017. "20 marks will show the proper amount of reverence to the Golden Lady."

Started by Corwin, October 26, 2010, 04:43:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corwin

[19:32] <Kotono> "I was going to," Sylvie says, "But Janson stole the show. How about we set up a little further down and I try that this time?"
[19:34] <Janson> "Also, I noticed you were giving people a few mean looks," Janson notes quietly to Sylvie. "Remember, you're the Queen of Whimsical Sweets, not the Queen of Fearsome Poison!"
[19:36] <Kotono> "Right," Sylvie whispers back, "Let's go up and try by Waukeen's temple, say?"
[19:36] * Aaeru freezes. "Must we?"
[19:38] <Janson> "People there are rich, they can afford to pay us loads!" Janson points out brightly, going back to walking crisply behind Sylvie in the majordomo role once more.
[19:38] <Aaeru> Shoulders sagging, Aaeru shuffles until she is as hidden from sight as she would.
[19:39] <Wayland> "I agree. I think that Waukeen would bless any legitimate attempt to profit, no?"
[19:39] <Kotono> "Temples are good for business, especially WAukeen's," Sylvie smiles winsomely to Aaeru, "They have problems and lots of money. Oh, that too."
[19:39] <Andria> "As long as they don't decide to charge us for advertising near their temple. Not that I think they could, but I wouldn't be surprised..."
[19:41] <Kotono> With this the party walks along Merchant's Way. You get many a look as you reach the shadow of the Second Temple of the Golden Mistress. Here Sylvie looks about and nods, "Back me up here," she whispers, "I'm going to give a big speech, back me up if it doesn't go well."
[19:43] <Janson> "Right," Janson nods quietly, wracking his brain for a good way to do so as he stands in an officious stance behind the fake-monarch.
[19:44] * Wayland nods firmly.
[19:47] <Kotono> Sylvie clears her throat once and then aloud, "As the Queen of Sweets, I hereby invite one and all to come to my court at Whimisical Sweets!" A beat as she takes a breath, "All the finest candies are there, paired with the legendary warriors and knights who laid low the foul Sharran who schemed against this city!" She makes as weep of her arm, talent giving a healthy shake, "To one and all that
[19:47] <Kotono> come I offer a wonderland!"
[19:47] <Kotono> roll 1d20+7 (+4 cunning insight, perform: oratory check)
[19:47] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+7 (+4 cunning insight, perform: oratory check) and gets 27." [1d20=20]
[19:48] * Janson is so impressed with Sylvie's speech that he even forgets to point out how she neglected to mention the werewolf!
[19:49] <Wayland> "Nice projection. Very impressive." Wayland grins as he whispers up to Sylvie.
[19:50] <Kotono> The crowds of people stop and draw closer, both from Merchant's WAy behind you and coming from the Temple of Waukeen ahead. Sylvie looks about with an imperious gaze, kind and yet regal. "Grant them the key to my realm, my retainers and servants! Give one and all passage!"
[19:51] <Janson> With Sylvie's blessing, Janson steps smartly forward to start handing out fliers to the crowd!
[19:51] <Wayland> "Of course, my lady!" Wayland sets about handing out fliers!
[19:52] <Aaeru> This is something she is easily able to follow up on, and Aaeru likewise follows the orders, choosing the sections of the crowd where anyone from the temple wouldn't be able to see her.
[19:53] <Kotono> Fliers are dutifully taken, one taking one from Wayland. A young girl with big eyes, staring up at Sylvie and Wayland. "A-are you an a-a-a," A struggle there, her cheeks red as her eyes are wide as she stumbles over it, "Aasimar like big sis?"
[19:54] <Kotono> A guardsman comes up, taking one from Aaeru, "Thanks," he says, looking her in the eye and snapping his fingers, "...oh, I remember you bringing that Sharran in! I had the front gate that day!"
[19:54] <Aaeru> "Thank you for always protecting us," Aaeru responds, curtseying.
[19:55] <Wayland> Smiling kindly at the little girl, Wayland says, "No, not quite, young lady. I am what is called a Genasi. I am the distant son of an Air Elemental."
[19:56] <Kotono> "You're welcome," With a grin and a tip of his head to Sylvie, "I'll come by when I'm not on duty sometime, one less dangerous pyschopath we had to subdue ourselves so we're greatful."
