News:

"I stand humbled by your vast My Little Pony knowledge."

Main Menu

[02] Loss and Understanding

Started by Merc, November 02, 2009, 02:55:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merc

Session Start: Sun Nov 01, 2009

<Merc> When we last left our young heroes, Maya had just jumped from the top of the building, not wishing to allow the villainous Kenmore to flee after his foul deeds. Her sword flashed through the sky and slashed downward at the villain, and successfully felled him, leaving his parting words only a curse. As combat ends, others soon join the powerful gypsy girl in the silent plaza.

* Maya shakes her blade slightly to get the blood off and looks around, a slight jitter in her arms the only real hint of the shock of the last few minutes as she glances over the several bodies in the square.
* Anassia looks down at the body, blinking a few times. "Who...?" she asks softly, paling slightly now that the adrenaline from the attack has worn off.
<Aleph> "Moyamoya...I know I hated being forced to work here, but I didn't want the place attacked..." Aleph commented, breath still ragged from the encounter
* Jack flicks the blood off his blades before sheathing them.
* Elise rushes out of the building, still ready for trouble if any foes remain.
* Aleph reslings his bow, and looks around...
<Jack> "What the hell was that all about?"

<Merc> The plaza seems mostly empty. The only people still there are you five, Cerisse and Skydale who seem to be in something of a mild argument, and a few bodies. You'd think a guard like Cerisse would have better priorities...
<Anassia> "...so what do we do?" Anassia asks softly as she looks around at the others.

<Aleph> "That bastard had some idea of things around here first.  This was rather premeditated..." Aleph moves to check the leader's body.  Perhaps there was paperwork or a letter...
<Aleph> He'd been in jail enough times to know that there's papers involved in armed groups.
<Merc> Aleph finds four gold coins, a shortsword, a pocketwatch with a picture of a dark-skinned woman on the inside of the cover, and a map of the town, with the plaza and the school both circled.
* Aleph grabs the coins, watch, and map. This was clearly planned...

<Maya> "How dare they...how could they come here and bring such to into a peaceful festival like this," She headed over to Cerisse, recognizing one of the town guards.  The events upstairs briefly put aside in favor of seeing if anyone could help the wounded. "Has Healer Joyce been called?"
<Merc> Cerisse meanwhile looks a bit startled as Maya grabs her attention away from her boyfriend, and she looks sheepish as she recalls the situation. "Oh, I'm afraid not. Everyone's just run away, I guess first step is to let everyone know danger's passed...Unless there's anybody left?" Cerisse winces a bit as she says the last part, apparently admonishing herself for arguing with her boyfriend without checking the rest of the situation.
<Maya> "I think their gone...they did something in the Mayor's room...but we should hurry!  Who knows if anyone could be saved!"  She spoke quickly, irritation in her eyes at the two of them.  "I will get her," Maya ran off, heading to the healer's hospice.

* Elise seems to be in somewhat of a daze now that the adrenaline rush of battle is wearing off. She starts making a circuit of the plaza to see if any of those lying on the ground are merely wounded, though likely she presents a ghastly sight to anyone she might rouse, coated in blood as she is.
* Jack checks the downed civvies to see if any are alive.
* Anassia looks as the others proceed to search the area for any survivors, before joining in with them numbly, still going over the proceedings in her head slowly.
<Aleph> "Alright, whoever's done this was checking this place out for a while.  Found a map with the exits and Dalian circled."

<Merc> All the civilians that were attacked by those mooks appear to be dead. If it's anything, they at least died fast, you think. The only bodies still breathing in the plaza are those that are up, and two of the mooks.
* Aleph looks over to one of the mooks. "Restrain them. We've got questions that need answered." he turned over to the others, suddenly looking serious for a change.
* Jack draws one shorts sword "Yes, they certainly have some answering to do."

* Elise looks up from her (apparently fruitless) search. "The academy? Maybe they've struck there as well! Someone--" Elise points at Jack, totally at random, "--tie these men up! I'm going to the school."
<Jack> "Wait, don't run off half-cocked."
<Aleph> "...oh hell."
* Anassia blinks over to Elise, before nodding in agreement with Jack. "Going alone isn't going to help anyone."
<Jack> "If we question these two first, we might get a better idea of what we're up against."
* Elise isn't listening. She seems glad for an excuse to not think about anything right now, actually, and turns to rush off to the academy.
<Aleph> "...Hell."
* Aleph heads off to follow Elise. At least to make sure she didn't get caught up in a swarm alone.
* Aleph calls back, "You three deal with those two!"

<Merc> Cerisse looks towards her boyfriend. "We can finish talking later. In the meanwhile, Jayce, go let everyone know the troublemakers have been taken care of. Let's try to make sense of what's happened."
<Merc> Jayce nods.

