News:

"Destiny Challenged us and so we chose to end the world.  There was nothing to regret.  Nothing."

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corwin

How about picking freedom and independence as basis, too? You already have it listed, but the focus seems to be more on variance and uniqueness and on being ever-changing.

For example, it feels axiomatic to fight in formations, so tactical feats that give people bonuses for flanking or fighting adjacent to you make sense. In that vein, feats that give bonuses when you're isolated from the others, or outnumbered in melee could work for anarchic feats.

I could also see feats that let you be geared to opposing the forces of law. To not just make them carbon copy of axiomatic ones, instead of defensive bonuses and attack bonuses, why not go in the direction of raising a spell/SLA DC vs lawful creatures or something along those lines?
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Edited in more information about morale in the army topic.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Heads up: The UK had the end of DST this weekend, therefore Eb will be here an hour late this week. This week always sucks since there's no way to help it; I'm going to try and run long most days to compensate.  This fixes itself in a week when the US falls back. You may have noticed Cor's been out of DST a couple of weeks now.
<Afina> Forever.

Merc

I had completely forgotten about DST until you mentioned it, actually. >_>
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Corwin

With the obstacle of shopping cleared, let's roll for our ritual tomorrow and fix up our shield? Incidentally, would the shield prevent our teleportation/dimensional travel? Can we make it accept us, but reject everyone else?

Corwin

[00:51] <Ilya> roll 1d20+21
[00:51] * Hatbot --> "Ilya rolls 1d20+21 and gets 40." [1d20=19]

GI roll for recalling any rumors of dragons from my travels, posted per your request, Dune.

Anastasia

Updates: Tepen posted, army topic updated, aurora updated with galuh board. More stuff coming tomorrow. The life of a DM is always hectic.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on November 03, 2011, 07:53:19 PM
[00:51] <Ilya> roll 1d20+21
[00:51] * Hatbot --> "Ilya rolls 1d20+21 and gets 40." [1d20=19]

GI roll for recalling any rumors of dragons from my travels, posted per your request, Dune.

Anyone else want to roll GI for this? I meant to post this Friday evening and shit got away from me.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

This isn't strictly a Balmuria question, but I'm putting it here anyway. Eb, is this the list of exotic material DR equivalences you used way back in the day for S&S and/or DC?

Adamantine:
        Alchemical Gold
        Black Steel
        Orichalcum
        N Metal
        Thinaun
        Urdrukar
    Iron:
        Blood Steel
        Green Steel
        Morghuth Iron
        Trusteel
    Silver:
        Pandemonic Silver
        Astral Driftmetal
        Entropium
        Nerra Mirrorblade
        Ysgardian Heartwire
        Mithril
    Stone:
        Tainted Obsidian
        Blended Quartz
        Elukian Clay
        Kaorti Resin
    Wood:
        Bronzewood
        Chitin
        Darkwood
        Iron wood
        Boneblade
        Dragon Bone
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

Nope. I don't even recognise a lot of those.

Anastasia

Since the rest of the fortress is devoid of resistance in wake of your attack, the following areas are of note. If you want to mess with any more areas in depth let me know.

Dead Forest: You were here when you fought the paeliryon. It seems to have no end or no exit save for the way you came. It goes on as far as you casually explore.
Shrine: A small, strange shrine is found deep underground in the fortress. The symbols within are strange, being that of a dead trees and branches. A K:R check is permitted here, post the results here.
Prison cells: The majority of the fortress is cells, all empty now. There are various dweomers on the doors to make escape difficult, and they are all dimensionally sealed. Spellcraft can be made if you desire to know more.
Gray wellspring: A small spring can be found in one room. It seems to be the same water-ice that flows from the waterfall above.
Treasury: There is indeed one. One section is empty - from the looks if it, it may have been holding something living. K:P can be made here. The other side has some gold, treasure and magical items. This side is untouched. Loot thread for that.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Various matters from around the horn:

1. Anyone have a better idea for keeping track of our buffs? I'm more than open to ideas here.
2. I'd like to reiterate that you should have your actions ready and typed out when your turn comes, so we can keep things moving as fast as possible.
3. Merc, I noticed you kept your mouth shut about how the barriers could be forced through. This isn't the first time you've kept knowledge check results to yourself and I think it's hurting the party. Why don't you just spread word of this to the others right off instead of keeping quiet? Knowing that may have changed the complexion of the battle.
4. Back in Balmuria 1, I had PCs control NPCs in battle, so that I could focus on the bad guys and keep things going better. Eb/Cor, would you two like to try that again? You two are generally the fastest, so if you're willing we can try that out again and see if it helps anything. I was rather overwhelmed with all that was going on plus various interjections about this or that thing or buff. It would help me focus on the battle and bad guys instead.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

Having buffs listed in #evil works. We started off doing that but it's fallen by the wayside, may be worth taking more note of.

I'm happy to control NPCs in battle. As a suggestion if you put a little tactics note in their sheets just so we can have a goto easy/IC strategy for them?

Merc

QuoteShrine: K:R
[18:23] <Merc> roll d20+12 K:R
[18:23] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls d20+12 K:R and gets 17." [d20=5]

QuoteTreasury: K:P
[18:24] <Merc> roll d20+13 Spellcraft
[18:24] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls d20+13 Spellcraft and gets 14." [d20=1]

QuotePrison cells: Spellcraft
[18:24] <Merc> roll d20+23 K:P
[18:24] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls d20+23 K:P and gets 41." [d20=18]

QuoteDune: 1. Anyone have a better idea for keeping track of our buffs? I'm more than open to ideas here.

Eb: Having buffs listed in #evil works. We started off doing that but it's fallen by the wayside, may be worth taking more note of.
Given we sometimes use #evil as a gaming channel, that particular channel might not be the best choice. Use one of the lesser used channels or make a dedicated channel for that and stuff like planar details.

Quote2. I'd like to reiterate that you should have your actions ready and typed out when your turn comes, so we can keep things moving as fast as possible.

I have been! >_>

Quote3. Merc, I noticed you kept your mouth shut about how the barriers could be forced through. This isn't the first time you've kept knowledge check results to yourself and I think it's hurting the party. Why don't you just spread word of this to the others right off instead of keeping quiet? Knowing that may have changed the complexion of the battle.
Honestly? I didn't think we'd have to spend as much time dispelling as we did, and I didn't think it was particularly useful to say so with nine barriers up.

Unless a single str check got one through all nine barriers, (and I was understanding that it was a str check at each barrier) that's kind of tough even for a raging Willim, and I knew each barrier hurt you too. Why would I send someone to force his way through each barrier, not knowing how much strength it would take when we had a lot of casters who were capable of dispeling barriers and that had already been suggested?

I would have mentioned it when we got down to fewer barriers, but Elrisa got pincushioned when there were still half of the barriers up and died the very next round. After that, well, I did give a physical demonstration trying it, and Willim was able to pick up on it too.

Even if I had mentioned it at the very start of the fight, would it really have made a difference? I personally don't think so, but I can keep it in mind for other fights.

Do note that I'm not the only one that has kept knowledge before though. I particularly recall my doing something that didn't work in Mistfall's cavern and being told "You'd have to ask Jaela or Afina to find out why it didn't work".

Quote4. Back in Balmuria 1, I had PCs control NPCs in battle, so that I could focus on the bad guys and keep things going better. Eb/Cor, would you two like to try that again? You two are generally the fastest, so if you're willing we can try that out again and see if it helps anything. I was rather overwhelmed with all that was going on plus various interjections about this or that thing or buff. It would help me focus on the battle and bad guys instead.
I don't mind helping with Adrian. I can post more quickly in fights than general play since we can pre-type stuff, so it doesn't matter too much if I type slower, and he's pretty simple to understand. He's really about the only NPC I would volunteer with right now though.

If Eb/Cor want to take charge of all the NPCs in general, that's fine too.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.