[19:57] <Kotono> The little girl stares up at Wayland, "Aaaair Elemental? Like this air?" She blows at Wayland's knee, a little puff.
[19:57] <Aaeru> "The candy's pretty good, too," Aaeru says, before leaning closer and confiding in the guard, "Did you know that the shop's master is the first ever Candymancer?"
[19:58] <Wayland> "A little bit. More like sometimes you see the men made of stone walking through the city? That kind of elemental. Men made of air."
[19:58] <Kotono> As Andrea goes about an old crone with a walking stick and wearing a black dress comes up to her. She takes a flier, "Bless you," she murmurs low, "Bless anyone who wears that necklace, young'in."
[19:58] <Kotono> Sylvie doesn't quite giggle, but out of the corner of her mouth, "Wow...I really did this good, Janson? It's just like I read about for oratory!"
[19:59] <Andria> Andrea laughs cheerfully as the little girl chats with Wayland, and continues giving out fliers to people until the old crone comes up to her. "Thank you, ma'am! Are you a follower of Alicia as well?" she asks. Given how much most members of Alicia's faith travels, it wouldn't be uncommon to meet a new face.
[19:59] <Kotono> "Yeah, I heard the report. Went all around the rumor mill," With a slightly amused look, as a man reaches over the guard's shoulder for a flier, "How does that work?"
[19:59] <Janson> Having handed out most of his fliers and returned to station by the fake-queen, "It was well phrased and snappy enough to leave people wanting more," he agrees, blushing faint purple. "Better than my singing, that's for sure. Guess that's why you're the Queen?"
[20:00] <Kotono> "Ooooooh," the girl says, "Momma says they're specshul!" Stumbling over the word and cutely frowning, shaking her pig-tailed head back and forth, "Specshul blood like big sis, too?"
[20:01] <Aaeru> "He can animate all sorts of chocolate, and the taste of the various elven breads is simply magical," Aaeru responds. Or so she has been told, but surely the people she knows wouldn't lie.
[20:01] <Wayland> "Yes, exactly. We have special blood. Special people in our ancestry that make us special, too."
[20:01] <Kotono> "No...but I saw her when she lived in Balmuria," The crone keeps her voice down, "When she flew into the night sky to defeat Death itself, when the dead walked all the streets of the city."
[20:03] <Kotono> "Heheh," Sylvie grins as the fliers begin to run out, "Thanks!"
[20:03] <Kotono> "Ooooh," The guardsman says, "Well, I'll see for myself when I go. Thanks," Taking his flier he nods to Aaeru and walks back through the crowd. In a louder voice, "Orderly procession! Orderly!"
[20:04] <Kotono> "Ooooh," The little girl reaches up to tug at Wayland's pants, "Do you know big sis? Momma said she went where there's a lot of speschul people."
[20:04] * Aaeru waves brightly at him as he goes, before resuming her job of handing out fliers to interested onlookers!
[20:06] <Andria> "Oh, I see! Well, I don't expect to be fighting things of the same scale as her, but I do hope to fight the good fight along with my friends. Please keep in mind Whimsical Sweets if you or your friends ever have any problems, or just want to savor some of the sweetness of the world," Andrea tells the old woman with a smile.
[20:06] <Wayland> At this, Wayland looks confused. "I'm not sure. A lot of special people, you say? Did she say where this was?"
[20:06] <Kotono> "I will," The old woman nods her head once and turns, "Thank you, young'in," She turns and slowly walks away.
[20:07] <Kotono> "Momma always looks up and says in the sky," With a happy little smile, "That big sis went above."
[20:08] <Andria> "Please come by Alicia's Chapel some time and share some stories, miss!" Andrea calls out to the old woman before she's gone completely before returning to handing out fliers.
[20:09] <Kotono> As the party works, a tall, limping man in rich golden robes emerges from the temple. He wades through the crowd, "Ah, greetings!" His loud voice draws attention, "You stand on the front step of the Golden Lady's house. Allow me to inquire why."
[20:09] <Wayland> A bit of realization creeps into his expresion as Wayland smiles at the girl. "Well, I'm sure she's very happy up there."
[20:10] <Janson> "Where better to have Waukeen shine her love on our business venture?" Janson responds eagerly. "Praise Waukeen! Commerce! Capitalism! Exchange of goods and services!"
[20:10] <Kotono> "Uh huh," Sniffling, "I miss big sis, but Momma says she'll come back once she finds her Daddy. I wish I could go, but big sis says I need to stay here."