* Anassia blinks after the Aleph and Elise, before moving towards Jack. "Need any help?" she asks softly.
* Jack triese slapping one of the henchmen awake.
<Merc> The henchman merely groans, rather out of it. He's not really coming conscious, looks like he might need a bit of first aid, actually.
* Jack groans.
<Jack> "Damn it all."
* Jack attempts to patch the goon up.
<Jack> roll 1d20+8
<Penuche> Jack invokes Penuche's magic: < 16 > [d20=8]
<Merc> Cerisse shakes her head as she watches Aleph and Elise depart. "Don't worry too much, you two. Your friends shouldn't find any trouble...I think." She seems to focus on the mook as Jack patches him up a bit, rather than share her reasons for that thought. Looks like she wants some answers from the henchman as well.
<Merc> Jack might not have a lot of good tools at hand, but with what he's got, the henchman seems to start coming to. "...Boss?" he mutters groggily.
<Jack> "Your boss is dead."

<Merc> Meanwhile, Maya runs towards the healer's place, soon arriving near it. It looks like a few of the people from the plaza are there, and they're all talkign loudly about what was happening, and looking scared. They all quiet down when they see Maya.
<Maya> "Hurry, they're gone now..but who knows if any of the ones they attacked can be saved," She encouraged.  "Is Healer Joyce here?"
<Merc> "Did you take care of that man, Maya?" one of them asks, remembering seeing Maya jump straight o the balcony. They all seem to start muttering more loudly, as they swarm around Maya, wanting information.
<Maya> "He's dead," She nodded, her eyes a bit nervous.  "I can't believe anyone would start shooting arrows into a festival like that...it was horrible."
<Merc> "But you took care of him!" they all exclaim, looking amazed. "Wow!"
<Maya> She blinked, "It was...well," She brushed her hair back.  "Mama taught me the old style she used to use to take care of herself on the road.  But... time is of the essence...I couldn't tell, but some of them might still be alive," She was a bit overhyper, still coming down from all the craziness.
<Merc> "Some of them are still alive?!? But you took care of the boss!" The people start exclaiming, looking nervous again at Maya's words. "Should we go to our homes and hide?" One of them exclaims, "Why are you here! Take care of them too!" People see split between smacking the man or agreeing.
* Maya smacks the man with the back of her hand, "Wake up!  I meant our neighbors and townsfolk!  It is probably too late for Mr Jacobs, but who knows who is bleeding to death while you stand her yammering!"
<Merc> The people step back and look ashamed as they moved away, and let Maya passage into the healer's place. The healer seems to be bandaging up a crying girl, ignoring the noise from outside.

<Merc> "..huh? wha? dead?" the henchman mutters. His head is shaking, he seems dazed.
<Jack> "Why did you attack the festival? What are your plans?"
<Merc> The mook is silent, muttering nonsense as he tries to stand. Cerisse doesn't seem to be willing to let him get comfortable, and knocks him back down before Jack or Anassia can react. "Answer the bloody man..." the guard half-growls. The henchman just scowls and looks at the trio defiantly.
<Jack> "As I see it, you have two choices. You answer my questions and I let you live, alternativly, you don't cooperate, in which case I wake your buddy up over there, and have him watch while I mutilate. Then I ask him."
* Jack puts the tip of his short sword beneath the mans neck
<Jack> "What'll it be, the hard way, or the easy way?"
<Jack> roll 1d20+1 intimidate
<Penuche> Jack invokes Penuche's magic: < 17 > [d20=16]
<Merc> "I...I don't know nothing..." the man mutters, trying to look defiant at Jack, even as he winces as the short sword draws a drop of blood. "Just the boss and Barveles knew stuff..."
<Jack> "Who is Barveles?"
<Jack> "And I'm sure you know something. How many people did you come here with? What were your instructions?"
<Jack> "Talk before I spill your guts FOR you."

<Aleph> "Oi, oi!  It's kind of suicidal to throw yourself into a potential mob of, well, more of those guys, you know?" Aleph shouted towards Elise.
<Merc> Elise and Aleph soon make their way out of the plaza area, the school is seen off in the distance. There seem to be some bodies off in the distance...
* Elise picks up the pace and keeps her hammer at the ready, just in case there's still trouble about.
<Aleph> "Ah hell...Damnit, Elise, slow down before you get in more trouble!"
<Elise> "If there's trouble, better it find me than anyone else!" Elise calls back.
<Aleph> "...damnit." Aleph unslung his bow, following Elise in.  This woman apparently refused to listen to reason.

<Merc> "Barveles is the big boss....she's the one who came up with this kooky plan. All I know was we was supposed to make trouble here and get all the attention in this place..." the henchman spills out. "I swear I don't know nothin' else..."
<Jack> "Why did she want attention drawn here? Where is she?"
* Anassia frowns at that statement. "This place? You mean the plaza?" she asks.

