you can see, we are a small group, but one with a diverse and formidable command of the arcane. Perfect for jobs that require both flexibility and subtlety." He glances around the room guardedly for a moment before venturing forth, "I myself have a particular interest in hunting down the aberrations, as they are called. Much can be learned from the bones of such beasts..."

Bjorn

Ditchdigger grunts.  "Ah, here we are," he says, pulling out a piece of paper at last.  "Klaus named Gwynthyr Vaughn successor on his last contract," he pronounces, reading it over.  Then reaching out to take the proffered contract, he continues, "And you have the contract of the Free Company, which descends to Klaus' successor.  So, Mr. Vaughn, you are very quiet for the new captain!"  He laughs at his own joke, and then looks around furtively in an exaggerated way.  "It means very little," he confides hoarsely.  "Klaus changed his successor on almost every contract.  I cannot think it was because they all died!"

Straightening, his brow furrows, and he begins to pace.  "So, small Company, skills of more subtle nature.  But, also, you are untested.  I do not mean poorly by this, understand, but you have only done work under Klaus, and Klaus was Klaus, heh?  How much of what you have done was done by him?"  He snaps his fingers, then, and strides over to his desk.  "Ah, I have just the thing!  A small thing.  Along the Coast Road, the pearl caravans to Brinitto have been losing outriders.  No harm has come to the caravans themselves, understand, or there would be much more concern, and the job would already be done, heh?  When one caravan guard leaves, well, perhaps he found a pretty girl, or other things better to do.  But this is more than one or two, and so the merchants wish to know why so many vanish so soon after one another.  The pay is 1,500 gold for finding the explanation, plus another 1,500 gold should you solve it."

Merc

"Sounds simple enough. We supposed to be replacing these missing caravan guards while we check things out, or that just up to us?" Marcelo asks, piping in after Ditchdigger explains the basics of the job.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Bjorn

"It is not part of the contract," Ditchdigger shrugs.  "Only investigation of the problem is covered."

Dracos

"Well, it is good to be clear.  Anything in the contract against us posing as such, or getting paid as such while we're doing it?"
Well, Goodbye.

Bjorn

"Posing?  No, it is not against the contract, though you would need to talk to the caravans to arrange this.  Getting paid for it?  A second contract at the same time?  I do not have that contract, so you would need to find the broker who does.  And I will tell you this about doing your job, ab'Sidir: if you take a contract to guard a caravan, then you must guard it, beginning to end.  If you go running off to solve the mystery that is your first contract, how do you finish the second, heh?"

Dracos

"Mmm, understood," She took the advice gracefully.  "Is anyone acting as contact on the merchant's side that we should get in touch with upon arrival?"

OOC: Anything else we should be handling before we head off?  We've got the price for the task, where it is, what it is, general agreement to do it,  and I'm asking who if anyone we need to talk with on the other side.  All that's left I think is saying 'We'll handle it Mr. Ditchdigger' and heading off for the area in question to begin investigating.
Well, Goodbye.

Brian

Gwythyr finally breaks from his silence at the back of the loose cadre.  "Words are a sparing coin," he says quietly.  "But we are united in our purpose.  It seems that the proposition is acceptable.  Let us not all lose our heads in the unfortunate manner of friend Klaus.  One assignment, one success, one foundation to begin anew.  Priorities.  Though you know it, I have not given it, so my name is Gwythyr Vaughn of Maggydd."  He pauses, dark eyes scrutinizing Ditchdigger.  "Is a signature required?"
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Bjorn

"Ah, yes," Ditchdigger says.  He's a bit hesitant, clearly put off a bit by Gwythyr's strange manner.  "The paperwork of the Empire.  Give me one second," he says, regaining his normal brusqueness as he heads over to a different cabinet.  "I must hunt for this, you understand.  Only the Free Company still uses this form still.  Ah, here we go!"  He pulls out a sheaf.  "So, here i fill out this bit," he heads over to the desk, "where I put down that the client was Enrico Puggliaci, on behalf of the pearl merchants, and that I brokered the contract."  After scribbling for a few minutes, he holds the pen out to Gwythyr.  "And here is where you sign that you have accepted the contract, and also you must name your successor.  This is the odd part of the form, you understand, as other Companies may not pass on their charter.  You may check the terms are as I said.  Any goods you find in the course of your work are your own, no advance payment, 1,500 gold for solving the mystery, or 3,000 for ending it, heh?

"While you do that," he adds, drawing out a blank sheet of paper, "I will write for you a letter of introduction to Puggliaci.  His offices are in Diver's Jetty, though I am not sure if he himself is in Brindisi at the moment.  Regardless, anything you might need to begin you will find with him."

Brian

"This is known," Gwythyr says softly, signing his name and company listing.  "My successor, also named."  Gwythyr has not discussed this with her, but then, Klaus had never brought it up with him, either -- the successor is listed as Mesina ab'Sidir.  Though he does not announce this to anyone, he doesn't take special care to hide it.  "Your services are invaluable as always, Ditchdigger, in navigating the unknowable barrens of imperial paperwork.  Gratitude is given."

He pauses, then surveys his companions.  "Or is something forgotten?"
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Dracos

"We've got a long walk to Brinitto, and it won't walk itself," Mesina agreed with making their way off, mentally making a note to pick up some things to sell along the way.
Well, Goodbye.

Bjorn

"Ah, here," Ditchdigger says, handing his stack of blank forms to Gwythyr.  "Take these with you.  Many brokers no longer keep them, and you would not wish in the future to lose a job because you could not fill out the paperwork, heh?"  He winks broadly.  "For myself, I will get more, but for others, you bring them with you.

"Now, good hunting, heh?  Your trust in me has been borne out, now I must trust in you!"

Ebiris

"Excellent," Rudi bares his teeth in a reptilian smile as the job is accepted. "We will discuss the issue with Mr Pugliacci or one of his representatives at the Diver's Jetty, and return to you when the job is done, Mr Ditchdigger."

He turns his attention to the other members of the Free Company, "Let us be on our way, yes?"