[20:11] <Wayland> "Indeed, such is my own quest as well. I never knew my mommy or daddy, and I hope to find them someday."
[20:12] <Kotono> "Ah yes, I see, I see, I see," The limping man claps his hands together, "But you understand that there are certain niceties involved in this. If you wish to work here we have no quarrel, but there are certain things that must happen first. So that everyone's happy and understands each other, you see."
[20:13] <Kotono> The little girl nods, "Maybe big sis can help you find them once she comes back home?"
[20:14] <Wayland> Ruffling the little girl's hair, Wayland grins. "Maybe. We'll see. I'm sure she'll come and see you first, though."
[20:14] <Janson> "Uh..." Janson rubs his chin. "Do you want some candy? Is that it?" he leans forward, "Because ours is the best!"
[20:15] <Kotono> "Okay!" With a big smile missing a front tooth, the little girl makes a curtesy, "I'll have Momma take me here!" Waving a flier, "Thanks!" With that she turns and hurries off, as the crowd begins to thin out.
[20:15] <Wayland> Waving to the little girl, Wayland turns to see what the fuss is about with the man from the temple.
[20:16] <Kotono> "Ah, not quite. You see, Waukeen teaches that bonds of civility and wealth build civilization." With a warm smile, "But you see, it's only civilized to go through the proper channels and make the proper arraingements when you wish to be outside of Waukeen's church. A slight fee for this both ensures proper understanding and will gain the favor of the Mother of Trade."
[20:17] <Janson> "That sounds fair," Janson admits, not inclined to disrespect a goddess when engaged in an activity that requires her favour. "How much?"
[20:18] <Kotono> "Ah, are we not friends before," With a nod to Aaeruin particular, "We have crossed paths before...despite the decided misfortune of the second time," That makes his brow crease, "But I am under the impression that no mephits are with your group this time?"
[20:19] <Janson> "Oh, no, that little guy's back down below, hard at work to keep the steam baths hot or whatever it is they do down there... hopefully they get paid, or that might be the sort of thing Waukeen would frown on, wouldn't it?" Janson muses thoughtfully.
[20:19] <Aaeru> "None whatsoever," Aaeru confirms, stepping up to Janson and the priest. "Not even a stray pixie."
[20:20] <Kotono> "Good, good," Thinking a moment, "20 marks will show the proper amount of reverence to the Golden Lady."
[20:22] <Kotono> Sylvie's eyes widen, and in a barely kept down whisper, "20!? I could by several books with that much!"
[20:22] * Janson digs into his coin pouch a moment, fishing out two platinum marks. "Here you go!" he hands them over brightly. "Mention us in your prayers to Waukeen tonight!"
[20:23] * Aaeru awkwardly observes the transaction, unable to contribute or offer any alternatives herself.
[20:26] <Kotono> "Ah, platinum! I see Waukeen has blessed you already!" The coins are taken into the priest's robes, as he utters a prayer, "Oh Golden Lady, bless them and their commerce!" He holds a golden disk in hand, the face of a regal woman carved within. He raises his arms up to the sky, "Show them the path to prosperity!" After that he lets his arms fall back down, "Waukeen shall bless your treasury. If
[20:26] <Kotono> you are to continue, the Church of Golden Flames is next door.  You may find fortune there as well."
[20:27] <Janson> "Well, we were thinking of going a bit further, I think everyone around here's already heard us... up to the Queen, though!" Janson turns and defers to Sylvie.
[20:27] <Kotono> "It is taken under advisement," Queen Sylvie says with grace, "Thank you, good priest."
[20:28] <Kotono> The priest is content to smile, "May Waukeen bless you!" He goes off, most of the crowd having dissipated by this point. Once gone Sylvie looks to them, "We went through a lot of fliers so fast," she says in small wonder, a hand to her chest, "G-goodness, my heart's still racing...ah, did we really just DO that in front of everyone?"
[20:28] <Aaeru> "You were an inspiration to all," Aaeru says honestly.
[20:29] <Wayland> "Very nicely done, Sylvie!" Wayland cheers.
[20:29] <Janson> "Come on, is it that different than what you were doing when the shop opened the first time?" Janson asks the blonde. "I had fun, anyway!"
