News:

I have a dream that one day, men will be punched in the face not for the color of their skin, but for the awful content of their character.

Main Menu

[07] A Den of Thieves

Started by Merc, May 19, 2010, 06:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merc

Session Start: Sun Dec 27, 2009

<Merc> Jack and Kheldar quickly regroup with the others at the town square, and share their findings about Johan and how he might be connected to the attempt on the king's life.
<Maya> "Well, so you found another way for us all to get in terrible danger sticking our noses where they don't belong?" Maya's curiousity had a sing-song teasing tone to it.
<Kheldar> "Only you would consider bringing someone who attempted regicide to justice to be 'sticking our noses where they don't belong.' " Kheldar frowns slightly at the girl.
<Jack> "No, I do too, to be honest."
<Jack> "But I'm still holding out hope for a monetary reward."
<Jack> "And they managed to drag one of my old buddies into this, so it's kind of personal now."
<Maya> "Oh, did you get promoted to the royal guard while I was gone?" She wrapped an arm around Khel's shoulder, leaning in and tapping his nose.
<Maya> "I didn't say we couldn't go," She smiled.
* Kheldar rolls his eyes, but doesn't attempt to shrug off the girl's arm around his shoulder, preferring to ignore it. "I've yet to speak with the Captain of the Guard, but I believe that I'll have a place within their ranks before long. As it is, this man must be stopped before he attempts to assassinate the king again."
<Maya> "Well, well, we can help this poor boy out with his troubles a little more I suppose.  Why don't you lead the way, Kheldar?" She teased the older man, letting him go.
<Anassia> "Wouldn't this task be better suited to the guard?" Anassia asks, tilting her head towards the other curiously.  "...Despite their earlier display of compentance."
<Maya> "Oh, but then Kheldar might cry, Anassia." She shifted a fan in front of her face thinking as she whispered into Anassia's ear, "Or go by himself and get killed."
<Kheldar> "Men make mistakes, girl. No one is perfect, least of all the Royal Guard. I do find it...incredible that our assassin managed to get so close to the Royal person."
<Anassia> A soft sigh.  "Fine, but if we get killed I am holding it over you." Anassia says to Maya, glancing towards Kheldar.  "I have a name.  Do we even have a plan?"
<Jack> "Before we set off to find this guy, we should probably try to come up with a plan."
<Jack> (damn, beaten to the punch)
<Kheldar> "Jack is right. No doubt this...Johan is surrounded by flunkies and bodyguards. I'm not sure if even we would be up to the task of raiding his hideout alone."
<Maya> "Well, this is a fine kettle, I'll let you hold me to that," She winked at Anassia, her purple eyes glittering with amusement.  "Well, let's go take a look."
<Maya> "We can come up with one once we know what we're looking at."
* Kheldar strokes his chin thoughtfully. "Perhaps one of us could summon support from the City Guard."
<Maya> "Or did one of you start taking lessons from Mama?" She smiled at them.
* Aleph rolls his eyes. "Ignore him, Anassia. Anyway, I've gotten a few things that could help in such a raid..."
* Maya eyes Aleph, listening.
<Kheldar> "I've studied the map fairly well. I'll leave the planning in your capable hands. I'm going to summon a few guardsmen to aid us in this soon to be brawl." Kheldar sighs. "Please don't do anything terribly suicidal."
* Aleph notes "Well, I've scouted out a store that can get us a few handy tools...though we'd either have to pool what we have or rely on less than scrupulous means to get it."
<Maya> "Tools?"  Maya didn't quite follow what Aleph had in mind by that.
<Aleph> "You'll see.  Stuff that would aid in dealing with large numbers in a narrow space, I guess you could say."
* Anassia glances toward Aleph. "I would be useless, unfortunately, in acquisition by your less scrupulous means."
<Maya> "Aleph, dear, if you can't tell us, how exactly are we supposed to know how to use it or work with it after you 'get it'?" She wondered.
<Aleph> "We're talking smoke flasks, firebombs, and the like."
