News:

"With great power comes the opportunity to abuse that power."

Main Menu

[06] Hitting the Slums

Started by Merc, May 19, 2010, 05:39:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merc

Session Start: Sun Dec 13, 2009

<Merc> It's been a long day at the royal castle. First the king was almost assassinated, an exotic poison finding its way into his system, then our heroes had to deal with finding the assassin before time ran out. Thankfully, they managed to do just that, saving King Fardune, though questioning did not bring much more information besides a plot to discredit the king's brother. (ooc - more)
<Merc> However little that was, Lord Anoire was most thankful for that bit of information, given how he was almost taken in for attempted fraticide when you all brought word of the assassin's last words, and now wishes to speak with you, having invited your group to his personal quarters.
* Maya is surprisingly fine, given the night of drinking last night.  She headed up early after breakfast to meet with Lord Anoire, bringing the others along.
<Aleph> "...I still don't like what I did to get that information..." Aleph comments, looking somewhat downcast still...though part of that might be a bit of the hangover.
* Elise always respects the requests of authority figures, of course, and appears at the meeting promptly.
<Aleph> Hangovers suck, of course
<Kheldar> "Sometimes, Aleph, one must do what one must do. So long as you don't come to love it, you must do your duty." Kheldar is still in a slightly grim mood from the torture session and disappointed that he couldn't prevent the would be assassin from dying.
* Anassia looks much as normal, if somewhat unkempt as she moves her fingers through her hair to tame some of the more flyaway strands. "What is done is done," she says simply/
<Merc> A guard salutes your group as you approach, turning to knock on the large doors. "Lord Anoire, your guests have arrived," he announces. You can vaguely hear a reply from inside in the affirmative as the guard moves to open the door for you all.
<Aleph> "Like hell it was duty." Aleph grumbled as he headed in.
* Elise enters!
* Kheldar strides briskly inside, taking three long strides in then bowing deeply in Lord Anoire's direction.
<Merc> Inside is a tired looking man, sitting at a desk in a corner, looking over some papers, though he visibly perks up as he spots you all, looking up from his papers. "Ah, the heroes of our family. You've well saved every member of the royal line in such a short time," he says in greeting, as he stands.
<Kheldar> "It was nothing, my Lord. Merely doing our duty as well we could." Kheldar rises from his bow.
<Elise> "We were only doing our duty to the kingdom, my lord," Elise says. "I am sorry we could not determine who was responsible for the plot."
* Anassia moves with the others into the room, glancing about curiously... although she seems a little taken aback for a brief moment at the sight of the King's brother; royalty is supposed to look rather more grand.
<Merc> "Pardon the mess, I did not expect to be working on these still by the time I was expecting you," he explains as he runs his hand through his hair. "And I appreciate enough that you found evidence that -I- was not responsible for my brother's health issues."
<Maya> "Well, if a kingdom was taken down by thieves and assassins, it'd hardly be a pleasant place to come home to," Maya mused, looking over the tired man.  "Though someone must still be out there, to cause this much trouble."
<Aleph> "Let's just say that it was unpleasant work getting to that." Aleph quickly responded
<Merc> Lord Anoire nods at those words. "Well, anyway, I mostly wished to meet with you and thank you in person. I am aware that my brother planned to reward you for your rescue of my nephew, the prince, but given his health at the moment, I felt that I should take care of it in his place."
<Elise> "Knowing that I've aided the kingdom in a time of need is reward enough for me, my lord," Elise says.
* Jack stifles the urge to ask for Elise's share
<Kheldar> "You are too kind, my Lord. Did your brother, his Majesty, convey my only request to you? I've no need for riches or titles." Kheldar is humble but firm.
* Anassia blinks a few times; the reward had skipped her mind at the moment. She does, however, remain quiet in his presence.
<Maya> "Anything but a celebration, as long as its gold," Maya teased.  "I'd worry more about your own house, though I appreciate such," Maya hadn't been raised to turn away rewards.
* Jack imagines diving into, and swimming through an ocean of coins
* Aleph remains quiet at the mention of a reward. He still wasn't used to being rewarded for this kind of thing, after all...
<Merc> Lord Anoire coughs at that. "Nonsense, dear," he reproaches Elise's words. "You did a great service to your country. And I'm afraid not, young man. Feel free to state it though."
<Kheldar> "My only wish was to join his Majesty's Royal Guard, to serve him wherever he had need of me." Kheldar frowns slightly. "Though his near assassination leads me to believe I would not be as worthy a guard as I had once thought."
<Merc> The lord frowns and sighs. "Yes, that was an...interesting lack of action on the guards' part. Somewhat shaming also that it fell to you all to find the assassin before he made his escape. Still, it's a reasonable request. I shall put a word with the head of the guard as soon as I can," he replies as he moves towards the group. "Now, please, follow me."
<Merc> With that, he heads towards the door, leading the group out.
<Aleph> "hm?" Aleph sounds curious as he follows Anoire out
* Elise does so, not having any idea what he might have in mind.
* Kheldar follows at a stately pace.
* Maya follows behind, a curious look in her purple eyes.
* Anassia glances towards the others as they are led from the room, having not expected to leave the room to recieve their reward. She does follow, equally garbed in curiosity.
<Merc> He leads the group onward, through the castle halls. Various guards salute at the group, a few having a sheepish expression and Lord Anoire giving a sharp stare at those particular guards. One can probably imagine what happened there. It's a short trip, eventually the group arriving at a room from which a lot of heat is emanating as well as loud noises.
<Elise> "Is this...a forge?" Elise wonders as they approach.
<Aleph> "...whatever it is, it's hot as anything else" Aleph comments.
