News:

"The truth is stranger than fiction, but not stranger than fanfiction."

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Jaela prays over Filmarous's ring!

To purify this ring, you must use only your own power and items to do so. You must find a blessed forgehammer of the highest quality. Take that and the ring and bathe with it in the River Oceanus, using the hammer to pound the ring 7 times.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Corwin

Let's go for the barracks, first? Since we're bringing our goons for a fight, we might as well boost their morale first. The MM trap can go next, barring complications.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Ebiris

Oh, we should make the memorial hall asap. I thought it was free, my mistake.

Anastasia

Okay. Just make sure I have a list by tomorrow evening.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

Lets go with this order. We have 74,549.24gp available to cover repairs costing 80,000gp. I'm confident we can cover the difference by exceeding the skill checks and getting the needed discount, but in the event of a shortfall Ithea and Afina have both volunteered to cover it from their savings.

We can take our time in heading to the Blue Dragon so that the repairs get done first, barring any random encounters on the way.

Memorial Hall (Keeps a wall list of the fallen, on touching a name an image of that fallen will appear):  20,000 gold; 3 DC 24 spellcraft checks; 4 days.
Improve soldier's barracks (Happier soldiers and better morale): 25,000 gold; 1 DC 23 K:A check; 1 DC 23 K:P check; 1 DC 23 K:N check; 10 days.
Improve magic missile trap to CL 30 and 30d4+30: 10,000 gold; 3 DC 20 spellcraft checks; 6 days.
Repair cafeteria(Restores full capacity): 15,000 gold; 2 DC 22 K:A checks and 1 DC 22 spellcraft check; 2 days.
Repair library sorting and translation system(Takes 1 hour to consult with the library on a check): 10,000 gold; 1 DC 20 spellcraft check; 2 days

Corwin

Sure. Our repairs cost 76k, anyway, due to existing 5% discount. I doubt we'll be in the red after this.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Quote from: Ebiris on December 04, 2011, 08:11:08 AM
Lets go with this order. We have 74,549.24gp available to cover repairs costing 80,000gp. I'm confident we can cover the difference by exceeding the skill checks and getting the needed discount, but in the event of a shortfall Ithea and Afina have both volunteered to cover it from their savings.

We can take our time in heading to the Blue Dragon so that the repairs get done first, barring any random encounters on the way.

Memorial Hall (Keeps a wall list of the fallen, on touching a name an image of that fallen will appear):  20,000 gold; 3 DC 24 spellcraft checks; 4 days.
Improve soldier's barracks (Happier soldiers and better morale): 25,000 gold; 1 DC 23 K:A check; 1 DC 23 K:P check; 1 DC 23 K:N check; 10 days.
Improve magic missile trap to CL 30 and 30d4+30: 10,000 gold; 3 DC 20 spellcraft checks; 6 days.
Repair cafeteria(Restores full capacity): 15,000 gold; 2 DC 22 K:A checks and 1 DC 22 spellcraft check; 2 days.
Repair library sorting and translation system(Takes 1 hour to consult with the library on a check): 10,000 gold; 1 DC 20 spellcraft check; 2 days

Sounds good! Okay, that's my list then.

---

In other news, expect a paeliryon rewrite posted sooner or later. The original stat block has problems, including invalid feat selections.
<Afina> Forever.

Merc

Are we playing on monday? Also, any chance of doing rolls before session? I can roll all of my K:A rolls and aid another rolls and post results.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Anastasia

Quote from: Merc on December 04, 2011, 03:25:20 PM
Are we playing on monday? Also, any chance of doing rolls before session? I can roll all of my K:A rolls and aid another rolls and post results.

That's not a bad idea. Who's rolling the various checks?
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Information for the Manual of the Planes topic goes below here.

A note about divine realms: Divine realms are subject to changes depending on the will of the deity or deities that control the realm. While base alignment traits will not change, it is possible to change between mild and strong alignment. Other traits are as variable as the deity wishes. Most divine realms are fairly stable, fortunately, and seldom change.

Water

- Subjective Directional Gravity. It's like Air, 'cept it's all water. Air bubbles that have land have normal gravity.

- Infinite size, as normal for a plane.

- Water dominant.

- Water magic is enlarged and extended. Fire magic is impeded, DC 15 + spell level to cast fire spells.

House of the Triad

- Strongly good and law aligned.

- Magic with the good or lawful descriptor is enlarged and extended. Magic with both descriptors is maximized and empowered as well.

- Magic with the chaotic and evil descriptors are inhibited. A DC 20 + level spellcraft check is needed to cast them.

Arborea

- Mildly good and chaos aligned.

- Normal magic.

Brightwater

- Mildly good and chaos aligned.

