News:

"Destiny Challenged us and so we chose to end the world.  There was nothing to regret.  Nothing."

Main Menu

Discussion on Character Creation

Started by Merc, September 12, 2010, 12:14:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracos

I got sidetracked in the whole finish commenting on Merc's sheet, but I think you misunderstood and leaped past short detail into tons.

I'm really just looking for a little reminder bit at the end.  So that:

Tough, L5, 10 pts

becomes

Tough, L5, 10 pts - 45 extra hp

or

Divine Relationship, L5, 10 pts. - 5 rerolls per session/arc.

or

Exorcism - 10 m range.  Counter mind control/metamorph.

Not meaning to bloat sheets a lot.  Just to give a quick scan.
Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

Sorry Merc, I've been sidetracked this week and haven't given feedback.
Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

Note for others:  Keeping your attributes alphabetical makes it easier to review them.  :)  Thanks to doing that for future sheets.

For merc now.

1)Same as above.  Try and make your sheet cover the finer details, as a Feat would in D&D so I don't have to look up 'yeah level 3 of this hits 3 cm!'  Yes other posts say this, I wrote this beforehand.

2)We don't have called shots, so Precise Aim will only give you the improved aim ability or trick shots.  Just FYI.

3)I notice you didn't take a weaponized version of Exorcism, just a special ofuda attack.  This means you can't directly damage evil spirits without them.  Oversight or intentional?  Might be sensible to get a small raw exorcism damage.  though its only with ofuda anyway.  oh well :)

4)Do note, I weakened the loss on multiple attacks, so extra defenses isn't 'quite' as valuable.  Still not adjusting the price.

5)Put a bit of desc with your Feature(appearance).  How does it manifest.  Is it unearthly beauty.  Teen princess.  Cutesy.  Stylish.  Just a bit for flavor awareness.

6)Good to see a healer.

7)Armor needs better description (What the hell is it?  Miko Robes?) and as it's an item, see the house rules on it.  How can it be disabled/lost, and how can it be replaced.

8)Are you saying the armor ALSO has an unknown power on it?  Can't you just pick flight or something?  36 pts of unknown power?  Odds are I will not add 50 percent boost on it.  So if you want to select something, please take now to do so.

9)You've got some complicated weaponry.  Going through the math, it all looks kosher, but you will need to remind me of things like "Yeah I hit someone with my special attack, it ignores armor and only applies mind shield!"  "I drain 4 soul here, instead of 2, cuz its a youma".

10)Ettiquette specialization - Temple Courtesy.

11)You're really specialized in Anti-Evil.  I guess I'll have to make sure to mix in some mercs and other types of things, otherwise that targeted evil stuff would move from area of specialty (cool) to used in every fight ever (not so).  Actually, I think I'm going to deny 'Targeted - Evil'.  You can totally go Targeted Youma or Oni or something like that, but 'evil' is a little too broad based and I think would rightfully apply to pretty much anything you might encounter.  I suppose in fairness I should provide a list of enemy types, but really anything in a standard anime world might show up. 

12)Nama had the right idea.  Please do include your damage (and side effects) by your attacks.  You don't have to do this, but I think it'll make life easier mid session.

13) You and Iddy really got your sheets done in timely fashion.  Thank you.  Much appreciated.  Polish up desc and the above and you should be good to go.
Well, Goodbye.

Merc

Quote from: Dracos on September 27, 2010, 04:14:52 AM2)We don't have called shots, so Precise Aim will only give you the improved aim ability or trick shots.  Just FYI.
That's fine, the goal was to make it so that the ofuda hit people in the head, since that's what it's always like in anime.

Quote4)Do note, I weakened the loss on multiple attacks, so extra defenses isn't 'quite' as valuable.  Still not adjusting the price.
That's fine, I just figured concept-wise, a miko would be used to being swarmed by spirits and training to deal with multiple opponents then.

Quote5)Put a bit of desc with your Feature(appearance).  How does it manifest.  Is it unearthly beauty.  Teen princess.  Cutesy.  Stylish.  Just a bit for flavor awareness.
I will.

Quote7)Armor needs better description (What the hell is it?  Miko Robes?) and as it's an item, see the house rules on it.  How can it be disabled/lost, and how can it be replaced.

8)Are you saying the armor ALSO has an unknown power on it?  Can't you just pick flight or something?  36 pts of unknown power?  Odds are I will not add 50 percent boost on it.  So if you want to select something, please take now to do so.
You're mis-reading this. The restriction means that the armor applies -only- to the object. It doesn't give me any armor at all. This just basically means that the ball is an -extremely- hard thing to break. Given it's the condensed soul of a kitsune, you kind of have to expect that.

The unknown power just means that it's something tied to the ball. I'd actually almost say that my idea behind putting that there is that if in-game I have to 'lend' the ball back to Iddy, he can crack some power out of it, ie a boost to his fire abilities, for example. Could be anything, up to you and Iddy, but that was the idea behind that. It could be something for me as well, I guess, but it'd probably fit more if it's something with a restriction that only Iddy can use it, it's just that I carry the item, or if I use it, it's much less effective.

I wanted the ball to be something special, not just a random macguffin trinket I carry around, but wasn't entirely sure how to show that.

Quote10)Ettiquette specialization - Temple Courtesy.
works for me.

Quote3)I notice you didn't take a weaponized version of Exorcism, just a special ofuda attack.  This means you can't directly damage evil spirits without them.  Oversight or intentional?  Might be sensible to get a small raw exorcism damage.  though its only with ofuda anyway.  oh well :)
The ofuda are the essentially weaponized version. Note the 'Drain 2: Soul' part.

Quote9)You've got some complicated weaponry.  Going through the math, it all looks kosher, but you will need to remind me of things like "Yeah I hit someone with my special attack, it ignores armor and only applies mind shield!"  "I drain 4 soul here, instead of 2, cuz its a youma".

11)You're really specialized in Anti-Evil.  I guess I'll have to make sure to mix in some mercs and other types of things, otherwise that targeted evil stuff would move from area of specialty (cool) to used in every fight ever (not so).  Actually, I think I'm going to deny 'Targeted - Evil'.  You can totally go Targeted Youma or Oni or something like that, but 'evil' is a little too broad based and I think would rightfully apply to pretty much anything you might encounter.  I suppose in fairness I should provide a list of enemy types, but really anything in a standard anime world might show up.
I'll modify the targetted stuff. I may also modiy how the weaponry/attacks work a bit.

New questions:
1) To clarify for targetting - If I consider youma to be all supernatural monsters and demons, and have things target both youma and spirits, is this agreeable?
2) In regards to denying targeted - Evil. Could I still use this on restrictions?
3) I know I mentioned my issues with Melee Attack/Ranged Attack attribute. Could I possibly just use Attack Training (naginata) 3pt/level and Attack Training (ofuda) 3pt/level, as opposed to having to go for: Melee Attack (naginata), Ranged Attack (naginata), Melee Attack (ofuda), Ranged Attack (ofuda)? I currently only really have two of those covered, and I want to have all four. But I'm not paying 12pt/level for that when Attack Combat Mastery is a flat 10pt/level.
4) Regarding the Reach variable, how will it come into play ingame? It says you can't attack if someone gets within your range...but there's no such thing as AoOs here, and you're allowed limited movement as part of an offensive action. So is that just flavor text, and reach just means I go first initiative-wise vs an opponent in melee range? How does that affect if I switch targets who are both in melee range?
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Dracos

So on face, I like Ataru's concept.  I don't know if I am comfortable with stats already at the max value (That's kind of investing overmuch there).  Ataru, any comments on that?

I'll do a focused review when I am near my book.

Still lacking Ryder and Navi.  Really unfortunate, but I need to start making enemies and running tutorials.  Maybe this sunday if I can get myself moving enough to do it.

Gonna get back to merc tonight.
Well, Goodbye.

Merc

He's just the captain america of body. 12 just means maximum human potential, it's still within human levels. And hey, if Captain America can keep up with Thor, Iron Man, the Hulk, etc...~
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Dracos

Quote from: Merc on September 29, 2010, 01:10:26 AM
Quote7)Armor needs better description (What the hell is it?  Miko Robes?) and as it's an item, see the house rules on it.  How can it be disabled/lost, and how can it be replaced.

8)Are you saying the armor ALSO has an unknown power on it?  Can't you just pick flight or something?  36 pts of unknown power?  Odds are I will not add 50 percent boost on it.  So if you want to select something, please take now to do so.
You're mis-reading this. The restriction means that the armor applies -only- to the object. It doesn't give me any armor at all. This just basically means that the ball is an -extremely- hard thing to break. Given it's the condensed soul of a kitsune, you kind of have to expect that.

The unknown power just means that it's something tied to the ball. I'd actually almost say that my idea behind putting that there is that if in-game I have to 'lend' the ball back to Iddy, he can crack some power out of it, ie a boost to his fire abilities, for example. Could be anything, up to you and Iddy, but that was the idea behind that. It could be something for me as well, I guess, but it'd probably fit more if it's something with a restriction that only Iddy can use it, it's just that I carry the item, or if I use it, it's much less effective.

I wanted the ball to be something special, not just a random macguffin trinket I carry around, but wasn't entirely sure how to show that.

Yeah I totally misunderstood that was the ball. :)  Okay that's cool.  Props.

New questions:
1) To clarify for targetting - If I consider youma to be all supernatural monsters and demons, and have things target both youma and spirits, is this agreeable?

You can put both Youma (Basically most evil monster types) and Spirits (more generic spirit types) down, but as two separate ones if you want both.  Youma probably covers what you want for most game purposes.

2) In regards to denying targeted - Evil. Could I still use this on restrictions?

Yes.  Your intent I assume is "This is only useful against real evil".

3) I know I mentioned my issues with Melee Attack/Ranged Attack attribute. Could I possibly just use Attack Training (naginata) 3pt/level and Attack Training (ofuda) 3pt/level, as opposed to having to go for: Melee Attack (naginata), Ranged Attack (naginata), Melee Attack (ofuda), Ranged Attack (ofuda)? I currently only really have two of those covered, and I want to have all four. But I'm not paying 12pt/level for that when Attack Combat Mastery is a flat 10pt/level.
ya know: Sure.
4) Regarding the Reach variable, how will it come into play ingame? It says you can't attack if someone gets within your range...but there's no such thing as AoOs here, and you're allowed limited movement as part of an offensive action. So is that just flavor text, and reach just means I go first initiative-wise vs an opponent in melee range? How does that affect if I switch targets who are both in melee range?

Frankly, the rules on reach fall too close to not keeping things simple.  I don't really find their mid-init explanation clear since it seems to read 'If character without reach rolls higher on init but attacks a character with reach, the character with reach skips ahead in init to go'.  Neither do the length bits work.  We're not going to be mapping out things in hexes.

So unless you really want it, I'm real tempted to treat the entire trait as flavor except when relevant (Oh sure, you can attack someone farther away).  No penalty to close range combat, but no special init handling either.  It's just something that lets you strike folks that would be otherwise farther away.
Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

Reminder: The lot of you guys need names and descs and ideally backgrounds.
Well, Goodbye.