News:

No longer content with mere attendance, the middle-class suburban poseurs have begun to put their hands in the air and wave them like they just don't care

Main Menu

Magical Girl Jess: Jessica Version

Started by Corwin, December 11, 2010, 07:44:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corwin

<--->

[13:15] <Ui> "So, wanna try having a seance?" Jay is asking. Jessica must have spaced out briefly, because she cannot recall what took the conversation in this direction from the usual litany of woes listed categorically by her best friend.
[13:18] <Jessica> Jessica's head snaps up from it's dozing position, and she grins at Jay. "Hey, isn't that trying to talk to dead people? They'd be all miserable and stuff, wouldn't they? Because they're dead."
[13:20] <Ui> "Maybe they've found enlightenment!" Jay says defensively, recoiling. She's clutching a pillow protectively to her chest. "You never know, and you never will if you don't try!"
[13:24] <Jessica> "But perhaps they are filled with bitterness!" Jessica spins around on her chair, and comes to a sudden stop making the most ghastly expression. "Jessicaaaaa.. Jessicaaaaaa Hawthorne! Do you know... what your sin is?"
[13:25] <Ui> "Where do I start?"
[13:28] <Jessica> "It has to have been to someone who's dead now," replies Jessica, reaching for her phone. "So how does it work? If it works. Which would be neat, except that we'd be screaming and running away from the ghosts. I think this is Katie's thing, I'll text her..." she adds, starting to type away at maximum speed.
[13:31] <Jessica> 'hi!! wanna go on a seance'
[13:34] <Ui> Jessica does not have to wait long for the response, a curt, 'u mad?'
[13:36] <Jessica> ':D y. jay wants to c ded ppl.' "And do we do it ourselves, or, like, do we call one of those phone psychics?" she continues, glancing aback at Jay.
[13:38] <Ui> 'hate u' is the response this time, which Jessica parses as tentative acceptance. Jay shrugs. "Your phone bill, your choice."
[13:41] <Jessica> "Yeaaah so we're doing it ourselves, then? What do we even do?"
[13:43] <Ui> "We need candles," Jay elaborates, settling herself more comfortably. "And-- and tarot cards! I read that you could do it like this on the internet."
[13:46] <Jessica> "I read that on the internet, if you stare into a mirror for an hour without blinking, the other you inside will step out, and you'll change places and everything will be backwards," replies Jessica. "So yeah. I read a lot of stuff on the internet. But I guess some of it has to be true? I think we actually have some candles left over from last halloween. Is it okay if they're halfway used?"
[13:47] <Ui> Jay waves her hand dismissively. "Sure." She pulls her bag closer and roots in it. "I brought the tarots. They're here somewhere, give me a moment...."
[13:49] <Jessica> "Oh, what- we're doing it now? Like right now?"
[13:50] <Ui> Jay pauses, and reaches over to tuck a stray lock of hair behind her ear. "We don't have to. How about tomorrow?"
[13:51] <Jessica> "Tomorrow's better. It's like 10. Does it matter what time we do it at? I guess it has to be night..."
[13:52] <Ui> "I guess," Jay says, acting nonchalant. She tosses her bag off the bed to tumble over the floor and yawns. "I guess," she repeats. "I'm tired. Let's sleep?"
[13:55] <Jessica> Jessica quickly texts something back to Katie- 'come over tomorrow at 9pm' -and reaches over to switch off her radio. "Sure, darling. I'll be right here in case the ghosts come a'callin' early~"
[14:06] <Ui> No ghosts attack over the night. Jessica awakens at the sounds of buzzing.
[14:06] <Jessica> Her alarm? She's on holiday! Reflexively, her hand lashes out to punish the offending instrument.
[14:08] <Ui> The vengeance upon her alarm clock is terrible and swift, silencing the machine... perhaps forever. A few moments later, the buzzing sound returns. More awake now, she recognizes it as the intercom installed for her mother's benefit after her debilitating accident. Forcing her to go to the second story rooms the family's kids occupy for every simple thing was just impossible, after all.
[14:10] <Jessica> Coming to her senses fairly rapidly, Jessica manages to extricate herself from room, and slips into some slippers. Soon enough, she's padding down the stairs...
[14:12] <Ui> "How about we go sailing today, Honey?" greets her as she makes it down the last flight of stairs. Her mother is sitting there in her wheelchair, perfectly groomed in sharp contrast to Jessica's slovenly appearance so early in the morning. She even has the audacity to smile sweetly!
[14:14] <Jessica> Jessica stares at her mother, rather bleary-eyed. "Uh... Mom? It's.. seven?" she says, pointing at the grandfather clock in the hall.
[14:15] <Ui> "Six," Susan corrects her brightly. "Go wash your face, Dear."
[14:17] <Jessica> Jessica's feet go onto autopilot, and begin to send her to the bathroom. "It's.. summer.. my sleep-in time..."
[14:17] <Ui> Whistling cheerfully to herself, Susan appears to ignore such protests, wheeling herself into the kitchen.
[14:19] <Jessica> "'zMatt coming?" calls Jessica, blearily peering at morning face in the mirror.
[14:20] <Ui> "It would be just us girls!" Susan's voice drifts back through the open door, demonstrating once more that her mother's senses are as sharp as ever.
[14:21] <Jessica> "I gotta be back by eight! And Jay's coming!" calls back Jess, retrieving her toothbrush and beginning the lengthly morning ritual of setting her features right.
[14:27] <Ui> Someone comes by as Jessica brushes her teeth. It's Patty, she notices while glancing in the mirror after spitting. Her younger sister stands there, observing silently for a moment, and then leaves.
[14:35] <Jessica>  They used to be able to brush their teeth in the same room together without suffering undue embarrasment, Jessica recalls. Could this be the fabled growing up, taking place right before her? Well, since she's already here, she gets to shower first!
[14:41] <Ui> Neither of her siblings chooses to share the shower with Jessica, and Jay appears to decline that privelege as well. Clean and awake and ready to face the day, Jessica steps out into the hallway and almost runs into Matt. He seems surprised to see her; he also appears to have just come home and was trying to sneak up the stairs.
[14:42] <Jessica> "Where were you?" mouths Jessica, head twitching in a gesture of irritation. How nice that Matt plans on going to bed around when she gets up!
[14:44] <Ui> He rolls his eyes. Since Jessica is keeping quiet, however, Matt proceeds up the stairs. Halfway through, he pauses and gives her a wave before continuing.
[14:47] <Jessica> Jessica's eyes roll back, but the wave is also returned, albeit half-heartedly. With the morning greetings dispensed with, it is time to fetch breakfast!
[14:52] <Ui> The front door closes. That must be her father, on the way to work. Susan is alone in the kitchen, and the smell of pancakes and waffles is enough to make Jessica's mouth water.
[14:55] <Jessica> Her daughterly duties demand that Jessica find some way to help in the kitchen, though it appears the only thing left to do will be to pour out a few glasses of orange juice. "Are we going to the bay?" she asks, resting a hand on the back of her mother's chair.
[14:57] <Ui> "Where else?" Susan asks back. "And once there, we'll have a friendly wager. Teams of two, loser takes care of lunch." Her eyes are glinting evilly as she looks back at Jessica over her shoulder.
[14:58] <Jessica> "I'm your daughter! What kind of mother gambles with their kids?" protests Jessica. "Not even TALKING about how I don't *have* any money!"
[14:59] <Ui> "It's a great motivation to win, then! Where is your fighting spirit? Here you are, already decided that you're going to lose against a cripple!" Susan argues back, smiling all the while.
[15:05] <Jessica> "I just hope you don't want more than a hot dog, that's all I'm sayin'," mumbles Jess, reaching for her juice and skulling it.
[15:09] <Ui> Susan laughs, the sound like bells. "You're really my daughter," she says with approval. "Not for a moment did you consider the easy way out of teaming up with me."
[15:11] <Jessica> "Well, duh. Team Jessica!"
[15:12] <Ui> Susan laughs anew, and places two pancakes on a plate, which she then offers to Jessica.
[15:14] <Jessica> "Now if you want to join the winning side, we might have an opening," adds Jessica, slathering the pancakes in maple syrup. "We'll consider this a tryout?"
[15:15] <Ui> "I'll do my best not to hold Patty back," Susan demurs, setting a new plate aside, then a third one. A larger one, filled with waffles, is placed at the center of the table.
[15:16] <Jessica> "She'd do better with you than with me anyway," replies Jessica, grabbing some cutlery and starting to scarf down the sugar-laden breakfast.
[15:16] <Ui> Susan looks away, suddenly quiet.
[15:17] <Jessica> "-I mean, how couldn't she? I can't even remember the last time we went sailing. When was that?"
[15:19] <Ui> "Patty's taking a while," Susan says suddenly. "I'll go give her a call." She maneuvers around the kitchen table with uncanny proficiency, leaving the room.
[15:20] <Jessica> Jessica continues to eat for a moment, at least until her plate is clear, but an unsettling atmosphere has been left behind. Meals aren't fun at all when you're on your own.
[15:25] <Ui> Her peaceful if melancholic breakfast is interrupted by a loud crash! Black tank top, denim jeans and flowing hair just as dark floating behind with the motion, Jessica's identical double lunges inside through the kitchen window!

<--->

[15:27] <Jessica> Jessica looks up with a sharp scream! She's holding a fork with a half-eaten piece of waffle in it, and stares into her double's features with wide, uncomprehending eyes.
[15:29] * Jessie doesn't have time to waste, and swings at her alter ego with enough force to knock her clean out! Can't have her screaming all the way out, after all!
[15:34] <Ui> Jessica can't possibly avoid this attack. Even if she weren't still waking up, augmented with magic, Jessie's fist is assured to land the hit. As it finds Jessica's temple, the blonde's world goes dark! Jessie finds herself unable to follow through, however, as she staggers suddenly, spots dancing on the edge of her vision!
[15:34] <Ui> "Jessica? Honey, what's wrong?" Susan calls over.
[15:35] * Jessie grimaces, does her best to grab the unconscious Jessica and haul her out of the window!
[15:37] <Ui> Jessica drops to the floor, she knows that much from the thump she heard. It's hard to see, and even harder to focus. Kneeling down, she fights vertigo and gropes for her double, while others appear to be approaching the kitchen!
[15:37] <Ui> *dropped
[15:39] <Jessie> "Gh, hah...the hell?!" By this point Jessie realises she doesn't have time for this anymore, and has to spend her effort on getting herself out without detection!
[15:40] <Ui> The window is much easier to spot due to the difference in the volume of light. It hurts her eyes, but Jessie relies on that and pushes the pain away, clearing out of the house with a jump!

<--->

[15:43] <Ui> Her forehead is cold. That is Jessica's first conscious thought, before the sharp pain in her temple reasserts itself with a vengeance and overtakes all else.
[15:44] <Jessica> "Ow..." Jessica groans, and slowly raises a hand to her head. "OW."
[15:46] <Ui> A cold compress rests there. It is wet. Jessica's hand is then clutched protectively. She instantly feels safe, for she recognizes her mother's hands holding her own.
[15:47] <Jessica> Jessica opens her eyes, and manages to start breathing again. "M.. mom?"
[15:48] <Ui> The first face she sees is indeed her mother's, gazing worriedly down upon her. Patty is behind her, holding another compress.
[15:50] <Jessica> Jessica feels tears start to form at the edge of her eyes, not caused entirely by the pain. "Did you see her?" she manages, swallowing.
[15:52] <Ui> "See who, Honey?" Susan asks, smiling through her own tears. Patty moves past her to replace the compresses silently. Off to the side, Jessica spots Matt, his old baseball bat nearby. Her brother is looking out the window. She has seen enough to realize that she is on the living room's sofa.
[15:53] <Jessica> "The girl who hit me," replies Jessica, croaking and reaches up to rub her eyes. "The window," she says again, letting her head rest back on the couch.
[15:55] <Ui> Patty withdraws, and then turns and leaves the room altogether with a small wash basin in tow. "She must have run away when we came," Susan tells Jessica. "Do you remember what happened? Can you tell us?"
[15:56] <Jessica> "She just.. just came in! Through the window," replies Jessica, grimacing. "Then she hit me. She like- she looked-" Jessica's breath begins to run ragged, and sweat starts pouring down her face.
[15:58] <Ui> Susan reaches to cup Jessica's cheek. Matt glances over, grits his teeth, and then stares determinatedly back outside.
[15:58] <Jessica> "She looked just like me," Jessica continues, speech becoming more shallow by the second. "No, like, black hair. But everything else was the same. Haha, what the hell, is that like a fan? My first fan?"

