News:

"Destiny Challenged us and so we chose to end the world.  There was nothing to regret.  Nothing."

Main Menu

Cries from the Dreaming Cradle

Started by Carthrat, December 01, 2010, 07:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carthrat

[19:58] <Laggy> 11 AM. The alarm next to Sakura's bed gives an almost resigned beep and just that. It had gone off over an hour ago with the full chorus and has since then regulated itself to the fact that the current occupant of the bed is not responding anytime soon.
[19:59] <Laggy> It's been two weeks since the Arais' parents have left for America on a business trip, or so at least the story goes. Facing with the prospect of limited finances due to various circumstances, Sakura's job hunting prospects have been a little discouraging at best, but she finally landed an interview! That she was supposed to be at. By noon. Forty minutes across the city.
[19:59] <Laggy> The alarm blinks its bright red LED, and then promptly fades away into negligence again.
[20:02] <Sakura> The heavy covers over the bed shift slightly, permitting a small mop of black hair to be seen just at the edge of the pillow. A heavy eye cracks open, and catches sight of one of Sakura's many clocks- the alarm clock by her bed, or one of the analogs hanging on each corner of her room. They serve their intended purpose-
[20:03] <Sakura> -when the actual time manages to reach her still-groggy mind, what little adredaline Sakura can muster surges through her body, prompting a swift response! She slowly- so slowly, begins to roll to the edge of her bed.
[20:07] <Laggy> It's a lazy Friday, and with a quick glance to the window it promises a gloomy day outside with gray clouds and an unhappy disposition. With school slated to begin in less than a week, the weather promises only to get worse, not better. Sakura's feet eventually find themselves landing onto the somewhat chilly carpet beneath, blankets sliding over in her rise from slumber.
[20:08] <Laggy> The house is quiet. It is almost mute. The heater has been neglected in the interest of keeping finances low. And so...
[20:10] <Sakura> Unhappiness begins to colour Sakura's mood. She must get a job. Absolutely must get a job before school begins, and this is likely her only chance. She stumbles out of her room, heading towards the fridge, where a half-litre bottle of iced coffee awaits her.
[20:12] <Laggy> Mr. Coffee. It's a brand that you can find at any of the local vending machines. The detective with his pipe emblazoned on the can's side stares wordlessly at Sakura, the hum of the light in the fridge breaking the still silence.
[20:12] <Laggy> Akahoshi doesn't appear to be around. He's probably still asleep, taking advantage of these slow days, non-filled with classes and homework.
[20:13] <Laggy> It occurs dimly to Sakura that unless she really hauls ass or shows up dressed in her pajamas, time isn't on her side. The interview is for a small mom and pop shop of some undisclosed business that didn't really elaborate in the newspaper ad, so maybe they're more lax about these things, but..
[20:15] <Sakura> Sakura glares balefully at the investigator's face. Distasteful as he is, however, she unscrews the cap and begins to drain the bottle on her way into the bathroom. Shower. Five minutes. She can drink it inside, if necessary, but a proper interviewee is clean and fresh. Better to appear neat and tidy and be late than show up on time looking like a ragamuffin. Her guide to interviews only used one line on puntuality, but several on the importance of appearance.
[20:17] <Laggy> Caffeine! Delicious caffeine. It doesn't really do much to kick off the morning malaise, but the shower does wonders. Sakura emerges well-dressed and as ready as can be, and a cursory glance at the clock tells her she can still catch the train at 15 past the hour, which entails only a brief jog rather than a full sprint.
[20:18] <Laggy> The Arai residence is tucked away in an urban maze of apartment complexes that are open-air facing narrow alleyways and one-way streets. Getting out on car is a nuisance until you hit the main road, and even then all of the perils of driving around any prefecture in the TOkyo area is still fraught with issues. It's a fairly quiet neighborhood, though. Clothelines and the smell of moisture in the air wafts through the window.
[20:19] <Laggy> Outside, Sakura can hear a dog barking, and the sound of the wind picking up.
[20:19] <Sakura> Alternatively, she could take her bicycle to the station, a device acquired after many late arrivals prompted her to seek a means of making up for time lost oversleeping. The bicycle also allows for a quick escape from local neighbourhood pests, and is one of Sakura's most treasured possessions owing to it's sheer utility.
[20:22] <Laggy> Cycling is very much an option. Aside from some hills that she's more than familiar with power-pedaling through, the area poses little difficulty in letting the enterprising cyclist get around. She passes a few distant residents who spare her a moment's glance before going about tending to their plants or their kids, but is more or less left alone.
[20:24] <Laggy> Pulling out of the residential area and drifting through the perimeter of Fukuyi City's shopping district, the scene is pretty muted. There's the usual stalls and an occasional wandering soul here and there, but it's as dead as day as it can get. Most of the food joints don't even open till noon, a sign of the laid-back attitude of the locals here in comparison to bustling Akihaba or other locales just a train ride away.
[20:25] <Laggy> Sakura pulls up to the train station, where a bicycle rack greets her. It is currently completely empty, and no one else is in line. The tracks are deserted.
[20:27] <Sakura> Sakura brings her bike onto the train with her. She isn't precisely sure of the distance she would have to walk to reach her soon-to-be employer, and the bike could shave valuable seconds off her arrival time. Furthermore, held in the correct way, the bike would prevent any other travellers from drawing too close to her.
[20:30] <Laggy> The commute traffic may have been normally a concern, but as the train pulls in at precisely fifteen minutes past the hour - after some cursory waiting - Sakura's glances into the windows reveals basically complete emptiness. Ice crawls down her spine as she looks about for even one passenger, since Fukuyi is hardly the first stop on the way into town, but she catches no one seated, just that man in blue on the other side of the
[20:31] <Laggy> tracks. The train beeps, and the door slides open. No one's inside. Or anywhere.
[20:33] <Sakura> If Sakura doesn't catch this train, she is sure to be late. She doesn't have time to listen to her primitive instincts, no doubt some after-effect of her extreme caffiene intake. She marches onto the train without hestitation.
[20:34] <Laggy> The door slides shut.
[20:34] <Laggy> The train departs. The circular handles on top start swaying back and forth in rhythm of the train's movement. Back and forth, back and forth. They move back and forth in perfect unison. Back and forth. Back and forth.
[20:35] <Sakura> There's no need to grab a handle. She has to hold onto her bike, in any case.
[20:38] <Laggy> The train rides through. Outside, gray clouds have clustered ominously about, and nary a ray of light peeks through, giving Sakura an expansive view of nothing but concrete and steel. From memory, the next stop's twenty minutes away.
[20:39] <Laggy> Since it's still morning, none of the buildings that the train pass have any lights, but with the weather being as it is you could almost pass it as dusk. A screeching noise pierces through the rattle of the tracks as it enters a tunnel, and the entire line is plunged into darkness.
[20:41] <Laggy> Sakura's steady grip on her bike reassures her that it's still there. But she can barely make out any details in the train now. The tunnel goes for about ten seconds, then usually blasts back out with the sun overhead. Today, at least, it would greet her with solemn gray.
[20:41] <Laggy> Except it doesn't. The train is still screeching. And it's still pitch black.
[20:41] <Laggy> Ten seconds. Twenty seconds. Thirty seconds. It shouldn't take this long to get through the tunnel.
[20:45] <Sakura> The tunnel should't even be this dark. The screeching indicates high speed. It is unusual. Could she have caught the wrong train, taken a diverging path through the tunnel? That would be logical. She glances at the electronic displays all about the train in an attempt to confirm this theory.
[20:46] <Laggy> The lights that normally brightly proclaim the next destination and the route are not lit. She swore they were a second ago right before the train entered the tunnel. It's almost like power was cut.
[20:48] <Sakura> The thought that it could be a malfunction briefly enters Sakura's mind, and passes just as quickly. Were that so, the train would be stopping, not keeping a level course. And she is certain she took the correct line. She frowns to herself, and stands up. There is at least one other person on this train-
[20:48] <Sakura> -and she intends to ask him directly what is going on, even if it means crossing through the carriages until she reaches the operator cabin.
[20:49] <Sakura> Of course, Sakura will not part with her bike.
[20:50] <Laggy> As she rises from her seat and starts to slowly drag along her bike, a sudden overwhelming exhaustion strikes her, causing her to involuntarily hunch over for a moment, and then--
[20:51] <Laggy> Sakura blinks her eyes, waking from a dream. At least, it very much feels like it. Looking around, the train is plodding along, and has almost reached the next stop. The lights overhead indicate clearly, and in unison, the electronic voice incants, "Train approaching Renko Station. Passengers, please depart in an orderly fashion."
[20:52] <Laggy> As the train rolls in, Sakura notices that there's a number of passengers who are, at least here, waiting to get onboard. Now that they're actually nearing Tokyo, the normal crowd is beginning to show up.
[20:55] <Sakura> Sakura stands up, and begins to depart the train. It's getting beyond a joke, she thinks- how long until she simply falls asleep one day, and never wakes up? Her narcolepsy is getting more severe, she thinks. What to do... see a doctor? Yes, that would be the best course of action. She'll make an appointment.
[20:56] <Laggy> There is the family doctor, but he's pretty nosy, and there are various concerning factors that would probably make Sakura not inclined to see him. She'll have to find a clinic or another practitioner at some point if she wants alternatives.
[20:57] <Laggy> Sakura departs. An overhanging large clock reveals the time to 12:18 - not horribly late - and off she is on her bike. The Tanakas' store turns out to be tucked away in a nest of various pawn shops and odds and ends, and their particular shop is filled with clockwork and other antique goods that involve moving mechanical parts and gears.
[20:58] <Laggy> There are a few lingering customers about, a young boy of about six walking around and getting his hands on just about every cog and wheel that he can find, and a solemn-looking middle-aged man behind the counter, occasionally glancing at his watch.
[20:59] <Sakura> Leaving her bike by the door, Sakura walks into the shop and approaches the counter. "I'm sorry that I'm late," she states, with a formal bow. "I'm Arai Sakura, here about the job opening."
[21:00] <Laggy> Tanaka gives Sakura a quick lookover, a flicker of surprise on his face. "Ah, yes. From the call yesterday, correct? Please come to the back. My wife will speak with you."
[21:01] <Laggy> He gestures behind the counter, which does indeed lead to a tiny office built into the wall. A large, magnificent grandfather clock stands just outside of it. Its dials are not moving.
[21:03] <Laggy> Inside, Mrs. Tanaka appears to be a lady aging with grace - in shape, with buns and curly silver hair, and currently menacing a small antique pocket watch with a pair of clippers and one screwdriver. She glances up, wire-rimmed glasses, and inspects Sakura momentarily. Seeming to like what she sees, "Sit down, young girl. Where'd you say you were from again?"
[21:05] <Sakura> "Thank you. Fuyuki City," replies Sakura, taking a seat and taking a light grip on the side of the chair.
[19:14] <Annerose> Aww, mouth not outpacing brain after all?
[19:14] <Candide> My brain caught up