<Jack> "Smoke flasks could be useful... I don't know how I feel about using fire bombs in a city full of wooden buildings."
<Aleph> "Distraction's a distraction."
<Maya> Her nose twitched at the thought.  "And you know how to make them?" Sounding none too intrigued, but given she'd probably be running through said smoke, it wasn't really her cup of tea.
<Aleph> "Not make, but find."
<Aleph> "As I said, I scouted out a store that had this stuff."
* Jack shrugs
<Jack> "Might as well see what they have, you never know what'll come in handy."
<Anassia> "Let's get too it, then.  The sooner we get this done the sooner we get to risk our lives yet again."  Anassia says, shaking her head slightly.
* Jack lets out an appreciative whistle "Those are pretty expensive... I say we just go in there and stab everything that moves instead."
<Aleph> "Easier said than done, I'd say, but...up to you."
<Elise> "I am more comfortable with a straightforward approach," Elise says. "We will knock down their door and smite the evildoers! We need not sneak around when right is on our side."
<Jack> "That's two votes for bust in and kill anything that looks at us funny."
* Aleph sighs. "So much for trickery."
<Anassia> "Delightful," Anassia says, flatly.
* Maya laughs at Elise's naivity.  "You know, that's a line that those without the strength to back it up need not say, Elise," She smiled.  "But, I'll see if I can keep up with your hammer."
<Elise> "Surely the justice of our cause will strengthen our blows and fortify us in our time of need," Elise insists.
<Maya> "Maybe.  But," She waved a finger in front of Elise's eyes as she leaned close. "It's a far more exciting route.  To those who risk little, they find a boring life.  So maybe justice, maybe skill.  We'll keep an eye on each other and see how close they can get before we cut them.  If you can't dance on the edge, why bother?"
<Jack> "So, three votes for stabbin'?"
<Elise> "Crushing," Elise corrects Jack.
<Maya> "You had our votes before, Jack, why don't you lead away.  Khel can catch up and play the hero with his guards."
<Jack> "Onward then."
<Aleph> "So be it." Aleph gets up, following anyway
* Anassia sighs softly as she rubs her hands together and follows.
* Jack grumbels "Y'know, I wouldn't mind having those new weapons right about now."
<Merc> Jack soon leads them to Sadie's. The place really doesn't look that special, just some out of the way place in a dirty street, and not a lot of people around.
<Elise> "How many evildoers do we expect this building to accomodate?" Elise asks quietly as they approach.
<Jack> "Not a clue."
<Maya> "Jack, is it likely that there would be uninvolved people here?"
<Merc> ooc - Assuming the place were just packed with people, it could probably fit in about fifty to sixty people. It's unlikely that would be the case, though.
<Jack> "Probably, it IS a bar."
<Jack> "We don't even know if this guy is definitly connected... He most likely is, but we don't have much in the way of evidence."
<Anassia> "So we need to get everyone who isn't involved out."  Anassia points out.
<Elise> "Perhaps we should announce our presence on entering so that those uninvolved could leave?"
<Aleph> "...and that those involved get an easy shot at us?"
<Maya> "Getting cold feet?  It might just be a quick way about it," Maya smiled.  "Anyone who takes a shot is definitely an opponent.  Better than being surrounded when you know that."
<Aleph> "...we could always let Kheldar and his guard friends be the initial scare and distraction."
<Anassia> "That would work.  And we sneak in in the madness?"
<Maya> "What a terrible thing to suggest.  I like it," Maya smirked.
<Aleph> "Yes."

*** Meanwhile ***

<Merc> Kheldar quickly makes his way back into the castle, looking for some reinforcements.
<Merc> Quickly, the hunter makes his way towards the room of Lord Anoire. A pair of guards stand at the entrance as last time, though this time they look surprised to see Kheldor. "Do you have business with Lord Anoire?"
* Kheldar nods. "Indeed I do. Myself and a friend have mananged to track down the person who appears to be responsible for his Majesty's near assassination. We can't take him in his stronghold alone. I've come to beg aid from Lord Anoire."
