News:

Populated by the admins and moderators of your other favorite sites!

Main Menu

[01A] Outside the city walls

Started by Merc, October 19, 2009, 12:20:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merc

Session Start: Sat Oct 17, 2009

<Merc> Oof! A young girl finds herself roughly awakened as she feel something heavy land atop her. "Anassia! Anassia! What are you still doing asleep? We're going to miss the whole thing!" (more)
<Merc> It's Anassia's younger brother, looking excited about the harvest festival. A few days ago, their parents had decided that due to the particularly good crop this year, they'd all go into town today and celebrate. Valak seemed particularly happy to hear that, having been stuck watching the animals last year.
<Anassia> "Ugh, go 'way," Anassia says blearily to her brother, glaring as best she can around her sleep.  "It's not going nowhere."  Aah, mornings.  Blissful.
<Merc> "Anassia, get -up-, you!" her brother seems to pout. "Valak get your sister up!" a feminine voice calls from outside the room. "I'm -trying-!"
<Anassia> "Mruh?" Anassia asks, glancing towards the door.  "Fine, fine.  I'm up."  She says, lifting a hand to rub as her still sleep-bleary turquoise eye.  "Geddout," she mutters to her brother.
<Merc> Her brother grins, proud of his successful job of making himself a pest, and scurries outside. Once he's gone, a squeak is heard from under the girl's bed, her little hidden secret making its presence known.
<Anassia> Anassia sits up, running a hand through her dark green hair, smiling a little to herself as she extends her hand towards the squeak.  "Brothers are annoying," she says softly, confidingly.
<Merc> A few seconds pass as a tiny skeletal creature steps onto the hand.
<Anassia> Anassia lifts it to rest on her shoulder before setting about the task of getting properly attired in no particular hurry for the moment.  Just to make that brother of her wait <i>that</i> much more.
<Merc> "ANASSIA!!!" the yell comes from outside after a while, once Anassia is pretty much finished. This time, it seems to be her father calling out.
<Anassia> Anassia doesn't hesitate in putting the squirrel into her belt pounch at her waist as she finishes lacing up her dress before moving towards the door.  "I'm coming, I'm coming!" she calls back, frowning slightly.
<Merc> "Good, you're finally ready," her father notes as she comes out, stopping to give her a small peck on the forehead when she's passing by him to outside their home. "Come on, let's get going, before it gets too late," he states, as he steps out towards the wagon outside. Some food is peeking from the back, where Valak is sitting. Anassia's mom is sitting out on the front with the reins in hand.
<Anassia> She smiles, giving him a brief hug before moving to sit beside her brother on the back of the wagon.  "Hey, brat," she says, smiling as she ruffles his hair.
<Merc> Valak scowls and sticks his tongue out. "Had a good sleep, princess?" he says in a mocking tone, as their parents shake their head and shake the reins hard, prompting the horses to start moving out.
<Anassia> "Almost, if someone hadn't woken me up," Anassia says, grinning as she leans back against the wagon's contents gently.
<Merc> The family moves onward at a nice pace as the siblings continue to bicker, the sun shining brightly. "Hey look! Looks like you're not the only girl looking to get some beauty sleep..." Valak comments as they reach an intersection on the road. He's apparently spotted a girl walking along the road from the direction of the capital. "Wow, is that a hammer on her back? Looks huge!"
* Anassia glances over towards the girl that Valak commented on. "Huh? And beauty sleep is something that everyone should be able to get, Val. You could do with getting some more yourself."
<Merc> "So it is..." their father notes with a small frown, not liking the looks of a young girl travelling alone. His wife seemingly agrees as she slows the wagon down, in wait for the girl to reach them. "Let's see if she wants a ride into town," she states.
* Elise is indeed walking along the road to town. She's plain-looking and soft-featured, just another face in any crowd, though clearly stronger than your average peasant and used to heavy labor. "Well met," she says pleasantly to the family. "Bound for the festival?"