<Merc> He nods. "It is, my dear. This is where the royal blacksmith resides. As part of your reward, King Fardune wished to grant you all weapons with which to carry on your future endeavours. Please, come in."
<Anassia> "Weapons?"  Anassia asks, entering the room behind their guide.
<Aleph> "...wait, what?"  Aleph looks puzzled.  He'd be getting...a new weapon.
<Merc> "Or armor, or just some trinket if you wished to show it off...or sell it, I suppose," the lord states.
<Kheldar> "I cannot say that a weapon of better make would not be welcome."
* Elise nods in obvious approval. "This is the most appropriate kind of reward for those of us who only wish to go on serving the greater good," she says.
<Merc> He clears his throat, and motions one of the workers in the room towards the group. "Alfonse, I'm sure you've heard from the king?"
<Merc> "Aye, make somethin' nice for the lads and ladies, pressed with the king's seal," the blacksmith states as he looks over the group, a bit of admiration. "Can't say I'm surprised."
<Maya> "Mmm," She smiled a bit.  "A royal blade... how interesting.  What a fine gift."  She nodded in approval at the notion.
<Kheldar> "You're not surprised to be making weapons for us? Is this how the King usually rewards his subjects, good smith Alfonse?"
<Merc> "Nah, but your group's a buncha heroes, aren't ya?" Alfonse replies with a grin. "And doesn't have to be a blade, if you don't want. Just let me and the boys know what ya'd like miss, and if we have the materials for it, we'll be making it for you all."
<Aleph> "It's likely more of the news of what we've done," Aleph comments to Kheldar
* Jack tears up slightly, but otherwise maintains his composure
<Kheldar> "Heroes?" Kheldar muses. "My father would be proud to hear this, no doubt." He returns his attention to Alfonse. "I would be honored to bear a sword with the Royal seal on it."
<Anassia> "I would hardly refer to myself as a hero," Anassia says with a faintly amused note as she glances towards the others.
<Elise> "I'm most thankful for this reward, my lord," Elise says to Anoire. "And from you, master smith, I ask for a weapon suited to smiting the unrighteous. I have worked in smithing some myself, and a hammer still feels most right in my hands even though I use them for different purposes lately."
<Aleph> "I...don't think that what I've done makes me a hero, though...I'm curious how good of one of these" Aleph pulled out his longbow "you could have made..."
* Maya giggles lightly at the suggestion, revealing before the blacksmith her family blade.  "I should leave this with papa, when I head traveling...could you make me something nicer?"  She wondered to Alfonse.
<Merc> The group continue to explain their wishes, the blacksmith nodding every now and then, explaining what he has materials for, and getting a good idea of what everyone wants. Once everyone is satisfied, Lord Anoire leads the group back out. "It should be a few days before the items are done. Please feel free to explore around the capital in the meantime, and enjoy yourselves."  (ooc - more)
<Merc> He pauses briefly and looks at the group. "Also...should you find anything more about this assassination attempt, please, bring anything you find to me. I would see the dogs that attempted to frame me HANGED."
<Aleph> "Will do, will do," Aleph responds.
<Jack> "Of course."
<Kheldar> "We shall, sire."
* Anassia simply nods, the others' assent speaking for her own.
<Maya> "Well, I guess I can hang around a few more days.  You guys want to check out the capital?" Maya wondered.
<Jack> "It's been a while since I've been home, should be interesting to see what's changed."
<Elise> "I wouldn't mind taking a look around the city. Our outing last night wasn't exactly a thorough tour."
<Kheldar> "I think I shall. But before I do so, I would like to speak to this...Captain of the Guard." Kheldar looks positively eager to meet him.
<Aleph> "Should be interesting, so sure," Aleph responds.  "Not too much else to do around here.  Unless we want to go to the bar again."
<Jack> "I guess I'll be playing tour guide then, eh?"
<Anassia> "I think that was by intent, Elise," Anassia says, smiling wryly.  "But certainly.  How often shall we have this opportunity?"
<Aleph> "I guess you will be."
* Maya nods. "Have fun, Kheldar," She didn't tend to like guards much, too stiff really, but he wasn't a bad sort.  "If you want," Maya smirked to Jack, beginning to head out of the blacksmith.  "We can wander wherever."
<Elise> "I'm not sure I wish to go to the bar again," Elise says to Aleph. "After leaving, I felt...strange. I think there may have been something wrong with my drinks."
<Merc> "You'll have to wait a while, Sir...Halstrom was it? Harlsom?" Lord Anoire replies, looking a bit put out about not remembering Kheldar's name. He shakes his head. "Anyway, he might be in later today, but I'm certain he's not currently around. If he were, I'm sure that assassin would -never- have gotten within 10 feet of my brother."
<Aleph> "You were imagining things, I think" Aleph replies.  "Perhaps it was your anger that soured your drinks"
* Kheldar seems to deflate a bit with disappointment. "Oh, I see. Well, I suppose in that case a bit of sightseeing would do me no harm."
<Elise> "What? I wasn't angry!"
* Jack rolls his eyes
<Maya> "She wasn't angry at all," Maya agreed with Elise.  "Anyhow, why ruin a good day with an argument?"
* Maya she waved the others after her, heading out of the castle and away from the stuffy nobility.
<Jack> "My thoughts exactly! Let's go."
* Aleph shrugs
<Jack> "So, where to first?"
* Anassia smiles at the others as they head out into the city. "Hopefully you're planning on not sightseeing the insides of another establishment, Maya?"
<Aleph> "Not until the night, I presume"
<Jack> "I hafta admit, I'm tempted to take a stroll through my old stomping grounds."
<Kheldar> "Myself, I'd like to visit the streets of...ill repute. If we're out to see the sights, we might as well see if we can't discern any information concerning our unwelcome visitor."
