News:

I have a dream that one day, men will be punched in the face not for the color of their skin, but for the awful content of their character.

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merc

As Cor/Eb have claimed Crystal, Hanna, Annalise, Tannin and Morniel, and mechanus crew is Adrian, Annalise and Drena...

That leaves us with: Sylvie, Dana, Lief, the Master, and Arrel.

I'd rather not take any of the huge sized beings into a city, there is no fucking way I'm taking Ilsenine or Tepen, and I don't trust 27 not to burrow through someone's home. Also fuck taking care of the living spell that nobody's claiming responsibility for.

I don't think we need to take all five though. How many do you want to take and any preferences, Yuth? We at least need to take Sylvie for transportation. I'd probably say Sylvie, Dana and the Master. If the Master would prefer not to leave Aurora, then Arrel.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Anastasia

You'll need to wait a day for Sylvie to rememorize spells and she'd also tweak her loadout of spells slightly for it. Fair warning in case you wanted to go back that day.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Merc

I can wait a day. I'd be perfectly happy to go back all healed up!

Anastasia

Okay. Restore HP in topic and add relevant people into the topic.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

More nagging, since I might as well.

Dimensional Interference (Su)

At will, as a swift action, an orthon can emit a 20-foot-radius field that disrupts extradimensional movement. All creatures within the area are prevented from using any spell or spell-like ability that provides such movement, as if affected by a dimensional anchor spell. Each use of the field lasts for 4 rounds. There is no save against this ability.

Is it possible to get an item made with that exact ability? If so, how much would it cost, and which slot would it occupy?
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

With the exact ability? No. Monster abilities are not for sale for cash. Even if it was, it would likely be a hellforged item and out of your reach in any case.

Something that has the same net effect? That's possible. The simplest would be an item of dimensional lock.

> roll 8*15*2000
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 8*15*2000 and gets 240000."

A constant dimensional lock effect on an item would be an epic magical item in price, and can't say I don't disagree. Further, that's without any tweaking or ability to turn it on/off. So let's look at something less expensive for now. Say we make it a 3/day item that lasts for 1 minute.

> roll 8*15*2000
> roll 8*15*2000
> roll 5/3
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 5/3 and gets 1.6666666666667."
> roll 240000/1.66
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 240000/1.66 and gets 144578.31325301."

This doesn't factor in the ad-hoc adjustments for it only lasting a minute versus the day/level duration of dimensional lock. This isn't a serious imposition to the function of the item, and in fact is really how it's desired to be. This shouldn't be a serious discount for that reason. Let's knock it down to 140,000 even. This still allows spell resistance as it is using the spell in question. From there it descends further in the muddy world of DM fiat. The question that needs to be answered is: Do I want no save, no SR abilities to be for sale? As a general principal, the answer is no. However! I'm also active with people taking anti-teleportation and plane shift measures. These don't generally allow a saving throw, so this point is enough to allow an exception to that rule. So how does this look?

Barrier Amulet

This amulet resembles an Amulet of the Planes, except that looking at the amulet closely gives the impression of seeing a barred window. Three times per day as a swift action, the wearer may invoke a powerful field similar to dimensional lock in a 20ft radius, based on the amulet. This effect stops all dimensional travel and teleport within the radius of the effect. Portals and other natural points of travel between dimensions are non-functional while in the radius. This effect lasts for one minute.

Strong abjuration; CL 15; Craft Wondrous Item, dimensional lock; Price 140,000 gold.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

NPC loot priorities came up in a PM, so I'd like to elaborate on them. Generally, the first and most important factor is the what the character's interested in. This trumps practicalities sometimes and also means that every gold isn't spent on gear or related things. The second is practicality. Things that are needed to make the character work go here - Damage and more AC for Dana, metamagic rods for spellcasters, along with the typical things to boost essentials. This also includes belts of magnificence when possible, as getting stat boosting items done with and spoken for has a distinct appeal.

Of course, suggestions are always welcome. There's no guarantee an NPC will follow them due to personal choices, but they're always welcome.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Posting about the Icicle Rod in Frostburn, page 110-111. Query if it's fine RAW or if it needs tweaking.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

It's fine. Bear in mind that suffocation takes 2*con score rounds before you even start to have to save against it actual suffocation. The damage or con damage is almost certainly going to kill them before that, or they'll break out with the DC 20 strength check.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

I'm more interested in incapacitation, really.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

I figured, yeah. With a fort save to negate, SR and the chance of a DC 20 str check (quite easily made by  many monsters at this point) or fire damage breaking it (SLAs are common at this level, and they take purely mental effort, which is allowed by the spell), it's not going to kill anyone. Tying people up for a round or two is probably the ideal outcome for it.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Scratchpad of item costs for Afina's crafting. Posting this here since it may be useful for other people.

Price modifier is .425. Half off for making it yourself and then -15% off that for the laboratory adjustments. Afina can make wondrous items plus weapons/armor. With support staff I figure you guys cover the rest easily, and at worst Sylvie can spot fill in with her floating feat.

Notable items cost. The math otherwise is a straight 1/2 off. Really just listing out the mundane but useful magical items, so once these are dealt with more interesting things can be invoked. At these levels, making items with more than one enchantment is a lot more realistic. So are off-slot items or even slotless, though note the houserule about them.

+2 stat booster: 1700 gold.
+4 stat booster: 6800 gold.
+6 stat booster: 15300 gold.
Belt of Magnificence+4: 42500 gold.
Belt of Magnificence+6: 85000 gold.

Bracers of Armor+8: 27200 gold.
Armor+5: 10625 gold.
Armor+10: 42500 gold.
Ring of Protection+5: 21250 gold.
Cloak of Resistance+5: 10625 gold.
Robe of the Archmagi: 31875 gold.

Weapon+5: 21250 gold.
Weapon+10: 85000 gold.
Amulet of Mighty Fists+5: 63750 gold.

Mental note: Houserule epic item creation feats. I'll probably condense it down to one feat. No need for a huge epic feat tax. Same idea as removing the need for improved spell capacity every few levels.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Merc/Yuth: If today and tomorrow are a wash, can we do sometime later on Wednesday?
<Afina> Forever.

Merc

QuoteAs an aside, different job fair on wednesday too, so I probably won't be around then if you wanted to game then.
From attendance thread. That one starts at 10am as well, so I'd be around in the afternoon, but I couldn't say at what time I'd get back home.

Anastasia

That's fine, I was thinking later afternoon or evening if possible. It would depend on Yuth, I don't know his later day schedule.
<Afina> Forever.