<Maya> "Missus Joyce, could you come and help...I think there may still be people hurt from the attack in the plaza," Maya pleaded with her.
<Merc> The healer winces, and nods sadly, as she pats the girl on the back, and makes a "Shoo! Shoo!" noise. The girl sniffs and heads to her mom, her arm bandaged up. "Is the trouble over? Any survivors?" she asks as she grabs a medical kit and starts moving out of the place.
<Maya> "The trouble is over..and I do not know, Missus Joyce.  I'm not that good with bandaging and the like," She admitted easily enough, leading the way back toward the plaza.

<Merc> Elise quickly makes it to the school area. It looks like there's a lot of people either dead or injured. A big fight took place there....
* Elise moves to the nearest injured person. "What happened here? where did they go?"
* Aleph keeps an eye out, though he moves in closer
<Merc> The injured person groans as Elise approaches, his hand reaching out towards a nearby blade, only to stop as he hears the concern in Elise's voice. He lifts up his head weakly, and looks at Elise. "I don't know...we were attacked. It was just...chaos. They were mowing us over at first, but we started putting up a fight..." the student mutters.
<Aleph> "Moyamoya..." Aleph pulled out the map.  "...This school must've had something important."

<Merc> "I swear! I dunno! All's they said was somethin' about some guy and grabbin' him while security's low...I dunno why we even bothered with plaza...Me and the others just do as the boss tells us..." the henchman seems to be biting his lip as he says that, looking around, trying to find a way to get out.
* Jack narrows his eyes
<Jack> roll 1d20+8 Sense Motive. Is he lying?
<Penuche> Jack invokes Penuche's magic: < 13 > [d20=5]
<Merc> Cerisse mutters, "If they're grabbing someone, the plaza was just problably to mask noise from the school? This whole...-thing- was just a distraction?!?"
* Anassia looks up to where the other two left. "Why would they want to grab anyone from the school?" she asks simply.
<Merc> Cerisse shrugs at Anassia's question, and narrows her eyes as she looks at the henchman. "I swear! I know nothing about that!" Jack doesn't seem to tell if the guy's lying or anything. He looks panicked enough that he could be telling the truth, then again, he could just be lying to try and save his own ass.

<Elise> "It had wisdom and learning!" Elise says. "...Actually, I've never been here. But is IS a school."
<Aleph> "..." Aleph quirked an eyebrow at Elise.
<Elise> "What? Why do you look at me like that? Could something else be more valuable?"
<Merc> The injured student laughs in a negative fashion. "Well, theres plenty of 'important people', around here. Probably bleeding all over, though..." the fellow seems to have been rather derisive about 'important people'.
<Aleph> "Knowledge and wisdom aren't tangible, Elise.  You can't take those in an attack."
<Elise> "No. But you could destroy them."
<Aleph> "You could," he replied, "but what's the point in specifically targeting the school and the festival?"
<Merc> "Assassination?" the student suggests.
<Aleph> "Hm.  Possibly."  Aleph looks over the fallen.  Anyone notable there?
<Elise> "Were any of the isntructors killed, to your knowledge?"
<Merc> Nobody that Aleph would recognize. "I dunno. It was all so fast...I think I saw Instructor Aringer fighting against some dark-skinned woman over that way...Not sure who won though..." the student answers as he struggles to stand somewhat, pointing in one direction, towards the doors into the academy building. There's a couple of other bodies there as far as you all can see from where you're at.
<Aleph> "...Dark-skinned woman?"
<Merc> "Yeah, she was kinda big too..." the student notes.

<Merc> People seem to be trickling back into the plaza, looking cautiously from around corners, and then seeing no danger, cautiously approaching. From one of the entrances, Maya and the healer are approaching, while Jayce approaches from another.

* Jack looks to Cerisse and Anassia "What do you say, do we take his word for it, or do we carve him up in front of his buddy?"
<Maya> "What's going on?" Maya came over to see what the ruckus was.
* Anassia blinks towards Jack at his question, before Maya is a convienient distraction. "It was a distraction," she murmurs softly.
<Maya> "It was a distraction..from what?  What's going on?"

<Merc> "Heavens, who are these two? They're heavily injured..." the healer notes as she approaches. "Are they the only survivors?"
<Jack> "They're both part of the attacking party."
<Merc> The healer takes a step back at that. "....oh."

<Merc> "Dalian Academy. It looks like they were after someone there, athough I have no idea who...I don't think we're going to get anything else out of this man though." Cerisse notes, in answer to Maya's question. "Anybody have some rope? I'd like to get them secured and tossed into a nice cell until we figure out what to do with all this."

<Merc> The healer just looks around, not seeing anyone else alive. "There were no survivors?"
<Maya> "Truly...no one?" Maya was shocked at that, tears welling a bit in her eyes.
<Jack> "None, I checked them first."

