News:

"Why do you call it soulriders?"
"Because we grind your souls, hopes, and dreams down ... and ride the wave."

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merc

Fair enough. Those spell point tables do actually give less spells/day strictly on a cost basis to the tables, but that's mostly due to the flexibility of casting. That aside, I do still think duskblades should get more spell points than bards, and focused spell-list casters should get more spells than sorcs.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Anastasia

Yeah, right now it's all in the fiddling stages. Fair enough.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Ebiris

I have no idea? I guess if it works for you then great, I just dunno how it'd play out so can offer no opinion.

Ebiris

On reflection, though, if it's to remain balanced it's a bit like six of one and half a dozen of the other, so why bother?

Corwin

Quote from: Anastasia on February 16, 2012, 08:21:28 PM
I'd have to check the math but that looks right. Someone's going to want multiaction once epic rolls 'round.

Everyone wants multiaction, although I'm intending to have more options available, not so much have them all work at once.

Quote from: Anastasia on February 16, 2012, 08:24:32 PM
DM NAGGING INCOMING

I've been off and on toying around with converting to some manner of spell point system. I already favor using spontaneous casters instead of prepared casters, and this would push things even further in that direction. Is there interest at all? Like or dislike? Let me know.

This is all purely in the realm of what if right now. No change is immediately incoming, but I've been considering this for awhile. It'll be a considerable effort, so if there is no interest or opposition, say so.

A second (third?) expression of opposition to this.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Corwin

I saw it come up in #e so I'll elaborate on that. My original plan for the diplo trip, Afina aside, was:

1. Crystal, 2. Hanna and Annalise, 3. Tannin and Morniel

The list just kept on getting expanded each time the plan advanced to execution. This assumes they all still want to go and all can go, same as they did when I originally asked them.

---

That aside, can we try to settle the 21 bit first thing today? Even if it just ends with Sylvie going 'I need to think about it' or whichever. I don't want to be distracted over it.

Yuthirin

Ko, there's a couple of questions that I have for you regarding some spells.

Firstly, I found a spell called Last Breath in Masters of the Wild that looked useful, and I wanted to know if it would be useable and if the standard ressurrection rules would apply.

Secondly, is there a difference between most ressurrection spells and True Ressurrection in your world? This has been scratching at the inside of my head for a while, but I only seem to remember it when I bed down for the night. I wrote it down last night to remind myself. o_o
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Corwin

Pretty sure Dune banned a cleric spell that did exactly that (Revivify). Both are in the Spell Compendium.

Yuthirin

What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Corwin

I have a spell question myself. Adept Spirit, p98 Magic of Incarnum. Is it eligible? Is it eligible to only those who have the Incarnum Spellshaping feat?

For the Dispelling Cord (MIC p94), can it come in a version that does activation as a free action instead of a swift one?

Corwin

Is there a sort of Code of Conduct for an Anarchic character? An Exalted one? If not a code of 'what to do', how about a code of 'what not to do'? I think it would be very helpful, with the accepted caveat that things can't be neatly summarized into a few short lines. Still, as a general guideline it would be priceless, Dune.

Anastasia

Okay, no go on spell points then.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on February 17, 2012, 12:31:57 PMSecondly, is there a difference between most ressurrection spells and True Ressurrection in your world? This has been scratching at the inside of my head for a while, but I only seem to remember it when I bed down for the night. I wrote it down last night to remind myself. o_o

Just Resurrection. It's in Resurrection Rules in houserules, I'll paste it here. It works a lot like True Resurrection but is contingent on divine will and uncertain chances. (Aside, if druids get the res line(forget if they do), they'd get access to this spell too. Do they get it or is it just reincarnate for them?) Generally this spell has to be specially requested and granted by a deity to do so. I've been ignoring this for Healers (and thus the Jarl) half on accident and half on purpose.  I sort of like that, I admit, since it gives the Healer another reason to exist. I digress, though.

Resurrection[spoiler]

Resurrection
Level: Clr 6
Components: V, S, M, DF
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: Touch
Target: Dead creature touched
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None.
Spell Resistance: No.

This spell raises the dead. This spell can even bring back creatures whose bodies have been destroyed, provided that you unambiguously identify the deceased in some fashion (reciting the deceased's time and place of birth or death is the most common method).

Upon completion of the spell, the creature is immediately restored to full hit points, vigor, and health, with no loss of level (or Constitution points) or prepared spells. Status conditions are removed unless stated otherwise. You can revive someone killed by a death effect or someone who has been turned into an undead creature and then destroyed. This spell cannot resurrect elementals or outsiders,nor can it resurrect constructs or undead creatures. In any case, the creature must succeed on a resurrection chance check or the spell fails.

This spell cannot be selected freely. A cleric can request it if they wish, but only their patron can decide if it should be allowed. At other times, a suitable cleric will find themselves granted with this spell, often with a stark vision of what is to be done with it.

Material Component

A droplet of fresh blood from the caster, to symbolize the rebirth given from the Gods.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on February 17, 2012, 01:40:37 PM
I have a spell question myself. Adept Spirit, p98 Magic of Incarnum. Is it eligible? Is it eligible to only those who have the Incarnum Spellshaping feat?

For the Dispelling Cord (MIC p94), can it come in a version that does activation as a free action instead of a swift one?

Yes, it requires Incarnum Spellshaping. Any spell with the Incarnum descriptor does.

Not without rebalancing it and reworking it entirely. It's possible, but the resulting cord would likely be markedly more expensive. I'd have to figure out how they priced it and work from there. Hold on a few for that.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on February 17, 2012, 04:28:11 PM
Is there a sort of Code of Conduct for an Anarchic character? An Exalted one?

No and no. Not in the sense that you're getting at, I think. There's no grand code that every Exalted person checks. I use guidelines usually and analyze behavior, choices and actions for each one. A few guidelines:

1. Make a good faith effort to ascribe to the spirit of that alignment.
2. Avoid acts of the other alignment, and neutral acts when possible. When you must choose between an easy neutral act and a hard good one, an exalted character does the good one every time.
3. Being an extreme alignment is a choice. It is an effort, a dedication. It does not mean one is free of sin or failure.

For what it's worth, I think Jaela hits one and three for exalted. Two is arguable, depending if you feel laying with Annalise (and sexual relations, from my understanding) is evil or not. I've largely avoided more information on this one on purpose, beyond noting that the Triune Goddess is giving you a fair deal of leeway here, as is the Seladrine. I think she hits all three for anarchic, to the point of possible detriment to other things.

Afina? Doesn't strike me as anarchic as much as fey. Her alignment is a result of her fey lifestyle and role more than defining her. She's not that sort of character. I could see her sliding more and more into evil without much change if she went Unseelie or anything like that.

Ithea's chaotic neutral, but but doesn't really pass muster into anarchic. The drive for that isn't there, nor is any dedication.

QuoteI think it would be very helpful, with the accepted caveat that things can't be neatly summarized into a few short lines. Still, as a general guideline it would be priceless, Dune.

It's generally a judgment call.
<Afina> Forever.