News:

"It occured to me while drunk, so it must have been genius."

Main Menu

The Black Gate is Closed

Started by Brian, February 26, 2008, 07:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Holmes snorts.  "She's ambitious, but harmless in the grand scheme of things," he says, shaking his head.  "Is there a particular reason you're inclined to violence?"
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Bjorn

That question receives careful consideration.  "Not really." 

Bjorn then lays out the details of the Jennings situation, focussing particularly on the need for some sense of the network around him, and whether any of those have recently been absent from the kingdom.  "And so, Inspector, what thinkest thou?"

Brian

The inspector considers thoughtfully for a moment in silence, tapping his pipe out into a small ashtray, then refilling it.  "Well," he says, after a moment, "anyone who has left has been quite careful about it.  At the same time, my personal suspicion is that Jennings would be unlikely to find the time to vanish, considering all of his friends and the society he surrounds himself with.  Perhaps on occasion...."  He trails off with a frown, and lights his pipe.  "No, one of his lapdogs must be doing the actual legwork.  Someone who he can trust with a device, and the secret in general, who is also close enough to willingly work on his plans."

He ponders, turning his attention to a flat disk that sits on his desk, inscribed with a deep network of lines.  "Kennington couldn't do it, he's too much in the public eye, and lacks the spine.  Voynich would love the opportunity, but would turn on Jennings given the opportunity to escape his supervision.  Massif is expected to be away on trips very often -- I would suspect him.  However, on that note....

"Tom mentioned that he'd seen someone in Windhurst, as I recall.  He also told me he'd recognize the man.  There's a rendering of Massif in the Greater Council Hall -- of all of the Council members, actually.  Earlier, I didn't think it would be a councilman, but if it is, then this will tell us in short order.  The only issue is that the Crown is forbidden from acting directly against the Council.  This would require a trial ... but exposure would ruin their plans, regardless."

~exploding tag~

Bjorn

"Well, then, reckon we need Tom.  Don't suppose you know where he is at th' moment?"

Brian

"I don't believe he's left the palace," Holmes says helpfully.  "He's likely with Nathan and Tim.  I believe they went to speak with Catherine."

~exploding tag~

Dracos

"Well, handy that they didn't go far.  Let's go.  The sooner we ascertain whether there's another dangerous individual out there with a device for bringing armies to this world, the better," Dracos headed out with the two, half following Holmes towards Catherine's chambers.
Well, Goodbye.

Brian

Shortly, the Inspector leads the group to Catherine's room, which it is not far away.  He checks his pockets for something while letting Bjorn or Phil go ahead and knock.

~exploding tag~

Bjorn

About to knock on the door, Bjorn pauses, hand raised.  He's been thinking about spirits, he realized, in a a way informed by the outlook of his current other-self, which is somewhat traditional-elemental-theory in base.  Which is not entirely sensible; after all, "air" or "fire" isn't really a fairly abstract concept... much like, say, door.  And so, rather than knock, he lets his finger rest gently against it and reaches out with his mind for the spirit of the door.

Brian

The spirit of the door is present, and feels a bit different then contact with an elemental spirit.  It's more defined, but at the same time, much weaker, more primitive.

The door is curious as to why it was awakened, but isn't quite intelligent enough to communicate with words.  Even so, Bjorn can understand it simply enough.

~exploding tag~

Bjorn

Silently, Bjorn explains that he wishes to have his presence announced to those inside the room.  How the door does this, he leaves up the  door.  Then he asks what price it would ask.

Brian

The door is in good condition externally, but the varnish conceals a flaw that the anchor-points for the door hinge screws have worsened: a good blow will break it open.  It wants that repaired, and and the people who replaced its good wooden panel to not mess it up again.

It takes a moment to realize that despite the door's simple perceptions, this damage was intentional.  But the door doesn't like it, because it interferes with the ideal state of 'door'-ness.  It will announce visitors in exchange for a promise to take care of it.

Holmes looks up from his watch and asks, "Is something wrong?" quietly.

~exploding tag~

Bjorn

Making the promise, Bjorn says aloud, "Someone tampered with the hinges.  The door can be broken down easily.  You'll need to get a good carpenter -- one you can trust -- in to fix it."

Brian

No sooner does Bjorn make the promise than the door follows through on its half of the bargain.

This thread now goes back to Questioning the Notion

~exploding tag~