News:

Populated by the admins and moderators of your other favorite sites!

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Greater Mighty Wallop houseruled and reduced to a flat +2 size category boost. What's that put your damage at, Willim? Curious now.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Yuthirin

What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Okay, we'll see how that rolls then. should be more reasonable.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Sylvie's sheet updated with daily darkvision+greater magic weapon+greater mighty wallop. She's only a 7th level monk (2 levels + monk's belt) so she goes from 2d6 to 2d10. Worth a spell slot but not uber.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Corwin

Wanting to confirm one way or the other...

-Is the Mystic Wanderer prc eligible as is? Does it need any changes in any way?
-Does an animated shield negate the abilities of a Monk?
-Does an animated shield negate the abilities of a Battle Dancer?
-Does an animated shield negate the abilities of a Mystic Wanderer?
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on January 20, 2012, 08:48:54 AM
-Is the Mystic Wanderer prc eligible as is? Does it need any changes in any way?

Alchemy becomes craft(alchemy) in the requirements. Everything else is fine. Do note that glory of the divine only works without armor.

Quote-Does an animated shield negate the abilities of a Monk?

RAW grey area. It depends on how you want to interpret 'carries a shield' and if you feel it violates RAI. I'm fine with personally. Same with Battle Dancer. It works with Mystic Wanderer, as it only mentions armor and nothing about shields.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

I wonder if I have the same book. Magic of Faerun, right? In mine, the Weapon and Armor Proficiency section mentioned shields, but it was a lot like the monk/battle dancer stuff. The way it's written, the reason is not being able to move with this constricting your actions, so an animated shield shouldn't interfere with that so I figured why not ask.

Can you have levels in monk and battle dancer at the same time? Or would you prefer a clear choice between them?

EDIT: Also, a Divine Shield question. It gives a boost of +cha to your shield as a Shield bonus to AC.
Let's say you have a masterwork heavy steel shield that gives +2 to AC, and you have a Charisma mod of +10. When you activate Divine Shield, do you get +12 to AC as a Shield bonus? Let's say you have a +3 heavy steel shield for a total of +5 to AC, if you use Divine Shield on it, do you then get +15 to AC?

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on January 20, 2012, 01:59:37 PMCan you have levels in monk and battle dancer at the same time? Or would you prefer a clear choice between them?

If you can get around the alignment restrictions - the Master's +1 godblooded template is what accomplishes this for him - there's no reason why you couldn't.

QuoteEDIT: Also, a Divine Shield question. It gives a boost of +cha to your shield as a Shield bonus to AC.
Let's say you have a masterwork heavy steel shield that gives +2 to AC, and you have a Charisma mod of +10. When you activate Divine Shield, do you get +12 to AC as a Shield bonus?

That is correct.

QuoteLet's say you have a +3 heavy steel shield for a total of +5 to AC, if you use Divine Shield on it, do you then get +15 to AC?

Yep. Eudard used it in Balmuria 1 for that reason and it's really a great AC booster.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Idle question while I'm working on some things. Factotum 16 grants int to AC and Sylvie already has that. I'd rather not start double-dipping a stat like that, so I'm considering an ACF. Anyone have any ideas?
<Afina> Forever.

Merc

Technically, she already has cunning defense which lets her double dip it? Though admittedly, that's against a single opponent and one round. Still, do you want to ACF both abilities, or is it just the improved version that worries you because it's a permanent bonus?

Ideas:
How about something involving assistance, where maybe she can grant the use of one of her other factotum abilities to someone else for an inspiration cost of say 3+normal cost of ability (cost too low?), the ability having the same duration/effects as it would for Sylvie? Probably a little too good and not sure how well it'd fit her personality currently.

Since she's a jack of all trades type, perhaps an ability that lets her use cunning knowledge more than once per day per skill? I would note that this is an ability in the custom prestige archivist admittedly, and since that's already set up as a factotum PrC, crossover is kinda meh, but if you have no other ideas it could be an option.

Another crossover type idea, give her access to rogue's special ability "Skill Mastery"?

Since arcane dilettante requires one memorize spells, perhaps an ability that gives her some versatility at the cost of both using up inspiration and the trade has to be for a lower level spell? Alternatively, being able to memorize same spell more than once per day (or perhaps combine this with the versatility effect to get around the 1/day limit)?
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Corwin

Quote from: Anastasia on January 20, 2012, 10:03:13 PM
Quote from: Corwin on January 20, 2012, 01:59:37 PMCan you have levels in monk and battle dancer at the same time? Or would you prefer a clear choice between them?

If you can get around the alignment restrictions - the Master's +1 godblooded template is what accomplishes this for him - there's no reason why you couldn't.

Dragon 335's variant monk (the appropriately-named Chaos Monk, p67) would work for anyone interested?

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on January 21, 2012, 06:39:27 AM
Quote from: Anastasia on January 20, 2012, 10:03:13 PM

Dragon 335's variant monk (the appropriately-named Chaos Monk, p67) would work for anyone interested?

It should. Interestingly it doesn't explicitly give then normal wis to AC for monks anywhere in the class. It's most likely an oversight since it's only listed in the text for the normal monk and not on the table.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

I saw it as them listing only the changes and not the full table, since it's listed as a monk variant.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on January 21, 2012, 02:33:57 PM
I saw it as them listing only the changes and not the full table, since it's listed as a monk variant.

Yeah, probably. It could use being pointed out in particular, though that could also be said of default monk.
<Afina> Forever.