* Jack searches the man for anything he might be hiding (tools, instructions, etc)
<Jack> roll 1d20+7
<Penuche> Jack invokes Penuche's magic: < 27 > [d20=20]
<Merc> The man giggles, revealing he's rather ticklish as Jack makes his search! An important discovery? It's the only one he made anyhow, outside of his weapon...

* Anassia falls silent as Jack searching the man, staring at the ground a number of feet away from the now-searched survivor.
<Maya> "I'm sorry Missus Joyce..I was sure some had survived," She shivered a bit and kicked the tied up man in anger, turning away and offering Cerisse some rope.  "Here, a bit from my act.  Do you think the Academy may still be in danger?"

<Merc> Cerisse thanks Maya, as she shakes her head in response. "I'd have stopped your two friends otherwise...I heard a horn sound earlier. That was probably a signal for them to finish their distraction. At least, I'm somewhat hoping that's the case...Hopefully it wasn't a cry asking for reinforcements from the plaza men?" She seems somewhat doubtful, but it's clear she's hoping her first guess was correct, as the second occurs to her.
<Maya> "Friends...did some head toward the academy?" She nodded. "I hope so as well...there's enough death for one day."
<Jack> "I hope you're right, I was worried it signaled the arrival of a larger force."

* Aleph pulls out the pocketwatch again.
<Aleph> Holding it close to the student, he then asked "Does this look...anything like what you saw?"
<Merc> The student narrows his eyes. "Yeah...I think that was her! The hell? Why do you have a picture of her? Don't tell me she attacked the school thinking you attend here after you knicked her panties or something?" Oh dear, looks like Aleph's reputation is getting the blame for this whole chaos now?
<Aleph> "As great as my reputation would have to be for that, no.  I got this off of the body of the leader from the attack on the square." Aleph notes to the student.
<Aleph> 'Though that might be an idea if she's not on the "kill on sight" terms,' Aleph thought.
* Elise walks to the dooor to take a closer look at those bodies.
<Merc> There's a few bodies by the entrance, none that Elise recognizes, though most seem to be in the same uniform, although there's a few dressed similarly to those from the plaza.
<Aleph> "Besides.  I don't think 'get their panties' is exactly the first thing on my mind if someone is trying to kill me."
* Elise turns to look at Jack and the wounded man. "Why are the two of you discussing underwear? This is a serious matter!"
<Aleph> "He suggested that the attack may've been revenge on me for one of my, err, 'stunts', on count of having a picture of their supposed leader." Aleph responds to Elise.
<Aleph> ...clearly not wanting to get killed with that hammer.
<Elise> "But it wasn't, right?"
<Aleph> "It wasn't.  Besides, I've never even seen the person in this picture before."
<Merc> "I'm still not sure..." the student mutters. Aleph's response -sounds- reasonable, but...Aleph's reputation...
<Aleph> "..."
<Aleph> "Yeah, uh, even if I would have, there's three problems with that.  I've never been far out of this town, I've never seen her before, and this would be clearly disproportionate retribution for such an act."
* Elise just shakes her head and drops the whole subject. "I'm going inside to see if there are more wounded there. Could you find a doctor for the injured here?"
* Aleph nods once to Elise, before running off toward the town centre.

* Jack looks to Annassia and Maya.
<Jack> "You two may want to check on your families first. I'm going to head to the acadamey."
* Anassia gives herself a brief shake at Jack's suggestion. "Of course," she says softly. Then she sets her mind to the task of trying to imagine where her brother would be.

<Merc> The healer looks hesitant, but motions for Maya. "Wait, before you go off and do whatever, let me wrap your wounds. You look like you took some hits from these monsters, and...well..." It's obvious she wants to feel more useful than she's been.
<Maya> she nodded, sitting and letting Joyce tend to her. "I am not doing more today, I hope...but you are right.  I had let them get far too close!"
<Merc> roll d20+8
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 17 > [d20=9]
<Merc> Joyce pulls out some bandages and wraps Maya's wounds after cleaning them, and treating them as best as she could.
* Maya stayed put, nodding her thanks to missus Joyce as she allowed herself to relax, some exhaustion at the event clear in her eyes.  "I think I will head to see if my parents are alright."

<Merc> Elise's search shows some more survivors inside. There's still a lot of dead people, but there seem to be a good deal from the enemy side, for all the good that does the students that are dead or injured.
<Merc> One room in particular seems to have mostly dead mercenaries, with the only two others having a uniform similar to the students. One is a large man, kneeling, and caked in dry blood....he's either dead or very near it. The other is an older balding man, apparently knocked out on one side. He doesn't seem very injured...
* Elise slings her weapon onto her back and rushes over to the kneeling man. "Sir! Do you need assistance? I can bring you outside. A doctor should be on the way."
<Merc> At Elise's touch, he topples over, collapsing against the younger girl. She can feel a weak pulse, but he's definitely out and in need of a healer's touch, so hopefully that healer will get there soon...
* Elise isn't inclined to wait. She'll carry him out there and meet the healer halfway if necessary.

