News:

"With great power comes the opportunity to abuse that power."

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ebiris

Corwin

I know it looks silvery, but does it actually count as silver for bypassing DR?
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

RAW Mithral doesn't, it just looks silvery. It's not an unreasonable judgment call to allow it to function as such.

Pandemonic Silver from Complete Warrior has all the traits of alchemical silver, for better or for worse.

Shiftsilver from Dragon 355 counts as silver as well as having other properties. You'd have to dig up Dragon 355 for it since I don't have it.

It's also worth noting Penetrate Damage Reduction(Silver) is an epic feat. It's not what you're looking for, but I mentioned it since I have that feat noted down as a useful one for this game.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Corwin

Huh. Shiftsilver is pretty cool.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on October 19, 2011, 10:35:07 PM
Huh. Shiftsilver is pretty cool.

What precisely does it mean by a shifter? A lycanthrope, something with the shapechanger subtype or something else?

---

Dragon 355 has several interesting fighter ACFs worth mentioning. These ACFs aren't directly connected, but more of a hodgepodge of choices. A summary for reference. This mainly matters for NPCs, none of you have much in the way of fighter levels.

Mystic Bond: No level 1 fighter bonus feat. Gain the ability to ignore your armor's weight for encumbrance, increased maximum dex by +1, armor slows you as if one category lighter, arcane spell failure of armor is 1/2. Could be potentially useful as a dip on some fighter/mage builds.
Bonded Armor: No level 8 fighter bonus feat. Have to wear the same armor for 30 days and a do a minor ceremony that costs 100 gold. Can always take your armor off as a full around action, gain a +1 insight bonus while wearing that armor. Insight bonus increases to +2 at level 14 and +3 at level 20. This presumably would continue into epic at +1 every 6 levels. Nice if you take 8 levels of fighter, arguable if it means character level or fighter level for the insight bonus. It's excellent if it means character level, okay if it means fighter level.
Eldritch Grace: No level 4 fighter bonus feat. Gain evasion while in unencumbered/lightly encumbered against spells and magical effects. I'd parse that to encompass spells, SLAs and supernatural abilities. This is a supernatural ability. Hey, it's evasion. Evasion's always nice to have.
Eldritch Juggernaut: No level 18 fighter bonus feat. Gain spell resistance equal to 11 + hit dice while in medium or heavy armor. At that point it's clearly superior to another feat.
Fortification: No 10, 14 or 18th level fighter bonus feat. Gain light, medium and heavy fortification at the noted levels. Heavy fortification is pretty nice to have, though you can also get it on your armor if you please. How useful this one is depends on the campaign.
Warrior of (Air, Fire, Earth, Water): Give up a bunch of feats for extra elemental damage and a few weak SLAs. Casual reading suggests it's not worth it. Air's a little better since the big SLA it gives is Freedom of Movement.

<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

You have the same dragon as I do. I figured lycanthropes, which would make it easily accessable for us, but it might be a GM call? And yeah, Air's much better due to giving feather fall and freedom of movement. I'd say that if the elemental damage the Warrior of [Element] gave was to normal damage and not to crit, and if it stacked with elemental damage from other sources (flaming weapon, blades of fire, etc) then that stuff would actually be useful.

Merc

I'd told Dune in IRC, but shifter is actually the name of an Eberron playable race that's basically lycanthrope 'lite'. They appear in Races of Eberron.

Edit: Shifters -are- supposed to be descendants of lycanthropes though, so I'd assume that lycanthropes might be able to do the job on a pinch? GM call like you said.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Anastasia

Yeah, I'd shift it onto lycanthropes instead. If I'd had this a few weeks ago I might have made Gaelach out of it, but oh welll.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Does Afina feel like making a masterwork lance and a masterwork spear pair for me from shiftsilver some time?

Ebiris

Afina isn't a lycanthrope, sadly.

She's happy to make weapons that don't have painful racist requirements, though.

Corwin

Why would you need to be? It seems there's just need for a few drops of blood for the basic version, and we have plenty lycanthropes around I could ask about a donation.

Ebiris

Oh, thought you had to be a lycanthrope to make it. Well sure, anyway, once we have downtime I can make something nice.

Anastasia

I'll want to check the exact wording of shiftsilver first, but as I recall I think Cor's right.

---

I've been working on axiomatic feats and have a heap of 'em done. Let me know what you think! These are experimental and all over the place, just fiddling with concepts. Feedback more than welcome. Besides the few used for Prosecutor, these are all beta and subject to change.

Axiomatic Smite [Axiomatic]
Prerequisite: Smite Evil.
Benefit: Your smite evil class ability also works against chaotic creatures. Additionally, you may use your smite ability one more time per day. If you accidentally smite a creature that is not chaotic or evil, the smite has no effect but is still used up for the day. Smite evil and smite chaos are supernatural abilities.
Special: Yes, this is Cuthbert's Smite from Dragon Compendium. It's reflavored for the campaign and I added it to this since it's fitting.