Carthrat

[11:03] <Laggy> "Ah, not too far then. As you can see, we have a fairly humble shop here. My husband and I have been running it for twenty years." She steeples her hands together and appraises the girl in front of her more closely. "We need someone who can watch the store on the weekend and run some delivery trips. I wouldn't expect you to have any tinkering knowledge, but if you do, you could do some of the more mundane tuning up as well."
[11:04] <Laggy> "Do you think you'd be up to that?"
[11:07] <Sakura> "I'm afraid I don't know much about this sort of engineering," replies Sakura, glancing at the watch at Tanaka's desk. "But I am certainly up for looking after the shop on weekends. And if it would be helpful, I could learn about the craft."
[11:10] <Laggy> "That'll just be fine. I ask that you be prompt on arrival. We won't be here as we're hoping to take the time off, so you will handle opening and closing, as well as inventory. We also have a lot of local customers whom we would like to hand-deliver their items rather than having them come to our corner - perhaps something you can handle, after school, during the week?" she inquires, tapping one finger on the side of her work table.
[11:13] <Sakura> A job with tight deadlines, that involves watching a lonely store rarely frequented for hours on end- that certainly sounds like something Sakura could do without the slighest problem. "A few days a week," she replies, inclining her head. "What times are opening and closing on the weekends?"
[11:14] <Laggy> "Eleven till six in the evening. Inventory will probably take an hour, so you'll likely have the door locked and shutters closed by seven. We had a young man doing all of this for the past year, but he just went to Tokyo U, so..."
[11:20] <Sakura> Would inventory really be much of a problem, when she can't imagine the store doing overmuch business on weekend afternoons? "I see."
[11:20] <Laggy> "We'll have you watch shop this coming weekend and continue from there. We like to have a probationary period of a month before we finalize anything, but I don't foresee any issues. Just remember to show up." She leans back to the side next to an old file cabinet and slides it open, pulling out a document after some paper ruffling.
[11:20] <Laggy> Presenting it to Sakura, it's a fairly straightforward and to-the-point employment contract. Only a smidgen above minimum wage, but that was no surprise. "If you're interested, please sign here." There was the usual: her home address, phone number, birth of date, and so forth.
[11:22] <Sakura> It's a pity; with a shop like this, getting paid cash-in-hand might have been possible. Sakura produces a pen (one must always have a pen). "I understand," she replies, beginning to fill out the form. "May I ask if there were any other applicants?"
[11:23] <Laggy> "A few, but they didn't look very trustworthy," she says with a harumph. "All boys who looked like they might break the clocks rather than fix them."
[11:30] <Sakura> Sakura nods to herself. "I have a collection of clocks, myself. Though I don't really understand how they work, I do try to stay constantly conscious of time."
[11:32] <Laggy> "They are quite a marvel," she says with a slight drawl, looking back down at the pocketwatch she was fiddling with. "A lot of care and intricacy put into them that few people understand and realize anymore."
[11:34] <Laggy> Something out of the corner of Sakura's eye catches her attention: outside in the shop, there was a man - in a full bore, dark navy blue cloak - gliding through the perimeter of the store. It couldn't be called walking, the way he just swept through like he being drawn through the air. His face was angled away from the office, but he was at least 6'5" of a sturdy disposition.
[11:37] <Sakura> Unusual. She is sure she has seen that man before, and unless this is a dream, she has no reason to doubt her eyes. Of course, if it is a dream, her actions lack consequence. "It's a shame. I think they are the most complex device that can still be repaired and maintained almost entirely by hand."
[11:38] <Laggy> "Some are, like that old clock up in front. To this day, we've still never managed to quite get it working. It's something of a long-standing challenge."
[11:39] <Laggy> Mrs. Tanaka is looking at Sakura's penmanship and seeming to evaluate it.
[11:39] <Laggy> "Tomorrow, then, if that is not too soon? I would like you to get started immediately, and it is the weekend."
[11:41] <Sakura> Precise, though this is a place where her brother outshines her- how much would she give for his ability to memorize limitless kanji? "Not at all. I was hoping for a quick start," replies Sakura. "At eleven, then?"
[11:42] <Laggy> She nods solemnly. "My husband will be here to show you the shop for the first few days, but after that you will be expected to maintain it on your own. I am sure you're more than capable of doing it."
[11:45] <Sakura> "I think so, too," replies Sakura, as though it's obvious. "Thank you very much."
[11:47] <Laggy> She nods and waves her off. "We'll see you tomorrow." Mrs. Tanaka is a frank woman, and shortly after this proclamation she goes back to tinkering, seeming to take the hire of a new employee rather matter-of-factly.
[11:51] <Sakura> It went more easily than she expected. No questions, no lenghtly screening process. It seems the woman saw what she wanted in Sakura within seconds of looking at her. She stands up, bows politely, and walks over to retrive her bicycle. Since she skipped a proper breakfast to reach the interview in time, she decides to think about what to do with the rest of her day over some lunch.
[11:53] <Laggy> The man is blue is still there, seeming to actually be browsing the store. For whatever reason, Mr. Tanaka is ignoring him, holding a clipboard and a pen in his mouth as he walks around. As Sakura departs, the former starts and turns around to examine her. His face is hooded and shrouded away from visible sight. He does not look even remotely normal, fashion or demeanor.
[11:56] <Sakura> Sakura feels her steps hit the ground lightly. Her instincts scream at her to ignore this man, to walk away and act as though he was never there, and in any case she's hungry.
[11:57] <Laggy> She does this seemingly unmolested. There are a multitude of eats for Sakura to partake in; does she spring for something local or intend to go back home?
[11:59] <Sakura> Her cooking skills are nothing to be impressed by- a good homemaker Sakura is not. A local cafe of some sort is selected mostly at random, though she makes sure to take a seat that affords a view of the entrance.
[12:00] <Laggy> Sakura is seated promptly and gets her selection of tea or coffee as she prefers by a bored-looking waitress. Overhead, she may be distressed to hear a rumbling sound in the distance, a forebearer of bad weather to come. In fact, with the way the clouds have been gathering all day, it's kind of a surprise the downpour hasn't come yet.
[12:01] <Laggy> Lucky Dum-Dum Cat Cafe has no other customers at the moment. A large, oversized cat with a giant golden yen symbol stares wordlessly at her from the entrance as she sips at her drink, which is blissfully warm. The street outside has an occasional stray running through, a bike wizzing by. It's such a quiet day.
[12:02] <Laggy> She feels chills crawl up her spine again, the unnatural feeling that one is being watched, but no visual confirmation as such can confirm this. And the scent in the air - rain's definitely going to be coming soon. It's still a ways back to the station and farther yet to home.
[12:04] <Sakura> Coffee keeps her going throughout the day. The question is, does she rush home now, or opt to try waiting out the rain at this lonely place? She'll finish her lunch first- ham and cheese baguettes, and if it starts coming down by the end of it she'll order another coffee and pass the time with her phone.
[12:06] <Laggy> As she reaches to take a bite out of delicious sammich, her phone rings. (What girlish tone does Sakura fancy?)
[12:10] <Sakura> Staple Stable's opening riffs have only a second to play before Sakura answers her phone. "Arai speaking..."
[12:11] <Laggy> The caller is Aya Shirai, an acquaintence from school. She's the same year as Sakura, a quiet girl with horn-rimmed glasses whom Sakura grudingly acknowledges as someone who's quite possibly better at certain fields than she is. They were pseudo-rivals, though Aya never seemed to press the competition, all throughout junior high, each edging one another at local competitions and bees until, one day, they were both assigned as partners to a sc
[12:13] <Laggy> -to a science field trip. This involved going out into a park and catching a frog. Sakura hated to deal with animals. Aya hated to deal with the dissection that came afterwards. A mutual agreement was reached, along with a careful but subtle mutual respect for each other. Since then, Aya has kept in touch on mainly academic affairs with Sakura. She has since then seemed more interested in making sure both of them stay ahead of the curve rathe
[12:14] <Laggy> -curve rather than gaining the upper hand, and is routinely Sakura's easiest avenue to figuring out extracirrucular activities or getting through cram stuff that her parents routinely throw at her.
[12:14] <Laggy> And she's calling. It's a week before school starts. This is very unusual.
[12:14] <Laggy> "Sakura," Aya's hushed tone comes through the phone speakers, "are you busy today?"
[12:15] <Sakura> "I just came out an interview, but I'm free for the rest of the day," replies Sakura. "It's unusual for you to call before school starts, Aya-san."
[12:17] <Laggy> "It's not school-related. I..." There's a pregnant pause on the phone. "Something came up, and I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to make it to the start of school next week."
[12:18] <Laggy> "Well, I guess it kind of is school-related. Could you do me a favor?"
[12:19] <Sakura> "If you'd like me to speak to the staff and keep pertinent notes, it would be possible..."
[12:21] <Laggy> "No, nothing like that. I--" She seems rather hesitant on continuing. "I really need someone here. Someone I know who could give me sound advice. I'm so sorry to impose like this, but could you come over today? My parents are gone for the day..."
[12:22] <Laggy> This is highly unusual. Aya is not the personal or girly type, not even remotely. She's never leaned on Sakura as any sort of emotional support.
[12:23] <Laggy> And, overhead, Sakura is greeted by another roar as droplets of rain starts sprinkling themselves against the cafe windows.
[12:23] <Sakura> "What happened, Aya?" asks Sakura, glancing outside to check the cloud status. "It's raining. Could you tell me over the phone?"
[12:26] <Laggy> The person on the other side of the call seems to be struggling with an answer to that. "I really wish I could, but I don't think I can. If it's too inconvenient, though, it's fine... it's not something that's really your concern or field of expertise." That sounds more like normal Aya, though there's cracks there.
[12:28] <Sakura> "I see. I'll visit if the rain abates," replies Sakura, though she's doubtful that will happen for hours. "Though, come to think of it, I don't know where you live. Are you in the Renko area?"
[12:30] <Laggy> Sakura has indeed never had the opportunity to visit Aya anywhere but school. "No, Teppo. It's much too far. Please don't mind it." The call abruptly cuts to the dial tone. Teppo, incidentally, runs in the opposite direction of the line Sakura took here, so it would be well over two hours to reach it in the first place.
[12:30] <Laggy> Sakura's ham and cheese baguettes are still waiting to be eaten, and the interruption has made her realize how ravenous she is.
[12:31] <Sakura> Sakura would shake her fist at the rain. How dare it stand between her and something that could bring some meaning to the rest of her? She resumes eating her meal in irritated silence.
[12:34] <Akahoshi> Staple Stable would start up again. Someone was calling, and a glance at the ID would prove it was from home.
[12:36] <Sakura> Sakura's impenetrable face-of-steel softens when she sees the caller, and she answers the phone promptly. "Akahoshi?"
[12:37] <Akahoshi> "Hey sis," he responds with some sound of cheer. "How'd the interview go? Did you make it in time?"
[12:38] <Sakura> "No, but that was no obstacle to securing the position," replies Sakura, sounding slightly proud. "It looked like a nice, quiet place."
[12:38] <Akahoshi> "Haha! Well, I see your umbrella here ... guess that means you didn't bother to look at the sky before you left huh?" There was a light snicker at the end of it. Amused, clearly.
[12:39] <Sakura> "I don't bother with them. When I use them, they always break," she replies. "I'm stuck in a cafe down in Renko, but if the rain lets up I'm going to head over to Teppo. What are you up to today?"
[12:42] <Akahoshi> "Nothing." Well that was fairly typical. Akahoshi was rather often up to nothing on the days off and after schools. Which usually ended with him reading books. "Hey ... sis. I'm gonna come bring you your umbrella, alright?" Not unusual either. He tended to try and tag along with her if he was up to nothing.
[12:43] <Sakura> "It's alright, Akahoshi. I'll be fine." It is unusual, on the other hand, for Sakura to blow him off. "I don't have anything important to do today anyway, so whiling it away here is fine with me."
[12:47] <Akahoshi> "Oh." He sounded incredibly disapointed. "Are you sure?" of course he was insisting, he wanted to see his sister. Or maybe he just wanted something to do that wasn't being a lazy bum at home. "I mean. I wanted to talk to you about a couple of things ..."
[12:50] <Sakura> "Well, we are talking now, aren't we?" asks Sakura, sounding amused. "Let's embrace technology and have a long discussion this way. Besides, it's almost an hour to get here from home, and that's when you use a bike. I'm sure the rain will break before then."
[12:51] <Akahoshi> "Well ... Yeah, I guess." Still sounding incredibly disapointed. "I was thinking, maybe ... I should get a job too, you know? I mean. You've got cram school and everything. That way, I cam help out too."
[12:55] <Sakura> "Hmm. Actually, I cancelled cram school for this year- but I think you should worry about your grades before a job. You can always look for work, but you shouldn't do anything that endangers your future prospects," replies Sakura, in her stern voice. "We should have enough money to get by this way."
[12:57] <Akahoshi> There was a silence at the other end for a moment, and when Akahoshi spoke again there was disbelief in his words. "You ... you cancelled it? Mom and dad actually said that was okay?" Very, very surprised. "Geeze."
[12:58] <Sakura> "They did not. Please don't tell them. As long as I produce good results this year, though, it won't be a problem, right?" There is a trace of irritation in Sakura's voice. "I can't stand those classes. And I wouldn't be able to juggle cram school with a job, either."
[13:00] <Sakura> "But we're discussing you," she continues. "I saw your report card last year. It's an improvement, but I think you can do better."
[13:01] <Akahoshi> "Oh man they are going to freak ..." He sounded worried now. Very worried. "Sis, honestly. I don't mind. I can get a job then you can keep going ..." He trailed off. She was already changing the subject and at that point, there was nothing he could do about it. When she got on a subject ... "Eeeeh. Like it matters. I do well enough to pass."
[13:02] <Laggy> Thunder rumbles in the distance, and the rain picks up from a downpour to a drought. The pitter-patter is replaced by the sound of drenching, the pavement now filled with a steady stream of water sliding into the storm drains.
[13:03] <Sakura> "Akahoshi. This is senior school, now. It's not like the earlier years," replies Sakura, glancing outside. "This is where you have a chance to be noticed for your efforts, unlike before. Wouldn't it be great if we could both get scholarships?"
[13:04] <Akahoshi> "They never noticed before, how's it going to be any different now? It's not worth it." She could practically hear him shrugging his shoulders on the other end. "What am I even going to do with a scholarship? More school? For what? Honestly."
[13:07] <Sakura> Sakura sighs. "Well, if not that, what are your plans for the future? I'm willing to concede that the Japanese secondary education system is quite flawed, but it is still the best path for many opportunities. If you have something else in mind..."
[13:09] <Akahoshi> "Not really," he admitted with a sigh. "I dunno. I'll get some salary man job. Work in an office or something." Still lacking in ambition and dreams, it seemed.
[13:10] <Laggy> A figure looms in the distance. Sakura notices a large man dressed in a familiar azure cloak stepping through past the windows. He's completely soaked, and doesn't seem to care in the slightest.
[13:10] <Laggy> The waittress is gone, having disappeared into the back of the cafe a minute back, presumably to handle something in the kitchen or whatever. Sakura gets the uncomfortable realization that she's alone in this place for the time being.
[13:12] <Sakura> This is getting ridiculous. "You should think about it," she replies, after a moment. "I don't think it's worth burning bridges... hmph. I won't like it if you get a dead-end job just to earn a little money. If you're going to look for work, find something that goes somewhere, okay?"
[13:13] <Laggy> He's walking into the cafe, stepping into the doorway, and just stands there like a statue, water dripping from his boots and coat and forming a small puddle on the floor. The hood still covers his facial features. He looks like an overdressed detective with monotone fashion sense, whatnot with the coat and the heavy cloak.
[13:15] <Akahoshi> "Yeah, well. Honestly does it matter? If I have time to read that should be enough." Geeze what an introvert. He was a hikimori in the making! "But ... I'll try. I promise that I'll look for something worthwhile, and ... maybe work a little harder in school." But only because big sis was asking!
[13:15] <Laggy> One arm reaches out and with a sudden, startled realization, Sakura feels a grip grabbing her throat and pressuring it with uncalled for force. The hood has turned to stare at her, and she still can't catch anything but inky blackness.
[13:16] <Sakura> "Ghkk.. kuh..." Sakura reaches up for her neck, as though to wrestle away the invisible presence. So. This is magic, then.
