Odds and ends

Started by Anastasia, September 09, 2010, 04:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuthirin

How much time has passed since the original campaign and the new one?

Is there a world map?

Are the outlying farming & mining counties named? If so, can we have some of those names?
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Merc

It looks like it's been a mere 20-26 years since original campaign. World flavor thread shows the Crimson Guard at existing around 393-397 DK, with their game starting at 398 DK as mortals. Sometime after/during 398 DK is when they ascended. We're starting at 424 DK.

As for maps, there did use to be a thread in the old board with maps, and I remember seeing them, but it's curiously empty. Dunno if it's that the image links went dead or what, though.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Corwin

401 DK was pretty much the time the Guard stopped any involvement on Prime. There are also maps Eb did with Dune before, which I could upload to imageshack or something if they're still relevant.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

I'm not sure what's up with the map thread, I'll edit posts and see what the fuck's wrong. Edit: Quick link shows that the links are intact but dead. Since they're hosted SR links I'll talk to Drac about it.

As for small villages? To the south is Parsifal, the largest mining community for the Baronies. Past that I don't label every village and settlement, feel free to add one there to your tastes if you need one for background. Talk to me, we'll make something up.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on September 11, 2010, 01:11:46 PM
401 DK was pretty much the time the Guard stopped any involvement on Prime. There are also maps Eb did with Dune before, which I could upload to imageshack or something if they're still relevant.

Please. The city of Balmuria ones are outdated, as is the map of Malmuth. The map of the Baronies, the Fiefdoms and points west is essentially accurate. Edit since I'm an idiot: I plan to do a new map of the city of Balmuria and the changed areas.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Okay, the maps. First, the ones Dune said were mostly unchanged.

http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/5213/desertmap.gif
http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/8986/kelara.gif
http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/3793/chillander.gif

Next, the maps that Dune said were outdated and need to change, still here for reference. I figure the actual land isn't likely to change, nor the town names, just the political borders.

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/4669/balmuriamap.gif
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/8328/malmuthmap.gif
http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/4377/newbalmuria.gif

Now, the legend. Let's orient by the Bay of Sparkling Stars. The relevant map is balmuriamap.gif. Originally, all this and even further to the west, plus the empire in malmuthmap.gif, were all one big happy Malmuthian empire. However, the breakaway north-western provinces established the United Baronies, which we can see in part on balmuriamap.gif (as stated above, they still continue to the west). Eventually, Valandia was annexed to them as the result of a defensive war, and finally, the Malmuthian empire kept on breaking down into its components, what's left of it closing rank around the capital, the metropolis of Malmuth. The United Baronies picked up some of these fragments, while Balmuria itself achieved the status of a free city-state, a pretty much autonomous entity amongst the rest of the United Baronies.

To the west of Balmuria, past the rest of the Baronies, lies the land of the Desert Fiefdoms. Ruled by a Pasha, it is represented upon the desertmap.gif. Further west still, you have the land of Kelara, akin to a princedom and ruled by a council of nobles. It is Alicia's place of birth! Further to the west you get impenetrable jungle; the only known ways to cross it have been via teleportation, or by using a portal. Then, you would reach the isolated western lands where the kingdoms of Kesse, Sanaxt and Evrai stand out, along with a strong dwarven presence. Further exploration west is blocked by the ocean.

To the east of Balmuria you have the Barbarian Lands, a land of wild forests where fey, giants, goblins and followers of Jannath have taken residence. Of particular notice is the unicorn grove, containing the first sighting of unicorns in the known world. Past them still, heading east, is the elven empire of Pallanth. It predates human civilization by a measure of ten thousand years, give or take, having weathered the various calamities that brought humanity down due to a combination of luck and isolation. An enormously vast part of it is taken by the frozen lands of the very east extending all the way to the Amaryl Mountain Range, administered by Lord Chillander. This inhospitable east is pictured on chillander.gif, and the size of the region is such that a mage of above-average skill could teleport from Balmuria to the Citadel of Light, the capital of Pallanth, and could reach anywhere else in the empire with a second teleport, yet would need two such teleports (or the aid of a portal) to get to the edge of Chillander's realm. Incidentally, the port city of Elfsander located on the road from the Citadel and Balmuria is where Seira was born.