[20:29] <Kotono> "It was just like I read for how to do it," Sylvie goes on, taking a deep breath, "Wow, um...how about we go back now? That's good enough for Josa and he'll probably want us to do this again anyway, so we can try there next time?"
[20:30] <Kotono> "I was nervous there, too!" That comes tumbling out, and then with a bow of her head, "But a job is a job and I need the money. Even if I feel like I'm a mascot sometimes."
[20:30] <Wayland> "Sounds good to me. I think we're about out of fliers anyhow. We can hand the remainder out as we head back."
[20:33] <Kotono> With that the party heads home. The next night is the full moon, and the following morning the four meet up at the House of Suffering. Gweonryn wears a plain tunic and pants, sitting down and eating a bowl of plain stew with gusto. Looking up to the party as you come in, he pauses as he sees Wayland. His eyes dart down, "Wayland, is it?"
[20:34] <Aaeru> "That means you remember?"
[20:35] <Wayland> "Indeed, my friend. Good to see that you are feeling better, more yourself."
[20:36] <Kotono> "I remember snatches of it," Gweonryn says, "Like a feverish nightmare. I'm sorry," he hangs his head, "Though you draw breath yet, so...thank you, all of you. I'm sorry for any pain and wounds I caused you."
[20:36] <Janson> "Don't worry, it's like it never happened!" Janson replies in a chipper manner. "How'd you end up infected, anyway?"
[20:37] * Wayland nods. "I would say that you should not feel too badly. We came to you, after all, and you did try to warn us to leave."
[20:40] <Kotono> "I was traveling west of Balmuria, in...Malway, I think it was." Humming a moment, "It was late and I didn't make good time that day because of heavy rains, so I had to rough it outside instead of at an inn. I found a few trees and set up to sleep. I woke up later in pitch black. No moon, no stars, just rain and clouds. I woke up to the howling of wolves all around me." His voice pauses a moment,
[20:40] <Kotono> "I grabbed my axe to defend myself, but one of the wolves became human-like and engaged me. I fought it and fought it off, but was bitten. I continued on to Balmuria, but..."
[20:41] <Aaeru> "Why didn't you seek help?" Aaeru asks him. "From us, the temple of Helm, your friends, the Guard... anyone?"
[20:42] <Kotono> "I wasn't myself. As I began to change, my mind changed. I had feelngs, impulses and thoughts that weren't my own!" Shaking his head back and forth, "I was terrified, trying to act, but it was like anightmare where you can't ever get away."
[20:43] * Aaeru nods slowly in understanding. "I suppose it makes sense, as that was a curse...."
[20:43] <Janson> "I guess if it was easy to control yourself people would be lining up to get bit," Janson agrees with a sigh. "We better watch out if we ever head West ourselves, I guess."
[20:45] <Kotono> "Yeah," Gweonryn says, "I'm going to go talk to a friend in town - I think you know her - and make sure the right people know about this. I don't know if they can find or stop them, but hell, at least people will know then."
[20:46] <Wayland> "Lady Moongal and Dacote? They're the ones who asked us to find you."
[20:46] <Aaeru> "It might also be for the best if you eventually pay Helm's temple a visit. We know you weren't yourself, but that inquisitor of theirs might feel better about the whole thing if he sees how you were not responsible for your actions at the time."
[20:46] <Andria> "It's good that you plan on warning others," Andrea says warmly. "I certainly hope nobody else encounters that other pack of werewolves in the meantime, although we'll do our part to help spread the word."
[20:48] <Kotono> "Yeah," Gweonryn says, "That's them. Thanks, you all." Now he rises, offering his hand out, "I ain't got much, but dammit you guys deserve something for taking my bacon out of the fire. I'll have something sent over to you guys once I get myself together."
[20:49] <Janson> "Don't stress about it too much," Janson gives his hand a shake, "Lady Moongal gave us a really nice magic sword for our trouble."
[20:50] <Andria> Andrea nods. "Concern yourself more with recovering, that's more than enough for us at this point."
[20:51] <Kotono> "Did she?" Gweonryn's jaw clenches, "...yeah, we're even then. Alright." He stands up slowly, offering his hand out. His voice is a bit strained as, "Thanks, all of you."
[20:52] <Aaeru> roll 1d20+5 what are you so openly upset about?
[20:52] * Hatbot --> "Aaeru rolls 1d20+5 what are you so openly upset about? and gets 10." [1d20=5]
[20:53] <Aaeru> "Did you really want it?" Aaeru wonders.