<--->
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Corwin

<--->

[14:06] <Ui> Come evening, Jay shows up with Katie in tow, the former looking subdued. "Are you sure about this?" she asks Jessica. "After this morning...."
[14:10] <Jessica> Jessica is sporting a nasty-looking bruise on the side of her head, which nods emphatically. "I am completely pumped about this. I don't think anyone really gets it when I said she looks just like me. It's uncanny. Spooky, even!"
[14:15] <Ui> "Everyone's got a twin walking around," Katie voices, letting herself into Jessica's room. "Nothing stopping one from stalking the other, way I figure."
[14:19] <Jessica> Jessica's room is ringed with candles, though none are lit just yet. "I'm prepared to believe it. What's with her punching- attacking- assaulting- I don't know, it's- ugh," she mutters, clutching at her temple. "It's like. The second I'm by myself again, I'm scared she'll show up."
[14:22] <Ui> "What, like, you're in the shower and you're afraid she's just behind the curtain with a knife?" Katie asks, mimicking a stabbing motion. Jay gives her a reproaching look, and takes Jessica's hand. "Then you shouldn't be alone. Can't you get your dad to give you protection-- okay not what I meant but you know!"
[14:28] <Jessica> "It's actually kinda like that," replies Jessica, nervously. "No, I mean- she's just some chick, right? She just surprised me. I'm mostly okay, and who wants to hang around cops, anyway? No, like... who wants to get pushed around like that?" She shrugs, and walks towards her bed; her bass is lying lengthways on it, and she grabs it to put on the stand. (More)
[14:28] <Jessica> "Anyway, how 'bout we do this? What do we do?"
[14:31] <Ui> "Light the candles counter-clockwise," Katie says, claiming a spot on the floor, her back to the sole window.
[14:31] <Ui> "Are you sure about that?" Jay asks skeptically, to which Katie shrugs. "Hey, can't hurt."
[14:32] * Jessica grabs a book of matches and strikes one up, beginning to do just that. "Ever think about going back in time?" she asks, apropos of nothing.
[14:34] <Ui> "To the exciting times of no indoor plumbing?" Katie asks, raising an eyebrow. Jay twists her nose. "I would just be ruined without my air conditioning."
[14:35] <Jessica> "I was thinking more like the 70s..."
[14:36] <Ui> "No," Katie instantly deadpans, while Jay winces.
[14:39] <Jessica> "It was the happening time!" argues Jessica, reaching for the lightswitch and flicking it off. "Or was that the 60s? The beatles folded in the 70s, so yeah, it must be the 60s."
[14:44] <Ui> After a brief silence, Katie asks, "Let's start?" glancing at Jay. "Starting's good!" Jessica's best friend agrees, getting her pack of tarot card out of her bag.
[14:45] <Jessica> Jessica leans up against her bed, sitting cross-legged on the floor. Her eyes swivel towards the cards.
[14:51] <Ui> With great effort, Jay shuffles the large cards and then takes one and places it prominently on the floor. It depicts a man hanging upside down from one foot. "The Hanged Man," Jay pronounces, as Katie rolls her eyes and asks, "No, really?"
[14:52] <Jessica> "Huh. At least he's not hanging from his neck. I think you still die like that, though. So I guess it means someone's gonna die?"
[14:54] <Ui> "I think it means surrender," Jay voices, reaching for the next card. "It used to be called the Traitor."
[14:55] <Ui> The next card is labeled Death, picturing a skeleton in armor riding through a field of corpses. "Ah, there we go," Katie says almost excitedly, rubbing her hands.
[14:55] <Jessica> "Ah, right." Jessica's voice feels somehow small; the looming candles all about her take on an seemingly unnatural height- and she snorts, promptly breaking the illusion. "This gets better and better. So someone will surrender, then die. Or, uh, turn traitor, and then die?"
[14:57] <Ui> "Don't be so literal!" Jay admonishes, even as Jessica detects a shiver go through her friend. "It's--" She suddenly stops, dropping her head. "Okay, so there's really no positive explanation for Death." Instead, she draws a third card. A goddess seats on a throne, sword raised high. "Justice," Jay reads, and Katie gives off a cheer. "See? Don't worry, Jess, you'll be avenged!"
[14:59] <Jessica> "Oh, great! Hey, Katie, are you doing the avenging?"
[15:01] <Ui> Laughing, Katie raises her drumsticks and then makes several stabbing motions with them once more. "Be more serious!" Jay chides them, and draws two cards, placing them face down on the ground, one at each side. "Now you get to choose, left or right?" she asks, turning her head towards Jessica.
[15:02] <Jessica> "This is it. This is the choice that decides my fate," replies Jessica, closing her eyes and pointing to the one on the left.
[15:03] <Ui> Jay peers under it, before slamming it back on the ground. "Are you sure?" she asks with a fixed smile.
[15:04] <Jessica> "If we cheat, it won't work! I know how these things go," insists Jessica.
[15:05] <Ui> With a sigh of resignation, Jay flips the card. Katie catcalls at what it depicts, though Jessica's eyes moves past the chained naked mortals to the towering form of the Devil.
[15:06] <Jessica> "You know, it's still cheating if you stack all the horrible cards to the top," mumbles Jessica, staring balefully at the Devil's form.
[15:07] <Ui> Jay merely flips the remaining card to the right, which depicts naked mortals as well, except they are praying to the angel flying in the skies above. "You could have picked Judgement," she does not quite whine, while Katie claps in the background.
[15:09] <Jessica> "No matter whether you go to heaven or hell, they still strip you, huh?"
[15:12] <Ui> Katie laughs, even as Jay flushes pink. "This is vice," she says, gesturing to her left, "and virtue," while her hand points to the right. "You can either accept all the troubles and difficulty and be the stronger for it, or you can crumble under their pressure and let them bind you. You can either accept the bad in life and strive for justice, or you can resign yourself and not even try, damning yourself because the universe doesn't help those who won't help themselves."
[15:12] <Ui> There is a brief silence, before Katie snickers anew. "But either way, your clothes won't make it?"
[15:12] <Ui> Jay buries her face in her hands.
[15:14] <Jessica> "Hey, I get it. I mean, it's about taking responsibility, right? But I'm sixteen, so I don't *have* any responsibilities," replies Jessica, nodding. "The cards have spoken!"
[15:17] <Ui> Silently, Jay begins to gather the cards. As soon as she picks the last one up, the window behind Katie bangs open, a sudden gust of wind putting out all of the lit candles!
[15:18] <Jessica> "Gah!" shrieks Jessica, standing up too quickly and stumbling back onto her bed!
[15:19] <Ui> Several tense seconds later, the door opens, and someone flicks the light switch on. Looking towards the entrance to her room, Jessica sees her younger sister, Patty.
[15:21] <Jessica> Jessica is crammed up against the back wall, breathing hard and with a look of panic etched across her face!
[15:26] <Ui> Patty steps into the room, paying no heed to its petrified occupants, and closes the window. She latches it to ensure that it won't get opened again, and after peering past it, draws the shades closed and leaves, closing the door behind her.
[15:26] <Ui> "Huh," Katie finally says.
[15:27] <Jessica> "Uh, thanks," calls Jess, after Patty. She slumps off the wall, and assumes a restful position on her bed. "See. See? It's like that, I was sure I was gonna get hit again," she mumbles.
[15:28] <Ui> "She did look pretty cross," Katie agrees, to which Jay shakes her head. "No, that's her normal face."
[15:28] <Ui> "Really?"
[15:28] <Ui> Jay shrugs. "Yeah."
[15:30] <Jessica> Jess snorts. "Not by *Patty*, like that'd- anyway, she is kinda like that lately. I dunno why."
[15:31] <Ui> "You must be a pain to look after," Katie speculates.
[15:33] <Jessica> "Haha, but no, seriously, I don't know why at all. And it's just weird to ask," replies Jessica, frowning. "'Hey, sis, why don't you talk to me anymore?' That's the kind of question that doesn't get answered."
[15:34] <Ui> "She'd probably shiver and give you a dirty look and go all 'Gross! Stay away!'" Katie says with a grin.
[15:36] <Jessica> Jessica screws up her face for an instant. "That's such an anime thing."
[15:38] <Ui> "Shut up!"
[15:40] <Jessica> "You're only mad 'coz it's true!" grins Jessica. "She'd be more like, 'What are you, my mom?' or something, and Mom would probably hear by accident and it'd go down like something out of Friends, or some sitcom."
[15:41] <Ui> "I've got five bucks on the dirty look," Katie challenges Jessica defiantly.
[15:41] <Ui> Jay considers, and finally nods to herself. "I'm betting on her breaking down and crying about missing her beloved older sister," she says, to which Katie makes a disgusted face.
[15:42] <Jessica> "Wait, wait. Are we betting on this? We're so not betting on this," replies Jessica, frowning.
[15:45] <Ui> "Can't put your money where you mouth is?" Katie goads her on, taking out a bill and waving it tauntingly at Jessica.
[15:47] <Jessica> "I don't have any money- I mean, that's stupid! This is serious business," complains Jessica. "And I'm so not doing it while you guys are here, which you *will* be because you're keeping me company until tomorrow," she adds, folding her arms.
[15:48] <Ui> "Hey, loan her five bucks," Katie says, gesturing at Jay, who begins to retrieve a bill only to pause and glare at Katie. "Hey!"
[15:50] <Jessica> "No loaning, or piggy-bank smashing, or theft!" Jessica frowns. "I don't need to take your money. It'll be enough to tell you you were wrong."
[16:02] <Jessica> It's around noon the next day when Jessica finds herself knocking on Patty's door, feeling faintly awkward and cowardly as she does so. This shouldn't seem so hard, she reminds herself.
[16:06] <Ui> There is no answer to Jessica's initial knock.
[16:06] <Jessica> "Hey, Patty, you there?" calls Jessica, briefly.
[16:07] <Ui> No response, either, though Jessica hears the scraping of a chair against the floor.
[16:08] <Jessica> Jessica pushes the door open despite the lack of acknowledgment, secure in some strange belief that everyone would be happy to see her.
[16:10] <Ui> The door is unlocked, opening at her efforts. Patty is seated by the desk, and turns her head to gaze at Jessica silently.
[16:11] <Ui> The room is very tidy and, Jessica can't help but note, larger than hers. Bookcases take up the majority of one wall, and a brand new laptop is placed upon the desk, currently closed.
[16:12] <Jessica> "Hey," repeats Jessica, feeling something cold that keeps her by the door. The room just doesn't have heart, to her way of thinking. Though it would be great to have more room to practice... "Uh, thanks for taking care of me before. Do you wanna go grab a burger or something? My treat!"
[16:16] <Ui> The familiar uncomfortable silence in all her recent dealings with her younger sister settles in. "I'm busy," Patty quietly says at last.
[16:18] <Jessica> "How about this weekend, or something? We could go catch a movie," suggests Jessica, undaunted. "I got nothing on Saturday..."
[16:18] <Ui> "I'm busy all week," Patty says, not waiting long this time around.
[16:20] <Jessica> "What're you doing?"
[16:22] <Ui> Patty sighs. "Are you asking so you could tell your friends all about it?"
[16:24] <Jessica> "No! I mean, it's not like I wouldn't tell them, either, but like- that's not the point," she replies, shaking her head. "Aren't we friends as well?"
[16:25] <Ui> Patty lowers her head. Jessica has to strain her ears, but the answer is "No."
[16:26] <Jessica> Jessica stares back for a moment, and her eyes droop. "I don't get it. I don't get you anymore," she says, turning around and closing the door behind her.

<--->

Corwin

<--->

[13:48] <Ui> Heading down the stairs after a quick stop to pick up her equipment, Jessica spots Jay hanging in the living room. The way Jay's face lights up makes it pretty clear who she had been waiting for.
[14:08] <Jessica> "Hey, Jay! Ready to go?" asks Jessica, with her bass slung up in it's case over her back.
[14:11] <Ui> Jay salutes! "I'll be your bodyguard for today," she reports cheerfully.
[14:13] <Jessica> "Oh, really? Then I better test your fitness," replies Jessica, rolling up her sleeve and planting her elbow on the table. "As long as you can beat me in an arm wrestle, I'm totally going to trust that you can protect me from myself!"
[14:13] <Ui> "I'm not doing that!"
[14:14] <Jessica> "What, why not? It'll take five seconds!"
[14:15] <Ui> "It's a guy bonding thing. We're not guys!" Jay throws up her hands. "We can't arm wrestle, it's barbaric!"
[14:16] <Jessica> "Are you saying my mom is barbaric?"
[14:18] <Ui> Jay remains silent briefly, mulling over her answer. "Don't take it the wrong way, but your mom is manlier than most guys I know." She raises her voice, adding, "And I mean it in the nicest way possible, Mrs Fields!"
[14:18] <Ui> "Of course you do!" Susan's voice drifts back into the living room from the kitchen.
[14:19] <Jessica> "She totally is," agrees Jessica. "Anyway, I got a ride incoming. Let's go wait out front. Seeya, mom!"
[14:21] <Ui> "Bye, honey!" Susan calls, wheeling herself to the living room with a wicker basket. "Take this along?" The smell of freshly-baked cookies drifts from it.
[14:23] <Jessica> "Oh, thanks!" replies Jessica, reaching out to grab the basket. "Can I tell the guys I made them myself? You know, poured my tender feelings into them?"
[14:25] <Ui> "Only lie if you can get away with it, Honey," Susan says with a smile.
[14:28] * Jessica grins. "Then I better get you to teach me sometime, 'cos I know they'll want more." She leans over to kiss Susan affectionately on the cheek, and then straightens up. "Alright. Let's roll."
[14:30] <Ui> Matt is waiting in the car outside. He starts the engine when he sees Jessica head out; Jay takes the basket from her and helpfully opens the passanger door, claiming the seat by the driver while Jessica fiddles with fitting her bass in.
[14:32] <Jessica> It's difficult, but it should just cram in lengthwise... "You know where to go, right?" she asks, once she's settled.
[14:42] <Ui> "We'll get there just fine, don't worry," Matt tells her with a grin, and they're off!
[14:43] <Ui> The trip itself is mercifully short, and as Matt pulls into the street where John resides, Jessica's cell rings.
[14:44] <Jessica> Naturally, Jessica answers!
[14:44] <Ui> "Hey, Jess, it's Andrew."
[14:44] <Jessica> "Oh! Hey, what's up? We just got to the place."
[14:47] <Ui> "Yeah, about that." There is a brief, uncomfortable pause. "Listen, I'm gonna be late. Something's come up, and-- look, I'll be there for the party itself. Can you handle the sound check with Katie, somehow?"
[14:48] <Jessica> "Uh... sure, we'll figure something out. Does John have a guitar or anything, I could do your part and see how it sounds, and- what's up, anyway?"
[14:51] <Ui> "Sorry, I don't have much time. Just... talk to you later, okay?" Without waiting for a confirmation, the lines goes dead.
[14:51] <Ui> "Trouble in paradise?" Matt asks.
[14:52] <Jessica> "Andy's gonna be late. Something came up," replies Jessica, worriedly. "Katie's gonna flip..."
[14:53] <Ui> Matt pulls into the driveway. "It happens. Tough luck, but what can you do?"
[14:55] <Jessica> "It doesn't to Andy," protests Jess. "He's like never late, ever. I mean, it's mostly his band, right?"
[14:56] <Ui> Matt shrugs. "Something I could help with?"
[14:56] <Ui> Jay turns over in her seat and points at Matt, grinning widely. She nods a few times enthusiastically for good measure.
[14:58] <Jessica> "Oh, yeah, totally!" replies Jessica, suddenly. "We gotta do a sound check and we're down one guitar, and man if he doesn't show up we need a stand-in and can you handle his part? Actually if we just have another guitar that would be aces..."
[15:01] <Ui> "I keep mine with me but it's an acoustic. That works?"
[15:01] <Jessica> "We'll improvise. Hey, it'll be just like old times for you, right?"
[15:03] <Ui> "I still play," he protests. The car parked, Matt heads for the trunk and retrieves a guitar case Jessica remembers quite well.
[15:04] <Jessica> "Sorry, sorry." Jessica sets about pulling herself out from the car, bass in tow. "Thanks, though. Total lifesaver."
[15:06] <Ui> Jay helpfully brings up the rear, carrying the cookies.
[15:06] <Ui> "It's what big brothers are for, or so Mom goes. Going with a new song or just the same old but practiced stuff?"
[15:07] <Jessica> "It'll have to be old stuff, you don't know our latest," replies Jessica, heading for the door and hitting the bell. "You remember 'Sliding'?"
[15:08] <Ui> "Sure, I can handle that," Matt readily agrees.
[15:10] <Jessica> "Yeah, it'll do alright with acoustics. We could do a cover of Bad Romance, and... wait, no, we're still down a keyboardist... ah, we'll figure it out."
[15:11] <Ui> "It'll be great!" Jay calls out, beaming. She is already making her way around the house towards the back yard.
[15:13] * Jessica starts to follow, naturally. "Rocking. Hey, Matt," she asks, trailing a bit behind Jay. "You talked to Patty at all lately?"
[15:13] <Ui> "Yeah, I guess," he says, shrugging. "What's up?"
[15:14] <Jessica> "Is something, like, up with her lately?"
[15:16] <Ui> "She made valedictorian?" Matt suggests, keeping up with Jessica. "She's smart, she's going places. You know that's what Dad thinks."
[15:18] <Jessica> "Well yeah, I know, right? She just doesn't seem too happy lately," replies Jessica. "I offered to treat her before, but she just turned me down. I mean, turned me down forever."
[15:20] <Ui> Matt snorts. "I know how that feels." He coughs, then. "I mean, not with her-- ah, hell. Think it's guy trouble?"
[15:21] <Jessica> "With Patty? No way! I mean..." Jessica coughs herself. "Ah, no idea. Just a hunch. It's nothing."
[15:23] <Ui> "What?" Matt asks defensively. "She's not a little kid anymore. Hey, you asked what I thought...."
[15:25] <Jessica> "Um, I know..." Jessica sighs. "It's just, like, she acts as though I did something really bad to her or something sometimes and I was wondering if she was just being bitchy or not you know?"
[15:29] <Ui> Matt shrugs once more. "Sorry. I don't catch that vibe with me, just the distant part. Maybe you actually did? I dunno how much stock to put into this whole honesty deal, but did you come right out and ask her what you did wrong? Tell her you're sorry? That works on girls if you're sincere enough, even if you have no fucking clue what you messed up." He sounds confident, as if speaking from a great wealth of personal experience.
[15:30] <Jessica> Jessica starts to rub her head. "But she's being so dumb," she mutters. "I'm not gonna tell her I'm sorry just because she's, like, sulking. I guess I'll ask her what her deal is sometime, just..."
[15:32] <Ui> Jay is the first one to make it to the yard. She waves enthusiastically, and Jessica sees it being returned by Katie, who does a double-take upon seeing her.
[15:32] <Ui> "Hey, what suits you and all that. No way am I getting in between you two," Matt says, raising his hands and heading over to the porch where the impromptu stage is being constructed.
[15:34] * Jessica heads towars Katie, raising a hand in greeting. "Hey. Andy kinda sorta bailed on us, but he said he'd be here later?"
[15:35] <Ui> "Hello? I told you that just ten minutes ago!" Katie exclaims, peering closer at Jessica. "Whoa. You're blonde again. Was that a wig, then?"
[15:35] <Jessica> "Wait, what?"
[15:37] <Ui> "The hell's wrong with you, Jess?" Katie asks, looking upset. "Are you having fun putting me on the spot like that? You run off and pretend I'm gonna be stuck with all the work? Did Andrew put you up to it, pulling a fast one on me?"
[15:38] <Jessica> "I only just got here! Matt drove me straight from home!" protests Jessica, before her eyes widen and she marches straight up to Katie. "It's gotta be my crazy double who punched me! And you let her go?!"
[15:39] <Ui> "Bullshit! That was no double! It was you with a black wig!"
[15:39] <Jessica> "She had black hair, right? Dresses and looks just like me? Come on, I told you about it just the other day!"
[15:39] <Ui> "You said it was some fan who looks like you." Katie snorts. "I know you. That was you."
[15:40] <Jessica> "That was not me! Come on, tell her!" insists Jessica, glancing at Matt and Jay. "Since when do I pull bullshit on you, anyway?"
[15:42] <Ui> Matt is some distance away, getting settled in and making a supreme effort not to listen in. He's far enough away that Jessica is pretty sure he is succeeding. Jay, on the other hand, looks shocked. "Yeah," she says, all awkward all of a sudden. "We've been together for longer than ten minutes." She woodenly offers Katie the wicker basket. "Cookies?"
[15:43] <Jessica> "Anyway, I'm not gonna rack off and I even brought a backup," she replies, jerking a finger at Matt. "So there! I swear that chick looked exactly like me, though. For all the couple of seconds I got to see her before she hit me." Jessica shivers, shaking her head.
[15:45] * Jessica whips out her phone a moment later. "And you know what, that's fucking creepy that's what it is," she adds, quickly texting a message to basically her entire contacts list telling them that if a black-haired version of her shows up, it's totally not real and they should call the cops or something.
[15:45] <Jessica> *not her
[15:49] <Ui> "Spooky," is all Katie says, munching on a cookie.
[15:49] <Ui> As Matt sets up, she draws to him, no traces of her earlier anger remaining. Jay remains hovering by Jessica's side, however, even as she receives amused responses and a plethora of smilies.
[15:49] <Ui> While checking through her messages, Jessica receives a call; it's from Keith.
[15:50] <Jessica> "Ugh, it totally is," she mutters, reaching to answer her phone. "Hey, Keith?"
[15:50] <Ui> "So is this the sane Jessica?" he asks.
[15:51] <Jessica> "The sane-er Jessica," she replies. "Did you meet my psycho twin, too?"
[15:52] <Ui> "If that's your way of dodging responsibility, yes," he responds mildly. "Did you know they still give out detentions if you piss a teacher off enough?"
[15:52] <Jessica> "Excuse me?"
[15:54] <Ui> "Turns out Mr Stevens really hates coming to school over the summer vacation. He doesn't like being made fun of, either. Together, well, let's just say he likes to spread the misery around."
[15:54] <Jessica> "Well, I didn't have anything to do with that."
[15:56] <Ui> "Hey, that's cool. I believe you, and I'm sure so would Mr Stevens. You had places to be, so you couldn't wait for the lecture. I don't mind, I love being lectured by washed out history teachers."
[15:57] <Jessica> "It really isn't! It's my- oh, for fuck's sake, I've been at home literally all day until just now. Come on, Keith, it wasn't me! You think I'd run off without taking you with me?"
[16:00] <Ui> "Yes, you would definitely make me an accomplice in whatever crime you are out committing," he agrees. "Listen, for what it's worth, I believe you. There was something weird about you today. But she knew me. Really knew me. You know. So I get this text, and I think, if she knows so much about me, what does she know about you? You have to tell your dad, cause it's not funny."
[16:01] <Jessica> "She knew enough to break into my house and punch me in the eye, that's what she knew! I already told him," replies Jessica, sighing and slumping to sit on the edge of the stage. "She totally looks just like me, right? Except black hair?"
[16:02] <Ui> "She told me I had deja vu but she sucks at lying just as much as you do."
[16:02] <Jessica> "I'm so glad I suck at lying right now."
[16:03] <Ui> He laughs. "I guess. So anyway, I won't be there today. What luck, eh?"
[16:04] <Jessica> "You're missing out on cookies. But I'll bake you some later to make up, by which I mean I'll get Mom to bake you some. Deal? Look, um, thanks for believing me, by the way. It's so messed up."
[16:04] <Ui> "We've been best friends how long?"
[16:04] <Jessica> "Six years plus, right?"
[16:05] <Ui> "It's a rhetorical question meant to show the strength of our relationship. We don't answer it, for that diminishes our enduring platonic friendship."
[16:06] <Jessica> "I'm bad at rheotricals, what with all the compulsive answering."
[16:08] <Ui> "I should do the male thing and pretend to be embarrased, before hanging up. Talk to you later, Jess."
[16:08] <Jessica> "Seeya," replies Jess, hanging up. "Ok, guys! Let's huddle!" she calls out to her friends.
[16:10] <Ui> Katie has shucked her leather jacket, discarding it by her drums, and approaches. After a glance at her, Matt places his guitar down and comes over on her heels. "Time to get started?" he asks.
[16:11] <Jessica> "First up, strategy meeting. Clone of me, confirmed," she insists. "She, like, met up with Keith at school, too. And she knew about him, and she evidently knew enough to come here, too," she adds, worriedly. "So. Strategy! Because there ain't room in Berkeley for three Jessicas, right, Jay?"
[16:12] <Ui> "I'm sure there must be hundreds," Jay worriedly responds.
[16:12] <Ui> "Thousands, if not more," Katie corrects her.
[16:13] <Jessica> "The revolutionary Jessica army has no need for traitors, then!"
[16:14] <Jessica> "Look, seriously. I think she's going around meeting up with like everyone I know," she says, grimacing. "That's so fucking creepy. I dunno, if she meets up with you again can you like try and figure her out, or something?"
[16:14] <Jessica> "Or just run and call the cops, since she's a crazy person."
[16:16] <Ui> "I think she's scared of me," Katie helpfully volunteers. As Matt looks at her in surprise, she grins. "I told her I knew where she lives and that I would mess her up." She shrugs. "Sorry, Jess, I don't actually know that part. I thought she was you."
[16:16] <Ui> "Oh-kay, that was creepy," Matt states. "Jessica, did anyone she approach get punched or attacked in any way?"
[16:17] <Jessica> "Uh, just me," replies Jessica, raising a hand to her head. "As far as I know."
[16:18] <Ui> "You're the only one in danger, probably. Unless there were people around the other times--"
[16:18] <Ui> "We were pretty much alone," Katie asserts.
[16:18] <Ui> Matt shrugs. "Well, there goes that theory."
[16:19] <Jessica> "Somehow I don't think Katie would be in danger from little old me, crazy or not..."
[16:20] <Jessica> "Hey wait. What did you talk about?" she asks, glancing at Katie.
[16:22] <Ui> "Fuck, I don't remember. Something about her hair, and how she put effort into dyeing it. I told her about Andrew since she didn't know. She lied about wanting to go grab some food, but I figured you were just ditching me. Any of that helps?"
[16:23] <Jessica> "So basically bullshit. It helps that she was.. around here twenty minutes ago or so? Who lives around here?"
[16:25] <Ui> Katie shrugs. "Couldn't care less."
[16:25] <Ui> Jay raises her hand timidly. "I could go and check?"
[16:27] <Jessica> "Hey, go use John's computer or something, put the word out there?" asks Jessica, standing up. "Nah, I figure, like, she's not gonna do anything seriously bad except maybe to me. And I told people the black-haired me isn't me. So if something happens, we'll probably find out. She might even show up later tonight or something."
[16:29] <Ui> Jay snaps her fingers. "I can do that!" As she heads for the house, Matt glances towards their instruments. "Meanwhile, sound check?"
[16:29] <Jessica> "Oh, shit, the time, yeah, let's do that thing."
[16:35] <Ui> The rest of the setup is quick enough; the problem reveals itself soon after the equipment is hooked up to the sound system. Whatever they try, nothing comes through the speakers arraigned within the yard.
[16:36] <Jessica> "Who's stuff is this?" asks Jessica, walking around the back to inspect the wiring one more time.
[16:38] <Ui> "John's, I think? Or his dad's?" Katie shrugs. "Think they set it up wrong?"
[16:39] <Jessica> "Looks all plugged in to me," replies Jessica, checking to see if the amp even turns on properly.
[16:42] <Ui> The speaker she's looking at is indeed turned on, though the next one she checks seems to be out of power.
[16:43] * Jessica checks to see if the wiring is correct!
[16:46] <Ui> It appears to be plugged in right into the speaker.
[16:46] <Jessica> "I think this one's broken." Jessica unplugs the speaker after giving her expert opinion, and moves on to check some of the others. "But the other one looked okay..."
[16:48] <Ui> Upon inspecting the rest, Jessica finds that roughly two thirds appear broken that very same way, while the rest fall into the first category.
[16:48] <Jessica> "Oh, geez, most of it's busted! Can we even perform like this?" complains Jessica, checking to see if all the broken ones plug into the same set of sockets.
[16:50] <Ui> It doesn't appear to be the case. The sockets seem certainly alive, as Matt discovers by plugging in his cellphone charger.
[16:51] <Jessica> "Man. Maybe there was, like, a power surge?"
[16:58] <Ui> "I'm no electrician," Katie says. "This sucks. Do we bring our own gear?" Their own gear is one amplifier and two beat-up speakers, but it would be better than nothing.
[16:58] <Jessica> "We're gonna have to, aren't we? Where is it?"
[16:59] <Ui> She sighs. "Andrew."
[17:00] <Jessica> "At this rate, we're gonna have to cancel. I don't wanna perform with our stuff with no sound check that we set up when everyone's already here," complains Jessica, reaching for her phone. "I'll call him and see if he can hurry up anyway," she adds, doing just that.
[17:02] <Ui> The call goes into his voicemail.
[17:03] <Jessica> "Hey, Andy, we kinda have a situation here. John's gear isn't working and we can't get anything set up or prepped. Can you call me when you get this? Thanks." With the message left behind, Jessica takes a seat back on stage and clutches her temple. "This is the worst day ever..."
[17:08] <Ui> "So, keeping at it or quitting?" Matt asks bluntly. "I can try something if you want to go for it, but if your heart's not into it...." He trails off, shrugging.
[17:09] <Jessica> Jessica abruptly stares upwards at Matt! "What, you've got an idea? No, totally, what is it?"
[17:10] <Ui> "Let me make a call," he says, taking out his cell. "Just start and I'll join up once I get caught up."
[17:10] <Jessica> "Oh yeah? Alright! Let's see what we can do!"
[17:11] <Ui> Matt flips the cell open in a gesture that looks entirely too cool and then dials. The conversation doesn't take long, and once he's done, he continues listening to Katie and Jessica play. Once the song ends, he nods, and picks up his guitar. "Right, I think I've got it. Once more from the start, then?"
[17:14] <Jessica> "Gotcha. What favour did you call in, bro?"
[17:16] <Ui> "You'll see," he responds with a grin.
[17:16] <Ui> Halfway through the third and last song they had planned to perform, Jessica sees a speaker being pushed into the yard in a wheelchair. At the reigns, dressed in the slacks and t-shirt she wears for gym, is Patty, looking as aloof as usually. Some of that aloofness morphs into distaste once she spots Jessica.
[17:20] <Jessica> The enthusiasm that Jessica built through playing the last couple of tracks falters for a moment, and a couple of notes are hit off-key. But she keeps going, determined to finish the damn song before either flipping out at Matt for being an idiot, or trying to make nice with Patty once again.
[17:22] <Ui> Patty leaves the wheelchair halfway, securing it so it wouldn't roll. Matt gives her a smile and a wave, which she doesn't return, instead heading towards the closest speaker on the grounds and squatting down beside it.
[17:26] <Jessica> Cheerfulness and blunt politeness become weapons in Jessica's hands. "Hey, thanks, Patty! You're a lifesaver, right?"
[17:30] <Ui> Patty ignores her older sister, fiddling with the controls as Jessica had done previously, before tracing the cable back to the socket. She takes it out, reaches for her purse for a small digital clock and plugs it instead. "I tried that before," Matt calls out helpfully, putting down his guitar, and Patty blithely ignores him, studying the display.
[17:34] <Jessica> "It's gotta be broken somehow," affirms Jessica, heading over to the other speaker; is it theirs, and she just didn't know about it?
[17:36] <Ui> It looks very nice and very expensive. If she had to guess, it would need to be Patty's; Matt wouldn't keep something in such a pristine condition and her parents couldn't care less about this sort of equipment. "It doesn't matter," Patty says quietly, moving on towards another speaker. "Why it doesn't work doesn't matter. It's all about how to make it work again."
[17:37] <Jessica> "You know about that kinda stuff? Electronics?" asks Jessica, figuring it's probably not the weirdest thing that might've happened lately.
[17:38] <Ui> Patty lingers by a speaker that is working but not producing any sound, even when she plugs in the microphone she brought with her. "A bit."
[17:41] <Jessica> "So, uh, got any ideas?"
[17:43] <Ui> Patty crosses the power cables at the sockets they are plugged in, and then inspects the speakers in question. Tagging along with her, Jessica sees her go through her tests again with the same result. "Maybe. How did this happen?" Patty asks, connecting the speaker she had brought to the power grid. It works, she immediately ascertains.
[17:44] <Jessica> "I dunno! It was like this when we hooked it up," replies Jessica. "Hey, Katie, did the crazy girl touch this stuff at all?"
[17:46] <Ui> Katie shrugs. "Didn't see her do it." Meanwhile, Patty ropes Matt into helping her relocate one of the local speakers closer to the grid, where she uses the cable she brought with her to power it up. "Hi. Testing, testing, one two three," echoes across the yard, and she gives Matt a dirty look before dialing down the sound.
[17:51] <Jessica> "Not bad. You think we can get away with just one?"
[17:54] <Ui> "Try it with another speaker," Patty all but orders Matt, while she begins to follow the old power cable slowly. "There is plenty of time, isn't there?" she asks Jessica. "A lot more than Matt said there was."
[17:56] <Jessica> Jessica glances at her watch. "We gave ourselves a couple hours for setup, and we're winding up on the first one," she replies. "I was kinda really hoping we wouldn't need it, but hey."
[17:58] <Ui> Patty lingers halfway through, and finally kneels in the grass. "Check," Matt's voice sounds from the new speaker he connected to Patty's equipment. She frowns, and pulls on the cable as if to twist it into a pretzel.
[17:59] <Jessica> "That's two," adds Jessica, unnecessarily. "Were they not linked to the mike properly or something?" she calls out, resolving to actually learn a bit more than the basics about electronica sometime.
[18:00] <Ui> "Sabotage," Patty says in her quiet voice, staring down at the power cable. Twisted the way she has it, even Jessica can see a cut running part of the way through it.
[18:02] <Jessica> "That bitch! It's gotta be her!" concludes Jessica, angrily. "That's so.. so petty."
[18:03] <Ui> "It was... a very sharp knife," Patty says, not looking at Jessica.
[18:04] <Jessica> Jessica pauses. "A knife? For real?"
[18:05] <Ui> "Not just a kitchen knife, either. More like a scalpel or something." She looks very uncomfortable. "To cut through a live cable like that takes something. I won't call it courage, but... it's definitely something."
[18:06] <Jessica> "-yeah, you'd get fried by the current if it's running, wouldn't you? Unless you wore rubber gloves or something?"
[18:07] <Ui> "Or ran around undetected and disconnected it first, then plugged it back in. And then repeated the process for the rest of the gear." She lets the cable drop and raises her head. "You have to cancel, and you have to call Dad. Now."

<--->

Corwin

<--->

[13:34] <Jessica> Jessica is quiet for a moment. "Hey, Katie. What do you think?"
[13:37] <Ui> Katie looks up at Jessica's prompting, and puts her drumsticks down, treading over. "This chick is seriously hardcore," she says upon examining the evidence, such as it is. "If it's her. I'm down with going ahead and then popping her in the face when she shows up for the gig."
[13:37] <Ui> "You can't be serious," Patty deadpans, to which Katie shrugs. "Serious as cancer. Hey, is cancer serious?"
[13:44] <Jessica> "I'm gonna tell dad. After we do this gig thing," decides Jessica. "She's trying to mess with my head. And it's so petty! I ain't backing down."
[13:45] <Ui> "Get killed if you want, I don't care," Patty says, turning away. She heads to collect her borrowed wheelchair and then makes her way out of the yard with it.
[13:45] <Jessica> "Sure you do. If I die, you'll cry the most," replies Jessica, rolling her eyes.
[13:46] <Ui> Katie pats Jessica on the shoulder. "Nice sibling bonding moment."
[13:48] <Jessica> "It's a phase. She'll grow out of it," replies Jessica. "I think."
[13:53] <Ui> The rest of the sound check proceeds smoothly, with Andrew appearing partway through it. His role done with, Matt busies himself with doing what he can to get the speakers back in working order. Relaying the still-funcitonal power cables in place of the cut one throughout the yard is quite a chore, but he works at it despite the superficial complaints.
[13:56] <Jessica> Jessica makes sure to bring Matt a can of cola at some point, but most of her time is spent on the sound check itself. During a break in tuning, though, she leans over to Andrew- "What'd you get up to?"
[13:56] <Ui> "Oh, you know." He shrugs jerkily. "This and that. I'm sorry for being late, guys."
[13:57] <Jessica> "Hey, things happen, right? I know all about that."
[13:59] <Ui> "Yeah, whatever. Do it again and I drown you in the bathtub," Katie says ominously.
[13:59] <Ui> Andrew rolls his eyes. "Sure."
[14:05] <Jessica> "Hey guys!" yells Jessica, when the party has gotten crowded and it's time for them to start. She and Andrew stand at the front, side-by-side; only she has a microphone. Katie's at the back, behind a daunting array of drums and cymbals. Their stage lacks in decorations- it's not a paying gig, after all- but they make for it with enthusiasm!
[14:05] <Jessica> "Thanks to John for having us here, and grats on his graduation! We're Unacceptable Mustard, and this is to send you into summer, class of 2010!"
[14:05] <Jessica> Katie starts tapping her drumsticks in time, and Andrew's already practically bouncing. "One! Two! One two three four!" yells the drummer, and she and Andrew begin to blast out a rippingly fast-paced beat!
[14:05] <Jessica> o/"I'm telling you, I ain't gonna change-
[14:05] <Jessica> I got a feeling, that you don't want the same
[14:05] <Jessica> But this girl's got her heart set, and she's gonna hold the line!
[14:05] <Jessica> Back to front or face to face, I'm gonna make you mine! Yeah!o/"
[14:13] <Ui> Lost in her music, Jessica can only catch fragments of the world around her. Matt, off to the side and giving her a thumbs up when she looks at him. Her schoolmates, dancing or nodding their heads to the rhythm while drinking beverages that are surely in no way alcoholic. She even sees her diehard fans, although those would be hard to miss, out there in the open, right before the band.
[14:18] <Jessica> o/"I can't know what you're thinking, but I know I don't have long
[14:18] <Jessica> Because the world goes on around me, dragging you along
[14:18] <Jessica> It's up to you, to make a move, to overcome your fear!
[14:18] <Jessica> Get out of bed and stare straight ahead- I'm waiting for you right here!o/"
[14:18] <Jessica> Jessica focuses on her bass after the first couple choruses, sure she got the lines out right. The chorus is next, though-
[14:18] <Jessica> o/"I'm gonna stay forever!
[14:18] <Jessica>    Until your realise that I'm yours!
[14:18] <Jessica>    Wake up to the truth and you can see
[14:18] <Jessica>    The better place our world can be!o/"
[14:19] <Jessica> She lets it flow after that, it's her cue for a solo- you don't think at this stage. You just do.
[14:26] <Ui> It is intuition that causes Jessica to carry her eyes towards the sky, as ordered thought had left her. Still, the sight of a giant cat is entirely unexpected even in her state.
[14:28] <Jessica> She almost flubs her bass solo when she sees the cat in the sky, though her fingers have just enough autopilot to keep going on their own accord. What is that, like a balloon?
[14:38] <Jessica> The next verses aren't the ones Jessica is most proud of, but they're what she knows, and she sings them with as much gusto as the first! Andrew's really getting into it, she sees out the corner of her eye, hunched over and playing his strings like he's on crack; the reassuring thump of Katie helps her keep in time. It's all coming together.
[14:45] <Ui> It looks just like a rainbow, a crack in reality. Jessica dimly realizes that she is on her back, that the music has stopped, that her ears are ringing.

<--->

[14:50] <Jessica> Jessica presses her hands against the ground and tries to push herself up to a sitting position. Her head twists back and forth, but her vision is so hazy that vision is difficult..
[14:51] * Jessie clutches her head, wincing. Did she overdo it? She stumbles forward towards the stage, thankful there isn't anyone around for her to bump into. Is she better off than her alterego? She can't be sure.
[14:57] <Ui> Jessica's eyesight clears, even though her ears won't stop ringing. Raising herself to sit on the makeshift stage by the discarded bass, she sees only one person upright in the backyard. It is a girl in a black miniskirt laid over seethrough tights, similarly black vest and elegant elbow-length gloves adorning her top. A domino mask hides her identity, while genuine feline ears and tail complete the ensemble. A shapely blonde appears in the driveway, then, white mask complimenting her bunnygirl suit. She's smiling widely.
[14:59] <Jessica> "Wha.. where'd everyone go?" she asks, one of her hands scrabbling about and reaching to grasp her bass.
[15:00] * Jessie reaches out with her hand, willing some unseen force to push the bass away from Jessica's grasp. "Uh-uh-uh. You've been a lot of trouble for me already. I'm not taking any more goddamn chances with this."
[15:01] <Jessica> "Huh? I ain't done nothing!"
[15:02] <Ui> The bass's strap tears, and the musical implement is sent flying back. A girl is lying there, right by the drums. She is the only other one on stage.
[15:02] <Jessica> "T-the fuck-" Jessica tries to clamber to her feet.
[15:03] <Jessie> "Not my problem. I need you, and you're coming with me whether you like it or not!" Jessie charges at the stage, looking to tackle her counterpart!
[15:05] <Jessica> "You ain't- I ain't- what the hell!" yells Jessica, slinging a fist at the crazy girl charging towards her!
[15:10] * Jessie braces herself for the hit, making no attempt to dodge or defend herself-!
[15:10] <Ui> Jessica socks the catgirl right in the eye! Stars explode across her vision, and she feels herself get tackled into the stage!
[15:11] <Jessica> Jessica screams with all the force her well-trained lungs can muster, and her arms flail about to try and grapple her aggressor!
[15:12] <Jessie> "Gah!" Jessie grunts slightly, but she still has another eye to see with. Depth perception is for wimps, anyway, and she starts by trying to lift her doppelganger off the ground!
[15:16] <Ui> Lifting someone off the ground while grappling with them on it is a tricky proposition, although Jessie accomplishes it by rolling on her back and then exerting her strength to forcibly push Jessica up into the air. It shouldn't be possible. One moment, they were fighting as equals, and the other Jessica is utterly and completely overwhelmed, hoisted without any concern to dignity.
[15:17] <Jessie> "Hey, Barbie! Know any good places to drop her off?"
[15:18] <Jessica> "Let go of me, you freak!" yells Jessica, struggling helplessly in the air!
[15:18] <Ui> "Several!" the blonde bunnygirl responds excitedly. "Are we going to be torturing her, then?"
[15:19] <Jessica> "Matt! Matt! Kate! Where'd you go?!"
[15:20] <Ui> Groans. Jessica can hear them, now. Dangling within the catgirl's grip, she can see the gathered teens with her good eye, strewn up on the lawn.
[15:20] <Jessie> "Torture is such a brutal word. I'd prefer 'reconvince'."
[15:21] <Jessica> "What... what did you do..."
[15:21] <Jessica> There is a distinct quaver in Jessica's voice, and it's not hard to spot tears forming.
[15:21] <Jessie> "Huh. That way out won't work, then. The pier, then? There'll be a warehouse no-one's using, surely!"
[15:21] <Ui> "That's so wimpy!" the bunnygirl complains. "Didn't we say we would stick her full of needles?"
[15:24] <Jessie> "If it works, it works! Just remember it hurts for me, too!" Jessie accepts that forward isn't going to work as a direction anymore, and so settles for up instead, leaping back onto the roof of John the Elder!
[15:25] <Ui> The air whooshes by. She didn't even blink, but from being dangled in the air back on the stage, Jessica now finds herself held by the catgirl atop the house her band was performing at.
[15:26] <Jessica> "You- you- you're me..." blurts out Jessica, who bites back a shaky cough. "Why?"
[15:26] <Jessie> "Actually, would it be better to take her back to the hotel? You've got stuff there I can work with, right?"
[15:26] <Ui> "No pain, no glory!" the blonde calls eagerly, bouncing on the balls of her feet. "We can do that! It's a soundproofed suite!"
[15:27] * Jessie looks back at her other self, talking quieter. "Don't bother thinking about it. Took me eight years to get my head around this crap."
[15:27] <Jessica> "You're- you're not serious gonna torture me? What, why?" Jessica starts to laugh. "Who'd torture themselves- so it hurts for you too?"
[15:28] <Jessie> "Alright, don't take too long getting back!" Jessie starts the journey back to base, leaping from rooftop to rooftop, her alterego in tow all the while!
[15:28] <Jessica> "Hey, I'm talking to you!"
[15:29] <Jessie> "Oh, it'll hurt, yeah. But only for a while. 'Cause after so long, you won't be me anymore. But I'll be you."
[15:30] <Jessica> "Oh, thanks. This had better be worth it, you know?" Jessica can't really reach her opponent hoisting her up in front of her, but she sucks in her breath nonetheless, and then smashes the ridge of her hand into her own throat!
[15:32] * Jessie is caught off guard, suddenly grasping at her throat and losing her grip on Jessica!
[15:34] <Ui> Jessica falls. It is an impossible height. Not the apex of the leap by any count, but still above the roof. The height has to be forty feet, if not more. Tumbling breathlessly down, without controlling her fall... she can't survive. A normal person can't land from this height and be alright.
[15:37] <Jessica> It all makes sense, then. She'll have to control her fall. A glistening cloud of silvery butterflies swarms about her, forming on the edge of her arms into lightweight gauntlets, with long tubes pointing forward from her wrist. Her newfound equipment points straight down, and with a silver fire, they bring her movement to a graceful halt in mid-air.
[15:38] <Jessie> "Ack...ggk...you...idiot!" Jessie can't stop her momentum mid-leap with normal methods, so has to settle for the extraordinary. A pair of massive wings form on her back, and she swoops down to-wait, what?!
[15:39] <Jessie> "What the hell!? How did you...?!"
[15:39] <Jessica> Jessica glances from at her arms, kept carefully pointed towards the ground. "Groovy." She glances over her shoulder...
[15:41] <Ui> She remained afloat as long as she was perfectly still, but as soon as she starts moving around, Jessica begins losing altitude. She descends by a series of graceless drops, irregular but arresting her speed at each time.
[15:41] <Jessica> "Oh- wah, fuck!" Despite her best efforts, Jessica winds up landing on the grouind in a heap.
[15:42] <Ui> The teens littering the yard are starting to stir. The blonde bunnygirl is nowhere in sight.
[15:43] * Jessie stares dumbfounded at her counterpart. What is this? How is this happening? Could she have...no, that was impossible. She'd never have found out about it if she hadn't been told by...screw it, she'd have to compromise and make the most of her inexperience! She swoops in again to grab her off the ground!
[15:43] <Jessie> "Dammit, you weren't supposed to fight this much!"
[15:44] <Jessica> "Oh, you don't know me at all, huh?!" yells Jessica! The butterflies swirl about, discorporating the thrusters and forming a giant baseball bat!
[15:47] * Jessie figures she can't fly and block at once, so she allows the wings to dissipate as she descends while holding a hand out to block the oncoming attack!
[15:47] <Jessica> Jessica's bat swings wildly through the air, but as large as it is, it can't possibly miss-
[15:48] <Ui> The bat slams into the catgirl's outstretched hand! It hits without a doubt, and Jessica's arms hurt, her knees buckle-- the bat is destroyed! It turns into butterflies, which flees from the onslaught, and just past that gloved hand is a full-sized girl dropping right atop Jessica!
[15:50] <Jessica> Jessica leaps backwards from the oncoming girl, and although her knees are in pain, and her whole body is starting to seize up, she flies backwards at an impressive speed until she hits the back fence.
[15:51] <Ui> The guitarist from Jessica's band is lying some ten feet away, face down on the ground. His guitar is right next to him; he appears to have been thrown off the stage.
[15:52] <Jessica> Jessica's newfound enthusiasm vanishes in an instant, and her eyes are dragged unhappily towards him. "Andy!" she can't help but yell.
[15:53] <Jessica> The butterflies wink back into existence all around Jessica, and congregate in a swarm that begins to circle.
[15:54] <Jessie> "Gonna stop fighting now? You're only making this harder for both of us!" Jessie motions forwards, trying to pin her opponent against the fence!
[15:54] <Ui> The catgirl gestures, and a rainbow blast of force punches out towards Jessica!
[15:55] <Jessica> Jessica throws her hands out in a wild gesture, and the butterflies congregate around her fingertips to ward off the blast!
[15:57] <Jessie> "Heh, not bad! Where the hell did you get powers like that, anyway?"
[15:59] <Jessica> "Chakras! You know, you punch your neck, you get superpowers."
[15:59] <Jessica> "Hey. Hey. Truce," she adds, hastily. "Let's talk about this."
[16:00] <Jessie> "Damn, I'll have to keep that one in mind. I get my powers from dressing up like an idiot. And I figure we can talk perfectly fine like this, don't you?"
[16:01] <Jessica> "Ok. We can talk like this. I'm okay with that. So. You... want to torture me? Then steal my life? Do you do it in that order?"
[16:01] <Ui> Matt is sprawled out against a tree across the yard, both girls can see. More kids start moving, though none seem sensate enough just yet.
[16:02] <Jessie> "Well, that's assuming you don't cooperate. If you let us go to work with your brain without a fight, I guarantee it won't hurt any more than it has to."
[16:03] <Jessica> "Ok, I'm not cooperating. What's option b?"
[16:05] * Jessie looks toward the body on the floor a few feet away from Jessica. "I wonder if he'd be as good at blocking this attack as you. Wanna find out?"
[16:06] <Jessica> Jessica's eyes swivel towards the body, then towards her opponent. "Don't you dare," she replies, any trace of humour gone.
[16:07] <Jessie> "Hey, I've laid my cards on the table. Come along quietly, and no-one has to get hurt."
[16:09] <Jessica> "You're me, right?" replies Jessica, wringing her fingers.
[16:10] * Jessie nods. "Your point?"
[16:11] <Jessica> "So why do you want to be me? You are me, right?"
[16:11] <Jessica> "Can't you just go home or something? I mean, you don't really want to hurt anyone, right? Especially yourself."
[16:12] <Jessie> "That'd be lovely, really. Just that there's not much for me to go back to."
[16:12] <Jessica> "Huh?"
[16:13] <Jessie> "No Dad fighting to put criminals behind bars. No Mom hauling me off to stupid vacations every six months. No Matt to mock me whenever I'm out of tune, and no Patty to make me feel like I'm the sister of a little genius."
[16:14] <Jessica> Jessica's eyebrows rise a little higher. "Wha- what happened?"
[16:14] <Jessie> "Don't you get it? Where I'm from, they're gone. And I'm sick to death of watching you live the good life, not even stopping for one goddamn second to appreciate them!"
[16:15] * Jessie shakes slightly. "It...it was me. My fault. I'm...I dunno how to say it. I figure with all this magic floating about, it's not gonna be that big a jump for me to say I'm cursed, is it?!"
[16:15] <Jessica> Jessica's lips twist- briefly- into a sneer, which she does her level best to smooth over. "Matt's over there," she says, quietly. "He's awesome. He taught me how to play. Like, play for real. I wouldn't be on a stage here if it wasn't for him."
[16:16] <Jessica> "And you blew him up."
[16:18] * Jessie turns rigid at the sound of that. "S-Shut up! That's not my Matt! My Matt is the one who's always off recording with a new band every other week, always going on about how his sound is the next big thing and he's just not appreciated enough! He inspired me, alright, but it wasn't because he wanted me to - I just wanted to give him a taste of his own medicine for a change!"
[16:19] <Jessie> "...Of course, none of that mattered in the end. Now that I don't even have a Matt to outdo. Dammit, it was one stupid shortcut! How was I supposed to know that...that...!"
[16:19] * Jessie starts shaking visibly, and her force pinning Jessica down falters along with it!
[16:22] <Jessica> "Matt's awesome," repeats Jessica, walking slowly towards Jessie. "If he's not yours," she adds, gently. "Why do you want him back so bad you'd steal him from me?"
[16:24] <Jessie> "T-That's because...because..." Jessie steps back, suddenly afraid of her old self. The attack gives way entirely. This wasn't in the plan, none of it was in the plan. It was meant to be easy - grab her, wipe her head, go home. She wasn't meant to fight over it, and she definitely wasn't meant to think about it...
[16:27] <Jessie> It wasn't meant to be like this. In her head, she was just envisioning this alternate self as nothing. A shadow, an irrelevant offspring of what she could have been. Now, though - she had thoughts, feelings, emotions, and she knew from experience she could feel pain. Was she wrong all this ti-No. No, she wasn't. Even if she was, she couldn't afford to be. There's no way back, and nothing to go
[16:27] <Jessie> back to...
[16:28] <Jessica> "Don't tell me I don't appreciate my family. Not when you do things like this." Jessica continues to slowly advance, one step at a time. "I love my life. I won't give it up. I think you need to think about what you'd have to do to take it. Who you'd have to hurt." She spreads her arms. "Because if you do it like this, there won't be much left when you win."
[16:29] <Ui> The drummer girl lets out a moan, and then turns over, raising herself shaking on her hands.
[16:29] <Jessie> Just her luck. All of this would have been irrelevant if her opponent hadn't started spouting those goddamn butterflies. She really was cursed after all.
[16:30] <Jessica> "I... I don't know what it's like. To lose someone." Jessica glances to the side. "I'm sorry. I don't know how I'd feel- well, I guess I do, now... when did it happen?"
[16:31] * Jessie grits her teeth. She can't stay here any longer without being seen. She shoots Jessica one final look of scorn, but her eyes are clearly misting up. "Don't give me your goddamn pity!" She leaps upward to the rooftop, disappearing deeper into the city...
[16:33] <Jessica> "But you're me! I can't not!" yells Jessica, futilely.

