News:

"In closing, we have the best hobby ever. The End."

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

On returning to her quarters to prepare to her trip out, Jaela finds a scrap of parchment resting just outside her quarter's doors. It has a few words on it, then details an incantation, all written in 27's familiar hand.

They're coming. Stop them.

Repel the Crawling Ones
Abjuration
Effective Level: 3rd.
Skill Checks: Knowledge (Nature) DC 23, 2 successes.
Failure: Reversal.
Components: V, S, M.
Casting Time: 30 minutes.
Range: Touch.
Area: 100ft radius from touched point.
Duration: Permanent.
Saving Throw: See text.
Spell Resistance: No.

By drawing strange and non-linear symbols that repel vermin, you ward an area against intrusion by them. No creature of the vermin type can enter the warded area, by free will or by being forced. If attempted to be forced, the vermin will be pushed back by an equal force. Intelligent vermin are allowed a DC 23 will save to overcome this effect. A dispel magic effect can end this incantation. (Treat this incantation's caster level as 5 for the sake of this.)

Material Components

Oil and concentrated pungent smoke that costs no less than 200 gold.

Reversal

If the incantation is failed, vermin are instead inexorably drawn to the warded area.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Notes from around the horn:

Eb, what's your typical crafting price modification, all told? How much cheaper is it than standard?

Erinyes interrogations will be done tomorrow. I just didn't have it in me for whatever reason. If they aren't, Cor, kindly remind me until I do it.

Yuth, start thinking up a good story reason for your turtle to come to Aurora and join in. We can all spitball something together if you're having difficulty, the main goal is a smooth insertion. (Shut up)

Merc, if Adrian dies he's willing Ithea his sword.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Updating. What else needs to be added? The order listed isn't the order of priority, this is just keeping them all listed. Italics is in progress.

1. Get apples of Idun for the sage.
2. Save Elrisa's old allies from the human-dwarf alliance.
3. Find out about the devils so Tepen's soul can be liberated.
4. Find another green dragon so you can recruit Gisfal.
5. PCs get a weapon suitable for murdering Lixer.
6. Slaughter Lixer and take his stuff.

Any new ones to add to the pile post Ilsenine?
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

I'm not even sure how it would work, but doesn't Noble let our queen GI the stuff about Tepen's soul (who is the pit fiend that holds it, where is he, etc)? Or am I getting it wrong? If she had a chance to overhear it, we could aim for helping him out.

List the Mechanus trip? It's an NPC venture, but might as well?
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on February 09, 2012, 03:41:57 AM
I'm not even sure how it would work, but doesn't Noble let our queen GI the stuff about Tepen's soul (who is the pit fiend that holds it, where is he, etc)? Or am I getting it wrong? If she had a chance to overhear it, we could aim for helping him out.

That'll be touched on IC when Ilsenine holds court with Afina, Crystal and the other fey.

QuoteList the Mechanus trip? It's an NPC venture, but might as well?

It shall be updated when I update the list tomorrow, after everyone has a chance to speak up.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

Afina pays 35% of base item cost to make magical armour, magical weapons, and wondrous items.

Recruiting fey allies is now on the table with Ilsenine among us.

edit: sorry, price is halved first then 15% subtracted from that figure. Works out to... 42.5%

Corwin

Feats are awesome, how about moving to the Pathfinder model of getting feats more frequently?

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/character-advancement

Anastasia

Quoting this for Yuth and will add it to house rules, since he was curious about monk+animated shield shenanigans.

Quote-Does an animated shield negate the abilities of a Monk?

RAW grey area. It depends on how you want to interpret 'carries a shield' and if you feel it violates RAI. I'm fine with personally. Same with Battle Dancer. It works with Mystic Wanderer, as it only mentions armor and nothing about shields.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on February 09, 2012, 06:09:14 PM
Feats are awesome, how about moving to the Pathfinder model of getting feats more frequently?

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/character-advancement

No.

This is a fairly high power game already and it's gestalt. I'm not going to open things up even further by giving you guys more feats for free. If you need feats, go take some levels in fighter. Anyway, Pathfinder tends to water down each feat to compensate. Look at how the combat maneuver feats are handled in them versus the 3.5 incarnations. That's just way too much crap to bring in and frankly, you guys don't need more feats.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Updating. What else needs to be added? The order listed isn't the order of priority, this is just keeping them all listed. Italics is in progress.

1. Get apples of Idun for the sage.
2. Save Elrisa's old allies from the human-dwarf alliance.
3. Find out about the devils so Tepen's soul can be liberated.
4. Find another green dragon so you can recruit Gisfal.
5. PCs get a weapon suitable for murdering Lixer.
6. Slaughter Lixer and take his stuff.
7. Mechanus delegation, pending some cash.
<Afina> Forever.

Merc

<Afina> Bad news on the traitors.
<Afina> They're unsummonable.
<Ithea> Laaaame
<Ithea> I'll want to hunt down survivors from my side of town then. I figured most of them just settled and made a new life for themselves so I wasn't going to bug them about joining the crusade/liberation front, but maybe someone there knows something about our catfolk traitor.

Dunno if you want me to have to find them or if I have a rough idea of where they might be, if they settled on whatever prime people from my area of Lifasa fled to or if they just kept world hopping like I did, etc.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Anastasia

Replies and content promised tonight will be done tomorrow, as I'm having a massively unproductive evening.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

2 waits on you. Basically, as soon as Tannin is back with the info.
7 can go on their way, Dana is financing the expedition.
For 5, I think that my transmuting weapon should do the trick.

Corwin

Any chance I can convince you to drop the feat tax on Sudden Quicken so it only requires Quicken?

Anastasia

Yuth's spells since he wanted me to go over them.

Assume SRD spells are fine unless said otherwise.

1st level

Aquatic escape is fine. Camouflage is fine. Silvered Claws is fine; it's from the BoED but it's not a sanctified spell or anything like that. Thunderhead is fine and hilarious. Winged Watcher is fine. Spider Hand is fine. Odd source, but it's fine.

2nd level

Blinding Spittle is fine. Desiccate is fine but an odd spell for a water elemental, going for water control or something? Earthbind is fine. Halo of Sand is fine. Luminous Armor is out; that's sanctified magic and you need to be of exalted alignment to memorize those spells.

3rd level

Attune Form is fine. Arctic Haze is fine. Thornskin is fine. Spiritjaws is fine, but write up the attack block for them and have that ready on your sheet, including CMB for its grapple. No to Venomfire; heaps of uncapped acid damage per strike isn't a particularly well balanced spell.

4th level

Blast of Sand is fine. Superior Magic Fang is fine; bear in mind that your shapeshift forms give an enhancement bonus to your attack rolls so this should be 100% redundant. (See below for the text, since I bet you missed it, as Superior Magic Fang is self only) Do you have a way to use it on your companion or some other way to not make it un-worthwhile? Vortex of Teeth is fine.

5th level

Blizzard is fine.

6th level

Bite of the Werebear is fine. Superior Resistance is fine. No to Energy Immunity, it's on the banned spells list. It exists, but as an epic spell instead.

7th level

Master Earth is fine, do note it only works on the Material Plane and will likely be useless 99% of the time. Rain of Roses is fine, Tuxedo Kamen. Word of Balance is fine, but be aware that the HD based nature of those abilities tend to hobble them against powerful foes and it would be houseruled to have a saving throw like holy word and its kin are. Also the killed result is ignored as it is for holy word and its cousins.

8th level

Leonal's Roar is fine, see above with Word of Balance, all comments there would apply here. I'll post a little later about Frostfell, since that requires refreshing myself on the various mechanics from Frostburn. Stormrage is fine.

Shapeshift enhancement bonus text: [spoiler]

When you shapeshift into a form other than your own, you gain natural weapons (and reach with those weapons) as described below. These natural weapons gain an enhancement bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls equal to 1/4 your druid level, and at 4th level and higher they are treated as magic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
<Afina> Forever.