News:

No longer content with mere attendance, the middle-class suburban poseurs have begun to put their hands in the air and wave them like they just don't care

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on September 22, 2011, 03:29:40 PM
Can I retrain a few skills from my old paladin levels? Basically, a one to one conversion. I recently realized that Bluff is a class skill for Paladins of Freedom, not Diplo (even though I listed it and everything).

Yeah, that part's fine.

QuoteAlso, http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a is very interesting in that it allows me to replace two dumb skills I don't have reason to take with two skills that I do! Ride->Tumble, Handle Animal->Gather Info. I know I should've thought of it at chargen but I didn't actually come across this at the time.

I'm not a stickler for flavor on these things, but isn't skilled city dweller the exact opposite of an elf paladin of freedom?
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Corwin

Justification's easy enough in that she came from the largest elven city on Lifasa. But I don't really care about flavor for ACFs much, to be honest, as long as they're not completely dumb.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Yeah sure, that's good enough then.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

[22:14] <Jaela> Speaking of, you said you'd post your variants for phantasmal killer and weird?

Anastasia

I can't find the Weird variant I made. I'm not sure about the level of this, with all the easy to stop subtypes and two saving throws it may not be a fourth level spell.

Phantasmal Nightmare
Illusion (Phantasm) [Fear, Mind-Affecting]
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Target: One living creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will disbelief (if interacted with), then Fortitude partial; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes

You create a phantasmal image of the most fearsome creature imaginable to the subject simply by forming the fears of the subject's subconscious mind into something that its conscious mind can visualize: this most horrible beast. Only the spell's subject can see the phantasmal killer. You see only a vague shape. The target first gets a Will save to recognize the image as unreal. If that save fails, the phantasm touches the subject, and the subject must succeed on a Fortitude save or be stricken into a coma, lost to nightmares. This condition can be reversed by a successful dispel magic check, and the subject gets a new saving throw every 24 hours. If the Fortitude save is successful, the subject takes 3d6 points of damage.

If the subject of a phantasmal killer attack succeeds in disbelieving and is wearing a helm of telepathy, the beast can be turned upon you. You must then disbelieve it or become subject to its deadly fear attack.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Eb, are you interested in an epic progression for swiftblade at all?
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

Yes, more speed!

I can't think of any other epic class that would be thematic for Afina, so building on Swiftblade is the best bet for her.

Anastasia

Okay, I'll put that on the agenda.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Todo list:

1: Complete and finish Malcanthet. She'll be posted publically; I can and will change things up a bit if you end up fighting her in the future. If you're curious, that's why I revised the Lust Domain and posted an epic fatemaker advancement. Teaser:

Succubus 18/Fatemaker 26//Rogue 44

Malcanthet
Queen of the Succubi, Mistress of the Razor Throne
Demon Queen
Symbol: A pair of bright red feminine lips, pierced with an iron thorn that drips a single drop of blood.
Home Plane: Shendilavri, the 570th layer of the Abyss.
Alignment: Chaotic Vile.
Portfolio: Lust, desire, rape, beauty.
Worshipers: Whores, dominatrices, manipulators, hedonists.
Cleric Alignments: Chaotic Evil, Neutral Evil, Chaotic Neutral.
Domains: Chaos, Evil, Lust, Temptation, Trickery.
Favored Weapon: Lover's Lash (Scourge).

I may tweak the portfolio and worshipers part, but it's close enough for now.

2: Work out an epic PrC based on speed. This is a result of fucking around with an epic swiftblade advancement. Swiftblade doesn't translate well to an epic progression for myriad reasons and brings little to the table. While I may release a simple epic advancement for it, the bulk of my focus will be directed at a new epic PrC. While it won't only be for swiftblades, it will certainly suit them well.

3: Work on and finish Seira. She's been delayed, mostly due to bad luck with game transition timing. A little of this is Cor's sense of design. I let him choose her build and it's really not how I'd design a deity. It makes it easy to put off since it's an extra pain in the ass to do, y'know? This isn't a potshot at you, Cor; I simply have to admit our senses of design for D&D are worlds apart. Also holy hell am I burned out on making full caster deities right now. Churning out several new epic spells is good for the material base but its a bitch of an effort. There's a reason I chose not to use Beguiler with Malcanthet. Well, besides that it's largely redundant for her and she's never been fluffed as that sort of caster anyway.

<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Re-examine Reaping Mauler, the original 10 level class.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Corwin

I'm pretty sure Malcanthet can do without it, yeah. Sorry if it's not working out, I did follow your guidelines!

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on September 28, 2011, 01:28:58 PM
I'm pretty sure Malcanthet can do without it, yeah. Sorry if it's not working out, I did follow your guidelines!

It's cool, you didn't do anything wrong.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Anastasia

Misalea posted. Her spells will be edited in a little later.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

The 10 level reaping mauler is fine. It needs a few tweaks to find CMD/CMB but the basics are fine. Id' just have the capstone do paralysis automatically or have it be permanent paralysis. At that point snapping a creature's spine is entirely reasonable.
<Afina> Forever.