<Merc> Both guards' eyes widen at the news. "I see. I shall inform him at once. One moment," one of the guards states as he knocks on the door and steps inside. Some murmuring can be heard until Anoire's voice rings out "WHAT?"
<Merc> Footsteps quickly follow as Lord Anoire makes an appearance in the hallway. "You've found news of the assassin?"
<Kheldar> "Yes, my Lord. According to one my comrade's old friend, this character is responsible for the attempted poisoning. I've come to request a squad of Guards to aid us in bringing him in for questioning."
<Merc> He frowns. "I see. You are certain of this?" he asks, putting inflection on the word 'certain', as he speaks. "It would cause much trouble if we were seen conducting unwarrented raids in the town, and the sight of many armed soldiers would be sure to cause some panic."
<Merc> He does not appear to be doubting you, but does look like he wishes to be reassured.
<Kheldar> "I am willing to stake my life and reputation on this, my Lord. I trust Jack and his information. I will take full responsibility." Kheldor says grimly, silently hoping that Jack's friend hadn't made a mistake.
<Kheldar> "However, my Lord, it might be wise to have your men wear something other than the Royal colors. On the offchance that Jack's informant has been misguided, it would be prudent to not have anything that a dissenter can trace back to my Lord."
<Merc> Anoire frowns. "That...does not sound very certain i you're staking your reputation, sir Harlsom. Come, we can continue speaking as we head to the barracks, however."
<Merc> He starts heading towards the barracks.
* Kheldar follows, at a proper three steps behind. "I believe that Jack's informant speaks what he knows to be truth. But even the sharpest of men can be decieved, my Lord. My father and my grandfather were fond of saying that it was always better to be prepared for any eventuality."
<Merc> Anoire continues frowning, but finally sighs, as they arrive at the barracks. "I am not certain if this is a foolhardy action or not, and I may be blinded by my desire to see justice on what's been done. Understand, you -will- be responsible for these men's lives," he states as he turns to look Kheldar in the eye. "You truly will be staking your reputation on this endeavour, understood?"
<Kheldar> "Perfectly, my Lord. Have no fear. I will bring them all home safe or die trying."
<Kheldar> "If I die serving the Crown, so much the better."
<Merc> "...do not make promises you cannot keep. If there are a lot of men involved, you will not be able to guarantee anybody's life. Simply do your best to end the conflict as fast as possible and with as little bloodshed as possible on our side," Lord Anoire warns as he enters the barracks, and begins recruiting volunteers and informing them that they will be under the charge of Kheldar and his companions.

*** Later ***

<Merc> Kheldar is somewhat surprised once he arrives with a small garrison of guards. He looks like he'd almost expected you all to go in without him and for him and the men to save the day.
<Merc> A bit of whispering is heard from the edges of the streets, at the sight of the group of guards, people wondering what's going on.
<Jack> "We decided to wait for someone official looking, y'know, to avoid confusion and the like."
* Jack lies through his teeth
* Kheldar nods, not wasting a moment. He turns to the soldiers behind him. "Men, stay close. Our target is a man named Johan, in that bar over there." He gestures in the direction of Sadie's. "Stay close together. Watch the back of the man beside you. Stay behind me until we get in, then cover the windows and exits. No one is to leave without our say so."
<Kheldar> "I want to be in and out in less than ten minutes. Is that understood, gentlemen?"
* Aleph rolls his eyes, whispering to the nearest person, Jack. "I think he's a bit...too...into things here."
* Jack stage whispers to Aleph "He's our patsy if everything goes horribly, horribly wrong"
<Merc> The men all nod. "Yessir!" they all reply, some of them frowning a bit as they look at the bar. "Is everyone in the building hostile?" one of the guards asks of the group.
<Kheldar> "Possibly. Treat every person in the building as a threat, but do NOT attack unless you are struck first. Be wary, but we're here as an extraction force only."
* Maya watches, checking her sandals as she stayed out of the militant folks way.
<Merc> "What does this Johan look like?" another asks. "We cannot extract a target if we don't know what he looks like..."
* Aleph stands back as the rest of the events unfold
* Jack sighs
<Kheldar> "Our informant does not know of his precise physical features. That is *exactly* why it's so important that you keep anyone from escaping. This Johan is the one who has the most to fear from a visit from the Royal Guard. Most likely, he'll bolt at the first sight of us."
<Elise> "If we make it clear how much trouble he is in, perhaps the other patrons in the bar will make an effort to avoid associating with him for fear of sharing his fate?"
* Kheldar nods at Elise. "It is not likely, but we can hope, Elise. Our show of force could persuade some of his hangers on to turn him in." He turns back to his soldiers. "Any other questions?"
<Merc> No questions seem to follow. The guards simply split off into groups on their own, a number of them agreeing to stay outside and watch for runners, while the rest decide to enter behind Kheldar, although the rest of the group stand behind the guards.
<Maya> "Well, everyone ready?" Maya watched with bemusement, her blade in her hands beside her.
* Aleph smirks, bow in hands. "Ready as I can be, anyway."
* Elise has her weapon in her hands, which is all the response needed, really.
* Anassia stands besides the others. "I suppose," she says, flatly as she watches the guards move into position.
<Kheldar> "Very well. Remember, cover the windows and exits. I'll be going in first. Stay alert!" Kheldar draws his sword and trots down the street towards the bar. He reaches the door and takes a deep breath. He opens the door quickly, taking three deep strides in the room.
<Kheldar> "I'm here on King's business. Will the one named Johan please step forward and accompany me?"
* Aleph facepalms. "...I underestimated his directness..."
* Elise sees absolutely nothing wrong with this approach, on the other hand.
<Merc> Various people in the bar turn to look at Kheldar, and then the small contingent of guards, and start looking nervous and antsy. Some subtly (and some not so subtly) begin to reach for weapons. At one of the tables in the back, one of the men present stands. "What do you wish to speak with Johan about?" he asks with a frown. His companions seem to all be looking at the group with narrowed eyes, and the most ready for a fight to break out.
* Kheldar scans the room with calculating eyes. "We have reason to believe that he may be behind a recent attempt on his Majesty's life. He was seen to be communicating with our would be assassin. I'd like to ask him some questions."
* Kheldar radiates calmness and confidence.
<Merc> Some peple begin to murmur at the news of an attempt on the king's life. Seems news of the assassination attempt had been squashed from leaving the castle until now? "You must be mistaken. Johan would not speak with assassins of any sort..."
<Merc> roll d20+8 bluff
<Aleph> "Right.  As soon as things go to hell, we sneak through and locate him ourselves" Aleph says to his allies.
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 26 > [d20=18]
<Merc> ooc - roll sense motive against that if people wish to
<Jack> roll 1d20+9
<Penuche> Jack invokes Penuche's magic: < 11 > [d20=2]
<Kheldar> roll 1d20+9 He'd better not be lying his ass off.
<Penuche> Kheldar invokes Penuche's magic: < 23 > [d20=14]
* Elise scans through the crowd to see who had spoken up on Johan's behalf.
<Anassia> roll 1d20+5 Hurrah, impossible!
<Penuche> Anassia invokes Penuche's magic: < 13 > [d20=8]
<Merc> His honeyed words drip dry against Kheldar's bullshit meter, although most of the others are beginning to squirm just a little uncomfortably.
<Aleph> roll d20+8 sense motive
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 21 > [d20=13]
<Merc> Aleph isn't quite sure, but he also feels the man might be lying.
* Kheldar replies calmly, "I am many things, sir, but a fool isn't one of them. I know exactly who Johan is. I know precisely what he dips his fingers into. Do you really think that the Crown does not have its own eyes and ears, even out here?"
<Merc> ooc - bluff of your own? or just trying to intimidate? roll either or.
<Kheldar> OOC Intimidate works
<Kheldar> roll 1d20+6 Yeah, you better cower
<Penuche> Kheldar invokes Penuche's magic: < 23 > [d20=17]
<Merc> roll d20+6
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 26 > [d20=20]
<Maya> "That doesn't  sound much like fighting," Maya noticed, waiting with the others.
<Aleph> "...So far." Aleph noted.
<Maya> "Maybe he's run into trouble?" She leaned back, waiting.
<Elise> "Surely it would be better for all involved if the guilty party would come along without a fight," Elise says to her companions, though she sounds a little disappointed about not having the opportunity to smite evildoers.
<Merc> The man's eyes narrow, as if he's musing your words. "I'm sure this is just a...misunderstanding," he finally replies.
* Kheldar adds quietly. "The Crown is willing to overlook some of Johan's more...unsavory...business practices if he is indeed innocent of this matter. If he's done nothing to harm the King, then no harm shall come to him. He has my word of honor. We must simply ask him some questions."
<Maya> "Nothing is ever that easy," Maya wondered.
<Merc> The men besides the one speaking are looking antsy. "Johan is a perfectly legitimate merchant, I have no idea what you speak of," that man states, as if reciting a well practiced line, the words just rolling off his lips. "Please leave, you are...you are disturbing the customers." He has a grim smile on his face.
* Kheldar gives the guards behind him a signal, hoping they recognize the universal handsign for trouble. "It doesn't have to be this way. You have one last chance to avoid any unpleasantness." Kheldar draws his lips into a thin line of his own.
<Aleph> "It's about to start.  Let's wait for the attention to be drawn to the guards before we go in." Aleph stated, trying to lead things from his end.  Leading was...new, to say the least.
<Merc> As the threat looms, various men start standing up, drawing weapons, as the man frowns. "And we are perfectly well attempting to avoid any such unpleasantness. You have been informed that you were mistaken and that you are disturbing the customers. Please leave," he states with narrowed eyes, though he himself has not yet pulled a weapon unlike those besides him.
* Maya smiles, twirling her blade around.
<Jack> "Hey, watch where you swing that thing."
* Aleph notably has a ponytail now, for those that haven't noticed yet. That being Jack.
<Kheldar> "If that's how it must be...Master Johan." Kheldar brings his sword up in a defensive position. "You'll be coming with me one way or another."
<Merc> "Oh? Are you certain I am Johan?" he asks pleasantly. "Perhaps I'm Johan!" "No I am!" "Or maybe it's me!" "What are you guys talking about? I'm Johan!" "You fools, are you trying to get in trouble with the guard? You know Johan is visiting his girls!" "How can I get in trouble when I have done nothing?" Various other cries from the bar begin to meld into each other.
<Kheldar> "..."
<Elise> "In that case, you're ALL coming with us," Elise decides.
* Kheldar turns his head to look at the guards behind them. "We arrest them all."
* Kheldar suddenly dashes forward, going for the smug looking man who he suspects is Johan!
<Merc> ooc - roll init
<Kheldar> roll 1d20+4
<Penuche> Kheldar invokes Penuche's magic: < 14 > [d20=10]
<Merc> roll d20+3 guard fodder
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 18 > [d20=15]
<Merc> roll d20+2 mook fodder
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 11 > [d20=9]
<Elise> roll 1d20+2
<Penuche> Elise invokes Penuche's magic: < 15 > [d20=13]
<Merc> roll d20+4 Loudmouth Goon
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 5 > [d20=1]
<Aleph> roll d20+4 initiative
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 11 > [d20=7]
<Merc> roll d20+3 Random Goon #2
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 19 > [d20=16]
<Merc> roll d20+5 Random Goon #3
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 21 > [d20=16]
<Jack> roll 1d20+4
<Penuche> Jack invokes Penuche's magic: < 15 > [d20=11]
<Maya> roll 1d20+4
<Penuche> Maya invokes Penuche's magic: < 16 > [d20=12]

* Merc changes topic to 'Goon 3 (21) > Goon 2 (19) > Guards (18) > Maya (16) > Jack (15) > Elise (15) > Kheldar (14) > Aleph (11) > Mooks (11) > Goon 1 (5) > Anassia (?)'

<Merc> One of the men that stood up from the table immediately reacts to Kheldar's charge and slashes at him. "Oh no you don't!" he exclaims.
<Merc> roll d20+6
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 24 > [d20=18]
<Merc> roll d8+3
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 7 > [d8=4]
<Merc> ooc - roll DR
<Kheldar> roll 1d3
<Penuche> Kheldar invokes Penuche's magic: < 1 > [d3=1]
<Merc> Kheldar is stopped as the goon's longsword digs into his side. Though ready to act, both the guards and one of the goons present in the building seem to hold back, as if waiting to see how things unfold.
<Merc> ooc - Maya
* Kheldar grunts in pain. "REMEMBER!" He yells out to the guards and his companions, "NO KILLING! WE WANT THEM ALIVE!"
<Merc> The guards present look uncomfortable with the order, given the amount of unfriendly and armed people, but they simply nod, acknowledging the order.
* Maya rushes in low, at home in the very close quarters as she slid by folks at hair thin margins, twirling near to the guy who'd been giving all the snark earlier, and then past him with a quick foot shuffle as she ducked low and then suddenly leaped up and twirled to slam the flat of her blade into his skull.  OOC: Attack stunt, using tumble, aiming for +4 damage.
<Jack> "Oh fuck that Kheld."
<Maya> OOC: And tumble for tumble attack.
<Maya> roll 1d20+19 tumble attack
<Penuche> Maya invokes Penuche's magic: < 25 > [d20=6]
<Maya> roll 1d20+19 tumble stunt for damage.
<Penuche> Maya invokes Penuche's magic: < 31 > [d20=12]
<Jack> "We only need one for interrogation. Two if we decide to get messy."
<Maya> roll 1d20+7+3+2 actual attack
<Penuche> Maya invokes Penuche's magic: < 14 > [d20=2]
<Merc> roll d20+2
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 21 > [d20=19]
<Merc> roll d20+3
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 17 > [d20=14]
<Merc> The goon that had been holding at the ready sees the approaching Maya, and attempts to assist her target, as if to protect him, and though his blade collides with Maya's, the unexpected course of attack manages to get through....or would have if the bastard didn't just yank his would-be savior into the course of the attack.
<Merc> roll d3
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 2 > [d3=2]
<Merc> "Sorry, better you than me," the man mutters as his ally is struck in the back.
<Merc> ooc - Jack
<Maya> roll 2d8+10 damage
<Penuche> Maya invokes Penuche's magic: < 24 > [d8=6,8]
* Jack looks to skewer the man maya was attempting to attack
<Jack> roll 1d20+6
<Jack> roll 1d20+6
<Penuche> Jack invokes Penuche's magic: < 23 > [d20=17]
<Penuche> Jack invokes Penuche's magic: < 13 > [d20=7]
<Merc> roll d20+3
<Merc> roll d20+2
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 14 > [d20=11]
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 16 > [d20=14]
<Merc> ooc - one hit
<Jack> roll 1d6+6
<Penuche> Jack invokes Penuche's magic: < 9 > [d6=3]
<Jack> roll 3d6
<Penuche> Jack invokes Penuche's magic: < 12 > [d6=5,5,2]
<Merc> roll 2+d3
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 5 > [d3=3]
<Merc> The man again attempts to drag his ally into taking a hit for him, but this time Jack strikes too fast for it, as the blade digs into his side and cutting deeply, causing him to hiss in pain.
<Merc> ooc - Elise
* Elise roars a challenge for any who might dare to stand between the forces of righteousness and their prey, and charges at the cowardly man using his own friends as human shields!
<Elise> roll 1d20+11 charging attack
<Penuche> Elise invokes Penuche's magic: < 30 > [d20=19]
<Merc> ooc - hit
<Elise> roll 2d6+7 damage
<Penuche> Elise invokes Penuche's magic: < 13 > [d6=4,2]
<Merc> roll d20+2
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 12 > [d20=10]
<Merc> roll d20+3
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 12 > [d20=9]
<Merc> roll d20+2
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 9 > [d20=7]
<Merc> roll d20+3
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 17 > [d20=14]
<Merc> Again he attempts to use his unwilling meat shield, but his shield seems unhappy, as he struggles against such useage, allowing Elise's hit to strike.
<Merc> roll 2+d3
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 5 > [d3=3]
<Merc> "Gah, can't you people just leave my bar?" he complains as his head is ringing from Elise's blunt action.
<Merc> ooc - Khel
<Kheldar> "You coward! Using these men as your shield!" Kheldor roars much like Elise did and swings his blade in the direction of the speaker, being sure to use the flat of his blade.
<Kheldar> roll 1d20+7
<Penuche> Kheldar invokes Penuche's magic: < 14 > [d20=7]
<Merc> "I'm the one getting ganged up on! I think I deserve a little help!" The man counters as he easily steps out from Kheldar's attack after that rash of strikes.
<Merc> ooc - Aleph
<Aleph> "I'm following Jack here." Aleph says.  "There's no way in hell I'd be able to not kill someone with this."  And with that he took two arrows out in his hand, firing two shots at someone who isn't using minion-shields...
<Aleph> roll 1d20+7
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 18 > [d20=11]
<Aleph> roll 1d20+7
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 10 > [d20=3]
<Merc> ooc - one hit
<Aleph> roll 1d8+1 stupid non-upgrade bow damage
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 2 > [d8=1]
<Merc> Aleph's arrow bounces off his target's armor, as the various bar patrons begin to rush forward, although pretty much all of them are immediately intercepted by the guards, who yell out "You guys focus on the dirtbag! We'll keep the rest of them busy!"
<Merc> The guy taking all the hits looks angered as his blade dashes out to cut Jack. "You fools, stop being so disorganized! There's more of us here than there are of them!" He yells out.
<Merc> roll d20+7
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 23 > [d20=16]
<Merc> roll 2d6+3
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 12 > [d6=6,3]
<Merc> ooc - roll DR, Jack
<Jack> roll 1d2
<Penuche> Jack invokes Penuche's magic: < 1 > [d2=1]
* Kheldar quickly counters the man's efforts to calm the rabble and organize a defense. "The King's Own have this entire place surrounded! I have but to yell, and they'll rush in to crush you! SURRENDER!"
<Merc> ooc - Anassia here or still afk?
<Merc> Anassia begins muttering words as she gathers up magical energy and then launches it
<Merc> roll d20+3
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 16 > [d20=13]
<Merc> roll d20+7 fort
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 27 > [d20=20]
<Merc> While the magic hits its target, the man simply grits his teeth and resists whatever it would have done.
<Merc> ooc - round 2
<Merc> The goon that hit Kheldor earlier turns back to him and strikes at him. "Don't turn your back on an enemy, fool!"
<Merc> roll d20+12
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 30 > [d20=18]
<Merc> roll d8+3
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 4 > [d8=1]
<Merc> ooc - roll DR
<Kheldar> roll 1d3
<Penuche> Kheldar invokes Penuche's magic: < 3 > [d3=3]
<Merc> While Kheldor's back is unprotected, 'tis only a flesh wound!
<Merc> The other goon meanwhile scowls as he attempts to target Maya, striking with one sword at her body, while the other swings for her blade in an attempt to disarm her.
<Merc> roll d20+9
<Merc> roll d20+9
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 14 > [d20=5]
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 24 > [d20=15]
<Merc> ooc - second roll was the attempted disarm, opposed roll (he has improved disarm, so no AoO)
<Merc> ooc - you get a +4 on the attack roll to oppose btw, as you are wielding a 2H
<Maya> ooc: Eek.
<Maya> roll 1d20+7+4+3
<Penuche> Maya invokes Penuche's magic: < 25 > [d20=11]
<Merc> While it's close, Maya manages to barely hold onto her blade as the guards and mooks continue fighting off to the side.
<Merc> ooc - Maya
* Maya smiles and dances among the swift blows, moving to one side and the other, hardly even frightened as she closes the gap, leaving little room for either a strike or for someone to be pulled in the way.  "This time, boys, I'll use the sharp side.  You might not want to be in the way!"  She ducked low and then leaped, bringing her blade up in a powerful slash from the legs.
<Maya> roll 1d20+19 Dodge AoOs
<Penuche> Maya invokes Penuche's magic: < 25 > [d20=6]
<Maya> roll 1d20+15 Jumping attack stunt (Trying to add +3 to my hit)
<Penuche> Maya invokes Penuche's magic: < 32 > [d20=17]
<Maya> roll 1d20+7+3+2+3  to hit!
<Penuche> Maya invokes Penuche's magic: < 17 > [d20=2]
<Merc> ooc - miss actually
<Maya> OOC: Doing some side stepping to build momentum.  Dodging AoOs while doing so.  Then doing a jumping attack stunt for increased to hit.
* Maya lifts her blade right past his nose, the slash sounding through the air but sadly not drawing blood.
<Merc> ooc - Jack
* Jack sommersaults past Johan, hoping the odd angle of attack catches him off guard (looking to add +2 to attack)
<Jack> roll 1d20+8
<Penuche> Jack invokes Penuche's magic: < 18 > [d20=10]
<Merc> roll d20+6
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 10 > [d20=4]
<Merc> ooc - stunt works
<Jack> roll 1d20+8
<Penuche> Jack invokes Penuche's magic: < 18 > [d20=10]
<Merc> ooc - bare hit
<Merc> roll d20+7
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 27 > [d20=20]
<Jack> roll 1d6+6
<Penuche> Jack invokes Penuche's magic: < 11 > [d6=5]
<Jack> roll 3d6
<Penuche> Jack invokes Penuche's magic: < 16 > [d6=6,4,6]
<Merc> roll 2+d3
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 3 > [d3=1]
<Merc> The man's eyes widen as his life flashes before him as Jack's blade just rips through him, dropping him to the ground as he starts bleeding, coughing. "BOSSSSS!!!" various of the bar patrons start shouting.
<Merc> ooc - Elise
* Jack kneels next to the fallen boss "You want him to live? Then throw down your arms or I end him right here!"
<Merc> ooc - intimidate or bluff
<Jack> roll 1d20+7 bluff
<Penuche> Jack invokes Penuche's magic: < 22 > [d20=15]
* Elise hefts her hammer, posing dramatically over the fallen man. "He's not yet dead, but he will be if you don't stand down NOW!"
<Elise> OOC: I can do intimidate?
<Merc> ooc - sure
<Elise> roll 1d20+6
<Penuche> Elise invokes Penuche's magic: < 16 > [d20=10]
<Merc> roll d20+4
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 21 > [d20=17]
<Merc> The various men look conflicted, but finally nod, as they drop their weapons.
* Jack gets to work on stabilizing the bastard
<Jack> roll 1d20+9 heal
<Penuche> Jack invokes Penuche's magic: < 29 > [d20=20]
<Merc> Jack quickly and methodically gives Johan the best damn bandaging in the whole damn world.
* Kheldar straightens from his crouch, wincing slightly. "A wise decsion."
* Elise stands over him and keeps watch on anyone who might change their mind about the whole cooperation thing.
* Maya joins Elise in her watch, having not really even broken a sweat helping break up one of the resident thieves guilds.
<Merc> The guards are quickly taking care of all the people that participated in combat, making sure they -won't- in fact, change their mind.
* Kheldar points at the guard closest to the door. "You. Run out and assemble the others. Tell them to release any they may have caught escaping and have them form up in squads at the front."
<Merc> The guard nods, as he goes does just that.
* Kheldar stalks over to Johan, who he hopes is concious. "All for naught, Master Johan. I told you that you'd come with me one way or another." He stoops down, and with a grunt, heaves the man to his feet.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.