Controlled Fury [Axiomatic]
Prerequisite: Ex-Barbarian, int 13
Benefit: In your studies of order you have rejected your former lack of control, and in this you have gained your strength once more. You regain the ability to rage. This rage is a cold, intellectual rage, sacrificing power for control. Your bonuses to strength and constitution while you rage is reduced by 2, but you may use any intelligence, wisdom or charisma related skills, concentration and may use magical items or abilities that require concentration. Further, you may use combat expertise or any other formerly forbidden feats while in a rage.

Crush Demon [Axiomatic, Epic, Exalted]
Prerequisite: Axiomatic Smite, cha 21
Benefit: When you smite a chaotic evil creature, you may choose to make a crush demon smite. If you do, you add double your charisma modifier as a bonus to attack and double your paladin level as a bonus to damage. This consumes two of your daily uses of smite evil.

Eliminate Variance [Axiomatic, Epic]
Prerequisite: Strengthen the Average, int 19
Benefit: You eliminate all variance from your damage rolls. For example, a 10d6 fireball is 40 damage. A rogue hitting for 1d6+3+2d6 instead deals 4+3+8 damage. Unlike Reduce Variance, all damage dice are converted. The benefits of Strengthen the Average apply as well.

Harmony of the Body [Axiomatic]
Prerequisite: Wholeness of Body, wis 13
Benefit: Long meditation has ordered your body and spirit into one, allowing your wounds to heal with ease. Your healing pool for wholeness of body increases to your monk level times 4 per day. Further, you may cure ability damage at a 10 to 1 exchange rate. Using your healing in this way does not restore hit points. For example, a monk with 40 points of wholeness of body could heal 40 hit points or 4 points of ability score damage or some combination thereof.
Normal: Wholeness of Body can heal up to your monk levels times 2 per day.

Harmony of the Mind [Axiomatic]
Prerequisite: Tongue of the Sun and Moon, wis 17
Benefit: Your tranquil mind and ability to overcome the limits of language allow you to communicate without words. You gain telepathy 100ft.

Harmony of the Soul [Axiomatic]
Prerequisite: Diamond Soul, wis 15
Benefit: Your soul is a still lake, free of imperfection and change. Through this you ignore the effects of chaotic magic, your inner self image rejecting it. Your spell resistance is considered 4 points higher against spells with the chaotic descriptor. For each chaotic spell that fails against you, you gain a +1 morale bonus to attack rolls versus the caster. This bonus stacks with itself to a maximum of +5. This bonus lasts until the end of the encounter.

Merciful Strike [Axiomatic, Epic]
Prerequisite: Mechanus Soldier, int 19
Benefit: You have obtained high mastery in subduing and defeating opponents. Your weapons or natural attacks are treated as merciful. In addition, all merciful damage you deal is instead the average amount of merciful damage that would be dealt plus one per die. (1d6 is 4 damage, 1d8 is 5, 2d10 is 12 and so on.) This ability stacks with merciful weapons and other similar abilities. You may choose to turn this power off and deal lethal damage as a free action, but you do not gain the extra damage this feat grants when you deal lethal damage.

Mechanus Soldier [Axiomatic]
Prerequisite: Int 13.
Benefit: You are trained in the precise methods Mechanus uses to take targets alive for lawful trial. You may inflict non-lethal damage with a lethal weapon or unarmed attack without the normal -4 penalty to attack rolls. In addition, you gain a +1 bonus to CMB for trip and disarm attempts.

Order Incarnate [Axiomatic, Epic]
Prerequisite: Spurn disorder, cha 21
Benefit: The powerful order you represent grants you a +6 circumstance bonus to bluff and intimidate checks versus chaotic creatures. Such creatures recognize you for what you are and act appropriately.

Ordered Speed [Axiomatic]
Prerequisite: Improved Initiative, int 13
Benefit: You may choose to take ten on initiative checks.

Perfect Harmony [Axiomatic, Epic]
Prerequisites: Harmony of the Body, Harmony of the Mind, Harmony of the Soul, Perfect Self, wis 25
Benefit: You have reached perfect order, a unity with all Creation and yourself. This grants you several benefits. You gain the lawful subtype from this union, in tune with the absolute cosmic order that holds chaos at bay. Your damage reduction gains the anarchic qualifier in addition to the adamantine and epic qualifiers. Your wholeness of body ability may now restore ability drain as well as ability damage, at the same rate as ability damage. Your bonus to spell resistance against chaotic spells increases by another 4 points. Finally, your telepathy increases to 200ft.

Perfect Speed [Axiomatic, Epic]
Prerequisite: Blinding Speed, Regimented Swiftness, Superior Initiative, int 21
Benefit: You may take twenty on initiative checks. Further, if you are adjacent to another creature with this feat and they have a higher initiative total, you may use that one instead of yours.

Perfection of the Natural World [Axiomatic]
Prerequisite: Animal Companion
Benefit: Your animal companion gains the axiomatic template. In addition, you and your companion may always communicate telepathically, as if you were an axiomatic creature of the same type within 300ft.

Reduce Variance [Axiomatic]
Prerequisite: Scion of Order, int 15
Benefit: You can reduce the variance of  your damage rolls. You convert one half of the dice rolled to the average result and roll the rest. For example, a 10d6 fireball would be rolled as 5d6+15 damage instead. A rogue hitting for 1d6+3+2d6 would instead deal 1d6+3+1d6+3 damage. Single damage dice are not affected. Damage changed this way does not lose any inherent properties, for example, converted sneak attack damage still does not multiply on a critical hit.