* Jack starts to head off to the acadamy before pausing, and instead heading after Anassia.
* Anassia does head off to try and locate her brother and/or parents, glancing back to Jack when he follows behind her, surprised.
<Jack> "I saw what you did in the plaza. I take it your parents don't know?"
<Anassia> "No," Anassia says softly, glancing away from him,scowling slightly.  One hand move to the beltpouch on instinct.
<Jack> "It's probably best it stays that way. I won't say anything, and I'd reccomnd you do likewise. If they ask where you were, tell them you hid, or something."
<Anassia> "I'm not going to tell them," Anassia says flatly.  "Thank you for your silence," she adds after a moment's hesitation.
* Maya stands, heading off on her own as she went toward the small house her parents owned in the residential area, checking on them to see if they were alright.
* Jack nods and heads off to catch up with Aleph and Elise.

<Merc> As Jack and Aleph meet halfway, they quickly trade information, and rush to get Healer Joyce's assistance. Some time later, those who survived the assault are in makeshift beds, given as much attention as the healer can afford. Jack was a tremendous help to the healer, apparently having some minor training with taking care of people.
<Merc> The heavily injured man that Elise found is noted to be Instructor Salas, one of the head instructors. A few other instructors were noted to have survived, including the headmaster, Rikart Dalia, the older man that was in the same room as Salas. Various of the townspeople are also at the school, checking for the state of family members, or just helping out as best as they can as well.

<Merc> ooc - Maya's and Anassia's family are amongst those helping.

* Aleph sits down on the nearest viable surface. "Right...I still have no idea why they attacked the school, but someone connected to the leader we killed was on that attack."
* Aleph actually tried to help when necessary--though that was mostly for helping carry the wounded every now and then. This was a genuine problem situation, not just herd-watching work.

<Merc> "Alright, looks like the crisis is definitely over, and everyone that's alive is gonna be fine..." Healer Joyce notes as she rubs her forehead, and wipes off some sweat. Cerisse is talking with a few other guards, and they all nod at the healer's words. They look towards all those who helped fight in the plaza as Cerisse points them all out one by one.
* Anassia helps the other survivors alongside her family; the work makes it all the easier to not think on the occasion for another moment longer.
<Merc> One of the guards clears his throat and tries to gather the group pointed out by Cerisse. "I'd like to thank you all...you all did good," he tells them. Anassia's family looks a bit confused, -their- Anassia helped?

* Maya hurries about for a bit helping and lending a sunny smile and then gathers near the guards, seeing he was trying to get her attention.

<Aleph> "...oi.  I may hate work and be a lech, but I'm not exactly the type to watch people get slaughtered."
<Aleph> ...he really hoped he wasn't going to be recommended to be a guard though.  Then he'd have to do something on a regular basis.

<Elise> "We did only what any righteous person would do when faced with a senseless slaughter," Elise says.

* Anassia glances towards her family at the guard's announcement.. "I didn't do anything, really," she mutters as she turns back to face him.
<Merc> "Of course you did!" Cerisse points out at Anassia's demure disagreement. "I'm sure I saw you scare off two of those men! Admittedly, not sure how a slip of a girl like you pulled -that- off..." The other guard nods. "I'm sure you're right, but you still did good, all of you. We're still trying to make sense of what happened here, so your continued help is also appreciated."

<Elise> "It looks like their goal was the school, though I don't know why. I saw many dead men there, maybe more than they sent to the plaza."
<Aleph> "...well, I've got a lead on someone who may be at least behind the attack, at least.  Student claims they've seen this person at the school.  ...right before accusing me of instigating it beforehand."
<Maya> Maya gave them a weak smile. "I just did what any good girl should," She insisted.  "but why did they do it?  What cause did they have?"

<Merc> "...don't let them take him, Salas," a voice rasps out from one of the beds. "Salas! Protect the boy!"
<Merc> It's the headmaster.

<Elise> Elise's eyes widen. "They are kidnappers as well as murderers?"

<Jack> "My, how convenient."
* Aleph quirks an eyebrow.
<Aleph> "Very."
* Aleph walks over to the headmaster. "Don't let them take who?"
<Merc> The guard shakes his head at their statements, even though he agrees. "True, but let's get some answers. It looks like Headmaster Dalia has them..."

* Anassia grimaces slightly at Cerisse's insistance, before glancing towards the headmaster. "Salas?" she asks softly, glancing to the others.
* Aleph shrugs.
<Aleph> "Nothing comes to mind."
<Jack> "Wasn't he the injured man you found?"
<Aleph> "Yeah, but...who was supposed to be protected.  Who is this 'boy'?"

