Session Four: Dwagons

Started by Jon, January 31, 2010, 11:54:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon

<GM> Last session, you ventured into the mournland, stole stuff from out under the noses of some rather dumb warforged, fought some even stupider warforged, then had to deal with the weirdness of the mournland itself.
<GM> Sim was not herself for a few days, but the next few weeks were downtime anyway. You cleverly hid all the wands inside Thranish handcrafted dolls and joined a caravan heading back towards Sharn.
<GM> The only real unpleasantness happened when a street urchin stole one of the dolls to give to his sister. Nobody quite knows what happened to him after that...
<GM> But now you are back in Sharn. In a tavern in Clifftop, you found a private airship captain heading to Newthrone in Q'barra. Your gold and your other means of persuasion quickly let him see the benefit of taking you on as passengers, asking as few questions as possible.
<GM> ~~~BEGIN~~~
* Alis casually takes a circuit of the boat, checking out the airship as it flies around, moving quietly along the sides of the passage.  Really, if no one was particularly looking down, they might not even notice he was in the hallway.
<GM> It's in great condition -- just about all airships are, compared to watergoing vessels, since you can't swim away from a shipwrecked airship. That said, a lot of the finer details you'd expect from a Windwright ship are lacking. The crew is minimal and taciturn; the captain prone to drinking.
<R-66Y> "How long is the journey supposed to take again?" Impulse asks the others.
<GM> But it looks like it'll get you where you're going.
* Sim lounges on one of the railings peaceably in the guise of a rather shifty looking half-elven male, eyes gazing upward. "Don't like the trip?" he asks of the warforged amiably.
* Karu is reclining on whatever given furniture there is. "About a few hours, I think." he replies, seeming completely relaxed again
<Karu> OOC: Scratch that
<Karu> "About a week, give or take"
<R-66Y> "I am simply curious," Impulse answers, before nodding to Karu.
* Karu has, of course, bothered to compose his psychic focus. Fortunately, he hasn't needed it as of recent. (Assuming a take 20 on psionic focusing. It's been long enough)
<GM> Not a lot to do on-ship, though there's plenty of scenery to look at. The crew might be willing to play Three-Dragon Ante with Sim or Alis; the other two of you are just too strange. Sim also discovers some modest magical supplies locked in a cupboard near the wheelhouse: for in case of pirate attacks, the captain explains.
* Karu is clearly strange. :P
<GM> The bulk of the trip passes without incident, but as you near the Endworld mountains to cross into Q'barra, two specks appear on the horizon, lifting from the mountains.
* Sim naturally would try his hand at relieving the crew of their gold; naturally, any gold lost is simply to bait them. For now, though, lounging is good.
<GM> If any of you are keeping a lookout, you could make a spot check.
<Alis> roll 1d20+3
<Penuche> Alis invokes Penuche's magic: < 15 > [d20=12]
<GM> You make up your mind about what's coming only moments before the crew's lookout does; those are two dragons, of average size, winging their way towards you.
<GM> They'll be upon you in about five minutes; the ship can't hope to outrun them.
<Alis> "Hmph.  It figures,"  Alis made his way to the captain's room.  "You've got dragons on your tail.  Two of 'em.  What's it worth to you for us to handle it?"
<GM> Alis: want to make an intimidate or diplomacy or some other form of check?
<Alis> roll 1d20+9 intimidate.  I should get a bonus for being ridiculously obnoxious.
<Penuche> Alis invokes Penuche's magic: < 14 > [d20=5]
<GM> "I'll take you all the way to wherever you're going," he replies. "And I point out, we are thousands of feet up in the air. You're in the same boat I'm in. So, what's it worth to YOU for you to handle it?"
<Alis> "eh, I can wait really," He eyed simply and calmly.  Sure, it was likely to risk the luggage.  "I mean, its no skin off my nose if your folks take the brunt of it.  I mean, I'm sure they're not worth that much gold in skin," He turned to start heading out slowly.
<GM> By this point you can make out that the oncoming dragons are white dragons.