<--->

[16:36] <Ui> The catgirl flees, without a glance back.
[16:37] <Jessica> Jessica stares after her for a long moment, but then her attention shifts back to the ground. She fumbles for her phone, but she can't stop shaking. But she has to call the ambulance. First thing. She's the only one here who can.
[16:40] <Ui> Her phone had been crushed. It still works by the sounds of it, but the touch screen is cracked, and she can't possibly see what she's typing, or if the sensors are even working properly.
[16:40] <Ui> "Fuck," Katie groans. "What the fuck?"
[16:42] <Jessica> She can hit 911, she thinks, how hard can it be? Three numbers! "Kate! Don't- don't try and move," she blurts out, and she starts walking around to check out the other kids- please don't let anyone be seriously hurt, please...
[16:44] <Ui> Most of them are stirring, though those who were too close to the spread-out speakers are still out of it. Matt happens to be one of them. Then, there is also Andrew. He fell badly, landing on his wrist. "What is your emergency?" Jessica hears through the phone. It's very quiet, as if the volume were lowered all the way down.
[16:45] <Jessica> "There was an explosion or something," replies Jessica, uncertain of how else to describe it. "We need- cops. Doctors. Lots of people are out. The address, um..."
[16:47] <Ui> The woman on the other end says something. "Explosion" is the word Jessica catches. It's hard to listen in, especially with more and more of the teens regaining their senses and going the range from complaints through curses to pained cries.
[16:48] <Jessica> "Yeah, an explosion!" replies Jessica, who repeats the address very loudly. "You gotta get here!"
[16:49] <Ui> "Andy!" Katie calls out. She's kneeling by the guitarist, who is now turned over on his back, freed from the harness of his guitar. His face is pale, and bone shards are protruding from his right hand.
[16:50] <Jessica> "Oh my god- you have to hurry! Did you hear me?" yells Jessica, barely coherent.
[16:51] <Ui> "their way," she thinks she hears. There is a steady build up of sound, like the static noise of a television not receiving properly.
[16:53] <Jessica> Jessica takes that as a confirmation, and drops her phone in lieu of running over to look at Andy. "Oh god..." she repeats, kneeling helplessly next to him and hoping it's only his wrist that's injured.
[16:54] <Ui> His breathing is shallow. Katie looks up, staring into Jessica's eyes. "What the fuck do we do?" she asks helplessly.
[16:55] <Jessica> "I called 911," she replies. "Is- I think he's only bleeding from his wrist. I think he might be okay if they get here soon."
[16:57] <Ui> "I think we need to stop the blood. I think." Katie removes her belt, and ties it around Andrew's forearm. She tightens it, gritting her teeth when he moans in pain.
[16:58] <Jessica> "Yeah. I think.. he can't go into shock. Cutting off the flow is right." She glances around, and gets up to run over to check on Matt.
[16:58] <Ui> There is drying blood on the back of Matt's head from where he hit the tree. It's not much, but Matt is insensate.
[17:01] <Jessica> Concussion, thinks Jessica, almost dropping next to him. He might be okay. Might. No way of knowing. She feels so helpless...
[17:01] <Jessica> She starts up. Where's Jay?
[17:02] <Ui> Sirens. She can hear sirens. How long has it been? Looking about, she can see Jay by Andrew's side. She's holding some cloth to her forehead.
[17:04] <Jessica> Jessica slowly walks over to her friends. "How are you guys feeling?" she murmurs.
[17:05] <Ui> Jay is crying. She tries to respond, but nothing coherent makes it past her mouth. "Like shit. You?" Katie asks listlessly.
[17:06] <Jessica> "Like that." She pauses. "Worse."
[17:09] <Ui> The yard is illuminated by flashing lights, now. Paramedics are the first to arrive, spreading out into the yard in groups of two and three. Cops arrive on their heels, just as the emergency personnel sort through the injured. The pair working on Andrew ask when the blood flow was stemmed, make a mark of the time and then put him on a stretcher. Another puts a blanket over Jay, leading her away to a lawn chair.
[17:09] <Jessica> "Patty was right. We're idiots," murmurs Jessica.
[17:12] <Ui> There are too many witnesses, and the scene is chaotic. It takes a while for an officer to reach Jessica, and when one does, she can see her father walk up the driveway, stern-faced.
[17:12] <Jessica> Jessica stares up at her father, feeling a sudden dread.
[17:15] <Ui> "What happened here?" he asks. The officer takes out his pad, ready to write, but submits to Norman Fields's questioning.
[17:15] <Ui> "I need to hear all that you remember, Jessica."
[17:16] <Jessica> "I know," replies Jessica. Of course she knows. But how can she possibly tell such a crazy story? What if the truth came out? She can't... "I know," she repeats. "We were playing, up there. The next thing I know, I'm on my back. On stage. And everyone's all messed up."
[17:21] <Ui> "You called about a bomb," Norman says. "And your call was the first, by several minutes. Jessica, if you know more...." He trails off, glancing at the yard. The power to speakers and lighting is cut; there is a hole dug into the dirt, where Jessica remembers keeping herself afloat.
[17:25] <Jessica> "I got up first," replies Jessica. "I know that. My ears were ringing. I kinda just.. stared for a bit. Look around to see if people were alright." Jessica pauses. "Before the concert, we found out someone sabotaged the wires. And Katie said she talked to someone who looked like me. Just, with black hair. Like the girl who punched me yesterday."
[17:26] <Jessica> This is all stuff Katie would say later. Or Jay might remember it. It would all come out. It all will, eventually. Once she thinks of a way to deal with it all, she'll tell everyone everything...
[17:26] <Ui> Her father and the officer exchange looks. "Katie Garrison, the drummer in Jessica's band," Norman says, pointing her out to the cop.
[17:26] <Ui> "Sabotaged the wires how?" the policeman asks.
[17:27] <Jessica> "Um... they'd been cut. Near the speakers," replies Jessica. "The sound wasn't going through."
[17:29] <Ui> "Did you tape them back together?" Norman asks, his voice disapproving.
[17:29] <Jessica> "We brought up some spares, and Matt set it all up," replies Jessica, shrinking.
[17:33] <Ui> "That was--" Norman cuts himself off. "We'll talk about that at home." He wraps his arms around Jessica. "I'm just glad you are safe."
[17:34] <Jessica> "I'm sorry," replies Jessica, starting to cry. "Matt's not okay. It's all my fault, I should've called you and cancelled, I knew something was weird but-"
[17:35] <Ui> "Shh. It's alright. We can't change the past, honey. Matt and Patty will be alright. Your mother is going to watch over them."
[17:35] <Ui> The officer steps back, Jessica dimly sees, heading towards Katie.
[17:36] <Jessica> "We can't.. change the past..." murmurs Jessica, hugging Norman back, but something seems off. "Patty? But Patty left..."
[17:37] <Ui> "What are you talking about?" Norman asks. "Your mother dropped her off earlier this evening."
[17:38] <Jessica> "But she came by to drop off a speaker in the afternoon. Then she went home," replies Jessica. "Is she alright?!"
[17:40] <Ui> "She stayed to watch your...." Norman trails off, looking down at Jessica. "When was the last time you saw your sister?"
[17:41] <Jessica> "Patty hates me," replies Jessica, sounding listless. "Why would she stay? She left after we realised the wires were cut."
[17:43] <Ui> Norman takes out his cellphone, dialing a number. It starts ringing....
[17:45] <Jessica> Jessica bites her lip. This is insane. She has to tell her dad what actually happened. That girl can fly! And take out everyone without a scratch. But she'll need proof, or they'll just think she's crazy. Those butterflies would be proof, maybe. If one kind of magic exists, you have to consider other kinds, right? But how did she even get them in the first place...
[17:47] <Ui> "Patty, honey, please call me as soon as you hear this," Norman speaks. "Immediately. Do you understand? I love you."
[17:48] <Jessica> Patty's gone. Vanished. No... "What about mom? Did you talk to her?" asks Jessica.
[17:50] <Ui> "She's almost at San Francisco General," her father responds. "I can't... leave here," he continues, struggling to get the words out. "I need you to stay by my side. Do you understand?" Her father is repeating himself, a sign of agitation Jessica had not seen in him in years, now.
[17:53] <Jessica> "Okay," replies Jessica. It's only a matter of time until her twin comes after her again. Who knows what she might do? She's obviously disturbed, she can't be predicted.
[17:54] <Ui> With Jessica in tow, Norman Fields starts walking towards Katie....