[20:53] <Wayland> Taking his hand, Wayland shakes it firmly. "We're always happy to help out. If you need anything, let us know."
[20:54] <Kotono> "...something like that," Gweonryn shakes his head after the handshake, "It's not your fault, it's hers. She always does things like this, with whatever catches her fancy."
[20:55] <Aaeru> "I can understand! Some people are just like that," Aaeru commiserates. "All we can do is accept it, forgive them and move on."
[20:55] * Janson doesn't really have anything to say to the sudden awkwardness, so... "Anyway, feel better. Hopefully things'll be better when we run into each other next?" he offers, backing away to leave.
[20:56] <Kotono> "Yeah, I will." A nod to Janson and then Aaeru, "Thanks, all of you."
[21:03] <Kotono> A few days pass as summer waxes in Balmuria. One early morning the four come to Whimisical Sweets. Here you find Sylvie upstairs, clad in a loose robe held in place with a belt. She cries out as she makes strong lunging punches, Silver flying abouta nd guiding her blows. "Like this, and like that," she says! Josa watches with a neutral expression, "Ah, come in, come in! We have business! Prime
[21:03] <Kotono> business!"
[21:04] * Wayland steps in and has a seat...somewhere.
[21:04] * Aaeru gives Sylvie a friendly wave, before Josa gains her full attention. "Someone needs our assistance?"
[21:04] * Janson doesn't distract the two brutal warriors practicing their deadly craft, instead devoting his full attention to the candyman. "What's the job, boss?"
[21:07] <Kotono> "Oh sure," Sylvie says, "Could you show me how to make those overhead blows better? Boss says he wants me to get this figured out sooner than later."
[21:09] <Aaeru> "Certainly!" Aaeru volunteers, moving closer. She can listen to Josa just fine while helping Sylvie get the forms right, after all.
[21:13] <Kotono> "Maskal Buldstein is a traveler from the east - Somewhere around the Enaldis Mountains, I gathered. He's requested some troublesolving, but wants to meet the troublesolvers before making up his mind. He's staying in the Dancing Dragon, go meet him, impress him and make us some money.
[21:13] <Kotono> "
[21:13] <Janson> "Oh, we know the way there at least," Janson nods. "No clues what he's actually after?"
[21:14] <Kotono> "He was evasive." Josa says, shaking his head, "I told him that we don't do relationship solving, but he said that wasn't it. To think that such secrecy is required; I do concede that he may merely be a cautious man, but nevertheless I do wonder."
[21:16] <Janson> "Seems a little weird, but I guess he'll have to tell us before he hires us," Janson muses, getting up to go.
[21:16] <Aaeru> "It doesn't cost us anything to go and look," Aaeru agrees.
[21:17] <Kotono> "Good luck," Silver calls as as Janson gets up, "Hey, maybe Sylvie should go instead of Wayland! If he's a cautious man, he might mistake WAyland for a criminal. Why just a few days ago innocent children thought Wayland was a menace!"
[21:17] <Andria> "I'm certainly curious over why it's such a big deal to keep things secret, but let's find out," Andrea says as she starts heading towards the door, shaking her head at Silver's antics.
[21:18] <Kotono> "Nonsense, fey," Josa makes a dismissive gesture of his hand, "Wayland is a fine and upstanding citizen of unusual ancestory! But he is not a tiefling or demon-blooded, such believes are completely unfounded!"
[21:18] <Aaeru> "What if he wants to hire a criminal, though?" Aaeru finds herself asking Silver.
[21:18] <Wayland> "Why don't you come over here and say that, fey." Wayland growls.
[21:19] <Kotono> Silver stays no Sylvie's head, sticking her tongue out at him! "Aren't you a brute, wanting to hurt a tiny little fey! That's like trying to beat up a baby!"
[21:19] <Janson> "You're both sure acting like babies, that's for sure," Janson mutters, heading downstairs away from the argument.
[21:20] <Kotono> Sylvie rubs her temples, "It's a job..." she mutters, reaching up to pluck Silver off and release her into the air. "Thanks Aaeru, I'll practice with you later!"
[21:21] * Aaeru demonstrates a mock punch for Sylvie, grinning. "You can count on it!" she calls back, and follows Janson downstairs.
[21:23] <Wayland> Muttering to himself, Wayland walks outside.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake