News:

"With great power comes the opportunity to abuse that power."

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

If I'm missing anything, say so now so I can add it.

Todo

1. Go through nagging, answer/resolve posts.
2. Ilsenine's level up.
3. Loot.
4. Sticky Neph's Aurora fund post.
5. Finnegan rebuild.
6. More spells.
7. More spells.
8. More spells.
9. Secret shop update.
10. Build chart updates.
11. Simmer living spells.
12. Training rooms update.
13. Secret DM thing 1.
14. Surraruthru spellpool.
15. Make sure all feats/spells/epic shieldmate is in appropriate R&S topics.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

After some consideration and number tossing, I'm not going to rebuild Finnegan. He's getting the 5 level version of occult slayer grandfathered in and we'll leave him at that. There's a little more to it, but the gist is that it's not a worthwhile way to spend my time, as the benefit's minimal.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Expect random spells, I'm tossing ideas out and hashing them out fast. Some of these will be aimed at Jaela, others will be ones that were aimed at her but diverged. Comments more than welcomed.

<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

I'm gonna need an epic blasting power at some point.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

That makes sense. Are you thinking anything in particular? One of the few epic psionics I made is one.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Got a question on feat interactions.

Combat Reflexes: When foes leave themselves open, you may make a number of additional attacks of opportunity equal to your Dexterity bonus.

Improved Combat Reflexes [Epic]: There is no limit to the number of attacks of opportunity you can make in one round. (you still can't make more than one attack of opportunity for a given opportunity.) per d20srd website.

Robilar's Gambit: In return, they provoke attacks of opportunity from you each time they swing. Resolve your attack of opportunity after your foe's attack.

Does this mean that each attack a foe swings at me is treated as an individual opportunity for attacks of opportunity? As in, if they swing at me 10 times, I get 10 separate AoO chances at them in return?
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Corwin

Yes. And, in fact, each AoO resolves after their attack, so it'd be his attack #1, your AoO #1, his attack #2, your AoO #2 and so on.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Nephrite

Updated sheet for the purchases. Moore has a respectable 311 HP and 56 AC now, wow!

Iron Dragoon

Okay, does the AoO from Robilar's Gambit apply only to who's attacking you, or if you're surrounded by four guys and one fires off 10 attacks, do you get 1 AoO on everyone surrounding you for each one of the 10 attacks?

Corwin

You only AoO the one triggering it. You get an attack of opportunity, which is limited in scale from a normal attack.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Cor's correct.

The only real reason you need improved combat reflexes is if you're running gambit or another gimmick that eats AoOs like candy (see Sealtiel over on the R&S board, he has one).
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

For consideration and correction, since there are almost no decent buff spells for level 8 Sorc/Wiz:

Insight of the Dragon Princess

Transmutation
Level: Sorc/Wiz 8,
Components: V, S,
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 24 hours
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

As you cast this spell, the image of Seira wraps around the target's head. The image fades as you bestow your ally with comprehension.
The subject gains a +10 insight bonus to Wisdom.

Agility of the Dragon Princess

Transmutation
Target: Living creature touched
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: No

Drawing on the inspiration of Seira, the Dragon Princess, you imbue the target with a drop of her grace, granting them a +10 sacred bonus to Dexterity.

Strength of the Dragon Princess

Transmutation

As you cast this spell, a great roar of power sounds in the distance; an echo of Seira's call to battle. The sound fades as you bestow your ally with power inspired by the Dragon Princess, granting them a +10 sacred bonus to Strength.

Mind of the Dragon Princess

Transmutation

As you cast this spell, the sound of pages turning sounds and a feeling of understanding settles over you. As the feeling fades your ability to learn about the world increases, granting the target a +10 insight bonus to Intelligence.

Iron Dragoon

Offical post of Surraruthru going insane copying spells from the Library into his Blessed Book.

Anastasia

That's cool. Any particular preferences?
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on January 13, 2017, 08:46:39 PM
For consideration and correction, since there are almost no decent buff spells for level 8 Sorc/Wiz:

Transmutation

As you cast this spell, the image of Seira wraps around the target's head. The image fades as you bestow your ally with comprehension.
The subject gains a +10 insight bonus to Wisdom.

I'm going to ignore minor formatting problems for this. Those are no big deal and I'll fix them on my end.

Anyway, let's look at a similar spell Jaela uses. It's also level 8 so it's a great one to compare it to.

Righteous Halo
Transmutation [Good, Light]
Level: Clr 8
Components: V, S, DF
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 hour/level (D) or until discharged

Holy light washes over you as you call upon your patron deity's power. This nimbus of divine power coalescing around your form shines brightly, as if daylight had been cast upon your person.

You get a +4 sacred bonus to your Charisma score.

As an immediate action, you can discharge the magic to gain a +8 Sacred bonus to Charisma for 1 round. The spell ends after you use it in this manner.

Divine Focus

The holy symbol of your deity.

In the case of hour/level spells or longer ones, it's less oomph into the power of the spell and more into the duration. I'd suggest using that spell as a measuring stick and go with something like this.

---

Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 8
Components: V, S
Duration: 1 hour/level

(Add descriptive sentence here, do not forget) The target of this spell gains a +4 insight bonus to Wisdom.

---

I consider insight and sacred to be interchangeable here for total power level, as both are non-enhancement bonuses. This one trades it improving to a touch spell over personal/you in exchange for dropping the burst option righteous halo has. The duration differences are trivial at this level. I might include a non-costly material component to slightly rebalance the spell and add some flavor (as in one eschew materials would cover, as well as a spell component pouch). You could use this basic template for the other three spells, since it's basically the same thing with different ability score bonuses.
<Afina> Forever.