* Alis heads over, waving to the rest of the group. "We've got white dragons inbounds.  First order of business, make sure you have a secured escape with the cargo.  Second order of business, enjoy the show for a bit before we join in.  Captain doesn't find some repair and rehire bills worth paying us to take care of it early."
* Sim quirks an eyebrow slightly. "We're not going to protect the ship?" he asks, simply curious as he stands. "Which reminds me: there's a cabinet I'm curious about." He moves back towards the captain's room leisurely.
<Karu> "...I'd rather take care of them as soon as possible and protect our ship."
<Karu> "And whites?  Duly noted."
<R-66Y> "Agreed. Think the boss would be pleased if we lost any of the cargo?"
<GM> The captain looks up as you enter the wheelhouse, Sim. "Your companion change his mind?"
* Karu does, however, wait a couple of minutes for the dragons to get closer...
* Sim simply shrugs. "Eh. He's like that to everyone. I'd say no to hold it against him but we all do," he says, conversationally. "I was curious, though, about that cabinet."
<GM> "Oh! Yeah, now's a good time for an unfair advantage. You a mage?"
<Alis> "Eh," He shrugged. "We won't lose the cargo.  But the same time, there's no reason not to sweat him out a bit.  Last I checked, we weren't working for free and it's not like he doesn't have sailors to get eaten by them first."
<GM> He fishes a key out of a pocket and hands it over. "I'll expect an accounting of what you used after it's gone. I know what's in there, mind."
<Sim> "I might have picked up some tricks here or there," he says, before taking the key and flashing a winning smile.  "Why of course."  And then, of course, to investigate the cabinet.
<GM> Sim: not much, but inside the cabinet you find an eternal wand of feather fall, some scrolls of hold person and charm person, and a scroll of mass flight.
* Karu looks over at the direction the dragons seem to be coming from. How big do they seem to be?
<GM> large enough to be adults, but they're a bit on the lean side
<Karu> roll 1d20+8 knowledge[Arcana]
<Penuche> Karu invokes Penuche's magic: < 9 > [d20=1]
<GM> Karu: you remember that white dragons have an affinity for cold.
<GM> common sense would imply they also are vulnerable to fire
* Sim scoops it all up. Better to be prepared, and all. Concluding his business he joins the others outside. "It's not all lost, my friends." God, the cheer is incessant.
<Karu> "Oh?"
<Sim> WJ
<Sim> The good captain just happened to have some useful goods on hand and it would be such a shame for them to go to waste.  He nods a few times.
<Alis> "Convenient," He took a look outside to see how it was proceeding.
<GM> The dragons have split apart to take each side of the ship.
* Karu stands, focusing. "Focusing Psionic Matrices. Type P-D, Pc-O, Pn. Amplifying P-D to double output. Target-type S."
<GM> As they get within a hundred feet, a cloud of fog suddenly appears over the ship's front half.
<GM> you may roll initiative if you like
<Karu> roll 1d20+5
<Penuche> Karu invokes Penuche's magic: < 21 > [d20=16]
<GM> roll 1d20
<Penuche> GM invokes Penuche's magic: < 12 > [d20=12]
<R-66Y> roll d20+4
<Penuche> R-66Y invokes Penuche's magic: < 20 > [d20=16]
<Alis> roll 1d20+11
<Penuche> Alis invokes Penuche's magic: < 20 > [d20=9]
* Sim pulls out the scroll of mass flight. It is a shame to have to use this rather than learning from it. A faint sigh, before he proceeds to recite from it. Ten minutes of flight each, here we come!
<Sim> roll 1d20+4 initiative
<Penuche> Sim invokes Penuche's magic: < 7 > [d20=3]
--- GM has changed the topic to: Acquisitives: Welcome to Ackbar's Discount Armor. "Impose Halfling" shield now 75% off! | Karu is the ghostreaver. | Karu, Alis, Robo, Dragons, Sim
<GM> Okay. you guys can fly a bit faster than the ship, and have good maneuverability. The dragons can fly MUCH faster, but have poor maneuverability. Lacking a game board, i'm just going to have them swap places every round. They're attacking from either side of the ship, so you'll likely have to split up to defend it.