<Jack> "See if any of the old gang's still around..."
<Elise> "What buildings are there to see?" Elise wonders. "Surely such a great city has many impressive structures?"
<Jack> "Well, ok, with Kheldar here, that makes two votes for my personal detour."
* Aleph just adopted an ever-so-slightly mischievous grin
<Elise> "Well, I will agree with any plan that might help us root out the criminals behind the plot," Elise says.
* Kheldar nods at Jack. "Jack's...friends might be able to provide us with some information."
<Anassia> "I've no complaints," Anassia says, shaking her head.  "No doubt we'd be safe, being as... heroic as we may be."
<Jack> "If any are still kickin' ... it has been a while."
<Kheldar> "No doubt the life of city ruffian is a rough one."
<Jack> "You have no idea brother."
* Aleph shrugs. "Eh, why not, for a start. I'd like to see the other areas too at some point, though."
* Jack will proceed to lead the group to the dirtiest, most dangerous, and dilapidated slum in the city.
<Maya> "Maybe," She smiled to Anassia, shrugging at Jack's plan.  "Really, I think you're quite naughty taking a group of defenseless young woman to the slums, Jack." She smirked.
* Jack snorts.
<Kheldar> "Not that you lot are completely defenseless." Kheldar remarked in a dry tone.
<Kheldar> "Woe betide the man who says otherwise."
<Elise> "Which of us is defenseless?" Elise challenges.
<Aleph> "I've got an easy way to determine that!" Aleph responds.
<Anassia> "I feel comparatively the defenseless one of you two.  Although that may have to do with not having a weapon twice my size."
<Elise> "What is that, Aleph?"
<Aleph> "You'll see." He grins evilly.
<Maya> "Well, maybe I'll show you how to handle one, someday, Anassia," Maya smiled, playing innocent.  "Elise, if you don't get to tease the boys ever, how will they ever learn to be bold?"
<Jack> "Flip their skirts at your own peril bow-boy."
* Elise frowns. "I'm not at all sure what you mean, Maya. Why would I want to tease anyone?"
<Anassia> "I think I'd topple over at the attempt," she admits to Maya.  "And they learn to be bold by their very nature; don't encourage it."
<Kheldar> "Skirt flipping is an offense punishable by death. Or so my mother often said." Kheldar shrugged.
<Aleph> "Sheesh, talk about a mood killer, you two"
<Kheldar> "I try. Elise here, is a natural."
* Kheldar grins slightly.
* Aleph grumbles something incomprehensible.
<Elise> "Well, what's wrong with being serious?"
<Kheldar> "There's nothing wrong with being serious, Elise. But sometimes, one has to learn to relax and not be quite so stringent."
* Jack guides the group through the city streets to their destination
<Anassia> "Nothing in moderation," Anassia says, smiling sweetly to Elise in responce. 
<Merc> Jack leads them through some rather questionable alleys as they travel into the heart (or would that be the rectum?) of the capital. It's probably not a pleasant experience for Maya and Elise in particular. Maya because she keeps getting asked "How much?" and Elise...well, it -is- the slums.
<Maya> "Oh nonsense.  Even boys like Aleph here tease, but they're really quite shy," She winked at Aleph, teasing him as she followed Jack.
* Maya skillfully deflects such questions, used to the occassional lewd and very lewd remark in her line of work.
<Aleph> "..."
<Jack> "Ah, be it ever so humble..." *Jack trails off
<Anassia> "Maybe you should invest in some less... conspicuous... attire, if you are to travel the lands," Anassia points out to Maya gently.
<Elise> "The...men...in this neighborhood seem anything but shy, though," Elise notes with some dismay. "Jack, you grew up here? How did you survive and not become a criminal."
<Merc> Someone bumps into Jack. "...'scuse me, mister," the kid apologizes in his dirty, ragged clothes. Huh, that feels familiar, though Jack's more used to having been on the -other- side of this encounter...Yep. His pockets seems a bit lighter.
* Jack coughs.
* Jack grabs the boy by the arm.
<Merc> "Hey! I said 'scuse me!" the boy exclaims, his eyes wide.
<Jack> "Nice try kid, but you're dealing with someone who's been in this game a lot longer then you."
* Kheldar smirks. "It's amusing to see the shoe on the other foot, for once."
<Merc> "I don't know what you're talkin' about..."
<Kheldar> "Shake him down, Jack. He'll know quick enough, I suspect."
<Aleph> "Moyamoya..." Aleph rolls his eyes.
<Jack> "Kid, if you cooperate, I'll let you go. Otherwise I search ya and keep everything I find."
<Jack> "All I want is what's mine."
<Maya> "Maybe we shouldn't come to slums," She smiled back at Anassia.  "But someone they don't expect is less of an easy target," She smiled, keeping an upbeat attitude, despite not being a huge fan of the area.
* Anassia blinks a few times as Jack grabs the kid, before turning back to Maya. "But you could just avoid the attention and the hassle all the easier..."
<Elise> "A thief! Shouldn't we turn him over to the authorities?"
* Kheldar crosses his arms across his chest at an attempt at looking stern. "You know what they do to thieves, boy?"
<Merc> The kid's eyes widen, and he starts to grumble as he digs into his left pocket and smacks it against Jack's chest. "Alrite already. Lemme go now..."
<Aleph> "Hey, Elise, Stiff, you two just ease up already."
* Jack checks it over.
<Jack> "Looks like everything's here... Before I let you go, I gotta question... You runnin' with anyone, or you work alone?"
<Elise> "But how is he supposed to learn if he's not punished for his crime?" Elise wonders.
<Jack> "It's been a while since I've been home, and I'd like to try an' look up some old friends."