[13:16] <Laggy> The figure speaks. His hand is poised in the air, poised in a vice grip into seeming nothingness, as Sakura is being strangled. "Where is Saito Arai?" Her father's name. His words are like ice on skin. She's having trouble getting any circulation.
[13:17] <Laggy> The phone slips from her grip and clatters to the floor.
[13:17] <Akahoshi> "Sis? ... Sis?" Clattering phone was not good. "... Sis?" Worried.
[13:17] <Laggy> Sakura's hands wrest at the nothingness holding her by the neck. Her vision's beginning to see black dots.
[13:17] <Sakura> There is only one response Sakura can give to that. If she can even choke out letters indicating the U.S to this fellow.
[13:18] <Laggy> The grip loosens, but only slightly, letting Sakura cough violently and regain her breath.
[13:18] <Laggy> She still feels the phantom hand holding her tenaciously. The figure doesn't move. He only repeats. "Where is Saito Arai?"
[13:18] <Akahoshi> "SIS! Sakura! Hey did you fall asleep on me or something c'mon this isn't funny!"
[13:19] <Laggy> Akahoshi's voice is tinny and electronic from across the floor.
[13:19] <Sakura> Sakura's hands come down to the table, where she tries to steady herself. "America," she repeats, stubbornly.
[13:20] <Laggy> "He is not there. He never arrived. I know you know more. You refused to relinquish. Speak now."
[13:22] <Sakura> How can she convince this man her words are true? Someone this implacable... "I don't. That's where he said he was going," she replies, still breathing heavily. "If he's not there, then I don't know either."
[13:24] <Akahoshi> "SAKURA!" And several more exclamations of sis later, the line went dead.
[13:25] <Laggy> The grip returns in full force as consciousness threatens to heave from her, as she feels her head slam back against the seat as the man in blue clenches his hand in the air. "If you do not know, you would have not resisted so much. Reveal your secrets."
[13:26] <Laggy> Sakura's eyes widen involuntarily - and a dim shade of golden hue begins to color her vision. She blinks, momentarily, as she can actually see an almost holographic outline of golden strands in the shape of a humanoid hand gripping her throat in front of her, detached and separate from the figure in front of her.
[13:28] <Sakura> Sakura's head rings with pain. Holographic. Immaterial, yet forceful all the same. Could her own hands have an effect on it? She absolutely must free herself, before this man goes after Akihoshi! "I don't," she repeats, groggily.
[13:28] <Akahoshi> Once again the opening to Staple Stable starts chiming from the dropped phone.
[13:28] <Laggy> "Only those with something to hide cling so much to their secure possessions. Speak the truth now. Saito Arai owes us a great deal, and we intend to collect."
[13:30] <Sakura> Information. An opportunity to deflect. "What- does father owe you?"
[13:32] <Laggy> He steps forward menacingly, and she can even feel if not hear a sneer. "Saito Arai made a deal with the devil. All wishes return to their owner. He cannot escape."
[13:33] <Laggy> Sakura is on the verge of passing out as Staple Stable echoes in her ear. Her mind tells her instinctively that she isn't going to be able to breathe much longer, or at this rate, live. Adrenaline is surging through her body. If she's to act, she must act NOW.
[13:35] <Sakura> Act. Action. Escape? Fight? Talk? No, she can't talk. She can't escape. To fight, she needs a weapon, a projectile. It's crude, but the only thing present is the plate her baguette was served on. The distance is only about thirty feet. She can hit him, then maybe answer her phone. It'll have to be enough.
[13:36] <Laggy> Everything is golden. The plate is fuzzy, almost immaterial to her. In contrast, the arm in front of her, choking her, is very real. She thinks she can grab it. It's real. Nothing else is.
[13:37] <Sakura> Her hands grope about weirdly, until they settle on the hand before her in an attempt to wrench it away. This is like falling asleep, she thinks, while staying awake.
[13:38] <Laggy> The man in front of her is a haze of surge of kaleidoscopic colors. She can even see a face. She notices an expression change as she grabs the hand, which feels firm and solid, as her fingers clench onto it and shove it away in a surge of strength.
[13:38] <Laggy> Oxygen returns. The world fades back into a gray, dark reality. The man's arm swings to the side involuntarily as he staggers back.
[13:39] <Laggy> He laughs, deep, raucous laughter in contrast to the cheery ring of Stable Staple, ringing frantically, over and over.
[13:40] <Laggy> Then he reaches out and rears back his fist - and without thinking Sakura -
[13:42] <Sakura> Reaches out for the threads she spies. Red, blue, gold, purple, green- she seizes them in both hands, and begins to try and tear them apart, with all her strength!
[13:45] <Laggy> Sakura's fingers dig into thin air to the distant observer - of which, currently, there are none - and feverishly, with almost savage strength, feels something tearing and splitting. She's greeted with her results in front of her as the man in blue's hand and wrist contorts and sprays out in a geyser of blood as his laughter turns into sudden pain and surprise.
[13:47] <Laggy> With a growl, he grips his arm and glides out into the doorway into the rain. Does Sakura pursue?
[13:49] <Sakura> The rain. It's still pouring down. Immaterial. Actually, it works for her. So many colours. So many threads! Her instincts tell her to chase the man and prevent him taking any further action above all else, so she does. He's wounded- she should be able to catch him.
[13:51] <Laggy> Sakura darts out of the cafe, Staple Stable's ringtone dimming in her departure as water starts drenching into her - which is definitely not an outfit one would wear for this kind of weather - and she promptly gets soaked to the bone as she gives pursuit to the man in blue down the alleyway.
[13:52] <Laggy> As far as she can tell, he isn't actually flying, but just drifting down the place like a ghost. Her running speed is faster than his, and she's gaining on him as he turns around, hood still encompassing his face, and she sees the colors distort as he goes around a corner at a four-way intersection.
[13:52] <Laggy> The rain is making her vision blurry as she makes it there herself. As she rounds and follows, he opens an unmarked door on the side of a building and enters, slamming it shut behind him.
[13:53] <Sakura> If she can get close enough to grasp them. If she can last long enough, in this rain and still short of breath! If she can open this door!
[13:55] <Laggy> The door isn't locked or anything. She throws it open and, peering in, is greeted again with an unilluminated room. From faint outlines and the expansive echo she gets as she opens it, she's guessing it's a parking garage of some kind.
[13:57] <Sakura> Footsteps. There should be some- no, he glides. No noises. But even in the darkness, could the colours still shine bright? She steps inside to get a better view.
[13:58] <Laggy> She doesn't see any threads of color that are readily apparent to her. Guessing that unless he could move much faster than he was going, it's likely that whatever gifted sight she has, it doesn't actually penetrate material space.
[13:59] <Laggy> In either case, she's losing valuable time, but she can't see much in here. The overhead lights appear to be off, for whatever reason.
[14:00] <Laggy> Through shadowy outlines she can make out an exit to the left that goes upstairs to other parking levels, and the garage itself just extends outward. There are very few cars here, but lots of columns and parking barricades that could provide easy cover for hiding.
[14:00] <Sakura> He's hiding. It's dangerous. If he's in a car, he could be waiting for her to pass by so he can run her over. But she already decided to find him! "Come out here," she orders, flatly. If she walks through the center of it all, she should get a good view on several angles.
[14:06] <Laggy> Sakura positions herself in the center, looking all about. Not a hint of movement or anything that catches her attention, mundane or otherwise. There's one car right next to her, but it's unoccupied. An old Toyota.
[14:07] <Laggy> She suddenly feels drowsy again. There's nothing here. It's empty again. Maybe he got away after all. There's just this old car, and no light in here at all. The door behind her is closed.
[14:08] <Sakura> He could've backed out, or just kept running. She tries to muster some energy, but it's just not there this time. She should get back to the cafe, and retrieve her phone.
[14:09] <Laggy> Her phone. Yes. She turns around, half-groping through the darkness. Consciousness threatens to leave her as her earlier adrenaline rush begins to peter out. Does she exit the same way she came in?
[14:11] <Sakura> If she takes another entrance to the parking lot, she might end up getting lost in the rain. This isn't just narcolepsy anymore, she realises. It's outright anemia. Perhaps that doctor visit will need to come sooner than she thought...
[14:12] <Laggy> She swings the door open and is greeted by the sight of a muddy shore. In the middle of night, in the middle of nowhere. Slush and water slides forth, almost but not quite reaching her feet, the massive expanse of a bay in front of her. Far off in the distance are city buildings.
[14:12] <Laggy> She knows this place.
[14:12] <Laggy> This is where she cast away her deepest secret.
[14:13] <Laggy> Dimly, some part of her tells her that this must be a dream.
[14:15] <Sakura> Of course it's a dream. The trouble is that she isn't sure when she went to sleep, or when she might wake up. Is she at home? Is she on a train? Is she in the cafe still? Somewhere else? Her fingers tighten involuntarily, curling into little fists.
[14:17] <Laggy> Turning around reveals that the parking garage and the door she came in from was gone. Some part of tells her that something is wrong. Wrong wrong wrong. She's tired, and prone to sleeping fits, but it's never this bad. Her mind still feels alert, focused, as opposed to her blurry vision and weighed body which feels like it's exhausted. There's a disconnect here. Something strange, something abnormal.
[14:18] <Laggy> There's a sparkle of something in the water. As Sakura steps over to peer into it, there's a faint, distorted reflection of her. She may be surprised to see that entire figure is, like the man in blue beforehand, a collection of nothing but rainbow colors and strands whirling about in mad symphony.
[14:20] <Sakura> Sakura's hands wrap around herself, and she stares into the water, mesmerized and shaking. She's so fragile. Threads that could just untie and fall apart at anytime. If she squeezed herself just a bit harder, she might even break.
[14:20] <Laggy> Does she?
[14:22] <Sakura> Hardly. She has a lot to live for. She backs away, slowly, as though not being able to see her true composition might make it all lie.
[14:24] <Laggy> Tokyo Bay lays out in its mundane nothingness to her. Secrets lie beneath these depths. The overhanging moon weighs down on her, as though to bear judgment. She feels trapped, isolated, entombed by everything about her.
[14:26] <Sakura> If this is a dream, and she knows it's a dream- why can't she wake up? She thinks. In a dream like this, nothing makes sense. There's one sure way to force oneself awake, though. With a sudden haste, she rushes towards the water and throws herself in!
[14:27] <Laggy> The suddenness of her actions seems like almost a surprise - when she expects cold, muddy water to splatter across her, she instead feels nothing, and abruptly her eyes snap open -
[14:28] <Laggy> She's kneeling on the floor, staring at the parking garage. All the lights are on. The Toyota's still there. The door's closed behind her. From across her vantage point, the man in blue (still minus a hand), leaning against a railing, makes a grunt. "Hmph."
[14:28] <Laggy> He takes the railing, vaults over, and disappears out of sight.
[14:29] <Sakura> She just can't go on like this, it's impossible, even for her! She shakily begins to stand up, and stumbles back to lean against the door.
[14:29] <Laggy> The door is cold, steady, and firm. It supports her weight. She feels groggy, about definitely awake.
[14:32] <Sakura> When she's energized, it's like a dream. It's only when she's tired, uncertain, and heavy that she's awake. But it's enough. It's enough if she can leave this room and get back to her phone.
[14:32] <Laggy> She feels like she can do this.
[14:33] <Laggy> Opening the door reveals the rain as unpleasant as ever, but it feels real. The cold and chill feels real. The water feels real. They pour down, an encumbrance to remind her the contrast of the very unreal events that just happened.
[14:34] <Laggy> As she drags herself back into the cafe, the waitress is there, still looking bored, fiddling with a coffee maker. She looks up at the entering soaked visitor with some disdain and steps over to the counter, holding something in her hand. Her phone. "This is yours, I think. It wouldn't stop ringing, so I shut it off."
[14:35] <Sakura> "Thanks. I have to go now," replies Sakura, dismally reaching out to take the phone and turn it back on.
[14:36] <Laggy> You have: 9 missed calls.
[14:37] <Sakura> Akahoshi. It must be Akahoshi. She has to call him and let him know she's alright. Then warn him...
[14:37] <Laggy> Does she take this call right in the cafe?
[14:39] <Sakura> She starts to leave, naturally, without another glance at the insignificant waitress.
[14:39] <Laggy> Into the rain she goes.
[14:41] <Akahoshi> That tune is going to start from the phone again.
[14:41] <Sakura> Sakura answers propmtly! "Akahoshi. Where are you right now?" she asks, unflappable.
[14:42] <Akahoshi> "Sakura!" That was a flustered sounding brother on the other end. "I'm on the train to Renko. What happened!? Are you alright? Did you fall asleep again?"
[14:44] <Sakura> "Akahoshi. Listen to me. If you haven't gone through the tunnel yet, get off that train before it. Go home. Lock the door until I get there. Do you understand?"
[14:46] <Akahoshi> "What are you babbling about? I'm better than halfway there already. It's faster to just come to you. I can get off the train and wait for you at this station but honestly ..." He must have already gone through the tunnel by then. "Are you alright? You sound spooked. Did something happen?"
[14:49] <Sakura> Sakura begins to reply, but her voice is cut off by a yawn that crackles through the phone. "Yes... something happened. Be.. careful. If you see a man in blue, avoid him. I'll see you at the station."
[14:50] <Akahoshi> "... See you soon, sis." Sounding worried to a rather great extent, he hung up.
[14:50] <Laggy> Sakura is freezing and probably in danger of catching something by the time she makes it back to the train station, bike in tow. This is not weather to be frolicking about.
[14:51] <Laggy> As the train arrives, a more substantial crowd for the midday pours out, all wearing raincoats or equipped in umbrellas.
[14:51] <Sakura> In contrast, Sakura is utterly drenched.
[14:52] <Sakura> Her short hair is lying flat thanks to the rain, and she looks utterly miserable, standing in the ground and leaning slumped against a nearby railing.
[14:53] <Akahoshi> Akahoshi was the last to depart the train, and he looked far less than thrilled. Worried about his sister plus dealing with the CROWD. Not a happy younger brother. When he caught sight of his sister, though, he was rushing right over. He had an umbrella, of course. And another, even. "Sakura!" Waving frantically. Good grief she was -drenched-.
[14:55] <Sakura> Sakura is clearly shivering through her shirt, is soaking wet, and seems barely able to open her eyes. Yet she still manages to smile when Akahoshi gets close enough that she can see him.
[14:57] <Akahoshi> Off Akahoshi's own light jacket would come as he hurried to get her under the safety of his umbrella, looking absolutely worried. "You're soaked! You're going to end up getting sick. What happened?" And he was trying to put that jacket over her shoulders.
[14:59] <Sakura> It's going to take more than a jacket to warm Sakura up- she needs to get dry, and surely get underneath some blankets to avoid getting seriously ill. "I.. Akahoshi. Not here," she replies, glancing around at all the people.
[15:15] <Akahoshi> "Alright, alright," he responded in an urgent voice as he urged her toward the platform. They were getting on the next train back, without a doubt. No way he was going to hang around here, or let her continue on to Teppo. She needed to be home, sooner rather than later.
[15:16] <Sakura> Sakura seems content to be led, and ends up on a bench, still shivering and leaning heavily into Akahoshi once she takes a seat.
[15:18] <Akahoshi> Nevermind getting himself soaked too, Akahoshi will pull his sister in and do his best to try and keep her warm. He was clearly concerned, but trying to do his best to not bring up what she didn't want to talk about at the station. "Well, at least the interview went well, right?" A meager smile.
[15:21] <Sakura> Sakura doesn't reply, and her eyes appear to have drooped fully closed.
[15:24] <Akahoshi> "... ... ..." Well he was quite used to his sister just passing out like that, so it wasn't so strange. He just sighed, and watched the schedule. Probably a good ten minutes before the train was due to come, that's when he'd start working on rousing her. Even still that was cutting it a bit close but ... he wanted to let her rest.
[15:33] <Sakura> Rousing Sakura is never a simple task, though attaining some sort of half-awake sleepwalking tends to be possible in situations like this. Getting her onto the train isn't too difficult, though she falls asleep almost immediately once she sits down again. It's bad, even for her.
[15:36] <Akahoshi> A very, very worried brother is going to do his best to tough it out. At least the hour on the train will be simple enough. Looking ever concerned, he holds keeps her up and tries his best to keep her warm for the trip back. Wordless, concerned, and all around out of sorts.
[15:43] <Laggy> The train eventually peters back its way to Fukuyi, eventless as the rain around them escalates to a full blown thunderstorm. It is with some time that they drag themselves back into their apartment, and by the time they do so it's almost evening.
[15:47] <Sakura> By the time they reach the apartment, Sakura's shivering has worsened, and while she manages to stay active long enough to get changed, she soon winds up on the couch in the lounge, ensconced in blankets. "Sorry about this," she murmurs. "Akahoshi. Don't go anywhere."