* Karu completes his focusing...but only manages to let one of the effects off, apparently...
<Karu> Opening his eyes, he seems to perceive the world more acutely...
<GM> Okay. Any move actions, or is it Alis's go?
<Karu> No move yet
<Alis> "Hmph," Alis slips off to the side, seeming to fade away in the brief bits of shadow along the ship as he moves to examine them closer.
<Alis> roll 1d20+23 hide
<Penuche> Alis invokes Penuche's magic: < 34 > [d20=11]
<Alis> roll 1d20+16 move silently.
<Penuche> Alis invokes Penuche's magic: < 32 > [d20=16]
<Alis> OOC: Anyone else out fighting the dragons at this point?
<GM> Alis: not yet.
<GM> the crew are still busy prepping
<Alis> OOC: Surprising.  Staying in wait for a moment.
<GM> The dragons don't notice you. White dragons are widely reputed to be the stupidest of dragonkind; that may or may not be true, but it certainly is the case here.
<GM> They are single-mindedly focused on the ship
<GM> any other action? if not, Robo
* Alis is just getting fairly close then.
<R-66Y> Impulse draws his sword and holds his action for now, given the distance, and stands ready to defend the ship once the dragons make move to attack.
<GM> Okay then.
<GM> The dragons close to about 20 feet off either side and target the ship's deck with their breath weapons
<GM> Cone of cold. if you're within 10 feet of the rail, you're in it.
<GM> but R-66Y is gonna throw his sword.
<GM> which _never_ works.
<R-66Y> As soon as he sees the dragons open their mouths, Impulse draws his arm backwards then launches his blade at the closest's mouth to shut it, letting it fly like  boomerang!
<R-66Y> roll d20+10
<Penuche> R-66Y invokes Penuche's magic: < 28 > [d20=18]
<R-66Y> roll d20+10 threat!
<Penuche> R-66Y invokes Penuche's magic: < 16 > [d20=6]
<GM> Amazingly, you hit the dragon's tongue
<R-66Y> roll 2d6+2
<Penuche> R-66Y invokes Penuche's magic: < 8 > [d6=2,4]
<GM> and that prevents that dragon from breathing. but the other one does! who's on the opposite side from R-66Y?
<GM> R-66Y is on the Port side. I'm gonna say Karu is as well.
<GM> Sim and Alis are on starboard
<GM> 5d6
<GM> roll 5d6
<Penuche> GM invokes Penuche's magic: < 15 > [d6=5,2,4,2,2]
<GM> make reflex saves for half damage
<Alis> roll 1d20+11
<Penuche> Alis invokes Penuche's magic: < 16 > [d20=5]
<Sim> roll 1d20+7
<Penuche> Sim invokes Penuche's magic: < 8 > [d20=1]
<GM> Both of you take the full brunt of its icy blast.
<GM> Okay, now it's wizard time.
* Sim winces as the cold bites at him, scowling slightly as shadows begin to envelope his form before he lifts his hands to begin reciting the reality-defining words of a spell! Haste on all of us! Then he ascends rapidly, no doubt acclimated through other castings, up 40 and draws his blade! Cue pose dramaticus.
<GM> As the ship moves forward, it comes into the middle of the fog bang. Everyone on the ship can only see 5 ft. The fog fades away as you get five feet past the rails, though.
* Karu takes a running jump over the rails, before leaping into the fog, aware of both his flight and increased speed...
<Karu> (Jump check to clear the rails and not have it count against my speed at all?)
<GM> sure.
<Karu> roll 1d20+21 jump
<Penuche> Karu invokes Penuche's magic: < 37 > [d20=16]
* Karu leaps over the railing, flying out through the layer of fog surrounding the bow of the ship
* Karu draws his falchion in the process...how close would the dragon seem to be at this point?
<GM> There is a mean-looking dragon not 20 feet away.
* Karu decides to launch an attack at said dragon..."Focusing psionic matrix. F-type, Pattern S, H. Initializing"
<Karu> ...as a bolt of flame flew at the dragon...
<Karu> roll 1d20+6 versus PR
<Penuche> Karu invokes Penuche's magic: < 26 > [d20=20]
<GM> The power takes full effect against the dragon.
<Karu> roll 6d6+12 FIAR
<Penuche> Karu invokes Penuche's magic: < 32 > [d6=3,1,3,3,5,5]
<GM> The blazing heat of your projectile causes the dragon to writhe in agony.
* Alis slides off the ship, rushing under the shadow of the dragon and sliding up behind it, stabbing it with a quick flaming burst, shadow wrapped about his form.  OOC: Concealment 20 percent.
<Alis> roll 1d20+15
<Penuche> Alis invokes Penuche's magic: < 22 > [d20=7]
<Alis> OOC: Using death mark.  Do I hit?
<GM> The dragon's hide turns away the blow of your blade at the last moment.
<Alis> OOC: Oh well.
<R-66Y> Impulse grasps his blade as it returns to him, and launches himself off the ship, circling around the dragon to attack from behind, giving it targets on opposite sides to worry about. (OOC - Power Attack -2)
<R-66Y> roll d20+9
<Penuche> R-66Y invokes Penuche's magic: < 15 > [d20=6]
<GM> The dragon barely notices your attack.
<GM> And with mighty roars, the two dragons fly overhead, changing sides. Please make a will save versus the dragons' frightful presence.
<Karu> roll 1d20+7 will
<Penuche> Karu invokes Penuche's magic: < 14 > [d20=7]
<Sim> roll 1d20+7
<Penuche> Sim invokes Penuche's magic: < 18 > [d20=11]
<Karu> roll 1d20+10 Moment of Perfect Mind
<Penuche> Karu invokes Penuche's magic: < 30 > [d20=20]
<R-66Y> roll d20+11 ditto for MoPM
<Penuche> R-66Y invokes Penuche's magic: < 12 > [d20=1]
<R-66Y> ooc: why you gotta be a hater, Penuche?
<GM> Okay, everyone except Karu, you are "shaken" for 4d6 rounds
<GM> roll 4d6
<Penuche> GM invokes Penuche's magic: < 13 > [d6=5,2,5,1]
<GM> oh, wait, Alis hasn't rolled yet
<GM> Alis, you roll
<Alis> roll 1d20+9
<Penuche> Alis invokes Penuche's magic: < 18 > [d20=9]
<GM> yeah, sorry, you're shaken too
<GM> The dragon near Karu takes the time to attack him personally.
<GM> roll 1d20+15 bite attack
<Penuche> GM invokes Penuche's magic: < 19 > [d20=4]
<GM> But Karu quickly dodges aside!
* Karu dodges aside, preternatural senses letting him avoid being chewed up badly by a dragon.
<GM> The dragon on the other side tries its breath weapon again, aiming it mainly at the fire elemental propelling the ship, but Sim's in the line of it too.
<GM> roll 5d6
<Penuche> GM invokes Penuche's magic: < 12 > [d6=2,3,1,1,5]
<Sim> roll 1d20+6 Reflex!
<Penuche> Sim invokes Penuche's magic: < 13 > [d20=7]
<GM> Unfortunately, what with the dragon's fearsome presence, Sim is relentlessly battered by its breath weapon.
* Sim finishes his flourish and hefts his blade onto to be hit by the double-whammy of the scary dragon roar and even more painful ice. He moves further up to float a distance above the ship (preferably out of range of the stinking ice-breath) and procures the wand. Alas, alas, das ist alles.
* Karu moves in closer to its reach as the dragon attempted its bite, falchion at the ready...
<Karu> ...right before launching a single slash at the massive beast, seeming to be always in focus...
<Karu> roll 1d20+12 Insightful Strike
<Penuche> Karu invokes Penuche's magic: < 13 > [d20=1]
<GM> Unfortunately, its hide is tougher than your steel.