Note: Exact traits vary from realm to realm of Brightwater. Waukeen's realm has slightly different traits than Sune's, for example.

Hades

- Strongly evil aligned.

- Entrapping. Any mortal that spends an uninterrupted week within Hades is in risk of becoming a petitioner of Hades. The base will save to resist is 10 + number of consecutive weeks in Hades, however, the check can change in both DC and timing in certain parts of Hades.

Limbo

- Strongly chaos aligned.

Beyond there, Limbo changes too much for any traits to universally apply.

<Afina> Forever.

Merc

I'm assuming cunning knowledge doesn't apply to these rolls for same reason as other typical skill buffs? If it does, I'd add +1 to my rolls, for what that's worth.

As for who's doing what roll, I'll roll main on K:A and K:P since I have best mod for those, and rolling aid on all the others. I'd assume Afina is rolling main on K:N and Spellcraft and aid on the others, while Jaela is just rolling aid.

QuoteMemorial Hall, DC: 24, 24, 24
(Aid) Spellcraft Roll 1
Hatbot --> "Merc rolls d20+16 memorial spellcraft aid 1 and gets 30." [d20=14]
(Aid) Spellcraft Roll 2
Hatbot --> "Merc rolls d20+16 memorial spellcraft aid 2 and gets 35." [d20=19]
(Aid) Spellcraft Roll 3
Hatbot --> "Merc rolls d20+16 memorial spellcraft aid 3 and gets 18." [d20=2]

QuoteSoldier's Barracks, DC: 23, 23, 23
(Main) K:A Roll 1
Hatbot --> "Merc rolls d20+24 barracks K:A main 1 and gets 43." [d20=19]
(Main) K:P Roll 2
Hatbot --> "Merc rolls d20+24 barracks K:P main 2 and gets 32." [d20=8]
(Aid) K:N Roll 3
Hatbot --> "Merc rolls d20+16 barracks K:N aid 3 and gets 22." [d20=6]

QuoteMM Trap, DC: 20, 20, 20
(Aid) Spellcraft Roll 1
Hatbot --> "Merc rolls d20+16 MM Trap spellcraft aid 1 and gets 28." [d20=12]
(Aid) Spellcraft Roll 2
Hatbot --> "Merc rolls d20+16 MM Trap spellcraft aid 2 and gets 17." [d20=1]
(Aid) Spellcraft Roll 3
Hatbot --> "Merc rolls d20+16 MM Trap spellcraft aid 3 and gets 31." [d20=15]

QuoteCafeteria, DC: 22, 22, 22
(Main) K:A Roll 1
Hatbot --> "Merc rolls d20+24 cafeteria K:A main 1 and gets 34." [d20=10]
(Main) K:A Roll 2
Hatbot --> "Merc rolls d20+24 cafeteria K:A main 2 and gets 28." [d20=4]
(Aid) Spellcraft Roll 3
Hatbot --> "Merc rolls d20+16 cafeteria spellcraft aid 3 and gets 34." [d20=18]

QuoteLibrary, DC 20
(Aid) Spellcraft Roll 1
Hatbot --> "Merc rolls d20+16 library spellcraft aid 1 and gets 21." [d20=5]
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Anastasia

Okay. If any NPCs are helping speak up now and I'll roll 'em.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

While not required, I recommend reading this in the voice of Troy McClure.

Polymorph and you!

Hi there! As you may know, polymorph spells are partially banned in Balmuria. Any spell that allows a choice of forms or unfixed form is banned, as is baleful polymorph. Notable spells that are banned include:

Polymorph
Baleful Polymorph
Polymorph Any Object
Shapechange
Draconic Polymorph (Draconomicon)
Metamorphosis (Psionic ability)

The only notable exception is alter self. Otherwise, assume any unmentioned power that falls under the above criteria is banned.

What is allowed are spells from the the Polymorph subschool introduced in Complete Mage and the Players Handbook 2. If you're not familiar with them or need a refresher, the rules can be found here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060501a&page=5 . These rules allow the use of shapechanging spells without many of the inherent problems that polymorph brings to the game. A single fixed form with a limited duration can be handled far better than the mutable and malleable rules of Polymorph. In addition different forms each get a spell, which can be customized to whatever spell level the DM feels appropriate. So did you get all that? Great!

However, the polymorph subschool spells aren't perfect. Some of them need tweaks to properly fix some mechanical or flavor snags. Below is a list of various polymorph spells, any changes and why those changes are being made.

Rule 1: Spells that grant a form with alignment subtypes gains the matching descriptors.
Rule 2: Spells that grant a form with a subtype like cold or fire grant the matching descriptors, if applicable.