<Merc> The healer rushes towards the headmaster, and soaks a towel, before pressing it against the headmaster's forehead as the man grimaces, turning and muttering. "Salas! Watch your back!" he calls out as he sits up, arm stretched out, startling the healer. The headmaster is gasping for his breath, his hand stretched out. He still seems a bit out of it.
<Aleph> "...Sounds like he's...how do I put it...'reliving' it?"
<Aleph> "The attack, I mean"

<Merc> The head guard nods at Aleph's words, and moves closer to the bedridden man. "Headmaster, it's over....please, we need some answers," he asks as he puts his gloved hand on Rikart's shoulder. That seems to get the headmaster's attention. "Over?"
<Elise> "Ah, headmaster?" Elise looks hesitant about pressing an injured man about anything, but does it anyway. "Who was taken? what boy?"
* Aleph grasps the pocketwatch, showing the picture on it to the headmaster. "And how directly was this woman involved?"

<Merc> "Oh no...no, no, no, no, no..." the headmaster mutters, his eyes widening at seeing the picture, as he looks around and sees the heavily bandaged body of Salas. He jumps out of the bed, and moves towards Salas, where he slams his fist on Salas' chest. "Dammit Salas! You let them take him!" he snarls, looking afraid. Joyce looks horrified. "Stop that! That man is heavily injured!"
<Jack> "Take WHO?"
* Aleph moves to grab the headmaster before he kills himself.
* Elise also moves to restrain the headmaster. Can't have him beating up the wounded!

<Jack> "With all this commotion, you'd think someone kidnapped the prince!"
<Merc> The headmaster falls to the floor and moans at Jack's words. "The prince...that woman -did- take the prince..." The guards look confused. "The prince? What on earth was he doing here of all places?"
<Aleph> "...Huh?  There was a prince?"
* Jack stands there, mouth open for a moment.
* Jack jaw moves up and down a few times, but no words come out.
* Anassia stares at the headmaster as well, brows arched slightly. "...you jest," she says, simply.

<Aleph> "...okay, you're probably in shock of the attack.  Get back to bed."  And with that, he tries to get the headmaster up and lead him back to the bed he was in
<Merc> He just continues to moan. "Oh, I only wish it were so. We had taken so many precautions to hide his identity...I just don't understand...they -knew-...they KNEW!!!"
<Aleph> "...okay.  If there was a prince, why would he be here?"
<Aleph> "Why not...where the hell princes normally live.  Castles or whatnot."
<Anassia> "And why without any sort of entorage?" Anassia asks, rubbing her head.
<Jack> "Yeah, even if you were trying to be discreet, not having a guard detail's just askin' for trouble. Clearly."

<Merc> "Why else, you buffoon? To -learn-. The boy was supposed to get a normal education. To everyone else, he was just some minor noble. With Salas and Aringer around, and his identity secret, he...he SHOULD have been fine...Oh god, my academy's reputation..."
<Aleph> "Oi, oi.  I'm a slacker, not a buffoon."

<Elise> "Has someone been sent to inform the royal family? If there are traitors in their midst, they need to be found immediately!"
<Aleph> "Could be outsiders."
<Jack> "And they need to dispatch someone to rescue the prince. They have people for that, right?"
<Maya> "This could be worse...if word gets out of this happening, it could cause folks to doubt our home...  It could damage the trade here," Maya was a bit more pragmatic, knowing that if the academy truly fell further in notice it'd really be felt by all of the village.
<Aleph> "...hoo boy."
<Aleph> Aleph...being the slacker, didn't really earn too much of a living.  However, trade being damaged was bad.  Damaged trade brings in less outsider girls!
<Anassia> "We can't not tell the royal court," Anassia says, glancing to Maya.

<Merc> The headguard shakes his head with a grimace. "I'd love to send people after them, but we wouldn't even know where they're hiding. Not only that, do we even have people capable of taking on someone who'd down Salas? No, our best course of action is to send word to the king, and get some reinforcements." The headmaster snarls at that. "No! You -must- rescue the boy! Most of their men were heavily injured. You can't tell me you're afraid!"

<Jack> "Hmmm... There's good money in rescuing royalty I imagine..."
<Maya> "...Where did they go?" Maya asked, her shoulders slumped.  She wasn't a solider and neither did she really fight for a living, but she did love her hometown and didn't want to see it get caught in the middle of royal intrigue further.
<Aleph> "...moyamoya..." Aleph puzzled in his head for a bit...before considering..."Sure, I'll go."
<Elise> "Our hearts are strong!" Elise declares. "We fought them off once. We will do so again."

<Merc> "We did have some surviving prisoners we could question..." Cerisse points out.
<Aleph> "Let's, then."  Aleph nods.  He seemed interested in going, anyway...
<Merc> The headguards grimaces. He's clearly against the idea of chasing after the kidnappers after all the destruction they've caused and would rather rely on someone else.
<Anassia> "You /can't/ be serious," Anassia says, glancing towards the others after their speedy assent.
<Aleph> "Hell yes I am." Aleph responds.  "I've got my own reasons for wanting to do so, anyway."
<Elise> "Of course we are. And so should you be, as well! Your talents should be put to use for the good of all."
* Maya blinks at the girl, having not seen what she could or couldn't do yet.  "They killed our friends and worse have risked our entire town.  I cannot think of a more terrible disaster to see here."