Carthrat

[13:21] <@Laggy> It was well in the evening when Sakura recovers from her post-rainstorm nap and fight for her life. The shutters are closed, the sun is down, and Akahoshi is probably still hovering about worried sick. Consciousness returns to her with a slight stir, her figure covered in blankets. She's mostly dried out save for some lingering moisture in her hair.
[13:22] <Sakura> The advantages of having short hair are countless, and surviving sudden downpours without having the added weight almost break your neck is just one of many benefits. She starts to prop herself up against the couch in an attempt to orient herself upright.
[13:24] <Gizmo> Akahoshi was puttering around in the kitchen. The rice cooker was on, and from the smell of things, very near done. He was making something simple, but it was the best his teenage self could really do.
[13:27] <Sakura> It was concerning. How should she explain things to Akahoshi? He needed to be with her as much as possible, and yet there was no way to be nearby at all times. School wouldn't allow it, and there was work to consider. Still, she had to make sure he knew that his very life could be threatened. He had to know who to run away from. "Akahoshi."
[13:29] <Gizmo> Hearing his sister's voice calling for him was enough to make Akahoshi quite litterally drop whatever it was he'd been doing. Something clattered. Didn't sound like it had broken, though. He just ran his way to the living room with eyes wide. "Sis! Are you alright? Do you feel better?"
[13:30] <Sakura> "Good enough," she replies, though her confidence is soon belied by a fierce sneeze. "Good enough to work tomorrow," she repeats, nodding.
[13:31] <Gizmo> "That's not a good idea," he replied with a shake of his head. "You need to rest. Sis ... What happened?"
[13:34] <Sakura> "I was attacked. A mage attacked me," replies Sakura, with a perfectly straight face.
[13:37] <Gizmo> "Attacked!?" Then the weird part. "Wait a what?" He shook his head. That didn't make any sis. "Did you hit your head, sis?" He sounded genuinely concerned, stepping closer with his brow furrowing.
[13:40] <Sakura> "No. I am not making up stories. It was an attack via telekinesis. That is when you create kinetic energy through force of will, and exert it remotely from your own body," she replies, sounding as though she was giving a lecture on calculus. "Akahoshi. If you see a strange man wrapped in blue, do not linger near."
[13:42] <Gizmo> "... What?" Akahoshi's jaw went slack. There were too many things about that sentence that just didn't make sense, let alone that Sakura were talking about it like it were the most normal thing in the universe. "What ... what are you ..."
[13:45] <Sakura> "It should be alright, if I'm with you," continue Sakura, relentlessly plodding along. "I can protect you. So, Akahoshi. Don't go anywhere."
[13:47] <Gizmo> Dumb stare. Akahoshi knew Sakura wasn't lying, or kidding. She just didn't do those things. So she had to be telling the truth. Instead he just reeled back, shaking his head. "Okay I think I'm the one dreaming now. This is .. It's just ... " Too much to take in at once.
[13:48] <Sakura> "Akahoshi. The rice is done." Sakura stares.
[13:49] <Gizmo> "Oh, right. Of course." The rice. It was done. That was a much better thing to think about. Let's think about the brain shattering details -later-. The very bewildered younger brother stumbled back to the kitchen.
01[13:53] <Sakura> Sakura manages to get out of bed, and heads to the bathroom in search of a towel. "It is a lot to take in. Just.. believe me, Akahoshi," she says, sounding unusually plaintive. "I don't want anything to happen to you."
[13:56] <Gizmo> "Yeah ... yeah ..." He was trying to absorb it. Mage. Telekinesis. A strange man in blue ... Out of nowhere assaulted by the strange unknown. He idly stirred the pot of miso soup. This was ... going to take adjusting.
[13:57] <Sakura> "You should come with me to work tomorrow," she continues, rubbing down her hair. "I think it will be safe there."
[14:01] <Gizmo> "I can't go with you to work every day," he replied automatically. "It's not a good habbit to have, bringing your brother with you to work."
[14:04] <Sakura> "At school it should be alright. It is crowded," she replies. "Do you have other plans for this weekend?"
[14:05] <Gizmo> "Is that a trick question?" Of course he didn't. He never had plans. He didn't -do- anything.
[14:07] <Sakura> "If you don't, then for tomorrow, you can come with me." Sakura thinks for a moment, and nods. "At least stay in Renko. I'll give you some money."
[14:08] <Gizmo> "I don't need any money," he replied with a shake of his head. "I'll just bring a couple of books and sit in a park. There's got to be one close by anyway."
[14:09] <Sakura> "Are you sure? You'll get hungry..."
[14:10] <Gizmo> "I'll be alright. I'll make a lunch, it's less expensive." Smiling a bit and being a bit ... well, awkward. "Sis ... um. Why ... was a mage attacking you?" Because it seemed important to ask these things.
[14:11] <Sakura> "Akahoshi. I don't want to lie to you. So don't ask that question."
[14:13] <Gizmo> "... Alright," he replied in a begrudging manner. He wouldn't ask, because his sister had asked. But damned if he wasn't curious. Mage ... And she acted like it wasn't a big deal. Obviously it was not strange to her. But why? Sighing, he simply finished putting together the single most bland dinner ever. "Um. Dinner's ready."