<Merc> "Indeed. You as well, I imagine?" Matthias, the father, asks cheerfully. "Would you like a ride into town if so?"
* Elise nods. "I thank you for your hospitality. May Hapshulam avert his gaze." She climbs onto the wagon next to eh girl with the flamboyant hair.
<Anassia> Anassia smiles to the girl.  She herself is rather attractive, dark green locks of hair falling down to her shoulders, wearing a dress of similar color, although she blinks at the mention of 'Hapshulam'.  "I'm Anassia, and that brat's my brother," she says, introducing herself.
<Elise> "Well met, Anassia and Anassia's brother," Elise says with a little wave. She herself is dressed in utilitarian worker's clothes. Pants. Shirt. Bland.
<Merc> "Hapshulam? Where have I heard that before..." the mother mutters, blinking as well as gets the wagon moving again. Her husband merely shrugs. "I'm Valak!" Anassia's brother introduces himself as he points to himself.
<Elise> "Hapshulam watches over all of us," Elise says simply, as though confirming that the sky was still blue.
<Merc> "Hey, hey, so what's your name? Why are you carrying that big hammer? And who's Hapshulam?" the brother fires in rapid succession.
<Anassia> "That looks heavy," Anassia comments, gesturing towards the hammer slightly as the wagon starts to move again.
<Elise> "Oh, forgive my manners. I am Elise. I carry this because evil is ever vigilant, and so must we be as well."
<Merc> "So what brings you into town, Elise?" Matthias asks from the front, as they start seeing the entrance gates get closer and closer up. It looks like they're not the only ones late, there's a few others making line to pass through the guards stationed there.
* Anassia blinks a few times at Elise's reply, before turning around to glance to the gates, sleeping in seeming less dire than before seeing others obviously running behind.
<Elise> "I wish to enjoy the festival, and relax after the morning's work. Are you also here for the festival?"
<Merc> "Yup. Bringing in some of the crops to sell to our local contact, and let the kids have some fun too," Matthias replies. Valak grumbles at that though. "Daaaad, we're not 'kids' anymore. Well, maybe -Anassia- is, but not me. Nope!" Valak comments, despite being the younger of the two siblings. "Oh and hey, so who's Hapshulam? You didn't answer that, Elise."
<Elise> "Doesn't everyone know? Hapshulam is the great lord who watchers over us."
* Anassia reaches over to ruffle her brother's hair at the comment, before glancing over to Elise, curiously. "Really?"
<Elise> "Of course! This should be common knowledge among all his children."
<Merc> Valak blinks at that. "Huh? Don't you mean Arune?" he asks as he names the first deity to come to mind. Their family isn't particularly religious, but with a church of Arune in town, it's kinda hard not to know a little bit about that religion. Meanwhile, the wagon comes to a stop as a small line of people ahead wait for the security to let them pass.
<Merc> "Valak, a lot of people have different beliefs. Hapshulam -is- starting to sound a bit familiar to me, you know. Just probably isn't as, err, well, popular, as Arune, I guess?" the father comments, looking a bit uncomfortable at the end, not sure how their hitchhiker might react.
<Anassia> "Yeah, I've never heard of Hapshulam," Anassia admits, scratching her head slightly, still looking towards Elise quizzically.
<Elise> "Arune is an impostor," Elise says confidently. "If you've lost your copy of the Septinomicon, I can bring mine of an evening, or arrange to have it copied for you?"
<Merc> "Hello, what're you in town for?" the guards ask up ahead, sounding bored of the routine. The group ahead of them seems to be some men in nondescript cloaks. Their leader is chatting with the guards. "Oh, just wanted to enjoy the festivities, and all. There's sure to be a good show later today," the man replies as the guard nods.
* Anassia is taken aback by the confidence of claiming Arune to be an impostor, before she turns to the guards. Secretly, she is glad for the diversion.
<Merc> "Hrm...yes, I've heard Maya is planning to open up a new act. Carry on," the guard replies, not really looking particularly interested in the group. A nod passes from the leader as the men step in through the walls, and the family wagon moves further ahead after a small thoughtful pause where everyone stares at Elise. "Hello," the guard greets the family.