Returning briefly to the Desert Fiefdoms, if one would go south from its capital of Arad, they would have one day ran into the Wastes, one of many regions in the world that was utterly ruined by the cataclysmic battles which brought an end to many a civilization that existed two thousand years ago. Pallanth has expanded in that direction, once the reclamation of the Wastes started around 399 DK (the land had to be connected via a portal, as it not contiguous to Pallanth-proper). Another such project was to take place near Malmuth, but with the situation there as it was, said project was indefinitely delayed.

I think this only leaves newbalmuria.gif, which can be used as a guide of how Balmuria used to be some two decades ago. The city surely expanded even further and acquired new sites while some of the olds were replaced.

Things of note: there is a dwarven community in the Galkass mountains by Balmuria, and if one travels underwater for several hours into the Bay of Sparkling Stars, they would chance upon a thriving sea elf village, the closest of such underwater communities to the local human lands.

Corwin

Weird VoP and Imater-related questions I thought of, however utterly unlikely they are to come up.

Is it a violation to stay in a Magnificent Mansion that I conjured up? That someone else conjured up?

How does an LG deity like Ilmater offer evil spells in his domain slots? For example, the Suffering domain offers a symbol of pain. The domain itself doesn't seem particularly objectionable, so I'm wondering how his clerics deal with this. (yes, I realize they can just pick a different domain spell for the slot, but that's only a mechanic solution, not an explanation for the dogma)

Ebiris

Suggestion for a Houserule!

Do like D20 Modern does and eliminate the Open Lock skill, because a lock is just a device and should therefore be disabled by the Disable Device skill!

Yuthirin

1. [13:07] <Yuth-Sick> BTW, those ARE the isolationist elves, right?

2. [13:34] <Yuth-Sick> Also, are they xenophobic or just mistrustful of outsiders?
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on September 11, 2010, 03:44:23 PM
Weird VoP and Ilmater-related questions I thought of, however utterly unlikely they are to come up.

Is it a violation to stay in a Magnificent Mansion that I conjured up? That someone else conjured up?

First of all, casting it yourself would be a trick since it requires a 5 GP focus. Ignoring that, it wouldn't be a technical violation of VoP.  The point of the vow is to live with nothing and forgo such pleasures, constantly using a spell like that would violate the spirit of it.

QuoteHow does an LG deity like Ilmater offer evil spells in his domain slots? For example, the Suffering domain offers a symbol of pain. The domain itself doesn't seem particularly objectionable, so I'm wondering how his clerics deal with this. (yes, I realize they can just pick a different domain spell for the slot, but that's only a mechanic solution, not an explanation for the dogma)

I think you're asking two separate things, or asking one thing that's not expressed well. There is a mechanical question and a fluff question. For mechanics, I'd rule that Ilmater can't grant evil magic. It's like Shar granting Holy Aura. It's simply not happening,  no matter how appropriate it might be in a situation. I think the logic they use is that the thematic closeness justifies giving the spell out, though I disagree. A good (exalted good, really) deity simply should not grant evil magic. So you're correct in that the two evil spells would need to be replaced for his suffering domain.

Let me quote Ilmater's dogma from Faiths and Pantheons for the second part of this.

QuoteHelp all that hurt, no matter who they are. The truly holy take on the suffering of others. If you suffer in his name, Ilmater is there to support you. Stick to your cause if it is right, whatever the pain or peril. There is no shame in a meaningful death. Stand up to all tyrants, and allow no injustice to go unchallenged. Emphasize the spiritual nature of life over the existence of the material body.