[15:32] <Gizmo> The train ride was ... well, it was a train ride. Akahoshi had been very good to keep from mentioning the whole mage thing and why it was a problem for the whole trip. Lunch was ... just as bland as dinner really. But it was lunch and it was packed for the dynamic duo!  And then ... well, Akahoshi was in the park, with a book cracked and was in the process of reading. It was the best way to pass the time while he waited for
[15:32] <Gizmo> Sakura's job to finish out.
[15:32] <Laggy> What book has Akahoshi decided to take out for this particluar occasion?
[15:33] <Gizmo> Akahoshi took the biggest book involving mages he had off his shelf. Lord of the Rings.
[15:34] <Gizmo> The entire trilogy in one really. Freaking. Big. Book.
[15:34] <Laggy> .....Akahoshi is sitting in the park, reading an extremely large volume containing J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. This amounts to well over 1500 pages. It's quite a sight.
[15:34] <Gizmo> Damn right.
[15:36] <Gizmo> Boy is he ever into it. His own little world, just reading.
[15:36] <Laggy> Seeing as it is a Saturday, the park has its share of visitors. Mostly joggers and some kids passing by. He's taken up residence at a leisurely bench next to a tree, wide and open, but there are no other occupants at the moment. On occasion he'll get a glance thrown his direction, but he's a 16 year old teenaged boy reading a book. This is actually not a horribly unusual sight, if not commonplace, either.
[15:38] <Gizmo> Of course, he's going to ignore every one of these glances. He's got a book and besides he doesn't do well with people. The book is enough, and he is happy with it. The only breaks are an occasional glance at his phone. As much a check for messages as a check for the time.
[15:42] <Laggy> Deep into the painfully detailed description of how the fellowship is going up yet another hill, he notices that there's someone standing in front of him, peering at him with a quizzical expression. Her hands are clasped against her knees.
[15:42] <Laggy> She's about roughly his age, with long, flowing red hair, dressed in attire you'd call typical - jeans, t-shirt, and a backpack with little wing accessories strapped on the shoulders which look both childish and adorable at the same time. She also has a large purple star hair ornament holding a considerable amount of her locks fitted in.
[15:45] <Gizmo> Man that was a lot of detail. Akahoshi was starting to remember why he'd never bothered to go back and read this one over again. It was during a routine phone check that he noticed the girl there. Holy crap when did she get there how long had she been there and why the heck was she -staringlikethat-!? With eyes widening slightly, he almost dropped his book. "E-er can I h-help you?"
[15:46] <Laggy> "That must be a really good book if it's got that much of your attention," she observes candidly, with a quizzical expression. She reaches over in total violation of personal space and lifts the spine of the book to see the title. "Wow, that's heavy! How many pages is that?"
[15:50] <Gizmo> "It's a c-c-classic," he responded. Well that much was true, at the very least. Oh god why was she -reachinginto his personal space-!? He liked his personal space! It was his! Inching very slightly back, he tried to smile but really it was just awfully awkward. "M-more than fifteen h-h-hundred." Just answering questions as they came.
[15:52] <Laggy> "The Lo-oo-rdu of the Rings-u," she read in stilted English, since of course the title of the book was in that. "I've never heard of it. Is it any good?"
[15:53] <Gizmo> "It's u-um. Well it's not b-b-bad." Why was she still here why was she still talking to him? Why had she come over in the first place? Noooooooo! "W-worth reading at l-least once." He was shrinking back further on the bench.
[15:56] <Laggy> "I can't imagine reading that more than once anyway," she says with the slightest of shrugs. "And I read a lot too. But I didn't think anyone actually went out to the park and read anymore. That sounds like something out of a storybook, not something that actually happens in this day and age. But you looked so engrossed, I wanted to see how long it'd take for you to notice someone here."
[15:56] <Laggy> This girl is not lacking for enthuse.
[15:58] <Gizmo> "Y-you do?" Oh hey look common interest! Reading! But then she went and started pointing out that he was strange and he was made all too aware of his awkwardness all over again. Looking properly embaressed, he just glanced away and fidgeted. "I'm w-waiting. For my s-s-sister."
[16:00] <Laggy> There's a stilted silence at that proclamation. Miss Lack of Personal Space peers forward with a concerned expression. "...how old are you?"
[16:01] <Gizmo> "... S-Sixteen," he mumbled. Good grief why was she still insisting on being so close couldn't she take a hint he was AWKWARD HERE.
[16:04] <Laggy> Akahoshi's level of awkwardness does not appear to be pinging on her concern radar. She makes a face at that and finally leans back, though, seeming off-put by that answer. "You're sixteen and you're *waiting* for your *sister* in the park? Do you have a sister complex or something?"
[16:06] <Gizmo> He totally did. "N-no!" Incredibly embaressed, he squirmed in the most uncomfortable of ways. Was there another park around here? Maybe he could make his escape and go read in peace.
[16:10] <Laggy> She sighs almost in consternation. "Well, I guess it can't be helped. It takes a special brand. But that's okay, I think I'm a pretty open-minded person. How old is *she*?"
[16:11] <Gizmo> "W-why does that m-m-m-matter?" This girl was all too many kinds of awkward. Akahoshi couldn't even begin to figure out how he was supposed to interact with her.
[16:13] <Laggy> "I'm asking! You were willing to tell me how old you are, so what difference does it make? I'm just curious." She looks a little surprised at his sudden resistance. He'd been so meek and willing to answer before...
[16:14] <Gizmo> "... ... W-why are you asking so m-m-many q-questions?" Furrowing his brow. This was weird, he was sure. Granted he didn't know a lot about proper social interaction but geeze this girl was asking way too many questions!
[16:20] <Laggy> "Am I not allowed to?" she says with some apprehension. Hands on hips. Narrowed eyes. Oh boy.
[16:20] <Gizmo> "It's ... it's w-w-weird." So says the sixteen year old with the sister complex re-reading Lord of the Rings in the park.
[16:20] <Laggy> "So I'm weird! I think you're weird, too. But that's not stopping either of us, is it?"
[16:21] <Gizmo> "... ... ..." He honestly didn't know how to respond to that. So he just. Stared.
[16:22] <Laggy> She apparently takes this as a sign of victory and flashes a grin.
[16:22] <Laggy> "So, how old is she?"
[16:22] <Gizmo> "... ... ... Seventeen," he begrudgingly answered, glancing away. Yep, victory for Miss Questions.
[16:23] <Laggy> "Ohhhhhhh." She leans back, finally giving him a bit of space, and then holds one finger to her lips in a pensive expression. "Hmm. Do you know if she's popular at school?"
[16:24] <Gizmo> "I d-d-dunno. She m-might be. She doesn't r-really talk about it m-much."
[16:25] <Laggy> "Do you go to Fukuyi High?" she asks suddenly, folding her arms over her chest.
[16:25] <Gizmo> "I'll be s-s-starting there t-this year ... why?"
[16:26] <Laggy> "I've never seen you in this park before, and I go here pretty often. So either you've just moved to Renko or you're not from the area, and Fukuyi's the nearest place with a high school of any reputable size." She grins. "Just a lucky guess."
[16:27] <Gizmo> "W-well ... that's t-t-true," he responded with a meager smile. The facts were correct. If she was a local, and he obviously wasn't. It was the most logical conclusion. "... ... ..." Still, this girl was -weird-.
[16:28] <Laggy> "Well," she murmurs, almost more to herself than anything else. "That's kind of interesting. Guess I'll see you around, then. If you actually get through that book, let me know!"
[16:28] <Laggy> She nods, her backpack's wings bouncing up in unison, and she flashes him one of those 'hee' looks with closed eyes before jogging off.
[16:29] <Gizmo> "... I already have," he mumbled as she jogged off. Weird ... girl. He hoped he'd never see her again. He was awkward enough with normal people.
[16:34] <Sakura> A boring ringtone emnates from Akahoshi's pocket, prompting several others with no-doubt identicle tones to check their phones.
[16:36] <Gizmo> Most boring tone ever. It was even the -default- tone. Fumbling the phone from his pocket, Akahoshi answered. "Sis?" Because honestly who else was going to call him.
[16:36] <Sakura> "Akahoshi. Is everything allright?"
[16:38] <Gizmo> "... I just met a really ... weird girl. She was. Friendly? I don't know. But yeah, I'm fine."
[16:38] <Sakura> "A weird girl? What did she want?"
[16:39] <Gizmo> "She was curious about my book, and how old I was since it was unusual to see anyone reading in the park anymore ... " He didn't get into the whole sister complex thing.
[16:39] <Laggy> He should. It would make for a very interesting discussion.
[16:40] <Sakura> "I see. Well, I called to tell you that if you want to look for work, you might do so around here. See if you can get a job on weekends. I don't want you to be far away from me."
[16:41] <Gizmo> "Er, alright. Yeah actually .. that's probably a good idea." A better idea than being an idle bum reading a book in the park attracting RANDOM WEIRDOS to come over and harass him.
[16:42] <Sakura> "Just remember to be polite and confident. That's what impresses interviewers."
[16:43] <Gizmo> "A-alright! I'll look around." Again, better than attracting weirdos! "... How's work going for you?"
[16:43] <Sakura> "It's fine. I think I'll like working here. I'm just watching the counter at the moment, and there aren't many customers."
[16:44] <Gizmo> "Alright." He refrained from asking if it would be okay for him to stop by and eat lunch later. HE DID NOT HAVE A SISTER COMPLEX! (Yes he does). "I'll call you if something comes up ..."
[16:45] <Sakura> "I should be on break in about half an hour, so if you want we can have lunch."
[16:45] <Gizmo> Damn. "Okay!" Double damn. "I'll see you then."
[16:45] <Sakura> "Alright." Click!
[16:47] <Gizmo> Sigh. Probably ought to start looking then. Stuffing the oversized book into his incredibly plain back pack, the younger sibling would begin his wandering to check for wanted ads stuck in windows. Killing time until -lunch-!
[16:50] <Laggy> Akahoshi... will not find too much of interest in the wanted ads stuck in windows. Renko is a pretty small place, and a lot of the shops are local stores that aren't really hiring help. Off of a whim, one does not really find employment easily, so he finds himself doing a lot of aimless wandering and getting to know the area better. Inadvertenedly, he even stumbles upon Sakura's store during his walking - a tidy, cluttered clockwork workshop.
[16:51] <Laggy> He thankfully does not run into the super-inquisitive-weird-personal-space-violating red-haired girl.

Carthrat

[16:55] <Sakura> Sakura's break comes about, as promised, and after a quick phone call she decides they should have their meals at the nearby park, just near the children's playground. "How did your hunt for work go?" she asks, unpacking her meal on a wooden table.
[16:57] <Akahoshi> "Well, I couldn't find any 'help wanted' ads in the windows of any of the nearby shops ..." Admitted the younger slibling as he took out his own lunch. "I didn't want to go much further than a ten minute walk, either. Probably ... too far away, after that."
[16:58] <Sakura> "It shouldn't be too far, but it's not good for you to be idle here all day," replies Sakura, sighing. "What about fast food places? They're always looking for people, I think. They have a high turnover rate."
[17:03] <Akahoshi> "I guess I can try looking a bit further ... and there might be places like that near the station, so at least it's on the route back home." Akahoshi looked thoughtful as he pulled the top from his lunch. So very simple, just as the previous night's dinner had been. Well, it wasn't like he was a master chef or anything. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't exceptional. "They have a high turnover rate for a reason, sis."
[17:05] <Sakura> Sakura blinks. "Well, yes... but hopefully, you would not need it for long," she responds. "It might be best. It would trouble me if more strange people showed up."
[17:08] <Akahoshi> Akahoshi sighed. "I'll look around a bit more after lunch, then." Fast food. Ick! "... Apparently Renko is the place for weird people." Sigh. "That girl ... she was way too perky." And way too ignorant of personal space as far as he was concerned.
[17:09] <Sakura> "If she bothers you again, call me. I can have a word with her." Sakura's face flashes black for a moment, and a hairline crack appears on one of her chopsticks.
[17:11] <Akahoshi> "... Er, sis, she wasn't ... I mean. I'm pretty sure she was actually normal for a teenager I just. I er. Well you know how I am with people ..." Coughing lightly and looking appropriately embarassed.
[17:12] <Sakura> "If she's bothering you, she's bothering you," replies Sakura, starting to eat some rice. "It can't be helped by you, but she should be more considerate."
[17:14] <Akahoshi> "Y-yeah, I guess you have a point." Still embarassed and possibly a touch ashamed for his introvert ways, Akahoshi's attention turned down to his lunch, which he started nibbling on. "How is the new job? Do you like it?"
[17:15] <Sakura> "It's not bad, actually. The owners are pleasant enough, and there isn't much to do besides watch the counter," replies Sakura, perking up a little. "They want me to do deliveries after school, during the week."
[17:17] <Akahoshi> "Oh? Well that's good." Smiling a bit and feeling much more at ease after changing the subject. "It sounds like a pretty fair job, really."
[17:20] <Sakura> "I don't mind it. They have a lot of clocks," replies Sakura. "The old lady might teach me a bit about how they work, too. There's still two years left of school to go, and if I can carry it up until university, supporting ourselves won't be impossible."
[17:21] <Akahoshi> "You do like clocks," pointed out the younger sibling with a light chuckle. "Well it's good she's willing to help you out!" Then, Akahoshi paused. "Well, mom and dad shouldn't be gone -that- long."
[17:24] <Sakura> "Not that long? At least a year, Akahoshi." She shrugs. "Even when they come back, it's about time we think about getting by without their help."
[17:25] <Akahoshi> "At ... least? Trips like that don't usually last any more than a year, though. And I mean. Won't they be coming back at least to visit on some holidays?" Not that he honestly cared all that much about wether or not they were around, it was more the financial concerns that caught his attention. "... Well, yeah. I mean. I guess."
[17:29] <Sakura> "They didn't say, and you know how they are," replies Sakura, frowning.
[17:33] <Akahoshi> The sigh that Akahoshi let out was heavy. Yeah, he knew how they were. "Geeze I thought they'd at least tell -you- more details." Mumbling a bit as he just prodded his lunch around a bit.
[17:34] <Sakura> "To be honest, I don't even want to hear from them," replies Sakura. "I'm glad we have a year that's just us."
[17:35] <Akahoshi> "R-really?" He couldn't help but look up at that, honestly a bit startled to hear those words from his sister.
[17:36] <Sakura> "Yes."
[17:37] <Sakura> Sakura appears as composed as ever, and she's neatly polishing off the last of her vegetables.
[17:38] <Akahoshi> "Oh ..." And with how much their parents seemed to dote on Sakura, he was a bit surprised. Huh. Well. Shaking his head, he simply picked away at his lunch. "Well, I guess it won't be so bad."
[17:38] <Sakura> Sakura's eyebrow twitches. "You thought it would be bad?"
[17:39] <Akahoshi> "I don't know. I mean. I guess it won't be all that much different from how it usually is."
[17:40] <Sakura> "Of course things will be different," replies Sakura, eyeing Akahoshi. "Akahoshi, you'll be in senior school. Time hasn't stopped."
[17:42] <Akahoshi> "Well, yeah. I mean school is going to change but that's pretty much it," he pointed out with a light shrug.
[17:43] <Sakura> Sakura shakes her head. "Sometimes, I'm jealous of how laid back you get to be."
[17:45] <Akahoshi> "...Er." Coughing a bit, he closed up his now empty lunch box and packed it away again. "Well, yeah. But I am going to try harder this year." Cause his sister had asked him to. So. He would.
[17:58] <Sakura> "Good, good. When you think things through, the results of your actions are obvious," muses Sakura, packing hers away in unison. "What's sensible becomes clear."
[18:03] <Akahoshi> "Heh. Well, when you put it that way." There was a smile on the younger sibling's features as he stood up. "You probably should get back to work, and I should probably look into the places on the way back to the station. At the worst, it's a nice walk."
[18:04] <Sakura> "Ah, yes, you're right." Sakura quickly checks her watch (today she used a digital, with it's own alarm), and nods. "Come by at five, when it's time to go."
[18:05] <Akahoshi> "I'll be there right at five!"