<Aleph> "Punishing him won't change him," Aleph comments, "It'll just make him be more selective about his targets and areas."
<Kheldar> "There are not enough guards for every pickpocket in the city, Elise. The lucky ones learn from their incarceration. Most return to their old hunting grounds."
<Merc> "...I don't work for nobody," the boy mutters as he eyes Elise and Kheldar with particular suspicion.
<Kheldar> "Right. He doesn't work for anyone. Most boys your age run in packs. Don't you have a few friends you trust?" Kheldar is heavily skeptical of the boy's words.
<Jack> "I know we did back in my day."
<Jack> "I always wondered what happened to everyone after our place got raided."
<Maya> "Eh, leave the kid alone," Maya frowned a bit.  "We didn't really come here to clean up after pocket snatchers, did we?"  She sounded bored.
<Merc> "Hey, you said you'd lemme go if I gave you your stuff back, the kid protests as he starts struggling against Jack's grip.
<Jack> "Right, right, off you go."
* Jack lets the boy go
<Merc> The kid frowns as he kicks Kheldar in the shin when he isn't looking before scampering off.
<Jack> "Next time try using someone else as a distraction."
* Jack snickers
<Jack> "Ah, the joys of youth."
* Aleph snerks.
* Kheldar winces in pain and stumbles a bit. He reaches out in a futile gesture--"YOU WRETCHED BOY!"
<Jack> "S'what you get for talkin like he can't hear you."
<Aleph> "Oi, oi.  You know you're not getting that girl who you keep staring at like that, you know" Aleph snrks
* Maya reaches out and takes Kheldar's shoulder with a hand. "Let him go.  You should've expected that." She suggested.
* Anassia grins slightly as she hears Kheldar's cry, although she gives Aleph a quizzical glance at his comment.
* Elise shakes her head. "My father would've thrashed me if I'd ever behaved with such rudeness," she says, with the air of one who's certain this would be the solution to many other problems.
<Jack> "Yeah, well, you had a father."
<Jack> "You think that kid's got family?"
* Kheldar frowns. "I was not the one who held him against his will. Nor did I harass him. He won't live long if he attempts to strike out at those who pepper him with verbal assaults."
<Merc> The group continues onward, following after Jack, who leads them to his old hideout. It looks pretty abandoned, really, doesn't look like anybody's used it in a while.
<Aleph> "Your father sounds insane.  Then again..." Aleph trailed off, remembering not having family.
<Aleph> "You were THREATENING him." Aleph comments to Kheldar.
* Maya clucks her tongue. "Are we going somewhere, or fighting over a small child with quick hands and a dirty tongue?"
<Jack> "We're here."
* Maya stares down the rest of the group, her eyes narrowed.
* Aleph does his commenting while walking, thank you very much
<Elise> "Insane? No, not at all! Certainly he was strict, but I'm sure he had only my best interests at heart."
<Jack> "Kheldar, let's get this outta the way now."
<Jack> "You want to find out anything around here? Don't talk like a fucking guard."
<Jack> "Same goes for you Elise, spouting of about morality isn't going to win us any friends in these parts."
<Kheldar> "I uphold the law, Jack. I don't disregard it when it suits me. If your friends fight it offensive, so be it."
<Aleph> "No, not here you don't."
<Elise> "I didn't know we were looking for friends. I thought we were here for information?"
<Kheldar> "I'm not here to make friends. I'm here to serve my king."
* Jack smacks his forhead
<Jack> "You don't get it, do you?"
<Jack> "You want information, you gotta get people to talk."
<Aleph> "You uphold the law back in the town.  Here, you're just some guy with a sword and a bow."
<Jack> "So unless you plan on torturing everyone one you come across...."
<Aleph> "...which I'm not letting you do."
<Jack> "People around here aren't likely to talk to the law."
* Kheldar shrugs. "The ends sometimes justifies the means. But I see your point.
* Maya sighs, rubbing her forehead a bit.  "You two are going to give me wrinkles," She pouted, walking ahead of the group in irritation.
<Kheldar> "
* Aleph follows Maya in.
* Jack pokes around his old base looking for anything of interest.
<Jack> "I hope the others made it out... I mean, I'm not surprised this place is abandoned, no way they could keep using it once we got busted."
<Elise> "You were all...thieves, like that child?"
<Maya> "Well, it's been years for you, hasn't it, Jack?" She wondered, remembering what he said earlier.
<Jack> "Thieves, prostitutes, snitches, you name it, we did it if it kept us from starvin to death."
* Jack grimaces.
<Aleph> "Yeah, that doesn't sound like fun." Aleph comments.
<Merc> Some clapping can be heard behind the group. "*Hic* So it -was- you, *hic* Jack. You tell 'em how it is! *hic*" A rather...tall figure is leaning against a wall, clapping and looking a little sloshed. He starts to stumble towards Jack. "...'member me, Jack? Its lil' Dickie! *hic* 'cept not so lil anymore...." He starts giggling as he trips. "Heyo, EX-boss!" He adds from the ground, giggling some more.
* Elise justs nods. None of this is behavior she herself would freely admit to having done--not that she EVER would do any of it in the first place, of course--but it's apparent that prodding for reasons or repentance won't be helpful here.
* Anassia stays out of the way of the search, unsure what he may be looking for. She glances towards Jack at the question. "It must have been hard." When the newcomer arrives, she looks his way, curious. "Old friend?"
<Aleph> "...wow.  He sounds like me on one of my crazier drinking nights."
<Jack> "Dickie? Shit, it is you! It's been years!"
* Jack walks over and sits down by him
<Anassia> "Really? That must be fun to watch," she asides towards Aleph.
<Jack> "What the hell happened man? Do you know what happened to the others?"