<Elise> "Hello," Elise greets the guard, by all appearances unaware of anyone's discomfort.
<Merc> "Err, yes, hello. We're the Lorits, we're here to trade some of our crops and enjoy the festival," Merian, the mother replies. The guard nods, recognizing the name, if not the faces. "Oh, that's fine. Thought you only had two children though?" he asks, giving a small nod of greeting at Elise's reply.
<Elise> "They were kind enough to offer me a ride after seeing me on the road," Elise explains for the family.
<Merc> "Ah, alright, makes sense. Mighty nice of you folks too," the guard replies, prompting a small smile from the married couple. "Well, I guess you're here to enjoy youself as well, girl?" he asks Elise, just for the protocol, it seems.
<Elise> "Yes. If there are candied apples then my day will be complete."
<Merc> The guard laughs. "I'm sure there'll be some. Be sure to visit Jonas' stall. No apples, I think, but his wife's pumpkin treats are sure to dazzle you. Carry on you all."
* Anassia grins slightly at the comment; crazy or not, at least she liked candied apples. She offers a smile to the guards as they wave them through. "Hopefully you get off soon," she says, coversationally.
* Elise thanks the guard for the advice, then turns to Anassia. "Yes. It will mean the pumpkin pie is closer."
<Merc> Valak laughs as the couple drive the wagon down the road towards the town center. "Listen...Elise, about earlier. Have fun, and all, but if Arune pops up in a conversation, don't call him an impostor, will you? Some of the people here are touchy, and like I said, people have varied beliefs, alright?" Matthias requests politely after they're out of earshot from the guards.
* Elise looks as though someone has just attempted to explain a very complicated mathematical equation to her, and done it in a foreign language. "Isn't he?"
<Merc> "Err, well, I couldn't tell you. I've never really met a god, you know?" Matthias replies. "I guess it's possible he is. He might be real and a friend of your Hapshulam for all I know. But yeah, a lot of people really believe in Arune, so don't think you want to talk badly about him. Just like you wouldn't talk bad about someone because you've never met 'em, right?"
<Merc> Valak laughs. "Yeah, maybe Hapshulam and Arune are siblings! Hapshulam is the cool brother and Arune is the bratty older one!"
<Merc> "Valak!" the mother exclaims in a scolding tone as she looks backwards momentarily at that.
* Elise frowns. "I can't think of any text that exactly says otherwise...but surely Hapshulam would be the older brother?"
<Merc> Valak doesn't look the least bit repentant. "Nah, the older one is the one who screws up, the younger one is where things get done right."
* Anassia giggles slightly at her brother's outburst, lightly pushing him. "The younger one's always the bratty one," she says. At his continuation, she giggles again.
<Elise> Elise looks speculative. "Ah, of course. Perhaps you're right."
<Merc> The parents simply shake their heads, stopping at the edge of the town center, where some stalls, shops and others are set up. "Alright, here we are. Your mother and I are going to go meet our friends. You three can go and have fun. Anassia, Valak, we'll be at the plaza's fountain in about three hours, try not to be late, alright?" Matthias comments as the wagon comes to stop, so the three at the back can get out.
<Merc> "Elise, it was nice meeting you," the mother offers as her husband nods
* Elise hops off the wagon, offering a hand to who might need it to get down more easily. "Of course, it was a pleasure to meet you too."
<Anassia> "Yes, yes," Anassia says quickly as she slides off the back of the wagon and dusting herself off.  "You mind me tagging along?  Some of that pie sounds perfect."
<Elise> "I'm sure there will be enough for all of us," Elise says, looking around for the specified stall.
<Merc> Valak hops off as well. "See you later, Elise!" he states as he rushes ahead. "Don't run! You'll trip over something!" Merian shouts, shaking her head. "Oh, that boy..." she mutters as she starts the wagon up again, leaving Anassia and Elise alone.
<Anassia> "Yeah, true," Anassia says, grinning.  "And if not, there's bound to be something just as good somewhere else, too."  She begins to peruse the stalls as well, enjoying the scents.
<Merc> --- ooc ---
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.