Complete Mage:
Spoiler: ShowHide

Aspect of the Icy Hunter: Add the cold descriptor to this spell. Rule 2.
Dreaded Form of the Ice Tyrant: Do note that beholders replace the finger of death ray with a harm ray. This is due to no instant death spells in Balmuria, but you already knew that, right?
From of the Threefold Beast: No changes.
Shape of the Hellspawned Stalker: Add the evil and lawful descriptors to this spell. Rule 1.
Unyielding Form of Inevitable Death: Add the lawful descriptor to this spell. Rule 1.

Player's Handbook 2:

Dragonform: Add the fire descriptor. Rule 2.
Trollshape: No changes.

Dragon Magic:

Aspect of the Chromatic Dragon: There are problems with the spell. First of all, an aspect is a significant expression of divine power. This is not something that falls under CR 13, let alone sub-epic. Second of all, one does not simply transform into an aspect of a deity. Divine power doesn't work that way, it's not something you can mimic with a spell like that. Third of all, even if a spell to grant the form of an aspect existed, it would be a closely guarded secret of the faith and access would be deeply restricted. In light of that I'm banning access to this spell.
Aspect of the Platinum Dragon: See above.
Dragonshape, Least: No changes.
Dragonshape, Lesser: Add the fire descriptor to this spell. Rule 2.
Form of the Desert Hunter: No changes.

Drow of the Underdark:

Note: Yes drow are banned. Non-drow material in the book isn't. Lyris had a feat from it, for example.

Dridershape: Banned due to the drowban.
Spiderform, all three spells: Add the evil descriptor, as it grants the fiendish template to the polymorph. While not purely of the evil subtype, it's close enough to warrant the descriptor.

Complete Scoundrel:

Aquatic Escape: No changes.
Winged Watcher: No changes. This spell is theoretically bad design, since you really shouldn't be giving out flight with a first level spell. Under the conditions of it, and the fact that this is a high level game, I don't see it as a big deal.

There you have it. Questions below.

So Ko, can I take natural spell to keep casting in a polymorphed form?

Nope, you sure can't! Most likely you don't qualify since none of you are druids or have wild shape. Even if you do qualify and take it, the polymorph subschool specifically removes your class powers and replaces them with the powers of your new form.

About that, so if I use a polymorph subschool spell I lose all my class features? What about bonus feats?

Good question! Your feats are replaced as well. With the exceptions noted in the subschool rules, you take on the entire stat block of the creature you transform into.

Can I modify or retrain my polymorphed form, or do I have to use a standard stat block for the creature.

You use a standard statblock for the creature. The magic works as a template, giving you the typical powers of the creature you've transformed into. The exception are the generally cosmetic changes noted within the subschool - height, weight, eye color, hair color and so forth, within racial norms.

This blows! I'm wearing 200k in magical bling and I lose it all when I transform?

You sure do! There is one way around it for sure - wilding clasps from the MIC. While meant for wild shape, these clasps can be used for spells of the polymorph subschool as well. There may be other options in splatbooks that I've missed, feel free to investigate and let me know. In my opinion, the clasps are worth if you're shifting a lot and not otherwise.  Of course, your opinions may vary!

I have this great idea for a form but there's no spell for it!

No problem! What you're doing to do is take a look at your form, compare it to existing spells, and create a brand new spell! I'll take a look at it and let you know. Pretty easy! Do remember that just because you can make a spell doesn't mean I'll approve it. Use common sense.

So I have ideas now! Anything I should know?

Remember how descriptors work if you choose a form of an alignment exemplar. Those can trip you up, especially along the law-chaos axis. While nothing in the polymorph subschool rules prohibits you from creating an undead form with a new spell, do note that like any other spell that creates the undead, that spell would have the evil descriptor. If a creature has an ability that's banned in this game, talk to me about it.

Also, if you take any spells from this school, I'm going to expect you to have the stats of the form prepared at all times. I'm not going to be happy if we have a hold up because you transformed and now need to figure out how your new form works. Know yourself and your powers.

Jaela has a polymorphy spell that gives her angel powers but doesn't follow these rules! What's up?

There are certain spells that function much like polymorph spells, but aren't truly so or operate in a gray area. Some work as buffs, giving bonuses similar to what the base creature has. Others are closer to it, changing types and subtypes. I'm going to be reviewing these spells and bringing them into order in due time.  These fall in the realm of judgment calls and will be resolved at a later date.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

Go ahead and roll for me by all means, Dune.

Knowledge (Nature) +24
Spellcraft +24

Anastasia

I'm going to bed like now, eyes slamming shut. Cor, if you're around and wanna do this for Eb and do your own rolls, feel free.
<Afina> Forever.