Regimented Swiftness [Axiomatic]
Prerequisite: Ordered Speed
Benefit: You gain a +1 bonus to initiative for each other creature with the Regimented Swiftness feat adjacent to you. These bonuses stack with each other; someone by two other people would gain a total of +2 to initiative.

Scion of Order [Axiomatic]
Benefit: You formally dedicate yourself to order. Once per day, while performing an lawful act, the character may call upon the powers of law to add a +1 luck bonus on any one die roll.
Special: Once you take this feat, you may not take it again. You may not take the Servant of Heaven or Disciple of Darkness feat. Your allegiance is only yours to give once. This does not prevent you from serving a lawful good or lawful evil patron, only that you have dedicated yourself to law above all others.

Spurn Disorder [Axiomatic]
Prerequisite: Cha 13
Benefit: Your contempt for chaos shields you the attacks of the chaotic. You gain a +2 axiomatic bonus to armor class and saving throws against chaotic creatures.

Strengthen the Average [Axiomatic]
Prerequisite: Reduce Variance, int 17
Benefit: When you reduce the variance of a roll, you instead use the average result +1 per die to convert. For example, a 10d6 fireball would be rolled as 5d6+20. A rogue hitting for 1d6+3+2d6 would deal 1d6+3+1d6+4.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

I'm working on anarchic feats as requested. Here's a preview, feedback welcomed. Doubly so since I'm having a harder time with these than with the axiomatic feats. Inspiration is good.  Seriously, I know I'm bitching but feedback does me good and helps me determine how things balance out.

Let's start by defining what anarchic feats should do.

- Prefers charisma but isn't beholden to it.

- Encourages variance.

- Encourages freedom, independence and individuality.

- Cares nothing for good and evil, only chaos and law.

- Grants anarchic bonus type.

- Feats may do random or odd things, unlike other alignment feats. Often goes off in its own direction as chaos dictates.

- Unlike good and evil, there's only Celebrant of Chaos, versus good having Knight of the Stars, Favored of the Companions and Servant of Heaven. CG and CE already have feats like this one that emphasize vile, so I'd rather just make one feat that fits from CG to CE.

This is the default entry feat. Every other alignment has this so I'm okay with finishing up that trend.  I may change these feats universally, +1 luck to one roll isn't all that worthwhile.

Celebrant of Chaos [Anarchic]
Benefit: You formally dedicate yourself to chaos. Once per day, while performing a chaotic act, you may call upon the powers of chaos to add a +1 luck bonus on any one die roll.
Special: Once you take this feat, you may not take it again. You may not take the Knight of the Stars or Thrall to Demon feat. Your allegiance is only yours to give once. This does not prevent you from serving a chaotic good or chaotic evil patron, only that you have dedicated yourself to chaos above all others.

For those that like to gamble with lore checks.

Limbo's Knowledge [Anarchic]
Prerequisite: Bardic Lore, Lore or similar ability, Celebrant of Chaos.
Benefit: The ever-changing nature of Limbo has influenced your understanding of knowledge. Sometimes you have stunning insights into obscure lore, and other times you know nothing of simple matters. Whenever you make a bardic lore, lore or similar check, roll 1d8. If this is an odd number, add it to the total of your check. If it is an even number, subtract it instead.

Yes, I have a table for this. You can figure out how serious this feat is yourself.

Mari's Gambit [Anarchic]
Benefit: As a full round action, you may charge a held potion with chaotic energy and drink it. This causes the potion to have a random effect, as seen on the tables below.

This feat may be revised, I need to study and see if the bonus it gives is remotely reasonable.

Unpredictable Warrior [Anarchic]
Prerequisite: Combat Expertise
Benefit: You constantly alter your fighting technique in bizarre ways. This makes your combat maneuvers and defenses difficult to counter, granting you a +2 anarchic bonus to your CMB and CMD scores.

This one probably balanced, since two feats+anarchic for cha instead of int/wis doesn't strike me as particularly abusable. I'm sure someone could prove this assumption wrong.

Untamed Savant [Anarchic]
Prerequisite: Skill Focus, cha 13
Benefit: Through pure doggedness and self reliance, you have learned to apply you raw force of personality to an otherwise intellectual pursuit. Choose an intelligence or wisdom based skill you have skill focus in. You may now use your charisma modifier in place the previous modifier to determine your total skill modifier. For example, a wizard who selects this feat for knowledge: planes and has an intelligence score of 10, a charisma score of 20 and 10 ranks of knowledge planes would go from a total modifier of +13 to +18.
Special: You may select this feat more than once. Its benefits do not stack. Each time you select it, choose another intelligence or wisdom skill you have skill focus in.

<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

Maybe a feat that randomly changes the damage type of spells when they're cast?

One that randomly passes an ongoing effect to another nearby creature (enemy only or just all depending on balance) when you save against it? (things like hold monster or poison)?

I'll try and think of more while I'm at work.