News:

Because we're grown ups now, and its our turn to decide what that means.

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on January 25, 2012, 06:29:04 AM-Can Evil people love?

Anything's possible. Of course, that doesn't mean the love will be expressed in a good way even if it does happen. Assuming Love=Good and Love=Redemption is a fallacy. For example, a stalker who becomes hopelessly obsessed with a woman, stalks her, kills her husband and kidnaps her to be his forever could be said to love that woman very much. Love is generally a positive trait, but it's not always used in a good way. Amid fiends and other concentrated sources of evil, love is far rarer. When it does happen, it is often a hideous thing so twisted that few realize what it is. After all, if Orcus murders a woman and raises her as a hideous abomination for all time because he likes her, it's hard to realize he likes her in the first place.

Antenora touched on this a few times in Balmuria 1. She was firmly convinced that even if Della and Alicia had fallen for each other, it would've lead to a far darker and tragic result of Alicia falling into evil. After all, what makes you more vulnerable than love and what fiend can't coldly manipulate that? Alicia would be HERS, and she would ensure it works out that way. She's damning you because she wants you.

Quote-What is horrible about being a vampire to the vampire? Are they constantly suffering from hunger? Urges they need to suppress? Specifics would help.

Make an K:R check and post the results.

Quote-You said Deathless (ie 'good undead') existed, right? How does that work?

Deathless are spirits and guardian made for a holy purpose. For example, a guardian spirit of a forgotten temple might be a deathless. While many of the qualities are the same, deathless are not a 1-1 equivalency to undead. They are much rarer than undead and do not create spawn. The Heavens generally prefer to rotate mortal servants, send an outsider or even grant a mortal an extended lifespan over using deathless, but occasionally one is simply the best or only answer.

Of note, deathless do not create spawn and do not reproduce. They are each a creation of a higher power. They often have conditions that allow them to rest once fulfilled. Ultimately, any deathless moves on in time. They have paradise waiting for them, be it as a part of it, a petitioner, reborn as an outsider or something else.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Corwin

[20:22] <Jaela> roll 1d20+20+15 K:R
[20:22] * Hatbot --> "Jaela rolls 1d20+20+15 K:R and gets 39." [1d20=4]
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

This assumes a typical vampire. Variants aren't covered by this.

In general terms, vampires suffer from the hunger. They have unholy cravings to consume blood, falling into a frenzy if they do not consume enough. They also certainly have urges and new desires unless they were already vile things before being turned. But to a vampire, these aren't problems. A vampire -likes- drinking blood. A vampire likes indulging in these new urges. Oh certainly, none like the limitations of the vampiric existence, but few are truly repelled by what they are. Remember, vampires are filled with evil power on creation. They are changed in many ways; evil doesn't create a bunch of mopey vampires who angst around and wish they weren't vampires. At the same time, they suffer the constant hunger, the urges, the needs to dominate and control, plus the ever-present weaknesses of vampire-kind. Vampires are eternal manipulators and gluttons. They manipulate and seduce, but ultimately destroy anything they touch with their insatiable hunger.

A vampire who regrets what it is has already left the norm for vampire-kind. This may be the sign of a rare individual who shakes off its vampiric nature. These may be the unluckiest of all, for they can come to regret what they have become, but are seldom able to resist their nature.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Spells for Ithea and interrogation reports will be posted tomorrow. Ideally before session but we'll see how that goes.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

This came up in #dunes today. I figured I'd post it. There's all sorts of interesting and unique things out there.

Earthbone Steel

This super-dense iron is mined in tiny deposits within Earth, usually no more than the size of a human's thumb. Thereafter it is smelted into steel through secret processes by the greatest blacksmiths of Earth. Earthbone Steel is approximately four times denser and heavier than steel. It possesses quadruple the hardness and hit points of normal steel. It is not suitable for slashing or piercing weapons, offering no benefit to them. Bludgeoning weapons deal triple the normal damage dice when made of Earthbone Steel. For example, a heavy mace made of Earthbone Steel would deal a base of 3d8 damage. In addition, the critical hit multiplier of the bludgeoning weapon is increased by 1. When used to make armor, the base armor bonus of the armor is doubled. For example, full plate armor made of Earthbone Steel has an armor bonus of +16. Earthbone Steel has no price, as it is jealousy horded. It is said it takes millennia to find enough deposits to craft a single weapon or suit of armor, and magic is ineffective at duplicating its extreme hardness.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