To the servants of Ilmater, taking on suffering is a holy act. His clergy exist to mitigate the suffering of others and spread relief. Certainly that part makes sense. Then why would he grant his clerics the ability to cause suffering to others? Ilmater is a humble power, but he is not a pacifist. He has granted the tormented and downtrodden powerful magic before to strike their tormentors, as well as sponsoring paladins who fight evil. To his wise servants he grants the heaviest burden of suffering; the ability inflict suffering onto others. A cleric of Ilmater who casts Symbol of Pain does so with a heavy heart. It is an act avoided with all ability and resources, the last resort to stop tyranny and evil. When evil must be stopped with violence, those of Ilmater take on the physical suffering of opposing them in the flesh, then carry the spiritual suffering of the deeds committed in Ilmater's name. Let them be the executioners when no other option avails, so that the just may live without the guilt of bloodstained hands.

<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Ebiris on September 11, 2010, 03:49:37 PM
Suggestion for a Houserule!

Do like D20 Modern does and eliminate the Open Lock skill, because a lock is just a device and should therefore be disabled by the Disable Device skill!

Sure, works for me. I'll add it to the houserules tomorrow assuming no one else has anything to say about it. If anyone does, speak up now.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on September 11, 2010, 04:43:39 PM
1. [13:07] <Yuth-Sick> BTW, those ARE the isolationist elves, right?

2. [13:34] <Yuth-Sick> Also, are they xenophobic or just mistrustful of outsiders?

The elves of Pallanth are the isolationist ones. Pallanth is currently undergoing a cultural shift. The elves aren't quite xenophobic, but more mistrustful and mildly convinced of their superiority to humans. Nothing too out of the normal stock. Unlike typical D&D elves they are organized into a medieval society, eschewing the more fey and chaotic tinged aspects of their society.

In the past 20-30 years, Pallanth has allied with the United Baronies. A result of this is an opening of their borders and greater spread of elven society. Meanwhile, the elven pantheon is beginning to act openly in these past twenty years and fey creatures have returned. Much of Pallanth is in the throes of a counter-culture movement, between those who stick to the current society and those who wish to embrace a more fey-styled existence.  It grows stickier with that the Seladrine supports the chaotic-fey view, while a few non-elven powers who have some influence in Pallanth do not. In other words it's complicated. I'll go into this more later when I post the background info about them.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Question four from Merc, Mr. Can't be bothered to post his questions. >_>

Quote<Merc> who's the god of death/rites in Balmuria? Kelemvor? Like, if there's a day you want to mourn for dead family, whose church does one go to? Or would it just be whomever the parents followed?

Kelemvor is the God of the dead. He is currently in a frosty war with Helm, who has encroached onto the portfolio of death with the Well of Souls. Last rites, funerals and graveyards are dealt with by the faith the individual followed. The basic pattern is usually the same - some sort of rites just before or after death, a memorial and then a funeral. The details vary wildly between faiths. Those without faith can make private arrangements into cemeteries. Those who die without faith or without those setups are handled by local authorities. In Balmuria that makes for a pauper's cremation.

If you have interests in the specifics of a particular faith, speak up. (Knowledge: Religion ranks will help!) If you want to get into more specifics about any of this, feel free to follow up.
<Afina> Forever.

Merc

Reason I was asking was background, that's about it. Parents were traders, so pondered if on their death anniversary I should donate gold to Kelemvor, Waukeen (as their patron), or some other god.

Also, new question! Pious Templar's feat prereq, True Believer, requires one to be within one step alignment of deity. Can this be waived? >_>

And had a chance to look at Knight of Sacred Seal?
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Anastasia

Quote from: Merc on September 11, 2010, 08:09:47 PMReason I was asking was background, that's about it. Parents were traders, so pondered if on their death anniversary I should donate gold to Kelemvor, Waukeen (as their patron), or some other god.

Probably Waukeen then. You can decide the exact particulars of their death and internment as you see fit, just run it past me when it's done. Feel free to use this to tie into your backstory or add onto something.

QuoteAlso, new question! Pious Templar's feat prereq, True Believer, requires one to be within one step alignment of deity. Can this be waived? >_>

That's fine. It's not that good a feat anyway unless you have a good relic lined up. Also Alicia was drifting towards NG near the end of Balmuria, so some leniency there is acceptable.

QuoteAnd had a chance to look at Knight of Sacred Seal?

I knew I forgot something. Hold on, I'll post again in a few.
<Afina> Forever.