<Merc> "You all are willing to rescue the prince?" the headmaster asks, looking gleeful as he looks over a potential list of volunteers. "They're kids!" The headguard protests. "...who took down the guys in the plaza." Cerisse points out. "Dammit, Cerisse! We need to inform the king!"
<Aleph> "...Now, now.  You'd think you'd be glad to be rid of me." Aleph interjects
* Maya turns and raises an eyebrow at the guard, then decides to take it as a compliment, even though she crosses her arms meaningfully and glares at the guard captain.
<Anassia> "We are not soldiers," Anassa reminds Maya, softly.  
<Merc> "Look, just send these 'kids' to save the prince. If they're successful, great! You can go inform the king in the meantime..." Dalia tries to convince the headguard. "And if they fail?!?"
* Aleph turns toward Anassia. "And yet you've never wanted to see for yourself what lies beyond the gates?"
<Aleph> "I'll spare you the song and dance, mind you, but it sounds more like a win-win situation to me."

<Merc> "...I want to know what this talk is of sending my daughter out of the city?" Matthias, Anassia's father, asks as he lays a hand on his daughter's shoulder. "She's said it herself, she's not a soldier."
<Anassia> "Not to run down murderers and save a prince," Anassia protests weakly, glancing towards Aleph, before jumping as she looks up to her father.
<Maya> "Then stay here," She nodded.  "No one was speaking of dragging you.  I do not understand why you are even concerned..."

<Jack> "We're losing time, let's get a move on."
* Jack gestures for Aleph, Elise and Maya to follow him.
<Aleph> "Pah.  It's an opportunity along the way.  You have to look at the side-benefits."  Aleph was thankful that no music came up suddenly.  Acid sequences would suck.  "Besides...I don't think my arrows alone would spook those bastards so easily."
<Aleph> "And hey.  Who made you leader, anyway?"

* Elise moves to follow Jack, but tuns a disappointed look on Anassia before leaving. "You should come with us. Using magic is sinful behavior, but if you use it for the good of others the blemish on your soul will be lifted!"
* Jack facepalms.

<Merc> Matthias blinks at that. "...magic?!? Anassia! You said you'd stop messing with that book!" Anassia's dad sounds upset, as his grip tightens on his daughter's shoulder.
* Anassia makes to reply to Aleph's statement, but turns towards Elise quickly, blood draining from her face. "...eh?" she asks blandly, before turning to her father. "I... I... I /meant/ to?"

<Maya> "Magic...?  In truth?"  Maya's eyes widened as it was a particularly rare sight out here.
<Merc> "...aha! So that's how you scared those henchmen! Some magical illusion, I bet!" Cerisse notes as she slams a fist into her palm, as if some random mystery was solved.
<Aleph> "...Magic?  ...hell.  That explains a lot."

* Elise seems surprised. "Her parents didn't know?" she wonders aloud. "But children should share everything with their parents!"
<Aleph> "...Uh, Elise?  Look at his hand.  There's a reason children don't."
<Merc> "Anassia Lorit! You swore you'd not deal with that...that...that -sorcery-! Next thing you'll be telling me is that you kept that disgusting squirrel thing!" Matthias admonishes.

<Jack> "I'm almost afraid to ask but... Squirrel thing?"
<Aleph> "Okay, now I'm curious."
* Anassia frowns slightly to her father. "He isn't disgusting," she mutters darkly, glancing away.
<Elise> "But if her parents had known from the start then they would not need to be angry now, correct? So--....'squirrel thing?'"

<Merc> "Dear...you're not saying you -did- keep it, did you?" Merian interjects, her face scrunched up.
<Merc> "What are you guys all talking about?" Valak asks as he joins in as well. "Is Anassia in trouble? Huh? Huh? Is she?"
<Aleph> "...Alright, alright, this has gone far enough."
<Anassia> "Of course I did!"  Anassia says, looking to her mother.  "Do you know what it's like, living in isolation?!"

<Merc> "...Valak, go help your mother over...over there..." Matthias pauses before pointing in a random direction. Merian nods as she tries to direct Valak away. "Oho! She -is- in trouble! What'd she do anyway? I heard something about a squirrel, it sounds hilarious..."