[23:01] <Jaela> roll 1d20+18+15 Gathgorian
[23:01] * Hatbot --> "Jaela rolls 1d20+18+15 Gathgorian and gets 50." [1d20=17]

Anastasia

New rule that's going in houserules! Whenever you re-roll a knowledge check thanks to leveling up and gaining more ranks, paste the results of the previous check or say that the check failed. It lets me reference what you were told. Thanks. I'll paste the last one in this case for the sake of edification.

QuoteJaela: Gathgorian is the Supreme Command Sergeant Major of the Pits. He is an ancient and powerful cornugon that serves in the Blood War, the highest non-commissioned officer in Baator's military structures. He directly advises Abigor, Bel, the Dark Ministry and other powerful entities about the Blood War. It's extremely rare for him to leave the front lines for anything, be it politics, rest or anything else. While not a Duke of Hell in official rank, he commands great amounts of respect in Hell.

Quote from: Corwin on January 26, 2012, 05:02:06 PM
[23:01] <Jaela> roll 1d20+18+15 Gathgorian
[23:01] * Hatbot --> "Jaela rolls 1d20+18+15 Gathgorian and gets 50." [1d20=17]

Gathgorian is said to be the strongest cornugon in existence. Some go so far as to call him the paragon of cornugons. He has all the traits of a cornugon and magnifies them, such as chain lightning in place of lightning bolt and stronger spells yet at his disposal. In addition he is known to be a Prosecutor, a powerful agent who opposes chaos in all of its forms. He has faced demon lords (but perhaps not demon princes) in the Blood War and has emerged triumphant. He is one of the few (and likely only) non-nobles who could potentially make a play for Bel's position if he chose to, and it is said the only reason that he is not a member of the nobility is that because he cannot get enough of battle. He lives for combat. He cares nothing for prestige, rank or wealth. Along with Bel, Abigor and other powerful, ancient warriors of the Blood War, he is a honed weapon forged by countless eons of combat.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Okay. Starting on the 15th of Febuary, Yuth's schedule is going to become more compressed due to picking up more hours at work. There was some discussion on picking up Sundays for gaming if this happens. Is this realistic for all of us, should we need to do that?

This is only contingent on needing it. If we don't need it, I'm inclined to leave Sundays clear. It'll be a conflict come football season, but that's over half a year away.
<Afina> Forever.

Merc

Like I said in IRC, whenever is fine for me so far.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Ebiris

I'm around on Sundays.

As far as Afina's current agenda goes, she wants to give the tall elves a helpful wondrous item or weapon/armour in the 8,000gp range as thanks for bringing Rennar to us, and continue summoning and interrogating devils until the gang's all back. Then she wants to raid Bloodletting Peak and hopefully rescue Ilsenine.

Yuthirin

I'm all for rescuing Ilsenine.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Updating. What else needs to be added? The order listed isn't the order of priority, this is just keeping them all listed. Bold is done, italics is in progress.

1. Get apples of Idun for the sage.
2. Save Elrisa's old allies from the human-dwarf alliance.
3. Talk to Tannin. (Currently away on Ithea's latest request.)
4. Try tracking down the Limbo dragon corpses and casting speak dead on them to find hordes. You forgot to go back for them, didn't you?
5. Find out about the devils with Afina's Queen and Tepen's soul so both can be liberated.
6. Find another green dragon so you can recruit Gisfal.
7. PCs get a weapon suitable for murdering Lixer.
8. Go to layer 209 and find the portal to 210.
9. Slaughter Lixer and take his stuff.
10. Save Ilsenine from the Bloodletting Peak.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Miscellaneous information is as follows.

---

I've been working on a few touch spells for duskblade and epic duskblade. Here are the two so far. Feedback welcome.

Prismatic Touch
Evocation
Level: Duskblade 5, Sor/Wiz 5
Components: V, S.
Casting Time: 1 standard action.
Range: Touch.
Target: Creature touched.
Duration: Instantaneous.
Saving Throw: See text.
Spell Resistance: Yes.

On casting this spell, your hand is surrounded with rainbow light. A successful melee touch attack blinds a creature of six or less hit dice for 2d4 rounds. In addition, they are affected as if targeted by a Prismatic Spray spell. Roll the results as normal and apply that to the target.

Black Ice Touch
Necromancy
Level: Duskblade 6
Components: V, S.
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

Calling on the sigil of portals, you transform your hand into a momentary conduit to the quasi-elemental plane of Vacuum. Your touch attack deals 1d6 points of cold damage per level (maximum 15d6) and deals 1d4 negative levels to the target. These negative levels fade in one hour per caster level (maximum 15 hours).

Greater Ghoul Touch
Necromancy
Level: Duskblade 6
Components: V, S, M
Range: Touch.
Target: Creature touched.
Duration: Permanent.
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates.
Spell Resistance: Yes.

This spell functions as Ghoul Touch, except as noted here. The paralysis and carrion stench are permanent. The carrion stench affects creatures in a 60ft radius of the target (except you).

---

Sylvie's build won't need a wizard dip. On checking and reading the feats involved, she qualifies for item creation feats and a few other things thanks to the caster level given by Factotum. She's going to be a level by level choice and appraisal.

---

Anyone have suggestions for an epic PrC? I've been toying with making another one. Suggestions welcome.

---

Rennar's exact class and build are to be announced.  Just a heads up, it won't be within the next day or two at least.

---

Anyone have a PrC they'd like to see in use? No guarantees that you'll see it - or if you do that it'll be on your side - but I'm curious.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Beta paladin spellcasting for 21-39. Fine tuning is still to come, as well as spell level adjustments and a few custom paladin spells. Suggestions for spells I missed are welcome, as well as any other suggestions.

Level5th6th7th8th9th
210----
221----
232----
243----
2530---
2631---
2732---
2833---
29330--
30331--
31332--
32333--
333330-
343331-
353332-
363333-

5th: atonement, celestial brillianceboed, condemnationphb2, crown of flameboed, cure critical wounds, dancing bladephb2, dawmshroudcov, divine agilitysc, divine retributioncc, flame strike, life's gracesc, light of puritycc, inner beautyfc1, mass cure light wounds, plane shift, radiancephb2, renewed vigorphb2, righteous might, sacred guardianboed, spell resistance, stalwart pactsc, telepathy blockboed, true seeing, vanishing weaponboed, vulnerabilitysc, wages of sincc, zone of peacebondcity, zone of respitesc.
6th: antilife shell, bolt of glorysc, celestial bloodboed, chasing perfectionphb2, crown of brillianceboed, greater dispel magic, heal, light of couragecc, mass bull's strength, mass cure moderate wounds, mass eagle's splendor, mass owl's insight, spiritual guardiancc, touch of adamantineboed, vengeance haloboedvisage of the deitysc, weight of sincc
7th: bastion of goodboed, brilliant bladesc, dictum, greater plane shiftsc, greater restoration, holy starsc, holy word, mass cure serious wounds, mass restorationsc, mass spell resistancesc, regenerate, repulsion, resurrection, rejuvenating lightcc, righteous burstphb2
8th: antimagic field, brilliant aurasc, crown of gloryboed, holy aura, lion's roarsc, mass cure critical wounds, mass death wardsc, shield of law, tomb of lightboed
9th: blinding gloryboed, gate, greater visage of the deitysc, mass heal, miracle, righteous exilefc2, undeath's eternal foesc

Superscript guide

sc Spell Compendium.
city Cityscape.
cc Complete Champion.
fc1 Fiendish Codex 1.
phb2 Player's Handbook 2.
boed Book of Exalted Deeds.
cov Champions of Valor.
fc2 Fiendish Codex 2.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

-I'm around on sundays, except for this one.

-I know you're reposting that list of priorities, but why not clean it up and eliminate what is irrelevant/done?

-My own priority has to be doing something about Elrisa's old allies. A plane shift over to give diplomacy a chance and seeing how the place looks at the same time should go quickly and painlessly.

On the next two, I'd like a refresher:

-What do we know about Bloodletting Peak?
-Do we have any reason to believe Ilsenine is there?