<--->

Corwin

<--->

[14:17] <Ui> Jessica is with her father as Katie is questioned, her statement taken. She is with him through his examination of the crime scene, and as he meets the owners of the house, a middle aged couple, the mother crying nonstop and dabbing at her eyes with a handkerchief. Katie and Jay had left partway, their parents coming for them, but Jessica can't think about that. She can only follow her father around in a sort of daze.
[14:17] <Ui> "We have enough," her father finally tells her, after going over final details with the officers. "Let's go to the hospital and help your mother."
[14:19] <Jessica> "Right... what about Matt's car?" asks Jessica, her mind still locked in the memories of just a couple of hours ago.
[14:21] <Ui> Norman runs a hand through his hair, sliding it back. "We'll get it in the morning. We--" He shakes his head. "I'll ask someone to take a look at it for sabotage, then we'll take it back. But not tonight."
[14:23] <Jessica> Jessica nods. For now, she just doesn't have any words that can express how she's feeling...
[14:30] <Ui> The silence of the trip is interrupted by a call. "Norman, we found Patty," a female voice says. Jessica recognizes it as Lieutenant Marks, one of her father's friends on the force.
[14:30] <Ui> "Where?" he asks, swerving to pause by the side of the road in a maneuver that is not strictly legal. "Is she alright, Lisa?"
[14:31] <Ui> "We're bringing her to General," Lisa says, hurrying to add, "but she's fine, Norman. Just get here safely, and I'll meet you there."
[14:32] <Jessica> That, at least, is something to be thankful for. But where'd she go in the meanwhile? As long as that... other Jessica didn't get to her...
[14:35] <Ui> Norman puts the car back into gear, and they resume their drive. He seems to know where to go, and following him, Jessica soon sees her mother who comes out to meet them in the hallway. Past the open door, she can see Matt lie on one of the beds, his head bandaged. His eyes are closed.
[14:36] <Jessica> The sight of her brother makes Jessica want to cry again, and while she tries to fight it, she can't escape a few miserable tears seeping from her eyelids. "How- Mom, what did the doctors say?" she asks, choking up.
[14:39] <Ui> Susan reaches for Jessica to hug her daughter, bringing Jessica's head to her shoulder. "That Matt is a strong, healthy boy. He will be just fine with some rest, you'll see," she says, her own voice tight.
[14:41] <Jessica> "Yeah, totally. What could get Matt down for long?" replies Jessica, hugging her mother back. Her head slackens against her mother, and she feels a sudden weakness.
[14:47] <Ui> She catches snippets. "Norman, Patty--" "Yes, she should be getting here soon--" They are a distraction, an unneeded one when the comfort of protective warmth and weakness war within her for dominance. Footsteps. Someone is talking to her father; they greet her mother. It sounds like that cop, Marks.
[14:47] <Ui> Her father is touching Jessica's shoulder. "Why don't you and your mother go see Patty?" he's asking. "I'll be here for Matt."
[14:50] <Jessica> That sounds like a great idea. See the sister that hates her, and will probably blame her, now. Well, it is her fault, sort of. Jessica nods. "Is she out the front?"
[14:53] <Ui> "At the examination rooms. She woke up on the way," the lieutenant responds. "I've got a few uniforms there on watch."
[14:53] <Ui> "Thank you," Susan tells her, getting a nod back, and pats Jessica's hand. "Let's go."
[14:53] <Jessica> "Woke up? What happened to her?" asks Jessica, with a sudden urgency.
[15:00] <Ui> The lieutenant shrugs helplessly. "She wouldn't say." Susan takes this as her cue to be on her way, forcing Jessica to keep up. Finding her sister is easy -- the cops direct them to the right room. It is rather small, and Patty is the only patient in it. She is clad in a hospital garb, her clothes gathered in a pile on one of the chairs. Jessica recognizes them from what Patty was wearing earlier that day. Patty looks up as Susan and Jessica enter the examination room after a knock, closing the door behind them. Her face is sour.
[15:00] <Ui> "Patty!" Susan exclaims, enveloping her in a hug.
[15:00] <Ui> Patty is silent for a long while, before exhaling slowly. "Hi mom," she says quietly.
[15:01] <Jessica> Nobody could look at Jessica and think for a second she wasn't concerned and miserable. Nobody. But she can't even find a word to greet Patty with, beyond a tiny wave.
[15:02] <Ui> Patty hesitates, spotting Jessica.
[15:04] <Jessica> "W.. what happened?" asks Jessica, walking slowly towards the bed. "Are you alright?"
[15:06] <Ui> Patty lowers her eyes, and her hands clutch onto Susan's sides tighter.
[15:06] <Ui> Susan looks up, concerned, and asks, "What's wrong, Honey?"
[15:06] <Ui> Patty doesn't answer, merely shaking her head.
[15:10] <Jessica> Why? Why's Patty seem so scared of her? It has to be something to do with the other Jessica, what else can it be? Jessica retreats a moment, and stares at her hands. Would a butterfly come now, if she called?
[15:15] <Ui> Patty's head snaps up, and she tears herself out of Susan's embrace. "You! It's you!" she cries out, balling her hands into fists. "I won't let you touch Mom!"
[15:15] <Ui> Purple butterflies flutter in Jessica's hands, mesmerizingly beautiful.
[15:18] <Jessica> The butterflies drift about her fingertips, vibrant yet ethereal. "No, you're wrong! I'm not her!" she replies, shaking her head.
[15:22] <Ui> Patty breathes heavily, taking in deep gulps of air. The doctor looks at her with concern, but she scrambles back on the bed, eyes focused on the butterflies in Jessica's cupped hands.
[15:22] <Ui> "Patty? Jessica?" Susan asks, looking between the two. She reaches out for Patty once more, before recoiling as if struck. A strange smell permeats the air. Jessica remembers it, usually from thunderstorms. The smell of ozone....
[15:24] <Jessica> Jessica cups the butterflies, which are snuffed out in wisps of light. "It's not- I never did anything wrong with these. It's the other me," she replies, biting her lip. "I wouldn't ever hurt anyone..."
[15:26] <Ui> Patty's eye narrow into slits. The butterflies become motes of charming purple fireflies, which in turn burn out entirely. As the last of them disappears, Patty's eyes close and she falls forward bonelessly. Susan catches her in time, staring at Patty in shock. The doctor is also there, then, laying Patty back and taking her vitals.
[15:27] <Jessica> Jessica presses her face into her hands.
[15:31] <Ui> Jessica and Susan are, gently but firmly, evicted from Patty's room once the resident doctor ascertains that there is no danger to her life. They retreat to a small room with a television, reserved for visitors to spend time with in-patients. Susan asks Jessica to get a soda for her from the vending machine.
[15:31] <Ui> As Jessica returns from that task, walking mechanically, she can hear her mother sob quietly.
[15:33] <Jessica> Jessica gets one for herself, as well. After cracking open Susan's and passing it over to her, she does the same for hers- though somehow, she doesn't get around to taking a sip. "Mom, I- I have- I've got to tell you something," she manages, after a period of silence.
[15:34] <Ui> "What is it, Jessica?" Susan asks tiredly, nursing her own drink.
[15:37] <Jessica> Jessica straightens. "The other me. She wants to get rid of me and take my place," she replies, slowly. "She's who hit me. She's who... messed up the concert. And I think she did something to Patty. And I- how can I- she was going to take me away, but when I get hurt she gets hurt so I hurt myself and she dropped me and-"
[15:37] <Jessica> She cups her hands again. "Magic. Huh."
[15:38] <Ui> Susan remains silent.
[15:39] <Jessica> "I.. I was going to tell you. Once I figured out how to say it. It was just so.. fast..."
[15:42] <Ui> Once more, no response comes from Susan. She is holding onto her drink, staring at it.
[15:43] <Jessica> "And now I just don't know what's going to happen," she continues, staring fixatedly at the floor.
[15:46] <Ui> "It will be alright," Susan states. Jessica can feel her strong gaze upon her, now. "Everything will be alright in the end. Let's talk about this in the morning, Jessica. We're too tired now, and... let's just talk tomorrow."
[15:48] <Jessica> Jessica finally feels able to bring the can to her lips, and manages to take a sip. The cool liquid is invigorating. "I love you, mom," she says, after another silence.
[15:52] <Ui> Morning comes. The night did not provide much rest, with the Fields family holed up in the hospital. With Matt and Patty remaining unconscious through the night, along with the adverse reaction to Jessica by the latter, each received a private recovery room next to each other. Jessica and her parents received a third one nearby, and at some point Jessica drifted off into sleep. A light crash is what awakens her; it sounded like water spilling outside the room.
[15:54] <Jessica> Jessica starts upright- she's just lying on a bed, without bothering with blankets or a change of clothes.
[15:56] <Ui> A muffled curse sounds past the closed door. She is alone, a note lying on a chair next to the bed, pressed down by a ballpoint pen. It is from her mother, saying that she is with Matt.
[15:56] <Jessica> Jessica gets up and pads towards the door, opening it to peer outside.
[15:58] <Ui> A man is mopping up the floor in the corridor. His bucket is overturned, though Jessica can manage to avoid the larger puddles if she tries. There is a cop seated ouside Patty's room, between Jessica's and Matt's.
[16:00] <Jessica> Jessica steps gingerly around the puddles, and heads towards Matt's door. She knocks before entering.
[16:02] <Ui> Her mother is there, answering the knock. She's seated by Matt's side, holding his hand in hers. He looks just like he had the night before, peaceful and silent.
[16:03] <Jessica> "Hey," says Jessica, no longer quite so despondant. "Did Dad go to see the cops?"
[16:08] <Ui> "He's helping with the investigation," Susan responds, "which means he can't tell me the details."
[16:09] <Jessica> "I can- I can tell him everything that happened properly, so..." replies Jessica. "I have to tell him. And you. And Matt, and Patty..."
[16:09] <Jessica> Jessica shakes her head. "I'm alright, now. I've got it sorted."
[16:10] <Ui> "Magic," Susan says quietly, making it a question.
[16:11] <Jessica> "I don't really know how or why. Just that I can," replies Jessica, taking a seat. "And so can she..."
[16:14] <Ui> "And you can prove it?"
[16:14] <Jessica> "Yeah."
[16:15] <Ui> "Is it... dangerous?" Susan asks, turning to look at Jessica. "To you, or to others, or to electonics?"
[16:17] <Jessica> "I don't know," replies Jessica. "I don't know. I tried something in the other room, and Patty just-" She shudders. "I didn't mean it. I didn't. I swear. But I can definately prove it. Maybe at a safe distance or something. Not in a hospital."
[16:31] <Ui> Susan thinks for a few moments. "We need a change of clothing," she says finally. "Let's go home and pick it up together? You could show everything to me then."
[16:35] <Jessica> "Alright. Um. Shouldn't we call dad?"
[16:38] <Ui> "Let's not keep him from his work right now," Susan responds. "You know how he gets. He really needs to focus on something right now."
[16:38] <Ui> Getting home is a simple affair, consisting of informing the cop where they are headed and how Susan can be reached, before proceeding to the hospital's parking lot, where Susan's car awaits.
[16:40] <Jessica> "My phone got crushed," Jessica can't help but say, reminded of it when details are exchanged. "I'm gonna need a new one, especially now..."
[16:42] <Ui> "We can pick one up, Dear," Susan says absent-mindedly. "Or-- I think Patty had her old one lying around somewhere. She would just say how easy it is to replace the cards...." Susan trails off, sniffling.
[16:44] <Jessica> "She'll be fine, Mom. Where're we gonna go to show off?" When they reach the car, Jessica goes through the practiced motions of helping Susan into the car, and storing the chair at the back.
[16:45] <Ui> "The back yard," Susan responds. "Is that good enough?"
[16:46] <Jessica> "Yeah, it'll do. I think it's pretty controllable," replies Jessica, strapping herself into the passenger seat once she's done. "Watch from inside the house, okay?"
[16:48] <Ui> The drive is over with quickly, and Susan positions herself within the house, by a window with a great view of the back yard. After brief consideration, the older woman decided to keep it opened and the glass out of the way.
[16:50] <Jessica> Jessica got herself cleaned up and changed, and she wears just a light shirt and another of her many pairs of jeans. She heads outside, standing in the middle of the Fields' slightly overgrown backyard; there's no shortage of grass, and a few small trees about, as well as a massive, towering pine. Breathing slowly, she spreads her hands, calling the butterflies to her once more...
[16:52] <Ui> They appear, first at the edge of her vision, fleeting and gone by the time she turns to look at them. But then, they arrive in force, surrounding her!
[16:53] <Jessica> They don't hurt her, she knows. She lets them spread about, until they cover the curves of her body, stretching her arms out wide so that they form a suit about her, covering everything but her head.
[16:55] <Ui> They seem to merge, into one another, into Jessica. A suit of purple that Jessica knows no weapon forged by mortals can harm.
[16:55] <Ui> "Are you starting now, Honey?" Susan calls out from the house."
[16:56] <Jessica> "You can't see this?" asks Jessica, spinning about and gesturing to the purple that drapes all about her.
[16:57] <Ui> Susan remains silent. Mid-spin, Jessica can see her bite on a nail.
[16:58] <Jessica> Something more dramatic. Jessica points a finger towards one of the smaller trees, not far off; a swarm of butterflies with wings like glass stream towards the branches, and she aims to slice many off the top!
[17:01] <Ui> The suit surrounding her break up in a flash of purple, and the butterflies swarm on, trampling each other in a rush to do her bidding! Susan gasps when branch after branch begins littering the floor, some disintegrating en route as they cross the stream of butterflies.
[17:04] <Jessica> The butterflies apart from her begin to fade away once their deadly duty is done, becoming transparent before vanishing without a trace. Another swarm forms about her, soon solidifying into the familiar gauntlets that encase her arms. "Can you see this?" she calls, waving one hand.
[17:05] <Ui> Susan is squinting her eyes, Jessica can see.
[17:06] <Jessica> Jessica points her hands towards the ground, and decides to try taking it easy, this time. Sparks flicker to life within the silvery gauntlets, and a low flame burns, slowly pushing her off the ground in an attempt at levitation.
[17:07] <Ui> Solid concentration is all it takes to levitate a foot off the ground!
[17:08] <Jessica> Jessica looks up at her mother once more!
[17:09] <Ui> Looks down, more like. Susan is below, staring at Jessica open-mouthed.
[17:10] <Jessica> Slow movements. Jessica tilts the gauntlets on a slight angle, hoping to be able to shift a little to the side. A few minutes might be spent on getting slow, low-altitude hovering to a tee.
[17:13] <Ui> Slow-wobbling movement is achieved, as long as Jessica puts her everything into it.
[17:14] <Jessica> She touches down again after just a little while, and glances at the ground to see if it survived her little journey around the yard.
[17:16] <Ui> It is a good thing she did not look at the ground during her flying experiment. It looks like someone worked it over with a shovel or a hoe.
[17:18] <Jessica> Landing on the ground, Jessica stretches her arms once again, gathering another flock of silvery butterflies to her fingertips. She stares at the sky, scanning it for clouds.
[17:20] <Ui> "What are you doing now, Jessica?" Susan calls out, as Jessica sees plenty above, one even shaped like a rabbit.
[17:21] <Jessica> "I'm gonna see if I can touch the sky. Because if that's not a limit, what is?" replies Jessica, eyeing the rabbit balefully. The butterflies spread out and fly towards it in a wave, and she aims to try and cut the cloud in half!
[17:24] <Ui> The cloud is bisected, ripping violently, and so do others lined up with it as Jessica's butterflies extend in an endless wave, ever-expanding!
[17:25] <Jessica> Belatedly, Jessica wonders if she might have caused some meteorlogical disaster. What was it about a single flap of a butterfly's wings? That might be enough experimentation for one day...
[17:28] <Ui> Susan is on her phone, Jessica notices as she banishes the butterflies back to the place they rest, awaiting to serve their mistress.
[17:29] <Jessica> Jessica starts to head back inside, intending to join her mother within.
[17:30] <Ui> "Your father will be home soon," Susan tells Jessica, sounding strange. "You'll have to show him, too. Oh, but not the... flying...." She struggles over the word. "I thought my heart would stop."
[17:32] <Jessica> "Sure. I can do that," replies Jessica. "Or, um, not do it. Whatever you want." She pauses. "I need to get the hang of this. We should go.. like, out. To the national park or something." She pauses. "Did you see the butterflies?"
[17:32] <Ui> "Butterflies?"
[17:33] <Jessica> "Yeah, butterflies. When I do things, it's like I can see butterflies," replies Jessica. "They help me fly, or they swarm out and strike things. But you can't see them?"
[17:35] <Ui> Susan shakes her head slowly. "Not the... butterflies, no."
[17:36] <Jessica> "Just.. tell me I'm not crazy, and I wasn't just running around like an idiot out there."
[17:38] <Ui> "I saw you fly," Susan says in that same strange, detached voice. "And that tree...."
[17:41] <Jessica> "Yeah. I figured something dramatic like that would be proof," mumbles Jessica, heading into the kitchen to get something to drink.
[17:45] <Ui> Susan ends up getting a drink as well, and Jessica sees her eyes stray towards the liquour cabinet briefly. Norman arrives. After a hushed exchange with him, Susan nods at Jessica. "Go ahead, Dear."
[17:46] <Jessica> Jessica is unsettled. Her mother's always been a bastion of confidence, and there was nothing that ever phased her in the past. Somehow, she thought that she'd even take magic with her usual vigor. Perhaps she would, if the circumstances weren't so wrong. (More)
[17:47] <Jessica> Jessica heads outside, and proceeds to destroy several more trees, they being easily placed for a simple demonstration. One is crushed under the weight of her butterfly-forged baseball bat, while the other is carved apart by a swarm of gently-glowing butterflies.
[17:49] <Ui> Jessica's bat demolishes the tree far too quickly. No ordinary bat would have managed that, she knows. Susan gasps when the glowing butterflies consume another tree as locusts, leaving nothing behind. Through it all, Norman remains silent, lips pursed.
[17:50] <Jessica> Jessica walks back inside the house after that. Unable to feel proud or excited, she fixates on the ground. "Um. Dad. I think I need to, uh, amend my statement," she mumbles.

<--->

Corwin

<--->

[13:47] <Ui> Her father is speechless in his quiet, closed off way. At Jessica's question, a change comes over him and he nods stiffly. A recorder is produced, one of those flash drives with a microphone, and he says, "Go on, Jessica," as he hits the red 'record' button.
[13:54] <Jessica> "Oh, yeah..." Jessica eyes the recorder nervously, hardly certain she wants this to go beyond her family. Even if her father is the DA. Still...
[13:54] <Jessica> "After the explosion, I was knocked out, I think, or close enough. When I picked myself up, there were these two girls in weird outfits in the yard. One in, like, a playboy bunny suit, and the other was in something similar, except modeled after a cat. And they had these ridiculous masks on. I don't know who the bunnygirl was, but the catty one is the other me. I know because her voice was
[13:54] <Jessica> the same, and I saw her before and so did a couple of my friends. She looks just like me, but with black hair, but I'm getting away from what happened."
[13:54] <Jessica> She shudders, and sits herself on one of the kitchen chairs. "It's so weird to think about."
[13:56] <Ui> "Your attacker?" Norman confirms, businesslike. "The same one who later approached Katie Garrison?"
[13:57] <Jessica> "Later? I think she talked to Katie earlier?" asks Jessica. "Before the gig, right?"
[13:58] <Ui> Norman clears his throat. "I referred to the attack on you the day before. This was the same person, correct?"
[13:59] <Jessica> "Yeah, the other me, it was definately her."
[14:00] <Ui> He nods, while Jessica's mother looks on worriedly. "What happened next?"
[14:02] <Jessica> "She said some stuff about how she was going to take me away, and she jumped on me and overpowered me. They talked about dropping me off someplace, and the bunnygirl seemed real enthusastic about torture. With needles. They wanted to go someplace out of the way for that." Her eyes trail to the knife stand on the bench, and she winces internally. "Then, she picked me up and started jumping
[14:02] <Jessica> away. I'm talking, like, jumping from roof to roof."
[14:02] <Jessica> "They said some weird stuff, next. Like, they kept talking about torture, and the girl said 'it hurts for me too!' And I'd noticed that she was a bit dazed earlier, I think, just after the explosion. I had this idea, right? That when I get hurt, she gets hurt. And she was gonna take me away someplace and... I don't even want to know," she continues, clasping her hands on her shoulders. "So I
[14:02] <Jessica> did, uh, this," she adds, miming a chop to her own neck. "It totally worked! I guess I could've picked a better place than in midair, but you know, haha, desperate times!"
[14:07] <Ui> Her parents listen attentively, though none of them so much as crack a smile at this.
[14:08] <Jessica> "Basically right after that, I figured out I had these butterflies," continues Jessica. "And I can use them to.. do stuff. Like hover. I didn't wanna hit the ground, so I used these jets to hover like that. You know that big hole in the yard? I think I did that, it's right under where I was flying. Then I landed, and she came after me. And we fought."
[14:08] <Jessica> Jessica stares at her hands for a moment. "It was like a comic book. With cheesy one-liners and everything. But then she threatened Andy, and I guess you could say we started negotiations. She told me want she wants. And what she's gonna do. And why. All that."
[14:10] <Ui> "What does she want?" Norman asks. Susan is pale, Jessica sees.
[14:12] <Jessica> "She wants to take my place. I think that's the basic idea. She needs to kidnap me and mess with my head or something, you know, because it'd be inconvenient to have two of us running around and I guess she can't just kill me. It's like... she's me, right? Except eight years ago, where she's from... you know, paralell universes or something. Alternate time-streams? Some sci-fi thing? So anyway,
[14:12] <Jessica> I think it was eight years ago because she said something about eight years earlier, but I guess it could've been more!"
[14:12] <Jessica> Jessica stops, and presses her hands onto the table, and she murmurs something too quiet for anyone to hear.
[14:13] <Ui> Her father obliges, asking, "What was that?"
[14:14] <Jessica> "That you were all gone," whispers Jessica. "Where she came from, something happened, and she got left alone."
[14:17] <Ui> Another silence greets this announcement, and this time no one speaks to break it.
[14:19] <Jessica> "It got me wondering, after. She's me, so if I was in her position, would I be doing the same things? But even thinking about that is kinda sick..." wonders Jessica, opening her hands and staring at them. "Oh. Anyway. I got rid of her by freaking her out, that time. She'd hurt Matt, and I told her that if she, you know, wants my life, why's she hurting the people in it? She had some meltdown
[14:19] <Jessica> and flew away. I think the rest is pretty much how I said it."
[14:22] <Ui> "Flew away?" Her father asks.
[14:22] <Jessica> "Or jumped? I'm not sure," replies Jessica. "I figure she can fly if she wants. I think I can."
[14:25] <Ui> He clicks the stop button.
[14:25] <Jessica> "I know she's really like me, because why else would she act like this? I don't get it..." replies Jessica. "No, maybe I do get it. Maybe I get her."
[14:29] <Ui> Her parents exchange a look.
[14:32] <Jessica> "She must've done something to Patty, too, that's why she freaked out," continues Jessica, almost talking to herself by now. "This is... this is bad. She was gonna just drag me off. But she doesn't care if other people get in her way. And with the butterflies, she probably can't just beat me into submission. Not now. So... so what would I- I mean, she- do next? She'd... I don't think she'd..."
[14:32] <Jessica> Jessica presses her fingers into the table, staring at the shiny surface. "Probably... threats. Threats again. Maybe on people I know. Maybe not. I can't take this, she could be anywhere, doing anything, to anyone!"
[14:37] <Ui> "You--" Norman starts saying, before cutting himself off. "We. We all have to calm down," he says, and the words have a visibly cathartic effect on Susan, who takes Jessica's hand and presses it to her cheek.
[14:38] <Jessica> Jessica finds herself nodding. Her hand is very cold, perhaps matching Susan's face. "Yeah. Yeah, that's right," she says, taking a deep breath.
[14:41] <Ui> Norman keeps on speaking. "I have something to look into now. An avenue of investigation. Someone who flies around or jumps across rooftops can't stay hidden, and we'll get on her trail."
[14:42] <Jessica> "Ok. I need to talk to her. I think I can convince her," murmurs Jessica.
[14:44] <Ui> "To what? Not hurt her family? She needs to be convinced of that?" Susan asks quietly.
[14:44] <Ui> "No, this is a good plan," Norman tells his wife. "We might have something better once we learn more, but right now... as long as this person thinks she can't hurt Jessica and she can't abduct her, either, it's best that she focuses on her. And that it happens where we can see and help her, or set up an ambush."
[14:45] <Ui> "What are you saying?"
[14:45] <Ui> "It's our best option right now. If you tell her no and Jessica decides to go and do it, how can you stop her?"
[14:45] <Ui> Susan looks up at Jessica at that.
[14:47] <Jessica> "We can't.. you know, make her stop. If she gets hurt when I get hurt, and I get hurt when she gets hurt, we can't force her," replies Jessica. "Though, you know, I don't even think the cops could if they tried. And if she fought back..."
[14:47] <Jessica> "So she has to stop on her own. And I think only I can convince her. No, maybe not me. She's jealous of me. But maybe you guys..."
[14:48] <Ui> "I agree," Norman says in support. Susan's head drops.
[14:50] <Jessica> "She might... you know. Contact us on her own," murmurs Jessica. "You've got to be nice to her if she does. You can't set her off. She... really wants a family again."
[14:55] <Ui> Her father is about to speak when his phone rings. "Yes, this is he. Yes. She did? I'll be right there. Yes, thank you." The conversation is brief, but he smiles down at Jessica as it ends. "Patty woke up again. I'll go talk to her in the hospital. Susan--"
[14:55] <Ui> "I'll stay here with Jessica," she says. "Just in case."
[14:55] <Ui> "Just in case," Norman agrees.
[14:57] <Jessica> "Ok. Uh... who should we tell about this? I keep thinking I should tell my friends to get out of town or something, and it'd be so bad if it got on the news... and it might..."
[15:01] <Ui> "If she is from... another world," Susan says, struggling with the words, "then leaving town wouldn't help, Honey."
[15:01] <Ui> "We'll keep it to us for now," Norman adds. "At least until we're all back for the evening."
[15:05] <Jessica> "Ok. Can you call if Patty tells you something new?"
[15:08] <Ui> Her father kisses Jessica on the forehead, gives her an encouraging smile, and then he's off.
[15:11] <Jessica> "We'll figure this out," she says to Susan, deciding to head to the fridge and get them both a glass of juice. "If she came from somewhere, then she can probably, you know, go back there, too, somehow. I don't think she'd *want* to hurt people, not really..."
[15:16] <Ui> Susan nods weakly. It is the most lifeless Jessica had ever seen her mother, including that time right after the accident where she wasn't supposed to be sneaking into the hospital all on her own.
[15:21] <Jessica> It's unsettling, and Jessica reaches out to grip her mother's hand once the drinks are poured. "They said Matt will get better, right? I think Patty will be okay, too," she says, giving it a squeeze.
[15:28] <Ui> Susan needs a rest, a fact plain as day. As she settles down to recover and process recent events properly, Jessica makes her way into Patty's room for the second time in a long while. It is just as orderly and clean as she remembers it.
[15:30] <Jessica> Jessica *badly* needs a phone and the only free one is in this room, or so she suspects. Going through her sister's belongings doesn't leave her feeling particularly honorable, but this is an emergency! Checking through her desk will come first, followed by the closets.
[15:33] <Ui> She can find no phone in the drawers she can open, although one is locked, Jessica learns. The closet contains a surprise; beyond the first layer, clothing Jessica is used to seeing Patty in, are several daring outfits that no one her age should have. Jessica would bet her monthly allowance that their parents don't know about those.
[15:36] <Jessica> This is rather surprise. Who knew Patty wanted to grow up that fast? More importantly, who's she wearing these for? These mysteries, however, will have to be answered later, as Jessica has a phone to find! Where else could one be? The bookshelves? Some stash of old hardware Patty keeps lying around?
[15:42] <Ui> The downside of the order Patty keeps with her things is that where it comes to something outside it, such as an old phone which has outlived its usefulness, Jessica can't even begin to think where it would fit.
[15:44] <Jessica> It doesn't make much sense for Patty to lock away an old phone. Her sister would probably just throw it out, come to think of it. Still, Jessica's abiding curiosity returns her interest to the locked drawer. What would her sister want to hide? It might be important, and she certainly needs to know if Patty's been affected by her double! Maybe something is in there, and Patty's not here to give
[15:44] <Jessica> her permission in the interests of security, so... Jessica begins trying to figure out if she can get to the contents without breaking it open!
[15:46] <Ui> It is the top drawer, so getting at it by removing something above it wouldn't work. She could probably crack the bottom open and then reseal it, but anything kept within would be impossible to return to their original position.
[15:52] <Jessica> It'd leave the desk more intact than not, and it really is a bit late to worry about privacy. She'll just 'fess up when she sees Patty again, if it comes down to it, so Jessica begins setting about her improptu carpentry.
[15:59] <Ui> The contents are a key and a small leather-bound book. A diary, Jessica is certain.
[16:00] <Jessica> Jessica boldly resolves to only read the most recent pages, because she would never invade her sister's privacy to satisfy only her own curiosity.
[16:03] <Ui> It is indeed a diary. Her little sister comes off depressed in those pages; the word despair and its many variations come up a lot, as well as mentions of dead ends. Rather than an exaggerated cry for help, the recent entries are all written in resignation and even acceptance.
[16:04] <Jessica> But what? Why? Her sister has everything going for her in life, so... The reason should be mentioned somewhere in these pages. Maybe if she checks a little further back...
[16:08] <Ui> Jessica reads back, finding pages upon pages of Patty detailing her life. The events are normal enough, but the tone is gloomy, and through it all remains almost disturbingly clinical. And then....
[16:08] <Ui> "I'm different. There is no way around it," Patty writes in her neat script. Something Jessica couldn't help but notice was that whatever the subject matter, Patty kept a grip on herself. "I hoped that I was wrong, but I have to accept reality now. And she'll never accept me." Her handwriting wavers briefly. "That's something I have to accept, too."
[16:12] <Jessica> Jessica's first thought is that, with the way Patty has written this out, she might be gay for a straight girl. Which, she thinks to herself, would be pretty damn painful, not to mention awkward to talk about, and it's easy to see why someone would want to keep that a secret... Somewhere along the way, though, she started thinking that since she's already read this much, what does it matter
[16:12] <Jessica> if she reads a bit more? That same impulse has her turn another page, even as she begins to think she's a really rotten sister.
[16:17] <Ui> Patty really loves her family, Jessica thinks as she reads. Behind every listed achievement is a desire to do as well as her siblings, to not betray her father's trust in her, to let her mother fully live through her, helping her cope with what she can't do on her own anymore. Jessica features prominently in the diary's pages as well; one revelation is that Patty used to sneak into her room regularly to try and play the bass; one day, that just ended with no explanation or further mention.
[16:19] <Jessica> That's new. It really is. It's not a breach of privacy on the same level that Jessica is enacting, though. Guiltily, she begins to set about replacing the diary; the key in the drawer might be a spare for itself, or something, and she tests that too, to see if she can set the whole thing back as it was.
[16:21] <Ui> It would be pretty strange to keep a spare key locked, Jessica finds. Whatever it opens, that's not this drawer.
[16:21] <Jessica> What sort of key is it? Jessica takes a look to see if it has any markings...
[16:23] <Ui> It has to be for a safe deposit box, her senses tell her, finely-honed from countless hours of police drama.
[16:25] <Jessica> Well, it probably isn't relevant to their situation after all. Having discovered nothing except that Patty has some private secrets that she probably deserved to keep (as well as that her sister is horribly depressed, giving her yet another thing to worry about), she finishes resetting things as best as she can and then leaves Patty's room, deciding to get online for now and see what's up.
[16:29] <Ui> She thinks the drawer would hold after her impromptu carpentry. Getting on the net, Jessica finds quite a few worried emails for her from all her friends, most of all Katie and Jay. The gist to all is that they can't reach her, and is she alright?
[16:31] <Jessica> Jessica responds that her phone got crushed before, and she's only just got online now. She does then go on to assure her friends that she's as fine as anyone could be, under the circumstances, but it's really her brother, sister, and Andrew that she's worried about, since they all ended up in hospital.
[16:32] <Ui> "Andy's out," Katie writes her, the first to answer. "They let him go sometime this morning. Wrist's broken, though. Shit sucks."
[16:36] <Jessica> "At least it's nothing worse," states Jessica, before deciding to sent an email to her closer circle of friends- since she's got a double out there, who might actually have the sense to wear a wig at some point, they should pick some way of clearly identifying her. In this case, it'll be with a particular blue earring she has that she only picked up fairly recently. No earring? Wrong Jessica!
[16:38] <Ui> The mass-email is thus sent on its way. Susan wakes up some time after. Though it hasn't been a long rest, she looks refreshed and ready to face the world once more. Only her red-rimmed eyes give proof that she was shaken earlier that day. Come evening, the door opens. Seated together in the living room, Susan and Jessica have a clear view of Patty entering the house and freezing as her eyes fall upon her sister.
[16:39] <Jessica> Jessica's eyes drift away from Patty's, and she scrunches up her hands on her knees.
[16:40] <Ui> Patty closes her eyes, takes a deep breath and steps inside. Norman is right behind her, his hand placed on her shoulder supportively. "We're back," he calls, to which Susan answers, "Welcome home!" It is normal, far too normal.
[16:41] <Jessica> "Hey," says Jessica, quietly. "Did they figure out what, uh, happened? How's Matt?"
[16:44] <Ui> "Matt is still in the hospital," Norman says. "He hasn't woken up yet, but it's only a matter of time."
[16:44] <Ui> Patty keeps off to the side, hanging by the umbrella stand.
[16:46] <Jessica> "Uh.. did you tell Patty what I said?" asks Jessica, glancing back and forth between them.
[16:46] <Ui> "Yes." Norman smiles reassuringly at Jessica. "I played the recording for her."
[16:48] <Jessica> "Ah... okay," replies Jessica, nodding. "Uh, I'm sorry for showing off in the ward. Really."
[16:49] <Ui> "We... need to talk," Patty says haltingly. "Alone. In the kitchen."
[16:51] <Jessica> "Um, sure! Alone? Okay," replies Jessica, standing up.
[16:51] <Ui> Patty is already moving towards the kitchen, ignoring the surprised looks of their parents all the while.
[16:52] <Jessica> Jessica shoots back an apologetic glance, before trailing after Patty towards the fridge- er, kitchen.
[16:55] <Ui> "What did you do with my sister?" Patty demands to know, keeping the kitchen table between them.
[16:55] <Jessica> "I am your sister!" insists Jessica, grimacing.
[16:56] <Ui> "That's a lie!" Patty hisses. "I saw you take her! And then, and then, you were talking about drugging me and taking her place!"
[16:58] <Jessica> "It's not a lie! Yeah, I got taken, and then I got away!" Jessica collapses on her chair. "What exactly did you see?"
[17:03] <Ui> "You took her and, and you choked her, and you jumped away with her!" Patty insists. "Where did you take her? The same place like me? Did you tie her up, too?" Her voice breaks. "Is she drugged right now, lying somewhere?"
[17:07] <Jessica> "No! Nonononono! Patty, it's me, Jessica! I can't explain it, but I got this magic, and I broke away after the jump! Come on, think this through! You're meant to be the smart one..."
[17:08] <Ui> "I know your plan," Patty states angrily. "You want to take her place. You want to make it like she never left. You want to have what she has, but you are not my sister!"
[17:09] <Jessica> "I can prove I'm the real Jessica!"
[17:13] <Ui> "I'm breathless with anticipation," Patty hisses.
[17:19] <Jessica> "I'm kinda happy you're mad on my behalf, actually, since I thought you'd stopped caring recently," admits Jessica, peeking up. "Anyway. It's simple. You can ask me something only I'd know, or- where'd they take you? What did they do? How'd you get away- can you tell me where? I mean, the other way is straightforward, if me and the real fake are in the same place, then..." She shakes her head.
[17:19] <Jessica> "Anyway, give me the benefit of the doubt here..."
[17:21] <Ui> "That would never work," Patty states categorically. "You are not my sister but you are Jessica Fields. I don't know where you diverge. You could know all that she does, naturally or from... tortuing her."
[17:24] <Jessica> "Eight years. That's what she said. It'd be at least eight years," replies Jessica, quietly. "And I guess that just leaves the second method."
[17:26] <Ui> "Then, you could claim a bad memory. People don't have photographic memory. I remember that's how you were going to wing it, if questioned."
[17:28] <Ui> Patty pauses, turning her head to listen. The window is broken, and Jessica could have sworn she heard something from the outside.
[17:28] <Jessica> "This is totally why people are innocent before proven guilty. Look, you saw me get kidnapped, right? Jumped away with. I gotta guess that right after that, something happened to you that stopped you seeing the rest," replies Jessica. "Ok. I get it- hah?" Jessica heads towards the window- which part of outside?
[17:29] <Jessica> "I gotta check this out. Keep an eye on me- actually, yeah, do that," replies Jessica, poking her head out to take a look.
[17:32] <Ui> Someone in black is dashing away, Jessica sees!
[17:33] <Jessica> "Hey! Come back here!" yells Jessica, and a butterfly-wrought lasso stretches out from her hand and rushes towards the offenders leg!

<--->

[17:37] <Ui> A purple, writhing lasso snakes out towards Jessie's feet! It travels faster than anything has a right to, and within moment, she will be ensnared!
[17:39] <Jessie> "Dammit!" Evidently the ground is a bad place to be right now, so Jessie prefers her odds in the air and leaps upwards, keeping her forward momentum!
[17:40] <Jessica> "Head outside! And you'll see!" yells Jessica, sheathing herself in a glass-proof shield and vaulting through the window herself!
[17:41] <Ui> The lasso disappears as Jessica leaps through the broken window, covered in translucent purple!
[17:42] * Jessie channels her wings and breaks to the side, determined to cut herself out of the line-of-view of the house! If Patty sees this, she's lost her advantage!
[17:43] <Jessica> "You come back here! I gotta talk to you!" yells Jessica, bursting out of the house and promptly jetting after the black figure!
[17:44] <Jessie> Talking implies not running, and she doesn't like the sound of that, but how is she supposed to lose herself?
[17:45] <Jessie> "Stop following, or you'll be playing your next concert on a pile of junk!" It would be all too easy to snap this thing in her hands if she so wanted...
[17:47] <Ui> Magical flight allows both girls to cover a distance that would seem impossible in the city's traffic. Jessica sees that her costumed double -- now with a longer skirt for some reason -- has a bass that looks distinctly like hers in her arms. She can't focus too much on it, however, as her concentration is taken by steering.
[17:48] <Jessica> "My bass? You're holding my bass hostage? That's so... sad," replies Jessica. "Anyway, truce! Unless you want the whole city to see us, huh?!"
[17:49] <Ui> It might be too late for that, considering the very flashy method of flying each girl is employing. They have height and darkness on their side, at least.
[17:51] <Jessie> "So you mean I could rip this thing apart right now, and you wouldn't give a crap? And since when was a truce even an option?! Last I checked, we were mutually exclusive!"
[17:54] <Jessica> "What, like I'll get to use it after you lobotomize me?! What's mutually exclusive here is a sense of priorities!"
[17:56] <Jessie> "What exactly do you want me to do? Go back home and act like this crap never happened?! Even if I wanted to, that's not an option! Coming here was a one-way trip, so either I take your place or I've got jack shit!"
[17:56] <Jessica> "No, no, I think there's enough room in the world for two Jessicas!"
[17:57] * Jessie stops in her tracks, looking back. "You're kidding, right?"
[17:57] <Jessie> "Sure, find a way to convince your folks you got cloned and produced an identical twin. It's okay, Dad's a lawyer, not a scientist! He'll fall for it!"
[17:58] <Jessica> Jessica flies past Jessie, careening around in a wide, poorly-piloted circle. "Come on, we've got superpowers! If we use them for good and not evil, all will probably be forgiven. I mean, if you say sorry, that's gonna be enough- it's not like anyone can really get mad at you, owing to the superpowers..."
[17:59] <Jessie> "And then what do I get? Do I get Mom? Dad? Matt? Patty? I didn't come here to be forgiven, I came here to get my goddamn family back!"
[18:01] <Jessica> "I'm sure they'll accept you! I'll get them to, if you want. Come on, it's gotta be better than torturing me. That'll hurt!"
[18:02] * Jessie winces. "You don't think people are gonna get slightly suspicious? The police, the FBI, all that crap?"
[18:02] <Jessica> "Superpowers."
[18:02] <Jessie> "And what am I gonna tell the guy who brought me here? Hey, sorry, decided I didn't want to go on the whole revenge thing, thanks for your help, see you again never?"
[18:02] <Jessica> "He sounds like a dickhead anyway."
[18:03] <Jessie> "He...kind of is. His assistant decided it'd be a good idea to grab Patty while no-one was looking. ...Wait."
[18:03] <Jessica> "Yeah, see? Patty's your sister! You can't trust people who kidnap your sister."
[18:04] * Jessie floats in mid-air, pondering. "...Why'd he send me to a dimension where there was another me, anyway? Couldn't he have chosen one to coincide with the time you died in an accident or something? Why'd he pick one where I'd have to work...?"
[18:04] <Jessica> "There are infinite possibilities, right? That's what they said on Sliders."
[18:05] <Jessie> "So he deliberately picked one where I'd have to get my hands dirty...the BASTARD."
[18:06] * Jessie sighs. She looks Jessica in the eyes and sees...she hates to admit it, but she sees herself. She's tried already to get payback tonight, and it hasn't worked out. She's tried to lift this curse, but that's failed as well. Maybe it's time to just take what she can get.
[18:07] <Jessica> "Hey, you need to stick needles in my brain or something?" asks Jessica, still wobbling whilst airborne. "Won't it do the same thing to you? Like, if they fuck with my head, your head's also fucked with, and we both turn into braindead zombies or whatever? It's so suss."
[18:07] <Jessie> "...Fine. Though as a warning, I have a nasty habit of bringing around the painful deaths of everyone I care about. Not directly, but...yeah. The whole black cat thing isn't all for show, I guess."
[18:09] <Jessica> "It's cool. We've got superpowers," replies Jessica, attempting to stabilize next to Jessie. She holds out a hand!
[18:09] <Jessie> "Mind if I ask you to do one thing before we get to this whole going home crap? I think we should pay a certain someone a visit. I figure he'd prefer receiving a tragic curse over being beaten to an inch of his life." Jessie...hesitates, but returns the gesture.
[18:11] <Jessica> It was actually for her bass, but a handshake will have to do. "Eh, can't we just leave it? What's he gonna do?" asks Jessica. "I just wanna drop the whole thing and get on with life, you know? It's there for living and everything."
[18:13] <Jessie> "Let's put it this way. The guy's a time space magician, and his assistant is the one who decided to nab Patty while I was taking care of you without bothering to ask if it was okay to hold my own sister hostage. He's...kind of a dick, and if we've got these powers shouldn't we be using them to get rid of guys like that? ...Besides, he's apparently the only one who can fix me, so I can't just
[18:13] <Jessie> leave him..."
[18:16] <Jessica> "Eheh, uh, I'm not big on violence... though I do wanna talk to these creeps. And, uh, I kinda just wanna let the folks know what's going on before we head out for stuff like that. Dad's still the DA, you know? I dunno what will happen, but he's got plenty of influence and it's great if emergency services can help quickly, right?" Jessica shifts. "And, you know, I wanna let them know they need
[18:16] <Jessica> to expect two Jessicas soon."
[18:17] <Jessie> "...Good point. And I need to put this bass down somewhere, don't I?"
[18:18] <Jessica> "Well, I guess it's our bass now. But I figure getting another one won't be trouble," replies Jessica, jetting about in a semicircle and starting to fly home.
[18:18] <Jessie> "I sorta stopped practicing after...yeah. Maybe I oughta get back into it...can't lose out to myself, can I?"

<--->