Carthrat

[22:37] <@Laggy> Snow. Falling. Flakes in the sky lay adrift, dancing to their own hazy tune. Fukuyi was a gentle layer of soft, almost scenic-perfect snowfall during the winter, and Akahoshi is, on a momentous and rare occasion, actually outside to catch it. He sees them gliding downwards, a sky perfectly cloudless and full of nothing but gentle white slowly fluttering to make their flight and become part of something much larger -
[22:38] <@Laggy> the blanket of soft, yet crisp snow that he's currently makign small footprints in. He's only 10, after all. What's a ten year old boy to do, walking alone and unescorted after being stood up from trying to visit a friend, huddled, cold, with just barely enough clothing to not freeze out there, making his way back home after he had snuck out to dare such a thing in the first place?
[22:39] <@Laggy> Sakura was out of town. Normally he would have asked, or at least consulted, but in this case he was so desperately craved for company that he actually went out of the house unsupervised. His parents were always busy, always arguing, always on the phone, had just the presence of mind to make sure he didn't go to bed with a completely flat stomach.
[22:40] <@Laggy> And so, he slowly made his walk back. Footprints. Nothing was around him, just the gentle freefall of petals dancing downward to the earth. The neighborhood was quiet, and of course empty as no one was foolish enough to walk out in what could easily become a snowstorm given the right conditions. It was quiet. Still. And yet very beautiful in his own way, that he might have been able to appreciate, were he not feeling so downcast.
[22:45] <Gizmo> Cold ... he should have tried to bring a bigger sweater or a coat or something, but he hadn't really expected it to be as cold as it actually looked outside. And then he -really- hadn't expected to be just stood up like that. It just made him all that much more aware of how utterly alone he was without his sister. What a misserable existance he had. Nothing he did seemed to catch the attention of his parents, and he hadn't
[22:45] <Gizmo> the slightest idea how to approach the others at school. He'd finally arranged something and of course, it had fallen through. He should have known better. Arms were crossed as he rubbed at his arms, trying to find something, anything, that would help to keep him warmer. For a moment he paused in his steps, looking up at the sky. It was, though, awfully pretty. There was even a certain charm to watching his breath steam in
[22:45] <Gizmo> the air. Then the cold was remembered, and he turned back to his path. Through the snow, toward the house. Idly he wondered if he should go through the front door just to see if they would notice.
[22:48] <@Laggy> The house was nowhere in sight. He abruptly realized that, walking in the snow that had not been there when he had haphazardly departed earlier, made it somewhat hard to even recognize where he was. After all, it was so very rarely that he ventured out at all, let alone deviate from anything aside from a designated route that (usually) Sakura would take him through.
[22:48] <@Laggy> So he was lost. He turned around, and the maze of apartment complexes, alleyways, and unhelpful street signs loomed above. They were all quite taller than him. But, for some reason, the thought of being lost didn't seem to bother him that much. It wasn't that much of a home, after all. He would have to get back eventually, but walking out here... was a freedom, albeit a sad one, that he had yet to experience on any regular
[22:48] <@Laggy> frequency.
[22:50] <@Laggy> Abruptly, he felt a presence behind him.
[22:52] <Gizmo> It was kind of strange. He really should have been more concerned with the fact that he was lost. He should have gotten scaired, probably should have paniced. Probably should have started crying. A normal ten year old boy would do those things when he got lost, right? But ... it really was kind of refreshing to be out. Away from that place. The only thing that made it feel even slightly like a home was Sakura and she wasn't
[22:52] <Gizmo> even there right now. The only thing that made him think that going back 'home' may be a good idea was the knowledge that there was warmth there. He was pondering this when the presence appeared, and he turned with a slight start. "Eh?"
[22:53] <@Laggy> A girl, with big brown eyes, and strong red hair - short, cut in a somewhat boyish style, contrasting sharply with the gray and white of the night - and roughly his age was peering at him. She was blinking on occasion, and was actually dressed for the occasion, with large boots and a woolen sweater, though she didn't bother with a hat or hood. She also had a school backpack slung on her back with metallic wings sticking out
[22:53] <@Laggy> on the sides. She seemed to be just peering at him.
[22:53] <@Laggy> Stare. Stare. ... "Are you lost?"
[22:59] <Gizmo> "... I g-guess so," came his slightly stammered reply. Even as a child he'd been awkward. Perhaps not as terribly so as he was older, but ... it was still there. He was by no means a talkative child. "... Well. Yeah. I am."
[23:01] <@Laggy> She seemed to simply nod, and her smile was bright, so bright that it practically lit up her face. She seemed to have a boundless amount of energy that practically bled from every movement she had, but it wasn't unfocused. This girl had a purpose and a direction, and she stuck out her hand. "C'mon. Follow me. I'll take you home."
[23:05] <Gizmo> The young Akahoshi blinked at the strange and bouncy girl. She was everything he wasn't. Bright and cheerful and with some kind of direction. He was ... not that. He had no purpose, he had no direction. Lost in more ways than one but a boy of ten hardly understood these things. "Right ... now?" He almost sounded disapointed at the idea. After all, it wasn't much of a 'home'.
[23:05] <@Laggy> "Well, don't you want to go home?" she said, sounding a bit surprised as she appraised him.
[23:07] <Gizmo> "It's um ... well. Not r-really. Not right now ..." He blinked, glancing off to the side and continuing to rub his arms. "It's not very fun."
[23:08] <@Laggy> "Aw, well." The girl seems genuinely flummoxed by this. She puts her hands on her hips and stares off to the side for a moment, as though vexed by the very possibility of the situation occurring in front of her. "Well... that's okay!" She seems to come to a decision point and smiles again. "What is it that you want help with, then?"
[23:12] <Gizmo> Regardless, Akahoshi was still shivering. Hands rubbing his arms, but he didn't seem to mind it as much as he should have. "Help ... er ..." He tilted his head slightly, looking a bit confused at the idea. "I don't k-know what you really ... mean." And he didn't. Or maybe he just didn't know what he wanted help with.
[23:19] <@Laggy> "I mean just that! What's troubling you right now? You seem lost, and you don't seem very happy." She shook her head. "That means you need some help, and I want to help." She stepped forward for a moment, and took his hands with her gloved ones, wincing. "Wow, you're freezing... you must be really cold in that."
[23:21] <Gizmo> Ah! Invading his personal space and even taking his hands! The young Akahoshi couldn't help but blush a bit, awkward thing that he was. "A-ah. Well ... um ... I g-guess ..." He looked off to the side. "My p-parents ...." Then he was just mumbling.
[23:22] <@Laggy> She made a kind of pouty face at that. "Well, I'm not sure I can help with that. Grown-ups are a different matter. But ... come on, there has to be something I can do for you, right? I got told to come here and all..." She tilts her head, her eyes practically pleading him to give her SOMETHING.
[23:24] <Gizmo> "U-um ..." Well damn if she couldn't help with that. He thought for a while. Was there anything else he needed help with? School? No he was good with school. He glanced back toward her, then blinked. "Can you be my friend?" He blurted quite suddenly.
[23:27] <@Laggy> She stared at him blankly for a moment, as though she hadn't comprehended what he said. Then she blinked, and blinked again, and... "Sure!" She looked confused for a moment though. "Is it really that easy, though? We're friends, and I've helped you?" She looks at him down again. Her look is so sincere, the sincerity only a child can have. Being a child himself, he may not have recognized just how honest that look was.
[18:30] <Gizmo> There was a furious nod of his head. "Yeah. That's ... um. Yeah. S-so we're friends now, right?" This seemed like a very important thing to him. He wasn't even looking away. It was kind of exciting and nerve wrecking at the same time for the poor awkward kid, especially after suffering the sting of a sour friendship.
[18:31] <@Laggy> "Yeah!" She smiles again, closes her eyes in a seemingly content expression, almost accomplished. "We are. What's your name?"
[18:35] <Gizmo> "Arai Akahoshi," he replied in a manner that was almost automatic. It was, after all, just the way that one introduced one's self when asked. "W-what's your name?"
[18:35] <@Laggy> "It's..." Her lips moved, and the snow seemed to become a blanket of mist for a moment. Her face, perfectly preserved in that still moment. And then with a sudden woosh as the night became dark and non-discrete, blurring into--
[18:36] <@Laggy> Akahoshi's eyes snap open as the alarm next to his bedstand goes off. Unlike his sibling, he only needs one to start him awake, whereas Sakura has a practical digital army ready to stir her from hibernation.
[18:36] <@Laggy> It's the first day of school.
[18:36] <@Laggy> He abruptly realizes this in his now conscious-kicked head as details come to focus.
[18:39] <Gizmo> Ugh, alarm ... Wearily he sat up after snapping a hand down on top of the annoying thing. Time to get out of bed and prepare their oh so plain breakfast. And yet he couldn't help but feel he'd just been dreaming about something important. The details of it were already starting to slip away. Something about ... snow? Maybe.
[18:40] <@Laggy> Something. Akahoshi didn't dream often, so he often chalked it up to not remembering most of them. That this one even stood out was of some note.
[18:42] <@Laggy> It would probably be a good idea to try to get his sister awake. She had a bad track record of this, especially on something as vital as the first day of school. They'd be attending the same one, this year, unlike last!

Carthrat

[20:36] <Gizmo> Huh. Well, it wasn't anything to worry about. Dreams were just that. Dreams. Whatever lingering feeling of importance had been there would fade away quickly enough as the younger sibling shifted out of his bed. Yeah, it proably was a good idea to go and make sure that Sakura was awake. She was absolutely terrible at the whole 'getting up' business, after all. So Akahoshi made his way toward his elder sibling's room, first
[20:36] <Gizmo> knocking on the door in spite of knowing how useless it was. He was fairly certain he heard something on the other side ... but it was probably one--or several--of her alarms going off.
[20:39] <Laggy> Knock knock knock! Indeed, the inside of Sakura's room was a steady cacophony of noise as alarms rang off in succession.
01[20:40] <Sakura> It is an orchestra that never fails to unnerve the first-time listener, of which there have been thankfully few. Sakura never leaves her door locked, well aware of her potentially fatal shortcomings when it comes to returning to the land of the wakeful.
[20:43] <Gizmo> Ah well. He was fairly used to her not answering the door when he knocked. Shrugging his shoulders, Akahoshi simply pushed open the door and waltzed in. A lesser being might have been blown back by the suddenly increased volume of the number. Or at least, one less used to it. As he made his way toward the bed, he turned off the alarms in his path. Once he had finally arrived he gave not a gentle nudge but a full fledged
[20:43] <Gizmo> 'WAKE UP NOW!' sort of shake. "Sis, it's time to get up! It's the first day of school!"
01[20:47] <Sakura> Physical contact tends to have a better effect on rousing Sakura than the alarms alone, though it is never a sudden, snap-awake sort of moment. Her eyes blearly pull themselves open, staring dimly towards her roof. "School? Oh..."
[20:49] <Laggy> A cursory glance at the clock reveals that it is very nearly eight o' clock. Taking into account commute time, you're already starting to look at possible tardiness if you don't haul ass on the way out, and breakfast is basically a lost cause.
[20:50] <Gizmo> "C'mon sleepy head. We're gonna be late if you don't get out of bed now!" Because it was a heck of a lot faster to verbalize than to wait for her thoughts to catch up with her, as far as she was concerned.
01[20:52] <Sakura> Rushing is impossible. Being late, unfortunately, is something Sakura is already widely known for. She begins to sit up, nodding slowly at Akahoshi and pulling herself to her feet. "Okay..." she murmurs, swaying slighty.
[20:55] <Laggy> RING RING RING RING the alarms have still not been shut up, and thus, may be making Akahoshi's pleas and urges a bit more muted. Who knows if Sakura could hear all that racket in her current semi-comatose state, anyway.
01[20:56] <Sakura> The sound of Akahoshi's voice easily pierces the clamour of the clocks. Nonetheless, she begins a circuit of her room, slowly, so slowly, turning each alarm off.
[20:57] <Gizmo> Akahoshi let out a light sigh as he made his way from her room. "I'll be back in five minutes if you haven't come out by then." At least he could put some bread in for toast before they went. It would take her at least that long to get out, he was pretty sure.
[20:59] <Laggy> Akahoshi may not be a fine cook, but he could certainly make toast without burning it. It was a learned skill. There's even some other stuff in the fridge - Sakura must have made a grocery trip sometime recently.
01[21:00] <Sakura> Demonstratable optimistic in the time it takes a teenage girl to get ready for anything, Sakura does not emerge from her bedroom in time for toast.
[21:02] <Gizmo> Sigh. So five minutes were up and Akahoshi knocked on the door. "Sis! C'mon we can probably still at least make it into the classroom -as- the bell rings if we go like. Now!"
01[21:04] <Sakura> The door swings slightly ajar at Akahoshi's knock, revealing Sakura still in the process of buttoning up her shirt. "I'm getting ready. It will be alright. I know a shortcut," she confides, fumbling for a moment.
[21:06] <Gizmo> "Well I suppose if you say so ..." Akahoshi was, of course, skeptical. Then again, she'd already spent time at the school. She'd had time to figure out if there were shortcuts and where they'd be. So the younger sibling retreatd back to make sure that everything else was in order. He even put jam on the toast.
01[21:10] <Sakura> It somehow takes Sakura double Akahoshi's anticipated time to finally emerge from her room. Save for her hair, which retains it's eternal bedhead, she seems as neat as it's possible for a senior to be. "You should be okay. The orientation ceremony starts a little later than normal classes," she states, reaching to pick up a slice of toast to eat on the way out.
[21:12] <Gizmo> Akahoshi had already eaten his, given the amount of time it had taken her to get out. "Still ... " He was more concerned for his sister, of course. "C'mon then." To the door where he would pick up his bag and slip on his shoes.
[21:13] <Laggy> Outside, the scenery is depressingly gloomy. It isn't actually raining, but it looks like it sure could be at any moment. None of that cheery golden autumn hue, only concrete and gray clouds and people huddled in raincoats with the occasional umbrella.
01[21:15] <Sakura> This time, Sakura brings along her own umbrella, opting to learn from her errors! The scenery puts her in an instantly bad mood nonetheless, and she begins to hurry to school, taking a route that goes through a local shopping arcade, as well as the park. "Did you remember everything?" she feels compelled to ask, glancing back towards Akahoshi. "Textbooks? Stationary?"
[21:17] <Gizmo> Akahoshi, of course, had an umbrella of his own. He didn't mind the weather so much, it really was just another day regardless of how it was outside. "Yeah, I packed it all last night. Checked it three times before I put it by the door." What a curious route. Well, as long as it worked.
[21:21] <Laggy> The roads are conspicuously absent of other young people such of themselves who could possibly be headed for their first day of school. It seems that the Arai siblings' concern for timing on the first day of school, or lack thereof, is not shared by the general locals as a whole. Hayako High School (Fukuyi was too small to warrant its own public school system, and such they went to this one) was
[21:21] <Laggy> but a few minutes off... by bike. Unfortunately, Akahoshi didn't have a bike, and as such, Sakura found herself noticing that even with her shortcut it wouldn't really feasible to make it there on time unless they went into a full blown sprint.
01[21:24] <Sakura> Sakura takes note of overhead clocks in the district, and sighs. If that's the way it is, the only thing to do to ensure Akahoshi will get there on time... is flag down a passing taxi.
[21:25] <Laggy> ....
[21:25] <Laggy> Sakura is going to hail a cab?
[21:25] <Gizmo> "W-woah sis, wait what are y--" Wow was she really ... going to ...
[21:25] <Laggy> Yeah. She's totally giving the signal for one.
01[21:26] <Sakura> Sakura certainly isn't lacking in funds, and while taxis in Japan are certainly costly...
[21:26] <Gizmo> "Geeze sis! It's okay to be a -little- late." Yeah on the first day and everything. Akahoshi -really- was going to try harder this year. Really.
[21:27] <Laggy> Too late. One's already pulled up because business is really slow at this time of the day and catching a bunch of high schoolers is apparently something that this particular taxi driver won't pass up. He pulls in next to the sidewalk.
01[21:29] <Sakura> "No, it's my fault you'd be late, and I want you starting here on a good note," insists Sakura, heading for the backseat. "Get in." My, does she sound crabby this afternoon.
[21:30] <Laggy> Akahoshi is apparently going to ride shotgun! The taxi driver, a middle aged man in his late thirties, takes a cigarette out of his mouth and thumbs it out before speaking up in an accented tone, "Where to, miss?"
[21:31] <Gizmo> Right then. Sighing, Akahoshi indeed just dropped into the front seat and let his sister do exactly what she wanted. Great. They were trying to save money and here Sakura was, spending it for his sake. He -really- needed to get a job or something.
01[21:31] <Sakura> "Hayako High," replies Sakura, checking the time. Well, by car, it's practically no time at all...
[21:32] <Laggy> It's SOME time, but assuming no traffic - and there plain as day wasn't any - they'd be there in literally five minutes.
[21:35] <Laggy> The driver didn't seem to really care, in any case. He did have a bit of a surprised look on his face - maybe he assumed kids who could pay for taxi fare could go to schools better than the public one - but he didn't press it. Gunning the engine, they're off and driving in relative silence, away from the cold fall air, passing the occasional pedestrian.
01[21:38] <Sakura> Unusually restless for so early in the morning, Sakura spends the trip glancing out the side window, always on the lookout for mysterious passers-by. "Did you pack lunch?" she asks, suddenly.
[21:41] <Gizmo> "Of course," he replied. "The leftovers from dinner. I put one in your bag, too." Akahoshi glanced back over the seat. "It's less expensive than buying one, and going without isn't good."
01[21:42] <Sakura> "Thanks. I forgot, again. And we wouldn't want to spend on cafeteria food every day; it's both expensive and unsatisfying."
[21:44] <Laggy> In a particularly grand fashion, Sakura and Akahoshi are both deposited ceremoniously in front of Hayako High's gates. There's a few stragglers also coming in - while they've got some comfortable minutes before the bell goes, most people have decided to show up earlier. They do get some odd gazes as they get out of the cab.4
[21:45] <Laggy> Having gone through this before, Sakura knows where Akahoshi needs to go! Assembly room for orientation! On the other hand, her first class is naturally on the second story. Hayako's a fairly modestly sized campus, consisting of two buildings with two stories each, an assembly hall, a gym with a track outside of it, and some supply sheds.
01[21:47] <Sakura> It's just a cab. Sometimes you need to catch one! "I'll take you to the assembly room?" she offers, and it sounds like an offer for once, not a command.
[21:49] <Gizmo> "That's alright sis. I think I can figure it out from here. You should get to your class before you're late yourself." Akahoshi smiled. How awkward, stepping out of a cab. Already off on the wrong foot if he cared to try and interact with anyone. He didn't really, though. Being better in school did not mean he had to try and make friends or anything awkward like that.
[21:50] <Laggy> Yeah geez who needs friends anyway. SOCIAL people who knew how to TALK and didn't let their SISTER basically direct their LIVES. They probably had actual PARENTS who weren't on the other side of the ocean, not that their location had really changed much in all brutal honesty anyway.
01[21:51] <Sakura> Sakura blinks. "Ok. I'll meet you at the g- oh, you may be asked to join a club," she notes. "I guess I'll see you at home."
[21:51] <Laggy> Akahoshi can quite easily depart to the assembly hall, which is a pretty obvious building and some freshmen-looking types are angling that way. And there's also a big banner sign that proclaims happily "ORIENTATION FOR NEW STUDENTS HERE" that's up as well.
01[21:51] <Sakura> "Do your best, Akahoshi!" With a blink-and-you'll-miss it smile, Sakura turns and dashes off!
[21:52] <Gizmo> Right. Well that settled that. Clubs? Pft, just another form of socialization. No thanks! The only club he needed was the 'going home' club.
[21:53] <Laggy> Yeah I mean he was already part of the wake-up-big-sis club. That was practically more work than most club activities as is.

Carthrat

[21:55] <Laggy> Akahoshi enters the assembly hall and is greeted by many, many people crammed in here sitting in fold-up chairs that have brought in. He is under the unfortunate dilemma of practically finding no room at all that doesn't require him to squeeze into the crowd of people and find a spare seat.
[21:59] <Gizmo> Ugh. Well at least these sorts of situations were uncommon. Pressing his lips to a thin line, the awkward teenager would indeed squeeze his way past the crowds to try aind find the closest of the empty seats so as to minimize his need to move through the crowd.
[22:00] <Laggy> It wasn't all that bad. Most people paid him no attention and he found himself crammed between a sour-looking boy who seemed more interested in his cell phone than any of the proceedings, and a young girl with chestnut hair that went down to her waist, had her arms folded, and seemed to be half-daydreaming.
[22:01] <Laggy> Everyone, of course, was in school uniform.
[22:01] <Laggy> Including Akahoshi. Right?
[22:01] <Laggy> He totally remembered, right?
[22:01] <Gizmo> Of course! Geeze.
[22:05] <Gizmo> His uniform is a very important part of his new school life. Can't very well put a good impression on the teachers without the uniform. It would put a serious damper on the 'do better in school' motto he was trying to follow.
[22:08] <Laggy> Akahoshi sits down! A minute later, the assembly chatter and small talk grinds to a halt as the principal of the school appears and starts delivering his speech. It's quite predictable and goes along the lines of welcoming all you fine young folk to high school, that your decision to attend here speaks well of your character, that you'll find the finest preparation for you to go into work or
[22:09] <Laggy> university if that's your path, blah blah, this will be a defining part of your life, drone on... he's not a terrible speaker, but it's all stuff that's completely predictable. The man has no imagination.
[22:15] <Gizmo> Was it just that they sent the same speach to every high school and the principal just ... read it? Changing only the most minute of details? Honestly that's what this guy made it sound like. Akahoshi was not surprised that there were folks who were ... totally sleeping. And only a token few who were actually paying attention. Akahoshi, honestly, wasn't one of them. He was more or less just staring off into nothing bored out
[22:15] <Gizmo> of his mind.
[22:18] <Laggy> A whole hour passes of this nonsense, though the latter half is punctuated by paperwork being handed out, orientation materials, forms to fill out, some equally uninspiring addresses from other teachers, etc. It helps to break out the tedium somewhat, but is still pretty boring. Until the last round of speakers finishes, Akahoshi notices something that catches his eye.
[22:19] <Laggy> The next man on stage is dressed - practically overdressed. We're not talking business suit here, I mean we're talking about full frills dress shirt, a bright red outfit that's practically a costume, and an outrageous top hat, along with a cane. In fact, the rest of the faculty seems visibly shocked when he steps out to speak.
[22:22] <Laggy> When he speaks, his voice has a melodious tone to it that immediately captures everyone's attention, an energy and life to it that none of the speakers even had a spark of. "Hello, everyone! My name is Aaron, and I've just come to Hayako High recently as your director. I know you have all been impossibly bored out of your skulls thus far, so I'm going to try to keep this simple for you!"
[22:22] <Gizmo> Bleah, forms. Well it sure gives him something to do between the dull talks. They were, of course, filled accordingly. Idly he wondered how many times Sakura must have dozed off during -her- orientation. That thought was broken up rather quickly, though, by the strange man that came up and quite clearly announced their boredom. He just -stared-. Woah what?
[22:23] <Laggy> "I have been sent by the Ministry of Education to assume this role at Hayako High because we have heard such wonderful things about the students graduating from here. Did you know that we have an 80% employment rate upon completion? In this area, Hayako distinguishes itself from all the other schools even though we have no special academic track records or extracurricular activities!"
[22:24] <Laggy> "That's a mystery! And me," he says with a smile that lights up the whole stage, "I LOVE mysteries. And so it happens, I love kids, too. So I'm here to find out what about Hayako's students make them so extraordinary - and get the school the recognition and support it deserves. I want to thank Mister..."
[22:25] <Laggy> The rest is predictable fare, as he showers praise upon the current staff, who are all still in a state of half-shock from the appearance of this man, as though it was the last thing they expected, but in dutiful Japanese manner they take it gratefully and move on. There are whispers now, though. This guy clearly is a foreigner. The heck?
[22:27] <Gizmo> If this wasn't possibly the most bizzare thing he'd personally experienced in his school life ... Akahoshi stared for a bit longer before he shook his head and leaned back. Wow. Just. That was ... well to be frank he was glad he wasn't one of the teachers.
[22:30] <Laggy> There is definitely some muted and not-so-muted discussion going on with the students now, jarring those who had not been really paying attention awake, about this new strange director of the school and his fashion sense and the fact that he spoke Japanese really well and his diction was perfect. Guesses were made to his ethnic background, some of which were grossly inaccurate, but who was keeping track?
[22:31] <Laggy> Before long, the assembly is adjourned, and Akahoshi is off to his first class, which is on the second floor! Of the other building, rather than the one Sakura is in unfortunately, but he didn't know that.
[22:33] <Gizmo> Oh hey! That's not so bad. Maybe he'd have a chance to see his sister if they were both on the same floor! Poor Akahoshi, so unaware of the truth. He would be disapointed soon enough, surely. All the same he was off to his school building, to enter his first classroom and start his very first day of high school. Just ... he'd have to remember the motto he was holding onto. Try to do better. He could do it, probably.
[22:35] <Laggy> Let's think positive!
[22:36] <Gizmo> He could do it, totally!
[22:36] <Laggy> Arahoshi walks into the classroom. Of course he recognizes all of zero people in here. It's just his luck, since the middle school was actually considerably larger than Hayako High and a good number of people there transferred to other high schools that were closer to their homes than his. Not that he had a lot of (okay, he didn't have any, period) close friends, but yep. Not even a face he'd recognize.
[22:36] <Laggy> Wait.
[22:36] <Laggy> There was one.
[22:37] <Gizmo> ... Ah crap.
[22:38] <Laggy> There is, in fact, a familiar redhead with a large purple star ornament in her hair with a backpack with metallic angel wings and with a very bouncy and energetic demeanor and a big smile.
[22:38] <Laggy> She doesn't seem to have noticed him. YET.
[22:39] <Gizmo> Right just ignore her. Sure -she- stood out but he's good at staying invisible. So with that in mind he's going to ignore the hell out of the weird girl and ... find some corner of the classroom to hide in until the teacher showed up and assigned their seats.
[22:42] <Laggy> Akahoshi dutifully hides the heck away from crazygirl with her crazy ways until the teacher... ... ... who is a drop-dead gorgeous woman with glasses, a figure that belonged in a modeling magazine and couldn't be older than 28, walks in - properly dressed, mind you, but hot damn she looked good - with a clipboard, a pen in her mouth and a highly analytical look as she looked at the class.
[22:42] <Laggy> She has the full attention of all the males in the room and most of the females as well.
[22:42] <Laggy> Except maybe Akahoshi. Does Akahoshi only have eyes for onee-chan?
[22:44] <Gizmo> Akahoshi is a perfectly healthy teenage boy. He might not be drooling like some of the others, but the teacher has caught his attention and he can't help but stare. For a bit. Before he looks away. Yeah she's damn gorgeous but she's a teacher. Some might go for that 'forbidden fruit' thing but it just wasn't for him.
[22:44] <Laggy> Ha. Ha. Ha.
[22:44] <Laggy> Yeah it's not like Akahoshi has a complex about taboo things or anything.
[22:44] <Gizmo> Nope. Not at all.
[22:50] <Laggy> For what it's worth, the teacher - Ms. Minako - seems pretty familiar in her role and is about as professional as they come. She takes a stand behind her desk, plucks out the pen and calmly calls for the class to all sit down and be orderly assembled. She carries a faint smile that comes off very well in making her look like a pleasant person to get along with.
[22:52] <Gizmo> Well, at least it looked like this class was going to be a pleasant one. Akahoshi nodded his head as he took a seat, and back he would settle. Time to get started on that whole 'do better in school' thing.
[22:54] <Laggy> Yeah! Akahoshi sits down. Roll call begins. Out of the corner of his eye he realizes that Miss Super Nosy who ran into him at the park seems to have finally noticed that he's here, and is giving him an eyeful! But she's all the way on the OTHER side of the classroom where she can't possibly embarrass him. Ha ha!
[22:54] <Laggy> Her name's Makoto, by the way, a fact he learns as the ilst of students is called out.
[22:56] <Gizmo> A fact he, (un)fortunately will not forget. He's got such a good memory for names and faces, after all. So while she seems to be trying to catch his attention with her eyes, he is entirely ignoring her. Which is much easier to do now that class is starting.
[23:01] <Laggy> Yep. Class is starting. Whatever her image and high class appearance may dictate, Minako is actually a very thorough and keen teacher, her diction crisp and her initial lecture to the point. After getting pretty much an overview of what to expect and a considerable amount of work (and homework) being promised, she pauses and lets the class do a little get-together for five minutes.
[23:02] <Laggy> At this point Akahoshi is, in classic fashion, ignored by everyone around him because they turn to other classmates who look more interesting and chat it up with them.
[23:03] <Gizmo> Which is fine by him! He's brought a book specefically for moments like this. And so that's exactly what he did. Out with the book--The first Harry Potter volume this time--and he was reading.
[23:06] <Laggy> Through his tingling anti-social powers he feels a disturbance in the force as some whirlwind of bubbly energy approaches!
[23:06] <Laggy> But not to him. Makoto is in fact, addressing the student who's sitting right *next* to him.
[23:07] <Laggy> "Yeah, Akahoshi and I are really good friends! So could I? Please?" -- he wasn't paying full attention and just got the last snippet of the conversation there.
[23:08] <Laggy> The boy, who seems like a shy type with large horn-rimmed glasses, seems flustered at so much bounciness in his general direction and seems to just smile awkwardly (man, Akahoshi could totally sympathize) and nod, standing up from his seat. Uh oh. Wait, does that mean....
[23:08] <Gizmo> Woah wait just a tick was that girl actually calling him by his -first name-!? That was enough to cause him to glance up. Just in time to see the boy standing up and ... oh no. Oh -no-.
[23:09] <Laggy> Makoto plops down at her newly acquired seat and flashes a big grin at him.
[23:11] <Gizmo> ... Wow. Just. She really didn't know the meaning of personal space. It was a marvel.
[23:11] <Laggy> "Kind of a surprise to see you here but guess not! Isn't it pretty cool we're in the same class?"
[23:12] <Laggy> Well she's not up IN HIS FACE READIN' HIS BOOKS yet.
[23:12] <Laggy> She's just in the seat next to him.
[23:13] <Gizmo> "I ... guess so." Which was a hell of a lot closer than he wanted her to be! His book was closed and shoved away. Probably wasn't going to get to read it with her there, anyway.
[23:15] <Laggy> She frowns a bit - the first time he's seen her do that - as she reaches over and playfully punches him in the arm. Well, not really punching, but enough force to definitely get his attention. "C'mon, don't be so mean. I just moved over here just to be able to talk to you. That's got to count for something."
[23:19] <Gizmo> Aaaaawkward. Reaching to put a hand on the back of his neck, Akahoshi let out a small sigh before he responded. "You did, yeah. But I mean ... I b-barely know you. And you're making it out like ... like we've known each other since we were k-kids or something." From what he'd heard her say to the other poor guy, anyway.
[23:22] <Laggy> Yeah. What a ridiculous thing to do. They were complete strangers aside from the park run-in, after all.
[23:23] <Laggy> But Makoto seems to react well to Akahoshi actually displaying a spine for once! "Well, yeah. I know. I dunno, I think we must've met at least once before because I definitely recognized you in that park and not anyone else. Or maybe you just stand out." She smiles brightly. "In any case, why's that an obstacle? You're here to learn and meet people! The two go hand in hand!"
[23:25] <Gizmo> "We couldn't have m-met before," he protests. "I ... I'm really good with n-names and f-faces and ..." He frowned. "In the park, that was the first time we met ..." He sighed, in an almost hopeless manner. Him? Stand out? Man she was weird. "... Learn, maybe. But m-meeting people is optional."

Carthrat

[21:55] <Laggy> Sakura heads up the stairs to her first class! It is run by Mr. Arayoshi, according to her little agenda that she had the presence of mind to pick up a while back. He's a new teacher that she has never encountered before, although she would be shocked if she didn't see a lot of familiar faces. Hayako's not big.
[21:57] <Laggy> She comes in about a minute before roll call and finds herself with only two desk choices to be spared. Unfortunate. She can opt for either the far corner desk, distant from the chalkboard and the teacher but with no window view (wrong side of the room), or she can take the one that's practically right in front of his desk.
01[21:58] <Sakura> It feels strangely good to arrive to class without needing to bow and delivery the customary apologies. She spends a moment scrutinizing Mr. Arayoshi anyway, staring at him almost to the point of rudeness before venturing into the desks. It will have to be the corner desk she takes, there is no question about that.
[21:59] <Laggy> Mr. Arayoshi is an old man, possibly approaching his sixties, with wispy white hair, glasses, and a very old, distinguished, practically patrician look - the type you'd recognize instantly of the old Japanese generation. His expression is stern, and he's holding a clipboard and just frowns at Sakura as she enters. No warmth there. He doesn't say anything, though, but she'd guess that she's being
[21:59] <Laggy> tacitly disapproved of for being the last student to show up - or second to last, since there's another seat that's unoccupied.
01[22:01] <Sakura> Sakura certainly didn't return any particular joy at his presence, either. Taking her seat, she takes a moment to note who she will be next to this year.
[22:04] <Laggy> Sakura has the advantage of only dealing with a handful of nearby people. One is a plain looking chap, of average height, average build, with a pair of glasses, a textbook out and a studious expression. Perhaps the most remarkable thing about him is a large, jagged scar that runs across his forehead, the only distinguishing feature. He doesn't say anything or even look at Sakura as she
[22:04] <Laggy> takes her seat, and is diagonal to her - she's in the southwest corner, the windows are on the east side.
[22:05] <Laggy> The girl in front of her appears to be - gasp! - foreign, because she has brilliant blonde hair that seems to be practically of Norwegian origin and is obviously not Japanese. She does give Sakura quite the appraising look as she passes by, but not enough to turn around and chat it up or do anything else.
[22:06] <Laggy> And the individual to the right is a tall, lanky fellow playing with a pen with a bored-looking expression. As Sakura sits down, she notices that he's watching her out of the corner of his eye.
01[22:08] <Sakura> The scar is interesting, not belonging as it should on the studious-seeming youth. The foreigner, however, isn't someone she especially wants to get to know, not right now. The tall man, however, seems interested in *her*, which is deserving of her full attention. "Good morning."
[22:10] <Laggy> He seems to be a little caught off-guard at the fact that she's noticed him, but he recovers quickly and uses the excuse to make direct eye contact with her and give a slight grin. "Good morning." That's all, though. He seems to be attentive to the fact that ol' Arayoshi doesn't seem to be the type who tolerates idle chitchat in his classroom and turns back to gaze aimlessly at the
[22:10] <Laggy> chalkboard once more.
[22:12] <Laggy> The bell rings seconds later, and Arayoshi doesn't even bother with introductions or a brief lecture or anything. He just goes straight to calling names. Seems that being a junior means the teachers just kind of assume you know the routine at this point, or he has no personal touch whatsoever.
[22:12] <Laggy> Sakura's name is sounded off pretty quickly, by nature of her last name being alphabetically early.
01[22:13] <Sakura> "Yes," she replies, briefly raising her hand. What a boring man.
[22:13] <Laggy> As he goes down the list, she learns the names of her nearby classmates - the boy with glasses is Asher (which is, interestingly, not a Japanese name at all), the guy that she had greeted was Takoshi, and the foreigner was Anastasia.
[22:14] <Laggy> He's going down and then states a name that Sakura's familiar with - not the first familiar name, but more than the rest. "Shirai, Aya," Arayoshi states in an impeccably solemn tone.
[22:14] <Laggy> It is responded with silence.
[22:15] <Laggy> The old man looks around the classroom again as though to confirm that it's not just someone sleeping at the wheel, and repeats it for posterity's sake. "Shirai, Aya." Again, nothing.
[22:15] <Laggy> He moves the pen in his hand and makes a mark, then continues down the list.
01[22:16] <Sakura> It's strange of Aya to not be present at school. Then again, Aya has recently been acting strangely. She's a friend, sort of... and it will be hours before recess gives Sakura a chance to phone her to determine what's up! The frustration...
[22:26] <Laggy> Frustration indeed, her cell phone had best be off - the school didn't mess around with its technology policy, and she was at risk of confiscation if she didn't keep it quiet and the homeroom teacher didn't like her enough. And she'd already started off on a bad foot here.
01[22:27] <Sakura> Never one to ignore the rules without a good, convicing, justifiable reason to do so, Sakura certainly had her phone off before entering class. At least, she thinks she did.
[22:28] <Laggy> To her surprise, though, Arayoshi - after handing out the class agenda and an orientation sheet - actually basically let them loose, stating that he wanted the first class period to be a greet-and-get-together session for the first half hour.
[22:28] <Laggy> He then left the classroom.
01[22:30] <Sakura> That was certainly unusual. Like several others in the room, though, Sakura is quick to flick out her phone and send a message to Aya, politely enquiring as to her non-attendance today.
[22:30] <Laggy> Text message! Sent! The animated gelatin-like cutesy bug-eyed thing smiles, does a flip and a barrel roll, and indicates success.
01[22:32] <Sakura> "It's Takeshi?" remarks Sakura, glancing briefly at the student adjacent to her. "I suppose we should chat about something, if that's the lesson for today."
[22:33] <Laggy> Takoshi seems to find this moment to pull his desk to turn it to her and gives an easy smile. "Takoshi. I don't think we've had a class before, Arai-san, though I think I've heard your name mentioned a few times last year. Weren't you in the same room as Shirai-san?"
01[22:36] <Sakura> "That's right. I can't say I've heard of you, though. What's your claim to fame?"
[22:37] <Laggy> "Ah, I'm just a normal guy shooting the breeze. I just heard you kicked ass in track, actually, and saw a few broken egos being nursed." He grinned again. "Was fine by me. They really needed some breaking anyway."
01[22:42] <Sakura> "I didn't think a bit of running could hurt anyone," replies Sakura, stifling a yawn. "It's easy, though. When you have a goal right in front of you and there's nothing to do but reach it, with all your strength."
[22:43] <Laggy> "Yeah?" He sounded a little amused at that. "So in the end, is everything just a matter of who's stronger as far as competing for goals are concerned?"
01[22:46] <Sakura> "In track, that's right. There's faster and slower, and that's it! But not everything in life is a competition."
[22:51] <Laggy> "I'm not so sure about that, really," he says with a slight drawl, leaning back in his chair. "Pretty much for all circumstances you're going to have a winner and a loser, if there's anything at stake at all. I mean, I guess sometimes you just don't care about the other side - in fact, a lot of the time, really."
01[22:52] <Sakura> "A man is injured, his life is at stake. The surgeon comes, and saves his life. Who is the loser in this scenario?"
[22:53] <Laggy> "The other lives the surgeon could have saved in his place," he states empathically.
01[22:57] <Sakura> "That's an expansion of the terms. You can always add additional sides to any situation. It begs questions. Could that surgeon have saved other lives? Was it within his power to do so? Was it as much a matter of circumstance, as it is strength?"
[22:59] <Laggy> "Yeah, but you can't always define things within a strict set of terms. There's always more to the picture in a such a way that everything's gotta be a tradeoff somehow." He shrugs. "I'm not really trying to argue some abstract bullshit way to make my point, just that it's a matter of greater perspective. In a lot of cases the decision's cut and dry, like that one."
[23:00] <Laggy> "But that ending where everyone's happy? Man, how often do you really get that."
01[23:01] <Sakura> "Life has this problem where it doesn't actually end until you die, so..."
[23:02] <Laggy> He gives her a pensive look. "Yeah, I guess. Maybe not even then."
[23:03] <Laggy> "Way to get me all philsophical on our first conversation, though. What about you, Sakura? I told you know what I've -heard- of you, but what about -you-?"
01[23:03] <Sakura> "What about me?" asks Sakura, giving him an odd look. "What would you like to know?"
[23:05] <Laggy> "Interests, hobbies or side jobs, pursued career, taste in guys, cup size," he rattles off with a deadpan face. "I'll take what I can get."
01[23:10] <Sakura> "You don't mind if I answer backwards, do you? D. Someone focused, reliable, interesting, somehow. Absolutely not an uncouth man. Medicine. Watch repair and delivery." Sakura pauses when it comes to thinking about her interests, however. The ideals of 'success' and 'drive' virtually dominated her world. Exactly what was being done wasn't as important as it being completed.
[23:16] <Laggy> Takoshi seems a little surprised at her direct and frank response, but doesn't interrupt, and actually seems to be anticipating this part of her answer more than anything else now that she's gone and added a dramatic pause to it.
01[23:17] <Sakura> "I suppose I'm interested in the occult," replies Sakura, after spending a good amount of time deliberateing on her answer.
[23:18] <Laggy> "Hmmm," he says, seeming to digest that. Nope, he doesn't seem weirded out or surprised by it. In fact, his words are probably a lot more surprising - "So am I."
[23:18] <Laggy> It's hard to tell if he's being serious or not.
01[23:19] <Sakura> "Really."
[23:19] <Laggy> He turns to look at her. "Like the Knights Templar, and oni, and youkai, and magic and all that?"
01[23:20] <Sakura> "I don't actually know very much. But it is an interest."
[23:20] <Laggy> He looks intrigued for a moment, holding up one hand to smooth out his hair in what's probably an instinctual habit. "Out of curiosity, what spurred it?"
01[23:21] <Sakura> "I guess you could blame my parents. They were always into it, but never really taught us anything."
[23:22] <Laggy> "You got some pretty rad parents if they were into that stuff. I have what I'd call a passing interest, but it's a lot of fun digging up specifics." He looks at her carefully, the implications of her words sinking in. "You mean they really -believed- in the occult? Were practitioners?"
01[23:24] <Sakura> "You made quite a leap to that conclusion, you know."
[23:24] <Laggy> "You said 'never really taught us anything'. That's a pretty big implication."
01[23:26] <Sakura> "I'd certainly hope they weren't actual practitioners. The occult is interesting because it isn't real. If you start taking it seriously..."