<Aleph> "...yeah, unfortunately the last time I did that, I got thrown in jail.  On the day of that festival."
* Kheldar decides to remain silent and lean against the doorway, keeping an eye on the street outside.
* Maya leans against a nearby wall, watching the rather messy reunion at a slight distance.
<Merc> "*hic* Heard someone was talkin' about ol' stompin' grounds. Just knew it was you..*hic*" the drunkard replies with a smile. "What brought chu into town after they ran you out, man?"
<Merc> His eyes seem a little unfocused, and he's probably not really paying all that much attention to your own questions.
<Jack> "Long, long story... Looks like I gotta shot to go legit. Real straight and narrow. I'm hopin for a big payday."
<Jack> "You gotta catch me up man, what've I missed?"
<Merc> "Really? S'great for ya...*hic* Things not so good for us since ya left, man. Jackie...one o' me boys did somethin' stupid an I think he's dead..." Dick replies, a few tears in his eyes. "Ewas a stupid one, but he was useful that one was..."
<Merc> "..Was great seeing you again, Jackie," the drunk states as he play-punches Jack in the chest, before his eyes start fluttering shut. A bit of snoring can be heard from him.
* Kheldar grimaces internally. 'Three guesses who that was.' He thought to himself.
<Jack> "Well shit."
* Maya glances with a bit of pity.  Not everyone gets a good swing at life. "You okay, Jack?"
* Elise approaches and frowns at the stench of drink about the man. "Should we wake him? It seemed as though he had something to say."
* Aleph puts a hand on Elise's shoulder. "Let's not."
<Kheldar> "Leave the man to his dreams. No doubt they are more pleasant than reality."
<Jack> "Yeah, it'll be a while before he's back in the land of the living... Smells like he drank enough to put him out for a while."
<Jack> "Looks like I'm gonna have to dig up some of the old gang, sounds like someone might know what the score is."
* Kheldar comments in a light tone, "Three guesses who the man your friend was talking about is."
<Maya> "Alright...I think I'd rather just tour the city proper," Maya admitted. "Hanging out here seems a bit...well..." She shrugged her shoulders with a bounce, getting all manners of dirty whistles.
<Jack> "The way I see it, we can do it now, or later, but we're going to have to come back here at some point."
<Anassia> "How're you going to do that?" Anassia asks Jack curiously, before giving Maya an amused glance.  Although she stays her tongue.
<Aleph> "Let's do it later.  There might be other people there then, and it'll get us a break."
<Jack> "It actually might be best if we split up."
<Jack> "No offense, but you guys look a bit out of place. If I'm by myself, I might be able to get someone talking."
<Aleph> "Sure thing."  Aleph's getup isn't fancy, but he gets the point.
<Maya> "Well, I don't mind.  Go right ahead.  This isn't my part of town," Maya agreed right away.
<Kheldar> "Perhaps I'll have better luck in the more civilized quarters of the city. I'll see what I can sniff out there, I suppose."
* Anassia nods. "If you think it will help," she says. "And I admit this isn't what I had in mind for sight-seeing."
* Jack chuckles "Yeah, I suppose it isn't."
<Elise> "Where are the rest of us going, then?
<Elise> "Where are the rest of us going, then?" Elise wonders. "I don't know the city at all."
<Aleph> "When in doubt, wander." Aleph states clearly
* Jack will make a couple of reccomendations about the nicer areas
<Maya> "Do you two want to sight see instead?" Maya didn't feel much like trying to hunt down assassins.
<Kheldar> "I'll seek out the local chapterhouse of the City Guard. There's bound to be some information thereabouts. Elise, you're welcome to come along if you wish."
<Maya> "Or three," She noticed Aleph was coming with them.  "Thanks, Jack.  Why don't we check out the marketplace.  It's supposed to be the biggest in the county."
<Aleph> "Sure thing...though we don't have much money.  ...ah well, no harm in looking."
<Jack> "You guys think you can find your way back out?"
* Anassia shrugs. "That sounds as much fun as anything else, I suppose," she replies to Maya. "And I'm sure she can find /some/ way to relieve someone of their money."
<Aleph> "I'm pretty sure."
<Maya> "Just head for the castle," She smiled and nodded at Jack, leading the way out.  She did remember how they came here after all.
<Elise> "Well, I do want to see what the city has to offer," Elise says. "A distraction would be welcome after this neighborhood. But if you want help, Kheldar, I'm sure I would feel at home in the guards' company."
<Kheldar> "There's no need for you to come along if you do not wish to." Kheldar says, not unkindly. "Being in the capital is a rare enough occurrence. There's no harm in a bit of sighseeing."
* Elise nods and turns to tag along with the market-bound group. "Well...Yes, I would look to get a good look around. I don't know when I'll be here again. I hope you hear something of use from the guards." Elise walks off after Maya and the others.
* Jack eyes Kheldar
<Jack> "So I take it you want to tag along?"
* Kheldar shrugs. "If it's no trouble. I promise to talk like a...like a...well, not a guard, at least."
* Kheldar clears his throat and speaks in a more easy going tone. "Where to, boss man?"
<Jack> "Arrite, let's get to work."
<Merc> ooc: make your survival check or gather information to find your seedy bar.
<Jack> roll 1d20+5 survival
<Penuche> Jack invokes Penuche's magic: < 13 > [d20=8]
<Kheldar> roll 1d20+6 Come on, baby (Gather Info)
<Penuche> Kheldar invokes Penuche's magic: < 7 > [d20=1]
<Merc> Jack doesn't seem to be having too much good luck with finding leads, as most of the people he used to know have been replaced with newer people and outside of Dick, no other old gang members have made themselves known. (ooc - more)
<Merc> Kheldar isn't much help, somehow just rubbing people the wrong way as he tries to get some information without revealing his occupation as a guard. Still, eventually Jack does stumble into a bar that was owned by ol' Jacobs. If that leech of society wasn't still around doing business, he'd be out of possible leads.
<Jack> "So many new faces... If Jacobs ain't around, then I've run outta leads."
* Kheldar is a bit put out that the skills that served him well in his hometown are failing him here. "Guess we better hope he is then, yeah?"
* Kheldar takes a look around for the nearest empty table or barstool at the bar.
<Merc> As Jack and Kheldar step inside, they find the place mostly empty, there's just a young man chatting with an older rough looking fellow at some of the bar stools near the back, and the bartender. Standing behind the bar, the barternder is obviously an older version of Jacobs that Jack remembers, cleaning some dirty glasses, and peering at the two of you couriously. As Kheldar takes a seat...
<Merc> "Welcome to Daisies. What can I do for you gents?" he drawls.
<Jack> "It's been a while old man, we'll have a pint each."
<Kheldar> "What he said."
<Merc> Ol' Jacobs raises an eyebrow as he peers at Jack, his eyes squinting. "...do I know you?" he finally asks, not recollecting any old pickpocket leaders who'd pass his ill-gotten gains his way to turn into food and money.
<Jack> "It's Jack. I've been away a while, but I'm finally back in town."
* Kheldar slouches at his seat, resting his chin in the cradle of a palm. "Didn't think that Jackie had so many friends around. We've been at it all day, trying to track'em down."
<Jack> "Lotta new, faces. Can you fill me in on what I missed?"
<Merc> "Jack...jack...ja....oh! OH! Huh...thought you were run outta town."
<Merc> The old bartender looks skeptically at Jack.
<Jack> "S'been a while now. If YOU can't recognize me, you really think any 'o the guard's gonna remember?"
<Merc> "Heh... I'm an ol' man, but I see your point. Who's your buddy?"
<Jack> "I ran into Dickie, he was ripped off his ass, but so far he's the only one I've found."
<Jack> "Him? This here's Khel, met him on some of my... adventures outta town." *Jack pulls Jacobs aside "He's not too bright, but he's good with a sword, so I lettem tag along."
<Merc> This causes a raised eyebrow. "...Uh-huh. I...see."
* Kheldar grins sourly, having overheard the muttered remark. "I'll remember that the next time I bust your ass out of trouble, you prick."
<Merc> -That- remarks causes a smile to pop on the bartender's face. "Heh, you found a nice friend, Jack. I like him. So you're looking to hook up with your ol' gang, huh?"
<Jack> "Damn right, I never felt right 'bout leaving 'em all to fend for themselves, but not like I had much choice in the matter."
<Merc> "Well, you're not going to have a lot of luck, I figger. I think most of your gang split up and went to work for other guys. Only Rolo and Dickie stuck with me, forming their own groups," Jacobs sighs. "Annoying's what it is. All these young guys starting to mess with my business....well, I'll probably be retiring soon." He grimaces as he adds, "One way or another..."
* Jack raises an eyebrow
<Jack> "This have anythin to do with why Dickie was three sheets to the wind?"
<Kheldar> "Dickie was certainly dicking about, plastered as he was."
<Merc> He blinks at that, surprised. "Was he? Well, things haven't been going so well for Dickie. His group's pretty small, and lots of small kids. Just him and some guy he found, uh...what was his name again..." He pauses in his thoughts as he stares at Jack and then his pockets before going back to a musing stance.
* Jack raises an eyebrow?
<Jack> (err no ?)
<Kheldar> "Yeah, he did mention something about one of his guys doing something stupid." Kheldar mentions casually, sipping his pint.
* Jack checks his pockets... "Damn it, knew I shoulda just searched the kid... He made off with something, didn't he?"
<Jack> "I must be getting soft in my old age."
* Jack grumbles.
<Merc> Ol' Jacobs sighs, and rubs his forehead after waiting a while for a bit of a payoff. "You know, just because we used to do business doesn't mean you should skip of the niceties of doing business, Jack," the bartender grumbles. "But eh, you'd probably just pump Dickie for information when he's not sloshed, so I'll help out a bit for old times sake."
<Merc> "Anyway, why are you looking into Jackie...that's the guy's name by the way, and his business? I really doubt it's to look up old chums."
<Jack> "Guess you been around long enough that I ain't gonna slip one by you, eh old man? It's a long story, can we go somewhere more private? If the info's good, I've got the coin for it."
<Merc> "Hrm..." with that, he looks over to his two other customers, giving them a look. "Bar's closing, lads. Time to go." The two briefly look back over at Jack and Kheldar before nodding. "See ya tomorrow, Jacobs."
<Merc> As the door shuts behind the two, Jacobs looks at the remaining pair. "Private enough?"
* Jack nods then takes a long pull from his beer.
<Jack> "Life's a fuckin' peice o' work, ain't it?"
<Jack> "After I got my ass outta town, spent the next few years wanderin the land, sowin my wild oats and the like."
<Jack> "Finally settled down in a nice little town not too far from here... Mostly doing odd jobs, honest work and the like."
<Jack> "Picking the occasional pocket, but all in all, a fairly clean life."
<Jack> "Now I'm fuckin' neck deep in royal god damn intrigue."
<Merc> "Royal intrigue?" He asks. "Now what's that supposed to mean?"
<Jack> "Long story short, me n' a few townies pulled some royal fat outta the fire. We come to town figurin we'll get wined and dined, maybe a nice bit o' cash... Then some asshole decides to try an' off the king during our little celibratory shindig."
<Jack> "We damn near ended up in the dungeons."
<Merc> He pales at that. "The king? Who would..."
<Jack> "That's what I wanna know."
<Merc> "...I see. You think Jackie was involved, then?:
<Merc> "
<Jack> "Figure I'd scout out around here for a few leads... Then I run into Dickie, who's a damn mess, mumbling about one of his boys doin something stupid."
<Merc> "...Yeah, you think Jackie's involved," he flatly states.
<Jack> "You know anything? Like I said, I can pay."
<Merc> "Keep the money. Offing the king...that's serious business. Damn...I knew Jackie was trouble, always told Dickie to cut him loose. If Jackie's your troublemaker, he didn't get the job from me. He's probably been talking to Johan, one of the new players in town if that's the case, though I couldn't tell you for sure."
<Jack> "It's a lead at least, and that's more then we had."
<Kheldar> "You got any idea where we can find this Johan? Might be we'll pay him a visit."
<Merc> "Hrm...He usually hangs out over in Sadie's place. You don't know it, I figure. Think it opened up after you left. Here, lemme draw you a quick map."
<Merc> He quickly starts doodling on a dirty napkin.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Merc

Session Start: Sun Dec 13 20:57:14 2009

* Maya sways as she lead out of the slums, asking a nearby guard the way to the market, and leading the long walk into the city's finest bazaar.
* Aleph walks along, eyes glancing over at the two girls every now and then. Because he can.
* Anassia looks around at the market's stalls curiously. No doubt they have wondrous wares to sell!
<Maya> "I think this is the luckiest you've ever gotten, isn't it Aleph," Maya teased the poor boy, eying over a leather working stand, examining the bracelets and pouches they had on display.
* Elise picks up the pace to catch up with Maya and the others!
* Aleph looks down.
<Maya> "Ah, welcome back, Elise," Maya waved her over exhuberently, seeing her hurrying to catch up.
<Aleph> "Oh, hey.  Decided you weren't going to the guardhouse with the stiff?" Aleph looked back, greeting Elise.
* Anassia offers a wave towards Elise as well when Maya draws attention to her arrival. "The market would be more exciting than guards, anyway."
* Elise nods. "Well, this is the first time I've been here...I thought I should get a better look around the city than just the inside of a guardhouse. We have one of those back home."
<Maya> "You'll find even if things are the same name as they are back home, there's different flavors in every city that make them unique and interesting," Her smile was deep as she tried on a bracelet made of woven colored threads.  "How much?" She wondered to the vendor.
* Aleph looked around the varied wares being hawked at the bazaar, looking in mild wonder at the varied exotic (to him) things that are present compared to the small town...
* Elise isn't really sure what she's looking for, so she mostly just strolls around to get an idea of what kind of things the marketplace has...jewelry's not her style, too flashy.
* Aleph quickly finds what looks like a small, silver-trimmed black... hair ring...of sorts (And no, not a herring, because those are for cutting down trees.)
<Aleph> "Hey, how much for this thingy?" he asks the vendor there.  ...his eloquence is just wonderful.
<Merc> "Ah, this beautiful item will be only 9 silver, my dear," the vendor at the stand Maya is standing replies. Another similarly replies to Aleph. "Hrm...twenty copper pieces for that, young man. This item would look better though, don't you think? And it's a bargain at only eight silver pieces."
<Merc> The vendor points at a different, flashier hair ring.
* Aleph looks over the accessory. How much flashier?
* Maya nods and hands over the silver with a smile, slipping it on her wrist.
* Anassia follows the scent of spices over to a stall of spiced bread, offering a brief smile towards the proprieter of such. "That smells delicious," she comments to them happily, basking in the scent.
* Maya walked over near Elise, "Don't get too far ahead.  It's more fun if we get to see what we find together."
<Elise> "Well, I guess I'm more interested in things I can eat right now than things I can wear," Elise says, trailing after Anassia.
<Merc> Aleph: It's so flashy, it's almost gaudy. It has a lot of red, black and orange lines criss-crossing.
<Aleph> "...hm.  I'm not sure.  I kind of like the simpler one better, really."  Looking over, he takes two silver and hands it over for the one he found first
<Merc> "Freshly made today, dear. You won't find bread as good for this price. Here, have a bite," an elderly woman states, happy at Anassia's praise, as she grabs one piece of bread and rips off a small chunk for the girl. "If you like it, feel free to buy some for yourself and your friends."
* Aleph follows the other three, putting his hair through the newly-bought accessory into a ponytail
<Maya> "Hungry, huh?  Well, it's a fine time to stop for a bite," She nodded, the girls getting a bit ahead of Aleph.
<Merc> The vendors thank Aleph and Maya for their purchases as the two go join Elise and Anassia at the bakery.
* Anassia does try the free offer (hah! I just found medieval Costco!), savoring the flavor. "That is good!" she says after the freebie has unfortunately gone. "How much would it be for four pieces?"
<Aleph> "Hey, wait up!" Aleph calls to the girls, red hair aside from bangs tied back now.
<Merc> "Four pieces? That'd be four silver, dear," the woman replies as she starts putting four pieces of the spice bread into a bag.
* Anassia hands over the money, taking the bag herself as she goes back to the others; she pulls a piece of bread from it to chew on hungrilly in doing so.
<Maya> "Thanks, Anassia... see anything you guys liked?" Maya lead over to a nearby fountain, the quartet finding comfortable seats near the water.
<Elise> "Oh, thank you, Anassia," Elise says. "How much did it cost?" she adds, reaching for her coinpurse.
<Anassia> "Don't mention it," Anassia says, smiling, continuing to eat the bread; the question isn't given an answer, however.
<Aleph> "Well, I found one thing I did, anyway," Aleph replies to Maya.  "Notice anything different?"
* Elise shrugs. Elise is used to being very exact about paying for what others do for her, but if Anassia doesn't care then it doesn't really matter. She bites into her piece of bread and takes a look at Aleph.
* Aleph 's hair is now tied back, notably. As opposed to before, when, well...it wasn't.
<Maya> "You're trying for a more feminine look.  It suits you," She smiled elegantly.
<Elise> "It will keep his hair out of his eyes during battle. That's only sensible," elise observes between bites.
<Aleph> "...thanks.  There goes my confidence." Aleph hung his head again in response to Maya's statement.
<Anassia> "Nothing wrong with a little femininity!"  Anassia says, grinning as she hands him the last remaining piece of the bread.
<Merc> It's a pretty busy street, lots of people shopping around, though it doesn't quite match the number of people from the harvest festival back home. It does come somewhat close, which is understandable, this being the capital. As the group enjoys a nice baked snack, a couple of gypsies roll out into the plaza, dancing and jumping around, doing various acrobatic stunts as one of the gypsy men tries to draw passerbyes to watch the show and donate some funds.
<Maya> "It's almost tempting to compete," Maya smiled, watching the act.  He wasn't bad, of course, but nothing like her moves.
* Aleph takes the bread with a "thanks" and eats as he watches the show
* Maya smiles. "I think I'll join in," She smiled, finishing her meal, and winking to her friends, "Sit a while," She swayed over, slipping through the crowd, and with a quick step, sliding between the dancers, striking up a faster beat within, as she twirled, pulling colored fabrics around as her metal rings added a new beat to the melody.
* Aleph decides to watch Maya dancing instead of the other two. For obvious reasons.
<Merc> The gypsies raise an eyebrow as they continue dancing, before grinning and laughing as they step things up, the music speeding as their dance does, almost daring the stranger to try and keep up.
* Anassia quirks an eyebrow as Maya slips up to interfere. "Huh." she says simply, watching the mixed performance, practically counting off the seconds for Elise to complain about the act.
* Elise sits and watches...though she watches the crowd, mostly. It doesn't seem to do any good to criticize her travelling companions, but that doesn't mean she approves either,.
* Maya smiles, and starts taking it to the air, moving with a skillful sway as she moved from her quick feet, twirling among the girls, and playfully challenging them in close dancing to rising to the nearby roof with a flip, twirling as she moved to a very gymnastics routine, twirling around.
* Aleph watches Maya's dance closely. Very closely.
* Aleph also continues eating the bread.
<Merc> The dancers grin as they take up the challenge, joining Maya up in the skies above, although they use each other to boost themselves upwards rather than jumping with just their own power, although the extra assist does allow them to do some more acrobatic twists and turns in the air, strips of ribbons dancing in the air, lashing out in patterns as the gypsy leader excitedly drums up the audience more, who seem more interested with Maya's presence.
<Aleph> "...have you seen anyone move like that?" He comments, both eyes still on Maya.
<Elise> "No," Elise says flatly. "The athletics are impressive. I don't know why she insists on dressing like that, though..."
<Anassia> "I will admit, she does what she does well," Anassia says, taking another bite from of the bread as she continues to watch the performance albiet with somewhat less... insistance than Aleph.
* Maya smiles and turns and stops suddenly, her back to the crowd.  Her hips jaunt to one side and the other, her rings starting to slide  up and down her long legs as she stretched her arms out, beginning a very different dance, and then twirling to face the crowd, a rope flinging up to a higher building above as she took hold and swung over the crowd twirling naturally around the rope and hauling herself up in an amazing display, using the nearby buildings to rise even higher than the group of acrobats, twirling down then along it to lean upside down above the crowds and blow them a quick kiss.
* Aleph watches, a slightly silly grin on his face...
<Anassia> "You might want to wipe your chin before she gets back," Anassia says, smiling over to Aleph momentarily.
<Merc> The gypsy troupe do attempt to match Maya's acrobatics, they really do...taking a shoe to the head though, as a balding small man yells "Stay off my rooftops, you trollops!!!" makes things a bit difficult, although the dancers roll with it as they dive off to save the dancer who took the shoe to the head, using the strips of ribbon and cloth to downplay the incident, although the song does start to slow down as the gypsy male quickly starts asking for funds again.
<Aleph> "Wait, what?"  Aleph wipes his chin with his sleeve...
<Aleph> "..."
* Maya swings back over, releasing her rope with a skillful tug and landing, taking a bow and a wink to the crowd, before and turning and giving a wave to the gypsies that remain, swaying off through it victorious into the cheers.
* Aleph keeps his eyes on Maya regardless.
<Maya> "Your jaw is through the floor," She smiled, her many rings surprisingly not ringing as she walked away.
* Anassia smiles sweetly in response to him, applauding the display and giving a silver to the man when he passes by. "He's been like that for a while."
<Elise> "He has," Elise confirms. "It's very undignified."
<Aleph> "...Undignified?"
<Aleph> "...bah, I could think of worse ways for me to look."
<Elise> "You were staring at her like...like a man who'd been starving in the desert for a week eyeing a piece of meat! What other word should I use?"
<Aleph> "..."
<Maya> "Well, Aleph was never good at hiding his look," Maya smiled confidently.  "Well, that was fun.  Nothing like a good dance to get the blood moving and help digest," She smiled and sat down, ignoring the large crowd.
* Anassia can't help but let out a soft giggle at the comparison. "Where shall we cause the next scene, then?"
<Aleph> "..." Aleph blushes with embarassment at being teased.  Again, as he gets up.  "Dunno.  There's probably other places to go around here, though." he replies
<Merc> Most of the audience to the show is still applauding the gypsy troupe, and passing money, though a few pass by Maya and the others, mentioning what a good show that was.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.