* Aleph decides to push in between Anassia and Matthias. "Frankly, you're coming off as I've seen the town do so to me at times. Confining."
<Merc> "Young man, frankly, I don't think this matter concerns you. Even if it did...do you know what forces my daughter is messing with? Anassia...that sorcery you're messing with...it's -dangerous-. You could hurt yourself. You could hurt someone else. You just -can't- trust it."
<Aleph> "And isolation?  What the hell.  No, seriously, what the hell."
<Elise> "But living in isolation just gives you time for meditation. It's a chance to become closer to god! Like St. Barnabas when he was lost in the desert for ten years." Elise nods. Clearly this should be understood by any educated person.
<Aleph> "Excuse me, I have a reputation around here, and it's not as 'young man.' "

<Maya> "Superstitious...  But it is a dangerous art to study," Maya shook her head and then glanced at Elise.  "St...who?"
* Anassia actually spares a disbelieving glance for Elise, in lieu of an actual comment. "And that's why I practice. And it's not like I am putting anyone else in danger..."
<Aleph> "Furthermore, sounds more like you have issues, what with this supposed keeping her in isolation.  Lemme guess.  Too strange for the world so you hide her?"
<Aleph> "Yeah.  Like keeping people hidden seems to help with anything.  Did a shitload for the prince."
<Merc> "And what if you blow -yourself- up, Anassia? Do you thnk I want to lose my daughter? And you, -boy-, silence! I have not isolated my daughter or son!"

<Elise> "St. Barnabas," Elise calrifies for Maya. "He walked for ten years to cross the Grapp Desert. His camel was killed while fleeing the vile Epheisites, remember?"

<Aleph> "I.  Am.  Not.  Boy.  I have a name." Aleph glares at Matthias.  "Not that you seem to be bothered to remember it."
<Anassia> "I'm not going to blow myself up."  Anassia says, before quirking an eyebrow slightly to Aleph.  "...you're not helping."
<Aleph> "Neither is he, honestly."
<Merc> "You're getting involved in matters that don't concern you. That makes you a boy," Matthias argues as he rolls his eyes, deciding to just ignore Aleph. "And how do you know you're not going to blow yourself up, Anassia? All it takes is -one- mistake. Magic is not one of those things you learn from your mistakes!"

* Jack crosses his arms and taps his right foot
<Aleph> "I fought in the attack.  You didn't."
* Aleph turns around and walks off, allowing that to set in.

<Maya> "Elise, are you confused?  There is no Grapp desert.  And ten years in a desert is a good way to die."
<Elise> "Of course there is such a place! You would know if you studied more. And Hapshulam provided for him when he needed food or water. A less holy man might starve in a desert, surely."
<Maya> "Elise, there isn't anyone more studied of geography in this town," She pouted.  "Where did you hear such a strange tale?"

<Anassia> "Yes, it is.  I have made mistakes.  More than I care to remember." Anassia says, frowning again.  "I know well the price of failure."
* Aleph pauses. "Anassia, I for one would be welcoming of your aid in our mission. Risks of magic or no."
<Merc> Matthias rubs his temple as he just looks at Anassia. "Look, you can keep the dis...the squirrel thing. But you are giving me that book you are learning out of once we get home. And I am burning it. I have no desire to bury my daughter before her time."
<Anassia> "...no!"  Anassia says, offended.  "You can't just /burn/ something like that!  It is priceless!"
<Merc> "It's going to get you -killed-, Anassia! Why can't you see that?!?"
<Aleph> "So is anything else risky.  Not like it stops people from doing it."
<Aleph> "And as far as I'm aware, it's stopped her from getting killed.  So I'm certain that the risks have proven worthwhile."

<Jack> "As interesting as all of this is, we're losing valuable time, or did you all forget that the prince is currently in the hands of a group of violent maniacs?"

<Merc> "...and you want to trust the life of the prince on them?" the headguard whispers to the headmaster. The headmaster just shrugs. "Mental illness builds character..."
<Merc> Cerisse just shakes her head and heads towards the jail cells to have a talk with the prisoners, while drama goes on. Once things get decided, she should be able to quickly pass along information.

<Jack> "Anassia, are you in or out?"

<Anassia> "I am smart enough to control this!" Anassia insists.  "With but a signle book, I learned everything.  Imagine what I can accomplish in a decade.  Or two!"  She blinks at Jack's comment, turning toward him slowly.  "It was decided for me, it appears."
<Jack> "Then lets go interrogate the prisoners so we can get after the prince."
<Merc> "Anassia...please. Do. Not. Trust. Magic..." all Matthias can do is try to plead. He won't budge on letting Anassia keep doing magic however.

* Aleph rolls his eyes. 'Who the hell put him in charge of everything?' he thought.

<Elise> "In the Septinomicon, of course. So it must be true."
* Maya blinks a bit at Elise. "That...is not a book I recognize."
<Elise> "But..." You can almost see Elise's synapses shutting down. "You poor heathen! I can lend you my copy later."
<Maya> "If...you say so,"  The girl seemed a bit addled in the head...and with those kinds of arms, Maya didn't feel much need to insist upon her lack of sanity.  She leaned back against the door, "Are any guards coming along?" She asked the guard captain.

<Merc> --- ooc ---
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.