<GM> There is, however, a momentary blip, as if the GM had corrected a mistake regarding some of the dragons' attributes. Sim and Alis, you're no longer shaken by the dragons' presence
<Alis> OOC: Thanks.
* Alis heads over and tries to stab dragon two in the back.
<Alis> roll 1d20+13 wolf fang strike~
<Alis> roll 1d20+13 wolf fang strike~
<Penuche> Alis invokes Penuche's magic: < 23 > [d20=10]
<Penuche> Alis invokes Penuche's magic: < 27 > [d20=14]
<GM> Both your strikes sink deep into the dragon's body.
<Alis> roll 2d3+3+8d6
<Penuche> Alis invokes Penuche's magic: < 39 > [d3=1,2][d6=6,6,2,4,6,4,4,1]
<Karu> Eh.  My powers are better than my melee here anyway
<GM> It attempts to roar its defiance, but manages only a keening scream, as its blood drips out to the ground below.
<R-66Y> Impulse goes help out Sim, charging at the dragon that's done so much damage there.
<R-66Y> roll d20+14
<Penuche> R-66Y invokes Penuche's magic: < 30 > [d20=16]
<R-66Y> roll 2d6+3
<Penuche> R-66Y invokes Penuche's magic: < 15 > [d6=6,6]
<GM> With your charge, you peel away a section of that dragon's flank. It glares at you fiercely.
<GM> Once more the dragons change places, pethaps looking more ungainly now, with the great gouts of blood dripping from them onto the deck.
<Alis> AoO
<Karu> AoO
* Alis proceeds to happily carve the dragons up if they want to switch places.
<GM> go for it
<Karu> roll 1d20+14 AoO
<Penuche> Karu invokes Penuche's magic: < 20 > [d20=6]
<Alis> roll 1d20+15
<Penuche> Alis invokes Penuche's magic: < 33 > [d20=18]
<Alis> roll 1d3+3+4d6
<Penuche> Alis invokes Penuche's magic: < 24 > [d3=1][d6=6,5,4,5]
<GM> The dragon that takes its position near R-66Y, though, looks even more unsettled, thanks to Alis.
<GM> Ignoring Sim as being too high, this dragon breathes frost all over the elemental, and R-66Y.
<GM> roll 4d6 breath weapon (make reflex save as usual)
<Penuche> GM invokes Penuche's magic: < 12 > [d6=3,5,1,3]
<R-66Y> roll d20+8 if I do get a reflex save? *a bit confused!*
<Penuche> R-66Y invokes Penuche's magic: < 10 > [d20=2]
<GM> The other dragon strikes out to bite at Karu
<GM> roll 1d20+12 bite
<Penuche> GM invokes Penuche's magic: < 28 > [d20=16]
<GM> roll 1d8+3 bite damage
<Penuche> GM invokes Penuche's magic: < 8 > [d8=5]
* Sim continues flying over the airship, shadows flickering and dancing as he levels the wand towards the dragon she can best hit without hitting others, and has it explode close enough to burn the damned dragon while being far enough to leave the airship (and those annoying ally-types) not on fire.
* Karu winces as the dragon takes a chunk out of him, noting that melee is NOT his place in this battle...
<Sim> roll 1d20+5 Spell Penetration!
<Penuche> Sim invokes Penuche's magic: < 14 > [d20=9]
<GM> it's good
<Sim> ooc:  Really? Huh.
<Sim> roll 5d6
<Penuche> Sim invokes Penuche's magic: < 12 > [d6=5,1,3,2,1]
<GM> bump it up to 18 due to vulnerability
<GM> The fireball seems extra potent against this dragon. Though it now seems more reluctant to chase after you.
* Karu flies up from the dragon, not wanting to get bitten AGAIN while trying to focus...before sending another firebolt at that dragon that, incidentally, he fried the last time...
<Karu> roll 1d20+6 versus SR
<Penuche> Karu invokes Penuche's magic: < 8 > [d20=2]
<Karu> roll 6d6+12
<Penuche> Karu invokes Penuche's magic: < 26 > [d6=5,1,1,1,2,4]
<GM> Your firebolt roils over that dragon, singing holes in its wings and scarring its face.
* Alis switches his posture, twirling as his blades ignite, slashing rapidly at it.
<Alis> roll 1d20+13
<Penuche> Alis invokes Penuche's magic: < 33 > [d20=20]
<Alis> roll 1d20+13
<Penuche> Alis invokes Penuche's magic: < 21 > [d20=8]
<Alis> roll 1d20+13 confirm check
<Penuche> Alis invokes Penuche's magic: < 24 > [d20=11]
<GM> Both hit.
<Alis> roll 1d20+7
<Penuche> Alis invokes Penuche's magic: < 23 > [d20=16]
<GM> crit confirmed
<Alis> roll 4d3+12+3d6
<Penuche> Alis invokes Penuche's magic: < 32 > [d3=1,3,3,1][d6=5,6,1]
<Alis> OOC: the 3d6 was fire damage.
<Alis> OOC: So 12=> 18.  32=>38.
<GM> Your slice cuts straight into the heart of the beast, and it plummets to the ground below.
* R-66Y attacks the remaining dragon in a flurry of attacks of his own.
<R-66Y> roll d20+14
<Penuche> R-66Y invokes Penuche's magic: < 33 > [d20=19]
<R-66Y> roll d20+14
<Penuche> R-66Y invokes Penuche's magic: < 27 > [d20=13]
<GM> hits
<R-66Y> roll d20+14 confirm
<Penuche> R-66Y invokes Penuche's magic: < 17 > [d20=3]
<R-66Y> roll d20+7
<Penuche> R-66Y invokes Penuche's magic: < 19 > [d20=12]
<R-66Y> roll 4d6+6
<Penuche> R-66Y invokes Penuche's magic: < 13 > [d6=1,1,2,3]
<GM> no crit, though
<GM> A simple, unassuming attack, but it overwhelms the dragon. This one, too, begins to fall.
<R-66Y> Impulse flies back to the ship's deck.
* Alis flies back as well.
* Karu flies back over to the deck
<GM> The captain emerges from the wheelhouse with fulsome thanks. Half his crew got injured or killed from the breath weapon attacks, but at least the ship is intact.
<Karu> "...hm.  There is a problem, though.  Why were we attacked by dragons along this route?"
<Karu> "I'm pretty sure that they typically don't bother the airships, so..."
<GM> "It is not unheard of for airships to be attacked by dragons, but I'd heard of none along this route."
<Karu> "Hrmm..."
* Sim drifts back down to the deck of the airship, sheathing his (entirely pointlessly drawn) sword.
* Karu had sheathed his falchion on the way.
<Karu> "Alis, remain on the lookout for any other threats."
<Sim> Yes, a very good eye, Sim adds with a nod, brushing some spare frost from his clothing.
<GM> As the ship nears Newthrone, a few hours later, the captain respectfully asks Sim for his key back.
<Sim> Naturally returns it, along with the two charm scrolls and the wand of feather fall.  Who ever heard of a wand of feather fall, anyway?
<GM> He is most appreciative.
* Alis heads off to our boss.
<GM> After offloading his cargo in Newthrone, he buys you all a round of drinks at the nearby tavern before taking off again for Port Verge.
<Karu> Hey, free drinks
* Sim takes the drink gladly! Free booze!
<GM> (For the warforged, they have an elixir that produces a similar effect.)
* Karu takes the drink as well.
<R-66Y> Impulse shrugs and accepts as well.
<GM> Okay, well, barring any treachery on your part, the rest of the trip is completely uneventful and you touch down in Port Verge two days later.
* Karu will enforce no-treachery rules
* Sim grows more restless during the remainder of the trip, although is hardly treacherous.
<Karu> ...said rules mainly applying to Alis.
<GM> Prince Kolberkon accepts your delivery of fifty eternal wands of fireball with pleasure and sends them to his armory. Then he feasts you all for about a week.
<GM> END
<GM> 675 XP, 540 gold, each.